The scoop on 'Gary's Out of Africa (Gary S. Mikita)'

Gary's Out of Africa (Gary S. Mikita)

2842 Brown Street
Portage, Indiana 46368 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $1

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Positive justalilrowdy
Clearlake, CA
October 14, 2011
I have mail ordered plants for years and this guy does the best job of packaging to ensure a safe trip for the plants that I have ever seen. I was impressed with the health and beauty of everything in my order. He also sent me a bonus episcia that was beautiful. I will be ordering again from Gary.
5 star rating for Gary's Out Of Africa!
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
September 16, 2008
I should have left comments sooner.

I have placed two orders : one for Streptocarpus and the other for Kohleria. Both were excellent. The quality was outstanding.

I'm putting together another order as I write.

A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Positive Spider07
Lilburn, GA
July 17, 2008
I have bought plants from Gary twice and he always sends me some great plants.

I highly recommend his plants. They are very healthy and look beautiful!
Negative cjolene
Emporia, KS (Zone 5b)
June 12, 2008
I ordered from here last year. Gary charged me about $4 more for shipping after placing my order than was stated on the site. When I asked him about it, he told me shipping was getting more expensive for him so he had to raise it. I understand that, but he should've stated the correct shipping price on his site instead of surprising me after I placed the order.

Anyways, I did received some nice looking plants. I put them in isolation like a good girl. Not too much later, I discovered what looked like little roundish grains of rice on the top of the soil. They were infested with root mealy bugs. *sigh* I'll find someone else to buy streps from in the future.
Positive bmedel
Mid, ID (Zone 3b)
May 13, 2008
I have ordered from Gary two times now (sorry I didn't leave feedback the first time, I meant to!!) and I have never seen better plants or better packing!

Last summer I ordered the growers choice of 10 Kohlerias adding a note that I liked yellow in my blooms. Even though it was growers choice he went out of his way to make sure half the plants had yellow in the blooms! And the free gift of a Pearcea was beautiful.

Recently I placed a wholesale order with my cousin of 30 streptocarpus plants. Once again growers choice and I was so pleased to receive doubles of most every choice so my cousin and I will grow the same plants! And was thrilled with the addition of a newer and popular strep!

The packing was so awesome that I merely opened the box and took out my half of the plants, then rearranged the remaining ones in the thick insulation and popped it right back in the mail to my cousin for another two days of shipping time. And the plants still looked great.

So A++++ all the way!
Positive Dianesjungle
Lubbock, TX (Zone 7a)
October 25, 2007
Fabulous! Not only did I receive beautiful plants + a just as beautiful bonus plant- but the packaging was extremely well thought through. Great prices too!Gary is a super-nice person and the whole transaction was a pleasure!
Positive SusanGa
Social Circle, GA
October 10, 2007
Gary sends the biggest, healthiest Streps, and in no time you have a large blooming plant. He also sent a free gift and he did so good at choosing that it turned out to be a favorite.
Positive gessiegail
Taft, TX (Zone 9a)
May 11, 2007
DGers, you are missing the boat if you don't order from Gary!!! He sent me 34 episcias and streps that are the healthiest and best plants I have EVER received. I will order from no one but him!!!!
I do wish I could show you the plants....the episcias have stolens and some are blooming!!!
Positive Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL (Zone 10b)
February 19, 2007
The best plants ! Best Customer service. Gary always answer emails fast and is very helpful .
He sells the best plants ! Shop with confidence knowing you will be buying the best Gesneriads !
Happy Shopping ! Happy Growing !
Positive mwedzi
Chicago, IL
November 15, 2005
Before I begin I should be honest and admit that I'm biased because he is a member of my club. But in all honesty, I have never ordered or bought Gesneriads from any vendor that can compare in size to what he sells. And not just to me, but when I saw his plants at a booth at the Chicago Flower and Garden show, they were just so much bigger than what you would normally expect, even for a show (vendors usually have bigger plants at a show). His plants are always disease- and pest-free, too.
Positive hotmama
Willow Springs, IL
September 9, 2005
If I could give Gary's a double positive, I surely would. I have ordered several times and I get beautiful streps, healthy, really green leaves and usually in bud or bloom,good sized plants. He does not send cutting or leaves. You get your money's worth and more.

If he had everything on my wish list I wouldn't order from anyone else. I was reluctant to order at first because he only had a very small ad in the Violet magazine and I was dazzled by the "big guys" with their fancy websites .What I got from Gary's was beautiful plants, fast efficient service,someone that answers their emails and is extremely helpful with recommendations as to care, etc. Not only that you get a free plant with each order and a really first class plant not something from the clearance bin.

His plants are so meticulously packed that it is an ordeal to "unpack" them. I think they could survive nuclear attack(but lets hope they don't have to).They are set in the middle of a box lined with thick fiberglas insulation.Each pot is wrapped in corrugated paper stapled and taped top & bottom.The base of each plant is wrapped with easter grass (I guess you would call it) and plastic so NO dirt spills out and the plants stay snug in their pots till you set them free.. The only mishaps I have had were when I tried to tear the wrappings off in a hurry and severed a leaf or two. My fault not the sellers.His shipping rate is no higher than the others .When you consider how much material & time go into packging them it is money well spent.

You can see this is a grower who cares about his plants and his customers. I have almost 70 streps now and greatest majority are from Garys.. .