The scoop on 'Brian's Botanicals'

Brian's Botanicals

6350 North Preston Hwy.
Louisville, Kentucky 40229 (United States)

Phone: 502-957-4365
Fax: same

Company Comment, posted on August 10, 2006:
Brian Williams here. I have had some bugs on the website which have been almost 100% of any problems I have had with orders. In some cases I will recieve payment with no items shown this I hope is now taken care of. I have also had trouble reaching or replying to emails I had hoped this problem was solved but not yet positive but so far it seems OK.
I can say that I am honest and I try very hard to keep everyone happy when they order through me. I have two employes one deals with shipping and paper work I am usually very busy and have had little time in the process of paper work of the orders. The girl incharge of this area has done very well in keeping things organized even through all the bugs and errors. I have replaced many damaged plants and will contiue to do so. I will try my best to keep everyone happy that places orders through me. If you do have a problem you can reach me off my website by phone or email address at pugturd@alltel.net

I will correct any errors that I make if it is made aware to me.

I hope to be a source for rare and unusual plants for all to grow. As a hobbiest and collector, I find joy in doing so. As a buisness person I hope to send you healthy plants that are well grown well packed properly tagged and shipping at a resonable time. THANKS

Comments:

Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
June 5, 2014
Posted on June 5, 2014, updated June 5, 2014
Posted on July 13, 2013, updated June 5, 2014
Posted on June 2, 2013, updated July 13, 2013
I just received my first order from Brian's and am very pleased. All of the cannas I received looked strong and healthy. They were wrapped and boxed very well All are leafed out and show absolutely no virus signs. I placed 2 more orders and wish I could buy more.
On July 13th, 2013, riosamba added the following:

I have received many more cannas from Brian's Botanicals. There were a few plants that were iffy and they replaced them immediately. I have over 500 cannas currently growing and am extremely satisfied with this company. Their cannas fit right into my garden and in some instances outshine other plants. A very good vendor to buy from.
On June 5th, 2014, riosamba added the following:

I received over 35 tissue cultured cannas from Brian this year. The plants were among the best I have ever seen. He is a bit expensive but with the quality and size of what he ships the plants are worth it. I will buy from them again, and again
On June 5th, 2014, riosamba added the following:

I wanted to add I have never had a problem with their customer service and get very fast responses to my questions.
Negative vorlonken
Andover, CT
May 4, 2014
Posted on May 2, 2014, updated May 4, 2014
Posted on May 2, 2014, updated May 2, 2014
I'm going to start off with a neutral rating in the hopes of changing it to positive in the very near future.

I placed an order through Brian's web site last weekend. I got a paypal confirmation but it doesn't list the individual items that I bought, only the total. I never received any confirmation that showed what I ordered - a standard practice that people expect. I wrote to Brian to ask him about this; I needed a reminder of what I bought because I wanted to avoid duplicating one of the items I *think* I ordered when I go to a semi-local nursery this weekend. I never got any reply.

I also sent Brian a second email asking him a question unrelated to my order and I never got a reply to that.

This morning, about 5 days after I placed my order, I got a paypal refund of my entire order amount WITH NO COMMENTS from Brian to explain why he was making the refund. I sent him an email asking why I got a refund, were all the plants out of stock? No answer so far.

I sell plants through a web site and I personally confirm every order right after paypal alerts me to a payment, thank the customer for their order and tell them when I will ship. I answer all questions, even from people who haven't ordered from me. Communication is as important as quality plants.
On May 2nd, 2014, vorlonken added the following:

Correction: There was a comment with the refund notice. It read, "Order is being refunded due to previous circumstances." I have no idea what that means. I don't think I've ever ordered from him before!
On May 4th, 2014, vorlonken changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I made two attempts to contact Brian to ask him what he meant by "Order is being refunded due to previous circumstances." So far I have been ignored.

To the best of my recollection there has never been any unpleasantness between Brian and I. I have conversed with him in the past and had normal communications.

In my opinion Brian is being extremely unprofessional, and worse than that, he's being childish. Why ignore a sincere request for clarification?

If I were a potential new customer of Brian's I would wonder if he was going to cover his ears and say "la la la la la" if I ever wrote to him with a problem or a question about a plant. If he can't be more mature than this then maybe he should rethink a career that requires customer service and other forms of complex adult behavior.
Positive LanfrancoLeo
Harrisburg, PA
April 16, 2014
This year I ordered a Thai Giant colocasia and Stuttgart canna.
Let me tell you that when I receive the canna I was amazed!! The tuber was so huge that barely fit on my garden spot!!! I am expecting to see a nice tropical corner on my backyard this year.
The Thai giant colocasia are vibrant fast growing plants...I received on Friday,both plants looks fine, after only four days,despite my concens, both plants made a brand new leaf, indicating a really vibrating growth considering that when I received no one plant shown the new leaf formation at day 1.If you grow colocasia before a new leave within a week is a really good sign of healthiness of the plant!!!
I have to say that the ONLY bad side to order on Brian`s Botanical is the late answer on your e-mail...I contacted him a couple of time during my order and before my order...you need to remind him to answer your e-mail otherwise you are going to receive a late answer or not answer...It is sometimes a bit disappointing but the quality of the plant, the time of delivery and quality of shipping is exceptional and counterbalance very well this little defect...
Positive Combit
Lindenhurst, NY
February 13, 2014
AAA+ rating. If I'm buying anything tropical and Brian has it, that's where I'm getting it from. Last year there was a screw up with an order and Brian had it corrected in a matter of days. Last year my Mekong Giants and Basjoo's arrived about 18" tall and by the end of the summer were anywhere from 10'-14' tall. Not bad for zone 6B. Hopefully I won't kill them over this monster winter. I have a dozen new plants I just order from him and one thing I know, if they die, I will be the murderer. Never got a bad one from him and he's great to deal with.
Tony S.
Positive pghflowergirl
Arnold, PA
May 23, 2013
This was my first time ordering from Brian's and it won't be my last. I ordered 3 different types of elephant ears 6 plants total. They all arrived and were packaged very nice. The paper in the top of the pots was still moist. I unpacked everything and have them in the kitchen window because its supposed to get cold here tonight. These were by far the nicest looking plants I have ever received in the mail. The Thailand Giant's were over 18 inches tall. Everything looked extremely healthy. I have never been so pleased.
Negative Khadley
Bolinas, CA
April 24, 2013
Dear Brian,
I placed this order almost a year ago. I have been a gardener for almost 50 years, so I don't tend to give up on plants. I can bring almost anything back to life, take cuttings, etc but I have to tell you that I have been really disappointed with the plants I ordered from you. I have several kinds of Musa in my yard before I ordered yours that do just fine. Yours, not so much. After a year, they are not even 18" tall. The gingers and cannas are the same, sad little things. Not sure what else to say except I will NEvER order from you again because I can't afford to make that expensive a mistake again.

Kathryn Hadley
Positive biggfurrydogz
Auburn
United States
October 13, 2012
I found Brain on eBay before reading any reviews on Dave's Garden.

I am really glad I took a chance and ordered from him, while I have bought and sold many items on eBay over the years, ordering plants was new territory.

The packaging was excellent, the shipping very prompt and the plants surpassed my expectations!!!

Shortly after they arrived we repotted them, put them outside and they took off with each new leaf bigger and more interesting!

I would definitely buy from him again. A+

Positive bingo2005
Providence, RI
April 27, 2012
Just received my order of aroids.They are large plants compared to others I purchased from other vendors.Look extremely healthy.Excellent packaging,very fast service.I'll be returning to this grower in the future.Great job Brian.
Positive Toddott
Kentwood, MI (Zone 5b)
April 21, 2012
Saw Brian's Botanicals on EBay. Ordered online. Good size, healthy plants, packaged well. Will order again.
Positive elderberrypress
Oakland, OR
March 24, 2012
Called Brian and he answered in person! The philodendron he sent me is gorgeous and healthy and packed well in paper. He's rooting two more for me. The order came Fedex and fast, too. Great site and a nice guy. I'll order again.
Positive justalilrowdy
Clearlake, CA
October 7, 2011
Great experience with this company. Very professional and quick service. Plants arrive healthy.
Positive meplant
kelso, WA (Zone 8a)
June 25, 2011
Posted on March 10, 2011, updated June 25, 2011
Posted on January 24, 2011, updated March 10, 2011
My order arrived within 2 weeks from the time I ordered...He offered to use a heatpak (my choice) so I could receive my order quickly...The plants arrived JUST fine, as they had to travel from the East Coast to the West Coast...I WILL be ordering from them again...Communications was great...Letting me know when they were shipped would have made this purchase perfect!!
On March 10th, 2011, meplant added the following:

Another great purchase from Brian's...Order arrived 5 days after ordering and plants in perfect shape...Thanks Brian!!!
On June 25th, 2011, meplant added the following:

I only need to use one word to describe Brians Botanicals: AWESOME!!...The plants he sends are outstanding...Of course I WILL order more :)
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
June 10, 2011
Posted on June 10, 2011, updated June 10, 2011
On May 16th, 2011, 'first-time buyer,' I ordered a Papaya from Brians Botanicals.

When it arrived, I was surprised by its size. It stood 18+" in height, the trunk approximately one-inch diameter..

Roots are full, white and healthy.

His prices are very reasonable, considering size.

Papaya was well-wrapped...Shipping prompt. I'm happy I found Brians' Botanicals. Thanks, Toni
On June 10th, 2011, Toni05 added the following:

My second order from Brian's Botanicals

Brian's Botanicals has beautiful, healthy plants. Since I was happy with my first order, I decided to place a second: Two Musa Basjoo's, and one Musa Siam Ruby.

All three Musas are large. The Basjoo's, which are a little shorter than Siam are 18" tall, the Siam 24".

For a young Banana, the Siam's leaves are quite red.

I'm more than satified with my purchase.

Plants are wrapped with care, shipping, fast.

Keep up the good work, Toni
Positive rjhatl
Tucker, GA
July 12, 2010
I've made several purchases of colocasias and allocasias from Brian's Botanicals, and I've been extremely happy with all of them. They do a great job of packing plants for shipment, and all are healthy on arrival.
Positive CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA (Zone 9a)
May 16, 2010
Posted on April 9, 2010, updated May 16, 2010
Posted on August 22, 2009, updated April 9, 2010
First of Im happy with my first order. I ordered a Ensete Maurellii red banana and a Canna Intrigue. I was very happy when I opened the box. Very nice plants. I ordered of of EBay after that I found out Brian is a member Of DG after reading the raitings I did another order before I received my first order. Im proud to say im a new Brians Botanical customer.Keep up the great work. My banana looks like its been there forever.
Thanks
Greg
Fresno,CA zone 9
On September 8th, 2009, CherokeeGreg added the following:

My second order arrived the banana plant was great ,there was a canna missing from my order. I contacted the company. They sent the canna ASP ! Let me tell you I was even more satisfied. The canna was excelent. In fact there was more than one in there ! I would order from this guy again great service great plants. Thanks
On April 9th, 2010, CherokeeGreg added the following:

Well I keep coming back. I placed another order.I received the Musa Thialand Black and the Musa Saba. Again great plants. Thanks again. A happy California customer
On May 16th, 2010, CherokeeGreg added the following:

I just received another order from Brian. It was the pink sunburst cannas. Again a great plant great service. All my bananas cannas and elephant ears I received from Brian are growing great. Another great order. Thanks
Positive Saltydoc
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
March 28, 2010
I have ordered from Brian for a number of years. I find the quality, size and variety of plants available to be quite positive. Shipping has been prompt and the plants all looked great on arrival and have survived and are doing nicely. Brian has also always responded to questions about the plants with knowledgeable expertise. A big positive from me!
Positive Datura777
Old Lyme, CT
March 4, 2010
I have ordered from Brian for the past two years. His plants are very healthy and ship very fast. I have called him on the phone, and he takes the time to answer your questions. I have nothing but positive things to say about Brian.
Great Job!!!
Positive DanKistner
Winter Haven, FL (Zone 9b)
July 20, 2009
I purchased the A. Borneo Giant from Brian. Came quick and was very healthy. The plant is doing well, putting out a new leaf about every week 2 times the size of the last one. Although he never did leave me feedback on ebay... When I contacted him on how to care for the Borneo Giant, he quickly responded with his advice. I admired that. Knowledgeable person, does great work for what little help he has.
On August 10th, 2009, DanKistner added the following:

Got Feedback on Ebay... Not that it was a big deal but now I am even happier! My borneo Giant is doing well!
Positive jimmy2
live oak, TX (Zone 9a)
March 27, 2009
i order giant strian colocasia, came in today very healthy and boy it came fast to me in the mail, luv prompt service, great selection of rare plants, will recommend, and will order agian soon thanks jimmy2
On May 12th, 2009, jimmy2 added the following:

i reordered jacks giants ee, and another giant thialand ee, give a a+ great service
Positive BobGoblin
Vinton, LA
March 2, 2009
I started doing business with Brians Botanicals before I was a member of this site. For tropicals and aroids, Brians Botanicals is hands down my favorite online nursery.
Positive blonddude
Los Angeles, CA
October 15, 2008
Ordered and got a confirmation via PayPal. Sent email and a note in payment to ship to another address. This was confirmed in a return email from Brian.

Plants were shipped to wrong address. Plants were dead. I contacted Brian who acknowledged the mistake and said it must have been one of his "new employees." Brian said he would send replacement plants.

Never received plants, email or phone calls. Followed up via phone and email-nothing. Could not dispute via PayPal, as it was over 45 days. Buyer beware.
On November 13th, 2008, blonddude changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

13 November 2008

After a few emails, Brian shipped me a replacement shipment. All the plants were fine specimens and in good shape. The communication took a long time-months!-but in the end, it all worked out. brian was good to his word.
Negative jerrytate
Lake Charles, LA
July 12, 2008
ALMOST NEUTRAL. THE THAILAND GIANT COLOCASIA WERE TOO SMALL TO SHIP. ONE ROTTED DURING SHIPMENT AND THE OTHER NINE SOON FOLLOWED. THEY WERE PACKAGED EXCELLENTLY. NO MORE TISSUE CULTURE PLUGS FOR ME.
Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
July 4, 2008
I ordered 3 different items from BB. 'Siam Red' Musa, and 2 different Colocasia, pink stemmed variety and a variegated/splotched one (can't remember the cultivars at this time.) I placed the order and with in 1 week of placing the order had the three items. I could have ordered the 'Siam Red' Musa from several other sources but chose to order from a fellow DG'er; also BB had the cheapest price for 'Siam Red!'
I feel that DG'ers are a huge "family" and I would rather support/order from other DG'ers than other online nurseries when possible.
The products: GREAT!
The service: Great!
I will be a repeat customer in the future!
Positive TropiSocal_dave
Garden Grove, CA (Zone 10a)
May 24, 2008
I received my banana plant in good condition and in good time.
Positive msorchid
Santa Fe, NM
April 10, 2008
I ordered some very rare peperomia plants from this company.

I have ordered these from two other companies and both experiences were horrible! One place sent me something else entirely and the other sent me mostly dead plants.

When I ordered from Brian's Botanicals, these peperomia rotundifolia all arrived VERY healthy, big and ready to pot! This was about eight months ago and they are THRIVING still!

Thank you for offering nice, healthy plants we can't find anywhere else!
Positive kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR (Zone 7b)
February 7, 2008
I've bought several plants from Brian from his ebay auctions. He's always shipped large healthy plants and reasonable priced shippng . I've always been pleased. He's been helpful with all my questions as well.
Positive jrozier
Charleston, SC
August 26, 2007
I was happy with my purchase and will buy plants from Brian's Botanicals again. The plants I purchased were nicely packaged and quickly sent.
Positive pheitmeyer
Mesa, AZ (Zone 9b)
July 18, 2007
3/4 of my north tropical garden I ordered from Brian, including banana, philodendron, and alocasia. Some of the philodendron were speciality. He shipped quickly and the plants were delivered as promised and packaged to survive the AZ heat. I've never had a bad experience dealing with Brian, either thru his ebay store or @ briansbotanicals.net, and all the plants are doing great!

Positive largosmom
Newport News, VA (Zone 7b)
June 25, 2007
I purchased colocasia coffee cups this spring and received them quickly and well packaged. They are doing well in my zone 7b garden, and are about 3 feet tall at the moment and getting larger with each new leaf. I'm new to aroids, and had a couple of questions that were answered well.

Laura
Positive GrowHappy
Nottingham, MD (Zone 7a)
May 18, 2007
I placed an order for 2 philodendrons last Wed. night. On Monday evening I emailed Brian to ask when the order might be shipped. He responded almost immediately that the plants were packed earlier that day and would be shipped USPS the next. The plants arrived today! Both were healthy and VERY well packaged. One of them was much larger than I expected. I will do business with him again. Gorgeous Philos, Brian!
Positive Carter
Houston, TX (Zone 9b)
April 20, 2007
I have been happy with orders from Brian in the past. There was once a mix up, but it was handled quickly and I was pleased with the result. Nice healthy plants were sent and he was very communicative with me. Overall, I'd be happy to order from again.
Positive rylaff
Niceville, FL (Zone 8b)
April 20, 2007
Very pleased. Communication was good. Shipping was quick and all items were packed with care. The plants were all a good size. One was much larger than I anticipated. I will definately be a return shopped to his website.
Positive Roz
Gulfport, MS (Zone 8a)
April 15, 2007
Plants arrived in ecellent condition, and I was surprised to see how large most of them were. Will order agin soon!
Positive jpolk34
Hattiesburg, MS (Zone 8a)
February 23, 2007
I ordered (3) of the Musa 'Bordelon' banana's from Brian's and they arrived yesterday in great shape and even larger than I thought, about 2' tall. Brian's Botanical's kept me informed via email on the status of my order and let me know when they shipped out. I will definitely order from them again in the near future. This is truly a first class operation that sells beautiful, healthy plants.
Positive GardenGuyKin
Portland, OR (Zone 8a)
November 10, 2006
I placed a simple order with Brian's Botanicals after viewing an Ad here on 'DG Classified Ads'. I received superb specimens well packaged and beyond what was described in the Ad. Very pleased and look forward to placing another order with this Vendor.
Positive Hikaro_Takayama
Fayetteville, PA (Zone 6b)
September 24, 2006
I decided to make the 8-hour trip from PA to Brian's store so that I could see his operation firsthand. I originally intended to just reserve some plants for next spring, but ended up buying about $120 worth of plants and making the trip back with a fully loaded car (Colocasias hardy gingers and Petasites on the back seat and a Tetrapanax, two Trachys and a few other plants on the passenger side floor).

I was greatly impressed with Brian's operation as well as the variety of plants he had, as well as his being able to tell me what he has had make it through the winter or not (invaluable since he is in the same climate zone as me). All the plants at his store were healthy and vigorous.

I will not hesitate to buy from him again, and I look forward to going there next spring to get some of his Cannas (especially the Musafolia) and a few other plants.
Positive Madisonwigarden
Middleton, WI
September 2, 2006
I ordered three plants from this company. Like other postings, I also received no confirmation other than my Paypal receipt. After 10 days and no plants, I sent an email. No response. Sent another. Brian then emailed me and said he received my payment but didn't have my order, and requested that I resend my order. I replied, and my plants arrived shortly after that. Two were great, one was broken at the stem. I emailed him, along w/ an attachment of a photo of the broken plant. Brian immediately responded, and then sent me a replacement plant right away.

My impression is that this company is trying hard, and will follow through on its promises, even though each email isn't immediately responded to. Brian is honest, and I would order from him again. What more can you ask for: honest service, and a remedy if problems arise? That's all any of us can do.
Negative fly_girl
The Woodlands, TX (Zone 8b)
September 1, 2006
I just received A. Robusta and A. Brian Williams in perfect condition. They are a nice size and very healthy. I definitely will be shopping there again.
On January 1st, 2008, fly_girl changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I placed an online order a few weeks ago and completed the transaction with the order going to a different shipping addy than the billing addy. The order seemed to go through okay but was sent to me not the gift recipient. I had to re-ship the order.
I called Brian and my complaint did not seem to be taken seriously and the only solution offered was to have the items re-shipped, at my expense.
I will not be ordering from this company again.
On January 1st, 2008, fly_girl added the following:

Negative madeintheshade
Avondale Estates, GA
August 10, 2006
Unfortunately I have to add to the negative commentary. Good business is about communication and follow through. This company does not seem to know how to do either.

Like another posting here, I never recieved a confirmation other than a paypal charge. An initial E-mail inquiry went unanswered. I then received a box of plants that I did not order and one of the plants had no id. No packing slip was included. A second inquiry to Brian's still has gone unanswered. I never received the plant I ordered nor any explanation for the mistake.
Positive ashleykelly
New Iberia, LA (Zone 9a)
August 10, 2006
I have never been disappointed in any of the unusual plants I have ordered from Brian. They have always been of great quality, packaged well and fairly priced. He is very knowledgeable and willing to help, and I will continue to purchase from him to further my collection of tropicals.