Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

The scoop on 'Trio Nursery'

Trio Nursery

Trio Nursery has 235 products listed in PlantScout.

830 Toro Canyon Road
Santa Barbara, California 93108 (United States)

Phone: (805) 969 9178

Positive Arabella33
Hollywood, FL
July 19, 2016
The ordering process was easy and my order was handled quickly. I got a personal email from someone at the company thanking me for my business. But most importantly my plants arrived well wrapped and in great shape even though I am in zone 10 - which is not exactly forgiving during the summer months. I ordered two kinds of geraniums (Renee's Blush/Shannon's Passion) which were all clearly labeled and all the plants have flowers on them. They also enclosed some information about the plants which I found very helpful.
Neutral kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
June 28, 2016
I placed an order for fancy leaf pelargoniums based in part on the very positive reviews here on Dave's Garden - especially as several reviewers mentioned they received very large, substantial plants. Because of this, I didn't bat an eye at the fact that each plant was individually priced at $10.95 and in one case $12.95, as I was looking for good size fancy leafs to spruce up some container plantings for the summer. One pays more for instant gratification after all.

Everything arrived in good shape, but I have to say that I was rather surprised that the plants I received were actually quite small. The most expensive ones (of course) didn't even have branches yet, so visually they look like rooted cuttings. The plants seem to have good root systems, but given the price, I was expecting something closer to a full size plant. I did contact the nursery to give them some feedback (and suggest they be clearer in the online descriptions about what they will be sending out) and received a quick response that the fancy leafs I ordered are "dwarf/compact growers" and that "they are extremely difficult to propagate."

I am aware that the ease (or lack thereof) of propagation is reflected in cost, and I did notice that they were described as "compact" in their descriptions. To me that refers to how they can be expected to perform in the future - not necessarily what to expect to receive from the nursery.

I suspect the other reviewers who praised the large size plants they received must not have been ordering geraniums from Trio (they do specialize in drought tolerant plants), so I wanted to add to the comments here that the fancy leaf geraniums are quite small.

Positive GardenerABC
Odessa, FL
June 24, 2016
I have purchased a French hybrid clivia miniata from Trio Nursery. I received the next day an email confirmation from Kip Omweg with the shipping tracking info. The clivia arrived yesterday. It is a healthy mature plant with 16 leaves and very strong roots. I am very pleased with my purchase and the service provided by Trio Nursery.
Positive chayen
United States
June 6, 2016
Beautiful Mini Variegated Jade plant delivered quickly. Thank you!
Positive ssisinni
Syracuse, NY
May 23, 2016
I wanted to give a Pride of Madeira to a friend as both a birthday gift and a reminder of our trip to San Francisco and the coast. She lives in Atlanta, GA. Internet searches were not providing a lot of information about the plant beyond it's origins and hardiness zones. I wanted to know if it could be grown--survive--in a colder more humid area. I looked for nurseries around San Francisco, most were large chain-type stores; this one seemed like it was a smaller, maybe family, operation. The gentleman I spoke with was not only delightful and willing to put up with what I know were silly questions, but he also was very helpful. I can't speak to the quality of the plant because I don't live in Georgia and I haven't seen it. And, since it only arrived last week, I don't know how well it will grow. (He suggested that it be container grown, cut-back and brought in to overwinter.) There's also the variable of how well my friend will manage it, which will be part of whether it succeeds or not. If I remember, I'll update this next year. Regardless, based on his attitude, customer service and advice--and that the plant shipped and tracked exactly as he said--I would highly recommend them.
Positive mzabel
Lake Mills, WI
May 11, 2016
Excellent...I called Kip to make an order for Aloe leaves at 8:30 am and by 1:30 pm same day I had the shipping confirmation and tracking # of my leaves. I am very excited and can't wait for their arrival. Kip is such a pleasant man to work with.
Positive pr1982
Austin, TX
March 12, 2016
When I had some difficulty with placing an order on-line and called Kip Omweg to get help, he very graciously helped me solve the problem and said that he will expedite the order, although my difficulties could in no way be attributed to something he has done. I received what I ordered faster than I was expecting. I truly appreciate Kip's kindness and reliability and will surely buy from Trio Nursery again.
Positive summer8
Federal Way, WA
February 24, 2016
I was looking for a particular plant and Trio Nursery helped locate it and sent it quickly and wrapped carefully. The plant arrive healthy and large. I am very grateful as I had been looking for this plant for a long time.
Positive Idskehiemstra
Evergreen, CO
September 4, 2015
I ordered a Dickensonia Antarctica online. Kip alerted me when it shipped, so I could track it and it arrived timely in excellent shape.
Positive Neige178
July 17, 2015
Plants received fast and in excellent condition. Will order again from this nursery.
Positive sheilaschwartz
Nyack, NY
May 27, 2015
Positive mh2c270t
Hilo, HI
March 18, 2015
The zoysia tenuifolia plants from Trio Nursery were packed well, and arrived quickly and in prime condition.
Positive Weenda
West Grove, PA
March 17, 2015
I ordered 3 gold heart ivy plants. They are healthy and beautiful! Their shipping is lightning fast!
Positive Mauli
Lake Helen, FL
October 2, 2014
I've purchased several plants from Kip at Trio Nursery and always received a healthy good sized plant. Shipping was quick too. Always a pleasure shopping in his store.
Positive doahvalleyman
Rockbridge Baths, VA
May 9, 2013
Odered fancy leaf geranium plants and they are big, beautiful and healthy. Could not have hoped for better plants. Thanks to Kip and Trio Nursery for a very positive experience.
Positive melody
Benton, KY (Zone 7a)
March 15, 2013
My Variegated Iris arrived in wonderful shape and were packed carefully. I received nice big clumps with multiple sprouting eyes. They were labeled correctly and were obviously well cared-for plants.I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and will be a repeat customer!
Positive snapple45
Holland, OH (Zone 5b)
November 3, 2012
This week I received a very nice plant order. Aeonium 'Sunburst', Agava victoria -regina and Opuntia 'Joseph's Coat' pads. All were in excellent shape when received and very good sized plants. I'll definitely order again.
Positive mongoo
Norfolk, VA
May 30, 2011
I live on the east coast, called them on the west coast and asked Kip if he would go to San Marcos growers and purchase and ship me a plant. This was the first time purchasing anything from them. I now have a big beautiful, rare fuchsia that some people are bidding up in the hundreds for on ebay for a rooted cutting. Communication was outstanding. Price was outstanding. Never thought I would own one. He has my business!
Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
July 16, 2010
Posted on July 2, 2010, updated July 16, 2010
Trio is a great place to buy from. I just received 3 very healthy plants expertly packaged. I called Kip whose customer service is as good as any store I have ever done business with and ordered 3 more. A very positive experiance.
On July 16th, 2010, riosamba added the following:

I just received 3 more plants from Trio. I really should say I received about 14 plants as there were so many canes I needed to plant them in bigger pots than I had anticipated. I know my two orders were small but they will be much bigger next year. Kip who is the owner even calls and lets you know the plants are on the way. This all for an order of $30. His merchandise, customer service, and packaging are second to none. Thank you Kip for the beautiful plants. I read so many negative comments about other companies and this nursery seems to be an undiscovered jewel. What a wonderful place to buy from.
Positive jll
Pendleton, OR
February 2, 2006
Nice plants came fast very good person to deal with, Looking forward to more plants.
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
September 8, 2005
Ordered two plants, Red Candle Succulent, and Red PonyTail Plant ...both plants were much larger and well-maintained than I anticipated. A great place to order.
On October 16th, 2008, Toni05 added the following:

Received a Sunset Jade, and various Ivy Geraniums. All are in perfect healthy, vivid colors, and pest free.
Plants were well-packaged, and shipping super fast. Toni

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.