The scoop on 'Daylily Meadows'

Daylily Meadows

1295 Patterson Farm Road
Pinnacle, North Carolina 27043-9267 (United States)

Comments:

Positive faykoko
Cross Lanes, WV (Zone 6b)
February 13, 2010
I bought many of the cultivars on sale from Brian and Paul September 09. Not only were the plants in great shape, but Brian and Paul were extremely helpful with plenty of advice and were very friendly. I could not have received better value on the plants or have encountered better people to deal with. Big thumbs up. I highly recommend them.
Positive aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX (Zone 8b)
October 7, 2009
i recieved my shipment, actually shipments of daylilies from Daylily Meadows and was blown away by the number of fans, cleanliness and generous bonuses that were included at wonderful prices! it was like Christmas in October! i could not have been happier with my purchase and plan on making many more in the future. Daylily Meadows was very helpful with information, responded quickly to emails and were lovely to work with. i HIGHLY recommend them!!!
Neutral Bourret
West Newfield, ME
September 6, 2009
Most of the plants received were completely dried out. If they make it through the winter I'll be surprised. Will update this posting in the spring.
On September 6th, 2009, Bourret added the following:

I received them on a Thursday. Most of them looked like they had been out of the ground for 2 weeks or more. You asked:
"..have you ever had daylilies shipped to you before? They are always prepared by first being completely cleaned and dried so as to prevent fungus and mold growing in the dark confines of their shipping boxes. That is standard operating procedure with all experienced daylily hybridizers.“ COMPLETELY CLEANED?! They were an absolute mess. There were snails in them. You're experienced?! It took me hours to clean off the soil and weeds. Dried is different than desiccated. We’ve received numerous shipments from other sellers and rarely have seen plants in such poor condition. You also said: "Once you saw that they were not to your liking, you should have immediately contacted us and returned them for a full refund, which you may still do if you so choose." If you think I'm digging them up after all the work I put into cleaning them, think again. It was a costly but very valuable lesson.

On September 7th, 2009, Bourret added the following:

Dear Brian and Paul, I'm reading your asinine and insulting emails. You know full well what you sent but just can't believe I had the guts to call you on it. Good luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Lisa Bourret
Company representative comment on September 6, 2009:
On Sep 6, 2009 2:21 PM, Daylily Meadows responded with:

Dear Lisa,

We are disappointed by your review posted on the Dave's Garden website. We shipped your order out on a Monday. What day of the week did you receive them?

We do not want any of our customers displeased. Once you saw that they were not to your liking, you should have immediately contacted us and returned them for a full refund, which you may still do if you so choose.

However, have you ever had daylilies shipped to you before? They are always prepared by first being completely cleaned and dried so as to prevent fungus and mold growing in the dark confines of their shipping boxes. That is standard operating procedure with all experienced daylily hybridizers.

If you would remember there was a note enclosed with your order that read, "Since you are receiving these daylilies “bare-root,” we suggest that you soak the roots up to the crown in water, or better a very dilute solution of fertilizer, for at least 24 hours to re-hydrate them before planting. Further information on planting and cultivating daylilies may be found on our website at: http://www.daylilymeadows.com/Article-Daylily-Cultivation.ht... " It specifically uses the word "re-hydrate" because they have been dried out. If you followed that suggestion and/or planted your daylilies immediately and kept them well watered, they would not just survive but thrive.

In any event, please ship all of the fans of all of the daylilies that we shipped to you back to us, and we will gladly refund your full purchase price. We want to right any perceived dissatisfaction. Give us a "heads-up" as to when you will be shipping so we can be sure someone is here to receive them.

You are the only person who has been displeased. We have received email responses from many of those who received orders such as yours, all expressing great joy, pleasure and excitement with the daylilies we shipped them, and most especially the number of fans per cultivar that they received as well as the number of gift plants that were included.

We look forward to hearing from you.

warmest regards,

Brian and Paul

brian@daylilymeadows.com
Pinnacle, NC 27043-9267
336.368.2692

On Sep 6, 2009 6:48 PM, Daylily Meadows added:

Dear Lisa,

ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU WERE DISSATISFIED WITH YOUR SHIPMENT, YOU SHOULD HAVE NOTIFIED US IMMEDIATELY; WE WOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A COMPLETE REFUND. But you chose to not even give us a chance to "make it right" before blabbing on the net!

Apparently you were not all that displeased. The truth of the matter is that you know full well that you could never find these cultivars, nor the number of fans thereof, so cheaply anywhere else and, therefore, you chose to overlook their being "dried out". 25 clumps ranging in quantity from 3 to 7 fans per clump for $150!! Take for example Bordeaux Beauty, of which you received a CLUMP for $10 while the Marietta Gardens, the hybridizer, has it listed as $50 for only a DOUBLE FAN, and Jolly Good Fellow for which you again paid only $10 for a CLUMP, while Don Herr, the hybridizer, is getting $75 per DOUBLE FAN.

Since you've stated that you are in this daylily business, you should know by now that if you are a dissatisfied customer you return the shipment for a full refund. It says this on 99% of daylily order forms, and you should know it being in the daylily business. You should have never taken the time to clean off such "dried up" fans but, instead, have shipped them right back for a full refund. But you can't admit that the price for the number of fans was too great for you to part with them........Sounds a little uncanny, but yet you have the gall to complain on the internet.

And yet, as you said "It took me hours to clean off the 'soil and snails and WEEDS,' "but guess what I'll still keep these "very dried up fans". YEAH RIGHT!!!! If anyone believes this then I have some ocean view property I want to sell them in Ohio!!! Your line of logic for keeping such "DRIED-UP & DESICCATED" daylilies is nothing short of obviously very LAME and suspect!!!! To educate you, if you DO NOT already know: IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH SOMETHING THEN RETURN IT!!!

Since your initial complaint on the Garden Web only cited that the daylilies were dried out, I find your claims of snails, weeds and dirt to be pure fabrication and exaggeration, provided in response to my having "called" you on your post -- besides, of course, I know full well that that is a total, preposterous misrepresentation. If anything, yes, there may have been some pieces of SOIL-LESS mix amongst the massive root systems of these CLUMPS, not single or double fans, that you purchased for $5 or $10 per CLUMP -- but not snails, weeds and dirt as you portray it now. In fact, your claim that the daylilies were "desiccated" contradicts your claim of the presence of snails. Snails can not live in a "desiccated" environment of "two weeks or more" duration. Plus you received five generous gift clumps, plus you paid less than half of the shipping charges that actually applied.

FYI those daylilies were dug on Sunday, kept indoors in an air conditioned room overnight, and shipped on Monday -- less than 24 hours out of the ground. Who knows how the USPS handled them? I note in your postings elsewhere on the Garden Site that you have had previous experience with USPS destroying a shipment of daylilies.

Costly? How many fans did you get for $150 + $31 shipping? Shop around (no doubt you already have); tell me where you could have done so well for your money? Certainly not on in your gardens. The best you can do according to your website is $5.00 for a DOUBLE FAN.

If everything you said were true and you didn't act like any reasonably sane person would and return them, then obviously something is very wrong with you line of reasoning!

warmest regards,

Brian and Paul

brian@daylilymeadows.com
Pinnacle, NC 27043-9267
336.368.2692

Positive Cync2007
Lexington, NC
June 19, 2009
Most beautiful daylilies and incredibly generous divisions...many fans for one price. I will never again order from the online sources I have used before for daylilies. Owners took time to educate us during our visit plus show us some of the new plants they are hybridizing for current and future development. Website is fantastic. Check out the photos of the plants they will ship. You will not believe what you will get for your money!