The scoop on 'Westbourne Daylilies'

Westbourne Daylilies

5144 South Highway 25
LaFollette, Tennessee 37766 (United States)

Comments:

Positive TammyY
Knoxville, TN
May 20, 2014
AMAZINGLY big daylilies sent, even after our unusually cold winter. I was extremely pleased with the size and health of their plants. They also sent a new intro as a bonus selection. Very happy with my order :)
Positive nanny_56
Putnam County, IN (Zone 5b)
April 21, 2011
Posted on April 30, 2010, updated April 21, 2011
This is my second year to buy daylilies from Mary Jane on the Lily Auction. She sends large, healthy plants with great roots. She is very easy to communicate with and anxious to please her customers. I highly recommend buying from Westbourne Daylilies
On April 21st, 2011, nanny_56 added the following:

Just received my order for 2011 and they are great looking!
Positive keelybird57
Aurora, IL
September 10, 2009
I purchased seedlings this year. I was amazed at the size of seedlings! Very healthy plants! Westbourne daylilies are top-notch!
Positive DitchLily206
Madison, AL (Zone 7b)
October 20, 2008
I ordered some Westbourne seedlings in late August and was very happy when they arrived. The plants were in excellent condition when I unpacked them. I had never ordered seedings before and did not know what to expect. What I received were flowering sized plants, all either DF or TF,and one TF also had a small increase off the side that did not quite qualify as another fan. Over all I am/was very happy with my order. So much so, that I currently have 13 Westbourne plants scheduled to arrive in the spring. I fully expect to be able to give a positive review then as well.
On October 20th, 2008, DitchLily206 added the following:

I should have gone out and checked, and not relied on memory. They were not DF and TF, they were all at least TF and QF(or are they called clumps at that point).
Positive floweringchild
Jamestown, KY (Zone 6a)
October 19, 2008
I have bid on daylilies several times from Westbourne Daylilies. I have received nice, healthy plants each time with great bonuses. Mary Jane is tops when it comes to her customer service. She goes out of her way to make sure her customers are completely satisfied. I also visited her place and came away with all kinds of extras. I can't say enough about how exceptional she and her daylilies are!!!
Judy
Negative eickenho
Sugar Land, TX (Zone 9a)
October 18, 2008
After reading such wonderful reviews of Westbourne daylilies and Mary Jane Meadows’ plants and bonus plants on this forum, I decided to purchase some Westbourne daylilies. So, on October 4, I wrote Ms. Meadows the following e-mail: “Ms. Meadows, Do you have Westbourne Whistling Teapot, Westbourne Yodeling from a Treetop and Westbourne Harvest Moon available? If so, can you ship them now? Thanks for your help. Regards, Marilyn”

Ms. Meadows immediately responded by saying: “Hi Marilyn, Yes, I do have them all Three. But let me know soon. And I will ship them now, if you can send a money order so I don't have to wait for the check to clear. Its getting down in the 30's at night here. Thanks ,Mary Jane” I followed up with this next e-mail: “Hello Mary Jane, Thanks for getting back with me so quickly. I am relatively new to daylilies, and have read wonderful comments about your daylilies on GardenWeb forum and Dave's Gardens. Are Whistling Teapot, Yodeling from the Treetop and Harvest Moon as pretty as the pictures show? Do you by chance have Sweet Potato Pie available? Do you think they will perform well in Houston, Texas (hot weather)? Thanks for your help. Regards, Marilyn” After a few more friendly e-mails, with Ms. Meadows giving me the descriptions and sizes available (double fans for Whistling Teapot and Yodeling from the Treetop, and a single fan for Click and Wheels), I mailed Ms. Meadows a cashier’s check for $221.00 on October 6. I received the daylilies yesterday, October 17. The daylilies Ms. Meadows sent me are PATHETIC. As such, I wrote her immediately as follows: “Mary Jane, The daylilies arrived today. While I hesitate to write this, I feel I must. I am very disappointed in the size of the plants, and even more disappointed in the bonus plant (a single $28 daylily [or $19 daylily based on the Lily Auction] on an order totaling $211 before shipping. I ordered from you because of the wonderful and glowing reviews you received on both the GardenWeb and Dave's Garden forums. On both forums, the size of your plants, as well as your generosity in gift plants was repeatedly discussed. That is why I ordered from you. Yet, your daylilies are probably the smallest I have ever received, and a single gift plant equating to 13 percent of my order is certainly not generous (in fact, it is considerably less than the gift value of every other order I have ever placed). I don't know how you wish to proceed, but I am not happy or pleased. Marilyn”

Ms.Meadows responded with: “They had just been lined out and thats why I was through with shipping for this year, but you kept insisting on me shipping them now. I did not say what size they would be and you did not specsifie what size you won'ted and I don't intend to do anything. Mary Jane”

It is incredible and so disappointing to me that Ms. Meadows knew and now admits she sent me inferior plants, yet she intends to do nothing about it. You can see from the copied e-mails that her last e-mail in a lie. If she didn’t feel her plants were the quality to ship, then she should have said so, and I would have declined the purchase. (In fact, yesterday, I made an inquiry to Chattanooga Daylilies about a particular daylily, and Mr. Pickles said it had just been lined out and was too distressed to send now.). Why didn’t Ms. Meadows exhibit the same ethics as Mr. Pickles? There is nothing in any of Ms. Meadows’ e-mails that she “was through with shipping for this year.” Rather, she tells me the plants are available, and to send her a money order so she can send the plants out quickly. And to say we didn’t discuss size, can the woman not read her own writing? Double fans and large single fans are just that. Why would she think anyone would accept something small and inferior? It is even more ironic to me that on the same day that I received these pitiful, inferior daylilies from Ms. Meadows, that I receive the most robust and large daylilies from Blueridge Daylilies located in North Carolina.

Since I began purchasing daylilies in May, I have met wonderful daylily growers (Jack Carpenter, Tee Money, John and Faye Shooter, Paul Owen, Bob Selman, Curt Hanson and others ), and I have received fantastic and robust plants from these sellers. Never before have I encountered such an unethical, lying and unscrupulous grower and seller as Mary Jane Meadows.

Marilyn

Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
May 11, 2007
My order got lost in the mail so Mary Jane sent me 3 fans of the intro I had ordered plus another new intro because she was concerned that she had "put me out". She's a great lady and the plants were in perfect condition marked with copper tags. I'm VERY happy. You will get totally personalized service here and very nice plants.
Positive sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN (Zone 4a)
May 4, 2007
I have ordered plants from Mary Jane for the past two years. This lady sends fabulous plants! Large, freshly dug, green beauties with wonderful root systems. She only sells her own introductions, most of which are very different from any other intros out there. If you are looking for green throats, this is the place to go. She seems to have "cornered the market" on this particular feature, as well as nice branching with high bud counts. Though most of her intros are semi-evergreen, thus far, they have done very well in my zone 4 garden. Order with confidence.
On October 20th, 2008, sybiltwo added the following:

I have continued to order from Mary Jane every year since I first added Westbourne Daylilies to the Watchdog. She has always sent fine, large plants. She further, stands behind them and, for me, has willingly replaced any item that did not thrive in my garden (This, despite my living in frigid zone 4) I will continue to buy from her as well as recommend her to others.