The scoop on 'The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange)'

The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange)

The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) has 159 products listed in PlantScout.

11110 Sandy Fields Road
Charles City, Virginia 23030 (United States)

Phone: 888-829-6201
Fax: 804-829-5620

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Company Comment, posted on February 28, 2011:
Here at The Growers Exchange you can expect reliable advice, healthy herbs and flowers and sustainable tools and accents for your garden. We strive to be your "local" garden center on the Internet, offering the same "sage" wisdom you might get at the garden supply store you grew up with. Request a free catalog, browse our website or give us a call with any questions--we look forward to growing with you!

Comments:

Positive MonicaLLane
Summerdale, AL
November 12, 2014
This is the first plant company I am giving a 5 star rating to. They have healthy plants that survive the shipping process, and grow wonderfully in my garden. I will be a repeat customer for years to come.
Positive barbara02
Dobbs Ferry, NY
October 25, 2014
all plants arrived on time for spring planting and were so healthy. They thrived all summer. Can't wait until late winter to order more plants for summer 2015 from Growers exchange
Positive allywally11
Covington, GA
October 14, 2014
All of the plants I received from this company have been in excellent condition and packed very well.
Positive Teresa48
Kuttawa, KY
September 28, 2014
I ordered and received Basil 'Holy (Sacred) Green' . I did container gardening with it and it flourished. The plants were quite wonderful. I have them by the back porch and have harvested so much for this winter. Even a little brush fills the air with the most unbelievably great fragrance. I highly recommend this plant and nursery to all.
Teresa
Negative jasarthur
Brentwood, TN (Zone 6a)
July 23, 2014
This was our first time ordering from this company, and I was so impressed when the box arrived. Everything was so well packaged...it looked like they truly cared about pleasing their customers. Then a couple plants took a turn within a few days and I immediately submitted a form on their website asking for replacements. They replied and opened a ticket, but requested photos of the plants in question, which I thought was odd since no vendor has ever made that request in our 40 years of gardening! But I went ahead and sent them photos--and heard nothing back. After almost two weeks, I wrote to them asking if they were going to honor their guarantee. NO REPLY. Then I submitted another online form from their site asking what the problem might be. STILL NO REPLY. My only recourse is to call them and hope I reach someone who cares. As it stands today, I am thoroughly disgruntled by their bad business practices and will never do business with this company again.

Mr. or Ms. White, if you have any interest in making this right, the two tickets opened by your so-called customer service are:
Ticket #879-7740 and Ticket #124-8730
Company representative comment on August 4, 2014:
On Aug 1, 2014 10:50 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower\\\'s Exchange) responded with:

Hello! We are working hard to find you! We\'ve searched out Customer Relations Management databank (where all communication comes in and out) with the ticket numbers above - unfortunately, we can\'t post a screen shot but it says: \"opps, we couldn\'t find a match\"! You may have just spoken to our Customer Support member, Cathy, who is trying hard to figure out where any communication may have gone using all the email addresses you provided. This is a really easy fix, but I can promise you that we HAVE NOT been ignoring you ~ the email address you provided doesn\'t turn up in a search either ... a quick call back and we\'ll fix the issue but it wasn\'t that you were being ignored. We have NO IDEA where any and all communications have gone, but we probably need to use the phone!

Kenan White
Co-Founder
The Growers Exchange

On Aug 4, 2014 9:35 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower\'s Exchange) added:

Please give us a call: 888-829-6201 so we can figure out a remedy! We are here to help and make this right but we need a bit of help! Ask for Customer Service: we are here M-F, 9-4 ET.

Negative jrn
High Point, NC
June 29, 2014
Posted on June 29, 2014, updated June 29, 2014
I ordered ten of the perennial milkweed plants from The Grower's Exchange earlier this year. When the shipment arrived, I noticed one of the plants was not secured like the others, and assumed there had been some rough handling of the package during shipping that loosened it. Soon after planting, I noticed a few of the plants starting to get some yellow leaves. I had planted all of the plants within a day of receiving them, mulched all around them well, and kept them watered. My first thought was simply that there was shock from the shipping and transplanting and they would perk up soon. When they kept getting worse and others started to do the same, I called Customer Service and was instructed to send an email. After several emails back and forth I realized this company does not stand behind its products AT ALL. I originally got a response that said they only replace plants due to damage from shipping; then was told they will guarantee plants for ten days after receipt (I was only told this after I told them I wasn't sure how long I had waited to contact them. I didn't see a need to contact them if the issue was simply stress related. I'm not sure that they even know what their policies are and make them up to suit their needs as they go! in one of my last emails I explained how I have bought much product online from Spring Hill Nursery and have never had a problem with getting plants replaced. As hard of a winter as we just had, they stood behind plants I got last fall, as well as plants that I got this spring just prior to the late hard freeze we had (I'm in NC). No questions asked..the plants that didn't survive were either immediately replaced or scheduled to be shipped at the next shipping season for the particular plants in question. I will NOT order from The Grower's Exchange again and encourage anyone who reads this to shop Spring Hill Nursery if you enjoy buying plants online!
On June 29th, 2014, jrn added the following:

Of the ten plants I ordered, five are dead, one has started blooming, one looks like it may bloom soon, one looks like it may or may not survive and two are barely hanging on...
Company representative comment on July 2, 2014:
On Jul 2, 2014 4:33 PM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Hello Mr. Nelson:

Sorry for any misunderstanding regarding our policies. We do guarantee our plants past shipping, but what we do know is that after 2 + weeks, there is a point at which there are a lot of things that could happen that are basically outside of our control ~ as a gardener, you know what I mean! We try to make our policies clear for customers before checking out ~ you actually can't check out until agreeing to the guarantee.

So, your shipment took one day and we ruled out stress. It was difficult to say exactly as we only had one photo to go one, but we are more than happy to provide you with a store credit to be used in the fall. Just let us know how you'd like to proceed and sorry for any misunderstanding.

We are a small, family owned and operated herb farm and we've been in business for 30 years. We even have an A+ rating with the BBB as well as over 50,000 pretty happy customers. We are VERY sorry that we have let you down as we are not in the business of disappointing folks. We aren't a 'Money back guarantee with no questions asked company' and we tell folks that right up front. But, we are gardeners and try hard to work with our customers.

NO EXCUSES - just stating facts!

Get back to us when you can ~ we'll leave the ticket open until we hear back.

K. White
Customer Support

Positive onenygardener
Sharon Springs, NY
June 15, 2014
I ordered 4 Heavenly Blue Morning Glory Plants from this Company. Was my first time purchasing from them as other suppliers I have used in the past didn't carry, so I really didn't know what to expect. I was delighted, the plants were all healthy and after hardening off I planted them below my deck below the lattice I wanted them to climb and attached string to train them. Even though our spring/summer here has been wet with hardly any sun to speak of 3 of the 4 have already wandered up 2-1/2 feet and are now twining around the lattice, and the 4th has had 3 gorgeous blooms already!! If we ever get much sun and they really take off I'm going to post a picture. Would highly recommend this company and I'm sure I will be ordering from them again in the future!
Negative matp
Westmere, NY
May 28, 2014
I had a poor experience with this company. Half the plants in my initial order were the wrong plants, and some of the others were in very poor shape (and did not survive). After they sent replacements for the plants I was supposed to have gotten, I find that these are the wrong plants too!! Now they are claiming that these are the plants I ordered. Nonsense. I have ordered from this company for years now, but they have really gone down hill, both in terms of quality and customer service. I would not order from this company again.
Company representative comment on June 17, 2014:
On Jun 17, 2014 2:20 PM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Hello:

We are sorry that you had a bad experience with The Growers Exchange. It is hard to address this concern, as we don't know who you are, but the only issue we've had this spring regarding 'wrong plants' has to do with Green Holy Basil. So, we all know not to assume, but if this IS about the Holy Basil, we can only address it this way:

We grow, advertise and sell Ocimum sanctum - it has numerous common names including Tulsi, Holy Basil, Tulasi, Sacred Basil. But, as we list on the website as well as in our catalog, we grow true to species plants. The photos are our own, taken of the plants that we have grown from seed.

If we could do anything more for you, we will try. However, we have already reshipped the order and at this point, we are at a loss as to how to move forward. We are not in the business of disappointing customers and we want you to be satisfied with your order.

Best Regards,

K. White
Customer Support

Positive HouseofFlowers
ROSLINDALE, MA
May 25, 2014
This was my fist time ordering from them...I ordered 8 plants. They were not the biggest plants, but they are all healthy and are thriving. Great plant selection! Shipping was swift and hassle free. I will buy from them again.
Positive SearsR
Dandridge, TN
May 4, 2014
Posted on May 1, 2014, updated May 4, 2014
I have ordered plants from Grower's Exchange before and they always look wonderful!

When I placed my current order, I never received an email confirmation, but I always save my confirmations at check out to PDF, so I was covered. I contacted them and asked about the order and attached a copy. I received my plants in a timely fashion and they all look great! But the packing slip showed I was shipped a comfrey and a chamomile along with the rest of my order. What I received were two chamomiles and no comfrey with the rest of my order. I sent photos and asked what was the possibility of my receiving the comfrey I wanted - I also told them how great the plants looked and that I loved chamomile.
The next email I received said I would be receiving a refund. I responded again with the question is the comfrey out of stock, because I'd really like to receive it. Several hours later I receive email confirmation that my refund had gone through.

No response as to whether comfrey is in stock. It shows in stock online. Now, if I want the comfrey I originally ordered, I will have to pay shipping costs toward someone's packing mistake because someone conveniently issued the refund before my question could be answered.

I find that underhanded and just a little slimy and won't order again, no matter how good the plants look. It's not worth the frustration when, with a little extra time and effort, I can get my own from seed. Especially since I just got the display model mini-greenhouse from a local store at half off.
On May 4th, 2014, SearsR changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am changing from Negative to Positive because I received the following email:

Hello:

Sorry for any misunderstanding; we try to tell customers that it can take up to 48 hours to respond to emails. We are a small family farm, so everyone's pretty busy as you can imagine. We weren't ignoring you.

We are out of Comfrey; not sure why it is showing up as it has no stock.

Yes, it was a packing error and we apologize and have definitely taken it up with the folks that pack and ship.

The only option is a refund ~ and as a gardener, I know how frustrating it is NOT TO GET what you want this season.

I sincerely wish I could make this right, but we just don't have any more.

Kenan White
Negative dodawa2c
Frewsburg, NY
July 19, 2013
I will NEVER order anything from Grower exchange again ! The plants I ordered arrived in poor condition and half of them never made it through the hardening stage. I sent photos back to the company showing them how badly they looked right out of the box and instead of just sending me new plants they allowed me a CREDIT on my NEXT order!
There will never BE a next order I explained (They did"nt get the first one right). I was certainly not going to throw good money after bad.
My advise to any one thinking of buying at Grower Exchange...find a REPUTABLE dealer that is trust worthy and stands behind their products and will refund your money if your not satisfied.
Company representative comment on June 17, 2014:
On Jun 17, 2014 2:24 PM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Sorry that we missed this; a bit late but we did want to address the issue. We did provide credit as we had stopped shipping in mid-summer. We do stand behind our plants, in fact we really care about both the plants and customer satisfaction. No one would appreciate a box shipped mid-summer when our outside temps are in the mid-90's. We begin fall shipping in September, so the credit was intended to provide an opportunity to reship.

Again, sorry that you had bad experience with The Growers Exchange. We work hard to make sure that customers have success with our plants, and we are sorry to lose you as a customer.

B. White
Co-Founder

Positive cricketapollo
Chicago, IL
May 11, 2013
I ordered lavender, rosemary and a terracotta pot from the Grower's Exchange and it was a very positive experience. Communication about my order status was good, shipping was relatively quick and the plants were large, robust and healthy when they arrived. They're now growing well in the ground. Would definitely buy from again.
Positive corarose
Silver Lake, NC
January 26, 2013
When I first ordered herbs online, I placed orders with three companies, and the results were less than wonderful: some of the plants arrived dead or moribund at best, and others didn't live long. Then I discovered the Grower's Exchange, which sent me healthy, bushy herbs expertly packed that thrived. Some of the lemon thyme and the rosemary are still going from that first order, and I've reordered two or three times--a few more each time. I wouldn't order herbs from any other source.
Positive mosside
Charles City, VA
January 22, 2013
I have ordered several times from Growers Exchange. The plants have all been healthy and have grown well after planting. A Bay Tree I ordered several years ago thrives in a planter that lives in my green house during the winter, along with a lemon grass plant that has become huge.
Positive LunaRo
Poughkeepsie, NY (Zone 6a)
January 21, 2013
My order came in great condition (April 2012 - Cat Herb Garden). Part of the set was unavailable at the time, so they offered a substitute. We exchanged a couple of emails, and even shared a couple of laughs - I like gardeners with a sense of humor! In the end they managed to find the piece that was unavailable.
I'd order from The Grower's Exchange again, and would recommend.
Positive susie1941
TOW, TX
January 20, 2013
I ordered my plants, last May. They arrived in awesome packaging and the plants were healthy, in A++ condition. I love the selection they have on-line and will order, again this Spring. I've recommended Grower's Exchange to family and friends.
Positive mujervieja
Canehill, AR
January 19, 2013
I have ordered plants twice - first time, assorted herbs last Summer and last time, late Fall, three kinds of perennial plants that were on sale. The re-potted perennials are thriving in the greenhouse awaiting Spring. My rosemary plants did die but it was my mishandling at fault. All the plants, herbs and perennials, arrived in excellent condition. I will buy again from Grower's Exchange.
Positive 72denim
Gladstone, MO
January 19, 2013
I received my plants last spring. Everything arrived safe and sound. All the plants did well over the summer which here in Missouri was hot and dry. We did water some but as little as possible. The really amazing thing is the two rosemary plants are still alive. They are in pots on our patio, not particularly sheltered. We've had some snow and below freezing weather several times, including over a week where the temperatures didn't get out of the 20's. Definitely will be ordering again next spring.
Positive Egclittle
Alexandria, LA
January 19, 2013
I've ordered herbs several times. They've arrived healthy and in good condition. I appreciate the fact that they ship only at the appropriate planting time. I'll shop there again.
Positive kmdubow
Kennett Square
United States
December 5, 2012
I ordered a potted herb kit as a gift for my sister in law to grow herbs with her son. She told me he was thrilled when he opened the box to see something LIVING inside! She was equally as excited to get a gift that can turn into a teaching experience. The site is easy to use and offers many tips for growing. Plus, the order shipped out the very next day! I will be ordering again!
Positive katharinehayes
May 13, 2012
I received the Potted Herb Kit last week from the Growers Exchange. In perfect time for lots of summer recipes. Growers Exchange did a great job packaging both the pots as well as the plants to make sure they were well protected during shipping. Everything was easy to put together and the herbs were easy to transplant to the pots. They were healthy plants upon arrival in the mail. The Growers Exchange also did an excellent job providing great directions on transplanting, phone numbers to call in the event of damage during transport and also recipes for the herbs I received! I am very impressed by the Growers Exchange and will definitely use them in the future.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2012:
On May 16, 2012 10:55 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Thank you for the kind feedback regarding our Kitchen Herb Planter! (http://www.thegrowers-exchange.com/Kitchen_Herb_Planter_p/he...)

We're very glad you enjoyed potting this kit, as we feel it's a great way to give the gift of gardening. Thank you for your order and enjoy using your new indoor herbs. We also have lots of great information on our herbs and recipes on our site to help you use your plants in new ways. Thanks again and we look forward to hearing from you in the future!

Neutral thammond
Dunstable, MA
May 12, 2012
Placed an order May 1, 2012. I had no contact from the company once I placed my order until I emailed them. Since I received my plant orders from other vendors that I ordered on the same day as this order, I emailed them on May 7th to find out the status of the order. I received a response that stated "Hello: We are just beginning to ship to your Zone. The weather has been a bit unreliable, and we need to make sure that they can ship safely.Thanks for your patience! Customer Support The Growers Exchange 888-829-6201" I thought that rather strange since other vendors had shipped my orders that were placed on the same day as this one, and I received them without issue.

I noticed on the website that at least one of my plants was listed as out of stock. So I emailed them again, "If my order has yet to ship, what is the status then of the plants that I ordered that at the time were in stock and are now showing on your website as "gone"?" To which I received this response, "Hello: If you were able to order them, then they were in stock at the time. Our inventory is pretty up to date. And, as I said, we are hopefully shipping to your Zone this week. Regards,Customer Support The Growers Exchange 888-829-6201"

I thought that response a bit snippy since in the original response no where does it say they were shipping that week, just that they were beginning to ship to my zone.

When I received the plants while they were healthy looking and packed well, they were all so root bound I had to cut them out of the plastic pots since I could not remove the pots without ripping off half the roots that were growing outside the bottom of the pots to the point that the drainage holes were almost fully filled in by roots.

All in all not the best experience with a vendor but not the worst. The do need to improve communication and customer service, in my opinion.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2012:
On May 16, 2012 10:48 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

We truly appreciate your business and your comment about our healthy herbs. We are glad you were happy with the end result. I do apologize for any misunderstanding regarding our shipping process, and we'll work on being more accurate and responsive. Thank you for your patience and honest feedback.

Negative Aeyla
Lake City, FL
April 16, 2012
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated April 16, 2012
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated April 9, 2012
Posted on March 23, 2012, updated April 9, 2012
I ordered herbs from this company and the arrived yesterday (2 days for standard shipping is pretty good to me) The plants were packed better then I have ever seen with an on-line company. There was only one plant that got smashed instead of being placed in the u shaped area it should have been. It is not dead but may need to be replaced. I am sure this company will do so if I ask. I am going to give the plant a go first. The rest of the plants are in great condition and are "hardening off" in my basement while I anxiously wait to plant this weekend. :)
I WILL be ordering from this company again!!!

On April 9th, 2012, Aeyla changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I had three of the 9 plants I order not make it. When I emailed them for replacements, I was told that I needed to send them pictures of the plants. This made me feel like they were accusing me of lying about them dying. I followed their instructions but the three just did not make it thru transplant shock. They were in the perfect place in the garden (two in pots) but they were not strong enough to make through the deliver and transplant. I told them not to bother with the replacements because I was offended & would not be doing business with them again. This is their reponse.

Hello:

No offense intended; we've been growing and selling for over 30 years. When we have an issue, we consider it a problem to be solved. The only way we can address problems is to know exactly what we are dealing with - and the photos are our best instrument for problem solving.

You should be happy that you are working with qualified growers who only want to keep getting better.

I can offer no apology - our policy is crystal clear and we stand by it. It is not intended to offend customers, it's a means by which we assess issues.

We are sorry to loose you as a customer.

Kenan W.
So no apology because their policy is crystal clear. Only stupid people like me would be offended by their wonderfullness LOL Ok sorry but they are just a little to full of themselves. The other plants are doing fine and I have no problems with them. I only have problems with the attitude of the company. So this inexperienced (25 yrs is not enough I guess) gardener will shop elsewhere.

On April 9th, 2012, Aeyla added the following:

Oh and as you see below when I had a favorable post they were so willing to replace the plant that got smashed (this was one that did not make it)
On April 16th, 2012, Aeyla changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Ok so I have again been called out as in the wrong, and this wonderful company the best of the best. Sorry guys look at the NEW negative comment above mine. You did the same to this person.
All I can say to anyone buying from them. I think they have Quality plants and if you are willing to jump through hoops if anything goes wrong order from them.

Company representative comment on April 10, 2012:
On Mar 27, 2012 7:24 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Thanks so much for the kind feedback! We've worked really hard to develop shipping methods that would not only be sustainable, but would allow our plants to arrive in the best condition! We take the utmost care in packing our plants, because we certainly don't want you to receive something that we wouldn't plant in our own garden. Please contact us immediately if you see that the plant you mentioned has not perked up, and we will be happy to resolve things for you. Thanks again and have a great spring!

On Apr 10, 2012 8:44 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) added:

As I stated, there was no offense intended. The only intention is to make sure that we solve problems in order to get better at what we do. Requesting a photo of the plants in question allows us to review and assess. It's a vital part of our problem solving process and that is stated on all of our materials as well. The response that we received upon requesting the photographs:

"Dear Kenan,
I have never been asked for photos to get replacement plants with any of the online company's that I have been doing
business with in the past. I can
understand that you may get scammed by some customers that just want free
plants. But as someone that has worked in the service industry for 25 years
you have not learned one of the most important lessons.
THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT. That is how you keep customers coming back.
I have attached the pictures that you wanted.
I was giving your company a try because you had herb plants that I did not
find in my local nursery.

Please do not bother to send the replacement plants because I will not be
doing any further business with your company.
I have several online nurseries that I have been using for years that sent
me replacement plants with out making me feel that I was inferior to them,
as you made me feel. The However, our policies regarding problem orders is very transparent - we are working each and every day to make sure that we are correcting problems

On Apr 10, 2012 8:51 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) added:

We are not in the business of offending customers nor do we want to loose customers. However, we do want our customers to understand our policies and procedures and that is why we require our customers to read and accept our polices prior to check out. An overused but very appropriate term is 'transparency' - as long as we are open and honest with our customers, and as long as we feel that our policies are appropriate and fair, then we will continue to build on a business that has been growing and selling plants for over a quarter of a century. We are very sorry to loose business, but again, we cannot apologize for our stated policies.

Another point: we do not want to be a company that sends 'replacement plants' as our goal is to get it right the first time. We were only asking for help in getting it right - we view our customers as partners, not as the enemy.

Negative cjca07
Brunswick, GA
April 12, 2012
My plants were promised in mid-March, but did not arrive until mid-April. In this La Nina year, that means I can't put them in the ground until next fall & they will have to summer over in pots as best they can.

I had paid for priority 2-day shipping, but plants were sent by FedEx Ground. G'sX response was "wow it's good you saw that we probably never would have caught our error!" KEEP A COPY OF YOUR ORIGINAL ORDER!

About half the 25 plants arrived full-leaved and healthy. Another third are healthy but very,very immature. There is considerable evidence of fungal growth. One plant ( a $10 bay "tree") arrived with two leaves attached, one of them half-consumed by fungus and with fungal spots on the other. Closer inspection revealed a 1/4" long hole that pierced the cambium layer of the central stalk - i suspect, by a borer or other parasite.

G'sX has agreed to refund both the shipping error and two of the most damaged plants, but only after I sent them pictures and several emails back and forth.

The "wait and see" advice was also proferred to me as it has been to other reviewers. I can't help but suspect that they hoped I'd just say forget it and throw the plants out. If I had been complaining about wilted plants or a few leaves knocked off I would not have complained at all - but now I have to isolate all the G'sX plants as well as transplanting them twice, until I see what other problems might develop.

A most discouraging experience, all in all.

Company representative comment on April 16, 2012:
On Apr 16, 2012 8:52 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Hello:

First, we are more than willing to accept responsibility for any shipping oversight - which we did.

As far as a 'wait and see' attitude is concerned: we know, from experience, that there are many times when plants need a few days to perk up after being boxed and shipped. That is not a natural state for any plant, and we provide detailed instructions for all of our customers in order to 'walk them through' the steps. Any orders that left in the past 10 days may have gone out without the instructions, as we underestimated the amount of guides needed and had to reorder.

If anyone thinks that we are hoping that customers 'throw the plants out' then we should just close up shop. We are growers - not brokers. We tend these plants from seeds or plugs to full grown plants. We are a small operation, family owned and operated, and we want EVERYONE to have success with our plants. The request for information, and photos, is a means by which we can solve problems. There are so many times customer feedback has helped us: box design, shipping times as well as issues with a particular crop.

In the case of the Bays: our growers (who have close to 30 years experience) reviewed your photos (many thanks). Bays are a broadleaf evergreen and the leaves in question are from last year - they are shedding old leaves. If we detected fungus, believe me, they'd be isolated. Bays are not a florist plant - a bit unattractive at times.There is no reason to worry that your plants are in any way in danger - we have greenhouses full and disease and pest control is a major priority.

We work hard to answer each and every customer and their issues. That is not always an easy task as our business is constantly growing, but we know that we can't grow without our customers. We don't like to loose customers, and we don't like to have negative ratings but at the same time, it's very important for us, as a company, to make sure any current or future customers to understand WHO we are and WHAT we do. We have shipped literally hundreds of thousands of plants, successfully, since becoming members on Dave's. A lot of happy and satisfied customers, and I wish they were members!

However, we are more than willing to work to at least let you leave with a better opinion. We don't pretend to think we can save you as a customer, but at least provide you with some satisfaction besides this review.

Positive auring77
Maumelle, AR
April 8, 2012
I ordered 4 Joe Pye Weed plants from The Growers Exchange. I read negative reviews about their packaging but I found the packaging to be very efficient and the plants in very good condition upon arrivial. I followed the planting instructions and a week later the plants seem to thriving and well on it's way. I did have to email inquiries about the status of my order several times before getting a shipping date but otherwise I feel I would order from them again. I've been very disappointed so many times before with poor plant products and small specimens from other big companies. Hope to update this review as my Joe Pye weeds grow through the season. I'm excited and hopefiul. Aurora Huston
Negative sylvanaranyani
San Diego, CA
April 8, 2012
Posted on April 6, 2012, updated April 8, 2012
The "plants" arrived broken and brown. Customer "service" said all the leaves will drop and new growth will emerge, roots are what matters. Well duh, I ordered plants not roots. They advertise full grown plants. With shipping the 3 pathetic specimens cost $10 each. Never again.
On April 8th, 2012, sylvanaranyani added the following:

Growers Exchange does not stand behind their product, they did not offer to make good on the sale with refund or exchange. I'll shop at local nurseries for service and quality.
Positive Stinker2012
Lexington, SC
March 26, 2012
I just have to say I got all my plants about 10 days after I ordered them. My Chocolate, Apple and Orange mints and my lemon verbena. I got it so fast and the plants are just beautiful.So impressed and will definitley be ordering again from here. This was my first time and so happy.
Company representative comment on March 27, 2012:
On Mar 27, 2012 7:25 AM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Thank you for the compliment! We're not happy until you're happy and we're so very glad that you love our plants as much as we do! Please keep us posted on their success and have a great spring!

Positive gardenwych
Mar-Mac, NC
February 8, 2012
My plants arrived sooner than was expected & they were very healthy, all in all I was very impressed with the company
Company representative comment on February 8, 2012:
On Feb 8, 2012 12:23 PM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Thank you so much for the kind feedback! We strive to give our customers the best experience possible and the highest quality plants available, because if we wouldn't plant it in our own garden, we wouldn't want you to, either. We really value what our customers think about us and try to improve and raise the bar on quality each year. Thank you again, we wouldn't be an exchange without you!

Negative Carolchad1
Fayetteville, GA
August 27, 2011
I had a bad experience in several ways with The Grower's exchange. I placed my order March 31. They charged it to my credit card immediately. I did not receive my order. When I asked about it they said they were waiting for a few of the things that I had ordered, and asked if would I like to wait until May 1. I said yes. May and June came and went. Meanwhile the items I had ordered went on sale - I was still waiting for my full priced order and they were sending me e-mails about all the sales they were having on the items I never received but paid full price for. I asked again where my order was. They then sent 3 things out of the 7 things that I had ordered. They said they were sold out of 4 of the items. The main item that I had wanted they were not sold out of according to correspondence but they did not send it - a shipping error. I still wanted that item which was why I ordered with them in the first place as no one else had this item. I e-mailed them back several more times about this item, and no response. I got a pay pal refund, but you get charged a fee so I lost money also. This company seems very disorganized, I don't like how they charge your charge card immediately rather than waiting until the item is shipped, and their customer service was customer no service. I will not order anything from this company again.
Company representative comment on August 29, 2011:
On Aug 29, 2011 2:02 PM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Wow! I thought the most recent hurricane we weathered was tough!

First, we charge customer's cards upon the order being placed. That's a pretty acceptable practice among internet retailers, and we are very transparent about that policy.

You did order on 3/31/2011, and we contacted you when we realized that our Holy Basil crop was experiencing some germination issues. You said that you wanted to wait. However, when it became clear to us that we were not going to have success with that herb, we shipped your order and refunded you immediately. Your order arrived on 6/15/2011. Your credit was issued on 6/6/2011, and that did include credit for 2 other plants that we were not able to ship.

Three weeks later, you contacted us regarding your order. You specifically asked when we would ship the Comfrey, and we responded that according to our records, it shipped. You never responded to our email. We have run a 'search' on our Customer Management System to try and find any of the emails you are referring to, but we are unable to find any correspondence from you after 7/7/2011.

We are not in the business of making folks unhappy, and we really pride ourselves on our customer service team. We are a family owned and operated business with 25 years of satisfied customers. We want to clear up any problems or misunderstandings. But, we can't do it unless we hear back from you. So, please feel free to contact us and let's see if we can figure this out.

Negative tmdono
Huntington, NY (Zone 7a)
September 20, 2010
I too have a problem with their packaging. Plants are taped into cardboard holders with nothing to hold the soil in the plastic pots. My plants arrive with soil spilled into the box (and out of the pots) and plant labels scattered. The plants themselves (tarragon, achillea) were in passable condition at best.
Company representative comment on September 25, 2010:
On Sep 25, 2010 1:50 PM, The Growers Exchange (aka The Grower's Exchange) responded with:

Hello Friend: This email was sent to the hundreds of folks that have received shipments from The Growers Exchange in the past 2 weeks. We really mean EVERY word we write - I've been in this business for 30 years now, and I wouldn't be where I am without the exchanges between me and my customers. I WORK hard to make sure that you get what you need - it's your hard earned money and my sweat and tears. We need to get this right. But, I can't help you if you don't help me. I am really sorry about the packing, and as you can see below we made a slight change and corrected it right away - I figured it out quickly thanks to customer response. I am growing BIGGER plants and not charging any more for them. I was hoping to get rid of the adapters with the larger pot size .. live and learn.

To my customers ...

"First, thanks much for your recent order. Whether a new or returning customer, we value your business and try to provide you with the best our garden has to offer. Our shipping season traditionally begins in mid-September, and holding to tradition, we began to ship on the 15th. Mother Nature is a cruel one at times, and this heat has been extreme. We have heard back from a small fraction of you, and are working on solutions to any and all 'issues' - mostly heat related. Please know that we are committed to both excellent plant material and quality customer service - each one of you is important and we strive to get it right. When we don't, we work hard to remedy the issues. From some feedback, we realized that we need to use our adapters; we have increased the size of our pots and thought we could eliminate this added packing. We quickly realized that we still needed it.

The Growers Exchange is an EXCHANGE and we can't grow without you and your excellent feedback. So, in this case, accept apologies for any issues and know that we are working hard to keep your business.

Thanks again and Happy Gardening!"

Positive Thornns
Genoa, NY
April 26, 2010
As there were not many ratings for this company, I was a bit worried...but they had a great selection of plants I was looking for and great prices as well...so I ordered.

My plants arrived with astonishing speed and in fantastic condition.

Thank you!!!!
Positive iravros
Howell, MI
September 21, 2009
Last fall, I ordered three small bay trees. They arrived in top condition and have thrived through the Michigan winter (indoors) and summered outside. Now they are indoors again for the winter and they are growing nicely in a pot with lemon balm, rosemary and thyme. Fresh bay leaves in soups and stews are unbeatable. I had planned to give two away as gifts, but got attached to them. Perhaps I should order more...
Positive roisemaire
Vincentown, NJ (Zone 6b)
June 2, 2008
Ordered from this company recently and was very pleased at the size and great condition of their plants. They were well packed with cardboard separators to keep them in place and prevent plants from rolling around. The first order must have been placed at an opportune time, as they rec'd my order via Internet on Thurs. afternoon and I rec'd the entire order of six perennials in 48 hours. Amazing turnaround time! My second order was delayed a day or two by the Memorial Day holiday schedule, but, again, was received within six days of placing the order. What more can you ask for?
Positive notmartha
Bay City, MI (Zone 6a)
October 31, 2007
I ordered a few days ago form the fall sale and my plants arrived in the best condition! packing was wonderful and the size of the plants unbelievably large!! I wish I would have ordered more. I give them a A++ rating Great job! :) will be a return customer, maybe yet this week!
dori
Neutral girlndocs
Tacoma, WA
April 11, 2007
I ordered a Eucalyptus "Silver Drop" and it's arrived in awful condition. The packing job was terrible, I've never before seen a company send live potted plants wrapped in newspaper, laid **on their sides** and buried in styrofoam packing peanuts.

Naturally, when I dug out the plant wreckage greeted my eyes. Half the dirt was in the newspaper instead of the pot, most of the roots were exposed and the plant looks like an elephant not only sat on it but also farted on it. Completely predictable.

I've contacted the company and will update my feedback once the situation is resolved.

On April 13th, 2007, girlndocs changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

The Grower's exchange responded me the same day I complained, and by business time the next morning let me know a replacement would ship out to me ASAP. I appreciate their prompt response.

However, it left a bad taste in my mouth to have them tell me that the damage must be "in-transit damage", in other words FedEx's fault and not theirs. Sure, the damage occurred in transit -- but it clearly wouldn't have occurred with a different packing method, and FedEx doesn't do the packing.

So, I'm glad I was able to have this resolved so speedily and politely, but I'm not going to order from the Grower's Exchange again.
On April 25th, 2007, girlndocs added the following:

The new plant arrived, in passable shape (smooshed-looking, but healthy).

Assuming they shipped last Monday as they told me they would, that means it spent 8 days in transit, and I don't understand why they charged me $7 for that when for the same price it could have been sent USPS priority and arrived in 3 or 4 days.
Positive IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA
April 2, 2007
I ordered some herbs from this company, and they arrived in excellent condition, so much so, that I immediently placed another order with the company.
Positive haccprof
Camp Hill, PA
February 1, 2007
Ordered Heuchera from these folks in the Fall and items were in great shape and growing vigorously