The scoop on 'Blue Bird Haven Iris Garden'

Blue Bird Haven Iris Garden

6940 Fairplay Rd
Somerset, California 95684 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $1

Comments:

Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
July 13, 2014
Posted on July 13, 2012, updated July 13, 2014
We ordered some rare historic yellow and white amoena bulbs from 1949 called 'Summit' which is so rare no one else had it available. you have to get your order in real early like back in winter here after the first of January though if you want to make sure you get what varieties you need as rare historics are becoming ever more popular and harder to come by, they also sent us the extra we wanted 'Inca Chief' which was nice as there are no guarantees with extras. bulbs were not very large or clean looking, nor were they beaming with health but the had these rare fans, they gave us this extra we wanted and shipped on time as specified so i will give them a Positive.
On July 13th, 2014, themikesmom added the following:

Very Pleased and Happy with Our 2014 Order. Rhizomes were Very Clean, Large Decent Sized of Each Cultivar we recieved, and most importantly we recieved 90%+ of the cultivars we requested back in January with Lovely Extras and only one substitution we didnt have on the alternitive list that we didnt ask for and only one of the bonus extras missing, so Bottomline.We were Very Pleased with this years order. Thanks Mary :-) Already Planning for next years order! :-)
Positive crowrita1
Lyndon, IL (Zone 5a)
August 1, 2013
This was my second year ordering from Bluebird. They have a tremendous selection of iris to choose from, and the plants are healthy, although small( drought conditions) compared to some vendors. Communication is excellent, and they really "aim to please". You get the feeling that you're a friend, not just a customer. I highly recommend this grower.
Positive clematisdave
Pylesville, MD
August 22, 2011
It seems to be that historic iris collections are an up and coming thing in many American gardens. Mary Hess has a wonderful aray of oldies but goodies and is very generous to boot. What a treat to talk about these good old day plants that our grandparents had growing in different parts of the garden. Join HIPS and get hooked on these neet historic plants. Miss Hess is a great place to start. Thanks Mary.
Positive Nana3
Hanson, KY (Zone 6a)
July 27, 2009
Mary is a great lady who called me personally to talk about having to make some substitions on my order. I had given her permission on the order form to choose substitions for me and I thought her call was above and beyond. I received my iris order today and she substituted for me with some equally beautiful historic iris from the same timeframe as I was seeking.....and I was thrilled. I will certainly be ordering from her again.
Thank you Mary Hess....your name and your company name have gone into our files as a "great online iris seller".
And, if anyone is looking for historic iris...check out this site.
Mary had some I was having trouble finding commercially.
Thank you Mary for keeping the old historics available.

Nana3

Positive 1913cat
Robertsville, MO (Zone 5b)
March 17, 2009
Mary is a doll to do business with, very prompt with responses. Her selection is incredible, very hard to collect some of those rare beauties !!!! Thank You Mary for working so hard. The iris I received from her are powerhouses, never lost one, one in particular first season has 6 new increases.
Will alway put on my first list to order for the season.
Positive CHA
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
January 2, 2007
This is a great company if you're looking for rare historic iris, although they do have both historic and modern iris. Prices are good and rhizome size is average. Definitely not the size of the heavy hitter companies such as Schreiner's or Superstition, but are extremely healthy.

They also have many more irises than they list, so if you are looking for a particular iris, chances are they might have it.

If I must say anything negative of them, its their somewhat lack of communication. You may have to get call or write to them several times before getting a response. Overall, however, its a great company.
Positive Sarconti
Durham, ME (Zone 4a)
December 30, 2006
First time ordering experience. Great opportunity to obtain rare antique not just modern irises. All irises were healthy, reasonable prices, nice bonuses, few substitutes but when it happened they were nice ones similar to the ones I ordered. I ordered early to recieve my iris by the end of July or early Aug which is important in my zone. No problems recieving my iris on time. I shall be a repeat customer no doubt. Can't wait until things bloom.