The scoop on 'Gilbert H. Wild and Son'

Gilbert H. Wild and Son

3044 State Hwy 37
Sarcoxie, Missouri 64862-03638 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-449-4537
Fax: 1-888-548-6831

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive cchauck
Ames, IA
August 27, 2014
I love this company - I only wish they had a larger selection. The daylillies and hostas I've ordered from them have large rootstocks and are healthy looking. They almost always send more than I ordered, particularly with daylillies. Plus their prices are great!
Positive tundraplanter
Danbury, WI
August 24, 2014
I have ordered from Gilbert Wild for three years. Of the 100-plus plants I've purchased (a sampling of everything they offer from grasses to peonies), I've never experienced a failed plant! I can't say that about any other mail order company. In the interest of full disclosure, I've never spoken personally with a company rep because I've never had to. I use the mail order form accompanied by a check, and the plants always arrive around the time I requested and in good condition. I live in zone 3 and have ordered a few zone 5 plants from them just for giggles...even those have flourished! I'm real pleased.
Positive ponyhead
June 26, 2014
I just received my first order placed with Gilbert H Wild and Sons and I must say that I received way more than I expected. All of the daylilies were tagged and packed beautifully. I ordered approx. 45 sets of lilies. I was expecting one to two fans per lily. I am going to have to make another bed to hold them all. Some of them came in with three to four fans per plant. The root base on these plants are huge!!. I am from Texas and was expecting somewhat of a loss due to the distance and the heat but everything came in just fine. The free bonus plant is actually color coordinated with what I had ordered. The customer service is great. I called after placing my order and the young lady I talked to was very informative and helpful with my questions. I am looking forward to ordering my irises from them as well. I will definitely recommend this company to my friends. Thank you Greg Jones and thanks to your awesome staff for all you do for your customers.
Negative Aniela
Garland, ME
June 10, 2014
This is sad. Something bad has happened to a place which we really liked. We have ordered in the past from Gilbert H. Wild and were pleased at the product and service. Plants were beautiful and large and healthy. Because of such fine service, we expected at least decent service this time.

Please notice we tried to work things out with them on this before now. We tried and tried!

Something drastic has changed at that place of business. Whatever it is, we would never go back there so long as the same person was taking the orders. We would have to be assured of a great change before looking forward to their business the way it once was.

We now see from other negative reviews we are amongst others facing problems coming from apparently one person. It must have been the same as she dared us to say something bad on the Garden Watchdog and she would refute it saying what terrible customers we are.

Recently before we reordered, a neighbor cautioned that she received an order with dead plants and that we should beware. However, this was an anomaly surely not to recur, so we placed another order.

In the process of making the order, this time I talked with a person we now think may be called Debbie. I had a difficult time dealing with her, so talked with her boss who smoothed things out. Then I called again to add to the order and once again dealt with Debbie. It sounded as though all was straight and we heard nothing further until now.

I got word a childhood friend in France had passed away, so arranged to go back for the funeral. As we were leaving, we were surprised to see a box sitting in our driveway, checked it, found it full of plants in bad condition, and in need of urgent care to keep from all dying. That ruined our preparations and set back our plans. I was able to check them out and photograph their condition. One was rotted into mush.

As we were now ready for my flight to France, I took the time to call and explain what happened and was met with now a very hostile and accusing Debbie. When I mentioned the package came by surprise and at the worst possible time, Debbie simply shrugged that she had no way of telling us it was on its way (UPS) Yet I had contacted them numerous times in the past, through the only email procedure available, the one on their website, so they must have had our own.

It was Debbie with whom I discussed the order and final mix yet Debbie denied it and accused me of lying and trying to cheat to get free plants. This behavior surprised and shocked me as I tried to discuss only to be shouted down by a now belligerent Debbie.

I passed the phone to my husband who simply sought Debbie's name. Debbie had refused to identify herself but when he pushed, she said it was Debbie. She said if I wanted to talk to her boss I would have to call on Monday, and that was after I said I was leaving for France today. Then Debbie became argumentative with my husband as if we were trying to cheat and get free plants or threaten to report her. I told her in my 74 years I rarely meet employees who are so hostile with customers and who still think they are helping their business.

Finally she said she would replace the damaged plant and send the one she claimed was never agreed to, and for free so I couldn't report bad things to Dave's Garden and better tell them I got something free I never paid for. O.K. gee whiz, I got something for free, I guess.

Flabbergasted that any employee would talk to a client in such a rude matter, I cut the call as short as I could, realizing she will now sent the replacement and missing plant with the expectation I will not report to Dave's Garden. Well, she did send the replacement and a tracking number. The problem with that is it was set to arrive in our area on Friday of Memorial Day Weekend to be delivered five days later. The poor day lilies were two inches long and dried. I soaked them for three days and they are now planted. Our hopes are not high. Our resolve to never return to Gilbert H. Wild is very high.
Neutral ktinct
AMSTON, CT
June 3, 2014
I ordered a few lilies, irises and peonies from GHW. Some made it, some didn't, but I was particularly saddened that one of my peonies didn't make it... not only because it was pricier than the rest but I reallllly wanted that dang peony. I received the root last fall, it had a couple eyes on it, but this spring it was shriveled like a raisin. Of the 4 peonies from them, it was the only one to not make it. I emailed GHW to ask what their procedure was when this happens, since they "guarantee" their plants, and it even says on their site "all you need to do is let us know and we’ll make it right!" Now, I wasn't expecting them to hand deliver a beautiful new root on a silver platter, but I was at least hoping for some sort of human response. All I got was one sentence that they were done shipping for the season. This was end of May, we're not talking about the middle of July/completely out of season. And yes I know they probably get a ton of emails like that and don't really give a hoot about my peony... but in an age when customer service is of such importance, and the internet exists to air grievances, it would suit GHW well to have a nicer boiler plate response than 'we're not shipping' and possibly some sort of solution, especially if you tout "guarantees" on your website. So if you're looking for cheap flowers, this is the place to go, or better yet might as well just go to the big box gardens, customer service is apparently all the same around here. But if you do shop GHW and you're excited for one particular kind of flower, order a few because you never know what will come up next year.
Neutral mrsplum
Seattle, WA
June 1, 2014
Recently received an order of lily bulbs and daylilies from this company. Compared to daylilies I had ordered from another company, I thought the ones I received from Gilbert Wild were rather puny. The lily bulbs were small, but they were the size advertised. Package was very messy to unpack.
Neutral mockswede
Brewer, ME
May 28, 2014
First order. #110 daylilies for $230. Shipper must have rolled and dropped shipping box repeatedly - looked like a cardboard 'potato'! Not impressed. Opened box and removed contents - looked like the rough handling didn't hurt contents amidst the dampish shredded newsprint. Checked plants and really surprised they weren't more disarranged. None of the fans slipped out of the white identification tag wrapped around them. The packing methodology helped with that. With that check, I have been surprised by the small size of the bare root plants. The largest variety is about 13 long; that was only one set of 6 of one variety. The majority are 8 or so. A few are about 6 in. None are what I'd call 'robust' or even 'vigorous', except that one largest set. I'm soaking them now to ready them for planting tomorrrow. Growth after planting will tell. I'll update this at the end of the growing season, I hope.
Positive cfruehli
Countryside, KS
May 24, 2014
I have ordered both hosta and daylilies from GW&s several times over the last few years. The plants I receive are always in good shape and I love getting the bonus plant. I'm very happy I found this company, the prices are fair and service has always been excellent. Since they are only a day trip away I'm anxious to visit their display gardens soon.
Negative InsaniD
Columbia, MO
May 13, 2014
Posted on May 12, 2014, updated May 13, 2014
Posted on May 12, 2014, updated May 12, 2014
Tiny plants, for example, 'The Blues' grass was less than an inch across and the Butterfly Weed was 2.5" tall - a seedling plug stuck in a larger pot - no new roots even.

Poorly packed, loose soil all over and plants were out of pots and one was broken.

Mining insect infecting the Trollius.

Not "Field Grown" as advertised, and when asked about that, no reply.

Guarantee? As store credit, meaning an unhappy customer has to order again. How does this make it "right"? If I am unhappy now, why would you think this would make me happy?

So, overall, I wouldn't really recommend ordering from this outfit unless you Like getting bent over the rail.
On May 12th, 2014, InsaniD added the following:

It has been about 2 hours since I originally posted this review.

I must add to it, now.

In my previous emails to this company I had very simply and politely explained my issue and made no demands; I left it open for them to reply as they would - I generally find that approach works well. I was sent back an email saying "We have given you a credit".

Now, I had not thoroughly read their policies, etc, I had only skimmed them, so did not notice the refund policy beyond the fact that they had one - my bad, I will admit that. However, as I've dealt with several online outfits in the past, and the policy pretty much across the board has been refund or replacement (and NO, they didn't want their plants back! At most a photo was enough, and several places just take your word for it. (See this companies replies to negative comments if this confuses you - look for a reference to JC Penny's).

So I assumed that the credit was back to my Paypal account, from which I made the purchase. But when I noticed that no refund had been issued, I sent a polite email asking what was up. I was told it was "on account for the next time you order". That is sort of assuming I plan to order again, isn't it? I replied and said I didn't think it likely I would be ordering from them in the future (I'm not into particularly into hostas, lilies or peonies, which they do have a great selection of, and they do not have a great number of perennial selections, which I do like) and since I thought the plants were too small for the price, as well, I wasn't planning to order from them again. I closed with a "Thank you, anyway."

But I waited an hour before posting a review, to see if I would get any sort of reply to my last email (they do answer emails quite quickly). I did not get a reply, so I came here and posted my overall review.

However, within an hour of this review being posted, the company called the home phone, and left a message for me to call them. I was not really thinking of returning the call; I had moved on already. I purchased, I received, I communicated, and I reviewed. This experience was over with, to my mind.

Then, just a little while after getting the call, I get a Paypal notification. The company refunded the entire amount of my purchase. All of it. Every red cent. Including the shipping.

Now, however strange this might sound, this does not make me feel any better about the whole experience at all. I'm not one to look for a way to take advantage of others or feel like I may have done so. But I also want to feel like I got what I paid for, and if I do not, I want to be treated fairly and come to an agreement that both parties can be comfortable with. This response was unreasonable and sort of insulting. All or nothing? Really? How does that make sense from a business view point? If they had simply issued a true refund, even a partial refund for the tiny grass or butterfly weed to make good on their ridiculously tiny size), I would have been satisfied. In fact, in my original email to them, I opened with, "Hello. I received my box of plants today, and overall I am pleased."

If they had simply issued the "credit" to my Paypal they would have only suffered an $8 loss; instead, they've chosen to take a $44 loss. Had they refunded the $8 in the first place, they would also have gotten a better rating from me, and while the review would have read the same, I could have instead said something positive, like, "Gave a refund on the plants I was unhappy with."

A case of way too much, a little too late.

So now I don't know how to feel or what to think. Except that I will not be doing business with them again...
On May 13th, 2014, InsaniD added the following:

The only thing this person has said that was true is that they have refunded my purchase price in full. And that I reviewed after the process was complete. Not going to leave a review the day or even week I get my plants, unless the service and plants were just that good. And it was not and these were not. See original review, etc.

I will GLADLY forward the string of email to whomever would like it (DMAIL Me) so they can see that other than offering the In Store Credit, I was NEVER even offered the option to return plants (though I would have sent them back on THEIR dime - not going to throw my good money after bad, you know? That is the suckers route. And they won't pay to have them returned anyway (they know people won't go for that, so they save a lot of money in unfulfilled credit, lol). I know of NO company that asks for plants back. Bluestone, Santa Rosa, David Austin, Spring Hill - all companies that COMPLETELY stand by their product and don't ask for anything but Maybe a PHOTO of the damaged plants, and they talk to you to try to figure out what went wrong. These guys didn't "try to work with me", trust me, they just want to make themselves look good by bad-mouthing me, as they do to every negative comment that has been left. According to them, their poop DOES NOT stink - but the unhappy customer's does...And this company has said in other comments that if you were to purchase something from Sears, or JC Penny's, and you didn't like it, you would be expected to return it for a refund. This is true. But what they seem to forget is that THESE COMPANIES ISSUE RETURN SLIPS SO SHIPPING BACK DOESN'T COST THE CUSTOMER ANY MORE MONEY. Or you can simply walk into any storefront and return it. If Wildes wants to issue me a return slip, I will happily put the plants in a box and ship them back. But as I said, I'm not going to spend $10 to get $8 back. That is just craziness.

And I love the "claims" of customer satisfaction, lol. You can spout any number you want, but the proof is in the pudding, as they say. 1 person in 5 (25%) of people who left reviews here on Dave's were UNSATISFIED.
GET THAT? TWENTY FIVE Percent HATE Your Company. Now add in the NEUTRALS and you get 35%. Which is ONE IN THREE who probably wouldn't waste their money buying from you again.

But that is the point, right? You won't have to make good on all those "credits" with your ridiculous "return" policy. The kind of policy shysters use.

Numbers don't lie. But this company does. For shame, to invoke God's name whilst LYING.
Company representative comment on May 13, 2014:
On May 13, 2014 3:55 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Well we really tried this spring to make it without one negative, we have shipped 8,847 packages thru this morning without one negative, until yesterday. We tried to work with Dea as well. We did exactly what the 1 year guarantee said we would do, We offered her a full refund on any plant that she did not like if it was returned or in store credit for any plant she did not like but was not willing to return. We changed our guarantee because of recommendations from Dave's Gardens fans, and it really hard to give some one all of their money back if they want to keep the plant. So we gave a in store credit. She posted the negative when she discovered we gave her an in store credit, not when she got the plants or after she planted them, WE HAVE NOW RETURNED HER MONEY IN FULL VIA PAYPAL. We appreciate Dave's Gardens Fans, and we work very had to please all of our customers, who else post the owner direct line number (417) 548-3517 Good Gardening and God's Blessings! Greg Jones Owner 1out of 8847, if this was baseball we be great....but I lose sleep over complaints like this!

Positive buxtehude
Pittsburgh, PA
May 12, 2014
Posted on October 4, 2012, updated May 12, 2014
Posted on October 4, 2011, updated October 4, 2012
Posted on March 25, 2011, updated October 4, 2011
Posted on August 7, 2010, updated March 25, 2011
I have always received wonderful plants and good service from this company. I repeat ALWAYS! Plants, especially perennials, are living things and take time to grow and develop into full grown specimens. In our instant gratification society, we want big, large plants and we want them now! A peony takes a full 3 years to develop, no matter where you buy it. Same with hosta and daylilies. Many people here on this forum expect miracles the first year of planting. With perennials, it just isn't going to happen.
On March 25th, 2011, buxtehude added the following:

I have made my order at Wild's again this year, and I can't wait to receive it. I live in zone 5, so it is to arrive here in Pittsburgh at the end of April. Their plants and their shipping costs are always reasonable. If you order $60.00 or more, you get free shipping. That is incredible in this day and age. I love their peonies and daylilies. They have great plants at fair prices!
On October 4th, 2011, buxtehude added the following:

Last week, I received my fall order from Wilds. Everything was packed wonderfully, and all arrived in perfectly healthy condition. I ordered Alabama Jubilee and Primal Scream daylilies, hostas Sagae and Praying Hands. Also ordered 3 orienpet lily bulbs. They were all nice sized planted. I planted the daylilies and hostas almost immediately, and we have had a nice soaking rain here in Pittsburgh for the past week, so that the plants are getting a good established root system before the fall. The total shipping cost was $9.00, which is wonderful. Most competitive nurseries are charging 2 or 3 times that just for shipping. I would highly recommend Wilds. I have never been disappointed in their plants.
On October 4th, 2012, buxtehude added the following:

I just received a fall order from Wild's. Daylily "Mateus", Iris "Betsey Boo" and "Beverly Sills," Hosta "Dream Weaver" and "Sum and Substance." All arrived in fine condition, ready for planting. Nice sized plants too! Even a free daylily, "Family Reunion" thrown in for good measure. I know of no company offering a freebie anymore. Thanks Wilds!
On May 12th, 2014, buxtehude added the following:

Several weeks ago, I received my order for hostas, daylilies, dahlias, lily bulbs and canna bulbs. All arrived in wonderful condition. All have been planted and I could not be more pleased. Plus, an "extra" free daylily thrown in for good measure. The shipping was free, (save for the $3.00 packing fee on all orders), since my order was over $75.00.

Thanks Wilds. You're the best!

by the way, the hosta 'Komodo Dragon' that I ordered from Wilds about 4 years ago is HUGE. It is sill unfurling, and it is a grand specimen in my hosta bed.
Positive magickalgardens
Coleman, MI
April 24, 2014
WOW!!! I've found me a new company to order from. I usually only order from 2 companies. Glad I tried this one. Beautiful plants...great packaging! I ordered 26 plants...all great looking. I also received a free one. Thinking about placing another order now. I buy hundreds of dollars worth of plants every year. Yes it's an addiction!! ;) You can tell this company cares about their plants and their customers. So to Gilbert H.Wild and Son...I Thank You and my bees Thank You!!! You have a new customer for life. Look for future orders from me.
Positive mommyeleven
Columbiana, AL
April 17, 2014
I received my order this week. When my order was placed, I requested that it be held for several weeks, and this company did exactly as asked. My order was filled correctly and arrived promptly. Most of the daylilies had two fans, albeit small, and they all looked healthy. I am satisfied with my experience with this company.
Positive Lisa_gia
Burnsville, NC
April 17, 2014
I have ordered from this company several times over the past four years. I have received and planted over 400 hostas, dozens of iris, daylilies, lilies, and other perennials from them. I have been extremely pleased with everything! Each year everything comes back - bigger and more beautiful than the year before.

The quality of the plants and the customer service is outstanding. You also can't beat their prices. I plan on ordering many more plants from this company. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon their website.
Positive Lauribob
Twisp, WA
April 12, 2014
Posted on May 19, 2007, updated April 12, 2014
I ordered 6 or so daylilies last fall and planted them - they are all up and looking healthy. I ordered another 6 or so this spring and again got great looking starts. You can't beat the price from these guys.

Now the big test - will they be the correct cultivars? I hope so - if I remember I will update after they bloom.
On April 12th, 2014, Lauribob added the following:

I ordered several daylilies, a peony, a hosta, a couple grasses, and an iris this year. They just arrived this week and look absolutely great! Nice large plants - all but the peony & daylilies were in 4" pots, well packed, and arrived moist. The daylilies & peony are large divisions showing lots of green growth. I don't think you can do better for the price than these guys. I have bought from them for several years now.
Positive jilly_bean46
Connellsville, PA
April 3, 2014
WOW!
I ordered the bouquet of blooms daylilies 100 for $100. The catalog had a promo code which offered 10% off 100 or more plus free shipping on orders over $75. I also ordered a stargazer lily.
I received over 100 beautiful, healthy tubers. They were freshly dug and some are sprouting. The stargazer (3) are huge.
The order was placed on March 31 and UPS delivered them April 3.
I WILL be ordering from them again. Wow I am impressed.
Now if I can just get the weather to cooperate.
Positive gingerbee1
Back Mountain, PA (Zone 5a)
March 9, 2014
I have been ordering from Gilbert H. Wild and Son for several years. I have always received healthy generous sized plants, and even a bonus plant with each order. Their prices are always very reasonable as well. I have already placed my spring 2014 order.
Positive TheRectory
Stanardsville, VA
March 6, 2014
We love Gilbert Wild and Sons!

Everything arrives promptly (weather permitting) and is well packaged and fresh. We have always found the sizes of their offerings to be appropriate and very often they are larger than expected with the plants they sent being able to be safely divided into half straight out of the box. So, on the rare occasion that something arrives on the small size (and it is rare) Gilbert Wild has more than made up for it in other ways.

Our viability/success rate where Gilbert Wild is concerned has also been impressive with nearly 100% of their products not just living but thriving. We use quarantine pots for everything that we bring into our gardens to make sure that things are OK before we plant them. The root growth we get from their offerings knocks pretty much every competitor out of the water (or soil) as far as we are concerned.

Our first order for 2014 has been submitted and will arrive sometime next month. I suspect that another order (or three) will be sent in shortly. With over 1.5 acres of gardens to build from scratch, we are fortunate to have found a quality vendor like Gilbert Wild and Sons with which to do business and we look forward to continuing to be loyal customers for many years to come.

Happy gardening, everyone!
Negative lyph
Ithaca, NY (Zone 5a)
February 8, 2014
I was absolutely astonished to open an email from this company today, and find an advertisement for a pyramid scheme beauty product, endorsed by the owner and sold by a family member! I immediately 'unsubscribed', and will not consider ordering from this company again. I have enough problem protecting myself from unwanted computer spam to allow it in via an established gardening supplier who has my contact information.

Shame on Gilbert Wild.
Company representative comment on February 8, 2014:
On Feb 8, 2014 3:54 PM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

We are so sorry that you feel this way. I just wanted to help my daughter start in a product we believe in, as we are very family oriented. I thought my customers would appreciate learning about this new product.

Positive MommaCat88
Minneapolis, MN
February 5, 2014
I have never reviewed a plant company before, but after getting my Gilbert H. Wild catalog yesterday, I felt compelled to become a Dave's Garden member so I could tell you why I didn't toss the Wild catalog in the recycle bin.

I have previously ordered from this company. If forced to review them, I would have given a neutral rating. Why? They sent very large peonies, nice hosta and, usually, pretty nice Daylilies. Sometimes I felt they were a little small, but for $3.50, I got to try a new variety. Sometimes they were very nice sized. My issue was their 30 day guarantee. Peonies almost never bloom the first year. The Daylilies would not bloom in 30 days. I had a few Daylilies and a peony bloom in a color other than pictured in the catalog. I read reviews here and decided not to contact customer service. Their guarantee clearly stated 30 days. I knew that.

I had no intention of ever ordering from Wild again, since their guarantee didn't meet my needs. I couldn't resist looking through the catalog before recycling it. They do put out a nice catalog. I am so glad I looked through it. The owner has a letter on the inside cover. He specifically addresses the concerns mentioned on this site. The new guarantee is for one year! It sounds as if the business recognizes they needed to work on customer service and is doing so. I applaud that, and I will order from them again. I hope others give them a try.

As stated in the guidelines for writing a review, it is only fair to try working issues out with a company before blasting them in a public forum. This company does send quality plants. I really respect the fact that they are working so diligently to win back old customers and earn the trust of new ones.

Positive shastania
Miamisburg, OH
January 16, 2014
I have ordered several times from this company. There are good things and bad things about ordering from here. The overwhelmingly best thing about this company, is the dirt cheap bulk discounts on items. In particular, is the 100 hostas for $100. No where else online ( and I've searched pretty thoroughly) can you get 100 small, but decent hostas for $1 each. In fact its more like 105-110, when you actually count up your order, plus when you order at the right time, you can get 10% off and free shipping, which makes each hosta cost about 85 cents. I have ordered these 3 times now, and after about 2 years, the plants look like a $15 plant you would find at the local garden center. As far as survival rate, I had a 100% survival rate, even when a few of the hostas had root rot and mold on them, I planted them anyway and they eventually grew into large plants! If you have a large area of shade and want a beautiful lush ground cover ( and don't mind waiting 2-3 years), buy several hundred of these and watch them take over.
There are also bulk discounts on many other things such as daylilies, grasses, etc. These are what makes ordering from here worth every penny, and can save you hundreds of dollars when planting a large area.
The negative part of this company I find, is that when ordering single plants, they arrive small and sometimes not in the greatest shape, compared to the price they charge. I find that going to a local nursery, you can get a plant that is bigger, with more roots, and in a larger pot for a comparable price. But to be fair, I have ordered from many mail order companies, and they ARE ALL this way, so this is not really different than any other company.
What you have to decide is what plants you want, and search the local nursery's for them, to get better plants for same or cheaper. Then if the ones you want aren't available, bite the bullet and order from a mail order company. This company will be comparable to most others in value you get for your money. They are also quite good at customer satisfaction and helping you get replacements if your plants are not up to expectations.
The message to take away from my review is... If you buy certain items in bulk from Gilbert H. Wild, you WILL NOT find a better deal anywhere from a mail order company! Save$$$$$$
Positive mikesupholstery
Hartsville, SC
December 15, 2013
I have made several big orders from Gilbert H Wild.
Every bulb and plant was of the highest quality and always got a few surprize freebies They will continue to get my bussiness in 2014
Positive BoxTurtle
Woodbridge, VA
November 4, 2013
I absolutely adore the Gilbert H. Wild end of season sales. I have taken advantage of them a couple of times now, and am never disappointed. Their prices put stars in my eyes and I order myself dizzy. If I order three each of several varieties of daylilies, the box comes with three clumps of roots for each variety and most of the clumps need dividing until it seems like I am never going to finish getting them in the ground - my very favorite complaint! If a few plants are a tad smaller, then they are in the minority and well compensated for by the many that are larger than I expected... and of course I suspect my expectations will have been inflated by the big divisible roots I'm pulling out of the box! This year I got good-looking irises, hostas and daylilies, glorious daylilies.
Positive mousingaround
Springfield, MO
October 14, 2013
I have ordered 3 times from this company this year. Every order was filled and promptly arrived in excellant packaging. Sometimes I thought one of the plants I ordered was a little on the small side, and then I would see several were much larger than expected. That is not a complainable offense and I'm tired of reading about a plant wasn't just right or perfect. They are plants! Anyone who grows anything, whether back yard enthusiasts or a pro know that plants don't come in one size fits all. They are as individual as the customer ordering them. If the plant is ridiculously small then complain, if you happen to get one too large then be sure to complain about that as well! For some reason I bet that has never happened.
Negative kaybee3
Richardson, TX
October 11, 2013
The owner of my local garden center recommended buying hosta from the "Wilds of Missouri". He said he had received gorgeous plants from them - very full and lush. So, I went home and did a search for "Wilds of Missouri", which defaulted to GH Wild and Son. I had bought from them previously several years ago and the results had been mixed, so I decided to go ahead and try them. Besides, they had a sale! So, I ordered 18 hosta all together.

The plants were well packaged. The packaging was in good condition when the plants arrived.

The majority of the plants I received were really small. They are what's called "liners". They had been put in a
3" pot for shipping, but the largest majority had not been growing in that large a pot. All the plants still had juvenile leaves and a very small root system. The best ones had three or four leaves and were the least expensive ones. The worst one was a Komodo Dragon that was on sale for $10.00. Someone had trimmed all the roots to about 1 1/2". The entire plant, from the top of the leaves to the bottom of the root system, fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare. One had rot in the root system. One they sent me was one eye trimmed off a larger plant. It had some roots, so hopefully it will survive the winter and produce a plant next year.

I complained by email. I received an email from Greg Jones, telling me to let him know which plants were bad and he would replace them. I replied, but the email bounced with some message about "repeated tries, give up". So I called and got a snotty girl on the phone. I relayed my story. She took my list of 10 plants to be replaced.

The replacement plants arrived shorty after and looked better. They, at least, looked healthy. They're still liners, though and will be small plants for several years. I could have bought liners a lot cheaper than I paid for these plants. Had I known they were selling liners, I would have passed. They said their plants were in 3" pots, which is technically true. That's what they shipped them in, not what they were growing them in.

I would suggest you buy hosta from someone else. I will.
Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
September 18, 2013
Posted on March 21, 2011, updated September 18, 2013
I also received the $10 off coupon on 03-11-11, and entered it when I checked out. I had no problems and quickly received an email confirmation. I was happy they took Paypal, too. I ordered three peonies. They arrived this past week, and were very nice with firm roots and nice eyes. I also received a free daylily. I forwarded their coupon to several people, and they placed orders using it with no problems, and have received their plants, too. Gilbert Wild has a large variety at good prices.
On September 18th, 2013, ycn4chin added the following:

I ordered 5 peonies in May during their late season sale. All divisions were healthy with many eyes. All came up and have grown through the summer. I look forward to blooms on them next spring.
Positive scgreenstein
Troy, NY
September 11, 2013
Posted on September 11, 2013, updated September 11, 2013
Posted on June 2, 2013, updated September 11, 2013
I ordered some canna - maybe 20 altogether in various varieties. They were delivered timely, and now after almost a month in the ground they are starting to come to life. The price was good and they seemed in good condition on arrival. The slow growing is not Wild's fault - next year I will start them in pots a bit earlier. Last fall I ordered peonies, and almost all are up and several flowered (despite first year). Considering I don;t agonize over how I plant, I am happy with both orders.
On September 11th, 2013, scgreenstein added the following:

On September 11th, 2013, scgreenstein added the following:

I just received some peonies and iris for fall planting. I expected the iris sooner, but they were held to be sent with the peonies. The peonies had visible eyes (it helped with knowing how to best orient it into the ground) and the iris were in separate pots with extensive roots. The price was very good. I continue to be very pleased with this company.
(and 6 of the canna are in bloom now)
Positive pamtimes2
Jenks, OK
August 26, 2013
Posted on May 29, 2013, updated August 26, 2013
I ordered a 150 hostas from Wild & Son. Because I had over 100 feet of border, I ordered the buy one get one free and the unlabeled collection of roots. All of the plants arrived in excellent condition. The 100 roots were in 4 sacks of 25. I did note that there were a number of roots which had one eye instead of the 2 that had been promised. However in counting out the roots I found they had more than made up for that fact. They were all very fresh and within a week of planting shoots are coming up from most of them. All things considered I feel like I got a bargain. They also threw in 3 day lily starts. I have to admit that I was concerned because they had a fair amount of negative reviews. I am very please at both the quality and the price. I have ordered hosta roots from big name nurseries and those were not in as good a shape and for a much higher price. I give them a very positive review.
On August 26th, 2013, pamtimes2 added the following:

The plants have been in and growing for several months, I remain pleased with them, it appears to be a nice assortment of color and shapes. Faced with close to 100 feet of border, i am very happy with the result. The price was right - I think I got a real bargain.
Negative annamd11
Henrico, VA
July 29, 2013
Gilbert H Wild has very nice packaging but I didn't receive what I had ordered. I ordered the Pretty in Pink daylily and it appeared as completely peach with no ring. Prairie Blue Eyes was gorgeous in the catalog but very skimpy once start growing. San Ignacio did not bloom but I'll wait nxt year to see what happens and Joan Senior has just died to the ground. Oh and I was floored to see that the Akitva Oriental Lilies were dark maroon Stargazers instead. What a big disappointment!! I also ordered the Karley Rose Grass which I started in a pot
and later planted which is doing ok so far. I hope they will refund me for all my labor in planting them.
Company representative comment on August 26, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 5:28 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son responded with:

Please call us, as you have posted this without trying to work this out with and we don't know who you are. We like to work with our customer but we can't when you just post negative comments without trying to contact us to work things out. We have check our data base to find out who you are but have had no orders from Henrico, VA in the last two years. So when were these plants order and why don't you just call us? We hate when our customers are disappointed. 1.888.449.4537 or Greg Jones Owner 1.417.548.3517 or gregj@gilberthwild.com

On Aug 26, 2013 10:09 AM, Gilbert H. Wild and Son added:

We have left this posting asking the customer to contact us and have sent a private e-mail to them via Dave's gardens but have heard no reply. I am willing and wanting to help. Please contact me.

Positive GingerMA
West Springfield, MA
July 23, 2013
I recently placed an order with the company when I saw that the daylilies were on sale. I bought about 15 different varieties, and a few of them were less than two dollars each. I didn't expect much since I didn't pay a lot for the plants. However, when I saw what was sent to me, I have to admit that the company way exceeded my expectation. First, the daylilies were extremely well packed. Secondly, many of the plants were double fans or more. They all have large root systems, including the deeply discounted ones. I couldn't be happier and this is definitely one of the nurseries I will continue to shop with.
Positive crowrita1
Lyndon, IL (Zone 5a)
July 20, 2013
I recently received an order from Wild's, and was quite impressed with the rapid response, order arriving a week after ordering! Plant size , and health looked great, and a nice little bonus, also. I was VERY impressed with the 1 iris that I ordered. It was "potted", and I've never received a "potted" iris before , from anyone! The rhizome was on the small side, but, the root system was amazing, and the leaves green, and healthy .The iris was actively growing,not dormant as with the bare root rhizomes one usually gets, and is growing at an amazing rate! I only wish they had a larger selection of iris ! Daylilies were nice, large fans, and the mums were very nice also...Thank You!
Positive lkfriedman
Washington D.C.
United States
July 9, 2013
Posted on June 28, 2013, updated July 9, 2013
I ordered about a dozen plants (hostas and daylilies) from Wild and Son. The plants arrived 6 days after I placed my order.

All the plants were large (compared to hostas and daylilies I've ordered from other mail order sources) and extremely healthy. The daylilies had 2-3 fans and lots of plump roots. The hostas had leaves on them and looked like they could have been dug from my garden the day before.

Everything was extremely well packed and labeled, and I received all the plants I ordered. Because the hostas had leaves on them, I could tell they were the correct plants. I won't know about the daylilies until they bloom next year, but I assume they're also the right plants.

I was very pleased with my purchase and wouldn't hesitate to order from Wild and Son again.

On July 9th, 2013, lkfriedman added the following:

UPDATE ON JULY 9, 2013. I was so pleased with my first order from Wild and Son that I ordered a dozen more daylilies. Again, the plants arrived shortly after I ordered them and were large, healthy, had several fans, and lots of fat roots.

When I received my first order, I put the daylilies in pots (to nurse them through our hot and sometimes dry Washington summer until they could be planted in the fall). After 2 weeks, all six daylilies have new green shoots and two (different varieties) have even produced a scape with buds. Because I'm generally very pleased when a daylily that I order by mail blooms the first year, I was thrilled to see buds on a mail-order daylily only a couple of weeks after I potted it.

Needless to say, I'm a very happy camper (and gardener)! I'd order from Wild and Son again in a heartbeat.
Neutral bpsgarden
Laporte, MN
July 3, 2013
Posted on July 3, 2013, updated July 3, 2013
Posted on June 27, 2013, updated July 3, 2013
My mother and I have both order here in the past and have no complaints. This time I am very disappointed. I called before I ordered to find out how many fans they send when ordering daylilies. I was told at least two. I ordered five daylilies total. I received them in the mail and my first thought was how incredably small the fans were. I had ordered from Maryotts at the same time I ordered from here and received those daylilies a few days before paying the same cost (although more for shipping) for some of the plants but the ones from Maryotts were gigantic 2-3+ connected fans unlike the ity bity seperated fans from Wilds. Then I noticed the most expensive daylily was only one fan and came in a pot. Then I took off the bands and found out that only one of the remaining four daylily fans were even together - the rest were seperated. And to top that off the roots were all rotting except the one in the pot. The one daylily that came in two fans was rotting the least. There was rotton root chunks falling off the plants. I took pictures of the rotting roots, the dead rotting "bonus" daylily, the dying ity bity seperated fans of the remainder plants and then pictures of the daylilies I received from Maryotts for comparison and sent an email to Wild. Response was basically wait and see if everthing dies and we will give you credit (but then Ill have to pay for shipping again) or you pay your own money to mail us back the plants (even though you can see in the pictures they are rotten and on their last legs and maybe already dead in the case of the bonus lily) and we will refund cost of plants (but again I will be out shipping costs for both ways). I was also told that the daylily that came potted only comes in one fan (which was a pathetic fan at that) and he didnt seem to care that I called before hand and was told ALL daylilies come with two fans or the fact that no where on the Sabrine Baur lily page say that it would be potted so only single fans would be sent. The only good thing about the single fan potted plant is its roots werent rotted like the rest.
1. called before ordering to make sure double fans were sent but reveived only one connected double fan and one I only received a single fan
2. The roots were rotten on all except potted single fan
3. Wants ME to pay to ship back rotten plants if I want my money back even though I have pictures to verify condition of roots

I will never order from them again. They use to be a good company. I cannot believe they would ship out plants in those condition in the first place. They look like they were dug a long time ago not freshly dug like their page states and then kept wet so long their roots rotted. And then to expect the customer to pay to return the rotten plants is crazy. Unless something changes I would not recommend ordering here. If there is a problem with your plant YOU will be responsible for the loss even if it is their error.
On July 3rd, 2013, bpsgarden changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I am switching my negative to a neutral. Without any notice from the company I received a check for the daylilies less shipping. I have ordered from them for the past and they were good. My mother who is a master gardener has ordered from them several times and has had nice plants. I understand that somethings happen sometimes but I was jyst frustrared with how it was handled. I am very thankful to receive my refund without having to pay the extra shipping back to the company.
Positive sequinqueen
Mountainburg, AR
July 1, 2013
Posted on June 25, 2013, updated July 1, 2013
Being the owner of an online company, I am hesitant to leave neutral feedback, but my opinion is mixed and neither positive nor negative.

We have ordered from Wilds for several years with mixed results. Many of the daylilies we have received, we have been well pleased with, but we will no longer order hostas from them, because the ones we have ordered we have paid nursery price for, and have been sent small plants that are still struggling years after being planted (whereas hostas in the same bed purchased elsewhere are thriving).

We ordered the peony collection from them in the past, and my opinion on it again is mixed. Most of what was sent was in perfect condition, and many were huge, however, we expected a mix of pink, white and red as the website stated, but the overwhelming majority of them were white. Same with the Oriental lily mix. We ordered it once, and now that they have all come up, the majority of the lillies are white, but disappointingly, most of them are also trumpet lillies, not the oriental stargazer-type lilies that we expected. We ordered it again, thinking the first time was a fluke, but these too are mostly white, and mostly trumpet lilies. To be fair though, we have ordered the oriental lilies individually (Rio Negro specifically) and these were indeed what we ordered.

My advice after placing several orders with them over the years is do not order the mixes or collections unless you have absolutely no expectations about what you will receive, and do not order hostas unless you have years to wait for them to catch up to similarly aged and similarly planted hostas.

I did not contact the company about my concerns, as it was far past the 30 day limit as stated on their website, and I did not care to dig the bulbs up and send them back.
On July 1st, 2013, sequinqueen changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

While I'm still reluctant to endorse purchase of hostas from Wild's, I've decided to change my rating in regards to the lilies. Yes, the Oriental mix was not what we expected, and was not the lilies shown on the site. However, after looking some of them up online, it appears that we received some orienpets that are actually pretty pricey online. Though we didn't receive the stargazer and rio negro-types that we expected, we got an excellent value.
Positive SheilaMae
Aiken, SC
June 28, 2013
I received my order from Gilbert H. Wild and Son today. It was delivered the exact day I was expecting it. I was able to track it all the way to my door.

I ordered 8 different varieties of daylilies and 1 Minnie Pearl phlox. All the daylilies were 2 fans with nice, plump roots. They weren't dried out at all. I'd say they had a substantial root system and the plants weren't overly stressed.

I plan on putting them in the new bed I'm making tomorrow. I'll let you know next Spring or even this Fall how they make out in South Carolina. For the cost, I was extremely pleased with my order. So far it's the most cost effective seller I've found. I did order from Oakes and they were very nice plants and all bloomed this year but they cost a good bit more.

So, I'm very happy today!

Oh, and the free plant was a pink oriental lily. Looking forward to that if I can keep the rabbits away from it!
Positive Herbertheilig
Spencer Mountain, NC
June 12, 2013
I recently placed an order with this company. I received their plants which were well packed and healthy but there was some confusion with the order. I called and discussed this with Greg Jones, the owner. I have never had such a positive experience when calling to try to straighten out a minor problem. The owner turned himself inside out to clear up the matter. I am 73 years old and have never had a person go so beyond what was right to correct a minor problem. I have since re-ordered twice. The owner is trying very hard to do what is beyond right to clear up problems. I am very impressed and will continue to do business with a company whose owner is so interested in his customers!
Positive ComoKate
St Paul, MN
June 8, 2013
I have ordered, successfully, from this company several times over the past few years and have never been disappointed with either the plants or the price. Most of the items I have purchased have been hostas, day lillies, and a few irises. All were fat, healthy bulbs, tubers, eyes that were so juicy they looked edible ! They were carefully packed and labeled. I feel this company has excellent products, prices and customer service. I am on their catalogue mailing list and look forward to receiving the colorful pages a few times ( different sales and such) during the season. I share the catalogue at work and with friends and they are always impressed with the photos, selection and prices. I will continue to order from this company as long as they are in business!
Positive MNWildflower
Kasota, MN (Zone 4a)
June 5, 2013
Posted on May 3, 2013, updated June 5, 2013
Oh boy, I broke my cardinal rule & ordered from a website before checking their rating on DG! I hope I don't regret it. For now I'll give the company a positive rating because placing the order went smoothly & I thought their shipping charge was very reasonable.
On June 5th, 2013, MNWildflower added the following:

Received my order a few weeks ago. Everything was well packaged & labeled. I planted my peonies & day lilies the day I received the shipment. All the plants seem to be doing very well & growing. Very pleased with my purchases & I would buy from Gilbert H. Wild and Son again.
Positive neohiogardener
Struthers, OH
June 5, 2013
I ordered a few plants a couple of years ago that arrived in good condition, so I gave them another order this spring. Again, the plants were carefully packaged, labeled, and arrived safely. All plants are doing well in my garden. Compared to other companies, the plants are a little smaller, but for the price, well worth the money. I have been happy with both of my purchases and would not hesitate to order again.
Positive cowboy
cairo, GA (Zone 8b)
June 1, 2013
Years ago in the midwest i ordered several times, with satisfaction. Now home deep in Dixie, In 03 I ordered at least once. The last two years I have ordered multiple times. I am well pleased! There will be another daylily order in a few weeks.
Neutral Carolsflowers
Brunswick, MO (Zone 5a)
May 2, 2013
I have ordered from Wild many times through the years & have visited their gardens. In July 2010 when my iris order arrived I had a mistaken item. I had ordered 5 irises. I received Congradulations instead of Conjuration. I most certainly can understand how this could happen. I called within 1 week & they kindly sent Conjuration. At least that is what the label said.

When it bloomed it was a beautiful iris, but not Conjuration that I had ordered.

Also in my order was Degas Dancer, a tall bearded iris. This turned out to be a mislabeled iris also. In fact it is a dwarf a not even close to the color of Degas Dancer.

I agree with the 30 day guarantee being suspect.

Obviously my blooms were not confirmed until well after the 30 day period.

I did try to email them through their website in Jan. 2013 to see if they could identify the plants that I had received, but my email was rejected.

I reviewed this as neutral in an attempt to be fair.

With 2 out of 5 items ordered being not what they were supposed to be, I will be very hesitant to order in the future. It costs at least 2 years of time to be sure of the plant even if they would replace it.