The scoop on 'Bloomingbulb.com'

Bloomingbulb.com

Bloomingbulb.com has 1163 products listed in PlantScout.

3120 State St.
Medford, Oregon 97504 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-648-2852
Fax: 1-800-419-8813
Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Company Comment, posted on May 30, 2006:
BloomingBulb.com was formed to market top quality flower bulbs, perennial plants and other horticultural products exclusively over the internet, at the most economical prices for the consumer. As we have a long history in the plant industry, both importing and exporting plant products, we're able to offer a wide variety of plant material from growers throughout the U.S. and The Netherlands.

In order to keep our marketing/advertising costs to a minimum we do not print or mail catalogs, instead we constantly update our web site by adding new items when they become available or deleting items as they are sold out, thereby keeping our offerings current. We also encourage our customers to order on line as this saves them money ($10.00 per order) and saves us time by not having to re-enter orders manually. All of this helps us to be more efficient and, by being so, enables us to pass savings on to you in the form of lower prices.

Our product, in most cases, is shipped directly from our sister company in Michigan which specializes in the handling of perennial plants & bulbs. This affords us the ability to monitor and maintain the quality of the material we offer and, in turn, to back everything we offer with a 100% guarantee.

We also have the ability to ship internationally, but because of the special agriculture inspections and shipping costs associated with shipping internationally, it is very difficult to remain price competitive with smaller orders. However, we can be very competitive with larger quantity requirements, so please contact us for special price quotes on your needs.

The staff at BloomingBulb.com wish you an enjoyable and economical gardening experience. Please let us know if we can be of help.

Happy Gardening!

The staff at BloomingBulb.com

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral love4garden
Springfield, VA
November 28, 2014
I ordered lots of bulbs from BloomingBulb.com on 11/14/14 and received them about 5 days later. Most of the bulbs are healthy and good sized. I got 4 mix daffodils and there're several small bulbs in the mix. I assume they are different varieties.
I emailed them on 11/23/14 to let them know that overall I am happy but there're bulbs that were bad. I still haven't heard from them. This is what I emailed them:

"Hi, thank you so much for good quality bulbs. I got very excited when I see the box from bloomingbulb.com. This is the first time I ordered from you but from now, I know where to buy my bulbs. I can't wait until the Spring to see the result.
However, there are few bulbs that are mushy, moldy with smell as if they are rotten. Some are dried up and very light.
1 Tahiti daffodil: mushy, moldy
1 Flower drift daffodil- mushy and moldy

I got 2 bags of Minnow Tazetta daffodil:
3 bulbs of Minnow Tazetta daffodil - very small compared to other bulbs in the bag and very light, dried up.
2 bulbs of Minnow Tazetta daffodil in the other bag are mushy, and moldy.

Please see what you can do. Thank you for your help."

I am going to leave my experience as neutral at this time because I haven't got any response from them after 5 days. Hopefully, I will heard from them soon.
Neutral MaryArneson
Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4b)
July 25, 2014
I ordered a lot of spring bulbs for 2014. The prices were attractive. The bulbs arrived before we could safely plant them, due to the unusually long winter, so some of the losses may have been due to that. Several packages of small bulbs appeared to be mislabeled, since some of multiple packages contained bulbs that looked very different from others with the same label - - but resembled bulbs in other packets. Of several small bulb types (crocosmia and such), some failed to come up at all, and others haven't bloomed yet or have produced only puny blossoms. On the other hand, we are getting a good display of Tigridia. We ordered about 30 cascading orange begonias, which are blooming - - but in a much wider variety of colors and forms than I would have expected. Some are a rich red-orange and fully double, while others are pale orange and single, with others in between. It looks a little odd in the window boxes. The other things we bought we callas and gladiolus. The glads aren't blooming yet, but the callas have been blooming beautifully. I would probably order again, but only for Tigridia or callas.
Positive Pdeuel
Custar, OH
July 1, 2014
Posted on April 19, 2014, updated July 1, 2014
Searched for a long time to find a double delight rose to plant in a new garden i started as tribute to my mother after she passed away. Her favorite rose was killed when a utility worker dug it up. We tried forever to find it locally with no success and I finally decided mail order was my only choice. Spent a lot of time checking reviews and went with bloomingbulb because the only other company that had better reviews was sold out of them. The price was good and they were packaged well, but i was so terribly dissapointed to open the box to find the two bare root roses covered in young leaves! Of course the only information I could find about bare root roses that were leafing out was DON'T BUY THEM! Followed all the planting instructions and pruned them back (could only guess if this would help). One is rebounding ok but the other is struggling and I fear it will not survive. This was exactly why I have avoided mail ordering plants and I will avoid it whenever possible in the future. I have grown hybrid teas, climbers and shrub roses for years, always bought locally in pots and haven' t lost one yet.
On July 1st, 2014, Pdeuel changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I gave both roses a little trim and some tlc and happily both of them recovered just fine. The bushes were healthy enough when they arrived to endure the extra stress just fine and I am happy to see them both blooming like crazy. Bloomingbulb offered to replace/refund my purchase shortly after my post. I declined the offer as the roses were showing slow signs of improvement. I probably would not have been so upset if I had been able to find information on what to do with them after they arrived with leaves on them. I am very happy with them now and would order from them again.
Company representative comment on April 29, 2014:
On Apr 29, 2014 8:09 AM, Bloomingbulb.com responded with:

Hi Pdeuel,

I'm sorry to hear about the state of your rose. We don't ship roses when they are leafing out but it sounds like this one got past us.I haven't been able to reach you by D-Mail but please contact us so we can resolve your issue. We guarantee all our plants so we can either replace the rose or give you a store credit or a refund.

Sincerely,
Scott Squire & the staff at BloomingBulb
scott@bloomingbulb.com
1-800-348-2852

Positive iykim
Hillsborough, CA (Zone 10a)
April 3, 2014
I have been ordering from BloomingBulb.com for several years now, mostly bulbs/corms. I have been very pleased with their quality as they always perform. Daffodils, especially the fall-preview sale, are great, and I love the discounts on multiple packs. Colchicum is fabulous, especially for the lowest price they charge.

However, sometimes the bulbs arrive soft/mushy or the bulbs end up not quite being the cultivar that I had ordered. When I contact the vendor, Scott Squire always responds with replacements or on the wait list for replacements for the following year (when he is out of stock or the shipping season has passed). Currently, I am waiting for replacement Colchicum bulbs because the ones that sprouted were singles instead of doubles (which are much higher in price). They have a great selection of bulbs. I will keep on ordering from BloomingBulb.

However, I would not vouch for bareroot strawberry plants. They failed to perform, even with the replacement roots. I would only stick with the bulbs. Their tuberous begonias are also fabulous.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
November 22, 2013
Posted on October 13, 2013, updated November 23, 2013
I had a very nice experience with this company. I was pleased with the website and communication. The shipping was on time and my box was packaged nicely. The bulbs look fresh and big so I am looking forward to some beautiful apricot daffodils and pink oriental lilies.
I would not hesitate to buy more bulbs from this company and I will recommend them to everyone.
On November 22nd, 2013, virginiarose added the following:

I put in two more split orders, part fall part spring shipping. I already got hostas and tulips and more daffodils.
The fall sale is fabulous! 50-80% off!! So many great prices I can't stop shopping. My last two orders were as wonderful as the first and they gave me a come back coupon for 15%.
I will follow up in the spring when I get the rest and again when things start blooming. :)
Positive backyardgrowing
Littlerock, CA
July 10, 2013
Ordered three knockout roses. however, their claim is that they use "jumbo" quart size pot. That is false. The three knockout roses arrived healthy. they arrive at different heights at about (7,12, and 16 inches). the reason i bought from them was because their prices were one of the cheapest i could find. For the exception of one the plants, the rest were of adequate size.
Overall, all three varieties are thriving and giving continuous blooms (over 50 in two months). I would recommend them if you don't mind receiving some smaller plants.
Positive mscatlady
Saucier, MS
June 8, 2013
I found Dave's Garden review while checking on services of other well known companies that send me their catalogs. I am tired of wasting my money on poor service and bad plants and blubs. I came across BloomingBlub.com and saw that they had a lot of good reviews and they do internet orders only, no catalogs. I like that, I hate the waste of all that paper and they can keep their supply of products updated so I would when they were out of something. Well, the items were sent in two shipments with the first one of Fairy lilies and blooming hearts sent in one and a honeysuckle plant sent in the second shipment. The first shipment was very timely and the blooming hearts were in great condition. They even were trying to grow in the bags, I know they won't do much this late in the season but I hope they will be well establish for the coming year and the price was mark down for the end of the season and I only order 2 packages of the fairy lilies and they sent 10! That was nice surprise and I will spread the wealth with fellow gardeners. The honeysuckle vine came a week later and in great shape, it is little small but I realize that the bigger the plant the harder it is to ship and get there in good condition. I am well please with plant, it is green and looks great, not a bit of wilt. I plan to get it in the ground today. Overall I am well please with this company and will continue to do business with them
Positive cobafan
Sturgeon Bay, WI
July 3, 2012
Posted on July 2, 2012, updated July 3, 2012
I ordered from this company because it was listed on Dave's Garden as a source for Karma Sangria dahlias. Out of the six dahlias they sent me at least four are definitely not Karma Sangria. Two are small border dahlias with lavender blooms and burgundy foliage and two are standard sized dahlias with small plain white blooms. The remaining two should bloom shortly. Karma Sangria is a hot yellow-orange semi-cactus form. I am very disappointed.
On July 3rd, 2012, cobafan changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Blooming Bulb responded to my complaint via email in one day and offered a full refund for the mislabeled dahlia bulbs I had received. I am satisfied with their prompt customer service.
Positive Petulia
Flushing, NY
June 27, 2012
I've ordered several times from this company. I get Free shipping because of a club I belong to, and they also give 10% off once you've ordered with them. What I like about them is their reasonable prices and availability of bulbs that are not easy to come by such as Hanging Begonias and Calladium. I've ordered several of each, for $1 per bulb (discounted because it's later in the season) and they are doing beautifully. I also ordered some dahlia, and they seem to be coming up. They give very clear information on their website regarding how to care for different bulbs. I've had no difficulties with shipping and the bulbs are well packaged. They are not quick, but I've never had a mail order company that was.
Positive trackinsand
mid central, FL (Zone 9a)
June 8, 2012
Posted on June 5, 2012, updated June 8, 2012
Posted on June 4, 2012, updated June 5, 2012
i ordered three 'Sunshine Blue' blueberry plants recently. i asked them, in a note on the website, to ship asap due to summer heat upon us already.
i have no problems with the shipping charges, very reasonable in fact. the plants were shipped almost immediately so no problem there either. apparently this company is a broker. they take the orders and then job them out to other growers. BB is in oregon; plants came from a northeastern state. i don't have a problem with that either.
what i do have a problem with is poor packing. the plants were in coir containers and although the ship box was undamaged, the containers were mashed and falling apart. the three plants were bagged into one plastic bag and then tied tightly with a string and put into a box that was way too large unless there is adequate cushioning. wadded newspaper would have been perfect, but no, nothing to stop them from banging around in the box. i have a handful of broken stems and root systems that look tromped on.
i've potted them up the best i can and we'll see but this will be my last order to this company.
it's just too sad to open a box that you've waited for and see this kind of slipshod careless work.

On June 5th, 2012, trackinsand changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

less than 24 hrs. after adding my comment, i received a very nice d-mail from scott, offering to replace my plants or give me a refund.
i explained that the plants were already in pots and the wrapping was disposed of so i left it up to him as to which way he wanted to go.
i just received a ups notice of shipment, the same kind as before. i'm so relieved that i picked a good company to do business with....
i will update when the new plants arrive.
thank you so much, scott.
On June 8th, 2012, trackinsand added the following:

my three replacement plants arrived today in perfect condition. i must say that i was pretty blown away by the outstanding customer service and scott went out of his way to right the wrong.
i'm totally pleased.
thanks again!
Negative trudyh
North Kingstown, RI
May 8, 2012
Posted on May 2, 2012, updated May 8, 2012
Posted on April 30, 2012, updated May 2, 2012
Posted on April 28, 2012, updated April 30, 2012
I ordered carnation plants that were supposed to ship between "03/29/2012 and 04/12/2012." It's April 28th and they aren't here.

I contacted the company about a week ago and they said there was a delay, they'd notified everyone by email (not me), and the plants would ship by the 23th. As I noted, not here yet.

I just emailed and said if they hadn't shipped them yet to please cancel the order and issue a refund. Time will tell what happens.

It is hard to find carnation plants, so this is disappointing. It was my first order with this company.

On April 30th, 2012, trudyh added the following:

Update: This is HORRIBLE. The plants arrived today, and as soon as I opened the package, I saw that the packing material was literally covered with some kind of plant? lice? I had made the mistake of taking it into the house to open, so I rushed it out to the trash can, and hope that none of them got into the house.

It is hard to imagine a worse experience with a company.
On May 2nd, 2012, trudyh added the following:

Update on the update: I received an email from them in response to my review here (not in response to the email I sent them.) The email said:

"What you were seeing in your packaging material is seeded paper, those weren't bugs, they were wildflower seeds put into the paper on purpose. It makes for a very eco-friendly packing material that can be planted in your garden. Hopefully you can still recover the box from your garbage."

I dunno. I am not aware of any seeds that look like they have many legs. In any event, the trash was picked up this morning. It would be interesting to know if other people who have received shipments from them have received this type of material and what they think it is. I do not see any mention on their website of this material.

I see no reason to put seeds on (not in) stiff paper which would be hard to straighten out without knocking off the seeds, when such paper can go into the compost or paper recycling as is and how many people have room for a wildflower meadow.

The late shipping with no notice, the general poor response to email, and this bizarre thing, I am leaving my rating at negative. If other people, who have posted reviews already, update their reviews saying they received this stuff with a note saying it was seeds. I will change my rating to neutral.

On May 8th, 2012, trudyh added the following:

They did issue a refund.
Positive pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY (Zone 7a)
April 8, 2012
Posted on February 10, 2012, updated April 8, 2012
In January 2011 I placed an order for some "jumbo" amaryllis bulbs. They arrived within a few days and bloomed beautifully in 2011 and again this year. Great plants at great prices.

Previous purchases were all excellent with Blooming Bulbs. Everything arrives as they promise and everything grows.

I've never had a problem with this company!
On April 8th, 2012, pirl added the following:

Ordered a begonia collection in January, 2012, and they all look fine. I will update my rating as they bloom.
Positive jaredm
Crossville, TN
March 15, 2012
First time buying from them, yes there were mix ups, its all part of the spring time shuffle people. We used our heads and got everything taken care of in a timely and precise manner, great place to buy bulbs!
Positive STxJimbo
Seguin, TX (Zone 9a)
December 9, 2011
All the items that I ordered were shipped at one time and in a timely manner. The bulbs and plants were received in good condition. I would recommend this company.
Positive MarBorisovna
State College, PA
September 23, 2011
Last year I placed a small order just for two plants (tulips Queen of the Night and daffodils Golden Bells) . They came up well but both were wrong kind.
Instead of black I've got red tulips and instead of yellow daffodils some tiny white.
I wrote them couple weeks ago, next day got an answer and today received the replacement. Bulbs look good.

Positive bazil323
Cameron, WI (Zone 3b)
August 12, 2011
A few years ago, I placed an order for snowdrops, a couple kinds of crocus, and a couple other kinds of fall-planted bulbs that totaled somewhere around 150 bulbs. I had ordered during the Early Order Sale in midsummer, and they did not charge me until they shipped (which was appropriately in September for some and October for the rest). All my bulbs arrived packed very nicely, and none were moldy or soft in anyway, very healthy-looking.

The next spring, I got loads of nice, healthy plants and beautiful blooms. I had even accidentally put an old rocking chair with a pot of morning glories over top of some of my crocus, and even they came up and bloomed! I will definitely order from them again now that I have moved and was unable to transplant any (moved mid winter) and the new people bulldozed that whole bed.
Negative kurango
Los Alamitos, CA
May 31, 2011
Posted on May 31, 2011, updated May 31, 2011
19 days to receive order on sale items is way too long! 13 days before they were even shipped!
On May 31st, 2011, kurango added the following:

If the company is in Medford, Oregon then why are my plants coming from St. Joseph, MI?
Negative billyet
Portland, OR (Zone 8a)
January 16, 2011
I was pleased to find several interesting small fritillaria advertised by Blooming Bulb, and I send in a sizeable (for me) order that also included some daffodills. As it got later and later in the season and my bulbs still hadn't arrived, I phoned them, they said they'd received my order but claimed something was wrong with the credit card info. They hadn't bothered to tell me of any problem. Then they took several days to check and discover that the only bulbs they had left were the daffodills, this really messed up my plans because it was too late now to order from any other place. They never explained why they hadn't let me know of a problem, they just ignored me until it was too late for me to re-order from anyone else. I will never send them another order, I know everyone makes mistakes but usually companies try to correct themselves when this happens. I don't think they care much about their customers; they had all the information they needed to get in touch with me and they didn't even bother to tell me that there was a problem.
Positive jgompper_41005
Burlington, KY
October 19, 2010
Placed my first order with this company on 04/29/2010 for 24 Astilbe - Bonn. Received plants on 05/05/2010, planted all on 05/06/2010 in my new shade garden between Hosta plants. All are doing well. Thanks
Positive kimberliw
Jensen, UT
October 19, 2010
Posted on April 26, 2010, updated October 19, 2010
Posted on November 10, 2009, updated April 26, 2010
I am going to remain neutral at this point. I ordered 25 daisies, and 210 lilies. Bloomingbulb did not charge my card until about a week before they shipped which I thought was great. They did send me an email when they shipped but it went to my junk mail. I'm not sure why,their order confirmation came thru just fine. The daisies were quite moldy when they arrived but I disinfected them and planted them. Half of them showed green before they got froze. The lily bulbs were a little smaller than the ones I purchased from another company but there was very little mold. I planted them all right away. I'm expecting a great show next year. We'll see, I'll try to remember to update my review.
On April 26th, 2010, kimberliw changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I'm changing my rating. I placed a second order of almost 300 tulip bulbs. The daisys from the first order did not make it through winter. The tulips came up and most of them have bloomed, the wrong color and some the wrong type. I called and spoke to them about both. They said tulips could change color depending on the soil. HA! They said they would give me a credit for the daisys. They would email me a code to use during checkout for a credit off a future order. I went to their site and picked some bulbs but the code still hasn't come. I checked the junkmail-not there either. Too bad they have a good selection and decent prices. But if you don't get what you ordered...
On October 19th, 2010, kimberliw changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am very pleased with the efforts Scott made to clear up the problems I had with my orders. I may even order from them again sometime.
Neutral BethanySLP
, WI (Zone 4b)
August 9, 2010
Posted on July 13, 2010, updated August 9, 2010
I felt the website easy to use and clear, shipping was great. They have a very convienient wasy of pricing crocuses, very clear.
However, some of the lily bulbs did not come up. I tried twice to contact the company about their guarantee to have them replaced but haven't received a response. This was my first time ordering from this company, so I was pretty disappointed. The lack of customer service is why I'm rating a negative.
On August 9th, 2010, BethanySLP changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After I posted this, the company contacted me, giving me an email address. After I emailed that address, I received a shipping email that they were replacing the bulbs that didn't come up. No other email explaining anything, or even letting me know that I'd receive the shipping email. I still am not impressed with their communication, but they did hold up to their guarantee, so I'm changing the rating to a neutral.
Negative xryka
Philadelphia, PA
June 24, 2010
On May 24, I placed an order for 24 'Max Frei' hardy geraniums, which were to be delivered by June 11 AT THE LATEST. June 11 came and went and still no geraniums. I nevertheless waited until the following week to find out where my plants were. On June 16, I called BloomingBulb and talked to Brad Squires. He didn't know what the problem was, but later that day he sent me an email: "It looks like there was a shortage on these Geraniums and we never let you know like we should have. Iíve set up your credit card to be refunded the $48.72". OK, so they goofed - I wasn't particularly upset with that (although I was really looking forward to getting the geraniums, and now it's too late to order them!). What is upsetting is that I had to call back three times, and I still don't know whether my credit card has been or will be refunded. On the first call, I was told it could take 4 or 5 business days for the refund to appear on my account, so I waited some more. On June 22 when I called, I was told they would investigate why the refund had not yet gone through. Today (June 24), still no refund! Upon calling, I was told the refund was only processed on June 22! I hope this has actually occurred, but I have begun to lose faith in this company. At best, they aren't on the ball; at worst, they have had my money to use for a month, while I have to pay interest to my credit card for this money, and I still am out $48.72! I will definitely not use this company again.
Negative joisgarden
Madison, WI
May 24, 2010
I was going to order from them for the first time, and I carefully picked out products that I wanted, and kept my order just under $50, to be charged that shipping rate. When I went to check out, my order was split into two orders - spring and fall - and shippping was applied seperately to each, which bummed me out, but when I scrolled down to my order summary, my totals where still the same, and shipping was still $10.95 (the $20-$50 rate). I filled out all the information, and got ready to complete my order, then at the last minute, it DID add an extra shipping charge - for two orders. This extra charge was $6.95 - and extra 14%!
I was trying this order Sat eve, and tried to call their customer number, which stated that they were open "7:30-4, pacific time," so I called back the next day but still no answer, so I assume that they are only open Mon-Fri - but I wish their message would state that.
I called back again on Monday morning and spoke to Scott (I believe). I told him what had happened, and he apologized, but explained that is how they do things. I said that the other companies I have ordered from don't do that - you pay one shipping charge, and they send things out when they're ready. I told him I was a first-time customer, and asked if there was anything they could do. He said "No." I asked (politely) if there was anyone else that could help me, and he said he was the manager. I said that I didn't think I wanted to try doing business with them, and he said OK.
I am disappointed, because I looked at their shipping charges on their website before I ordered, and it does not say anything about charging seperate shipping charges if things go out seperately. I also feel that if this is how they respond to customer service inquiries (and I was very polite throughout), then I don't want to give them my business.
Positive psudan
Mentor, OH
May 1, 2010
I've ordered from B.B. several times in the past year and have nothing but great things to say about them. I have been gardening for only two years and if someone like me can have the results with dahlias and jumbo gladiolas that i have had ,then you know it's because of a great product and not my "skill". I am now waiting on another order of dahlias. Also the prices are unbelievable.
Positive chinooktoe
Kent, WA
April 27, 2010
In March 2010, I ordered $100 worth of dahlia bulbs. They arrived in great shape. They were all big, healthy looking tubers with multiple tubers on each plant. I will re-evaluate in August to see how the plants grew. Bloomingbulb had the best prices I could find.
Positive Amber_O
Gaithersburg, MD
March 29, 2010
Posted on March 29, 2010, updated March 29, 2010
I ordered 100 daffodils from Bloomingbulb.com last fall. They arrived quickly but I was disappointed with the way the bulbs looked. They didn't look healthy, they were small and very dirty. However, I decided to plant them anyway. I have a townhouse and planted about 75 in front and the rest in back. I worried all winter long that my babies wouldn't come up.

Well, I was wonderfully surprised this spring!! I now have several gardens full of truly gorgeous big daffodils. I wish now that I had planted more. I guess I will just have to wait until next fall to purchase more and plant those too. I will definitely going to buy from Blooming Bulb again.

I also purchased bulbs that bloom in the summer, mostly anemones. Many of those are beginning to emerge nicely. I just can't wait to see how they progress as well.

On March 29th, 2010, Amber_O added the following:

They sent me 3 amaryllis bulbs as a gift. I gave one to a neighbor. I planted the other 2. One of the bulbs didn't bloom very well, but the other one was gorgeous. I have never tried amaryllis before so it was fun to watch. My neighbor's bulb grew very nicely and her family enjoyed watching the huge blooms.
Positive lindseyp
Greenville, NC
March 11, 2010
I have ordered twice from this company. The first order everything was as I expected, what wasn't expected were the 3 miniature amaryllis bulbs they gave me as a gift...which bloomed in time for Christmas..thank you very much! My second order, just recently, one of the bulbs was rotten, and another bag of bulbs were questionable. I emailed that day detailing the issues.The next day I got a note from BloomingBulbs, Breidie George, explaining that the bulbs most likely had gotten frozen in transit and gave me the option of a refund, credit, or replacement. I chose a replacement , shipped later when the weather was warmer...I kept the note in case I had to jog their memory, well, no jogging was needed. Breidie contacted me this week letting me know that my order had been scheduled. You can tell a lot about a company by the way that they take care of problems, and this company did everything right.
Neutral oldrose1
Idaho Falls, ID
January 20, 2010
Posted on June 24, 2009, updated January 19, 2010
I've bought a few bulbs from Blooming Bulb, and they have all been adequate. Not large, but all looked alive and most came up.

So when I saw they were selling a David Austin rose I had wanted for some time at a good price, on June 10th I ordered it on-line. June is tricky here. Except for one warm spell (lasting about a week) we've had nothing but rain & cold this year. But winters seem to become summer suddenly in June, so it pays to be careful.

I have had excellent results having bare-root roses shipped to me across the country via 'stage coach,' (or so it seemed. ) in June. It was slooooww & there was no expeditedshipping offered. After more than three weeks, those roses arrived-and their roots were in great shape. They were wrapped in moss, which was covered with plastic & still damp. The roses all lived.

Blooming bulb said in the ad that the rose would ship mid month. I called them before the rose shipped to decide if I should choose to expedite shipping.

I told the man in customer service about my previous experience. I was told that the rose would be shipped from Oregon - to me in Idaho. I told him that if they, BloomingBulb, packed the roots of the rose well as those I had gotten from across country in June, it should do fine coming at the regular shipping rate. He agreed.

This call was on Monday, the rose was here by Friday. It was packed in lots and lots of crumpled white paper, and- nothing else. No moss. No plastic. Just a few thin canes, mostly the tan of dead canes. There was some green. I would not have panicked about those, but given it time. But the roots were dry as dust. Just placed in the crumpled white paper.

I soaked the rose right away, planted it in the prepared hole, watered it in good, mounded damp earth over it. I don't hold out much hope, but I am treating it like it had a hope.

I called BloomingBulb the following Monday, and was told they ALWAYS ship bare root plants this way, and never had any complaints(?) so they (the plants) must all live! Guess what folks! BloomingBulb has a working magic wand which touches all the bare root roses/shrubs etc they sell-or maybe they don't sell much?

I really WANT the rose to live-and yeah, to bloom. I'm going to treat it like it might. But if it does, it will be the only bare root rose with DRY UNPROTECTED roots I've ever had that does. And I will be checking into tthat wand.
On January 20th, 2010, oldrose1 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I really wish that I could a separate review for my fall/winter purchases. I said that I had purchased Bloomingbulb for spring bubls before and threy had been adequate. I purchased them again this year- always on sale, and always with the shipping costs in mind.

Because the varieties available locally were extremely limited this fall (09), I bought more from mailorder vendors, including those at BB, esecially on their sales.

My first bulbs arrived on time, looking and feeling healthy. I had added 5 Trentino mini amaryllis becuase they were on sale, and because they were on sale. I give flowers away year round, especailly at Christmas. My five looked healthy and were not sporuted, so I put them in the basement and concentrated on planting bulbs while the sun still shone-or usually didn't-or but at least the ground was cool enough yet unfrozen.
One week later, two more expensive, said to larger, Trentino arrived from another company. Both werebarely sprouted- two buds each. I brought the BB Trentino out of the basemenrt and compared them. They also were beginning to spout. And they were every bit as big as the new arrivals.
I potted them all, they took a while to grow enough so I could give them away, but by then, I could no longer tell which was which.

So I ordered some Zombie-I'd been wanting some for two years and the price, while not a sale, was good. One flower stalk had been cut in half. I called and reported it . The replacement took some time to arrive, but wheb it did BB had sent 4 bulbs.

Then a series of problems arose-partly due to the nature of min amaryllis, partly due to a little flakyness on my part, partly due some human and computer glitches. All wertaken care of to the satisfaction of both I and a partner who shared some of the product.

First I changed my mind about an order 15 minutes after I made it. I waited until I got the email notification before I sent in an amended online order, In the comment section I told them about the canceled order, gave them it's number and the time I had received the cancellaton email. I asked that they not fill the new order unless the first order had been canceled.

I knew BB charges when an order is placed, not when iti s sent, but I was hoping that since it had been canceled right away, maybe someone caught it.. Sure enough my debit account showed the charge as pending the next day I called Bloomingbulb and reported this, was reassured that the order had been cancelled and was not shipped. And pointed out that even if the order had been canceled and the refund immediatly given, sometimes they stayed in the pending mode for days. I waited while the amount remained pending and stayed that way for 3 days. . Then the charge went through, I called bloomingbulb, they said, yes, the refund was made wait a few more days.

In the meantime, second order we were waiting for was slow to arrive, and the cold, ground freezing weather arrived a good two weeks earlierr than it ever has in the 19 years we have been here. Visions of putting every single bulb in containers in the garage were passing in front of my eyes. I was glad we had ordered more Trentino 25 we were going to split between us. Still no refund. I kept calling-it had been and being reassured the refund had been made. Finally the order came! I was estatic! The sun was shining, warming the permafrost, maybe I could get the Tahiti daffodil I'd ordered into the ground if I chipped hard enough!

I opened the box. It was the canceled order. whoopee. I called Bloomingbulb, reported that the order I had repeatedly canceled, that I had been repeatedly told was canceled, the one that had charged to my account had just showed up at my door.

They apologized, told me I would not have pay for it, and that I could do what I pleased with the bulbs.

When the actual order showed up two days later, again all the hardy bulbs looked great, and there were 50 Trentino-two bags of 25, not the 25 we had ordered. We had not been charged for the extra bag- and it was soon evident why.

Of the 50, eight were in really good shape. Eight more were tolerable shape, the rest had real problems. They had all sprouted, and been damaged, either the closeness as they traveled d or by the way the were stored before they left.

Five more of those I judged adequate in the beginning were a great deal less than adequate a few days later.

Meanwhile the Trentinos became sold out. When I called about the damaged bulbs, and about the still missing refund, I was told there had been a computer glitch, and ithe refund had not been credited to my account until three days before. This time it did show up.

We were satisfied with enough of the replacements minis-10 Trentinos and 10 Bellisimo- chosen and sent specially to us, that we were quite satisfied.

Yes, getting replacements bulbs was a pain, and so was getting the refund. Moreover, If I had not been paying attension, I may never have realized I didn't get the refund. But we did get them bulbs, refunds and all. Some companies would not have allowed me to change my mind, or have ask that I return the bulbs after they sent them.

The mini amaryllis were a small part of the orders but from what I learned both from the carefully chosen, expidited replacements sent and from one last order from a dealer which had a shorted distance to travel priority mail, so came with slight wounds which got progressively worse by the half day, mini amaryllis simply sprout super fast, and those sprouts get further out and far more easily damaged by the day. They simply are hard to come by in decent condition as the season progressd.

At any rate to put it more succinctly, which I have a hard time doing, Bloomingbulb treated me well this season. There wre some problems with product, but not any with their main offering-spring bulbs.

Over all, I'd give them a positive rating for last fall and winter, so I've moved the rating up to neutral,
Positive dogsinmygarden
Los Angeles, CA
January 18, 2010
The first time I ordered from this company my begonia bulbs rotted, however they gave me a prompt credit and so I tried them again for my spring flowers, again some of my bulbs arrived rotten but this time I was able to get replacement bulbs. Well so far so good, all of my bulbs are growing, so I will continue to order from this company since they honor their quality promise.
Negative Shooflygeaux
Independence, LA
July 11, 2009
I ordered 15 Majestic Red Callas. Most were cut up but they were of a decent size. All but 2 rotted. ..and the two did not bloom. I e-mailed them per their replacement policy. No answer. The third phone call had bulbs replaced. They were chopped on worse than the first. They also rotted but for one that actually bloomed...white...not Majestic Red. I let them know but never had a reply. The bulbs were planted near my Pacific Callas that thrive,bloom and multiply each year so it wasn,t the soil or inability to plant correctly. Shooflygeaux
Positive eyfng
San Gabriel, CA
June 8, 2009
I placed an order of 35 begonias this spring. 5 of them didn't not grow, I got the refund within a week. All others are growing well. I am waiting to see the flowers.

I have to call them for refund because they don't reply my email.

This place collects payments 6 weeks before the shipping date. I didn't get an email notification for the shipment. I just had to keep checking with them.

They packed the bulbs in paper bags, quiet nice. Overall, the products are healthy.

Negative shubbard
Oologah, OK
May 7, 2009
I odered 200 Ixia bulbs, 200 Brodiaea queen fabiola bulbs, and 15 peony roots. I rcvd immediate email confirmation. I was having laptop issues, and actually order twice by mistake. this was on a sat/sun, saw the debit twice, so called on Monday tothem. The gentleman I spoke with was very nice, saw what I had done right away, and cxld the "wrong" order for me, issued the credit. the credit came thru just couple days after. The bulbs all came packaged in plastic-like envelopes- groups of 25 for Ixia, and groups of 10 for Queen Fabiola.Each envelope is labeled with planting insructions aswell as height, name,planting depth & width. all look good- none are wet or black/moldy. all dry and of correct size. I have never ordered these before, so I dont know, but they look good to me. I like the fact that each enevlope is clearly labeled, and how many bulbs inthere- will help a great deal when we are out in yard planting. the peony roots are 3 different varieties, 5 each of Sorbet, Sarah Bernhart, and Festiva Maxima. The Sorbet and Sarah's are Huge! They have 2-3 or more eyes- big sprouts ( better hurry), and all look very fresh. the Festiva Maxima are a little smaller, 4 out of 5 have 2 eyes, and just one has only 1 eye, but they still look healthy, just not as large as other 2 varieties. they were all packaged in plastic bags with wood shavings. orders were shipped about a week apart- and on time per the shipping schedule on the email confirmation. Everything has been very easy, very clear, and on time. The roots/bulbs all look healthy, and the prices could not be beat! I am a happy camper.., uh gardener..I cant wait to see these grow and bloom! I will order from this company again. I love the specials, overstock sales- right in my budget! ( which is zero, but, take it out of groc budget anyways.. lol) rather plant than eat anyways right! Hope in future they will add free suprises with their orders- that would be fun. My first order- I give them A+
thanks,
Sue Hubbard
On August 7th, 2009, shubbard changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

most all of bulbs never came up at all, small amount that did died right away. 1 peony root that was small- 2 eyes to begin with- never came up. emailed company 3 times. no reply. they do not respond or honor their quarantee.
Positive plantgnome
Coram, NY
April 5, 2009
Received my three Canna bulbs, nice sized with eyes, having never planted Canna before-I was hoping for a detailed planting instruction with the products. I googled it to find out how to plant. Other than that I am satisfied so far. will report back when they start blooming.
Negative susandonb1141
Triad(for a few more months), NC (Zone 7a)
March 5, 2009
I ordered and paid for a seed planter and I was told it would be shipped Friday Feb 27th. I never received any shipping confirmation so I called them on March 3rd, they had no informationa nd the attendant sounded like he didn't know what he was doing. I was told someone would call me back the following morning with info. I got no call and called them late in the day I was then told they would find out what the status was on the order and call me, again I got no call but got an email with a tracking number that did not work, so I called again. I was again told they would call me back. I was called back and told the item was shipped only today and I was given a correct tracking number. A partial refund was offered and hopefully is in the process. I will probably not place another order with this company.
Positive veryzer
Sycamore, IL
February 21, 2009
I ordered a rilona amaryllis but received an appleblossom amaryllis instead. I contacted bloomingbulb to inform them of the mistake but was never granted a response of any kind.
On March 11th, 2009, veryzer changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Scott contacted me, apologized for the lack of correspondence and gave me a refund for the bulb. Though I would obviously have appreciated a direct response to my emails rather than following a negative review, I am willing to give bloomingbulb the benefit of the doubt.
Negative lsterrell
Memphis, TN
December 29, 2008
This is the second year that I ordered in April, paid in August, and when my requested delivery date in November arrived, a large portion of the bulbs that I had ordered and paid for were "out of stock." In addition, many of the bulbs were dried out and moldy. This happened to me last year, and Scott assured me that it wouldn't happen again. Well, it did. I was issued credit for the missing and bad bulbs, but it was too late to order the bulbs that I wanted from any other source.
Positive lemonwater
Mountain View, CA
November 27, 2008
I just received my first order from Blooming Bulb and I am very happy with what I received. All of my bulbs are healthy and firm (no mushy or moldy ones!). Despite purchasing them at the end of the season sale, they're all of good size, and most are actually pretty large. They even threw in a few extra tulips and daffodils!

Shipping was a little later than I expected by a few days, but that's something I expect given the end of the season sale, and given that I ordered so close to Thanksgiving. Not a big deal!

Blooming Bulb just became one of favorite places to order bulbs from. I was a bit skeptical about receiving such great bulbs for so cheap but I'll be ordering from them again in the near future!
Positive 1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA (Zone 9b)
November 19, 2008
I have ordered for 2 co-ops with blooming bulbs and was very satisfied with both shipments, they were prompt, all ordered items were shipped, and all healthy bulbs....look forward to doing business with them again!
Positive Jnette
Northeast, WA (Zone 5a)
November 14, 2008
This company was the vendor for our co-op buying of amaryllis bulbs and the product was outstanding. We had a very large order. Out of my order of 15 bulbs that I had ordered for Christmas gifts, one had a cut from the shovel. The host on the co-op contacted the vendor and he replaced it.

I can't say enough about this transaction with this company through the co-op. It was my first purchase using a co-op, and because of the customer service and product from this vendor I hope to participate in more.

Jeanette Smith
Positive goofybulb
El Paso, TX (Zone 8a)
October 20, 2008
My first order with Bloomingbulb was through a coop. We had a nice selection to choose from, and I am very pleased with my Amaryllis bulbs. Nice size, plump bulbs, packaged individually in paper bags, labeled and with planting advice. The prices were good, and shipping to our host was quite fast. I bookmarked the site and I will come back.