The scoop on 'Bay View Gardens'

Bay View Gardens

1201 Bay St.
Santa Cruz, California 95060-4708 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $3

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark August 2010,

The website for this vendor is no longer active. If anyone has information or another URL, please use the contact Us link to inform our editors.

Comments:

Positive chadinlg
Los Gatos, CA
June 1, 2012
I have ordered from Joe many times. I wish he was more modern - but you can see pictures of his Iris on the Monterrey Bay Iris Society website. His catalog lists many of the newest Iris at very reasonable prices and he ships huge rhizomes.
Positive Terri2
Roswell, NM (Zone 7a)
September 8, 2010
I ordered the end of season surprise pacakge, I requested "newer and fewer" Iris, I recieved alot of iris that are 2007, 2008 ,2009 and some 2010 intros, all healthy,. Mr ghio is always willing to answer any and all questions,This is my 3rd order from him, and have always been pleased with my Iris.Will order again,
Thanks,
Terri Smith
Positive Mainecoon
Shepherd, MT
March 21, 2010
Posted on August 10, 2006, updated March 21, 2010
This is my 1st order with Bayview, the rhizomes were very large in size & had good root which is very important
for them to get established to survive my Wyoming winters. Will report back next year, but so far was happy with order.
On March 21st, 2010, Mainecoon added the following:

I am happy with Bay View Iris.
Positive MikenMyrtle
Myrtle Beach, SC
July 29, 2007
I have ordered before from Bayview and just received last week an order for this year. Just as before, the plants were large, healthy, and fresh, and I was thrilled with the number of bonuses sent with my package: two present year introductions and two more from the last two years. I think Joe Ghio's irises are some of the prettiest available, and I am happy that they grow beautifully in my area.

I will continue to purchase from Bayview Gardens.
Positive Tntigger
Greeneville, TN (Zone 6b)
June 9, 2006
Excellent place for newer irises.Also on my list of companies that I just have to send an order to every year: )
Positive terry94705
Berkeley, CA
August 5, 2005
I was geared up for a bad experience here. Bay View doesn't acknowledge your order or let you know when they will ship. I tried a small order with them to check them out. I must say I was won over when I opened the box. The rhizomes were hefty and even though it was a small order, gifts were generous. I got a two-fer on one plant--I assume because the rhz were smaller-- but even the "small" rhz were as big as some I got from another grower. I will order from them again.
Positive doss
Stanford, CA (Zone 9b)
August 3, 2005
Great experience ordering and the rhizomes were beautiful. The cultivars they carry are really tops and the prices are right. They were very generous with bonus plants and I'd order from them again in a second.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
July 21, 2005
The rhizomes I received from this company were large and healthy. They even sent several smaller rhizomes of brand new or newer introductions as bonuses, which was an unexpected surprise. The only drawback to this company is that they sell out of many varieties quickly, so be sure to order early!
Positive cls009
July 18, 2005
I was very pleased with my order, huge rhizomes were sent and they were extremely generous with bonuses. I will definately be ordering again.
Positive Margiempv
Oro Valley, AZ (Zone 9a)
December 7, 2004
I have ordered from Bay View Gardens for over 10 years now. Joe Ghio's iris have ALWAYS been fresh, large to HUGE, true to name, quarantees his iris, and has always sent nice extras included in each order.

His website went up for the first time, just this year 2004, and is a pleasure to view.

I will continue to do business with him. Highly recommended!
Negative AISMasterJudge
March 17, 2003
It has been several years ago since I last ordered from this grower. The plants were pathetically small and did not survive my harsh winter. Ghio's iris are hybridized and grown under the most ideal climate conditions in the world for tall bearded iris. Once they are exposed to the continental climate that most of the USA has, they often have trouble.

I will not order from this grower again although I was a regular customer for several years.
Positive jalb
January 11, 2003
Beautifully designed irises, large rhizones. The flowers from this hybridizer always stop passerbys in their tracks. I will gladly order again.
Positive barbaranull
October 1, 2000
I have purchased iris from Joe Ghio at Bay View for many years and can't recommend it highly enough. No color pictures so you might need to be knowledgeable about the newer varieties. The best deal is to send him a sum of money and receive his surprise package.
Positive marziek
September 1, 1998
My mother has recommended Bay View Irises to me for years and I was truly impressed with the very fine Iris rhizomes that I received. They are quite large and green, even after shipping from Santa Cruz to the Miami area! Their free gifts were quite impressive as well, including several smaller rhizomes of new introductions that are quite pricey. They allow you to request shipping periods, which is an important consideration for the working gardener. All of the plants my mother has ordered over the past decade have survived and thrived. She has never had a problem. Mine have not bloomed yet (out of season right now), but are looking healthy.