The scoop on 'Willow Creek Gardens'

Willow Creek Gardens

Willow Creek Gardens has 500 products listed in PlantScout.

2521 Oceanside Blvd., Suite A
Oceanside, California 92054 (United States)

Phone: 760-721-7079

This company is affiliated with Easy to Grow Bulbs

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Company Comment, posted on March 20, 2009:
Willow Creek Gardens is dedicated to providing:

- Quality flower bulbs and plants that are large, healthy and true to name
- An unusual selection so there's always something fun to try
- Helpful online how-to information
- No substitutions unless you specifically request
- Prompt, personalized customer service via email and phone
- Detailed order acknowledgments and shipping notices so you know what's happening and when (plus you can specify preferences)

Visit WillowCreekGardens.com for gardening that's fun, interesting and designed for success.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Vickalee
Perrysburg, OH
September 16, 2014
I placed an order for garlic bulbs for an upcoming class I'm teaching and finally reached Willow Creek almost in a panic. After getting less than positive responses from several other companies due to the volume I needed, Willow Creek came through! It's frustrating to get an email or "current" catalog from several places encouraging you to place an order only to find out that every other person in the country placed their order all the way back in January and they apparently don't have enough of what you need or when it might be shipped. Even though it was touch and go when my order would arrive, Dena in sales came to my rescue! From where I'm sitting, her extra effort and maybe "prayer" helped get it here. At this point I would be impressed with her effort even if my order didn't arrive on time. From the reviews I've read this place has earned my business! Dena rocks!
Positive bth
La Jolla, CA
April 6, 2014
Am posting this review to Dave's Garden because I discovered Willow Creek Gardens here by searching for a particular plant (Poet's Jasmine), and Willow Creek Gardens was one of the few nurseries listed that carried it. Although they are located in North County San Diego where I also live, I was not familiar with them. A fortunate discovery. I purchased and received the plants quickly. Their customer service was excellent and the plants are beautiful. Far larger and healthier than from other mail order companies that stock and send them. Very happy.
Positive emmaex
Bordelonville, LA
October 8, 2013
If you want to deal with a company that has high quality bulbs, excellent customer service, careful packaging and fast delivery this is the company to order from. I have dealt with companies nationwide. This company is among the most impressive.
Positive buggycrazy
Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b)
July 10, 2013
Posted on March 11, 2010, updated July 10, 2013
extremely good service, fast and friendly and great quality!
On July 10th, 2013, buggycrazy added the following:

I received some very disappointing specimens of rather difficult to find bulbs this year and in poor condition, but Willow Creek has great customer service and is making it right.
Positive KMAPINK
May 1, 2013
I ordered from Willow Creek Gardens for the first time. My order was for two Passion Flower plants. The order arrived wonderfully packaged with no damages and as well the plants were of excellent quality and size. I will certainly order from Willow Creek again.
Positive kbrehm
Red Bluff, CA
April 24, 2013
I ordered 25 Hosta from this company. I received my order within a week. Each hosta had at least 8 to 10 eyes and all were large with a massive root system. I planted them, following the instructions provided, and within a week all plants are up and leafed out. The packaging was great. In fact maybe a little to good as it took me a while to unpack. There were no problems with this order but wanted to mention that Willow Creek is affiliated with Easy to Grow Bulbs, which I have also ordered from. There was a tiny error made on that order but Kathleen, who handles the problems, was wonderful and very helpful. I will be using these companies for most of my plant and bulb needs. I give them a 5***** rating.
Positive scott55tx
Duncanville, TX
June 5, 2012
Posted on June 5, 2012, updated June 5, 2012
First time doing business with this company and decided to give them a try after reading all the good reviews.I placed an order for 11 different hostas.They were bareroot and extremely nice plants.Great root systems and very nice tops.I was very pleased with my first order.Delivery was also very fast.,3 days from California to Texas.Definitely will do business again.Want to try out some of there container perennials.
On June 5th, 2012, scott55tx added the following:

Willow Creek Gardens also sent free flower bulbs with my order
wish was very nice to get
Positive chickabeegrrl
Sacramento, CA
April 7, 2012
Super fast shipping and great service. They made a mistake with one of my plants (sent the wrong one). When I called their customer service line, there was quite literally no wait. The rep apologized for the error and told us to enjoy the "free gift" and that our missing item was on its way. Aside from that, the other plants ordered were in very good condition, packaged nicely, and of good size.
Positive jdo1217
El Mirage, AZ (Zone 9b)
March 21, 2012
In addition to the large, healthy plants and bulbs that are very well packaged for shipping, I have to rate this company #1 in customer service. One plant in my order was incorrect, and Kathleen replied to my e-mail almost immediately with an apology and confirmation that the correct plant was being shipped. Can't ask for better service than that! (This company is also known as Easy To Grow Bulbs.)
Positive PattiN1
Phoenix, AZ
June 30, 2011
Willow Creek Gardens is simply the best when it comes to ordering bulbs - the bulbs are huge, most are sprouting and ready to plant when you receive them. Kathleen in Customer Service is very knowledgeable, quick to respond and so very nice! I had one begonia that did not come up - well they sent me a package of three new bulbs, again nice big ones, ready to plant. And they did this very quickly!

I sure do appreciate all the encouragement and advice they give. The best thing is that they actually respond to emails!
I have referred all my friends to their website, because of the great product they ship out, very responsive customer service, knowledgeable people to deal with, and the big selection of plants. I don't feel as though I'm just another number.

I give Willow Creek Gardens - and Kathleen - an A+! Give them a try, you can't go wrong.

Patti Newlin
Positive jimsgem
Lawrenceville, GA (Zone 7b)
June 2, 2011
My first order with this company and they shipped my order quite fast. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and size of the Begonia Picotee Sunbursts that arrived; large and healthy. They are now beginning to emerge, but what bulbs! So big! Hopefully, these will make beautiful blooms. This will probably not be my only order from this company.
Positive naturemaiden
Cutchogue, NY
May 17, 2011
Posted on April 5, 2011, updated May 17, 2011
Just received my first order and was SO pleased! The plants were BIG, healthy and packaged well. Even got free plant food for the roses! I referred my friend today and she already placed an order. I plan on being a repeat customer, and would recommend them to all my friends. A++++++++++++++++ Company! Thank you!
On May 17th, 2011, naturemaiden added the following:

May 17, 2011- All the plants I received from Willow Creek April 5th are growing SO beautiful!!!! I am so pleased with this company. I will definitely be a return customer! Thank you Willow Creek!
Positive Alethea75
April 25, 2011
THANK YOU WILLOW CREEK GARDENS! I just received my first order from Willow Creek Gardens - wasn't sure how well I would like the company since 1) the price was cheaper than everyone else and 2) I have had bad experience with mail order before and it is a hassle to deal with. But I really wanted to obtain the Climbing Lily - the order process was very easy. The tubers arrived in excellent condition and the instruction label with the tubers even told me how much water they need per week! I am definitely going to keep this company in mind to order from them again in the future and tell my garden friends about them as well.
Positive jamesr8
Bridgewater, MA
April 11, 2011
Best bulbs I have yet seen. Easy order and prompt shipping. Ordered half a dozen Arisemas and was surprised at the size of the bulbs and the care taken in packing and shipping. Rated A+.
Positive BrandonCornejo
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
March 26, 2011
I made a purchase in 2010. The Benfica amarylis was huge and had three stems, the papillo amaryllis was smaller, I'm still waiting for it to bloom. I got some free bulbs, worth like $10, that have bloomed very well. The hostas I recieved were sad, but I contacted them and they sent some to me fresh from the fields the following spring that literally had 10 eyes and were clearly ready to grow. I am very pleased with this company, and I hope that you chose their company. (Hint) For Southern California people, purchase in spring as they have more bulbs available that will perenialize. A++++++
Kathleen, thanks soooo much :)
Positive broadway1
Hamtramck, MI
November 19, 2010
Wow! Impossible to be concise when describing my out- of- this- world first experience with Willow Creek Gardens and the most dedicated and knowledgeable Kathleen. She deserves as many gold stars as you've got lying around!.. My August order was a bit complicated: Oxalis which in my zone 5 will not winter over and then three different varieties of Amaryllis which were to be mailed in the middle of Fall. Our email exchanges filled with much insider plant advice regarding my two distinctly different purchases continued for days and with her multitude of expert information the two Oxalis have bloomed nicely and the Amaryllises well on their way. The plant material itself was substantial and so very healthy, well packaged and everything in order. But the customer service was like none other; Kathleen obviously enjoys her job and is oh so good at it. I could go on forever about my most positive experience but, suffice to say ( this indoor gardener has well over 200 house plants with some as large as 10 feet tall!), I would highly recommend putting your trust in Willow Creek Gardens -- fantastic in every way -- and hats off to Kathleen who made the complete experience a total joy!
Positive eclayne
East Longmeadow, MA (Zone 5b)
August 2, 2010
This is what internet shopping is supposed to be like! They provided ship date (based upon my USDA Zone), shipping confirmation (right on time), quick professional customer service and best of all super corms (healthy and PRODUCTIVE). I haven't come across a better experience.
Positive gennyga
Decatur, GA
June 10, 2010
I received my bulbs on time and the lilies were literally bursting through the plastic with growth. Due to scheduling snafus in our garden construction, I was unable to plant them, along with 90 other bulbs, for two weeks. The customer service rep spent 30 minutes with me discussing our optimum storage choices and other suggestions for my cottage garden plantings. I was truly impressed by the quality of the bulbs and the detailed attention I was given by the company. My favorite garden purchase online ever!
Positive DoniTexas
Hitchcock, TX
June 8, 2010
The bulbs and plants were healthy. They are all growing and thriving. The shipping was excellent. I will buy from them again. My online experience with them was positive.
Positive YvonneMal
Susquehanna, PA
May 19, 2010
Ordered Hosta Border Dozen, Astilbe Collection and Strawberry's on Sale. All true as advertised. Nice bareroot Hostas raring to grow. Large and some mega-large Astilbe roots raring to grow.

Not too thrilled on the "Idea" strawberry's but will see how they grow. The other ones are large leaves and nice.

Thx for the free bulbs.

Your service and bareroots bulbs definately encourage repeat customers. Thx!
Positive lexa403
Doyle, TX
April 14, 2010
I had a great experience with Willow Creek Gardens! I ordered Astilbes, Ranunculus, Lily of the valley, and Hosta bulbs. I received HUGE bulbs that have already grown so nicely in my garden. The astilbe in particular has just grown rapidly! It was a smooth transaction and i received my order quickly and well packaged. Great website and information too! I look forward to my future purchases from this company. Thanks!
Positive CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA (Zone 9a)
April 10, 2010
First time customer. Shipping was fast. Plant looks decent. Will see how it does. So far im happy with the service. Probally will order again. The hibiscus I reveived was a good price.
Positive livinonfaith
Fuquay Varina, NC
April 6, 2010
Really love this company!

I purchased a wide assortment of bulbs from Willow Creek last fall. I'm still just trying to figure out which plants will work in my North Carolina zone 7b garden, so I ordered small amounts of about 12 different kinds of bulbs.

They arrived very quickly and were obviously packed with care. All of the bulbs were firm and healthy and they were definitely larger than the ones I usually see from mail order companies. My "Adventure pack" of free bulbs was 5 leucojum, a 9.00 value. And such big Leucojum! Wow! They bloomed this Spring and they were absolutely gorgeous! In fact, everything that has come up so far has done extremely well. I'm still waiting for several things to bloom as the season progresses, but they look like they are doing great.

What really shines about this company, though, is the customer service. I wanted to add some bulbs after the order had been placed. No problem! I had a question about the Ranunculus. No problem! I called Kathleen my Garden Guru. She just really seems to be a lovely person and helpful to boot!

I would recommend this company to anyone who wants high quality at reasonable prices and needs to know there is someone real at the other end of the line, just in case you need them!
Positive blueeyeskms
Waverly, KS (Zone 5b)
March 9, 2010
Just realized I hadn't rated this company from a previous order. This transaction was very good. Had problems with one color of carpet rose in a landscaped bed; Kathleen replaced all of that color very promptly. Am looking to order again.
Positive stormyla
Norristown, PA (Zone 6b)
November 16, 2009
I've ordered bulbs and plants from this company several times. The orders have all been processed correctly and the plants were all received when promised. The communications were good. The plants and bulbs were all of exceptional size and quality. The prices are extremely attractive. So far, everything I've ordered has grown and bloomed very well. This is definitely a very good source for quality plants.
Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
November 3, 2009
Willow Creek is the BEST!! Due to an unexpected transfer of checking account, debit, etc. my payment was extended many days past the order date. They were wonderfully patient, stayed in excellent contact, very, very understanding!!
The best customer service I have ever had from a company.
Thanks WIllow Creek. I will be back again, and again....and again!!!!
Positive rozrita
Douglasville, GA
October 31, 2009
This was my first time ordering from Willow Creek Gardens, and I will definitely be a repeat customer. I ordered mostly rhizomes, and they were robust and healthy. They were shipped very quickly and were well packed.
Positive mamajack
Fate, TX (Zone 8a)
October 25, 2009
Posted on November 24, 2006, updated October 25, 2009
i am going to write more when i get my order but kathleen at the gardens is super. they had a collection of watsonia and she worked with me for 2 wks as i bought and selected. she answered every email..............PROMPTLY!
On November 27th, 2006, mamajack added the following:

the other thing i would say is that they have a wonderful selection of bulbs for my southern garden.
On December 12th, 2006, mamajack added the following:

i got the bulb order today. tons of extras.............just tons. good sized bulbs. packed well. thank you jon and kathleen. it was a pleasure doing business with you both and i look forward to ordering again next year. and, did i say i got tons of extras?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On October 25th, 2009, mamajack added the following:

i hosted a co-op for amaryllis in which we bought almost 500 bulbs with 50 people involved. kathleen and jon went out of their way to help us. every problem that arose was dealt with immediately. most of the time problems were dealt with in the same hour as my email. the quality of the bulbs....all 500 was amazing. many of the ones i received still had white roots and others in the co-op report the same level of freshness. the other writer that said there needed to be more than 5 stars for some companies was correct. willow creek is one of the most customer friendly companies i have ever dealt with. na'cho 1 and na'cho 2 dg amaryllis co-ops salute willow creek.
Positive stetchworth
Ocean Springs, MS (Zone 8b)
October 22, 2009
There should be a rating higher than positive for this company. I received bulbs from them in a coop and they were just huge beautiful bulbs and so well packed. After this I will order all of my bulbs from this company in the future. This is a five star company.
Positive StellysPapa
Dothan, AL (Zone 8a)
June 11, 2009
This was a first time for any nursery I have ever done buisiness with.........I placed an order this morning, June 11,09 and get an email saying it has been shipped already...........in other words, I placed the order and have had it shipped in the same day. Now, I call that most excellent service.
I have bought from them earlier this year. Good communication between customer and customer service, plants arrived in a timely manner and in good condition.
I will buy from them again.
Positive connieslemon
Mountain View, CA
May 27, 2009
I have not yet ordered from this company, but I will shortly. I am very pleased with the customer service so far, however. I had questions about the size of the plastic pot that a plant would arrive in and whether it would need repotting upon arrival. I got the answers and more very promptly from Kathleen McCarthy. I look forward to dealing with Willow Creek Gardens again very soon!
Positive mr_toad
Valdese, NC
April 24, 2009
i ordered four tropicana lilies arrived on schedule very well packed and were large growing bulbs all four bulbs had more than one eye customer service was informative and very helpful

will order again
Positive montsho
Tracy, CA (Zone 9b)
April 24, 2009
I ordered what should have been the same plant I ordered before from another company and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was actually a plant and not a seedling. It even looked like the online pictures. My plant was healthy and did not look like it was shipped at all. Highly recommend this company.
Positive timbers
Vallejo, CA
April 24, 2009
Received my order of border dahlias, freesias and rain lilies today. They were well packed and in excellent condition. I would definitely purchase from them again in the future.
Negative TheGenerator
Snoqualmie, WA
April 20, 2009
I've ordered bulbs from Willow Creek Farms once and Easy to Grow Bulbs (which I believe is the same company) once. Both times, I received bulbs that did not perform and both times I contacted customer service via e-mail and both times I received an 'aww too bad' response. There was never any offer to refund my money or send replacements. I've received plenty of bulbs through mail order from other companies and they have done just fine, so I know it's not my soil health or anything that I am doing wrong. I will NEVER buy from this company again.
Company representative comment on April 21, 2009:
On Apr 20, 2009 10:28 PM, Willow Creek Gardens responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customer's disappointment. After reviewing the orders in question, we find no customer communication regarding last spring's order from Easy to Grow Bulbs, but do have emails regarding the Willow Creek Gardens order. Per the customer, her region experienced a long winter this year and the bulbs dug up in April were squishy. Weather Service reports confirm extended cold, atypically large amounts of snow and a cold week long span in mid December when nightly temperatures were sometimes below 10 degrees.

Looking at order detail, some bulbs purchased are not hardy in the customer's region so were risky at best, while the others would be expected to survive average weather. (Growing zone information relies on National Weather Service historical averages.) Given the unusually cold, wet weather and the spring condition of the bulbs, it appears they suffered winter kill. This was explained by the customer service rep. We also checked to see if there had been other issues with the varieties in question and there have not, indicating an isolated incident.

Because weather extremes are beyond our control, we cannot guarantee products against weather related damage. This is noted on our website guarantee page. However, if this customer will contact us, we'll work to find a solution to the situation.

Positive heavenscape
TabacVille, NC (Zone 7a)
April 17, 2009
Purchased some Gloriosa Lily tubers from them. VERY inexpensive and healthy tubers. Extremely fast shipping and wonderful support staff.
Positive bwhiten
Grayson, GA
April 12, 2009
Excellent packaging and low shipping costs. The plants arrived looking great and on time. Looking forward to ordering again!
Positive nonigardens
Provo, UT
April 10, 2009
I have ordered from Willow Creek Gardens for the last three years. The orders have been shipped quickly, the plants have been in terrific shape and the customer service has been impeccable. I will continue to use them as a source of plant material.
Coleen Toone
Morinda Gardens
Provo, Utah
Positive julianchandler
Stillwater, OK
March 27, 2009
I had been searching for Amazon lily bulbs (Eucharis grandiflora) for some time, and I finally found them on the Willow Creek Gardens website. The bulbs were not in stock at that time, so the listing instructed customers to contact Willow Creek for availability, which I did. I was advised by return email that they did not know for sure whether they would be able to get the bulbs, but that if they did, they would let me know. I figured that I would never hear any more about this, but several months later, lo and behold I received an email from Willow Creek telling me that they had the bulbs in stock! When I received the bulbs (10 of them) this week, nine were in excellent condition, but one of them was nothing but mush. I sent an email to Willow Creek explaining the situation and received a prompt and gracious reply apologizing for the problem and promising to send a replacement bulb immediately. What great customer service! I'll definitely be ordering from Willow Creek again.
Positive MyZone8
Collins
United States
March 16, 2009
Ordered several bulbs everything arrived in timely matter and in good condition. Will order again.