The scoop on 'Gilbert H. Wild and Son'

Gilbert H. Wild and Son

3044 State Hwy 37
Sarcoxie, Missouri 64862-03638 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-449-4537
Fax: 1-888-548-6831

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Lauribob
Twisp, WA
April 12, 2014
Posted on May 19, 2007, updated April 12, 2014
I ordered 6 or so daylilies last fall and planted them - they are all up and looking healthy. I ordered another 6 or so this spring and again got great looking starts. You can't beat the price from these guys.

Now the big test - will they be the correct cultivars? I hope so - if I remember I will update after they bloom.
On April 12th, 2014, Lauribob added the following:

I ordered several daylilies, a peony, a hosta, a couple grasses, and an iris this year. They just arrived this week and look absolutely great! Nice large plants - all but the peony & daylilies were in 4" pots, well packed, and arrived moist. The daylilies & peony are large divisions showing lots of green growth. I don't think you can do better for the price than these guys. I have bought from them for several years now.
Positive jilly_bean46
Connellsville, PA
April 3, 2014
WOW!
I ordered the bouquet of blooms daylilies 100 for $100. The catalog had a promo code which offered 10% off 100 or more plus free shipping on orders over $75. I also ordered a stargazer lily.
I received over 100 beautiful, healthy tubers. They were freshly dug and some are sprouting. The stargazer (3) are huge.
The order was placed on March 31 and UPS delivered them April 3.
I WILL be ordering from them again. Wow I am impressed.
Now if I can just get the weather to cooperate.
Positive gingerbee1
Back Mountain, PA (Zone 5a)
March 9, 2014
I have been ordering from Gilbert H. Wild and Son for several years. I have always received healthy generous sized plants, and even a bonus plant with each order. Their prices are always very reasonable as well. I have already placed my spring 2014 order.
Positive TheRectory
Stanardsville, VA
March 6, 2014
We love Gilbert Wild and Sons!

Everything arrives promptly (weather permitting) and is well packaged and fresh. We have always found the sizes of their offerings to be appropriate and very often they are larger than expected with the plants they sent being able to be safely divided into half straight out of the box. So, on the rare occasion that something arrives on the small size (and it is rare) Gilbert Wild has more than made up for it in other ways.

Our viability/success rate where Gilbert Wild is concerned has also been impressive with nearly 100% of their products not just living but thriving. We use quarantine pots for everything that we bring into our gardens to make sure that things are OK before we plant them. The root growth we get from their offerings knocks pretty much every competitor out of the water (or soil) as far as we are concerned.

Our first order for 2014 has been submitted and will arrive sometime next month. I suspect that another order (or three) will be sent in shortly. With over 1.5 acres of gardens to build from scratch, we are fortunate to have found a quality vendor like Gilbert Wild and Sons with which to do business and we look forward to continuing to be loyal customers for many years to come.

Happy gardening, everyone!
Negative lyph
Ithaca, NY (Zone 5a)
February 8, 2014
I was absolutely astonished to open an email from this company today, and find an advertisement for a pyramid scheme beauty product, endorsed by the owner and sold by a family member! I immediately 'unsubscribed', and will not consider ordering from this company again. I have enough problem protecting myself from unwanted computer spam to allow it in via an established gardening supplier who has my contact information.

Shame on Gilbert Wild.
Company representative comment on February 8, 2014:
On Feb 8, 2014 3:54 PM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

We are so sorry that you feel this way. I just wanted to help my daughter start in a product we believe in, as we are very family oriented. I thought my customers would appreciate learning about this new product.

Positive MommaCat88
Minneapolis, MN
February 5, 2014
I have never reviewed a plant company before, but after getting my Gilbert H. Wild catalog yesterday, I felt compelled to become a Dave's Garden member so I could tell you why I didn't toss the Wild catalog in the recycle bin.

I have previously ordered from this company. If forced to review them, I would have given a neutral rating. Why? They sent very large peonies, nice hosta and, usually, pretty nice Daylilies. Sometimes I felt they were a little small, but for $3.50, I got to try a new variety. Sometimes they were very nice sized. My issue was their 30 day guarantee. Peonies almost never bloom the first year. The Daylilies would not bloom in 30 days. I had a few Daylilies and a peony bloom in a color other than pictured in the catalog. I read reviews here and decided not to contact customer service. Their guarantee clearly stated 30 days. I knew that.

I had no intention of ever ordering from Wild again, since their guarantee didn't meet my needs. I couldn't resist looking through the catalog before recycling it. They do put out a nice catalog. I am so glad I looked through it. The owner has a letter on the inside cover. He specifically addresses the concerns mentioned on this site. The new guarantee is for one year! It sounds as if the business recognizes they needed to work on customer service and is doing so. I applaud that, and I will order from them again. I hope others give them a try.

As stated in the guidelines for writing a review, it is only fair to try working issues out with a company before blasting them in a public forum. This company does send quality plants. I really respect the fact that they are working so diligently to win back old customers and earn the trust of new ones.

Positive shastania
Miamisburg, OH
January 16, 2014
I have ordered several times from this company. There are good things and bad things about ordering from here. The overwhelmingly best thing about this company, is the dirt cheap bulk discounts on items. In particular, is the 100 hostas for $100. No where else online ( and I've searched pretty thoroughly) can you get 100 small, but decent hostas for $1 each. In fact its more like 105-110, when you actually count up your order, plus when you order at the right time, you can get 10% off and free shipping, which makes each hosta cost about 85 cents. I have ordered these 3 times now, and after about 2 years, the plants look like a $15 plant you would find at the local garden center. As far as survival rate, I had a 100% survival rate, even when a few of the hostas had root rot and mold on them, I planted them anyway and they eventually grew into large plants! If you have a large area of shade and want a beautiful lush ground cover ( and don't mind waiting 2-3 years), buy several hundred of these and watch them take over.
There are also bulk discounts on many other things such as daylilies, grasses, etc. These are what makes ordering from here worth every penny, and can save you hundreds of dollars when planting a large area.
The negative part of this company I find, is that when ordering single plants, they arrive small and sometimes not in the greatest shape, compared to the price they charge. I find that going to a local nursery, you can get a plant that is bigger, with more roots, and in a larger pot for a comparable price. But to be fair, I have ordered from many mail order companies, and they ARE ALL this way, so this is not really different than any other company.
What you have to decide is what plants you want, and search the local nursery's for them, to get better plants for same or cheaper. Then if the ones you want aren't available, bite the bullet and order from a mail order company. This company will be comparable to most others in value you get for your money. They are also quite good at customer satisfaction and helping you get replacements if your plants are not up to expectations.
The message to take away from my review is... If you buy certain items in bulk from Gilbert H. Wild, you WILL NOT find a better deal anywhere from a mail order company! Save$$$$$$
Positive mikesupholstery
Hartsville, SC
December 15, 2013
I have made several big orders from Gilbert H Wild.
Every bulb and plant was of the highest quality and always got a few surprize freebies They will continue to get my bussiness in 2014
Positive BoxTurtle
Woodbridge, VA
November 4, 2013
I absolutely adore the Gilbert H. Wild end of season sales. I have taken advantage of them a couple of times now, and am never disappointed. Their prices put stars in my eyes and I order myself dizzy. If I order three each of several varieties of daylilies, the box comes with three clumps of roots for each variety and most of the clumps need dividing until it seems like I am never going to finish getting them in the ground - my very favorite complaint! If a few plants are a tad smaller, then they are in the minority and well compensated for by the many that are larger than I expected... and of course I suspect my expectations will have been inflated by the big divisible roots I'm pulling out of the box! This year I got good-looking irises, hostas and daylilies, glorious daylilies.
Positive mousingaround
Springfield, MO
October 14, 2013
I have ordered 3 times from this company this year. Every order was filled and promptly arrived in excellant packaging. Sometimes I thought one of the plants I ordered was a little on the small side, and then I would see several were much larger than expected. That is not a complainable offense and I'm tired of reading about a plant wasn't just right or perfect. They are plants! Anyone who grows anything, whether back yard enthusiasts or a pro know that plants don't come in one size fits all. They are as individual as the customer ordering them. If the plant is ridiculously small then complain, if you happen to get one too large then be sure to complain about that as well! For some reason I bet that has never happened.
Negative kaybee3
Richardson, TX
October 11, 2013
The owner of my local garden center recommended buying hosta from the "Wilds of Missouri". He said he had received gorgeous plants from them - very full and lush. So, I went home and did a search for "Wilds of Missouri", which defaulted to GH Wild and Son. I had bought from them previously several years ago and the results had been mixed, so I decided to go ahead and try them. Besides, they had a sale! So, I ordered 18 hosta all together.

The plants were well packaged. The packaging was in good condition when the plants arrived.

The majority of the plants I received were really small. They are what's called "liners". They had been put in a
3" pot for shipping, but the largest majority had not been growing in that large a pot. All the plants still had juvenile leaves and a very small root system. The best ones had three or four leaves and were the least expensive ones. The worst one was a Komodo Dragon that was on sale for $10.00. Someone had trimmed all the roots to about 1 1/2". The entire plant, from the top of the leaves to the bottom of the root system, fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare. One had rot in the root system. One they sent me was one eye trimmed off a larger plant. It had some roots, so hopefully it will survive the winter and produce a plant next year.

I complained by email. I received an email from Greg Jones, telling me to let him know which plants were bad and he would replace them. I replied, but the email bounced with some message about "repeated tries, give up". So I called and got a snotty girl on the phone. I relayed my story. She took my list of 10 plants to be replaced.

The replacement plants arrived shorty after and looked better. They, at least, looked healthy. They're still liners, though and will be small plants for several years. I could have bought liners a lot cheaper than I paid for these plants. Had I known they were selling liners, I would have passed. They said their plants were in 3" pots, which is technically true. That's what they shipped them in, not what they were growing them in.

I would suggest you buy hosta from someone else. I will.
Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
September 18, 2013
Posted on March 21, 2011, updated September 18, 2013
I also received the $10 off coupon on 03-11-11, and entered it when I checked out. I had no problems and quickly received an email confirmation. I was happy they took Paypal, too. I ordered three peonies. They arrived this past week, and were very nice with firm roots and nice eyes. I also received a free daylily. I forwarded their coupon to several people, and they placed orders using it with no problems, and have received their plants, too. Gilbert Wild has a large variety at good prices.
On September 18th, 2013, ycn4chin added the following:

I ordered 5 peonies in May during their late season sale. All divisions were healthy with many eyes. All came up and have grown through the summer. I look forward to blooms on them next spring.
Positive scgreenstein
Troy, NY
September 11, 2013
Posted on September 11, 2013, updated September 11, 2013
Posted on June 2, 2013, updated September 11, 2013
I ordered some canna - maybe 20 altogether in various varieties. They were delivered timely, and now after almost a month in the ground they are starting to come to life. The price was good and they seemed in good condition on arrival. The slow growing is not Wild's fault - next year I will start them in pots a bit earlier. Last fall I ordered peonies, and almost all are up and several flowered (despite first year). Considering I don;t agonize over how I plant, I am happy with both orders.
On September 11th, 2013, scgreenstein added the following:

On September 11th, 2013, scgreenstein added the following:

I just received some peonies and iris for fall planting. I expected the iris sooner, but they were held to be sent with the peonies. The peonies had visible eyes (it helped with knowing how to best orient it into the ground) and the iris were in separate pots with extensive roots. The price was very good. I continue to be very pleased with this company.
(and 6 of the canna are in bloom now)
Positive pamtimes2
Jenks, OK
August 26, 2013
Posted on May 29, 2013, updated August 26, 2013
I ordered a 150 hostas from Wild & Son. Because I had over 100 feet of border, I ordered the buy one get one free and the unlabeled collection of roots. All of the plants arrived in excellent condition. The 100 roots were in 4 sacks of 25. I did note that there were a number of roots which had one eye instead of the 2 that had been promised. However in counting out the roots I found they had more than made up for that fact. They were all very fresh and within a week of planting shoots are coming up from most of them. All things considered I feel like I got a bargain. They also threw in 3 day lily starts. I have to admit that I was concerned because they had a fair amount of negative reviews. I am very please at both the quality and the price. I have ordered hosta roots from big name nurseries and those were not in as good a shape and for a much higher price. I give them a very positive review.
On August 26th, 2013, pamtimes2 added the following:

The plants have been in and growing for several months, I remain pleased with them, it appears to be a nice assortment of color and shapes. Faced with close to 100 feet of border, i am very happy with the result. The price was right - I think I got a real bargain.
Negative annamd11
Henrico, VA
July 29, 2013
Gilbert H Wild has very nice packaging but I didn't receive what I had ordered. I ordered the Pretty in Pink daylily and it appeared as completely peach with no ring. Prairie Blue Eyes was gorgeous in the catalog but very skimpy once start growing. San Ignacio did not bloom but I'll wait nxt year to see what happens and Joan Senior has just died to the ground. Oh and I was floored to see that the Akitva Oriental Lilies were dark maroon Stargazers instead. What a big disappointment!! I also ordered the Karley Rose Grass which I started in a pot
and later planted which is doing ok so far. I hope they will refund me for all my labor in planting them.
Company representative comment on August 26, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 5:28 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Please call us, as you have posted this without trying to work this out with and we don't know who you are. We like to work with our customer but we can't when you just post negative comments without trying to contact us to work things out. We have check our data base to find out who you are but have had no orders from Henrico, VA in the last two years. So when were these plants order and why don't you just call us? We hate when our customers are disappointed. 1.888.449.4537 or Greg Jones Owner 1.417.548.3517 or gregj@gilberthwild.com

On Aug 26, 2013 10:09 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son added:

We have left this posting asking the customer to contact us and have sent a private e-mail to them via Dave's gardens but have heard no reply. I am willing and wanting to help. Please contact me.

Positive GingerMA
West Springfield, MA
July 23, 2013
I recently placed an order with the company when I saw that the daylilies were on sale. I bought about 15 different varieties, and a few of them were less than two dollars each. I didn't expect much since I didn't pay a lot for the plants. However, when I saw what was sent to me, I have to admit that the company way exceeded my expectation. First, the daylilies were extremely well packed. Secondly, many of the plants were double fans or more. They all have large root systems, including the deeply discounted ones. I couldn't be happier and this is definitely one of the nurseries I will continue to shop with.
Positive crowrita1
Lyndon, IL (Zone 5a)
July 20, 2013
I recently received an order from Wild's, and was quite impressed with the rapid response, order arriving a week after ordering! Plant size , and health looked great, and a nice little bonus, also. I was VERY impressed with the 1 iris that I ordered. It was "potted", and I've never received a "potted" iris before , from anyone! The rhizome was on the small side, but, the root system was amazing, and the leaves green, and healthy .The iris was actively growing,not dormant as with the bare root rhizomes one usually gets, and is growing at an amazing rate! I only wish they had a larger selection of iris ! Daylilies were nice, large fans, and the mums were very nice also...Thank You!
Positive lkfriedman
Washington D.C.
United States
July 9, 2013
Posted on June 28, 2013, updated July 9, 2013
I ordered about a dozen plants (hostas and daylilies) from Wild and Son. The plants arrived 6 days after I placed my order.

All the plants were large (compared to hostas and daylilies I've ordered from other mail order sources) and extremely healthy. The daylilies had 2-3 fans and lots of plump roots. The hostas had leaves on them and looked like they could have been dug from my garden the day before.

Everything was extremely well packed and labeled, and I received all the plants I ordered. Because the hostas had leaves on them, I could tell they were the correct plants. I won't know about the daylilies until they bloom next year, but I assume they're also the right plants.

I was very pleased with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to order from Wild and Son again.

On July 9th, 2013, lkfriedman added the following:

UPDATE ON JULY 9, 2013. I was so pleased with my first order from Wild and Son that I ordered a dozen more daylilies. Again, the plants arrived shortly after I ordered them and were large, healthy, had several fans, and lots of fat roots.

When I received my first order, I put the daylilies in pots (to nurse them through our hot and sometimes dry Washington summer until they could be planted in the fall). After 2 weeks, all six daylilies have new green shoots and two (different varieties) have even produced a scape with buds. Because I'm generally very pleased when a daylily that I order by mail blooms the first year, I was thrilled to see buds on a mail-order daylily only a couple of weeks after I potted it.

Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper (and gardener)! I'd order from Wild and Son again in a heartbeat.
Neutral bpsgarden
Laporte, MN
July 3, 2013
Posted on July 3, 2013, updated July 3, 2013
Posted on June 27, 2013, updated July 3, 2013
My mother and I have both order here in the past and have no complaints. This time I am very disappointed. I called before I ordered to find out how many fans they send when ordering daylilies. I was told at least two. I ordered five daylilies total. I received them in the mail and my first thought was how incredably small the fans were. I had ordered from Maryotts at the same time I ordered from here and received those daylilies a few days before paying the same cost (although more for shipping) for some of the plants but the ones from Maryotts were gigantic 2-3+ connected fans unlike the ity bity seperated fans from Wilds. Then I noticed the most expensive daylily was only one fan and came in a pot. Then I took off the bands and found out that only one of the remaining four daylily fans were even together - the rest were seperated. And to top that off the roots were all rotting except the one in the pot. The one daylily that came in two fans was rotting the least. There was rotton root chunks falling off the plants. I took pictures of the rotting roots, the dead rotting "bonus" daylily, the dying ity bity seperated fans of the remainder plants and then pictures of the daylilies I received from Maryotts for comparison and sent an email to Wild. Response was basically wait and see if everthing dies and we will give you credit (but then Ill have to pay for shipping again) or you pay your own money to mail us back the plants (even though you can see in the pictures they are rotten and on their last legs and maybe already dead in the case of the bonus lily) and we will refund cost of plants (but again I will be out shipping costs for both ways). I was also told that the daylily that came potted only comes in one fan (which was a pathetic fan at that) and he didnt seem to care that I called before hand and was told ALL daylilies come with two fans or the fact that no where on the Sabrine Baur lily page say that it would be potted so only single fans would be sent. The only good thing about the single fan potted plant is its roots werent rotted like the rest.
1. called before ordering to make sure double fans were sent but reveived only one connected double fan and one I only received a single fan
2. The roots were rotten on all except potted single fan
3. Wants ME to pay to ship back rotten plants if I want my money back even though I have pictures to verify condition of roots

I will never order from them again. They use to be a good company. I cannot believe they would ship out plants in those condition in the first place. They look like they were dug a long time ago not freshly dug like their page states and then kept wet so long their roots rotted. And then to expect the customer to pay to return the rotten plants is crazy. Unless something changes I would not recommend ordering here. If there is a problem with your plant YOU will be responsible for the loss even if it is their error.
On July 3rd, 2013, bpsgarden changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am switching my negative to a neutral. Without any notice from the company I received a check for the daylilies less shipping. I have ordered from them for the past and they were good. My mother who is a master gardener has ordered from them several times and has had nice plants. I understand that somethings happen sometimes but I was jyst frustrared with how it was handled. I am very thankful to receive my refund without having to pay the extra shipping back to the company.
Positive sequinqueen
Mountainburg, AR
July 1, 2013
Posted on June 25, 2013, updated July 1, 2013
Being the owner of an online company, I am hesitant to leave neutral feedback, but my opinion is mixed and neither positive nor negative.

We have ordered from Wilds for several years with mixed results. Many of the daylilies we have received, we have been well pleased with, but we will no longer order hostas from them, because the ones we have ordered we have paid nursery price for, and have been sent small plants that are still struggling years after being planted (whereas hostas in the same bed purchased elsewhere are thriving).

We ordered the peony collection from them in the past, and my opinion on it again is mixed. Most of what was sent was in perfect condition, and many were huge, however, we expected a mix of pink, white and red as the website stated, but the overwhelming majority of them were white. Same with the Oriental lily mix. We ordered it once, and now that they have all come up, the majority of the lillies are white, but disappointingly, most of them are also trumpet lillies, not the oriental stargazer-type lilies that we expected. We ordered it again, thinking the first time was a fluke, but these too are mostly white, and mostly trumpet lilies. To be fair though, we have ordered the oriental lilies individually (Rio Negro specifically) and these were indeed what we ordered.

My advice after placing several orders with them over the years is do not order the mixes or collections unless you have absolutely no expectations about what you will receive, and do not order hostas unless you have years to wait for them to catch up to similarly aged and similarly planted hostas.

I did not contact the company about my concerns, as it was far past the 30 day limit as stated on their website, and I did not care to dig the bulbs up and send them back.
On July 1st, 2013, sequinqueen changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

While I'm still reluctant to endorse purchase of hostas from Wild's, I've decided to change my rating in regards to the lilies. Yes, the Oriental mix was not what we expected, and was not the lilies shown on the site. However, after looking some of them up online, it appears that we received some orienpets that are actually pretty pricey online. Though we didn't receive the stargazer and rio negro-types that we expected, we got an excellent value.
Positive SheilaMae
Aiken, SC
June 28, 2013
I received my order from Gilbert H. Wild and Son today. It was delivered the exact day I was expecting it. I was able to track it all the way to my door.

I ordered 8 different varieties of daylilies and 1 Minnie Pearl phlox. All the daylilies were 2 fans with nice, plump roots. They weren't dried out at all. I'd say they had a substantial root system and the plants weren't overly stressed.

I plan on putting them in the new bed I'm making tomorrow. I'll let you know next Spring or even this Fall how they make out in South Carolina. For the cost, I was extremely pleased with my order. So far it's the most cost effective seller I've found. I did order from Oakes and they were very nice plants and all bloomed this year but they cost a good bit more.

So, I'm very happy today!

Oh, and the free plant was a pink oriental lily. Looking forward to that if I can keep the rabbits away from it!
Positive Herbertheilig
Spencer Mountain, NC
June 12, 2013
I recently placed an order with this company. I received their plants which were well packed and healthy but there was some confusion with the order. I called and discussed this with Greg Jones, the owner. I have never had such a positive experience when calling to try to straighten out a minor problem. The owner turned himself inside out to clear up the matter. I am 73 years old and have never had a person go so beyond what was right to correct a minor problem. I have since re-ordered twice. The owner is trying very hard to do what is beyond right to clear up problems. I am very impressed and will continue to do business with a company whose owner is so interested in his customers!
Positive ComoKate
St Paul, MN
June 8, 2013
I have ordered, successfully, from this company several times over the past few years and have never been disappointed with either the plants or the price. Most of the items I have purchased have been hostas, day lillies, and a few irises. All were fat, healthy bulbs, tubers, eyes that were so juicy they looked edible ! They were carefully packed and labeled. I feel this company has excellent products, prices and customer service. I am on their catalogue mailing list and look forward to receiving the colorful pages a few times ( different sales and such) during the season. I share the catalogue at work and with friends and they are always impressed with the photos, selection and prices. I will continue to order from this company as long as they are in business!
Positive MNWildflower
Kasota, MN (Zone 4a)
June 5, 2013
Posted on May 3, 2013, updated June 5, 2013
Oh boy, I broke my cardinal rule & ordered from a website before checking their rating on DG! I hope I don't regret it. For now I'll give the company a positive rating because placing the order went smoothly & I thought their shipping charge was very reasonable.
On June 5th, 2013, MNWildflower added the following:

Received my order a few weeks ago. Everything was well packaged & labeled. I planted my peonies & day lilies the day I received the shipment. All the plants seem to be doing very well & growing. Very pleased with my purchases & I would buy from Gilbert H. Wild and Son again.
Positive neohiogardener
Struthers, OH
June 5, 2013
I ordered a few plants a couple of years ago that arrived in good condition, so I gave them another order this spring. Again, the plants were carefully packaged, labeled, and arrived safely. All plants are doing well in my garden. Compared to other companies, the plants are a little smaller, but for the price, well worth the money. I have been happy with both of my purchases and would not hesitate to order again.
Positive cowboy
cairo, GA (Zone 8b)
June 1, 2013
Years ago in the midwest i ordered several times, with satisfaction. Now home deep in Dixie, In 03 I ordered at least once. The last two years I have ordered multiple times. I am well pleased! There will be another daylily order in a few weeks.
Neutral Carolsflowers
Brunswick, MO (Zone 5a)
May 2, 2013
I have ordered from Wild many times through the years & have visited their gardens. In July 2010 when my iris order arrived I had a mistaken item. I had ordered 5 irises. I received Congradulations instead of Conjuration. I most certainly can understand how this could happen. I called within 1 week & they kindly sent Conjuration. At least that is what the label said.

When it bloomed it was a beautiful iris, but not Conjuration that I had ordered.

Also in my order was Degas Dancer, a tall bearded iris. This turned out to be a mislabeled iris also. In fact it is a dwarf a not even close to the color of Degas Dancer.

I agree with the 30 day guarantee being suspect.

Obviously my blooms were not confirmed until well after the 30 day period.

I did try to email them through their website in Jan. 2013 to see if they could identify the plants that I had received, but my email was rejected.

I reviewed this as neutral in an attempt to be fair.

With 2 out of 5 items ordered being not what they were supposed to be, I will be very hesitant to order in the future. It costs at least 2 years of time to be sure of the plant even if they would replace it.
Positive jacintac
Fairfield, CT
April 4, 2013
I recently purchased the 50 misc bargain hostas. I received 50, but some seemed to have no eyes although most had one or 2. However, 47 of the 50 came up so although I had my doubts when I saw the bare roots, that's not too bad a showing for the very low price.
Positive jmwandtmr96
Chackbay, LA
April 4, 2013
I indicated I was anxious to get the day lily plants asap since I would be leaving town, but I did not pay an extra fee; nevertheless the plants arrived VERY quickly. They all are very healthy and the "50" was very generous indeed. If these plants don't do well, it will be my fault, not Gilbert's. I am extremely satisfied
Neutral dandjcritters
Perryville, MO
March 24, 2013
Posted on September 29, 2011, updated March 25, 2013
First off, Id like to point out, I am in no way trying to bash Gilbert H Wild, atleast that is not my intention, so please don't take it that way. Im just explaining my personal experience with them/my order I recieved through them. That being said.. Here goes:

I order 17 varieties of daylilies (Bela Lugosi, Bright Butterflies, Charming Heart, Country Melody, Destined to See, Jungle Beauty, Mateus, Missouri Miss, Pasqueflower, Prairie Tornado, Prairie Wildfire, Pumpkin Festival, Shadow Play, Siloam Viriginia Henson, Spiritual Corridor, Veins of Truth, And Martina Verhaert) and the fall oriental collection of Oriental Lilies (Akitva, Bernini, Rio Negro, Legend, Casa Blanca, and Penthouse).
Most of the daylily clumps were HUGE, others were pretty small. I would have rather had all average/decent size, then some monstrous and others pathetically small, but that is the gamble you take when ordering online, so for the most part Im pretty pleased. I followed the instructions they gave with them, even though Ive always heard from my daylily growing friends, to never soak daylilies in water the way they describe, but I figured if I didnt follow instructions and something were to happen within the 30 day guarantee, Then I wouldnt qualify to recieve a replacement, so I soaked then planted them. (which might I add is the shortest period Ive EVER seen, most places atleast offer a year, especially when ordering in the fall!)The lily bulbs are a whole different story... Either my hopes were way too high, or they just sent me a bunch of midgets. Either way, they technically were blooming size, and they will probably bloom next year, if they even make it(When I first started out with lilies years ago, I bought a bunch of the bargain lily bulbs at walmart in the spring, and looking back, those were a lot bigger then the ones I recieved from Gilbert H wild.). I hope they start rethinking their shipping procedure for lily bulbs since mine had several rotten spots on them, which im assuming is due to the fact they are shipped in plastic bags.We removed the rotten scales, and so Im really hoping they do alright. Ive never had any problems growing Lily bulbs, asiatics or orientals, so Im hoping that continues to be true. I did not contact Customer Service, because after reading all these reviews, it seems I would have simply been told "Just plant it, it will grow" or I wouldve had to pay money to ship them back, and take the chance of recieving bulbs in even more poor shape. So for the most part, If I were to order from them again, I probably would not order lily bulbs(unless of course the ones I recieved pull out of it and do magnificent next year, which in that case I will DEFINATELY order more!) However, if my daylilies do good, and if they are in fact what they are suppose to be, I may just order through them again. Ive been contemplating ordering other things in the spring, but I have all winter to think about that. Also, i noticed pretty much everyone gets a free daylily, So I was pretty disappointed when I got a free iris. It was in magnificent shape, and its shooting off new leaves and growing like crazy, and my boyfriend loves iris and has a ton of them, so he was pleased, if he's happy Im happy. We lucked out and it was a variety that he does not have, if of course the tag was right. I think that is mainly my only fear, that none of these will be what I even ordered, or most are the wrong variety. I guess next summer will be very very interesting and I cannot wait! The only real thing I was very very upset about, was the fact that after I placed my order, I emailed them asking when it will be shipped out. I was told late september because they will not have the lilies dug up to be shipped til after the 20th. Well at first I was mad because no where on their site did it say you had to wait til the 20th for lily bulbs, and I will admit I did get a little snippy with whoever I was emailing (SORRY!!!!!!) and I was told I would be emailed when my order has been shipped. Saturday, September 24th, I was awaken by my boyfriend loudly yelling "Wake up wake up! you got a package". As soon as september 20th came, I checked my email everyday like crazy, spam and my inbox, to make sure i knew when to expect to recieve it. I never once got an email stating that my order was being shipped, and of course, the package had to come on a day that was crampacked full of things to do (Isnt that how it always goes? lol). The plants were all in the ground within a few hours after receiving my order, and if I wouldve been expecting my order, Im sure i could also comment on how fast their shipping is,I only live 5 hours away though, so Im sure that isnt very helpful to people :(

So again, hope people arent taking this the wrong way! To sum it up, the reasons its neutral and not positive is because my lily bulbs had rotten spots on them and were on the smaller size (I even measured them..), and the fact that I was not notified when my order was shipped. If most of the lily bulbs come up next year, and bloom and are what they are suppose to be, and if my daylilies do good, I will definately change it to positive but that wont be til next summer, if I even remember by then. My advice to everyone that is considering ordering through them, try it! Every company is going to have complaints, not one company is perfect. Had I been notified my order was shipped, I probably would have posted a positive review to begin with. I had read all the reviews on here and discussed it with my boyfriend before ordering, and we were well prepared for the good or the bad. They have an outstanding selection of dayliles and there is something there that will be sure to please you. Good luck and happy gardening!
On March 24th, 2013, dandjcritters added the following:

All of the daylilies ordered made it, and about half bloomed last summer and appeared to have been labeled correctly. However, Not one lily bulb came up that following spring. NOT ONE. And let me just say, I have hundreds of lilies growing in my yard. Where I planted those, I have a lot that thrive, and do amazing. I ordered Oriental bulbs, and if memory serves right, there was 27 bulbs. I was tryin to be nice in my original post, but the bulbs were faily rotten when recieved. Never tried sending that back, because I shouldnt have to pay return shipping on something thats their fault. I will never order lillies from this company. Ill stick to b&d lilies and brent and beckys bulbs for those. But honestly, I probably wouldnt return for daylilies from them either, since I tend to stay away from companies that offer only 30 days gurantee. Especially if ordering in the fall.

Also, let me just point out something, take it as a tip if you will. This Greg Jones guy, the owner, or whatever. The way you represent yourself, and your company on here is pretty disgusting. Just by seeing your rude, hateful, sarcastic responses to CUSTOMERS makes me want to change this to a negative. But, I'll be nice and won't. Its just bad for the company, is all. I understand not everyone is going to be sunshine and rainbows to you, especially when they paid for something, and were wronged, but there are people who are kind, and patient with problems, and they're still treated with rude customer service. I know a friend of mine has had several orders that were messed up, tried countless times, very politely, to try to get it fixed, and the only time anything was ever done was when she got rude. So, I can understand why some of these people posted reviews the way you did. If you want to drive away more customers, keep doing it. A lot of first time customers come here, and with rude responses, the first thing they think of is "If I have a problem, is that how theyre going to treat me?" I know thats what I thought when I saw them before I ordered. And I was treated with rude customer service via email, to which, I got snippy. Oh well. Enough of my rambling, If I ever notice a change in this company, I might just order more in the future.
Positive SHELBYCOREALTOR
Fairfield, AL
February 26, 2013
I ordered several types of Sale Hostas from the Gilbert H. Wild & Son. When I opened the carefully and well packed shipping crates, a few of the plant's root were growing out of the pots. Some of them looked to be in critical condition, a few looked damaged from being jammed into the crate because they were so large. I planted them per their directions and a most of them did not make it. I contacted the company and I was told the ordered would be replaced in the fall due to them being out of stock at the time. Was disappointed I had to wait months for replacements but weeks before I expected, my replacement order arrived. I will only order Hostas from them. They stand behind their products and their Customer Service is wonderful. Other companies could learn from them.
Positive joebush2
Berea, OH
October 11, 2012
Gilbert H. Wild and Sons

I love our garden. I spend more time thinking and planning over the winter months what to plant next.

I ordered four beautifully photographed Solange Cream White Peonies from Gilbert H. Wild and Sons two years ago. In my mind that winter I knew precisely where I would plant them.

But in the two years it took for them to mature to the point of flowering it became evident that three of the peonies were not white Solange variety.

I contacted Gilbert H. Wild and Sons and explained my disappointment in their packager's error. To my delight they contacted me immediately by email, advised they would correct the error but would wait until fall, the proper planting time to ship these.

Sure enough the replacement peonies roots arrived, beautiful, big healthy roots, and they even threw in a sample of another peony.

G. H. Wild and Son is an old fashion flowering plant nursery, old fashion in the very best of ways. They are busy, so mistakes happen. But I would not hesitate ordering again(and again...as I find room!)

Two green thumbs up for G. H. Wild and Son!

Joe Bush
Berea, OH
Positive JuliaNY
Dundee, NY
October 9, 2012
Received my order of peonies today. Ordered 2 (Raspberry Sundae and Duchess de Nemours) and they arrived well packaged and I can see they have between 3 to 5 eyes as promised. They shipped as promised and provided a tracking number.

I'll come back next spring and report on how well they are doing.

Positive buxtehude
Pittsburgh, PA
October 4, 2012
Posted on October 4, 2011, updated October 4, 2012
Posted on March 25, 2011, updated October 4, 2011
Posted on August 7, 2010, updated March 25, 2011
I have always received wonderful plants and good service from this company. I repeat ALWAYS! Plants, especially perennials, are living things and take time to grow and develop into full grown specimens. In our instant gratification society, we want big, large plants and we want them now! A peony takes a full 3 years to develop, no matter where you buy it. Same with hosta and daylilies. Many people here on this forum expect miracles the first year of planting. With perennials, it just isn't going to happen.
On March 25th, 2011, buxtehude added the following:

I have made my order at Wild's again this year, and I can't wait to receive it. I live in zone 5, so it is to arrive here in Pittsburgh at the end of April. Their plants and their shipping costs are always reasonable. If you order $60.00 or more, you get free shipping. That is incredible in this day and age. I love their peonies and daylilies. They have great plants at fair prices!
On October 4th, 2011, buxtehude added the following:

Last week, I received my fall order from Wilds. Everything was packed wonderfully, and all arrived in perfectly healthy condition. I ordered Alabama Jubilee and Primal Scream daylilies, hostas Sagae and Praying Hands. Also ordered 3 orienpet lily bulbs. They were all nice sized planted. I planted the daylilies and hostas almost immediately, and we have had a nice soaking rain here in Pittsburgh for the past week, so that the plants are getting a good established root system before the fall. The total shipping cost was $9.00, which is wonderful. Most competitive nurseries are charging 2 or 3 times that just for shipping. I would highly recommend Wilds. I have never been disappointed in their plants.
On October 4th, 2012, buxtehude added the following:

I just received a fall order from Wild's. Daylily "Mateus", Iris "Betsey Boo" and "Beverly Sills," Hosta "Dream Weaver" and "Sum and Substance." All arrived in fine condition, ready for planting. Nice sized plants too! Even a free daylily, "Family Reunion" thrown in for good measure. I know of no company offering a freebie anymore. Thanks Wilds!
Positive mmarnold71
Lockport, NY
August 11, 2012
I just recieved a order of twelve hostas from Gilbert H Wild and am very happy with it.Well packeged and timely shipping.The plants where larger than i thought they would be and in great condition.I will continue to do business with them.
Negative sunnysunflowers
Twinsburg, OH
July 22, 2012
Posted on July 13, 2012, updated July 22, 2012
Posted on July 3, 2012, updated July 13, 2012
For several years I received the Gilbert H Wild catalog and enjoyed all the beautiful photos of the plants they sell.

Well, I finally placed an order with Gilbert H Wild on 4/17/12.
I purchased SAGAE hosta, THE JURY'S OUT daylily, and BURGUNDY LOVE daylily.

The hosta and JURY'S OUT daylily were acceptable but the BURGUNDY LOVE daylily, which I paid $10, was an absolute joke!! For $10 I received a "daylily" smaller than the size and thickness of half a pencil !!

I immediately contacted the company asking for a replacement or a full refund of $10.
They told me to return the plant.
I said O.K., send a postage paid return label for me to send it back.
The company rep told me, (quote): "Sorry, we do not pay for postage on returned plants." (unquote)

So.....they sent me a daylily that NEVER should have been sold to anyone in the first place, (it was actually a "seedling" and not a "plant"), then they expect ME to pay to return it!!

WOW!! Unbelievable!! Needless to say this will be my first and last time I will order from them.
Also, just to let readers know, this is Gilbert Wild's PLANT GUARANTEE as stated on their website:

"We guarantee to provide healthy plants and bulbs true to variety and in prime condition for successful planting. We cannot be held responsible for losses due to extreme weather, soil conditions, improper storage conditions or delayed planting. Please report any shipping damages or missing items upon receipt. If your plant has received our recommended care and doesn't perform to your satisfaction within 30 days, a merchandise credit will be issued. To receive a full refund of purchase price, you must return the product within 30 days. No complaints will be entertained after 30 days."

MY PERSONAL NOTE TO READERS: you may not receive your order until weeks after your order date. That doesn't give you much time to plant your item and see if it flourishes. What about bulbs? You can't possibly know how bulbs are going to do in 30 days!!!
The website clearly states they will NOT entertain complaints AFTER 30 days.

Anyway, I planted the pathetic little $10.00-BURGUNDY LOVE seedling hoping for the best....It died. :-(

I am very knowledgeable in the care of daylilies, (just in case GILBERT H WILD questions my ability to grow daylilies).

On July 13th, 2012, sunnysunflowers added the following:

My GOODNESS…!! Get over yourself, Mr. Jones!! Your tirades do not intimidate me!
You DO realize that people are reading your responses to the many customer complaints and taking note of how you handle yourself in regards to a customer-service complaint situation, (which doesn’t look too good, at this point). :-(
From reading each and every neutral/negative review for your company, I don’t get the impression that there is one customer who did not have a legitimate complaint. I’ve noticed most complaints seem to have a commonality.
Customers do not leave a neutral or negative review just for the sake of complaining. Maybe Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster would be interested in evaluating your business practices.
All that customers want for their hard-earned money is affordable, healthy, properly labeled, plants and MOST OF ALL, polite customer service!!
When we receive less than that, we are entitled to leave truthful feedback.
I can understand requiring a customer to pay the cost of return, IF THEY CHANGE THEIR MIND ABOUT AN ITEM THAT IS IN GOOD CONDITION, but it is an unethical (or at least a disgraceful) business practice to make a customer pay for return shipping on a DEFECTIVE item. (Perhaps your company gets a lot of complaints/returns and you can’t afford to pay for all the return shipping)??
POLITE customer service goes a long way, Mr. Jones. It builds confidence in customers!!! No one should have to tell you that.
It is so unbecoming of an owner to have a condescending attitude toward those who have a legitimate complaint.
Why don’t you just send properly labeled HEALTHY plants, right from the start? Problem solved.
In return, your customers will be happy to leave a positive review and be satisfied, repeat customers year-after-year.
STOP WHINING AND BLAMING YOUR CUSTOMERS!! It is so unbecoming and unprofessional…!!
Instead, take this opportunity to listen to customer complaints and learn how to improve the quality of what you sell and ESPECIALLY improve your customer service attitude.
Your tirades NEVER hurt your customers, Mr. Jones, they only hurt YOU.
As of July 13, 2012, I have not received my replacement daylily. Mr. Jones did NOT send a replacement plant, as he said he did. True to form, he never intended to send one. However, I will leave a revised review, if and when I receive an acceptable replacement.

On July 22nd, 2012, sunnysunflowers added the following:

On July 19, 2012 I received a replacement 'BURGUNDY LOVE' daylily and a bonus.

We shall see if it survives and blooms true to its name.
Company representative comment on July 3, 2012:
On Jul 3, 2012 6:06 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Our guarantee states 30 days after reciept NOT order date!
I have sent out a replacement! EVEN THOUGH -
If you order a shirt a JC Penny and it's not the right size, or quality you thought, once you get it, do you get to keep the shirt and also get a replacement? If you order a lamp from Sears and get it, and it doesn't look quite right and you want a different one, do you get to keep the 1st free of charge.....Why do you think that you can keep the plant???? I send a free replacement. Thanks for the negative...since we had should a great record and you wanted to blast us publically. Greg Jones Owner

Positive dcartphoto
Fort Dodge, IA
May 26, 2012
Thank you Gilbertwild for such a speedy delivery! I got my plants in less then a week! Packaging was excellent and the plants looked fantastic! I will be ordering more from you in the future.
Positive carolinemueller
Madison, WI
May 17, 2012
First time I've ever left a Dave's Garden review, but I was so happy with my order I had to share! I ordered 60 mixed asiatic bulbs which were good sized and wonderfully packaged, but the real winners were the peonies! I ordered a "mystery" set they had found unlabeled in a cooler to add to my cutting garden, and I have never seen healthier, larger roots! I potted them up about three weeks ago, and they're already two feet tall with 5-7 strong shoots form each root. They're going to be huge in no time. Thanks GH Wild & Sons - I'll be ordering again!
Positive JoeConLamSouth
Bartlett, TN
May 10, 2012
Posted on May 10, 2012, updated May 10, 2012
WOW wow WOW wow We LOVEEEEEEEEEEE you!!!!!!!
We ordered 8 Peonies and 2 sets of 5 and 3 peonies(They all l of 16 peonies.Con (my best friend) called me from work and said wow Joe the peonies are very nice and big. I was thinking to myself yea right I will see if it was true when I see them tonight (last night) because I have ordered alot more than him. I have ordered from Brecks, Michigan Bulb, bulbsdirect (came from Holland), Ebay and Amazon, When he brought them to my house and when he open the big box, We Were Saying WOWWWWWW when we both saw how nice and big all of the peonies tubers were. This is my first time ever leaving feedback on a company but Gilbert will get my business for now on. I (Joe) has ordered at least 400 to 600 dollars of just in peonies this year alone. I wish I had ordered from Gilbert first because I would have spent more on them this year instead of ordered from Brecks , Michigan Bulb and ebay which they are good companys but the peonies i have received were alot smaller than the ones we received from Gilbert.
Some of the eyes were broken off from the shipping but they will grow back .
I will buy from them again very soon. In my book Gilbert is one of the best!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sending us some nice peonies from the bottom of my heart.

JUST HEADS UP TO OTHER PEOPLE
It really takes 2 years for peonies to bloom really good and remember do NOT plant them more than 2 inches because if you do plant them more than 2" they will be green but will NOT bloom.
I just thought I would share it since I have over 300 peonies
God bless
Joe from Bartlett/Memphis TN
On May 10th, 2012, JoeConLamSouth added the following:

for some reason my post left out some info at the (they were all labeled) and the 5 and 3 sets were grab bags I knew the 5 (my) will be labeled since it was metion in the ad but in Con Set of 3 grab bag It wasn't mention they will be label but to our supprise they were also labeled :) I wish I have ordered more of the grab bags :)
Joe and Con
Positive monpenta
Saint Charles, IL
May 8, 2012
Posted on May 8, 2012, updated May 8, 2012
I placed an order for 3 rhizomes for the gold standard Red Charm peony on 5/1/12 and hoped to receive these in time for Mother's Day. These were nicely packed in a small box and arrived by Friday of that week! I unpacked them immediately from their airtight plastic bags (which were clearly labeled) because something smelled like it was decaying. One of the rhizomes had a bit of a squishy end but otherwise the roots were intact with a couple of buds on two roots that had already begun to grow. I called the company prior to ordering because I understood that Fall is the best time to plant peony roots because they need a cold spell. The customer service person explained that "these roots were dug up last season and were overwintered in a cooler - they should take off with 2-3 eyes/root and hopefully bloom this season because of the cold weather treatment." Enclosed were 2 free hardy bareroot lilies that went right into the ground at my house. The red charm are in 3 gallon pots for easy watering and transport for Mother's Day. Thank you for quick, reliable service! I'll give you 5 stars for speed of delivery and will give you a rating regarding quality of rhizomes when I can evaluate their growth and performance.
On May 8th, 2012, monpenta added the following:

Thank you for the quick FedEx delivery which is wonderful for the very reasonable shipping and handling fee!