The scoop on 'Thuja Gardens (formerly PlantsRus)'

Thuja Gardens (formerly PlantsRus)

138 Red Road
Swannanoa, North Carolina 28778 (United States)

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive katharineppp
Stoneham, MA
May 12, 2016
We purchased 25 Thujas which arrived this week and they are all extremely healthy. I corresponded with Roy via email, phone, etc. and he was extremely helpful and responsive. Neighbors have been asking where we got the trees and commenting on how great and healthy they look. Amazing how they shipped and stayed perfectly in tact! I'll be back for more and it looks like a few of my neighbors will be as well. Thanks, Roy!!!! It's been a pleasure working with you.
Positive rkoller
Lincoln, NE
April 27, 2016
I planted giant thujas in Spring 2015 and 23 died. I contacted Roy via e-mail Fall 2015 and he gave me a link for replacements. I paid shipping costs April 2016 and within 10 days received healthy, vibrant thujas along with fertilizer tablets. Roy honored his guarantee and I couldn't be happier with the plants he sent.
Positive chancremechanic
Wartrace, TN (Zone 7a)
April 9, 2016
I ordered one pollinator for Nellie Stevens (the male equivalent of the Nellie R.Stevens) hollies and about 12 seedlings of Nellie R, Stevens hollies. Instead of contacting me and advising me that they have a minimum order of seedlings, and giving me an option of adjusting my order to include the minimum number of Nellie Stevens hollies, Thuja just sent the Male pollinator. One plant for huge box that could have possibly held the female Nellie Steven seedlings. The owner and I got into a pissing match because of his blunt and unfriendly replay to phone inquiry. I hung up on him, went home, checked my computer, called him back and straightened out the situation. The male pollinator was well packaged and in excellent health. I believe with better communication skills and customer service training, this place could be the Nellie R. Stevens of the mail order business. I admit, I was also at fault, but as the customer, I should have been handled a litter better in regards too respect. I recommend ordering from these folks, BUT...BUT...make a phone order and ask about exactly what you will be getting.
Positive JoanieO
Greeley, CO
April 7, 2016
I am very pleased with my 16 three gallon Thuja trees that arrived yesterday. They are beautiful and were extremely well packaged, arriving in perfect condition exactly on the date according to the Fed Ex tracking number given me. My communications with Roy were excellent. My emails were all answered within 24 hours. I would recommend Thuja Gardens highly with no reservations.
Positive tntreeks
Moss, TN
April 7, 2016
I ordered 70 trees or saplings. The trees looked great and packaging was the best of any I have ordered from other places. The price was good. Overall a good experience.
Positive redfish44
Deland, FL
February 28, 2016
I needed a couple of Thuja Giants and I liked Roy's price. His video was very hokey but it sold me on the idea this guy raises nice stock. I spoke to him on the phone about a couple of things and decided to order. He had indicated the plants would be on the way in a couple of days. I had a question so I emailed him a few days after ordering. The next day I phoned and left a message. No responses so I emailed a 2nd time and still got no response. About a week after ordering I was getting irritated and phoned again and Roy answered. He made no mention of the previous attempts I had made but he assured me the plants were leaving soon and he reminded me to note how they were packaged. The plants did ship at the 10-day mark and I got them after only 2 days via FedEx. The large box was unmarked and unbelievably sturdy and his packaging was a work of art. Basically my two plants were tethered to each end of the heavyweight box facing each other so to speak. The 4' high trees were probably the best-looking plants I have ever bought; simply gorgeous and robust. When I took them out of the pots I noticed how healthy the room system was. I have every confidence these trees will thrive. I couldn't ask for nicer ones. Roy did notify me by email of shipping and emailed me a 2nd time to say delivery was scheduled. He obviously was following FedEx tracking. This guy sells great plants. His communications could be better but I give him a Positive rating when everything is considered.
Neutral eoros
Saddle River, NJ
February 3, 2016
I planted 15 Cryptomeria from Thula and they are thriving. I did call to report, within 4 months of purchase, that 2 were not doing well but he was very unresponsive. They died within the guarantee period but he never returned phone calls or responded to emails. I think he has good stock but hope you do not have problem because his modus operandi seems to be caveat emptor, regardless of what his guarantee says.
Positive Kablawi
Hollywood, FL
January 31, 2016
Excellent service. Quick responses. Beautiful trees. Now I am waiting for them to grow:)
Positive Babsfan
Conway, AR (Zone 7b)
January 29, 2016
I had already ordered 2 Nellie Stevens hollies from another nursery, but I needed Edward J Stevens. I finally found him at Thuja Gardens. The girls arrived before the stud did. I got worried, but Roy was a pleasure to work with and all I could say when Edward arrived is WOW! He is a stud - twice as large as the Nellies and oh how healthy!!!
Thank you, Roy.
Positive oolivieri
Eugene, OR
December 14, 2015
I ordered 17 Thuja trees and they all arrived well packed and in the size I expected. But I had to pay about 10 dollars shipping per tree when they come packed in sets of 4. The cost is reasonable for 1 plant but it should be reduced if possible for sets of 4.
Positive roznamist
Maggie Valley, NC
December 8, 2015
I just wanted everyone to know what a great experience we had with Thuja Gardens. I ordered 30 Thuja Green Giant quart plants/trees 16-18 inches. The box was 32 pounds according to Fedex. Upon opening the box, my trees were in perfect green condition. I took one out and measured it, and sure enough it was 18 inches from the top of the dirt to the top of the tree. The trees were packaged in clear bags, perfect for ease of removal and none were overly rootbound. There were clear little Osmocote beads on top. We are crossing our fingers they will all make it through our winter, as one of our favorite local nursery guys told us that as long as our ground was workable it wasn't to late to plant the Green Giant in our zone. We are experienced gardeners in Fl, just not in Zone 6, so we are hopeful they survive the cold and snow. Luckily for El Nino, we are having a week of fantastic weather here in Maggie Valley giving us the time we needed to plant and mulch them in time for the cold weather.
Positive bmacoms1
Augusta, GA
October 3, 2015
I ordered 3-4 ft Nellie Steven Holly (12 of them) and they arrived within one day of shipping, in perfect condition and were all in the 3-4 ft range. I have ordered plants on line before and they were nothing like the description but theses were perfect. I would definitely order from this company again.
Positive beginnerNJ
Middletown, NJ
September 16, 2015
I ordered an Edward Stevens holly from Thuja Gardens in Fall 2014, and it arrived quickly, well packed, and healthy. A year later, it's thriving.
I ordered 3 Nellie Stevens hollies from the company in Spring 2015, and they too arrived quickly, well packed, and healthy. They're thriving, too
I just ordered 2 more Edward Stevens hollies, and as before they arrived quickly, well packed, and very healthy.
With each order, they emailed me when they received the order, when the order shipped, and again to confirm delivery when FedEx delivered the plants. This is more than any other company (even non-gardening stores/websites) have ever done, and I appreciate it.
I'll be very happy to order from them again in the future: I have a whole front yard to landscape yet :)
Positive jim7738937
Schaumburg, IL
May 28, 2015
great transaction!

I ordered 5 3-gallon Thujas and they arrived via FedEx well packaged and not damage.

I like that he sends them in planters and not bare root... bare root shipments don't always fair well.

Thanks for a smooth transaction!
Positive PhilLindner
Hanover, PA
May 11, 2015
The six gallon size Thuja Green Giants I ordered on April 28th arrived today, May, 5th, via FedEx. They were packaged well and all trees arrived in perfect condition. I have dealt with other nurseries over the years and receiving stock in good condition is not always the norm.

I already have the plants in the ground and watered. The stock looks terrific!

I will definitely keep you in mind for future orders and recommend you to others.
Positive Decarlojen
Annandale, VA
May 11, 2015
We ordered over 100 thuja trees about 1.5 years ago. The trees were in perfect condition when they arrived & fertilizer tabs were also included. I also received 2 rose bushes as a free gift. The trees have all done well except 1. I called Roy & asked for advice he explained that I didn't do anything wrong & it probably couldn't be salvaged but he would send me a replacement for free! A few days later he called me back to see how tall all the other trees are so that the replacement would match their height.
I would purchase from thuja gardens again as their products & Roy's attitude & customer service are fabulous!
Positive onealbs
Kingsport, TN
April 17, 2015
We recently placed two orders with Thuja Gardens. The first order was for six three-gallon Thuja Greens, five one-gallon Thuja Greens and one three-gallon Red Maple. The order arrived via Fed Ex to our home in a little less than two weeks from the time we placed the order online. The trees were all on great shape and they even provided free fertilizer tablets to plant along with the trees. They have great instructions for tree planting online which were very easy to follow. We were so happy with the first order that we ordered two additional three gallon Thuja Greens. Once again, they arrived in less than two weeks from the time we placed the order. The container of one of the trees in this order was damaged. We have notified Thuja Gardens and plan to plant the tree anyway with hopes that it will be fine once in the ground. We realize this is Fed Ex issue and not an issue with Thuja Gardens. We will definitely order from Thuja Gardens again. Their trees are beautiful, their prices are reasonable and they gave us free shipping!
Negative speed51133
Oconomowoc, WI
April 15, 2015
Posted on April 10, 2015, updated April 15, 2015
I am in the middle of a dispute. I ordered trees in the fall, 6 green giants 5-6ft tall. Roy was kind of bad about communication, took a bit longer to respond, but I got my trees within a few weeks and they looked ok.

Fast forward to about 9 months. The trees did not fare well in the winter. Very burned. Most foliage is crispy and flakes off to the touch. I would say 10% of the foliage remains alive. I sent Roy a detailed email and his response was \"brown doesn\'t mean anything, water them and they will come back\". Well it has been a few weeks on a drip line and they are worse.

Roy has not responded to my emails now.
On April 15th, 2015, speed51133 added the following:

UPDATE

I have sent a barrage of emails to Roy@thujagardens.com and sales@thujagardens.com. No replies. none. Zero. I have began to leave voice mails as well. All trees are dead as dead as dead. Not mostly dead, but touch them and they crumble dead. I mean I have not demanded anything, I have not accused him of anything, just asked what he needs from me for a warranty claim.
Positive bldrthuja
Boulder, CO
April 8, 2015
I just received my order for 54 Thuja trees/17 boxes. The ingenious way they are secured in the boxes allowed the trees to arrive in perfect condition! It does not matter how the shipper places the box, the trees remain stationary, absolutely no dirt spilled! No broken branches!! Amazing!! Like precision clockwork, I received notice of shipment with 17 tracking numbers and anticipated delivery date 7 days prior to my requested ship date I set up online 2 months prior. Perfection, order complete. Not only would I use Thuja Gardens again, I would highly recommend them. Roy is a very helpful, knowledgable individual and also a very pleasant one!
Positive wyslblwr
Sassamansville, PA
April 7, 2015
Mr Lawing.
we received the cryptomeria and they are healthy and beautiful. thanks so much for your great product and equally great customer service. I will order my GG arbs from you next year

Jim Wolfe (Willow Creek Nursery)
southeastern PA

Positive Marraj
Mount Pleasant, TX
April 7, 2015
I have ordered three times from Roy. We ordered 25 Green giants initially. Due to all the ice and snow in the Carolina's and Georgia at that time, the order was delayed but arrived healthy with an extra Gardenia included as well as more than enough fertilizer spikes for planted.

The second order of 25 arrived on time without any problems and again with a Gardenia and extra fertilizer spikes.

The third order of 35 Green Giants, 3 fire flame crepe myrtles and some other shrubs have been shipped and are due to arrive today.

All the orders were with free shipping and because we are out of state were without taxes. The quality was way beyond anything I could get at the local nurseries. I was kept abreast of the status of my order via the FedEx link.

This has been a great experience and if the need arises, I will order from Roy again. He has been extremely helpful and accommodating
Positive kingsplacefarms
Brandon, MS
January 26, 2015
Great Service - Fast Delivery and the trees looked great.
Positive wdrowland53
Nashville, GA
January 14, 2015
From the very beginning, my experience with Thuja Gardens was superb. The information online was extremely helpful, and the trees I ordered arrived in packages that were very secure -- it was as though I just brought them home from a local nursery.

Roy was very helpful when I called regarding information about my order. Unlike many folks, he actually answered his phone; did not have to rely on voicemail and hope of receiving a call back. Roy also responded to my emails very quickly, which was even more surprising.

When I changed my order to take advantage of a reduced price for buying two trees instead of one, Roy quickly refunded the cost savings back to my bank card. He also provided FedEx tracking information when my trees were shipped to my home.

I most definitely recommend Thuja Gardens for anyone who wants to order trees and plants online. Roy will look after you and make sure you get what you expect.
Negative pcs42
Austin, TX
November 5, 2014
I ordered 14 Murray Cypress and 4 Emily Bruner's from Roy at Thuja Gardens. It was a nightmare!!! I ordered them on a Wednesday and got an email stating they would ship the following Tuesday. The email also stated that I should not call because I would get an email from Fed EX with a tracking number. I waited until the Tuesday that they were to ship and sent Roy an email asking about my trees. BTW he already charged my credit card even though they had not shipped. I called Roy and spoke with him about my order Thursday of that week. He told me that he had emailed me to let me know that the Emily Bruner's were on back order and that he was waiting to hear from me if I still wanted the 14 cypress to ship. I never got that email. So I told him yes, please ship the 14 cypress. He told me he would call later that day to let me know they had shipped. He also told me that the Emily Bruner's would ship the next Monday. He never called me back. I still had no FedEx tracking number either. I waited until the following Tuesday and called him again. This time he gave me another story. He told me that he would look into my order and would call me back in an hour. He said that he would make sure I was happy by the end of the business day. He also told me that the Emily Bruner's were still on back order. I did not get a call from him; on a previous call he made sure he had my correct phone number and I verified it was correct. I sent another email to him asking about my order and reminding him of all of our conversations. Again, not one reply from him. Finally, I called one more time and his message machine box was full so I could not leave a message. I then had to call my credit card company to dispute the charges. I sent Roy one more email asking him to cancel my order since I don't trust him or his company. Just today ( it had been a 5 days) I received two emails from Roy; one was a reply to my cancellation email and one was a "your order is cancelled" email. Every time I spoke with Roy he had a different reason that my tress had not shipped. He did not call me back when he promised me he would. I would steer clear of this company.
Positive kxhawkins
Alexander, AR
October 21, 2014
Bought 25 thuja trees and was surprised at how fast they got here. Sent two emails to Roy and both were responded to very quickly. Just finished getting all the thuja in the ground and they look fantastic. All were packed well and arrived in great shape. Will definitely do more business here.
Positive iceblink
Elizabethtown, KY
October 1, 2014
We bought Green Giant Arborvitae trees from Thuja Gardens. The trees we received were great - very healthy and also the correct size we ordered. We received everything that we ordered. The costs of these trees was also very great and much better than other sites. We also couldn't buy these trees in our city. So we will buy more of them from this company in the future. Roy Lawing responded to me very quickly with good communication in email also. So overall we are very happy with these great trees and we love them.
Positive farmervern
Topeka, KS
September 25, 2014
I simply could not believe my eyes when my order of 100 Thuja trees arrived. They are the best I have ever seen. That said, while communication was a tad slow; it was WELL worth the wait> I look forward to ordering from these guys because you can tell they really LOVE their plants!
Positive twhoffma
Mooresville, NC
July 23, 2014
I ordered 25 Thuja Green Giant Hybrid arborvitaes Seedlings and received my shipment in a timely manner. They transplanted well and all already triple the size. I am super excited about the product and would recommend placing an order with the company.

With respect to the customer service, it has been great. Any email has been replied to and with great information. I am extremely happy that I choose to order from Thuja Gardens.
Positive biancaalynn
Bratenahl, OH
June 1, 2014
A+! I would highly recommend Thuja Gardens for their superior product and outstandingly positive customer service!
Positive alankacz
Hamburg, NY
May 30, 2014
I purchased 12 of the five gallon green giant thujas in the fall of 2013. We had a very very hard winter here in Hamburg New York. The average daily temperature in Feburary was 8 degrees. Three of the 12 trees I had planted died. After speaking with Roy Lawing at Thuja Garden Center and explaining the situation, he promptly sent three replacement trees free of charge. The replacement trees were of very high quality. To date in the last three years I have purchased a total of 50 Thuja Green Giants to create a privacy screen in my back yard and these were the only three that died. The trees always arrive in excellent condition and help is always available via e-mail or phone if I have any questions concerns about the trees. They are very hardy and survived the drought of 2012 with minimal watering. I would recommend the trees and Thuja Garden Center to anyone needing trees of high quality and reasonable pricing. ---- Alan Kaczmarczyk Hamburg, New York.
Positive BMinIL
Jacksonville, IL
May 28, 2014
I recently ordered trees from Thuja Gardens and although a mix-up occurred, Mr. & Mrs. Lawing came through with flying colors in customer service. Not only did they correct the problem but they went above and beyond their responsibilities to compensate me for the confusion. I would definitely do business with them again. I give them an A+ for customer service.
Positive NancyL322
Cave Spring, VA
May 24, 2014
I purchased 6 trees from Thuja Gardens last year. I was encouraged by the 18 month guarantee. Unfortunately, over the winter, I lost 3 of the 6. I dreaded calling and putting that guarantee to test, but Roy absolutely made it right. He had me measure the remaining trees so he would know which size to send. I provided him with the info on a Monday morning. He said the replacements would ship on Tuesday (and emailed me to let me know they were on the way!) Sure enough, they arrived on Wednesday. They looked great! No problems at all! Would definitely buy from them again!
Positive okiefam
Oberlin, KS
May 19, 2014
I placed an order in March 2014 for 57 Murray Cypruss trees and received delivery in less than a week. I was very impressed with the quality of the trees and the time and effort that was put into the packaging. Roy and Thuja Gardens have delivered more than I expected and I have been very satisfied with my experience. I will not hesitate to order again from these folks again. Thank you so much!
Positive ldycabdrvr
Iowa City, IA
May 13, 2014
Very Happy Customer! I ordered a clump of three 5' to 7' Heritage River Birches from Thuja Gardens on 4/03. On 4/08, I was surprised to receive an email notice from Roy that I had been refunded nearly 55% of the purchase price. When my order arrived on 4/11, I opened it to find three beautiful, carefully packed 4' trees with healthy root systems, lovely shapes and tiny leaves! I paid far less than these were worth! The trees were doing great until a rabbit bit one off two days ago. I was crushed. I emailed Roy to ask if I could order just one birch instead of a clump and, get this, Thuja is sending me a free birch!! My experience with Thuja has been great. I look forward to doing business with them again, and I will recommend them to friends!
-Helene Lubaroff (ldycabdrvr)
Positive jtucker350
Mansfield, OH
May 13, 2014
I ordered 10 Murray Cypress trees at the end of 2012. They were nice trees and grew very fast. Unfortunately they died over this winter. We had unusually fridged temps, which I am sure is why they died. Thuja replaced them for me, no problem.
Negative BlackDogKurt
Seymour, CT
May 8, 2014
I rarely find the need to post negative comments about companies, but I did not have a positive experience with my first and only attempt to make a purchase from Thuja Gardens.

On March 19 of this year, I placed an order online for two hollies from Thuja Gardens. Shortly after that, I received a notice and Tracking Number from FexEx that my order was tentatively scheduled to ship on March 21st. About 10 days later after the order still showed as still awaiting shipment on the FedEx website, I kindly emailed Roy at Thuja Gardens merely to inquire if there was delay since I had received a Tracking Number a week earlier with no more follow-up. No reply.

About a week later, I emailed Roy again and asked him to please let me know if the order was not going to ship by April 10th because I was going to be out of town for several weeks starting on April 21st. After about a week with no reply, I finally receive a one line email from Roy on April 9th stating: “ships on April 10.” So I think, “okay, great. It should arrive in time for me to receive it and plant it before I leave.”

Another week passes and I still had not received my order nor have I received any notice from FedEx, UPS or Thuja Gardens that my order has even shipped. It is now Thursday evening, April 17th and it is obviously too late for my order to be received before April 21st if it hasn’t shipped, so I kindly requested that my order be cancelled since I would not be home to receive any shipment. Instead of cancelling my order, I received another short email from Roy the morning of April 19th stating: “Should receive on 4/19/14 Monday at the latest.”

Well, nothing arrived on Saturday, April 19th nor did anything arrive on Monday, April 21st, the day I was leaving. What was particularly irksome to me was that I was being promised on April 19th that I was going to receive my order here in Connecticut from Thuja Gardens down in North Carolina that same Saturday or in two days on Monday when it would have had to have been shipped days ago for that to happen. So I was being promised to receive a same-day shipment for something that had not even been shipped!

At the point, I was finding the entire process with Thuja Gardens to be more than a bit shady. Rather than mess around any further, especially since I was going out of town, I contacted my credit card company (which, by the way, Thuja Gardens was quick to charge in full immediately back in March) to request a full refund.

I notice that during this time, others have posted positive experiences with Thuja Gardens. I can’t explain why my experience was so different. I never received any explanation for the lack of shipment from Thuja Gardens and in fact, I received little communication at all from them. A simple “we are out of stock of that item” or “we need to postpone your shipment to a later date” would have sufficed. At the very least, I would say that they are very hit or miss in terms of customer service.
Positive Tolkien1
Pittsburgh, PA
April 26, 2014
Posted on April 26, 2014, updated April 26, 2014
I have been using Thuja Gardens for two years and have had four orders completed. Shipment was made immediately and all the items were in good condition. In the course of dealing I have obtained over 20 different shrubs and tress, and I have had one item which did not do well, mostly because of deer damage. Larry sent me a replacement at a fraction of the cost, even though I suspect the issue had nothing to do with the shrub I received. Would recommend him to anyone. Bill from Pittsburgh.
On April 26th, 2014, Tolkien1 added the following:

I meant "Roy" not "Larry" in my previous comment.
Positive ranata
Tonganoxie, KS
April 25, 2014
I just received my 100 trees they looked & smelled great. I will order more plants from this company. Very happy with everything.
Positive lcnye
CRANBERRY TWP, PA
April 25, 2014
I placed an order for 6 Murray Cypress 3 gallon trees in September of 2013. The trees arrived within a week and were one of the best looking trees I have received from an internet order, not only were they healthy looking it was one of the best packaging jobs I have seen.
I planted the tress within two days after arrival and maintained them daily as you would do with any new plant. They took off like wildfire never wilted or became stressed and even grow a few inches.
In January of 2014 I noticed that they were not doing very well they were losing their color. I was not very concerned due to the unusual cold and long winter we had in Pa. last year.
April 19th 2014 I contacted Roy at Thuja Gardens and explained that the trees have died. With no questions asked replacement trees were ship April 22nd and I just received them April 25, 2014.
In my opinion Roy and the Thuja staff are top notch. I would not hesitate to place a another order from Roy.
Positive Gelfla
Gardere, LA
April 25, 2014
I ordered 8 Thuja Green Giant trees (1 gallon size) from Roy in January and they were shipped immediately. Then I ordered 4 more in April since I was so pleased with my first order. The trees from January have already doubled in size and are extremely healthy. I can't wait to plan the other 4 and create the privacy screen across my back yard to hide the apartment complex behind me. Roy is great to work with - Thanks for the fantastic service

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.