The scoop on 'Morgan County Seeds'

Morgan County Seeds

18761 Kelsay Road
Barnett, Missouri 65011-3009 (United States)

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Positive coonhound62301
Palmyra, MO
June 26, 2014
Posted on March 5, 2014, updated June 26, 2014
I'm at a loss for words. I made my internet order with Morgan County seeds a mere 4 days ago. 2 days ago I received an email from Errol telling me my seeds had been shipped. This morning the mailman showed up on my doorstep with the box of seeds. It should be noted that MCS is based in MO and I also live in MO. Regardless, I've enjoyed fast shipping before but this was just screamin fast.

The day after I placed my order I also received an email from Errol letting me know what the shipping cost was. Initially I was hesitant to order with a company and then just let them charge me whatever they wanted for shipping. Since my order was relatively low in price however I decided to roll the dice and see what happened. That email from Errol stated my shipping cost was $6.16. Imagine my surprise when I received the box and up in the corner the shipping price had been printed.....$6.16. Cant get much more exact and cheaper than that.

I hurriedly opened the box to see that they had packed the packages of seeds in packing peanuts. I dont know how seeds could get damaged in transit and thought this a wonderfully nice overkill. I've ordered from alot of other companies in the past. Not a single one ever packed my seeds in packing peanuts. A printout of my order was in the box with the seeds. In the corner of that printout was a receipt stapled to the page. And I dont mean a photocopied receipt, I mean the ACTUAL receipt as it was printed at their register. Wow!

I was immediately impressed with the bulk size of their seeds. I could tell that my pound of sweet corn was indeed a pound or close. In fact I bought 2 pounds. I've got a postal certified scales in my home. One pound of sweet corn seed weighed 1lb .04oz. The other weighed 1lb .05oz. My cantaloupe seed advertised 25 seeds....the packet contained 27. My bean seed advertised 500 seeds and contained 477. I was a little taken aback by that but weighed the package anyway. The advertised weight was 153 grams and mine weighed 155 grams. I have no problem with being short 23 seeds given the price and service...especially since the weight was accurate as advertised.

Overall, I'm extremely impressed with this company. The prices, especially the prices on sweet corn, can not be beat. Most other companies aren't even close. Their service, communication, shipping and handling time, and product was/is all top notch. I will, without question, order from them again. In fact that may have been their only mistake. Now I will be giving them alot more work to do!
On June 26th, 2014, coonhound62301 added the following:

Everything I typed in the previous review still is correct. However I've had awful bad trouble with germination with their seeds. I've planted their bean seed 4 different times in a 50ft row and haven't gotten more than 6-8 seeds to sprout any of the times. I just planted their corn seed today. We'll see how that goes. At this point though I'm not real impressed with their germination rates. Cheaper seeds lose their value quickly when you have to plant so many times.
Positive mgsid
Sumner, MO (Zone 5b)
February 19, 2014
I first ordered vegetable seeds from Morgan County Seeds in 2013. The seeds arrived quickly and germination was good. A summer squash seed was on back order, but I received them at least 45 days before I planned to plant. The prices are very reasonable, particularly if I need larger quantities. For example, a pound of Kentucky Wonder 125 BUSH beans is $2.90 as compared to $10.50 from Park Seed. Oregon Sugar Pod II snow peas are $2.50 a pound.

Their 2014 catalog is 120+ pages and has just about everything a home gardener or a commercial grower would need.
Positive thaawtsom
Bella Vista, AR
February 26, 2013
Their seeds and plants have always been a good value. I am about to place this year's order from them. They don't have the glitzy catalog like most. But, you aren't paying for that, either.
Positive AZPHATMAN
Mesa, AZ
January 12, 2012
Morgan County Seeds is fast becoming one of my favorite seed companies for my vegetable garden. Prices are lower than I have found anywhere else and their germination rates are good. On top of that they put more seeds in their packs than many of the other seed companies I have purchased from. No seed company has everything I'm looking for but with their great prices and fast and cheap shipping Morgan County Seeds is one of the companies I turn to first. A+++
Positive MinnesotaMike
Saint Paul, MN
January 6, 2012
This is the first time I have ordered seeds from Morgan Cty. The seeds arrived within a week of my early Jan. order. One item was backordered, but Errol sent an email that the item will be shipped as soon as they get it in and at no additional shipping charge. The turnaround time surprised me because they warn you on their web site that it will probably take 2 to 3 weeks to get your order this time of year. What they charged me for shipping was very low. If the germination rates are as good as the service, I'll be back.
Positive jpro4058
Cave, MO
December 19, 2011
This is an outstanding company to deal with. They have the best prices on just about everything they sell, and they will give honest answers to your questions. What more can you ask for when you do business with any company.
Jim Prouhet
Shared Bounty CSA
Positive tomcampbell
Saint Louis, MO
April 7, 2011
as promised, seeds took three weeks to the day to arrive.
very inexpensive. so far appears to be quality seed.
very responsive by email.
Positive marcop
Plover, WI
January 15, 2011
If this is not the best seed company in the marketplace, I have not dealt with a better one! You receive great seeds at low prices and the customer service is outstanding. A friendly company with which to do business; they are very prompt in answering e-mails and my seeds arrived in a few days after I placed the order. You will not see complaints about their seeds or their service. This company has a terrific reputation--well deserved.
Positive gillj
Edmonton, KY
February 15, 2010
In my opinion, this company is first-rate in terms of selection, price, service, and quality. As I have done in the past, I ordered the majority of my garden seeds for this year from them. The order for 45 seedpacks was placed on January 12, 2010. I received the order 10 days later. Only 3 of the 45 items were backordered. I will definitly continue to use them.
Positive GUIDEIV
Gravois Mills, MO
March 27, 2006
Today was the first I have gone to Morgan County Seed and it was great.It reminded me of when I was a kid growing up on our family farm.I never thought I could find everything I wanted at one place but I did and for less than I thought. They even had items such as Moon And Stars watermelons to Heirloom Tomatoes.The people were all friendly (as you would expect in the country ) and helpful. The bottom line is I will be a customer for life. If you havent tried them yet you should,you wont regret it, you'll wonder what took you so long.
Steve Hollaway