The scoop on 'Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)'

Hirt's Gardens (formerly Hirt's Greenhouse & Flowers)

4943 Ridge Road
Wadsworth, Ohio 44281 (United States)

Phone: 330) 239-0506
Fax: 1-440-378-4023

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral todgor
West Caldwell, NJ (Zone 6b)
December 9, 2014
I wanted to give another try at the Santa Claus dahlia, and they had it. So I ordered it. The tuber clump was huge and healthy looking. It grew like a weed, a fantastically wonderful looking plant. But it wasn't Santa Claus. It was vaguely similar in that it was the same sized bloom and red/white bicolor, but not the same. So hence the neutral. I am very particular about what I want. Would I try them again? Sure, but one more miss and I will not again.
Negative StarGazerOhio
Maple Heights, OH
September 25, 2014
Posted on September 25, 2014, updated September 25, 2014

HIRTS & AMAZON DO NOT PUT THEIR COSTUMERS FIRST-

Neither Amazon or Hirts Nursery can figure out what their return/refund policy is on dead plants. I ordered and then received ten 4\" Boston Ivy plants that where delivered over 2 wks. ago. Upon delivery I promptly opened the box and the potted 4\" plants looked... weak. I planted and watered the plants the same day, there where no return instructions or planting instructions with the shipment. Four days later the plants where dead.
I called Amazon told them about my problem -Amazon said that they would contact Hirts and Hirts, would have 2 days to reply/respond to the problem (turns out Hirts did not). Almost 2 wks. later and 4 more phone calls (of which I was told 3 times there would be a replacement of product or refund) I discarded the shipping box and 10 planting pots.
AS OF TODAY Amazon changed their position- Amazon told me I HAD to now dig up the 10 dead plants and ship them back to Hirts- and see if I could get a refund from Hirts. When I checked Hirts web site (which is a Co. Amazon is representing ) Hirts has NO return policy posted under returns. See: http://www.hirts.com
After all the time and inconvenience this has cost me I would have been better off going to Home Depot Wal-Mart Sears etc. Where the employs can clearly speak to you, and tell you what the policy is. Where the costumer is treated with respect.

On September 25th, 2014, StarGazerOhio added the following:

Better Business Bauru- Rating: F http://www.bbb.org/akron/business-reviews/florists-retail/hi...
Negative ignatz713
White Plains, NY
September 21, 2014
I thought my experience was unique. Thanks to the internet, I find it is not.

I don't have very much luck ordering plants online, but my experience with Hirt's Gardens has been one of the worst. I ordered through Amazon, thinking I had their backing if all went bad.

Well, it went bad straight off the bat. I ordered 14 - yes, stupidly, 14 - Hibiscus and when the plants were delivered in June, they were sad looking indeed. No, they were NOT cheap, and for their size, should have been 1/4 of the price. I immediately sent a note to the seller, saying they did not look good and doubted they would make it through the winter. I should have at that time sent them back and gotten a refund. Big mistake. Hirt's Gardens said nothing about a refund and said they would make it through the winter.

Well, here is it is, 5 months later, and the plants have not grown one iota. They barely flowered, and are stunted. No, of course they will not make it through the winter. I again contacted the seller and was told to file a claim through Amazon. Amazon denied my claim and told me to send back the plants.

So, let me see, I paid a great deal of money for 14 sick plants, and now I am being told to send them back (Amazon offered to comp me the shipping) and wait for a refund from a disreputable seller, who may very well deny my refund.

I decided to thank Amazon, even if they let me down this time, put up a horrid rating on their site, and let Hirt know what I think of his company. THEN, I find out there are others who have been duped by this disreputable seller.

Thank you for the moral support. Doesn't help with the money lost or the poor 14 dying plants, but misery does love company!

Moral of the story: DO NOT BUY FROM HIRT'S GARDENS!!!
Positive AdeniumNut
Alamo, CA
September 8, 2014
Oh god, me and hirtsgarden go way back to my aquarium days. I feel old just thinking about it. I've probably made at least a dozen individual orders over the years. I've ordered in heat waves in summer and cold chills in winter. Individual plants I have bought from them that I recall, I bought 2 budded medinilla magnifica. These are soo delicate I don't blame them that they arrived in imperfect condition. Both times the buds didn't make it. The first time also there was leaf die back. The second plant went wonderful. Leaves lush and rebudded the next week anyway. I also remember buying a papaya, nepenthes, and hoya. Papaya is a 9-month seed to fruit, the ppl complaining of size just dont know what they are talking about. Mine was starter in a 4 inch pot, smallish in size but in 6 weeks I was forced to repot already. Hoya was fine. Good size good root good price. Nepenthes, how the he'll do you ship those cups safe??? Individually wrapped and cushioned, but still no cups made it. The plant still was fine, new growth made new cups, the old leaves were fine photosynthesis without cups. I'm not picky. Cheap price cheap goods. If it's green and not blatantly a lie I'm good. I prefer to buy from companies that don't offer free shipping, customer service, and returns. That's when you know you get the good bottom line price. Plus its incentives for me to try to solve everything on my own.
Negative Otmani007
Frisco, TX
August 31, 2014
Bought 4 fig trees from Hirt's Gardens and one of them was not doing that well and starting losing leaves within 2 weeks and finally died within a month. After contacting Hirt's Gardens to see if they can replace the tree and their answer was and I quote: "Problems must be reported within 14 days" and that's it. Sent them a couple of more emails and I got totally ignored. Will NEVER buy from such seller. And wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

I should have read reviews prior to purchasing, but it's too late now. There are lots of bad reviews about them on the net and lot of people complained after lack of and rude customer service after sales.
Positive alisarin
Malone, NY (Zone 4b)
August 29, 2014
I order two "Little Spire" Russian Sage plants in 4" pots on August 13 for $7.99 each plus shipping. They shipped out August 14, and I received them on the 16th. Both plants looked very nice upon receipt, healthy and full. They arrived packed together in a box that was roomy enough for both, and the dirt was taped over to keep it in the pots. I planted them in the ground two days later and they are doing super, have been flowering and filling out noticeably. Very good experience, thanks Hirt's!
Positive Connanicut
Jamestown, RI
August 5, 2014
I have ordered from Hirt's a couple of times, mainly for really hard to find shrubs. My experiences have been positive. They ship quickly and the plants I have received have be very much alive. In some cases, their plants were in better condition than those from some of the "big name" mail order nurseries. Their prices are VERY reasonable. I just ordered two Calycanthus 'Venus" and they were on sale for less than $10. The next best price I found was $39. So they don't ship replacements, at these low prices I would be happy for a refund if it arrived dead.
Positive elfeik
Near Kansas City, MO (Zone 6a)
July 25, 2014
A month back I ordered a Buddleia x 'Miss Molly' Butterfly Bush - Sangria Red -Proven Winners- 4" pot through Amazon and so far it's been great. It looks exactly like the one shown on the site. Two branches have grown with 6 flower clusters, I pinched out two, for better growth.
Negative jennwv11
FALLING WATERS, WV
June 25, 2014
I have been a customer of Hirt's gardens for a long time, I have been satisfied each time my orders arrived until this May. I ordered 4 Let's Dance Blue Jangles Hydrangeas. Within two days of planting them in my garden, they browned and wilted and looked as if they were going to die. I sent a message along with pictures with my concerns. They replied give it fertilizer and water so I did exactly that. Five weeks later, only three made it (they are still very small in size but alive). I sent a message with pictures and asked that they replace the one that died. They gave me a refund so that they didn't have to spend money shipping another one out to me. This is not how they should treat good customers. I have ordered 4 or 5 times from their eBay store this year but I guess they are not interested in keeping their return customers.
Negative HortNbio
Omaha, NE
June 7, 2014
I ORDERED AND PAID FOR TWO CADILLACS. THEY SENT ME CORVAIRS.

Did they honestly think that we wouldn't notice if they sent the plainer and cheaper 'wild species' of dogwood instead of the more coveted, attractive, and EXPENSIVE cultivar that we paid for?

To add insult, I had to pay nearly $10 out of my own pocket to return them to Hirt's just to get a refund on the price of the plants (they declined my offer of them paying for the return shipping costs). Fortunately, the purchase was through Amazon's website. Upon alerting them, Amazon refunded me the return shipping charges I incurred, as a gesture of good will.

NEVER AGAIN!

Neutral CarolMcKenzie
Irvine, KY
June 7, 2014
Earlier this spring I ordered a selection of plants from Hirt's. While the plants were all alive upon arrival, they were battered and broken from the packaging method used. The plants were masking taped into their respective pots, then crammed (yes, crammed) into one box, surrounded by packing peanuts.

I opened the box in the yard on a breezy day and spent most of the afternoon retrieving packing peanuts from the grass. After unpacking the plants, I was dismayed at the amount of damage the plants suffered in transit. Several leaves of one day lily were taped to the pot; the stem on a Ligularia was bent almost double. The peony is still alive, but is still bedraggled and bent and completely unhappy looking.

I don't believe I'll be ordering from Hirt's again. Other sellers have far better packaging methods which provide protection for the plants. I'd rather not risk demolishing through transit in the future.
Negative Toddott
Kentwood, MI (Zone 5b)
June 6, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated June 6, 2014
Ordered several overpriced plants from Hirts on ebay in 4" pots. Two of them six plant were possibly worthy of the 4" pots they were in. The others could have been placed comfortably in 1" pots, being nothing more than seedlings. One plant was dead and dried out, showing signs of previous spider mites. It appeared that it had been shipped that way. That kind of damage could not have happened during two days of shipping. They refunded that plant, but another "plant" that was shredded from the masking tape they used to "secure" it in the pot, they claimed wasn't from them. I asked for replacements because two different varieties are necessary for pollination and fruiting, but they gave refunds, which does me no good since the plants that remain will bear no fruit without the pollinators. I will not be ordering from them again.
On June 6th, 2014, Toddott added the following:

p.s. Don't let the pictures fool you into buying their plants. They have no resemblance to the plants they send and reading other comments it appears some of the pictures were stolen. This should be a sign to everyone of their dishonesty and lack of ethics, and a warning not to trust them. The lush, full $10 plant they advertise will most likely arrive at your house as a 2" twig with few leaves.
And from reading other comments, it appears they NEVER replace any plants. That would require them to pay for more shipping and waste masking tape and styrofoam peanuts.
Some people are clueless. You make more money by selling quality products and treating customers fairly because those customers will continue to come back.
Positive Lovehum
(Zone 6b)
May 27, 2014
Not bad. They have a wide selection and they ship pretty fast so no complaints here. They even have some informative videos on youtube.
Positive Lalani
South Padre island, TX (Zone 9a)
May 12, 2014
I ordered 2 stevia plants from Hirt's several months ago. One of the plants arrived with the top half broken off. I planted it in the ground anyway. I planted the unbroken one in a larger pot. The one that was broken is doing better than the unbroken one! As they say, "prune to encourage growth." Anyway, don't fret if your stevia plant arrives broken. Be patient with it, and you may be pleasantly surprised.
Positive leroylee13
Boyette, FL
May 4, 2014
I made my first order from Hirt's a couple weeks ago. It included 9 carnivorous plants which are very delicate. My order was shipped quickly and received in good condition. One of 2 sundews immediately declined while the second quickly recovered from the shipping trauma. I contacted Hirt's via email and received an email within hours, stating that they would credit my charge card for the plant, and I could re-order if I wanted. I soon received a confirmation email stating that not only the price of the item, but also shipping charges were being refunded.

Outstanding customer service.. I will certainly be placing more orders with this company very soon.
Positive Sherilou
Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b)
May 4, 2014
Posted on March 12, 2014, updated May 4, 2014
My gorgeous, healthy pepper seedlings were beautifully packed and sent via USPS Priority Mail with a heat pack! The dahlia tubers I ordered are huge, too! I love it all.

They were super-quick to process my order... fastest I've ever experienced. I'm so happy that I'm going to their online catalog, again, tonight to see if there's anything else I might want. Thank you so much, Hirt's Gardens!
On May 4th, 2014, Sherilou added the following:

It's now May and all the pepper plants I ordered are big and healthy and productive. I will order from Hirt's Gardens again, for sure, next year.

I followed their "hardening-off" directions to the letter... this is a very important step, when purchasing any plants online.
Positive gvm11
GAMBRILLS, MD
April 26, 2014
Posted on April 25, 2014, updated April 26, 2014
In the past I really loved this company as no other until recently. I have ordered some plants in October for fall planting. They were dormant as usually is the case. Now it is spring time and they show no signs of life in my garden. I contacted Hirt's and they refused to send me a replacement as it is past their warranty. Very disappointing.
On April 26th, 2014, gvm11 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Update: Refund issued, problem resolved.
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
April 22, 2014
I ordered from eBay & had no issues, plant arrived very quickly & exactly as listed...
Neutral TreeLover12
Mendon, UT
April 21, 2014
I actually feel more negative than neutral towards this company. The only reason I am leaving a neutral is because my experience was not a bad or expensive as others. I ordered 2 double mockoranges from them. They shipped them the next day Priority Mail. Great. One of the plants I received was the one I ordered. The other one was not even labeled and the open flowers on it were clearly single instead of double. I contacted the company asking them to sent me the right plant. I got an email from Matt Hirt stating that he issued a refund. I did not want a refund, I wanted a plant. I had a place where I was going to plant it! Any other reputable company I have ever dealt with would have sent a replacement but this company must be too cheap to pay shipping.
Positive sunimrette
Zebulon, NC (Zone 7b)
April 9, 2014
Usually I check here for reviews before trying a new online seller, but I was in a hurry and only ordering a few seeds off of amazon so I didn't bother. The seeds arrived much faster than I expected and were packaged well with (generic) planting instructions. I searched the internet for more specific instructions, followed them, and the seeds sprouted quite nicely!

A week later I was looking to buy some grafted tomatoes, but the big name sellers were already out of stock for shipping to my zone in all the varieties I was interested in. A search on ebay led me back to Hirt's Gardens, and I figured, they were relatively cheap so I wouldn't be out too much money if it didn't turn out well.

Once again, shipping was faster than I expected. Now, have I seen better packaging jobs? Yes, but from places like Parkseed where I paid well for it. Considering the price, I think Hirts did a great job. The plants were healthy transplant-size (not scrawny seedlings) and came with instructions on how to harden them off. They are still in the process of hardening off, so I don't know how well they will do once in the garden, but so far I'm pleased.
Negative chefmyster
Raymore, MO
March 20, 2014
I had been a repeat online customer of these guys. Placed an order via their website. They DO NOT PROCESS THEIR OWN PAYMENTS. Amazon does. During the checkout process the cart came up with an error stating that the item could not be shipped to my address. Offered to let me put in a different address or select from the previous address. Nothing worked so I called Hirts -the person i spoke to suggested that it was amazons problem and gave me the number for them. I called, i was bounced around before a manager in the payments division said all we do is process the card any restrictions placed on shipping was done by hirts. From there i called back hirts. The person i spoke too this time said the person i needed to talk to was in a meeting and could call me back. They Did....he did not want to hear about it. When I told him this was pissing me off he got a case of HurtFelioma and hung up on me.

$360 + Order. 100+items Return Customer hours spent shopping for products 2+ hours over 2 days dealing with various support people and they are so wealthy can hang up on you for getting their feelings hurt cause i said i was getting pissed.

Theses guys don't deserve any more business if that is how they are going to handle customer service. Its too bad i had been happy with my previous purchases but now i am going to crusade to share this tale of woe....
Negative HomeownerVic
Hemet, CA
February 12, 2014
Posted on February 12, 2014, updated February 12, 2014
The first two weeks after my order arrived, I thought this place was great, too.

Then the plants started dying, one by one. Sixty dollars gone.

I tried calling the company, several times a day, for several days. The phone rang and rang. I finally found an e-mail address and was told by Matt Hirt to send a picture of the crispy corpses. I told him I didn't have a camera (I like my low-tech existence). I was told to send back the evidence. (I will insert here that in 20 years of ordering plants from Dutch Gardens, Michigan Bulb, Springhill, etc., I have NEVER ONCE been asked to return dead plants. I simply call the company and get a replacement. Done. Professional.)

This all happened last summer. Still no replacements, and no refund. Since then, I have called the company, and sent nearly 40 e-mails. Every time, I get the same old runaround from both Matt and Al. They both pretend they've never heard of me or my problem: "We get several e-mails a day. Can you remind me of what your problem is?" It's shockingly stupid because the history is right there in that same e-mail, but Beavis and Butthead think it's hilarious to screw with people.

I e-mail every few days and tell them I want my flowers replaced or a refund. And every e-mail is ignored. Around the 8th or 9th one they will respond with the "Huh?" reply and then continue to ignore me. So, I've told them I'm sharing my story all over the Web until they do something.

Now, those of you who haven't had a problem... Good for you. Keep your fingers crossed that you don't need anything in the future. I'm from Ohio and I was really glad to support a local business, but these sad excuses for business people are just con artists and scheisters.
On February 12th, 2014, HomeownerVic added the following:

And once again, Matt Hirt sends me a moronic message with the same tired non-response, when all the jerk has to do is read the actual e-mail I sent, which contains the entire history. Nope, it's more fun for him to taunt me. He's like a high school bully.

Me
WHERE ARE MY REPLACEMENTS?(35) <<< That's how many e-mails are threaded in this one, but he refuses to read any of them and instead keeps sending this crap (when he even bothers to respond):

Feb 1
Matt Hirt
Sorry, we receive many emails each day. Can you remind me what this was in regards to or reply to your original email?

Feb 7

Today {Feb 12} at 8:22 AM
Sorry, we receive many emails each day.
Can you remind me what this was in regards to or reply to your original email?
Positive coco3
Vanleer, TN
February 9, 2014
Posted on February 7, 2014, updated February 9, 2014
I am confused by the negative comments regarding communication. I placed my first order with them and had a few questions regarding winter plant care and shipping. These questions were answered promptly and thoroughly over the course of several emails.
On February 9th, 2014, coco3 added the following:

I received my first order.well package strong healthy plants.i was unable to get to post office so they sat for several days.they were shipped as dormant but had already started leafing out in box.will definitely order again.
Negative jackfrost
Troy, NY
November 1, 2013
I purchased a Vietnamese Gardenia from Hirt's on Ebay. Being kind of rushed the day I received the plant I did not fully inspect the plant and placed it with my other tropical plants. Upon close inspection the following day I found the plant to be infested with aphids. Additionally, there were several brown holes in the leaves. It is not a plant that you would choose to buy if you saw it for sale. I had to spray all of my plants with both insecticide soap and neem oil as a precaution. My first, and last, plant from Hirt's. Lesson learned. Oh, I wrote to them and heard nothing back. My advice, avoid Hirt's Gardens.
Negative mepagecom
Beecher, IL
October 16, 2013
Purchased their 'Chesnok' Red Garlic Bulb - FIERY - Jumbo Bulb on eBay. The following is the exchange of emails regarding this item. This listing is still active.

I wrote;

Received jumbo bulbs today and was disappointed by the size of the bulbs. These (my opinion) are not jumbo and suggest that you consider revising the description and title of this item. I look forward to you response and will hold my feedback until Thursday evening.

They responded;

That they checked with the Holland grower and they are correctly graded as jumbo.

I provided Hirts with the following;

MSU Extension Bulletin E-2722 provides the following information on grading and size.

Garlic is graded on the basis of appearance and size. Poor-looking bulbs with missing or diseased cloves or split or badly stained skins are graded out. Bulbs with good appearance are graded into size categories based on diameters of large (>2.5 inches), medium (2.0 to 2.5 inches) and small (<2.0 inches). Another category, Jumbo (>3.0 inches), can be added if enough bulbs reach that size.

The garlic that I received was not in the stated category of Jumbo. I look forward to a timely response.

Hirts responded;

the garlic is grown in Holland is graded by Holland. They do not use the MSU Extension Bulletin.

I responded with;

Thank you for the response and I will tell you that assuming on this transaction has resulted in garlic that is smaller than I wanted and garlic that was exported rather than grown in Ohio. I hope you will reconsider your wording on this auction. Please note that I have not asked for resolution as it's always buyer beware and I accept my role in this transaction.

In closing this is a prime example of never assume and ask before buying.

Negative ohioshane
Defiance, OH
September 13, 2013
I ordered ghost chili plants and received red savanna habenaros . What a disappointment. Will never order from again
Positive paully37
Ann Arbor, MI
July 6, 2013
I ordered 3 hardy kiwi plants & 2 pawpaws from hirts gardens last month. The plants were shipped in pots (a plus because most everything else I have ordered from other companies was shipped bare root.) The plants arrived quickly and healthy and are still doing great!! They did ship them in packing peanuts which I find to not be ideal. But they arrived healthy and quickly & I guess that is what is most important. I am pleased with hirts gardens and would order again!
Negative clantonnaomi
Iredell, TX
July 6, 2013
I ordered 4 tomato plants from Hirt's Gardens via Amazon on June 26, 2013. They were supposed to be mailed immediately; however, I did not get them until July. The plants were totally dry, in fact the medium they were planted in felt like cardboard. They were wilted, yellow. and half dead. They were covered in packing peanuts and this was the only packing material. I emailed them and told them I had been ordering from companies online for many years and these were the worst looking plants I had ever received. After contacting Amazon they emailed back telling me to send a picture. I thought about it and emailed them back to just forget it and I would just give them bad reviews instead. They did issue a refund but told me I would have to mail the plants back to them next time or send pictures. I just want everyone to know about this company . There will never be a next time for me!
Positive iowhen
Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a)
June 27, 2013
Just received 7 plants, delivery was prompt. Not the most secure packaging I have ever seen, but in this case it sufficed. The plants look robust and no parts were broken. The day the order shipped, I received a credit for two plants I had ordered but were not available.
Positive min_bee
Nyack, NY
June 24, 2013
Have ordered twice in 2013, with excellent results each time.
Positive jedoody
Las Vegas, NV
June 15, 2013
I purchased a Michelia Alba,on Amazon,from 9GreenBox who I believe is a part of Hirt's Garden. The plant arrived in 6 days in really great condition. Loaded with branches and leaves. I would purchase from this vendor again.
Negative markcant
Wake Forest, NC
May 27, 2013
Bought three fargesia rufa bamboo plants from Hirt's on Amazon last June, and to my amazement, they arrived looking very healthy. After extricating them from the accursed styrofoam peanuts that seems to be the company's signature, I planted them in a semi-sunny spot after amending the soil with compost and watering them in. I had also purchased a larger specimen locally, so I planted it a few feet away from the other three. So far so good.

And then the Hirt's bamboo began to die. I watered some more, put some extra mulch around them, but nothing did any good. By winter they were dead, but the larger one just a few feet away sailed through winter with no problems and is thriving now. They obviously were shipped with some kind of disease. I ordered them because they were cheap, just asking for yet another lesson in "you get what you pay for." And I got it. That'll be the last time I order from Hirt's, and I will spread the word among my gardening friends to stay away.
Negative rugbycrumpet
Sharon, MA (Zone 6a)
May 25, 2013
Posted on February 28, 2013, updated May 25, 2013
I have purchased many herb & perennial plants from Hirt's over the years and have been very pleased each time. The plants are always healthy and reasonably priced. This is one of my favorite online nurseries.
On May 25th, 2013, rugbycrumpet changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I don't know what's been going on there at Hirts. In the past, I have nothing but great things to say about this company. But my past 2 recent transactions have been very disappointing. Both related to shipping.

I received a shipping confirmation (but no tracking number)for my last purchase, then it went into limbo for 2 weeks. I did not receive the package so I contacted Hirts. They apologized and said there was a screw-up and they will ship the package again. Well, when I received the package another week later, the plants were all yellow and nearly dead. It appeared that they didn't attempt to check the contents before reshipping the package. These plants have been in transit for the past 3 weeks.

I will not be buying from this company again.
Positive mboutet
Rochester, NY
May 7, 2013
I've ordered many times from Hirt's over the years and have never had a bad experience, either with plants or seeds. The variation in reviews is puzzling.
Negative KOKOJO
Ozark, MO
May 6, 2013
I have ordered over 100 plants from various etailers. Hirt's Gardens has to be the worst. I ordered an unusual butterfly bush from Hirt's and when I received it I was amazed. It was a single twig with some scraggly root hairs hanging from it in about 2 ounces of dirt as poorly packaged as I have ever seen. I immediately contacted Hirt's via EBay email and reported the condition of the plant and the packaging. I told them I would try to make it grow. I created a "safe" environment for it to no avail. I'm now trying to get a refund. Hirt's is giving me the runaround. If you can buy your plant somewhere else, DO IT! I should have heeded all the "negatives". ALAS!
Negative NadaName
Cedar Rapids
United States
May 3, 2013
I ordered four epazote "plants" from Hirt's Gardens off Amazon. I was sent four pots of germinated seeds. The tops of the pots were sealed with masking tape. During shipping, the germinated seeds stuck to the tape. Hirt's Gardens misrepresented his product with a photo of a plant on Amazon. I requested a credit. Hirt's replied that I would receive the credit if I removed the negative comment regarding the seller off Amazon. After the credit was issued, Hirt's sent me three e-mails in one day demanding that I remove the comment. I am not going to bullied or harassed by a company. This man needs to learn to conduct his business honestly and ethically. He has changed his name on Amazon from "Hirt's Gardens" to "Hirt's Herbs." I wish I had seen this site prior to my purchase and read the other 104 other negative experiences with Hirt's Gardens!
Positive SLuangkhot
Alexandria, VA
April 29, 2013
Very quick shipping, and my plants came in great condition. I only ordered a pineapple plant and a plumeria for my sunroom, but both are already doing well.

Glad I didn't read all the negative reviews first--they would have scared me away! I don't mind the packing peanuts; I'm actually recycling them by giving them to a friend who is moving. If you have your doubts, place a small order and try them out!
Positive bestoutdoors
Nashville, TN
April 25, 2013
I ordered 1 female and 1 male of Ken's Hardy Kiwi. The small leafed-out plants arrived promptly and in good condition.
Negative Isvlives2
Huntersville, NC
April 24, 2013
Posted on March 21, 2013, updated April 24, 2013
I ordered a new variety of winterberry by Proven Winners, "Berry Poppins" and "Mr Poppins" in 4" pots. Hirt's had the best price and availability though Amazon. They were in their dormant state. In one shipment the box was to small and the stems were broken in half. These are small plants already so it didn't leave much left. I contacted Hirt's with pictures and requested replacement plants. Mr. Hirt chose to refund and said I could reorder. As time progressed the remaining plants started to put out leaves except for three. Contacted Hirt's and requested replacement plants. Again, he chose to refund with no explanation. In both boxes there were no planting instructions although the invoice mentioned "follow enclosed planting instructions". I will say Mr. Hirt was very prompt in responding to my email, in most cases same day. Also, each time issued a refund right away through Amazon. He even sent me the Proven Winners tags when they came in. The quantity I ordered was for a landscape design. With the plants being a new variety they are hard to find. So, I am left short plants for the design but do not feel comfortable ordering from Hirt's again. I wish I knew why they didn't want to send replacement plants in both cases.
On April 24th, 2013, Isvlives2 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I am changing my rating to a Negative. All the plants I ordered, ten total, were in a domant stage when purchased. All but one remained dead. The only plant to survive was the "sugar baby" forsythia. I just contacted Matt about a grass, "burgandy bunny" that never survived. He was quick to respond. I requested a new plant and he issued a refund with no explantion why a new plant could not be sent. Between poor packing and dead plants I will not order from this company again.
Negative gerryo1
Lynchburg, VA
April 14, 2013
Didn't see an E-mail link to the company, so...
Cheers for the speedy delivery of two kiwi vines and a banana plant: Ordered on Wednesday; received on Saturday.
Jeers for using plastic popcorn and overstuffing three plants into a USPS shipping box. The kiwis are fine; the banana has two broken leaves/stems and looks less than stellar. Will not order from them again as long as they use popcorn. There are a multitude of shipping options other than Styrofoam which are far friendlier to the environment and kinder to the plants.