The scoop on 'Mr. Fothergills' Seeds'

Mr. Fothergills' Seeds

Mr. Fothergill's Seeds
Newmarket, Suffolk, CB8 7QB
(United Kingdom)

Phone: +44 (0)1638 552512
Fax: +44 (0)1638 750468

This company is affiliated with 2 companies:This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Company Comment, posted on March 8, 2006:
Mr Fothergill's Seeds is now available in Australia, featuring our full online range of Mr Fothergill's flower seeds, vegetable seeds, herbs and flowering bulbs for Australian gardeners.

The site also features store lookup for Australian stores, seasonal projects and recipes for home grown produce, and more. You'll find full details of the Sprouts Alive range of seeds for sprouting at home.

Mr Fothergill's Australia http://www.mrfothergills.com.au

We do hope you will enjoy the site.

David Thompson (Developer UK and Aus. websites).

Comments:

Negative Tommcclean
London
May 8, 2010
I ordered some Dahlia Karma Chocolate Young plants from Mr Fothergill's Direct in the UK scheduled for an early May delivery. The plants arrived three weeks early, were underdeveloped and had suffered in transit to the point they were not viable. I immediately sent an email with photograph to Mr F asking why the plants had been despatched early and asking for a replacement. I sent emails on the 16th, 17th and 29th April and I have received no response. These 5 dead plants cost 9.95 ($15). I have been a Mr F customer for many years. Not any more.
Positive petit_potager
April 16, 2007
The last order (about 50 packets of seed) from their USA distributor in Tatum, NM arrived within three days. Mr Fothergill's seeds are dual-packed in a separate foil sachet. Their prices tend to be low-to-moderate, as does the seed count. Some of the seed germination is peppy, while other seed is sluggish with poor plant formation. This is annoying as in the case of Cucurbita that may contain only 10 seeds per packet. Whether they were parthenocarpic, or non-parthenocarpic I cannot know since the seeds that did germinate quickly succumbed to powdery mildew.
Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
February 11, 2006
This is about Fothergills USA (and a little about the UK parent company). The USA division has been slow to get its website up to par, so I emailed the UK division and they very kindly sent me a catalog. Perhaps a week later the US division sent me the U.S. version (the only differences are the cover and the order forms). The website doesn't reflect the catalog offerings (yet), so I placed an order by snail-mail.

I wasn't sure how things would go, since I thought that the state of the website might reflect their overall competence, but the seeds arrived one day after my check cleared, and my order was complete, so I'm content with that end of the transaction.

I also like that very small seeds are sent in little vials rather than foil or glassine envelopes (the vial is then placed in the larger, color packet).

In summary, things got off to a bit of a rocky start, but I'm now perfectly confident that all future orders will be just fine.
On March 14th, 2006, nevadagdn added the following:

Germination rates are good--I already have the tiniest of Begonia plants.
Positive kirsitn
(Zone 6b)
November 9, 2005
Some interesting varieties and reasonable prices. Variable germination rate, but that may have been due to non-ideal sowing conditions this year.
Positive johnfothergill
bury st edmunds
June 17, 2005
I represent the export department of Mr. Fothergill's Seeds (UK) Ltd. I'm delighted to read the many positive statements about our seeds. In answer to one or two comments posted, I wanted to say that in partnership with our new US distributors (www.fothergillsusa.com) our entire seed offering will be available to American gardeners from late 2005. Thanks for your support and happy gardening!
Positive ninat
Joyce, WA (Zone 7b)
July 12, 2002
Good seeds now available on some US seed racks, well worth their slightly expensive cost, as they have excellent germination rates as well as varieties not generally found in the US market. I only wish they would set up a US outlet like Thompson and Morgan has as they have many lovely things in their British catalogue that we cannot get here.
Positive sheila
Wigan, Landcashire
February 3, 2002
A good company to deal with, love their packets that contain multiple seeds, such as 4 perennial packets and a lot cheaper than buying them individually.
Positive Baa
December 6, 2001
A good, comprehensive range of vegetables and flowers available, only seeds available outside of the UK. Some unusual species and varieties are listed.

Well presented packets with specific, easy to understand information on the reverse. I have had good germination results from seeds I have bought and a prompt friendly service. Would strongly recommend Mr. Fothergills to both new and experienced gardeners.

The website is easy to navigate and even have some hints and tips listed.