The scoop on 'Southern Bulb Company'

Southern Bulb Company

Golden, Texas 75444-0350 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on October 27, 2006:
Please let us know how we can be of service!

We grow all of our bulbs ourself at our farm in Texas. These are 'tried and true' rare and heirloom bulbs.

They will multiply in number every year and come back with bigger and more plentiful blooms!

Comments:

Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
September 11, 2012
Ordered some Rhodophiala bifida (Oxblood Lily) bulbs. They arrived quickly and were well packaged and very nice bulbs. Will order again from this company. Great communication, too.
Positive alyceweberschmi
Richardson, TX (Zone 8a)
June 14, 2011
I ordered 9 bulbs and was thrilled with the quality of their bulbs. They have hard to find heirloom bulbs for Texas. I will order from them again. The were out of the Tiger Lily. They are very proactive and professional in their business. Delivery was fast. Customer service is great.
Positive 7B_8A
Fayetteville, GA
April 14, 2011
Ordered some Rhodophiala bifida from this company. Bulbs still had some of the green foilage from the growing season so it doesn't get much fresher than that. All bulbs were healthy and prices for these bulbs were cheaper than I've seen elsewhere. Shipping was prompt and reasonably priced.
Positive beckinbrooks
Brooks, ME
October 20, 2010
I have not received bulbs yet, but I experienced very good customer service regarding a gift order I placed. The company called to let me know that an order I had placed (to be shipped later in the year) might not work well, and suggested a couple of alternative solutions.
Positive SowthEfrikan
Sulphur Springs, TX
December 2, 2009
Last year I placed an order with Southern Bulb Company for daffs and tulips. The daffs performed beautifully, but the Texas Tulips failed. I received an unsolicited email from the company asking how the bulbs had performed, so responded with the Texas Tulips failure. They said they would send replacements and that it might take several months, and I didn't hear from them again. I forgot all about it. This morning a surprise package arrived from Southern Bulb Company. It contained replacement Texas Tulips bulbs, and numerous bulbs of five other varieties, all beautifully packaged. I'm so delighted with their service. There was a note saying that they have trouble with gophers destroying their stock, so this kindness is exceptional. I can't recommend Southern Bulbs Company highly enough and will be planting just as soon as the rain stops.
Neutral phdbot1
Gainesville, GA
November 5, 2009
I ordered some bulbs early this year from Southern Bulb. The main reason I ordered early, was that some bulbs (Lycoris) needed to be planted in late summer for fall bloom and because they put on foliage early in the fall. I ordered some narcissus at the same time for fall delivery. Time passed and I began to panic about the Lycoris. Upon contacting the company, I found that they had lost the order or some other excuse. In any event, the Lycoris finally came in June or July and I got the bulbs planted. They subsequently bloomed and now have leaves (Nov. 2009).

October passed and I had not received my fall bulb part of the order from them. So again, I contacted them. They emailed me and indicated they were "investigating" the matter. One day early in November, they called and said they could find no record of the order. Of course, I had saved my receipt at the time I ordered the bulbs, so there was certainly a record on my end! The fellow I talked to, asked if I still wanted to order. I said "No, it's too late here."

The long and short of it is that I doubt I'll ever deal with this outfit again! The bulbs I received were of good quality and have performed, but their business operation appears to be slack. They seem to lay orders about and lose them. I ordered fall bulbs from several other companies and got the bulbs within days of my orders! Caveat emptor for Southern Bulb!
Company representative comment on November 16, 2009:
On Nov 10, 2009 6:12 PM, Southern Bulb Company responded with:

We are glad to have another customer pleased with the quality of our bulbs and their high performance! Southern Bulbs strives to preserve and provide the highest quality heirloom bulbs. We also make it our aim to provide excellent customer service just as the comment supports our correspondence by both email and phone with the customer. We have bulbs, and we offered to place an order to get the desired bulbs shipped as soon as possible, although we had no record of the stated order bulbs in our system. The customer offered no information of order number, order date, or order receipt.

To extend our desire to meet and exceed customer expectations, we offer a free gift certificate to this person. Please call us toll free at 888-285-2486, or email southernbulbs@gmail.com and we would be happy to serve you this way. We do have bulbs, and we desire to provide this customer with another good experience with our bulbs.

We have been working very hard over the past two months to upgrade our ordering and shipping system! We have streamlined this process, and are pleased to announce that we are nearing a same day turn around . A reputable Dallas warehouse service has jumped on board with Southern Bulbs to make this happen. Southern Bulbs is committed to preserving and providing high quality and performance heirloom bulbs in the best way possible for every customer. The above customer offer, and advancement of our purchase and shipping system, is evidence of this commitment.

Positive BrindaS
Tyler, TX (Zone 8a)
June 8, 2009
On April 24, 2009, I ordered three 4 inch pots of Prairie Sunset rainlilies, $11.00 per pot. They were advertised as 3 bulbs per pot, but all three were bursting open with 15-18 bulbs! I had the first bloom yesterday - beautiful! The bulbs arrived less than a week after ordering, in great condition.
Positive naked_otter
Tampa, FL
October 5, 2007
First, I love that I can buy bulbs that will grow and flourish in the heat and humidity of Florida. SouthernBulb deserves kudos just for addressing this overlooked niche of plantdom.

Second, their bulbs arrived on time for planting and were nice plump, well developed, mature bulbs. They have already had spectacular blooms, especially the red spider lillies.

Third, the customer service is clearly based on the idea of exceeding expectations. I, too, received a couple of extra bulbs in my order; and the folks running the company and filling the orders are so very helpful and personable, I felt like they were old friends.

Highly recommend!

otter, Tampa, FL
Positive JonSchneider
Fleming Island, FL (Zone 9b)
May 10, 2007
great service and excellent products... they even threw in a few extra bulbs
Positive Debndal
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
April 2, 2007
I have placed 3 orders with Southern Bulb. Most of the bulbs I purchased bloomed their first season, which was a surprise as I expected to have to wait a year to see results. The bulbs are packaged nicely, and I received an email for each shipment to let me know when to expect it. I have emailed the company a few of times with questions and have always gotten a personal reply to my questions with complete answers. I am so impressed with the quality of the product and the quality of customer service from these young folks. I recommend them highly.
Positive kokomo123
Willis, TX (Zone 8b)
February 1, 2007
My experiences with Southern Bulb have been excellent. I started by reading about the company and following the company through the Internet, newspapers and magazines. I even emailed the company directly and was so pleased with the knowledgeable, friendly response I received. They truly seem to be interested in quality heirloom bulbs. I am also pleased they are so interested in preserving southern bulbs. Last Fall, I purchased some of their bulbs and they are performing beautifully. They appeared to be of remarkable quality and are already showing. I cannot wait to see the blooms and how they multiply. I have told everyone I know they should try Southern Bulbs and how to reach them. I am positive you will not be disappointed.
Positive LarkaK
San Antonio, TX
January 3, 2007
Received my Fall Order (my first) right on time...uniform, healthy bulbs, well-packaged...was pleasantly surprised by the bulb stories on the packaging. Made my second order about a week before Christmas...set to ship in February...will definitely be ordering more!
Positive dmj1218
west Houston, TX (Zone 9a)
August 29, 2006
I recently recieved a fall bulb order from this company. The shipping methods were excellent and the bulbs appear to be of excellent quality. I would reorder from this company in the future.
Positive Mark_TxAG
San Antonio, TX
August 16, 2006
This was my first order and I am very impressed. My bulbs are all large and healthy and the order was complete and there was even a little something extra! I love the packaging with the story of the bulb history on it. Great first impression. Was my first order but you can be sure it won't be my last!
Positive ItsMeMisT
San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b)
May 31, 2006
Finally a company with quality heirloom bulbs just for southern gardeners! I couldn't be happier with my order.