The scoop on 'Mail-Order Natives (Mail Order Natives)'

Mail-Order Natives (Mail Order Natives)

Mail-Order Natives (Mail Order Natives) has 176 products listed in PlantScout.

Lee, Florida 32059 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Company Comment, posted on March 28, 2008:
We are now able to ship all plants year-round!

Amy,
Mail-Order Natives

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Delisa
Wildwood, FL (Zone 9a)
May 29, 2014
Very fastest shipping. Very healthy plant with great root system. Nicely packed with biodegradable shredded packing which I put in the garden. I have told my friends about this company and will be ordering from them again soon.
Positive bradman79
Grovetown, GA (Zone 8a)
May 5, 2014
I have used this site to purchase several native plants for my new home in Zone 8A (near Augusta, GA). On all three occasions, the plants arrived in extremely high quality. Prices and shipping are reasonable and I will most likely use them in the future.
Positive KanapahaLEW
Alachua, FL (Zone 8b)
July 30, 2013
I just received two big boxes of the most gorgeous plants, and they came two days after placing my order. They were lovingly packed, and one plant came with flowers. Amy responded quickly to my request to change the order, and the next thing you know, the plants were here. I don't think it can get any better.
Positive mellielong
Lutz, FL (Zone 9b)
June 18, 2013
Mail Order Natives is one of my favorite places to order from. I raise butterflies as a hobby and they always have the host plants I need. They also provide native plants that are nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

For my latest order, I was told they were on vacation and my plants would not ship until the following week (June 16). This was fine by me and my plants arrived today (June 18). They were well packed and I could still feel a bit of moisture despite it being mailed through the Florida heat. I ordered Wooly Pipevine and Dwarf Passion Vine. I can't wait until the caterpillars find them!
Positive Rollandh
Wilmington, NC
June 1, 2013
I have ordered from Mail Order Natives three times: twice recently and last autumn. Their plants are the best value for price, selection and quality. They have a purely "native" inventory. All the plants I've received are doing fantastic, very little adaptation time--it's like they are native to my yard. Mostly I've order chokeberries, iteas, euonymous americanus, cyrilla racemefolia, styrax americanus, ilex glabra, ilex amelanchier and something called lindera subcoriacea (bog spicebush). No frills website and minimal email notices but the orders come quickly--they'll depart the following Monday and arrive on Wednesday. Mail Order Nursery has been a great find for me, they are definitely one of my top 5 online nurseries. If you want hardy native plants for the southeast this is a great resource.
Positive chuckrlane
Folsom, LA
May 12, 2013
fantastic plants! ordered again ! happy both times! plants were large and well grown. unusual natives that I could not find other places ( oh yeah, those" other places" sent mislabled material.) thank you Amy.
Positive mwmuck
Silsbee, TX
March 18, 2013
I have ordered plants from Mail Order Natives on several occasions the past several years and have always been pleased with quality, price, packaging and speed of service. I have all intentions of continuing business with them.
Positive Bev4
Roswell, GA
September 8, 2012
I ordered four trees from Mail Order Natives this spring. All arrived in very good condition. I am very pleased with the service from this company & the fact that the trees are all doing extremely well. They even included a really nice brochure listing butterfly host & nectar plants/trees. I would definitely order from them again -- highly recommended!!
Positive dwc47
Chattanooga, TN (Zone 7b)
March 16, 2012
Posted on April 21, 2010, updated March 16, 2012
The plants I received this spring were large and healthy and more reasonably priced than the same plants from another company. It was a pleasure doing business with Mail-Order Natives.
On March 16th, 2012, dwc47 added the following:

I know of no other nursery that offers such value -- large and well-developed plants at an extremely reasonable price. Thanks, Amy.
Positive VAFarm
New Castle, VA
January 27, 2012
I purchased 100 tree saplings from this nursery in the spring of 2011. I was VERY pleased with the plants. I was in the process of doing a large wildlife habitat planting that included over 1200 plants, trees, and shrubs. Of all the nurseries I dealt with Mail-Order Natives sent the largest, most healthly looking plants. I was very pleased with their service and would definately buy from them again. Highly recommend.
Positive pathologypaul
Signal Mountain, TN
April 25, 2011
I ordered a large order from their wholesale site superior trees. All of the plants were beautiful and healthy. I will definitely order again.
Positive V_barnett
Bay Minette, AL
April 8, 2011
Posted on March 21, 2008, updated April 8, 2011
Plants arrived quickly and in great shape. I ordered on line and it was easy and they responded quickly. I will order again in the fall.
On April 8th, 2011, V_barnett added the following:

April, 2011

As usual, my order arrived quickly and in great shape. The pindo palm was larger than I expected. Everything I have ever gotten from Mail Order Natives has thrived. (Except for the chickasaw plum my husband ran over with the lawn mower. I will be ordering another next fall)
Positive nwark
Fayetteville, AR
October 22, 2010
I have to say that I'm happy with my overall ordering experience with this company. All plants appear healthy, maybe a little beaten up due to several days in the shipping container, but that can't be helped. I ordered on the weekend, and received my plants the following Friday. I received exactly what I ordered, and got exactly what I expected. All were a nice size (especially for the price), apparently healthy, well packed, and with VERY reasonable shipping cost (unlike some of the others on here). The one caveat I have is the communication was difficult. Email bounced, and the phone number yielded an answering machine. I just chalk that up to the time of year. I'm sure they are shipping very large numbers of plants from the wholesale side of their business this time of year (late October), so I will give them a pass on that. Just glad they had time to get mine out the door.

They are definitely on my order from list.
Positive AlisonZinTx
Willis, TX
September 1, 2010
This was my first experience ordering plants by mail and given I was in Tx and this was in July, I was a bit worried! I ordered 6 Florida Shield ferns the evening of 7/7/10 and they shipped the next day. I need not have worried - they arrived quickly and were very well packaged. Happy to have found a place I can trust, thanks to the reviews here.
Positive mizar5
Merritt Island, FL (Zone 9b)
August 25, 2010
Posted on July 6, 2008, updated August 25, 2010
I had a great experience with this company recently.

Ordered 6 pine trees over the internet. They shipped fast and arrived in *excellent* condition. Very healthy and green and ready for planting!

I also spoke to a real person on the phone about my order (because I spazzed out with *my* end of the internet purchase) and that experience, too, was very positive.

On January 15th, 2009, mizar5 added the following:

UPDATE: Jan 14 2009:
I ordered 12 cherry laurels and they arrived FAST. They are all in excellent condition. They were VERY well packed.

Beautiful job. A pleasure to do business with.
On February 5th, 2009, mizar5 added the following:

Update: Feb 5, 2009
I ordered still MORE plants, this time over the phone. It was fast, easy, and as always, the plants arrived VERY well packed and very promptly. They were all in fine condition.

As far as I'm concerned this is a reliable, conscientious, company that does what it says in a timely manner.

Recommended.
On August 25th, 2010, mizar5 added the following:

New order of native shrubs placed via internet on Aug 23, 2010. Received the shrubs on Aug 25! They are healthy and fantastic. As always.
Positive Texasflowers
Round Rock, TX
May 23, 2010
Last summer we moved from MN to Texas - quite a change in learning about plants, flowers, etc. to grow in Tx vs MN. Ordered 4 American Beauty Berry plants in July from Mail Order Natives. They arrived and were planted in the hottest summer for a number of years! They not only survived the hottest summer, the coldest winter (for this part of TX) and are growing quite large and blooming!! So very happy with the service and plants received. Highly recommend mail order natives:):)
Positive yral
Southport, NC
May 4, 2010
I live in southeastern North Carolina and have been ordering from Mail-Order Natives for the last four or five years. All the plants I've received are very healthy. Several times I've emailed them with questions and always received a prompt response. It has been a pleasure doing business with them.
Positive killdawabbit
Christiana, TN (Zone 6b)
January 27, 2010
At the top of my list for natives. They were the only place I could find my long lost Bluejack oak. Their plants are very nice. Great selection.
Positive ronblagrone
Madison, AL
November 20, 2009
Looking for natives, they have lots. Ordered some sourwood trees, arrived quickly, container grown, packaged great. Emailed about other native things I want, got response quickly.
Positive Brennus
Plano, TX
August 16, 2009
We ordered in the heat of Texas summer and the plants arrived in tip top condition. Not quite sure how they do it, but there was zero root girdling. The roots looked like they had been grown in air.

We ordered beautyberries & they were budding new leaves 4 days after planting. Pretty good!
Positive Karyl7b
Dawsonville, GA (Zone 7b)
July 8, 2009
I placed an order in summer, the wrong time to order plants. Because of this I expected "leftovers", which would be my own fault for ordering so late in the year. However I received very nice plants which were a bit upset with being shipped in the heat but healthy enough to bounce right back after transplanting. The roots were in great shape, and within two weeks in good soil and being watered, they look like they were put in during spring. Had Mail Order Natives not sent quality plants in the first place this would not have been possible. I will certainly buy from this company again.
Positive probichaud
Madisonville, TN
July 6, 2009
Plants arrived quickly and in very good condition. Impressive in the summer heat!
Positive Hopi
Stanardsville, VA
June 11, 2009
I ordered from this company for the first time this year because they had hibiscus coccineus available and very reasonable. The plants were in great shape and arrived quickly. I would recommend this company to others.
Positive tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL (Zone 9a)
May 8, 2009
Wonderful plants, beautiful condition and mailed quickly! Highly recommend.
Neutral JayinFlorida
Auburndale, FL (Zone 9a)
April 1, 2009
I recently purchased a 3 gallon "Sabal Louisina" from them. The Sabal I received was really not what I was expecting after spending $40 for it. It only had 2 full fronds and the rest had been cut of and long stems were all that was left. The palm fronds are also growing in a weird, almost deformed way. I e-mailed them about it and was simply told that "It will put on new growth this spring-summer. Thanks for your order"
I really wanted this palm for my garden and now feel that I have a poor specimen for the price that I paid. I also noticed that I was charged and extra $5 for my "over the phone order" as compared to their site price... not sure why... It could have been worse, the palm was packed nicely, but I sure wish I would have received a better specimen and not one that I'm reluctant to plant in my garden.
Positive cbill
Quebec, QC (Zone 4b)
March 12, 2009
I ordered 2 needle palms and everything was perfect with a fast delivery.
Neutral mothermole
Deer Park, IL (Zone 5b)
January 13, 2009
I ordered a tree that I requested it to be delivered in April 2009 and it arrived a week later in January. I wrote my shipping request in the payment remarks as well as in the paypal remarks. The tree had a shipping invoice with it and even it had the April 2009 shipping request written on the bottom of it in someones handwriting but with a line through it and still they shipped the dormant tree.

I tried to contact the company via email and no one contacted me regarding this error. They clearly state that they have no guarantees for plants. I live in zone 5a and it is the height of the cold season and it would be insane to try to plant a dormant tree from Florida in this weather-the plant would be shocked. I consulted the master gardening program of Illinois as well as a horticultural expert about what to do for this tree and it was decided in the best interest of the tree to plant it and bring it out of dormacy in my home with plant lights and heat. It has been about 8 days and nothing is happening. I wonder if the plant (bareroot) is dead from being shipped in the cold and being outside my home for who knows how many hours before it was brought inside with the mail.

This company did send out a beautiful plant that was nicely packed and pricing seemed fair but overall the experience is not worth it to me because they don't stand behind their products and they don't care about their customers to return their email concerns. The best plant in the world with the most perfect packing isn't important if you ship it in the dead of winter without regard to the customers request. The plant will most likely die and I will be out my money, my time and still have no tree.
On January 13th, 2009, mothermole changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I recvd. a call from Amy with her apologies and an offer of a new tree in Spring. I accepted the apology and am delaying the offer to see if this tree lives or not. I am changing my rating to neutral until Spring to see if it survives and if it doesn't to see if they back up their reshipping offer.

Again, I will say the plant is in beautiful shape, nicely packed at a fair price. If it weren't for this shipping mix up I would have given them my highest rating.

Linda
Positive Eli17z6
Lawrence, MA (Zone 6a)
January 7, 2009
I just got a 3 gallon Needle Palm from this company and it arrived in nice condition. If you want palms or trees you should order from this company I highly recommended it to everyone.
A++++ Quality.
Positive arcadiacove
Maggie Valley, NC
October 25, 2008
After finding them in Dave's Garden, Mail-Order Natives has become my FAVORITE retailer. I just received 6 azaleas (3 flame; 3 viscosum) from Mail-Order Natives... after several disappointing experiences with others; Mail-Order Natives was terrific. I dealt with AMY by phone, who was knowledgable, amiable and efficient; I could hardly believe it. Quality, value, shipping... everything promised was realized. My plants arrived in 2 days in great condition. I have acres of gardens and regret that I did not find Mail-0rder Natives sooner. If you are seeking a hassle-free supplier of a vast array of flora, try Mail-Order Natives. They are my new best friend when it comes to gardening. Thanks, Amy! --Chuck
Positive min0u
Raleigh, NC
July 21, 2008
Mail-Order Natives is my favorite place to buy native plants. Their selection is extensive, and the size and quality of the plants I have received has always exceeded my expectations. This is a company that clearly takes pride in their work, and I look forward to purchasing from them again.
Positive Joylucile
Bristol, TN
June 30, 2008
This was a new company for me, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I ordered 6 bareroot native shrubs for a very reasonable price. The plants arrived healthy and very carefully packed. I am not used to bareroot with green leaves but I planted them and waited to see what would happen. These plants took hold immediately and started a new growth spurt. They have been in the ground barely 2 months and they already look like I must have bought them in at least gallon size containers. I can't wait to order more from this company next spring.
Positive rose911
Hamilton, TX
May 22, 2008
I BOUGHT 2 'NATCHEZ' MOCKORANGE BAREROOT FROM THIS COMPANY. ONE HAS NOT BROKEN DORMANCY AFTER 3 MONTHS. I EMAILED AND PHONED (LEFT MESSAGE) WITH NO REPLY TO EITHER. I FEEL THIS IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO THE COMPANY REGARDING A REPLACEMENT!
On May 23rd, 2008, rose911 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

On 5/23 the owner called and will send a replacement. She did not receive the email and phone message I sent previously. THANK YOU, AMY!
Positive Rebeccatowoc
Stewart, TN
May 18, 2008
The little Southern magnolia they sent is one of the most exquisite plants I have ever received, and beautifully packed to keep it that way. I will order from Mail-Order Natives over other nurseries whenever possible.
Positive okgardener2
Altus, OK
May 8, 2008
I bought a bignonia (crossvine) from Mail Order Natives' ebay store. It's a great plant and their prices were reasonable. I received it quickly - it was packaged well and looked very healthy. It is now thriving in my garden. I would definitely order from them again!
Positive massnorth
Topsfield, MA (Zone 6a)
May 3, 2008
Ordered three Sabal var. louisiana to test here in 6a, and wow -- these are great plants with fantastic roots. If any Sabal is going to establish itself enough to survive next winter, these will. Mail-Order Natives is also very responsive to questions via e-mail. Will definitely order again, probably as soon as they have gallons of Thelypteris kunthii...
Positive jerrytate
Lake Charles, LA
April 28, 2008
my first order.more orders will be made based on the high quality of my first 4 plants.
On June 11th, 2008, jerrytate added the following:

10 beautuful a. parviflora just planted at the fountainhead arboretum!
On October 17th, 2008, jerrytate added the following:

excellent plant material and service, again.
Positive downscale_babe
surfside beach, SC (Zone 8b)
April 12, 2008
Quick shipping,great packing,large healthy plants!

I'll be sure to order from them again.

Recommended for everyone wanting to grow more natives.
Positive jojoringer
Joey in Conroe, TX (Zone 8b)
March 27, 2008
My Crabapple tree just came in and is so much more than I expected! It is larger than expected, packaged like fine china, and not a leaf out of place! This will definately be my "go to" nursery for natives from now on!
Positive tootle
Jacksonville, NC (Zone 8b)
March 14, 2008
Just had my first , but not my last I'm sure, order from this company and am delighted. The plant is healthy, actually larger than I expected and the packaging was excellent. Thank you.
Positive esteve59
Annapolis, MD
February 16, 2008
I ordered on their e-bay site and had a positive experience as well.
Very nice Pinus thunbergii (Japanese Black Pine)
Healthy plants/trees ,shipped fast...