The scoop on 'Brushwood Nursery'

Brushwood Nursery

Brushwood Nursery has 257 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Brushwood Nursery is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

431 Hale Ln
Athens, Georgia 30607 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on March 19, 2009:
Brushwood Nursery grows over 400 different vines and climbers including many native species. We offer an amazing number of clematis along with an assortment of passion flowers, climbing roses, jasmines, honeysuckles and many other vines.
In some ways Brushwood is an old fashioned nursery, actually propagating and growing plants ourselves. This allows us to offer rare vines and to keep a high standard of quality.
In other ways we are very "high tech" using the latest in e-commerce web security, automated greenhouse equipment and organic growing techniques.
For the last ten years, we've been proud to ship high quality vines all across the country and look forward to serving you in our next ten years!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive onegoodman1955
Normal, IL (Zone 5b)
June 17, 2014
Posted on May 30, 2013, updated June 17, 2014
I've placed 3 orders in 4 weeks, so definitely satisfied. I grow clematis in pots and Brushwood has a large number of varieties from which I can choose. Packaging has been appropriate/ phenomenal and clematis have been shipped at dates I've suggested. Brushwoods is my #1 option for clematis !!!
On June 17th, 2014, onegoodman1955 added the following:

I ordered 5 more Clems this 2014. As always, packaging and quality is the best. Almost all of the Clems survived last winter which isn't the case with many of my other perennials.
Neutral itsmesue
Canton, IL (Zone 5b)
June 16, 2014
I am waiting to see how well the two clematis do.

The two plants I got seemed kind of "puny" and frail. I hope they grow well.

They were planted per instructions and have constant care. Will see if they grow and how well they do.

I plan on updating my rating by the end of this growing season -- or next year, to find out if they made it through the winter and how well they are growing and if they flower.

I have to admit I am a bit concerned due to how small the plants are.
Positive exfed
Germantown, TN
June 7, 2014
Recently ordered some clematis vines as a first-time order. Was very pleased with the individual attention from Ron, the owner, for his personal service and some advise he gave me. The plants arrived promptly, very well packed, and looking healthy with large rootballs. I will be sure to order from them again in the future . Excellent service and products at a fair price. This company is a winner!
Positive robeezee3
Englishtown, NJ
May 27, 2014
Posted on May 25, 2006, updated May 27, 2014
Fine vines in great shape arrived. Also received an email providing tracking numbers when the lot was shipped, so I was aware of when to expect delivery.

Brushwood followed up with a note inquiring if everything was ok with the shipment. THIS is what I call a classy mail order nursery.
On May 27th, 2014, robeezee3 added the following:

Recently ordered two ground nut vines. Plants arrived in excellent shape. One was subsequently dug up by a raccoon (I suspect he smelled the dilute fish emulsion fertilizer I used when I planted it), but I replanted it and trimmed it back and it seems to be doing well.

This is a great nursery.
Positive tjessup
Mount Airy, NC (Zone 7a)
May 23, 2014
I don't usually leave feedback, but yesterday I received my order from Brushwood Nursery and I was so impressed that I had to leave feedback (since I found Brushwood Nursery through Dave's Garden).

I ordered three clematis vines. They were very reasonably priced, and shipped right after I placed my online order. I went with standard shipping, but they still arrived quickly.

They were all very healthy plants, much larger (taller) than I expected, and very carefully packaged (each plant had a "shredded paper mulch" kept in place with rubber bands, that kept the soil in its container. Then each plant was wrapped in brown paper.

There was also a packing list and directions for planting. (Everything (with the exception of the rubber bands) was recyclable; and I plan to re-use the rubber bands.)

I should mention that I received an e-mail confirming my order, and also another e-mail once my order was shipped.

I'm on a very tight, limited budget, but considering my experience with Brushwood Nursery, I'll definitely be ordering more from them again; I'm confident that I'll be receiving good value for my gardening/landscaping budget.

Positive rdtjr05
Franklin, TN
May 16, 2014
Ordered three vines - Parthenocissus henryana, Passiflora incarnata Alba, and Clematis Bourbon. Have not been in a position to mail order in some time but I am so glad I did.

The plants were immaculate and very full sized in the containers. I thought the prices were very reasonable for the quality. The whole process was very easy to navigate. Would gladly use them again when I need vines.
Positive evansb
Buffalo, NY
May 14, 2014
Received healthy plants that were well packed.
Impressed with the quality and highly recommend.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
May 6, 2014
Posted on May 2, 2012, updated May 6, 2014
Truly excellent. the plants are extremely healthy and ready to plant. I'm already planning my second order. I ordered 1 rose and 4 clematis and I have absolutely no complaints. I will monitor their progress but if you don't see any updates to my review, assume everything is wonderful.
On May 6th, 2014, divvajacko added the following:

still great. I have ordered 2 clematis and they were in great health. I keep ordering here.
Positive floradora
Astoria, NY (Zone 7b)
May 2, 2014
The 5 clematis I ordered arrived at the beginning of April. They were huge and packed so carefully that it looked like they came from just across the street. When I unpacked the last one (HF Young) I was stunned how beautiful it was because it was full of blooms! They are all in the ground happily growing and now I am enjoying Daniel Deronda's blooms. If I can squeeze another plant into my tiny urban yard I will definitely order from them again.
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
March 29, 2014
Received multiple plants from Dan at Brushwood: clematis, jasmine and a rose. All arrived very well; great packing as well as communication in re of the shipping times and tracking. The plants were very healthy and strong root growth were exhibited. Would definitely order from Brushwood again.
Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
March 28, 2014
Posted on March 14, 2014, updated March 28, 2014
Posted on March 27, 2013, updated March 14, 2014
First thing, love the selection especially rare japanese variety that are hard to find. Plants arrived safely, healthy and quick developing after I potted them. Great communication, notify me when plants are shipped. Definitely on my list for future purchase. Recommended!
On March 14th, 2014, bluebuster77 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I'm still not sure my real rating on this nursery. Selection are awesome as I mentioned previously. Packaging/shipping excellent. Communication great. Prices are ok. Size of plants not so much impress. Max 2" sprout in quart size pot. Not very looking great but for sure I will make these grow. Which means I add more effort on what I paid for. Not trying to make clematis garden, just collecting few rare variety sometimes. So I wouldn't worry or bad feeling on what I received.
On March 28th, 2014, bluebuster77 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I have only two years experienced of clematis, so needs to learn more about trick of clematis. As soon as sun shine and warmer weather arrived, that 2" sprouts reaching 1' now. I needs bigger space! Thanks for the feedback
Company representative comment on March 14, 2014:
On Mar 14, 2014 7:06 AM, Brushwood Nursery responded with:

Thank you for coming back to Brushwood! I have reviewed your orders. Please note that you've ordered and received your plants each year just as the shipping season has opened. All of our clematis are cut back hard over winter. Each variety will be different in its response time to spring but all will be very short at the beginning of the season. Many will sprout only from the buds under the soil surface.
If you had requested and received your orders just a few weeks later, the stems might be up to the top of the stakes or possibly beyond or might even have had their first spring trim. In the past 2 weeks many varieties have gone from tiny stubs to nearly 2 feet of growth while others are just waking up. They're each a little different.
I'm glad you appreciate our service and selection of clematis and hope your plants thrive under your care!

Positive rosada
Cedar Falls, IA (Zone 4b)
October 26, 2013
Love this Clematis jouiniana praecox..... arrived fast, well packaged.
Positive VA_GARDEN
Hood, VA (Zone 7a)
September 21, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised when I received an E-mail letting me know a previously out of stock item was available, a really nice feature on the Web site. The order shipped quickly, shipping cost was reasonable, the packaging was great, and the plants are healthy.
Positive iykim
Hillsborough, CA (Zone 10a)
September 5, 2013
I have ordered from Brushwood (gardenvines.com) three times in the past, and I have always received very high-quality clematis and climbing roses. The plants are doing very well in my flower bed as well as containers. The plants are sizeable and arrive healthy. I was so pleased with the quality of the past orders, I just submitted an order for more clematis and climbing roses. I am looking forward to receiving these.
Positive angelica101
Stephens City, VA
June 13, 2013
I have purchased several clematis vines from this company and I would never go any where else! This is a high quality operation with very reasonable prices and excellent service. This morning UPS delivered three of the most healthy and strong looking vines that anyone could ever wish to receive.. I purchased a montana Rubens for my pergola, a Jackmanii for my front porch and an Anita for my back fence. Last fall I purchased a yellow Clematis Tangutica which wintered perfectly and is beginning to take off and is finding its way up my back steps archway. I could not be more pleased. I highly recommend Brushwood Nursery
Positive Gracye
Warrenton, VA
June 7, 2013
Outstanding communication, selection and web site design. Shipping was $10.75 US Priority mail for two plants. The packing and quality of the two clematis was top-rate, and the speed of delivery was, too!
My plants are very nice and well worth their cost.
I will always go to Brushwood for my clematis now.
Positive dem2rd
Naugatuck, CT (Zone 5a)
May 26, 2013
I went a little crazy this winter with mail-ordering! I was tired of the tried and true clematis selections of the nurseries in the state of Conn. So....online I went, and I have to say I was exceptionally pleased with my experience at Brushwood. Easy to use site, reasonable prices and shipping charges(although is there ever a good shipping charge?). The orders, there were two, made months apart, arrived the same day in awesome shape, really large root systems, green lush healthy foliage, much larger than the small pots that some other mail-order companies ship. There was great communication from the company, including tracking info. I would give this company the highest rating.
Positive Elaine789
Montgomery, AL
May 25, 2013
Ordered 2 Silver Veined creeper vines. Arrived exactly when promised and they were beautiful & they are thriving! Best packing I've ever received.
Positive ka2064
Druid Hills, GA
May 14, 2013
1st time ordering from Brushwood and thrilled with plants. They arrived promptly and were packed well. They had to wait a week for me to decide exactly where to place them and dig through the clay, amend soil and such but they're looking very pleased - pinched back a tad but recovered perfectly with much growth already. Great communication, prices & plants! Highly recommend :-)
Positive Missourimud
Stella, MO
April 26, 2013
I just received my order of the healthiest, best packed plants Imaginable. The catalog on line is easy to use with great service and reasonable shipping costs. No wonder they are a top rated company. I already am making out my next order. Thanks Brushwood Nursery
Positive esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
April 18, 2013
Superb plants, superb packaging. Don't hesitate to order from the.
Positive pbtxlady
Garland, TX (Zone 8a)
April 15, 2013
Ordered three clematis from Brushwood--Niobe and 2 Josephines. Josephine was the weekly sale, so the price was great. I am happy with everything about this order. The vines are a nice size. They arrived well-packed in good condition, ready to take off. They've been here about a week and all three have grown about 8 inches already.
Positive Dotindyea13
Skagway, AK
April 7, 2013
Received plants in excellent condition! Snowing here so it was like Christmas! Have ordered from other nurseries but Brushwood was above all with very healthy,well-packed plants. Impressed!
Positive cerealkiller
Ramtown, NJ
April 5, 2013
Posted on April 5, 2013, updated April 5, 2013
Pleased with the first shipment. Ordered a second shipment from the company. Another one of Dave's "30" came through again. Can't thank Dave enough for this service.
On April 5th, 2013, cerealkiller added the following:

Howell, NJ
Positive sherryocala
Ocala, FL
December 7, 2012
Brushwood ships very healthy plants that are quite large for a 4" pot,and Dan has been helpful when I had questions. I've bought several clematis plants and climbing roses and was very happy with all of them. I'm in Ocala, FL.
Positive Zone7B8A
Fayetteville, GA
October 13, 2012
I recently ordered a clematis that nobody else had and it's the biggest clematis I've ever gotten in a 4" pot in my life. It was in perfect health and is growing vigorously in the garden. Packing is great too.
Positive pasant
San Antonio, TX
October 8, 2012
The wisteria that I ordered arrived in excellent condition. The plant was vigorous, healthy, and well-packed. This was my first time ordering from Brushwood Nursery. I will not hesitate to order from them again.
Positive michfurn
Cottonwood AZ
United States
May 25, 2012
All 6 clematis arrived in perfect shape thanks to the attention to packaging. Delivered on time and very pleased with plant quality & size
Positive PamelaBaja
Sierra de San Pedro Mártir, Baja
Mexico (Zone 8b)
May 14, 2012
Plants came well packed-all are doing very well-Dan was excellent at getting back to me and resolving out of stock issues as well.
Positive champcooper
Houston, TX
May 9, 2012
Posted on April 20, 2012, updated May 9, 2012
Just ordered from them today but contacted them twice in the last day with questions. Very prompt and courteous reply. Anxious for my clematis to arrive. Champcooper Houston, Tx
On May 9th, 2012, champcooper added the following:

Update - arrived looking great and packed very well. A wonderful company to do business with and highly recommended.
Positive Dawn0007
Irving, IL (Zone 5a)
May 9, 2012
Exceptional Company! I purchased a Zephirine Drouhin Rose and it is just beautiful. It was packaged so well, it just amazed me that a company actually cares about how their pants arrive.

It is ready to plant and, I believe this company works for and deserves it's high ratings. I will order more later on and I will recommend them to everyone I know.

One last thing, I scheduled delivery when I placed the order and they in fact shipped on time, and it was received right away. No worries if you order!
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
May 4, 2012
Climbing Red Eden Rose and some Hyde Hall clems to go with it received today.

All in excellent condition. Everything with this company always goes very well. Can't beat them.
Positive cesaly
West Linn, OR
April 26, 2012
WOW. Jasmine Fiona's Sunrise and clematis Kiri Te Kenawa arrived exceptionally packaged and staked, with intact, moist root balls and vigorous new growth. What a contrast to the spindly, dried-out, sickly twigs I received from other online companies. Greenwood Nursery is my new standard.
Positive JonSchneider
Fleming Island, FL (Zone 9b)
April 24, 2012
Posted on March 31, 2011, updated April 24, 2012
Posted on September 17, 2010, updated March 31, 2011
This is my third order from Brushwood. which recently moved to Georgia from Pennsylvania. Dan did not miss a beat in the move and on very short notice provided me with top quality clematis... perhaps the best I have ever received! The packing is impeccable and the size of the plants very generous. Dan's response time would be nearly impossible to beat. I am not sure whether he is in your top 30, but he certainly should be!
Looking for a good variety of top quality vines with the very best service? This is the place! Look no further

Dr. Jon Schneider Fleming Island, FL
On March 31st, 2011, JonSchneider added the following:

It is late March here and I recently received my fourth order from this wonderful nursery. It was the same exceptional service with the best clematis ever.... the came with buds, are growing like weeds, and are already blooming. They simply cannot be beat and deserve their place in the top 30...
Dr. Jon
On April 24th, 2012, JonSchneider added the following:

One year later... April 24, 2012

The move to Georgia certainly did not hurt... our newest arrivals are of the same top quality and in six weeks time are in full bloom. Looking for clematis? The quality and varieties offered by Brushwood are the very best for their very reasonable prices.

Jon Schneider
Positive Pandasmom
Atlanta, GA
April 9, 2012
Ordered 4 jasmine and a clematis. Plants came in beautifully.. healthy .. full. Planted and they seem to be doing very well. Recommend highly.
Positive blueschiz
Landenberg, PA (Zone 6b)
April 6, 2012
Posted on January 14, 2002, updated April 6, 2012
A recent discovery for me... healthy, high quality plants shipped well and super friendly service!
On April 6th, 2012, blueschiz added the following:

I ordered from Brushwood again and I think these plants were even more beautiful than last time. The vines were fully rooted into the pots without being bound and when I unpacked them they were fresh and bright with just enough moisture - not wet or rotting. One of the two best mail orders I've gotten this spring!
Positive Annetten
Granbury, TX
March 30, 2012
I ordered a Lady Banks Rose from Brushwood. It arrived very quickly and was a beautiful, healthy looking plant. It was priced right. I would definately use this great company again.
Positive bowlan
Sunapee, NH
February 16, 2012
my name is scott bowlan sunapee,n.h.

i ordered two jasmine vine plants from Brushwood Nursery

these guys are Way over in GA so that's a very long Way to ship live plants.

i had my plants shipped a little early becaue they are going to be raised in my living wall indoors

i received the two Jasmine plants today Feb 16 and they were is better then perfect condition.

bright green and the vines were actually still sprouting side shoots.

they were potted in high quality pots.

the boxes they use are of the best quality and if you ever ordered plants you know the shipping box is the key in shipping.

they did a great job in packaging them and i would highly recommend every one to order from Brushwood Nursery.

they sell high quality U.S.D OF AG INSPECTED plants and know their business when it comes to shipping them.

great job Brushwood Nursery.

sincerely your Happy customer scott bowlan sunapee,n.h.
Positive pawprint5
Nevada City, CA
October 21, 2011
The 3 clematis plants arrived yesterday afternoon. They looked great. I am absolutely delighted with their condition, and the great care that was taken in packing them. Thanks for your
good work.

Positive odeymail
Ormond Beach, FL
September 19, 2011
I recently purchased a red trumpet vine from Brushwood. This is a wonderful nursery. This was my first purchase from them. The plant was shipped very quickly and when I had requested it. It arrived Priority Mail. The plant is extremely healthy and a nice large size about 14 inches tall. They charge only $10 shipping for either one or 100 plants. The plant was carefully packed. They let me know when it was shipped via email. I am very happy.