The scoop on 'DollarSeedStore.com'

DollarSeedStore.com

1 Parkton Ave
Greenwood, South Carolina 29647 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Park Seed Company (aka Park's Gardens)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

No positives

Comments:

Negative flowergirl1956
Grand Rapids, MI
May 3, 2013
BAD SEEDS!! I ordered 20 kinds of flower seeds & only 5 came up.Tried to log into my account there & suddenly didn't have one. Have tried to contact them several times & have never gotten a response back. Will never use them again!
Negative Riverland
Northeast, LA (Zone 8a)
May 21, 2010
Posted on March 21, 2008, updated May 21, 2010
I have ordered biodomes from them many times with no problems other than maybe a free gift missing. This time my experience has been terrible I ordered on the tenth, they did not ship till the thirteenth. Confirm number is not existing at fedex. It is now the 21st and still no biodomes. I needed these the week I ordered them . Eleven days and still no pkg.
On May 21st, 2010, Riverland added the following:

The biodomes are now the same price as the regular store. No savings on postage either.
Negative macsie
Greenbush, MI (Zone 4b)
March 8, 2008
After completing an order for over $20,.00, I was told I could only pay via credit card. This is contary to their stated payment methods. I wanted to pay via PAYPAL!

Sorry, they lost a customer!
Negative containergarden
Los Angeles, CA
December 15, 2007
I recently ordered many varieties of lima bean seeds from Dollar Seeds (Park) because, being in the south, they have a much larger selection of lima beans than more reliable seed providers in the northeast and west. The seeds just arrived, and to my dismay, all the seeds were imported from China, known for contaminating all sorts of products and misusing genetic plant material. I've written to Dollar to ask them to send me a return mailer. I would not even open these seeds.

To date, my experience on germination with vegetable seeds from Dollar has been mixed, not as good as Nichols, my favorite, but no worse than Pinetree.
Negative chunx
San Diego, CA
July 13, 2006
This is a difficult one to rate since it's part of Park Seed. I'll do the good first: I really like the Bio-Dome seed starters. They are discounted quite a bit (over $7 off) from the Park's website and catalog. You get free shipping on anything over $20 which is quite a savings. The shipping was fast and Park's had good customer service. The website is updated frequently so you know what is sold out because it disappears. The website is easy to navigate and order from.

The bad: It's owned by Park Seed, a company that is going downhill faster than the Titanic sank. Their website states, "Each season, Park Seed estimates the amount of seed needed to fill projected orders and always orders just a little extra seed to make sure we have enough. From time to time, our seed shelves get over-filled, and that is when we are able to offer extra special savings to our seed buyers." Wow, this is one huge exaggeration! Most of the seeds are from last year or beyond that and seldom from this season. You will seldom find these seed varieties listed in their current catalogs. It also says you will get 20% more seeds than listed. I didn't. I got less in 2 out of the 5 packets I ordered. One package of seeds failed to germinate at all. They have a big markdown from the Park's catalog on Jiffy products, however you can still get them cheaper at Stokes Seeds' everyday prices, Lowe's or Home Depot. At times they offer bulbs and plants. If you are a Park's customer and you've ordered bulbs or plants, then you know what to expect except this stuff will be at the end of the season so it will be even worse than what you would normally receive.

So a neutral they get because I received my order quickly and it wasn't damaged, the price of the Bio-Dome was a lot less, and I got free shipping. I doubt if I would order seeds from them again, and I sure know I'd never order bulbs or any type of plants. If I want cheap seeds to fill in an area, I'll stick with ValueSeeds.com (Thompson & Morgan's surplus). They have a better selection, you get more seeds, they're cheaper, and they have all germinated for me.
On April 3rd, 2007, chunx changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I guess I forgot what I previously wrote, so this is partly my fault for ordering from them again. I was suckered in by the prices for a few packs of seeds. I should have paid attention to when the items were added to the website. These were the same seeds they were offering last year and that would make them AT LEAST 2 years old, problably a lot older from the rate of germination I received. Of the impatiens, one germinated out of 16 seeds, zero for the coleus, 5 seeds from the salvia, and only 6 out of 15 marigold seeds. I have had marigold seeds germinate that were over 5 years old, so I assume these were left over from 1952. Never again.