The scoop on 'Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)'

Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)

4943 Ridge Road
Wadsworth, Ohio 44281 (United States)

Phone: 330) 239-0506
Fax: 1-440-378-4023

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
April 22, 2014
I ordered from eBay & had no issues, plant arrived very quickly & exactly as listed...
Neutral TreeLover12
Mendon, UT
April 21, 2014
I actually feel more negative than neutral towards this company. The only reason I am leaving a neutral is because my experience was not a bad or expensive as others. I ordered 2 double mockoranges from them. They shipped them the next day Priority Mail. Great. One of the plants I received was the one I ordered. The other one was not even labeled and the open flowers on it were clearly single instead of double. I contacted the company asking them to sent me the right plant. I got an email from Matt Hirt stating that he issued a refund. I did not want a refund, I wanted a plant. I had a place where I was going to plant it! Any other reputable company I have ever dealt with would have sent a replacement but this company must be too cheap to pay shipping.
Positive sunimrette
Zebulon, NC (Zone 7b)
April 9, 2014
Usually I check here for reviews before trying a new online seller, but I was in a hurry and only ordering a few seeds off of amazon so I didn't bother. The seeds arrived much faster than I expected and were packaged well with (generic) planting instructions. I searched the internet for more specific instructions, followed them, and the seeds sprouted quite nicely!

A week later I was looking to buy some grafted tomatoes, but the big name sellers were already out of stock for shipping to my zone in all the varieties I was interested in. A search on ebay led me back to Hirt's Gardens, and I figured, they were relatively cheap so I wouldn't be out too much money if it didn't turn out well.

Once again, shipping was faster than I expected. Now, have I seen better packaging jobs? Yes, but from places like Parkseed where I paid well for it. Considering the price, I think Hirts did a great job. The plants were healthy transplant-size (not scrawny seedlings) and came with instructions on how to harden them off. They are still in the process of hardening off, so I don't know how well they will do once in the garden, but so far I'm pleased.
Negative chefmyster
Raymore, MO
March 20, 2014
I had been a repeat online customer of these guys. Placed an order via their website. They DO NOT PROCESS THEIR OWN PAYMENTS. Amazon does. During the checkout process the cart came up with an error stating that the item could not be shipped to my address. Offered to let me put in a different address or select from the previous address. Nothing worked so I called Hirts -the person i spoke to suggested that it was amazons problem and gave me the number for them. I called, i was bounced around before a manager in the payments division said all we do is process the card any restrictions placed on shipping was done by hirts. From there i called back hirts. The person i spoke too this time said the person i needed to talk to was in a meeting and could call me back. They Did....he did not want to hear about it. When I told him this was pissing me off he got a case of HurtFelioma and hung up on me.

$360 + Order. 100+items Return Customer hours spent shopping for products 2+ hours over 2 days dealing with various support people and they are so wealthy can hang up on you for getting their feelings hurt cause i said i was getting pissed.

Theses guys don't deserve any more business if that is how they are going to handle customer service. Its too bad i had been happy with my previous purchases but now i am going to crusade to share this tale of woe....
Positive Sherilou
Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b)
March 12, 2014
My gorgeous, healthy pepper seedlings were beautifully packed and sent via USPS Priority Mail with a heat pack! The dahlia tubers I ordered are huge, too! I love it all.

They were super-quick to process my order... fastest I've ever experienced. I'm so happy that I'm going to their online catalog, again, tonight to see if there's anything else I might want. Thank you so much, Hirt's Gardens!
Negative HomeownerVic
Hemet, CA
February 12, 2014
Posted on February 12, 2014, updated February 12, 2014
The first two weeks after my order arrived, I thought this place was great, too.

Then the plants started dying, one by one. Sixty dollars gone.

I tried calling the company, several times a day, for several days. The phone rang and rang. I finally found an e-mail address and was told by Matt Hirt to send a picture of the crispy corpses. I told him I didn't have a camera (I like my low-tech existence). I was told to send back the evidence. (I will insert here that in 20 years of ordering plants from Dutch Gardens, Michigan Bulb, Springhill, etc., I have NEVER ONCE been asked to return dead plants. I simply call the company and get a replacement. Done. Professional.)

This all happened last summer. Still no replacements, and no refund. Since then, I have called the company, and sent nearly 40 e-mails. Every time, I get the same old runaround from both Matt and Al. They both pretend they've never heard of me or my problem: "We get several e-mails a day. Can you remind me of what your problem is?" It's shockingly stupid because the history is right there in that same e-mail, but Beavis and Butthead think it's hilarious to screw with people.

I e-mail every few days and tell them I want my flowers replaced or a refund. And every e-mail is ignored. Around the 8th or 9th one they will respond with the "Huh?" reply and then continue to ignore me. So, I've told them I'm sharing my story all over the Web until they do something.

Now, those of you who haven't had a problem... Good for you. Keep your fingers crossed that you don't need anything in the future. I'm from Ohio and I was really glad to support a local business, but these sad excuses for business people are just con artists and scheisters.
On February 12th, 2014, HomeownerVic added the following:

And once again, Matt Hirt sends me a moronic message with the same tired non-response, when all the jerk has to do is read the actual e-mail I sent, which contains the entire history. Nope, it's more fun for him to taunt me. He's like a high school bully.

Me
WHERE ARE MY REPLACEMENTS?(35) <<< That's how many e-mails are threaded in this one, but he refuses to read any of them and instead keeps sending this crap (when he even bothers to respond):

Feb 1
Matt Hirt
Sorry, we receive many emails each day. Can you remind me what this was in regards to or reply to your original email?

Feb 7

Today {Feb 12} at 8:22 AM
Sorry, we receive many emails each day.
Can you remind me what this was in regards to or reply to your original email?
Positive coco3
Vanleer, TN
February 9, 2014
Posted on February 7, 2014, updated February 9, 2014
I am confused by the negative comments regarding communication. I placed my first order with them and had a few questions regarding winter plant care and shipping. These questions were answered promptly and thoroughly over the course of several emails.
On February 9th, 2014, coco3 added the following:

I received my first order.well package strong healthy plants.i was unable to get to post office so they sat for several days.they were shipped as dormant but had already started leafing out in box.will definitely order again.
Negative jackfrost
Troy, NY
November 1, 2013
I purchased a Vietnamese Gardenia from Hirt's on Ebay. Being kind of rushed the day I received the plant I did not fully inspect the plant and placed it with my other tropical plants. Upon close inspection the following day I found the plant to be infested with aphids. Additionally, there were several brown holes in the leaves. It is not a plant that you would choose to buy if you saw it for sale. I had to spray all of my plants with both insecticide soap and neem oil as a precaution. My first, and last, plant from Hirt's. Lesson learned. Oh, I wrote to them and heard nothing back. My advice, avoid Hirt's Gardens.
Negative mepagecom
Beecher, IL
October 16, 2013
Purchased their 'Chesnok' Red Garlic Bulb - FIERY - Jumbo Bulb on eBay. The following is the exchange of emails regarding this item. This listing is still active.

I wrote;

Received jumbo bulbs today and was disappointed by the size of the bulbs. These (my opinion) are not jumbo and suggest that you consider revising the description and title of this item. I look forward to you response and will hold my feedback until Thursday evening.

They responded;

That they checked with the Holland grower and they are correctly graded as jumbo.

I provided Hirts with the following;

MSU Extension Bulletin E-2722 provides the following information on grading and size.

Garlic is graded on the basis of appearance and size. Poor-looking bulbs with missing or diseased cloves or split or badly stained skins are graded out. Bulbs with good appearance are graded into size categories based on diameters of large (>2.5 inches), medium (2.0 to 2.5 inches) and small (<2.0 inches). Another category, Jumbo (>3.0 inches), can be added if enough bulbs reach that size.

The garlic that I received was not in the stated category of Jumbo. I look forward to a timely response.

Hirts responded;

the garlic is grown in Holland is graded by Holland. They do not use the MSU Extension Bulletin.

I responded with;

Thank you for the response and I will tell you that assuming on this transaction has resulted in garlic that is smaller than I wanted and garlic that was exported rather than grown in Ohio. I hope you will reconsider your wording on this auction. Please note that I have not asked for resolution as it's always buyer beware and I accept my role in this transaction.

In closing this is a prime example of never assume and ask before buying.

Negative ohioshane
Defiance, OH
September 13, 2013
I ordered ghost chili plants and received red savanna habenaros . What a disappointment. Will never order from again
Positive paully37
Ann Arbor, MI
July 6, 2013
I ordered 3 hardy kiwi plants & 2 pawpaws from hirts gardens last month. The plants were shipped in pots (a plus because most everything else I have ordered from other companies was shipped bare root.) The plants arrived quickly and healthy and are still doing great!! They did ship them in packing peanuts which I find to not be ideal. But they arrived healthy and quickly & I guess that is what is most important. I am pleased with hirts gardens and would order again!
Negative clantonnaomi
Iredell, TX
July 6, 2013
I ordered 4 tomato plants from Hirt's Gardens via Amazon on June 26, 2013. They were supposed to be mailed immediately; however, I did not get them until July. The plants were totally dry, in fact the medium they were planted in felt like cardboard. They were wilted, yellow. and half dead. They were covered in packing peanuts and this was the only packing material. I emailed them and told them I had been ordering from companies online for many years and these were the worst looking plants I had ever received. After contacting Amazon they emailed back telling me to send a picture. I thought about it and emailed them back to just forget it and I would just give them bad reviews instead. They did issue a refund but told me I would have to mail the plants back to them next time or send pictures. I just want everyone to know about this company . There will never be a next time for me!
Positive iowhen
Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a)
June 27, 2013
Just received 7 plants, delivery was prompt. Not the most secure packaging I have ever seen, but in this case it sufficed. The plants look robust and no parts were broken. The day the order shipped, I received a credit for two plants I had ordered but were not available.
Positive min_bee
Nyack, NY
June 24, 2013
Have ordered twice in 2013, with excellent results each time.
Positive jedoody
Las Vegas, NV
June 15, 2013
I purchased a Michelia Alba,on Amazon,from 9GreenBox who I believe is a part of Hirt's Garden. The plant arrived in 6 days in really great condition. Loaded with branches and leaves. I would purchase from this vendor again.
Negative markcant
Wake Forest, NC
May 27, 2013
Bought three fargesia rufa bamboo plants from Hirt's on Amazon last June, and to my amazement, they arrived looking very healthy. After extricating them from the accursed styrofoam peanuts that seems to be the company's signature, I planted them in a semi-sunny spot after amending the soil with compost and watering them in. I had also purchased a larger specimen locally, so I planted it a few feet away from the other three. So far so good.

And then the Hirt's bamboo began to die. I watered some more, put some extra mulch around them, but nothing did any good. By winter they were dead, but the larger one just a few feet away sailed through winter with no problems and is thriving now. They obviously were shipped with some kind of disease. I ordered them because they were cheap, just asking for yet another lesson in "you get what you pay for." And I got it. That'll be the last time I order from Hirt's, and I will spread the word among my gardening friends to stay away.
Negative rugbycrumpet
Sharon, MA (Zone 6a)
May 25, 2013
Posted on February 28, 2013, updated May 25, 2013
I have purchased many herb & perennial plants from Hirt's over the years and have been very pleased each time. The plants are always healthy and reasonably priced. This is one of my favorite online nurseries.
On May 25th, 2013, rugbycrumpet changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I don't know what's been going on there at Hirts. In the past, I have nothing but great things to say about this company. But my past 2 recent transactions have been very disappointing. Both related to shipping.

I received a shipping confirmation (but no tracking number)for my last purchase, then it went into limbo for 2 weeks. I did not receive the package so I contacted Hirts. They apologized and said there was a screw-up and they will ship the package again. Well, when I received the package another week later, the plants were all yellow and nearly dead. It appeared that they didn't attempt to check the contents before reshipping the package. These plants have been in transit for the past 3 weeks.

I will not be buying from this company again.
Positive mboutet
Rochester, NY
May 7, 2013
I've ordered many times from Hirt's over the years and have never had a bad experience, either with plants or seeds. The variation in reviews is puzzling.
Negative KOKOJO
Ozark, MO
May 6, 2013
I have ordered over 100 plants from various etailers. Hirt's Gardens has to be the worst. I ordered an unusual butterfly bush from Hirt's and when I received it I was amazed. It was a single twig with some scraggly root hairs hanging from it in about 2 ounces of dirt as poorly packaged as I have ever seen. I immediately contacted Hirt's via EBay email and reported the condition of the plant and the packaging. I told them I would try to make it grow. I created a "safe" environment for it to no avail. I'm now trying to get a refund. Hirt's is giving me the runaround. If you can buy your plant somewhere else, DO IT! I should have heeded all the "negatives". ALAS!
Negative NadaName
Cedar Rapids
United States
May 3, 2013
I ordered four epazote "plants" from Hirt's Gardens off Amazon. I was sent four pots of germinated seeds. The tops of the pots were sealed with masking tape. During shipping, the germinated seeds stuck to the tape. Hirt's Gardens misrepresented his product with a photo of a plant on Amazon. I requested a credit. Hirt's replied that I would receive the credit if I removed the negative comment regarding the seller off Amazon. After the credit was issued, Hirt's sent me three e-mails in one day demanding that I remove the comment. I am not going to bullied or harassed by a company. This man needs to learn to conduct his business honestly and ethically. He has changed his name on Amazon from "Hirt's Gardens" to "Hirt's Herbs." I wish I had seen this site prior to my purchase and read the other 104 other negative experiences with Hirt's Gardens!
Positive SLuangkhot
Alexandria, VA
April 29, 2013
Very quick shipping, and my plants came in great condition. I only ordered a pineapple plant and a plumeria for my sunroom, but both are already doing well.

Glad I didn't read all the negative reviews first--they would have scared me away! I don't mind the packing peanuts; I'm actually recycling them by giving them to a friend who is moving. If you have your doubts, place a small order and try them out!
Positive bestoutdoors
Nashville, TN
April 25, 2013
I ordered 1 female and 1 male of Ken's Hardy Kiwi. The small leafed-out plants arrived promptly and in good condition.
Negative Isvlives2
Huntersville, NC
April 24, 2013
Posted on March 21, 2013, updated April 24, 2013
I ordered a new variety of winterberry by Proven Winners, "Berry Poppins" and "Mr Poppins" in 4" pots. Hirt's had the best price and availability though Amazon. They were in their dormant state. In one shipment the box was to small and the stems were broken in half. These are small plants already so it didn't leave much left. I contacted Hirt's with pictures and requested replacement plants. Mr. Hirt chose to refund and said I could reorder. As time progressed the remaining plants started to put out leaves except for three. Contacted Hirt's and requested replacement plants. Again, he chose to refund with no explanation. In both boxes there were no planting instructions although the invoice mentioned "follow enclosed planting instructions". I will say Mr. Hirt was very prompt in responding to my email, in most cases same day. Also, each time issued a refund right away through Amazon. He even sent me the Proven Winners tags when they came in. The quantity I ordered was for a landscape design. With the plants being a new variety they are hard to find. So, I am left short plants for the design but do not feel comfortable ordering from Hirt's again. I wish I knew why they didn't want to send replacement plants in both cases.
On April 24th, 2013, Isvlives2 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I am changing my rating to a Negative. All the plants I ordered, ten total, were in a domant stage when purchased. All but one remained dead. The only plant to survive was the "sugar baby" forsythia. I just contacted Matt about a grass, "burgandy bunny" that never survived. He was quick to respond. I requested a new plant and he issued a refund with no explantion why a new plant could not be sent. Between poor packing and dead plants I will not order from this company again.
Negative gerryo1
Lynchburg, VA
April 14, 2013
Didn't see an E-mail link to the company, so...
Cheers for the speedy delivery of two kiwi vines and a banana plant: Ordered on Wednesday; received on Saturday.
Jeers for using plastic popcorn and overstuffing three plants into a USPS shipping box. The kiwis are fine; the banana has two broken leaves/stems and looks less than stellar. Will not order from them again as long as they use popcorn. There are a multitude of shipping options other than Styrofoam which are far friendlier to the environment and kinder to the plants.
Negative nitbet
East Newnan, GA
April 11, 2013
I had an experience like the posting dated Apr 4th, 2013 on this web page. I had received my shipment the first week in March. The poor wrapping was the same. The calls were unanswered. I my case there were a few additional items that I had to deal with. One being aphids. I opened my box of plants from Hirts and a swarm of aphids flew out of the box and unfortunately all over my other plants that had just been delivered from other responsible companies. Further, after calling Hirts and speaking with two different people (who were not friendly and did not sound concerned about my new bug problem which their company had caused) and calling and emailing with pictures 5 times. I gave up. I do not recommend this company at all. Anita L.
Negative TomGard
April 3, 2013
I ordered several plants from Hirt's and they arrived in tatters. The packaging was so bad, I do not even know what to say. They were stuffed into USPS boxes with packaging peanuts and masking tape to keep some of the soil in the planters. Of the two dozen plants that I ordered, half were damaged or dead.

Silly me, I called Hirt's to try and work out a solution and I was met by ummm.. not a friendly or helpful person. The conversation continued in e-mails with customer service where eventually instead of being offered a refund or replacement, the company just decided to stop responding.

Don't bother wasting your money.. their prices are very cheap relative to burpee or gurneys or the other big guys. There is a reason why... the product is inferior and customer service is a joke.
Positive bibbykitty
San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b)
March 22, 2013
I was looking for two buddleia bushes. I wanted a Bicolor and a Blueberry Cobbler. Hirts was the only place I could find that ships and had both. I was hesitant to order based on their spotty feedback. I did however and I am very pleased with the plants I received.

I would not hesitate to recommend this company to my family and friends. Shipping was quick,plants are nice sized and healthy. What more could anyone ask for?
Positive poppetmochi
Mukilteo, WA (Zone 8a)
March 21, 2013
Excellent-Excellent-Excellent. I ordered a plant for my Aunt's birthday and it arrived in pristine condition. I have ordered several times myself and I live quite a distance from Hirt's...They were packaged very well and were extremely healthy plants! I will be ordering again from them.
Positive JudyF
Waukegan, IL
February 6, 2013
I ordered a few of their sale items, and received them quickly. The plants arrived in great shape, with a heat pack to protect them in shipping. Hirt's has many interesting seeds and plants, and I will definitely order from them again soon.
Negative trospero
Corvallis, OR
January 4, 2013
I discovered a few days ago that Hirt's Gardens web site was displaying one of my copyright-protected photos on their web site, without my permission, to promote the sale of a specific variety of rose. Upon further investigation, the same photo was being displayed on their eBay store and their Amazon store al well. I sent them an email (no answer when I phoned) to request payment for the usage of my photo. I got an email back stating that the photo had been removed (although it is still on eBay's servers) and there wasn't a hint of an apology in the message I got, nor any sense that they cared at all, let alone an offer to pay me for having used my photo for who knows how long.

It is worth noting that they had manipulated the photo by flipping it horizontally (mirror image, flipped left to right) and cropped off my embedded copyright statement, in order to disguise the fact that they had stolen copyright protected work! Unscrupulous, to say the least. I wonder if this is a reflection of their overall customer service?
Positive Toni05
Posted on October 1, 2011, updated November 16, 2011
Posted on March 12, 2011, updated October 1, 2011
Posted on November 15, 2010, updated March 12, 2011
Posted on July 25, 2007, updated November 15, 2010
Beautiful variegated Mother of thousand..vibrant colors and large in size. Shipping was super fast, and plant well-packaged. Considering this is the first time I've seen the variegated version, I consider it hard-to-find..Even though it's rare, the price was exceptional..Thanks, Hirt's...Toni
On October 3rd, 2007, Toni05 added the following:

Received my second order from Hirts today..A cute, and very healthy, Calico Heart. Leaves are in pefect condition, insect-free.
Shipping was done with care, and arrived faster than I expected.

On November 23rd, 2007, Toni05 added the following:

Received two beautiful episcias today from Hirts: Spearment Flame and Chocolate Cream..Each arrived in 4" pots; they're a lot larger than I expected for their prices.
Plants arrived a lot faster than I thought, especially since it's a holiday week. (Thanksgiving)
I also like the fact Hirts enclosed pots and Episcias in plastic since they dote on humidity.
On March 11th, 2009, Toni05 added the following:

Received a Lace Leaf Aralia Tree today. Plant arrived in perfect condition. Stands 19" tall. Shipping was prompt, and plant well-packaged.

I didn't think to leave feedback for seeds ordered in January 2009.
Once again, shipping was quick, seeds labeled, and everything in order. No missing packs, no complications. Toni

On April 21st, 2009, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered a 'rare' Yellow Christmas Cactus. I received a very healthy specimen, quite full, in a 4" pot.
Plant was well-packaged, and arrived quickly.
Hirts has interesting varieties. Toni
On November 15th, 2010, Toni05 added the following:

Received six gorgeous plants from Hirts.
All are healthy, well-rooted, and pest-free.

I was shocked how fast the order arrived. 3 days after ordering.

Plants were well-wrapped and securely packaged. Toni

On March 12th, 2011, Toni05 added the following:

Received three, gorgeous, good-sized, healthy plants.
Kalanchoe, White Panda
Orchid, Variegated Phal
Ficus, Variegated Benji

Plants were securely wrapped, warm enough to protect from midwest, icy temps. Shipping arrived promptly.
On October 1st, 2011, Toni05 added the following:

Received 3 plants, 'Maid of Orleans,' 'Blue Rabbit's Foot Fern,' 'Chlorophytum 'ocean,' and Lady Bugs.

Like previous orders, plants are very healthy and pest free. The Spider is a little fussy, but alive and well.

Ladybugs are very active. 1500 ladybugs at a great price. Less than 10 didn't make the trip, but considering the amount, the odds are fantastic.

Plants and ladybugs were securely wrapped. shipment arrived days after initial order.

Hirt's is one of my favorite nurseries. Toni
On November 16th, 2011, Toni05 added the following:

Received a very pretty, Ixora, Flame of the Woods, variegata. Never saw the Flame w/variegated leaves.

Also ordered Lady bugs. Lady Bugs were raring to go..I prefer natural/organic insecticides.

Secure and Fast shipping.
On January 21st, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Received three healthy, good-sized, pest-free plants.

Philodendron Lemon-Lime, vine
Philodendron Lemon-Like 'upright'
Medinilla, 'orange spike'

Plants are potted in 4" containers. Well-rooted.

Hirt's is a 5* Nursery...Toni

On May 24th, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Received order, 5/9/12.

Variegated Harlequin Honeysuckle. Highly variegated, well-rooted. 4" pot.Hardy to z5.

Aiko Chirita...Beautiful, healthy foliage..Several buds and flowers. 6" hanging basket. Price 7.99. Very inexpensive for Chirita and size.

Ming Aralia, pre-bonsai tree. Trunk 8", w/leaves a little over 12". Healthy green leaves. 4" pot. Ready to be repotted.

Securely-wrapped, super-fast shipping, arrived 3 days after order.

Hirts is a 5* Nursery.... Toni

On June 21st, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered and received:

Azalea Weston 'Innocent,' a hardy, decidious outdoor plant.

Kiwi--Hardy, Artic Beauty Kolomikta Kiwi.
One male, one female.

Plants are good-size, (4" pots, compact and tall,) healthy and pest-free.
Male Kiwi foliage is gorgeous. Red and green.
Female has some red.

Lady Bugs. The little gals and guys are so, very active. I placed half out front, the other half in the back yard.

Attached to the net lady bugs are packaged, was a Cooling Pack. A great idea and gesture.

Plants and bugs arrived securely packed. Shipping arrived less than a week from order.

Great Customer Service. Pleasant and helpful. Replies to emails within 24-hours.

Thanks, Hirt's..Toni

On December 6th, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered and received Sanseviera 'Whitney'

Sans is much larger than I expected. Beautiful marking.

Plant was securely wrapped, survived cold via shipping.

Sans arrived two days after initial order. Can't beat that!

Positive mizou55
St Louis, MO
October 17, 2012
I ordered two Mt Laurels. They arrived in short order and are doing well nearly 6 months later. Mizzou55
Negative springlakenj
Spring Lake NJ
United States
September 5, 2012
I ordered a live plant from Hirt's Gardens on ebay. After the shipping date and estimated arrival date, via tracking # provided by Hirt's, had passed, I emailed them several times to request an update, as I was going to be away from home and was concerned for a live plant to be left in a box. All Hirt's had to do was contact me and advise that they were out of the plant, or to postpopne shipping and there would have been no problem.
No response from Hirt's.
Finally, I contacted Paypal, who requested info from Hirt's. Hirt's provided them the same tracking #, which indicated that the plant had not shipped!
After more than a month, Paypal did refund my money. To date, I have never received any replies or been contacted by Hirt's. I will not do business with them again.
Positive BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL (Zone 9a)
August 29, 2012
Prompt shipping. Plastic peanuts kept vine from breaking.
Size of Hawaii sunset vine surprised me. Not one leaf broken off.
I would definitely buy from them again.
Bonnie Davis
Clermont, Fl.
Positive lilpocky
Greencastle, PA
July 6, 2012
I've done business with Hirt's twice now. When I received the packages in the mail, I was amazed by their packaging method. It really protected my plants. Everything was in great condition. My first order from over a year ago, a Jasmine plant, is growing beautifully.

I also bought other shrubs from them this year. They are small, but they were in beautiful condition. The rose, in fact, is doing great in the hot, humid conditions of mid-summer.

A+
Positive Origin374
Pigeon Creek, OH
June 30, 2012
I don't order plants online. It's too risky and I have no control over what I get. I much prefer shopping in person and browsing the store myself. That said, I have nothing but good things to say about Hirt's. I'm a bit of a fig fool and no one in the area has anything close to the number and varieties of figs that Hirt's does. This alone makes them a favorite of mine. They have all of the usual plants for sale but additionally they have the most unusual selections. We found today a number of fruits and landscape plants no one else in the area carries. It's a bit small compared to a few other local places, but it's a great shop to wander and browse in. I found something of interest in every greenhouse I entered.

Their prices on some things, like flats of veggies, are quite a bit higher than other nurseries. Their herbs are also pricey. On the other hand, if you're looking for some vegetables now for a late planting you're not going to find anything like the selection they have at Hirt's. I was dumbstruck at how many tomatoes and how many varieties, for example, they have yet and in good shape, too; while every other joint in the area is out of stock or has nothing but yellowed and bedraggled plants left. As for everything else, their prices seemed to me to be pretty much in line with most other local nurseries. I probably won't start my spring vegetable garden with plants from Hirt's--I can get better prices closer to home. But for everything else, for surprising options and for veggies for a later planting season, you bet, this will be my place.

Everyone I've met there, and I mean everyone without exception, has been friendly, helpful, informative. If you live in the area and walk into the joint without a chip on your shoulder, engage them in a friendly conversation you just might get your questions answered, you'll probably find someone who will take you right to the plants you're looking for, and you just might enjoy your visit. I have, so far.

I have nothing but good to say about the most unusual garden center in the area with the most surprising selection of plants. It's a good place.
Positive henryetta69
Wichita, KS
June 11, 2012
My first order from Hirt's Gardens was a very satisfactory experience. My plants arrived in good condition and very promptly. A little soil in the bottom of the box, but after seeing the way packages are handled by UPS and USPS I wasn't surprised. They are in the ground and seem to be very happy here.
Positive CeliaHiggs
Colorado Springs, CO
June 11, 2012
I placed a rather varied order (three live plants, assorted seeds, and small (but heavy) planters). Everything was well wrapped and, in spite of the fact that they spent more time in the mail than would've been ideal due to Memorial Day weekend, everything arrived in good condition! I was actually surprised at how well the live plants fared considering how long they'd been in transit.

There was a slight mix up with the seeds so I called the customer service number and they assured me they would send me what I needed. I just received everything today and am very pleased.
Negative laughingraccoon
Camp Creek, WV
June 9, 2012
I ordered 4 tansy plants from Hirts. (Yes, I know tansy can be invasive, but if it will protect my squash this year, I don't care, lol. I have them in pots near my squash.) Anyway, the plants arrived quickly but they were so bedraggled. They had sealed the soil off so it wouldn't spill out which was good, but they had used packing peanuts to "protect" the plants. The moisture from the plants caused the peanuts to fuse together into these big globs, and those globs beat those poor plants nearly to death. All of them had most of their leaves beaten/broken off. I managed to salvage them with a lot of TLC, and they are doing fine now, but it was touch and go for awhile. Thankfully tansy is pretty hardy. A more delicate plant would have never survived such an ordeal. I sent them an email suggesting they not use the peanuts and why, and telling them about what a pitiful state they arrived in. I got an email response from Matt Hirt saying:

"Thanks for the email.
We will take your suggestions into consideration.

Thanks"

That is the entire email. I thought he could have at least apologized for the plants arriving in poor shape, or apologize for having to put out such an effort to get them to survive, but no. I have certainly learned my lesson. I will NEVER order from these folks again.
Positive hollysmamma
Cuyahoga Heights, OH (Zone 5a)
May 26, 2012
Ordered two Dragon Fruit plants from them awhile ago, they are growing like a weed and still extremely healthy! Will order from them again!