The scoop on 'Perennial Pleasures Nursery'

Perennial Pleasures Nursery

East Hardwick, Vermont 05836 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: $3

Visit Perennial Pleasures Nursery at:

Comments:

Negative krauskg
Peacham, VT (Zone 4b)
August 11, 2014
While the selection of phlox cultivars is impressive, some of the other perennials for sale are hardly "pleasures" The owner was raving about mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris, which is a nasty invasive in much of the East, as well as a giving many people allergic reactions as strong as ragweed. This nursery is also selling Saponaria officinalis "Flore pleno" which is also extremely aggressive and can never be eradicated. Nurseries need to be more responsible in selling so many species, or at least warn customers of the potential hazards.
Positive Mylena1
Cliff Island, ME
May 14, 2012
I have some experience in dealing with mail order nurseries and I can say that Perennial Pleasures Nursery is one of the best. The plants that I received looked very nice and healthy, and now they are growing and I enjoy looking at them, they are just perfect, nobody would even think that they came packed in a box a few weeks ago. I ordered only three plants, still they sent me a fourth as a bonus It is such a pleasure to deal with Perennial Pleasures. THANK YOU!
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
April 26, 2012
With perhaps the largest collection of Phlox paniculata cultivars ever seen in North America, Perennial Pleasures Nursery is a treasure. I ordered many cultivars from them this winter and was beyond pleased to receive my order today. Plants were lovingly packed with newsprint (hooray for no peanuts!) and all were large, healthy and with multiple stems. As I was planting them, I was thrilled to see the extensive root systems. Because of these plants, I now feel confident that I will have late summer color and fragrance in my garden, in addition to a long blooming nectar source for bees and butterflies.

The owner of Perennial Pleasures also sold me some barefoot divisions of double pink and double white saponaria. I was pleasantly surprised at how robust and generous these divisions actually were. Someday I may come to rue the day I planted these rapid spreaders in my garden, but for now I feel like I have won the lottery. I have searched for these plants for several years.

I can't say enough good things about this nursery. Communication was superb and their website is a wonderful read. If I ever find myself in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom during the growing season, I am sure this would be quite a special nursery to explore!
Positive paracelsus
Elmira, NY (Zone 6a)
May 23, 2008
I was so glad to find a company that had Artemisia pontica plants, which I have wanted for years, but I felt a little worried that they did not have an online order form and that they discouraged calls. I ordered some plants anyhow, because I really wanted these plants. They came and they were burstingly healthy little devils, lovingly wrapped with hand-written labels. I would love to go and visit in person now, as I see they have a bunch more Artemisias.
Positive girlgroupgirl
September 23, 2006
I placed an order with Perennial Pleasures nursery for the first time this past spring on recommendation from my gardening pal slubberdegulion. The staff at the nursery are excellent with communication, letting me know when they could send, asking politely for extra funds due to an unforseen increase in postal costs (and higher gas bills to heat the greenhouses). The extra cost was minimal. Although some of the plants were fairly small when they arrived (it was early in the growing season for Vermont!), I was very pleased with everything. All the plants have grown very nicely, and I was able to find some cultivars not available elsewhere! I will definately be ordering from this nursey again.
I would also highly recommend Perennial Pleasures if you value great customer service, and unique selections of old-fashioned type plants!!

Positive mooshmellow
Fallston, MD
February 15, 2005
I have ordered from this company for a few years and have found every aspect of the experience pleasant. The plants are reasonably priced, large, healthy, and well-packaged; the cultivation instructions are clear (and often quite witty), and the personal service exceptional.
Positive slubberdegulion
Roanoke, VA (Zone 7a)
September 22, 2004
I just received my order and am very pleased. The prices were very good and the plants are healthy. The bare root plants were carefully packed and had excellent root structure. I was glad to find a reasonably priced source for Primula and am glad to have bible leaf to sniff again.
Positive frenchlepard
Dover, MA
May 14, 2004
I have purchased primula, peonies, annual starts, seeds and other plants from Perennial Pleasures on three occasions and they are one of the best. The plants are all lovingly prepared for shipment, so even though many are bare root, they thrive immediately upon planting. Their primula vulgaris are amazing! I have visited their operation in Vermont and it is also a pleasure - friendly, knowledgeable service in a beautiful setting. I strongly recommend Perennial Pleasures, especially for heirloom and antique plants.
Positive Noodles
Olympia, WA
June 15, 2003
I have ordered both seeds and plants, and most have been very successful. The very few that didn't thrive were due to my inattention or neglect. Very helpful information in the catalog about historic period gardens. Old fashioned "Lemon (day)lily" plants I ordered several years ago are a delight. Many hard-to-find heirloom plants and seeds with very thorough historical background and growing culture information in the descriptions.

Highly recommend both plants and seeds from this company.
Positive juliewelch
February 1, 1997
It is first-rate in my opinion. Everything shows up healthy, alive, and ready to grow. You can tell the plants have been carefully handled by people who care about them. It has been in operation for about sixteen years and is a family operation, owned by Rachel Kane. I can't give it high enough praise. (She even sends complimentary seeds, flowers along with hand written notes, how many big commercial nurseries do that anymore?). If you haven't done business with this company, I suggest that you look into it.
Positive MichaelArnowitt
November 1, 1996
This is also a great place to visit. Call ahead for "tea" complete with cucumber sandwiches; the gardens are pretty. I have not done mail order, as they are just up the road, but the plants I've gotten have done well.