The scoop on 'Pine Knot Farms'

Pine Knot Farms

681 Rock Church Rd
Clarksville, Virginia 23927-4201 (United States)

Phone: (434) 252-1990

Visit Pine Knot Farms at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Company Comment, posted on December 11, 2001:
We have been growing at the nursery for 20 years and have tried to provide quality service and good value. We are not marketers, spin to us is what the washer does just before it's finished it's load. We do strive to present honest and informative information and a good plant. If we can help answer any questions we'll be happy to try.

Comments:

Positive Clove
Union City, NJ
May 22, 2014
I ordered six Hellebores which I received right away. Pine Knot Farms excels on all counts: Excellent customer service--excellent packaging & shipping to New Jersey--and excellent hellebores. The plants are extremely healthy & beautiful. I will definitely order from Pine Knot Farms again.
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
March 29, 2014
Each year I make it a point to attend Pine Knot Farms Hellebore Festival in February. It's a lovely experience and I have gone home with such beautiful plants that have grown so well in my garden beds. Would highly recommend this Nursery.
Positive jlghertner
Sodus, NY
April 28, 2012
Perfect retailer. Their hellebores are of superior quality and much more hardy than I have received from many other places. I have been dealing with this family for several years. They ship when I request and have replaced any plants that do not survive (probably three plants out of ~40) the worst weather in the Continental US (my opinion, of course): upstate NY on Lake Ontario where we get heavy snows, extreme cold with common temperature changes of 50 degrees in a matter of hours, severe ice storms, drought and heavy rains, all of which can occur in one spring season.
Positive AuntieFlo
Philadelphia, PA
March 6, 2012
Iíve never ORDERED from Pine Knot Farms but I bought plants in September 2010 when they were an invited vendor at the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society members' day.
It was so hard to choose from all of the plants they offered. The owner spent a lot of time talking to me about the plants and their care. The plants did ok the first year, but this year several of them are already covered with blooms. Iíll be looking to buy from them again when they travel up to southeastern PA.
Positive BobPlant
Melrose, MA
August 11, 2010
Ordered from them twice. Excellent experience. Judith is professional and quick to respond. I am now in possession of several very healthy and substantial Hellebores. Well packaged and fine on arrival. Good value. Highly recommended.
Positive Ashley99
Gloucester, MA
March 20, 2010
Great service, immediate response to my email and lightning fast turnaround. Plants look robust. A+
Positive avacon
Somerville, MA
July 25, 2009
I ordered a number of hellebores and some hosta from Pine Knot Farms. They showed up amazingly well-packed and in great condition. The plants are also of a great size, and they had a good selection. I would certainly recommend them to anyone looking to order hellebores.
Positive skaggs88
Spicewood, TX
January 18, 2009
I was searching for a particular iris in the early fall and had only found it listed in a very, very few online nurseries. However the plant was always sold out, but then I saw Pine Knots had the iris listed on their website so I called the company. The gentleman who answered was so pleasant. He told me he would go "down" and see if he still had any remaining. I told him that I would love to have as many as five plants if he had them. I gave him my credit card info and he said that he would charge the card appropriately.
Within the week I received the 5 plants and the invoice indicating the correct charges.
It is now early January and these iris really indicate the vigor of very healthy plants. I have ordered from many companies and Pine Knots plants and customer service are exceptional.
Positive 4estspyrit
Otis, OR
January 1, 2009
I ordered a Mrs.Betty Ranicar Hellebore from Pine Knot last summer to plant on my Kitty's grave. The gentleman who answered the phone and put my order through was so kind and helpful! He helped me choose the variety for my area (Mid Oregon Coast) and it arrived in wonderful condition, lovingly packed. It is growing very well and just came through a week of snow! I will definitely order from Pine Knot Farms again.
Positive juanwillis
Winchester, MA (Zone 6a)
April 30, 2008
I've ordered hellebores twice from Pine Knot Farms; once in the Fall with their 1.5 gallon sizes, and once in the spring with their 1 quart sizes. Both times the plants were of terrific quality and size--it was really impressive to open the box and see what's inside. The owners have been very friendly on the phone as well. I'll look forward to ordering from Pine Knot again.
Positive wyldeflwr
Laurel, MD (Zone 7a)
April 23, 2008
I received plants from the co-op hosted by flowrgirl1 and could not believe how large, how healthy and well developed the root system was on the plants. These plants are excellent and I would recommend them to anyone.
Positive MollyD1953
Columbia, TN (Zone 7b)
April 23, 2008
Participated in flowrgirl1 co-op with them. Hellebores I received were excellent! Really great value for the money.
Positive flowrgirl1
Winston-Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
March 20, 2008
I am doing a co op with Pine Knot as I write this and i must say they are great! Judith answers my emails everyday, quickly! The prices are great as well. I will post more when the co op is finished.

On April 16th, 2008, flowrgirl1 added the following:

I received the hellebores today and couldnt be happier! They are very large and healthy for one year old plants. Excellant packing as well. I would and will recomend pine knot to all who are looking for first class treatment and hellebores. A+++
Positive kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
November 29, 2007
I just received my first order of hellebores from PKF and am pleased to say that the service was perfect. All the plants are sturdy and healthy, the sizes seem larger than the "quarts" other mail order nurseries have sent me, and the shipment arrived quickly and very well packed. The owner is extremely knowledgeable and seems very willing to share information about the plants even before an order is placed. All in all, highly recommended for service, and they have a wide and unusually broad selection of hellebore species and cultivars not necessarily easily found elsewhere.
Positive declfi
Fenton, MO (Zone 6b)
March 19, 2007
Nice plants and fast shipping
Positive ladyisle
Bohemia, NY (Zone 7a)
March 7, 2007
I just received my hellebores today and am very happy with their size and condition. The pots are larger than the "quarts" and "gallons" that other mail order nurseries use. Buying from the grower was a great experience as they know what they are talking about when they describe their stock.

A few years ago, I ordered "Pine Knot Strain" hellebores from another mail order company. They arrived in 3" pots and were more expensive.

I just want to say thank you for the beautiful plants and the great service. I will be ordering from you again.
Positive tbuff
Canton, GA
November 8, 2006
The owner was extremely helpful and a wealth of information on hellebores. He helped me decide upon the best varieties for my collection-and what variety! The plants were very well packaged and healthy. I would definitely order from this company again.
Positive rosephan
Hopatcong, NJ
April 27, 2006
SUPER plants. Plants arrived in 3 days to my NJ location with the best packaging I have ever seen. Three were BLOOMING. Even their small size plants are huge compared to what you get from other places. Very healthy green plants with huge root systems. Would not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive AS
(Zone 7a)
September 14, 2005
The plants were fresh, very healthy, and packed well enough to survive abuse by UPS. I was afraid of what I'd find when I saw the box - it was slightly smashed, the tape had come partly off, and there was a little dirt around the top. But the plants came through it all just fine and look like I picked them up at the nursery.
On July 26th, 2007, AS added the following:

I highly recommend their seedlings. The seedlings I bought two years ago were obviously healthy and have done splendidly. They bloomed this spring, and I like them even better than the blooming-size plant I got (which was nice, too).
Positive smilingpoppy
Groveland, MA
May 7, 2005
I placed my first order with Pine Knot Farms this spring based on the positive reviews from other gardeners on this site. Judith was such a help with all of my questions and she was willing to hold my order for me while I waited for our record breaking snow to melt. I was thrilled to see the quality and size of my hellebores upon arrival. They have settled in quite nicely and I am happy to recommend PKF to anyone who may be interested in growing these beautiful flowers.
Positive purplepinkpolka
Leesburg, VA
October 21, 2004
Just got my order from Pine Knot. PKF did a tremendous job (specially shaped cardboard boxes, lots of rubberbands)with packing and the plants are all very healthy. I spoke to Judith, the co-owner, and she was very nice and very responsive. I'd definately buy from PKF again.
Positive slubberdegulion
Roanoke, VA (Zone 7a)
September 22, 2004
I'm astonished by the size and quality of the helebores I've received! The packaging was very good (almost too good, after a hard day of weeding...very securely packed!) and would have easily made a much longer trip than across the State. I can't wait to see them bloom, their leaves are already becoming.
Positive dckate
January 6, 2004
this small company truly impresses me, and not just for its remarkable hellebores. in september, after getting expert advice from a member of pine knot's staff, i ordered boughton beauty and ashwood white hellebores. one plant failed to thrive, but since the rest of the order was so glorious i forgot about it until four months later, when i had the free time to email the company. the owner, judith, responded immediately and graciously, and within two days i had received a spectacular replacement--a far superior plant to the one i paid for.
Positive Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a)
May 18, 2003
I organized & ran the Helleborus Co-op during the Spring 2003 season. In my opinion, Pine Knot Farms, is a 1st class Nursery, and rates an A+ for the quality & size of their "deep 36 cell-starts" for the Hellebores "Piccadilly Strain", that were ordered through the co-op.

It was a pleasure working with Judith Tyler, co-owner of the Nursery, along with her husband Charles. She made the process of ordering 720 Hellebores easy, their packing & shipping was 1st rate, and I received their "starts" (which looked like 1yr. old plants) in a very timely manner.

Shipping the Hellebores to co-op participants was a lot of work, but done so with loving hands and with my excellent assistant Jody! Participants commented that the Hellebores looked as if they had been dug up in one part of my garden and moved to the other side of my yard. The majority of plants travelled very well to the co-op participants due to the excellent quality of deep cell starts from Pine Knot Farms!

I would NOT hesitate to highly recommend & use them again in the future!!! I just hope that they will consider different varieties of Hellebores to sell wholesale in the future!
Positive Cheryl_IL
(Zone 5b)
December 7, 2001
Full-line perennial growers specializing in Hellebores.

Hellebores are a new perennial for me so before I ordered, I asked plenty of questions. All my questions were answered patiently, promptly, professionally, and friendly. Delivery time was exceptional and so are the hellebores. Planting instructions were even included. I can't wait to plant the seeds too.

I'm thrilled with the service and with the plants. I'm hoping to order more hellebores in spring and possibly crossing other perennials off my "wish list"
On April 2nd, 2003, Cheryl_IL added the following:

Ordered again in Spring/Summer 2002 and forgot to post more feedback but I have to because I'm so pleased (again). The service was great as I expected it to be and so were the plants. In fact, my hellebores from 2002 have lots of buds already!