The scoop on 'E & R Seed'

E & R Seed

1356 E 200 S
Monroe, Indiana 46772 (United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Negative anorganicfarmer
Pennsylvania
USA Minor Outlying Islands
April 1, 2014
We're a mid-sized grower. We purchased from E&R for the past three years. Each year, I ask myself if it is worth the hassle. This year was the last straw. They shipped seed potatoes that arrived frozen. We probed them with a digital thermometer and they were 26F. We refused shipment. E&R doesn't believe us that they were frozen, even thought the low the morning of the shipment was 9F. They are giving us hard time about issuing a refund, as they have no more potatoes to ship. To date we still haven't received it. The part that threw us over the edge was that he said he has many customers that would be happy to have the potatoes that I refused. So, if you're ordering potatoes from E&R seed and nothing comes up, you know why.
Negative mrdoitall
Moores Mill, AL
January 18, 2014
This is all I need to know>>>OWNED BY MONSANTO OR SEMINIS OR SELL SMALL PERCENTAGES OF SEEDS FROM THEM.
Positive MistyMeadows
Payneville, KY (Zone 7a)
December 7, 2013
We have purchased from E & R for several years; we've even made the trip to their business. Yes, they are Amish and use a neighbor as their "answering service". The neighbor relays messages and calls back for them. We got lost trying to find them, but that was our own fault. We picked up a lot of seed potatoes and they were in beautiful shape. We also have several apple trees that we bought from them...we weren't as happy with them but we still have some. I think we bought 25 of them and the grafting done was not the best :( We had them shipped. We were finally able to get some apples this year on some of the trees. They are kind, but odd, folks.
Positive pswinton46
Waynesville, MO
November 16, 2013
E and R Seeds doesn't have a web-site, but they do have an email address: eandrseeds@yahoo.com. We deal with another, similar business here in Missouri; being Amish or Mennonite, they don't use all of what we consider modern methods. Yes, it's a little inconvenient to have to mail or fax an order, or wait for a credit card to be processed by someone manually, but they typically offer very high quality items at reasonable (sometimes amazing!) prices. They're just not in as much of a hurry as most of us!
Positive KittyManuel
Denver, IN
January 26, 2013
What is the company e-mail address?
Positive Agrinerd
Franklin, NC (Zone 6b)
June 21, 2012
I made two seperate bulk orders of seed corn by mail and they both arrived quickly and in good condition. True, their answering service does leave a lot to be desired, but they respond quickly by email. Their catalogue is HUGE, so call or email for one.
Positive gcs327
North Webster, IN
February 10, 2012
I usually go to their shop to buy my seeds. E & R Seeds are Amish. They have great standards, great prices and a very huge selection in anything you can think of related to gardening from the postage stamp gardner to the commercial vegetable farm. I live over an hour away from their shop. It is well worth the drive there!
Positive 57tired
Fishers, IN
March 19, 2010
I have used E&R for several years (have the coffee mugs to prove it). They are the best. I have used their plants, seeds, and supplies. When I send an order in, I send a blank check so they can get the totals right! They have never failed me.
If you call, leave a message, you will have to wait for a return call. This is a Mennonite family business. It is great to visit their operation. If you go, let them know in advance (1 week or better). That way they'll have your stuff ready.
Positive wiscgal1
Woodstock, IL
September 11, 2009
A relative in WI recommended E&R's Albion ever-bearing strawberries, so I ordered them for my northern IL garden. What fantastic plants! The shipment arrived promptly, was well packaged, and all the plants were healthy. Every strawberry I planted has been doing great, and the berries are large and delicious. Just picked some this morning (9/11). I also ordered bean & pea seeds - packages were professionally done; seeds viable, and grew to wonderful plants this summer. This company was easy to deal with (they hire out their phone ordering), and the plants were great. I am planning on ordering more things from them next year!
Negative gardener144411
Albion, NY
May 1, 2009
I can NEVER speak to anyone at E&R seed!! either get an answering service or a recording!! i didn't get my complete order, I called @ 4:30 edt. someone picked up the phone and said "uh Hello", not very professional!! he said he would get back to me, regarding my missing items, never did!! now after over 20 messages, still haven't heard from anyone!!! BEWARE!!!
Positive jboyer007
Potosi, MO
April 14, 2009
I have ordered seed from this company for two years. I made my main seed order for 2009 from them. Reasonable price, good service and no complaints about the germination rate.
John L . Boyer
Positive jimmydee
Ellenburg Center, NY
January 27, 2008
I have not ordered this year from E & R using my address, but have added want items to a friends order in the past. In my humble opinion, E & R's seeds were low priced and high in quantity and quality. In the past I have ordered from the "larger and more well known" garden supply companies, but E & R's varieties, quantities, and prices have pulled me in. This year my order will use E&R as my main source of seeds and equipment.
Positive SIVAD331
Winthrop, MA
August 24, 2007
WAS NOT GOING TO ORDER AS NO WEB SITE. AFTER MANY DAYS PROCRASTINATING I SENT ORDER FOR PLANTERS. WOW! WAS I SURPRISED AT WHAT I RECEIVED AND LOW COST. NEXT YEAR ORDERED SEEDS AGAIN PLEASED WITH RESULTS. THIS YEAR ORDERED VEG PLANTS AND SEEDS. MY WIFES FIRST COMMENT WAS THEY LOOK LIKE THE BEST PLANTS YOU HAVE EVER RECEIVED. THEY HAVE PREFORMED AS WE ALWAYS HOPE ARE PLANTS WILL. E & R BEST OF THE BEST LOOK FOR MORE ORDERS FROM ME.
BOB DAVIS WINTHROP MA
Positive hmeadq
Columbia Station, OH
January 3, 2007
When we first got a catlouge from them we were amazed with the low prices! Then when we could find no website or phone number we almost didn't buy from then. Then we saw the note that they were closed for Holiday's, funerals, and weddings. We realized they are Amish.

We have used them for 4 years for our CSA. On rare occassion we have had germination problems with seed from them, but very rarley. We still buy from them regularly and highly recommend them.
Positive oldtimin
Montpelier, OH
August 23, 2006
I have dealt with E&R seeds for several years now. They are only an hours drive from me and I look forward to the trip every year. They have a great selection of high quality seeds with large quantities and great prices. Lots of heirlooms.
Positive beetgreens
Kirksville, MO
April 27, 2006
I have dealt with this company for several years and have almost nothing but good to say about it. It has an ENORMOUS range and variety of offerings of seeds, plants and garden equipment and supplies (they send their catalog in three volumes just to list all their stuff!). Their prices are hard to beat--some of the lowest around, even though diversity and quality of offerings are excellent. They offer substantial bulk and quantity discounts on almost everything so both home and commercial growers will find them a useful source. Company is run the old-fashioned way by Mennonites mainly via papermail--until recently it didn't even have a telephone number much less a website--which may account for my only criticism: somewhat slow (though reliable) service on orders.