The scoop on 'Selected Plants.com (Selectedplants.com)'

Selected Plants.com (Selectedplants.com)

368 Chestnut Circle
Hamilton, Alabama 35570 (United States)

Comments:

Positive bleepy
West Islip, NY
May 27, 2011
Daryll is sooo eager to make you happy. Maybe he sould be called Daryll Tomato Seed as he makes you want to try every tomato you've never heard of. I was disapointed in the size and thought the plants were "leggy" but he explained that he will often trim the lower leaves to get people to plant them deeper, as they should. I had a problem with the plants in one of the boxes but one cannot fault his packaging. I ordered 11 plants and the shipping was hefty but it was evident that what he charged me was what it cost to get it to me. He is sending replacements and then some. It's refreshing to deal with someone who does the right thing!
Negative terra179
Montclair, NJ
April 18, 2010
In April of last year I ordered quite a few tomato transplants; we'd had a very cold, wet spring and I'd lost some indoor plants I'd started and a local place did not have some varieties I liked. So I thought I'd try a new place. While the owner was very personable during our initial conversations, after 3 weeks of waiting for the transplants, there was almost no feedback and he was hard to reach.The order was promised for 2 weeks: I didn't receive plants till almost June. Half the order was leggy or stilted, at least two plants were dead. Even so, I hesitated to write a negative review, preferring to try my luck and see how the rest of the plants produced. ( I have quite few years of experience growing heirloom tomatoes.) Well, unfortunately, there wasn't nearly enough time for the remaining small plants to produce well. No offer from the owner to reimburse me or address this issue. This is my 1st negative review.
Negative magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
May 22, 2009
The plants I received are very small. I also took delivery of them later than I'd requested, with no email notice from the shipper. One plant came loose during shipment, and so it was wilted when I got it.
On May 22nd, 2009, magnaastra added the following:

Forgot to mention that one-fourth of my order was made up with substituted plants. I placed the original order in early March.
Positive trying2gro
Sulligent, AL
May 8, 2009
I am blessed to live about 40 miles from Darrel Jones and was able to pick up plants in person. He was extremely busy the day I visited, but he was nice and informative, giving me advice on some heirloom tomato varieties that I had chosen. Since we live in the same zone, he had first hand knowledge of varieties that probably not work well for my garden and/or for my experience level (total newbie to heirloom tomatoes).

I saw his plants in person; although a variety of sizes, they appeared healthy and happy. He had tons of plants. I watched him and his three person packing crew hoofing it to pack and ship plants. He does appear to do his very best to get healthy plants to the customer, but one never knows which boxes the postal employees will choose to use for football practice.

I was thrilled with his help and the plants I got from him (including some he gave me at no charge). I have no reservations about getting plants from him again. I send heartfelt "Thanks!!!" to Mr Jones & his crew.

In short, Mom and I have come to the conclusion to simply make our "wish list" for 2010 spring planting season and just send it to Darrel with a request to email me when the plants are ready for pickup. Some of his plants may not be giants like those commercially sold all over the place, but since his plants aren't loaded with growth hormones, they are actually a better bet for the money and will ultimately produce better in the long run. Bigger is not always better.

BTW, I personally had better luck contacting him through email as during the height of packing plants he does not always have the time to answer the phone. He was very quick to answer my emails -- all within a day.
Neutral wheelchairtomat
Agawam, MA (Zone 5b)
October 29, 2008
owner very nice,but 25% of the plants were very small or sickly[mostly very small] very good packing. i left phone and email message no answer.
Positive deltaqueen
Holly Springs, AR (Zone 7b)
June 16, 2007
I explained my newness to tomato growing to the owner. He helped me to pick heirloom tomatoes to my zone, yard and experience. I must note I had to stay on him to keep up with the agreed to delivery date - and they did indeed arrive late, but this isn't a deal breaker. I ordered 8 heirloom tomatoes, they arrived small due to Easter freeze, but all plants growing like gangbusters. Will definately do bz again.
Positive LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT (Zone 4b)
May 23, 2007
I ordered 3 plants and received a free Red Brandywine. The tomatoes arrived in great condition. Good packaging. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Positive staceyotk
Narberth, PA
June 9, 2006
I placed a large order with Selected Plants in April. The plants arrived promptly and packaged perfectly. I don't think there was a speck of soil outside the containers. I did have a problem with a couple of the plants looking a bit sickly. I spoke with the owner who was very concerned and immediately sent replacement plants. He believes the delivery people left the box out in the sun too long. Needless to say, I am very impressed with the customer service and professionalism of this company and will be placing an order with them next year as well.