The scoop on 'Northern Lights Daylilies'

Northern Lights Daylilies

61889 252nd Avenue
Mantorville, Minnesota 55955 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on January 5, 2008:
If you are looking for a hardy, tough, northern, daylily, Northern Lights Daylilies is the garden for you! We hybridize and sell our own zone 4 hardy daylilies. We also sell newer BLOOMING SIZE hybrid daylilies from all over the country. We are STATE INSPECTED and a member of the American Hemerocallis Society.

We are a small family owned business that evolved from our love of daylilies and hybridizing. We are located in Minnesota, USDA zone 4. The gardens are located on a hillside and have rich loam soil with a relatively high pH. We fertilize our plants and water them as needed. We have had rust in the past and have sprayed the breeding and sales plants since then. We do receive many new plants from the south every year and cannot guarantee that what we recieve is rust free so please understand that the risks are the same when buying from us as when buying from a southern hybridizer. Our seedlings are not sprayed so as to be able to evaluate them for disease and insect resistance.

We sell by mail order, e-mail or in person by private appointment and include bonuses with each order. We are not set up for retail sales or drop-ins. No international shipments at this time.

Comments:

Positive TammyY
Knoxville, TN
April 30, 2014
This was my first time ordering from Northern Lights. I purchased some plants off their Lily Auction listings and some directly from their website. I was expecting small single fans since they are a Northern grower, but what I received was HUGE healthy plants with generous bonus fans and additional bonus cultivators. I couldn't be happier! I will definetly be a returning customer!
Positive goldilocks0613
Conroe, TX
May 11, 2012
Posted on June 2, 2011, updated May 11, 2012
I ordered from the Daylily Auction as well, and the plants I received were amazing. The "Bonus" plant bloomed less than
a month after I received it. It is absolutely beautiful.
I have over 100 cultivars, and I have NEVER received plants as large as these before. This is an outstanding vendor !
On May 11th, 2012, goldilocks0613 added the following:

This is my second order, and I am truly amazed this time at the size of the plants. They are absolutely huge, and the roots are extensive. I got 2 lovely bonus plants and needless to say, I am tickled pink, purple, yellow, etc...My previous ordered plants have increased, and never missed a beat after I planted them. Whoever says northern daylilies are smaller than southern DL has never ordered from Northern Lights !!!!!!!
Positive Pattyw5
La Salle, IL
October 7, 2011
My apologizes for not getting back here sooner. Mike was very helpful over the phone. My order arrived in excellent condition. I was very pleased with everything and communication was excellent. Thank you, Pat
Neutral ashtonsgranna
Albertville, AL
October 4, 2011
My Jerry Nettles died within first few months planted. Contacted owner. No replacement-no credit. Other plants in the order lived.
Very disappointed.
Positive lilyq
Fairfax, MN
June 4, 2011
Posted on May 26, 2010, updated June 4, 2011
I purchased my lilies from here through daylily.com. I was pretty worried because I don't usually buy single fan plants. If something goes wrong you can usually save one if you buy double fans. My plants arrived looking fresh and the fans and roots systems were AMAZING. The bonus plants were just as nice as the purchased plants. I've been buying lilies for at least 7 years on the internet and I can honestly say these were the best plants I've ever received.
On June 4th, 2011, lilyq added the following:

Just received my 2011 order...WONDERFUL plants again, GREAT bonus plants. Still the best daylilies I've ever received from any where. Nice and fresh when they arrived and they start shooting up right away. Thanks !!!!
Positive teacher33
Belton, MO
April 20, 2011
I was very pleased with my order from Northern Lights. Even though you receive only 1 fan, they are large, healthy plants. It was a pleasure to do business with them. I would definitely order from the company again.
Neutral bismark
La Salle, IL
December 26, 2010
Does anyone know why their web site is not working. It has been down since I placed my order. I'm concerned because there is a credit card time limit to file a charge back. Pat
Company representative comment on January 3, 2011:
On Jan 3, 2011 9:52 AM, Northern Lights Daylilies responded with:

Our site has not been down. I worked with Pat over the phone for quite a while and it seems that her internet explorer is blocking our site but I don't know enough about internet explorer to figure out how to fix her software settings. Maybe someone else will be able to lend a hand there.

Happy New Year!

Mike

Positive Buckeyesnblooms
Shelbyville, KY (Zone 6a)
May 21, 2010
Mike sends HUGE fans with amazing root systems! The number of feeder roots on these plants are astounding. Highly recommended!
Positive TuddyE
Georgetown, KY (Zone 6a)
May 1, 2009
I ordered from the lily auction and wasn't sure what I would get. No worry, every fan I got was large, healthy and green. The bonuses were expensive and greatly appreciated. The surprise was the length of the root systems-they were so long it was hard to get some into pots while awaiting their final garden spots. I definitely will order from him again--excellent. Jackie from KY
Positive tsbccowboy
Saint Paul, MN
May 28, 2008
A pleasure to business with. The Daylilies (and bonus Daylily) he sent had beautiful roots.
Positive tigredoor
Lynnwood, WA
May 1, 2008
Highly recommend and will order again. I received excellent plants (one was a bonus, and a really nice bonus).
Positive NorthernDaylily
Plover, WI
December 7, 2007
I've rec'd 2-3 orders from Mike at Northern Lights over the last few yrs.. and all were excellent plants with good root systems. And in each instance a generous bonus plant was sent along... each of those have turned out to be quality garden plants.

Highly Recommend.
Positive Bourret
West Newfield, ME
May 18, 2007
Mike is super to deal with. He sends very healthy plants and great bonuses.

Lisa Bourret
Positive sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN (Zone 4a)
May 16, 2007
I received my order via the Lily Auction. Seller, Mike is very nice and helpful. The plants he sent were large, freshly dug, with great root systems. He sent an extemely nice bonus as well. Would definately order from again.
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
May 4, 2006
Ordered a few years ago from Mike on Ebay. Received one of his introductions as a bonus gift. Liked the fact that he breeds for hardiness, great for northern buyers/growers. Great seller, friendly emails, excellent communication. Buy with confidence!
On September 8th, 2009, Marilynbeth added the following:

Ordered a few years ago from Mike on The Lily Auction. Received one of his introductions as a bonus gift. Liked the fact that he breeds for hardiness, great for northern buyers/growers. Great seller, friendly emails, excellent communication. Buy with confidence
Positive se_eds
Millersburg, PA (Zone 6b)
May 4, 2006
Received beautifully grown, fresh, well rooted plants. Plus a great bonus. Thanks Mike, I appreciate the care you took with my order.
Positive mayflwrhem
Wareham, MA
January 22, 2006
Good communication, plants looked great, nice bonus on the daylily order I received last summer (Sorry, I should have posted this a while back.) Highly recommend especially if you are concerned about hardiness. Thanks Mike, can't wait to see them bloom!

Julia M.