The scoop on 'Brooks Gardens'

Brooks Gardens

Brooks, Oregon 97305 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
October 5, 2012
I received a very beautiful Molly-The-Witch root from them. I'm happy.
Positive chispa1412
Hastings, MN
November 14, 2011
I ordered some peonies from Brooks Gardens after visiting their farm when I went to The APS convention this last Spring. I expected to receive them by fall, and sure enough they came, what I didn't expect was the size and quality of the roots I received. I order by mail quite often and these were the best roots I have ever received by any company. It is no wonder they took the best in show prize with "Bob" this year. I was so happy that I ordered a couple more times before the season was over and when I received the new roots, I was very impressed. I will always buy from Brooks, they made a customer for life!
Positive Growingallyear
Salem, OR
June 29, 2011
Superb, quality plants. All flowered the first year. Fun, expert staff. Best Oregon farm to purchase peonies from.
Positive farm_kittie
Saint Clair Shores, MI
May 25, 2011
Posted on May 1, 2009, updated May 25, 2011
Update (from farmkitty again): It's April 30 and the two peonies I ordered look quite vigorous. I was worried about them just because I hadn't any experience planting just the bare root with eyes (if it's called a root) and was a nervous newbie. All other peonies I have were either left to me by my mother or purchased at a nursery in potted form.

I will post again later in the summer. I don't expect blooms this year but wouldn't that be exciting if it happened. I'll be happy with a nice leafed out plant and it looks like that's just what I'll get. Thanks Brooks Gardens.
On May 25th, 2011, farm_kittie added the following:

Farm_kittie back here again. My two yellow peonies that I ordered a couple years or so ago (please see earlier comments from back then) are huge monster plants now. Tall, wide, bushy and lots of flower buds on both this year. Love them!!! I have a new bed in my back yard so I will be shopping at Brooks Gardens again for more peonies.
Positive farmkitty
Saint Clair Shores, MI
September 13, 2008
I ordered two peony roots from Brooks Gardens. I wrote to them after I received an email acknowledging the purchase and giving me a ship date of the last week in September. I Live in zone 5 and wanted to receive them as soon as possible so I could plant in time for them to establish a good root system. I wrote and asked if I could pay more to have them shipped two day air and I received a response within an hour or two saying I didn't need to pay more. They would dig and ship to me so I would receive on Saturday. And I received them today! Great service and communication.
The ground is so wet today (there are flood warnings) that I cannot work the soil to plant - going to rain hard tomorrow too :-( .
The roots came in ziploc bags with plenty of (sphagnum, soil, ? - I'm afraid I don't know what it is but they are well protected and labeled).
I'll write in a few days when I have planted them and let you know how many eyes each has. The roots are big, I can tell that without taking them out of the bag.
Thanks Brooks Gardens for the exceptional personal service.

On June 11th, 2009, farmkitty added the following:

I am updating my experience with the peony I purchased from Brooks Gardens last fall (2008). It flowered this first year!! IT has beautiful, true yellow flowers (3 this year). It's an Itoh peony (Bartzella). If there's a way to post a picture, I will. I notice on their website today that they aren't selling this one this year. I also bought a parairie moon from them last year and it got multiple flowers, pale yellow. It cost 1/4 of the the price of the Bartzella and it is still available this year.
Neutral CHA
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
January 2, 2007
Brooks Garden has many rare varieties of historic iris, some that cannot be found anywhere else. Their downside would have to be their prices, a bit to high with an average of $7.00.

Their product was average, at best. Decent sized rhizomes, although some where a bit dried when I received them. Their worst fault perhaps, is that they only ship in September, meaning that gardeners in the Eastern U.S. will have a harder time getting the iris settled in before frost hits.

Definitely shop here if you want that rare historic, but if it can be found somewhere else you may want to go there.