The scoop on 'Silver Star Vinery'

Silver Star Vinery

31805 NE Clearwater Drive
Yacolt, Washington 98675 (United States)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive mhthomann
Trout Creek, MI
September 29, 2014
For years I have ordered from Silver Star Vinery and have been thrilled with Debbie's clematis and the very special care she gives them. Her online ordering is easy and she has great descriptions of all her clematis vines. I just received my fall order and they were big beautiful healthy plants with large root balls. Silver Star Vinery satisfies my clematis addiction, great company.
Positive Ves
Buffalo, NY (Zone 5b)
September 20, 2014
This was the first time I was purchasing a clematis and it couldn't have been a better experience, thanks to Debbie. I called to ask a couple of newbie questions and she was helpful in every way. She also briefly followed up with an e-mail. When the clematis arrived, it was exactly as promised on the website: the rootball was large, there were several vines, all properly pruned, wonderfully packaged that there was absolutely no damage, and all else was exactly as I read in the books that should be expected from the best growers and sellers. I can't wait to see my Etoile Violette growing and will certainly order more from the Silver Creek Vinery in the future. Debbie is not just a seller, you could see that she loves this beautiful plant and cares that others are happy clematis growers as well.
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
April 4, 2014
I received my plants/clematis from Debbie yesterday and was so pleasantly surprised at the packing/health and age of them. Since my early order this year back in January, I had a couple of inquiries of Debbie and she responded in a very positive manner. I would highly recommend looking into ordering from Silver Star!
Positive montanakate
Culbertson, MT
May 20, 2013
I ordered 6 different clematis from Silver Star Vinery after seeing very good reviews. I have ordered clematis from probably 5 or 6 different places and have always been disappointed with the size and quality of the plants. Not here! The rootballs were huge and the plants were healthy and large. I am extremely happy and will be ordering again next year!
Positive cdehaven
Sandpoint, ID
May 17, 2013
This company is wonderful. I have never taken the time to write feedback about any company until now. Debbie emailed me several times to offer advice about plants for my area and answered all my questions. The plants were healthy and had wonderful root systems. I planted them and they are taking off already. It is obvious that Debbie loves these plants and this is more than just a business to her. Wonderful selection also. Will definitely order from her again.
Positive shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA (Zone 7a)
May 7, 2013
Posted on April 24, 2007, updated May 7, 2013
Excellent, large, healthy plants. The root systems are amazing. The quart size root system has large, healthy roots that will fill the entire pot. Carefully covered tops (plastic pot to protect the green growth). I ordered 6 and just ordered another 4 yesterday.

Can't say enough about this company. Fast ship, unless she's doing shows and is a bit behind, but her personality is great as well. Very knowledgeable and fun to talk with. Debbie knows everything about clematis and it shows in the product you recieve. I PROMISE you will not be disappointed and will never buy box store clematis again.

If you have questions you should give her a call or email her before ordering. I learned that after I picked colors like liked I needed to learn about their growing habits and she helped me find the perfect plant for my needs, lighting, soil, etc. and explained the difference in #2 & #3 which some need cut back and others don't - which I would never have known unless I talked to Debbie.

Kathy
On April 24th, 2007, shihtzumom added the following:

I typed quart size but these are GALLON size. Sorry. I'll post pics when my newest order arrives.

Tell Debbie your heard it from Shihtzumom! She is the best! Order now before they are all gone (and I buy them all).

Kathy
On October 3rd, 2007, shihtzumom added the following:

I logged on to post a postive feedback for Siver Vinery because they are blooming again - and my Virginia weather has been terrible - low water, high temps. I walked around the yard this evening and saw such beautiful reblooming plants and wanted to touch base with members to say - these are excellent plants. I've never been able to grow clematis before these.

The box store clematis are so frail. The root system on Silver Vinery clematis are huge and I will be ordering again in Spring.

I was, however, disappointed to see someone had a bad experience. They stated they grew hundreds of clematis and these were not growing. Maybe it's their bad seasonal weather- it can't be the plants.

I just hate to see a company messed up for ONE neg feedback when they have produced such great plants for ME.

Kathy 10-2-07
On May 7th, 2013, shihtzumom added the following:

Excellent clematis as always. I have been purchasing from Silver Star for about 6 years, have tried other companies too, as well as box store clematis.

The selection and root size of these plants far exceed any I've purchased elsewhere. I have over 50 clematis and they are amazing and well shipped and labeled.

I just ordered 12 this year and all area planted as they should be, digging the hole, putting plant food in the hole, along with water before covering the rootball, and taking care to keep watered during the first weeks as needed. I can't believe how much growth has already appeared from plantings I put in 2 weeks ago.

Silver Star is #1 for clematis in my opinion. Great choices and I always get my order in early. Love this company!
Positive PenelopePutters
Rigby, ID
May 2, 2013
My experience with Silver Star Vinery was more than satisfactory. While ordering I let Debbie know in her comments field that it was my first go at clematis and she kindly advised to consider changing one vine to a more hardy one for my zone 4 garden, then she stayed in touch and helped me through my decision. The vines arrived exactly when expected according to her emails. I have no doubt that with proper care they with thrive!
Positive MDSA
Alexandria, LA
April 20, 2013
Posted on March 8, 2013, updated April 20, 2013
I have had a wonderful experience with Silver Star Vinery. Debbie with Silver Star Vinery was so helpful. She responded almost immediately to my e-mails pertaining to which clematis would be right for me in hot and humid Louisiana. I have ordered clematis from many other vendors, but never received such healthy clematis with huge root balls. Other vendors I have bought from in the past have sent me very young cuttings of clematis which had a poor root system, but not Silver Star Vinery. The clematis from Silver Star Vinery were clearly several years old, and they were very well-established and in beautiful, healthy condition. I would highly recommend Silver Star Vinery to anyone considering buying clematis!!! The clematis I received from Silver Star Vinery are amazing --- the best clematis I have ever bought from any where to date!!! All I can say is "WOW"!!!
On April 20th, 2013, MDSA added the following:

The clematis from Silver Star Vinery are so far superior to any other mail order nursery, I have continued now to only buy from DEbbie at Silver Star Vinery. The plants are so healthy, and the root balls are so large and vigorous. I cannot say enough about this nursery. It is truly a five star establishment, that genuinely cares about the plants they send to others.
Positive Mollymoosmom
Wolf Trap, VA
April 10, 2013
I just received my order today and am thrilled with the quality of the plant and the size of the rootball. Debbie is wonderful to work with. She responds quickly and I received my order 3 days after placing it. I am looking forward to seeing the plants in bloom and will be sure to order from Silver Star again in the future.
Positive msdlake
Lynn, MA
April 9, 2013
The plants and the customer service I received from silver star vinery was excellent. I was contacted by Deb saying the variety of clematis I had ordered were not in great shape, so she assisted me in selecting a variety that I now think is a much better fit with what I intended. The plants were shipped promptly and arrived in excellent condition, with ginormous rootballs, and started to grow after about a week. I also received a free "seedling" that had a rootball bigger than some clematis I've ordered from other nurseries. I highly recommend silver star vinery, and will definitely only buy clematis from them in the future.
Positive Clematrose
Quamba, MN
March 15, 2013
The plants I received were exceptional. They had a very large rootball with some of best soil I've seen. The plants came in the mail in very good condition, and received email for order and delivery promptly. Even received a free smaller plant considered an unknown seedling, which I think will be exciting to see what it will turn out to be. I am very pleased with this company, the owner is very knowledgeable and caring. I definitely will be back for more.
Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
March 11, 2013
I partly agree with RIVER FARM, I adored this nursery. Debbie is very informative person, I like her strory about how she starts this business. I perfers to leave positive rating for now. In reality, root ball is huge as description but little bit disappointment on plants compare to Donahue's clematis. Not very active growth filled with gallon of potting soil. However, shipping is right on schedule, price not so bad. Communication is extremely great. I potted them last weekend with special care. Hope they're doing well.
Negative RiverFarm
Manchester, MO
February 8, 2013
I realize that Silver Star Vinery is adored by many Clematis lovers; however, my experience has not been as positive. Of the 26 clematis I have planted in the last several years, 4 have died. Two of them were from Silver Star Vinery. Over the course of 3 years (2010, 2011, 2012) I have ordered 8 clematis from this business. None of them have really taken off yet, and two bit-the-dust within the first year of planting. I did mention to the owner that my plants had died within months of planting but received no offer of a refund. Clematis purchased from the big box stores, other nurseries and from native plant sales have all thrived. Furthermore, the 6 clematis that I bought from Chalk Hill's end-of-business sale were thriving within a year of planting.

I do admit that the personal service is good and the selection is fantastic. Nonethless, I recommend that new customers take it slow and not get carried away with the impressively varied selection. It is very doubtful that I will purchase from Silver Star Vinery again.
Positive hocklea
Seattle, WA
February 7, 2013
Posted on April 25, 2011, updated February 7, 2013
Ordered way more than I should have the past couple of years. The best ever clems. Makes an addict proud. Fantastic root system. Debbie is great. Just the absolute best service and product. Thanks lots. Angela
On February 7th, 2013, hocklea added the following:

Having ordered many different times, I wish to say I have always had a great experience. Great plants, great service. Placed another order for this spring, can hardly wait.
Positive butterpat
Pittsburgh, PA
September 24, 2012
I've been ordering clematises from Debbie for about five years. Her product is so superior (no other supplier consistently delivers such robust growth) that at this point I really don't use anyone else.
Positive Mary1NYS
Sherrill, NY (Zone 5a)
June 19, 2012
Ordered 4 clematis on a Sunday and they shipped out on Monday! Nice plants planted a week ago and they are already .putting on new growth. Very pleased with communication too and I have put in 2 more orders!
Positive gardengails
Davenport, WA
June 13, 2012
Debbie is the best and so are her clematis! I ordered 19 clematis for myself and an additional 6 as gifts for family members this spring. Each and every one of them is thriving. The plants were all packaged so well. Debbie was always quick to respond to my e-mails and was extremely helpful in helping me pick the right clematis for my individual family members (different planting zones, sun exposure, etc.).
I have already placed an order for fall, because I am so impressed with the quality and selection of Silver Star's plants.
I can't imagine ordering from anyone else, I'm sold!
Positive amee2828
Hyde Park, NY
May 24, 2012
Posted on June 26, 2008, updated May 24, 2012
I ordered a clemetis last year from Debbie and she sent me an extra for no additional cost which was greatly appreciated. Both plants arrived with very good root systems. One is doing great - thriving even in a mostly shady spot. The other is not doing as well but that is owing entirely to the poor sites I have selected (we recently moved so I wasn't sure what plants would be appearing this spring and large plants kept popping up around the clemetis and choking it out). I've had to move it several times and still the little guy just keeps on growing back. I would not hesitate to recommend ordering from Silver Star and look forward to ordering from them again myself!
On May 24th, 2012, amee2828 added the following:

Ordered another clematis this Spring and it looks as great as I expected. Debbie was very helpful in assisting me with the selection of the right clematis for my site. The plant arrived quickly and exactly when she said and had a huge wonderful root ball. It was planted about two weeks ago and has already sent up new shoots that are several inches tall. If you are looking for healthy clematis don't hesitate to order from Silver Star!
Positive Quintillian
STORRS MANSFIELD, CT
April 13, 2012
Perle d'Azure and Etoile Violette arrived exactly on time today and went immediately into their prepared sites.

Both were pruned short with the roots securely wrapped in plastic, cushioned by a jacket of newspaper, and fit together snugly into a priority mail box. I received an email alert, a tracking link, a projected delivery date and voila! right on time. (There was no annoying extra charge for including a second clematis as with some companies.)

I'm glad the holes were a full 24" deep or more because, as promised, the root balls were very sizable and expanded quite a bit after manipulation.

Perle will be ascending an established New Dawn climbing rose planted a couple feet away on the opposite side of an 8" x 8" post and Violette will be working her way up an Awakening about twenty feet away on the same sunny arbor.

Lots of support and decent shade for the roots.

Great plants, excellent root systems, and at a reasonable price. The trick now is to water deeply but not too frequently, so the roots don't rot.
Positive sandysgardn
Charlottesville, VA
November 6, 2011
I have been growing clematis for a number of years and have well over a hundred varieties. Unfortunately I was not previously aware of the existance of Silver Star Vinery. I was recently in search of "Perle D'Azur" . Itis not an easy one to obtain and is renown as being slow to start . All the more reason for locating a source that provides a more mature plant.

I just ordered two from SSV and was very pleased with both the quality of the plants and the awesome service. It is an exceptional source for clematis and I only wish that it was better advertised so that more people would have access to their wonderful stock. I note that both Brushwood and Garden Crossings are in your top 30. There is no doubt that Silver Star Vinery would be there too if it was better known as I found the quality of the plants to be superior.
Neutral lvyao
Katy, TX
September 8, 2011
after reading all the positive reviews, I ordered 4 clematis from them. When they arrived, the plants are all cut back, 2 of them have the largest rootball I every get from mail order, yet another 2 are just normal size wrapped in loose soil.

After planting, 3 of them send out new shoots and 1 did not( 1 of the 2 small ones), after wait patiently for one month, I finally dig it out and found the roots already rotten.

So, to be fair, I gave them neutral, the positive is they have large selections and some of the plants are big, negative part is I can't get reship for my dead plant.
Positive JuliaNY
Dundee, NY
July 28, 2011
Having received my clematis I ordered from Silver Star Vinery in May, I've waited before posting a review to see how over a couple of months time how the clematis would do.
After failing to get Huldine from another mail order source, I decided to try Silver Star as I had not ordered from them previously. Her response time in following up on the request and sending the clematis was very speedy. The clematis she sent had a great rootball and already appeared to have been cut back.
It has grown so much and I've pinched it back 2 times already. It is now blooming and seems to be growing okay.
Would definitely buy from again.
Positive Gabrielle
(Zone 5a)
July 22, 2011
I have purchased Clematis from box stores, quality nurseries and quality mail order sources, and the four plants I purchased from Silver Star Vinery were superior to any. They arrived ready to take off running and did just that!
Positive NHBabs
Concord, NH
June 3, 2011
Excellent quality plants that settle into the garden easily and grow well. Nice selection of plants, some of which aren't available elsewhere in the US to my knowledge. Superb customer service. I have ordered twice from Silver Star and will be ordering from Debbie again in the future.
Positive cakelady04
Burbank, IL
May 22, 2011
Posted on June 27, 2010, updated May 22, 2011
I ordered 2 clematis plants about a month ago. Again slightly hesitant of mail ordering, but once again proven its the way to order. Debbie has such a wide variety of plants, and the website is so extensive & full of info. When my clematis plants arrived, ( exactly when Debbie said they would) I was thrilled at the size. The leaves & vines were nice sizes, but the root balls were huge. Definitely quality plants!! I am pleased to say both clematis are doing fine, even with all the downpour of rain we are getting here. I will order from her again!
On May 22nd, 2011, cakelady04 added the following:

I just received 4 more clematis plants for this year. These truely are the biggest plants I've purchased. They have a huge root system. I will always order from Debbie. It's nice to deal with a quality business, that is so customer service oriented. What a pleasure to do business with. see you next year!!!
Positive Karen4Roses
Traverse City, MI
May 21, 2011
This is the first year I've ordered from Silver Star Vinery, but it won't be the last! The two clematis I ordered were carefully packed, very healthy, with HUGE roots. They were some of the nicest clematis plants I've ever ordered. The service was great too. My husband had to go for out-of-town surgery and I wrote to see if they could delay shipping - they wrote back immediately and waited until I got back home to ship. Great folks to deal with - beautiful plants.
Positive Ruth_MI
Northville, MI
May 13, 2011
Posted on May 1, 2011, updated May 13, 2011
Ordered two clematis and was extremely happy with what I received. Very well-rooted, and much better than what I typically see in local nurseries. Excellent communication and my order was shipped very quickly. I'm ordering more.
On May 13th, 2011, Ruth_MI added the following:

update - ordered six more clems and was once again extremely happy with the clematis and the service.
Positive spikemom
Philadelphia, PA
April 24, 2011
I found Silver Star Vinery through Dave's Garden; I was searching for Clematis "Gillian Blades." SSV did not have it in stock, but I was so impressed by the reviews, and SSV's beautifully detailed web site, that I took a chance and ordered four other plants: Etoile Violette, Venosa Violacea, Crystal Fountain and Clair de Lune. The plants arrived exactly when Debbie said they would, with well-developed roots and lush, healthy greenery. Two of them have buds, which should open this week because Debbie packed everything so carefully. A great experience...I will order again.
Positive mocatmom
Driftwood, TX (Zone 8b)
April 18, 2011
Posted on April 2, 2009, updated April 18, 2011
What an amazing experience! The two clems I ordered just arrived and I am overwhelmed with the size and quality of the plants. Debbie took the time to help me with my selections and I greatly appreciated that, but I'm even more impressed with the care and pride she takes in providing the best mail order plants I've ever been lucky enough to receive. I can't wait to order from Debbie with Silver Star Vinery again. Anne in Austin
On April 30th, 2009, mocatmom added the following:

Another fantastic shipment from Silver Star Vinery - Princess Diana and Rhapsody arrived in perfect condition and look ready to grow by leaps and bounds. This really is the Rolls Royce of clematis sources - you will not be disappointed.
On June 4th, 2009, mocatmom added the following:

I just received another shipment from Silver Star Vinery and, as expected, the Rooguchi and John Huxtable varieties are by far the biggest, healthiest clematis I could hope to receive. There simply isn't a better source for clems anywhere than Silver Star.
On April 18th, 2011, mocatmom added the following:

Another stellar order from Silver Star Vinery. You know when you pick up a box that is too heavy to carry one-handed and you know that there are only 2 plants in it, those plants are going to be HEALTHY!

I'm branching out into the C. Montana group and just ordered 2 Wilsonii clems, a Broughton Star and one regular Josephine clem to round out the shipping break. As expected, every plant had a humongous root ball and I am thrilled with each one of them!
Positive punkysmamaw
New Richmond, OH
April 9, 2011
Posted on April 24, 2010, updated April 9, 2011
Posted on July 4, 2009, updated April 24, 2010
Silver Star is without a doubt the best source for clematis I have found. I started out ordering a few this spring and before I knew it I had ordered 30! Before I placed each order I would email Debbie Fischer with questions....she would always graciously respond, quickly I might add, with suggestions and recommendations. The plants are superior in size to any I have ever received and all quickly began to settle in and shoot forth new growth! SSV website is a joy to puruse....I cannot wait until shipping starts again this fall! I have many more to order! Whatever I am looking to order I will always look to SSV first!
On April 24th, 2010, punkysmamaw added the following:

Debbie at SSV out did herself again! I ended up ordering 38 last year and 24 this year so far from SSV. ALL of the ones I planted last year are thriving and strong, but I must say a DOZEN or so in particular look as if they had been in the ground for YEARS and I am not exaggerating. I am thrilled! This year's order is equally impressive. I have total confidence in Debbie, as I know she is genuine and the information she gives is from her own personal experience. In addition, she not only knows her stuff but her clems are superior by far to ANY others that I have ordered. Needless to say, those "others" were from early last year before SSV became my sole provider! I will always look to SSV first!

Nancy
On April 9th, 2011, punkysmamaw added the following:

Just received another awesome order from Debbie at SSV! I knew to expect large roots with multiple stems, but this order was even more impressive than I remember. Debbie never fails to amaze me with her plants and friendly, helpful and timely communication. ALL of my first purchases from SSV in 2009 are now huge with many having dozens of stems. Even I have a hard time believing they have only been in the ground for 2 full years! I am amazed as more stems are emerging on the 2009 and 2010 purchases daily,while many 2010 spring planted plants have also tripled in size. The show will be stunning this year and I owe it all to Silver Star! Thank you Debbie! Nancy
Positive 461gardener
San Francisco, CA
April 2, 2011
First-rate plants and top-notch customer service. I ordered 10 plants from Debbie. They were packed well, and arrived in great shape. The root systems were humongous - some measuring up to 14 inches in diameter.
Debbie responded to my questions in a timely manner, and was very helpful with recommendations based upon my planting sites.
I'm running out of room, so I'm switching to containers so I can order more.
Positive Loricp
Crown Point, IN
June 11, 2010
I ordered two clematis on Sunday and decided to order two more on Monday.
The four clematis were shipped that same day and they arrived two days later.
I was very pleased with how fast my order was handled and even more pleased with the quality of the plants. Very healthy roots and foliage. I would not hesitate to order from Silver Star Vinery again.
Positive sweet_rachel
Salt Lake City, UT
May 21, 2010
I just recieved two Twilight Clematis. They came in great condition. Debbie sent plenty of useful information, with even more being available on her site. I will never order Clematis from anyone else again!
Positive lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN (Zone 6b)
May 16, 2010
Not only does Debbie send great plants but she give wonderful and concise advice when she asked. I am a newcomer to the world of clematis and she was an invaluable source of info. And the plants had wonderful roots and foliage, and are doing superbly! You can't go wrong here.
Positive sdube60
Charlton, MA
May 12, 2010
Beautiful, lush clematis from a very knowledgeable grower. The plants arrived in perfect condition with large healthy root systems and healthy top growth. Detailed instructions were included and all e-mail inquiries were answered quickly and courteously. I would definitely recommend Debbie to others. Her plants and service are outstanding.
Positive kinderthym
Rotonda West, FL
May 7, 2010
Let me say that my experience with Debbie at Silver Star Vinery was excellent. I am not always fond of ordering mail order plants for obvious reasons. Debbie responded immediately, gave me kid glove , personalized treatment and the amazing varieties were sent in a timely manner! The plants arrived in great shape and were vigorous vines for my sister's birthday. Her site is a beautiful gallery of some very neat clematis vines! I would order from her again!
Negative PullmanGardener
Pullman, WA
May 6, 2010
Silver Star Vinery offered large plants in gallon sizes. I ordered two Clematis and one came with about a 3" diameter root ball and the other appeared to be bare root with some loose potting soil wrapped around it. They did not even come close to being the size promised.
Positive Indie
Medway, MA (Zone 6a)
May 1, 2010
I ordered 2 clematis through this company. I wasn't as impressed with the packaging, as one clematis had lots of bent/broken foliage and fell apart in my hand when I tried to unwrap it out of the newspaper. However all was forgiven when I realized that it had probably been sort of mashed by the GODZILLA sized root ball of the other clematis shipped with it. Both plants are showing new growth already and looking really healthy after planting in my garden.
Positive nymegen
Auburn, NH (Zone 5a)
April 29, 2010
Absolutely creme de la creme,largest roots systems on clematis I have ever seen coming through the mail
Wonderful mature plants.Do not hesitate to purchase from this company
Positive organic_kitten
West Blocton, AL
April 28, 2010
The plants are so beautiful: Large root systems and multiple vines. I will buy from her again