Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

The scoop on 'Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)'

Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)

4943 Ridge Road
Wadsworth, Ohio 44281 (United States)

Phone: 330) 239-0506
Fax: 1-440-378-4023

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive GeorgiaZone8a
Evans, GA
August 15, 2016
I wanted to send my mother a Meyer Lemon for her birthday. Looked around, and Hirt's (sold through Amazon) was the least expensive by quite a bit (when you added in S&H).

The plant arrived at my mother's house in good time. She sent me a picture of it and it looked green, healthy, bushy, and a good size for the price I paid.

Overall, I am satisfied and would definitely consider them if I were going to order another indoor citrus.
Positive smeggy
Cherry Hill, NJ
July 31, 2016
Posted on July 31, 2016, updated July 31, 2016
Last week I ordered five fruiting/edible plants from Hirt\'s off of Etsy and they arrived a couple days ago. The plants were shipped in one big box. They were well packed and arrived in great condition. There was no breakage at all and very minimal wilting. In fact really only the 8\" Persian lime tree was a wee bit wilted but it sprang right back. The 8\" Meyer Lemon looks terrific.Both are just as tall & branched out as Hirt\'s represented in pics on their website. They do not have any fruit set yet but they claim they are \"fruiting size\", so hopefully soon... All the other plants are appropriately sized as well. The 6\" pomegranate is about 10\" tall (one branch is up to 12\") and it is well branched/bushy. It is also already budding a few flowers. The 4\" barbados cherry is a smaller plant, only about 6 1/2 inches tall and less bushy but nice for the size. (the barbados has a few branches that are longer that are kind of growing out to the side but I did not want to mess around with it trying to measure them)......SO yeah, I am quite pleased with my order and will order from Hirt\'s again.

Oh, I also want to mention that my first order with Hirt\'s was placed several months ago. It was for four alexandra strawberry plants and two starter size fig trees. The strawberries are doing great despite me leaving them in those little starter pots for a couple weeks.They are producing but I am pinching off the fruits since it is their first year. I want all the energy to go into growing... The figs are small but I knew they would be considering they were sold in 2.5\" pots. They were very healthy on arrival & did great for a while. But sadly another vendor sent me a diseased fig tree and the rust/smut (or whatever it is) spread to all my other figs. The little Hirt\'s ones look very sick now & I will probably have to toss them out because they are so mottled and do not seem to be growing. A couple of older/larger fig trees that I bought are doing better with it. Now that they are all infected I guess I will have to stick with buying older/ more established figs in the future
On July 31st, 2016, smeggy added the following:

Forgot to mention the last plant I ordered was a 2.5" Stevia plant. There are two in the pot. One is 16" high and the other is 18" high. They had a couple bug chewn leaves at the bottom but otherwise look great. I'm happy that it was not wilted at all. In the past my Stevia plants have come back with a good soaking after minor wilt. But once they get too dry they die quickly.
Positive narina77
Blairstown, NJ
May 27, 2016
They shipped my tray of Ajuga very quickly, but the postal service created a delay which caused the plants to be delivered after 5 days instead of the 2 day expedited shipping the company used. So the plants were about 75% okay. I sent photos and they immediately refunded the cost of half. I thought that was a good gesture to a first time customer so I would order from them again. Plants were nice (the ones not damaged).
Negative NatePS
Palm Springs, CA
May 3, 2016
I was using to get household paper goods. Saw that Hirts was offering seeds so I picked a few up knowing the name... The package came direct from Hirts address. The Elephant Ear Fig seeds were double zip top bagged closed with a tiny hand cut price of paper and the Money Plant came in an envelope with another companies name on it. I paid 3.50 for the money plant and the prepriced package I got have 1.95. I'm at a loss of why they didn't just send the seeds in plastic bags like the others and I would have been none the wiser... Thankfully Jet gave me my money back on them. That was about a month ago and after the other 6 packages of seeds I started those 2 did nothing. Thought about calling but what a waste of time that would be.
Positive 1alh1
Sidney, OH (Zone 6a)
May 1, 2016
The alocasia I ordered on April 27 was delivered on April 29. The plant in a 4-inch pot had 6 absolutely perfect and beautiful leaves, and it was at least 16" tall. The moist soil was covered with masking tape, and the pot was laid sideways, nestled in Styrofoam peanuts. I couldn't have asked for better quality or faster service.
Positive shinesign
Asheville, NC
April 29, 2016
Ordered several Dahlia tubers and one package of 2 tubers arrived and they were mushy and had rotted. I emailed then with a photo of the tubers and within 24 hours, they had refunded the cost of that package of tubers.

My experience with them has always been really good.
Negative booksnob
April 24, 2016
We have bought dozens of plants from Hirts over the past few years, but the most recent will be the last. Enclosed in shipments is a little flyer which says that plants shipped dormant (during the winter) will be replaced if they do not grow come Spring. We had that very experience this year with two plants purchased in Feb....which never "came to life" after a later planting. Hirts' response to our request for replacements?....."problems must be reported within 15 days" ! ! ! Nice...that makes the dormant thing a bald-faced lie.
Positive PhillyLover
Philadelphia, PA
April 21, 2016
Posted on April 21, 2016, updated April 21, 2016

On April 21st, 2016, PhillyLover added the following:

Ordered 1 liner-size of Blue Bunny Hydrangea Shrub in March 2016 via Amazon. Shipped quickly and although dormant, had a nice root system. Transplanted it to a 1 gal upon arrival and it is growing well.
Positive scottPi
Milwaukee, WI
April 15, 2016
Just ordered bare root strawberries, from Hirt's Garden in OH, via Amazon. I know reviews at Dave's Garden Watchdog mixed, but they are 95% positive at Amazon. And that's over 100,000 reviews! Seems good to me.
Negative Fishman1
Selden, NY
April 14, 2016
Posted on April 14, 2015, updated April 14, 2016
Ordered some sedum from this seller. Had some problems, but customer service took care of everything quickly and to my complete satisfaction. Also, shipping is absolutely the fastest out of all sellers that I have dealt with. I would recommend them to anyone.
On April 14th, 2016, Fishman1 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

My first order from Hirts was positive. But that has changed with my second order. Paid for 2 Panache figs. Both plants(more like tiny little sticks) were dead in 4 inch pots 1/4 filled with dry potting soil. the plants spent days in transit tumbling around in a pot that had tape over the top. I could not find the sticks at first because they were mixed in with the bone dry soil....terrible experience, what an abuse of plants.
Positive Phoenixbinder
New Market, AL
March 26, 2016
I ordered 3 seed packs which arrived promptly. One seed pack was not what I ordered. I contacted the company who responded immediately. They apologized for their mistake, told me to keep the incorrect seed pack, and told me they would mail me the correct seed pack the next day. I received the correct pack a few days later. Excellent service.
Negative gardenwithsoul
Akron, OH
March 15, 2016
I just went to Hirts Gardens in Wadsworth Ohio. After inquiring about whether they were getting organic seedlings in, the owner (grandson of the founder) told me yes and proceeded to tell me they have them grown at a local organic farm from organic seed he buys abd delivers to them. After inquiring further and informing him that his employee had just told me it was NOT an organic farm, he became very hostile, defensive and rude. They are blatantly and purposefully deceiving the public by lying that some of their plants are certified organic. They are acting illegally and unethically. I will never go there again and will tell everyone I know to avoid the store. Worst retail experience I've ever had.
Neutral beanstock
Saint Louis, MO
February 6, 2016
I ordered two citrus trees from Hirt's, a pink variegated lemon and a key lime. The lemon tree looks great, but the lime tree is quite small and has been harshly pruned so that my tree has a lot of stubby limbs. The tree seems healthy enough - we shall see how it does -- but I am disappointed in the size and the way it has apparently been treated. It was not an inexpensive tree.
Positive ysfex3
Greeneville, TN
December 11, 2015
Ordered two plants: a small 4" potted Madagascar Palm and a Daphne x transatlantica 'ETERNAL FRAGRANCE'. Both were healthy, but the daphne was a bit smaller than I was expecting (it was about 3"x3"). The plants were shipped promply and arrived in quickly. Items were ordered on Ebay.
Positive nitzi1944
Kings Park, NY (Zone 7a)
November 25, 2015
I ordered Mt. Hood daffodils from them through Ebay. It was the only place that still had a few left. The bulbs just arrived. They are big. 16cm. ones. Well packed and no problems with delivery.
Negative overland4
Chicago, IL
October 6, 2015
I was disappointed with Hirt's. First, they didn't answer my emails. Second, I asked them to combine two orders placed within a few minutes of each other. They didn't, and didn't explain why. Third, I ended up paying about three times for shipping what it should have cost.
The plants were fine. The communication and customer service were not.
Negative Sos07
September 24, 2015
I wish there was a rating below negative.Please never order from this so called company.As many have already figured out if you have problem with Hirt's ,you can not contact them directly!
Sometimes I get a plant from them that I have to nurse back to health before planting it.Other,or many times I would get a dead plant.
Positive JessiL
Pella, IA
September 10, 2015
Fast shipping, well packaged healthy plants. I have ordered Truly Tiny Banana, Desert King Fig, Kale plants, Pine trees and Stevia. All are doing great and have added so much to our home. I ordered from them off of and it was a great experience.
Negative dentednj
Califon, NJ (Zone 6b)
July 28, 2015
I've had mixed results from my orders from Hirt's. I just harvested Purple Majesty potatoes that were supposed to be purple all the way through as in their description/product photo and mine are purplish in the middle and white over that then a purple skin. These are not the variety I ordered. I also received a bunch of moldy Purple Passion Asparagus. Only a few of them survived.

Other items came in fine. Perhaps their suppliers are not very good or consistent.

With so many other wonderful suppliers online, I'm not sure I'll be buying from Hirt's again even though they had lower prices.
Positive MainlyMaine
Jefferson, ME
July 1, 2015
On Sunday 6/27 I ordered 4 X 4"plants. They arrived in Maine today, 7/1. It took only 4 days from ordering to receiving. Wow, I am impressed. The plants were in wonderful shape. They are healthy and raring to go. Very vigorous. Thank you, Hirt's garden
Positive ArmyWife47
Junction City, KS
July 1, 2015
I ordered 4 plants from Hirt's Gardens (Night Blooming Jasmine plant, Bhut Jolokia Chile Pepper plant, Orange Mint plant, and Strawberry Mint plant). They arrived quickly, very well packaged and beautiful green and healthy looking. Three of the plants had details on/in their pots, except for one, which I am hoping is actually an Orange Mint Plant!

I am a Novice at gardening, so I will definitely update the progress in 10-14 days.

My initial impression of my purchase is definitely a good one!
Positive enjay2015
Rochelle Park, NJ
June 18, 2015
I ordered twice from Hirts in June 2014 & i have to say that the total 44 arborvitaes i got from them one year later are all growing very nicely. I posted my plants' progress with pictures on under "American pillar arborvitae" from arrival of the plants, just off the box, after 1 summer season on the ground then a year later. So happy that their prices are cheaper than most. Thats the main reason i ordered from them because i need 44 of this plant. I wouldnt have afford them if not for their low price. Shipping was also very good, i got my plants a week after i placed the order.
Negative Babsfan
Conway, AR (Zone 7b)
May 15, 2015
I ordered 16 plants. As I was pulling the shredded newspaper away I was excited to see green leaves appearing. Alas. 4 plants showing green - 12 plants soggy and rotten and smelly in their pots.
Never again!
Neutral realityfaery
Delano, CA (Zone 9b)
May 11, 2015
Posted on March 12, 2015, updated May 11, 2015
Posted on March 9, 2015, updated March 12, 2015
Interesting, I had not thought to check their rating here on Dave\\\'s Garden before purchasing from Hirt\\\'s on Etsy. About two months ago, I placed a fairly small order (5 plants: spider plant, parlor palm, snake plant, fiddle leaf fig, and a pineberry) from their Etsy store. I not only received them quickly, but they were all beautiful plants! Since having them, they are all growing wonderfully. My only complaint is that there was one particular plant I have been searching for, but they refunded my order for it saying the plant was too small to ship. I did have correspondence with customer service, which explained why. I just recently placed another order with them last week on ebay and should be getting it today (\\\"Bonnie\\\" spider plant and a hoya). Will update when I check the plants.
On March 12th, 2015, realityfaery added the following:

Received my order of two plants, upon opening my package, I noticed that the hoya had some soft foilage on the top, but firm on the bottom. Which is ok, still got it for a good price, and the plant was healthy and larger than I expected. Sadly, my spider plant was dead. So I took a picture and shot Hirt\'s ebay store the photo. I received a prompt refund. I will definitely be buying from them again.
On May 11th, 2015, realityfaery changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Sadly, I ended up losing both of the last plants I had ordered from Hirt's. The soft tissue damage on the hoya slowly spread to the root of the plant, much to my dismay. Whatever stress it had during transit was too much for it to handle and I unfortunately wasn't able to get it back. My spider plant much to my surprise still sprouted, but it was stressed as well and at the base of the plant it would become black and soft. Killing whatever foliage was sprouting. Its really odd. Sad to say that I am more leery to purchase from Hirt's again....
Positive mylittletrees
Corning, OH
May 2, 2015
Purchased a small decorated holly from them around 1-20-15. It arrived in perfect condition. They had even provided a warming packet to help keep the plant warm within the shipping box. I was impressed with their thoughtfulness and care for the plant. It looked nice and healthy and even had flowers and berries on it. I wished I had bought more of these! Very pleased with my purchase. As of this writing, the plant is still looking good.
Negative arualcristina
Carolina, PR
April 19, 2015
I've bought from Hirt's on 4 ocassions, because I believe in second chances. After this last purchase though, never again.

First time, it was through their amazon webstore. All "bare root plants" arrived dry as a dessert. First off, received 9 instead of 10 and was sent a tansy in its the missing ones place. Of the nine, 2 seemed to have a bit of life in them, but died of crown rot. Meanwhile the ladybugs arrived half dead. Bad.

Second time I ordered some potted plants. All arrived In perfect condition, and have been thriving. My hopes were renewed.

Third order was wet and disgusting. The plants were half rotted (bblack and gooey), and just wretched. Thankfully, they issued a refund after emailing photos of the mess, but still, I was shocked. The order was terrible, but the refund made it a neutral experience.

So I took my latest gander at them. Ordered two concord grape vines "iin quart pots". Well after I placed my order the listing changed to "4 inch pots". I was miffed, but whatever. "Plants" arrived yesterday. They look like the peeling dried out twigs of the tree in my yard. I even pruned one of them a bit, to see if there was live, green tissue on the inside. Nope. It is 100% dry as a bone.

I'll be emailing pics of these twigs to them, and will hopefully be refunded. Needless to say, I will not be buying from Hirt's ever again
Positive JeffersonLady
Jefferson, GA
March 28, 2015
I purchased a Mother-of-Thousands plant, Kalancoe, that I had been searching for years. I was delighted to find it. The plant that arrived was much larger than I expected. It was in very good condition , well packaged. The company processed the order quickly and the post office was efficient, so I received it within 3 days! I was well pleased with this experience and will most likely purchase from them again.
Positive ashleyscott
Argyle, TX (Zone 8a)
March 6, 2015
I was hesitant to order from this company after reading some of the reviews, so I only placed a small order the first time. I ordered three Hydrangeas and a couple varieties of seeds. Shipping was fast so the plants spent very little time in the shipping box.

There was only very minimal damage to the plants and nothing they couldn't handle. I've ordered from several companies and I think it's reasonable to expect that there will ALWAYS be some sort of damage when plants are shipped through the mail. The shipping peanuts didn't seem to bother the plants at all. The seeds have already germinated and are currently growing in my windowsill.

I went ahead and immediately placed a second order and everything came as expected. The plants were a bit wilted but they had been delayed an extra day in transit because of the last winter storm. They seem to be fine so far though.

I'm very satisfied with the company so far and their prices are way better than most nurseries. I will probably be using them again soon.
Neutral Qdangson
Quincy, MA
February 14, 2015
Never really had to deal with any customer service issues. Their tomato and pepper plants are always well packed and awesome. Their dahlia tuners are awful, but they just distribute replaced imported ones. They all arrive broken with very little material attached to the stem, although all will probably grow.
Positive gfcass01
Shelbyville, KY
December 23, 2014
I have just recently received my first order from Hirt's Gardens and I am more than pleased with my experience with them. My order came quickly and the amaryllis bulbs I ordered were large and in good condition--except for one. This one bulb had a gash above the basal plate about 1 1/2 inches long and 1/4 of an inch deep. After seeing the damage on the one bulb I contacted Hirt's to see about returning it, and they promptly e-mailed me back and refunded the money for the damaged bulb. I will certainly order from them again.
Neutral todgor
West Caldwell, NJ (Zone 6b)
December 9, 2014
I wanted to give another try at the Santa Claus dahlia, and they had it. So I ordered it. The tuber clump was huge and healthy looking. It grew like a weed, a fantastically wonderful looking plant. But it wasn't Santa Claus. It was vaguely similar in that it was the same sized bloom and red/white bicolor, but not the same. So hence the neutral. I am very particular about what I want. Would I try them again? Sure, but one more miss and I will not again.
Negative StarGazerOhio
Maple Heights, OH
September 25, 2014
Posted on September 25, 2014, updated September 25, 2014

Neither Amazon or Hirts Nursery can figure out what their return/refund policy is on dead plants. I ordered and then received ten 4\" Boston Ivy plants that where delivered over 2 wks. ago. Upon delivery I promptly opened the box and the potted 4\" plants looked... weak. I planted and watered the plants the same day, there where no return instructions or planting instructions with the shipment. Four days later the plants where dead.
I called Amazon told them about my problem -Amazon said that they would contact Hirts and Hirts, would have 2 days to reply/respond to the problem (turns out Hirts did not). Almost 2 wks. later and 4 more phone calls (of which I was told 3 times there would be a replacement of product or refund) I discarded the shipping box and 10 planting pots.
AS OF TODAY Amazon changed their position- Amazon told me I HAD to now dig up the 10 dead plants and ship them back to Hirts- and see if I could get a refund from Hirts. When I checked Hirts web site (which is a Co. Amazon is representing ) Hirts has NO return policy posted under returns. See:
After all the time and inconvenience this has cost me I would have been better off going to Home Depot Wal-Mart Sears etc. Where the employs can clearly speak to you, and tell you what the policy is. Where the costumer is treated with respect.

On September 25th, 2014, StarGazerOhio added the following:

Better Business Bauru- Rating: F
Negative ignatz713
White Plains, NY
September 21, 2014
I thought my experience was unique. Thanks to the internet, I find it is not.

I don't have very much luck ordering plants online, but my experience with Hirt's Gardens has been one of the worst. I ordered through Amazon, thinking I had their backing if all went bad.

Well, it went bad straight off the bat. I ordered 14 - yes, stupidly, 14 - Hibiscus and when the plants were delivered in June, they were sad looking indeed. No, they were NOT cheap, and for their size, should have been 1/4 of the price. I immediately sent a note to the seller, saying they did not look good and doubted they would make it through the winter. I should have at that time sent them back and gotten a refund. Big mistake. Hirt's Gardens said nothing about a refund and said they would make it through the winter.

Well, here is it is, 5 months later, and the plants have not grown one iota. They barely flowered, and are stunted. No, of course they will not make it through the winter. I again contacted the seller and was told to file a claim through Amazon. Amazon denied my claim and told me to send back the plants.

So, let me see, I paid a great deal of money for 14 sick plants, and now I am being told to send them back (Amazon offered to comp me the shipping) and wait for a refund from a disreputable seller, who may very well deny my refund.

I decided to thank Amazon, even if they let me down this time, put up a horrid rating on their site, and let Hirt know what I think of his company. THEN, I find out there are others who have been duped by this disreputable seller.

Thank you for the moral support. Doesn't help with the money lost or the poor 14 dying plants, but misery does love company!

Moral of the story: DO NOT BUY FROM HIRT'S GARDENS!!!
Positive AdeniumNut
Alamo, CA
September 8, 2014
Oh god, me and hirtsgarden go way back to my aquarium days. I feel old just thinking about it. I've probably made at least a dozen individual orders over the years. I've ordered in heat waves in summer and cold chills in winter. Individual plants I have bought from them that I recall, I bought 2 budded medinilla magnifica. These are soo delicate I don't blame them that they arrived in imperfect condition. Both times the buds didn't make it. The first time also there was leaf die back. The second plant went wonderful. Leaves lush and rebudded the next week anyway. I also remember buying a papaya, nepenthes, and hoya. Papaya is a 9-month seed to fruit, the ppl complaining of size just dont know what they are talking about. Mine was starter in a 4 inch pot, smallish in size but in 6 weeks I was forced to repot already. Hoya was fine. Good size good root good price. Nepenthes, how the he'll do you ship those cups safe??? Individually wrapped and cushioned, but still no cups made it. The plant still was fine, new growth made new cups, the old leaves were fine photosynthesis without cups. I'm not picky. Cheap price cheap goods. If it's green and not blatantly a lie I'm good. I prefer to buy from companies that don't offer free shipping, customer service, and returns. That's when you know you get the good bottom line price. Plus its incentives for me to try to solve everything on my own.
Negative Otmani007
Frisco, TX
August 31, 2014
Bought 4 fig trees from Hirt's Gardens and one of them was not doing that well and starting losing leaves within 2 weeks and finally died within a month. After contacting Hirt's Gardens to see if they can replace the tree and their answer was and I quote: "Problems must be reported within 14 days" and that's it. Sent them a couple of more emails and I got totally ignored. Will NEVER buy from such seller. And wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

I should have read reviews prior to purchasing, but it's too late now. There are lots of bad reviews about them on the net and lot of people complained after lack of and rude customer service after sales.
Positive alisarin
Malone, NY (Zone 4b)
August 29, 2014
I order two "Little Spire" Russian Sage plants in 4" pots on August 13 for $7.99 each plus shipping. They shipped out August 14, and I received them on the 16th. Both plants looked very nice upon receipt, healthy and full. They arrived packed together in a box that was roomy enough for both, and the dirt was taped over to keep it in the pots. I planted them in the ground two days later and they are doing super, have been flowering and filling out noticeably. Very good experience, thanks Hirt's!
Positive Connanicut
Jamestown, RI
August 5, 2014
I have ordered from Hirt's a couple of times, mainly for really hard to find shrubs. My experiences have been positive. They ship quickly and the plants I have received have be very much alive. In some cases, their plants were in better condition than those from some of the "big name" mail order nurseries. Their prices are VERY reasonable. I just ordered two Calycanthus 'Venus" and they were on sale for less than $10. The next best price I found was $39. So they don't ship replacements, at these low prices I would be happy for a refund if it arrived dead.
Positive elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
July 25, 2014
A month back I ordered a Buddleia x 'Miss Molly' Butterfly Bush - Sangria Red -Proven Winners- 4" pot through Amazon and so far it's been great. It looks exactly like the one shown on the site. Two branches have grown with 6 flower clusters, I pinched out two, for better growth.
Negative jennwv11
June 25, 2014
I have been a customer of Hirt's gardens for a long time, I have been satisfied each time my orders arrived until this May. I ordered 4 Let's Dance Blue Jangles Hydrangeas. Within two days of planting them in my garden, they browned and wilted and looked as if they were going to die. I sent a message along with pictures with my concerns. They replied give it fertilizer and water so I did exactly that. Five weeks later, only three made it (they are still very small in size but alive). I sent a message with pictures and asked that they replace the one that died. They gave me a refund so that they didn't have to spend money shipping another one out to me. This is not how they should treat good customers. I have ordered 4 or 5 times from their eBay store this year but I guess they are not interested in keeping their return customers.
Negative HortNbio
Omaha, NE
June 7, 2014

Did they honestly think that we wouldn't notice if they sent the plainer and cheaper 'wild species' of dogwood instead of the more coveted, attractive, and EXPENSIVE cultivar that we paid for?

To add insult, I had to pay nearly $10 out of my own pocket to return them to Hirt's just to get a refund on the price of the plants (they declined my offer of them paying for the return shipping costs). Fortunately, the purchase was through Amazon's website. Upon alerting them, Amazon refunded me the return shipping charges I incurred, as a gesture of good will.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.