The scoop on 'Smith Daylilies (S & S Enterprises)'

Smith Daylilies (S & S Enterprises)

2150 S. Fletcher Rd.
Chelsea, Michigan 48118 (United States)

Comments:

Positive hanbell
Hillman, MI
June 7, 2008
This is a small operation run by two retired math teachers, so they keep things relatively simple. They do not accept credit cards because of the processing costs and they are not set up to accept internet orders. All of this was fine with me, I understand a small operation preferring to focus their resources on their product.

I sent them an order for a number of daylilies on May 12, the day before we left for a 2 week vacation, because I wanted to get the plants soon after our return. The website says they ship in 7-14 days. I included a note explaining we were leaving on vacation and asking them not to ship until after our return on 5/28. The plants were shipped 5/31 (Saturday, despite being a small operation!) and I received them the following Tuesday.

My plants were shipped bare root (and what root systems!), wrapped in wet newspaper, slipped into one plastic sleeve, then into another sleeve with a detailed plant label inside. One variety I'd ordered as a gift and when I received the shipment the plants were packed well enough and were still damp enough that I didn't need to do anything but move the gift plants to another box and ship them off.

The plants are all lovely. On their website they say "we ship Double Fans with hardy root systems" and that is absolutely what I received. The double fans are so large I need more space for them. I've had to pot up some of them until I get the ground prepared - a delightful sort of a problem!

The also included an unexpected free gift of another very healthy double fan. I definitely recommend this company.
On July 14th, 2008, hanbell added the following:

Addendum: it is now July 14th and all of the daylilies I ordered have been in the ground for about 5 weeks. Some of them are blooming already and more have buds. I couldn't be more happy with the plants I received from this company.
Positive 6l3i4n
Greencastle, PA
May 15, 2008
My order from S&S Enterprises was packed and labeled with great care. The daylilies were very fresh and healthy. The double fans were large and more than I expected. I would recommend them as a place to get a quality product and excellent service.