The scoop on 'Park Seed Wholesale Growers'

Park Seed Wholesale Growers

2 Parkton Ave.
Greenwood, South Carolina 29647 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-845-3366
Fax: 1-800-209-0360

This company is affiliated with Park Seed Company (aka Park's Gardens)

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Negative Mertsie
(Zone 6b)
June 11, 2009
1st comment I posted was neutral-asparagus ordered, arrived late for my area, already out of dormancy and ended up being all female plants when supposed to be male Jersey Knight. Called, they agreed easily to a refund to CREDIT CARD. Now posting Negative Comment...2-3 weeks later, I have just received a card in the mail for a company credit instead of refund. Called and they said it "should" be fixed...Guess they needed to hold onto my money a little longer so they could make enough interest on it to earn back their loss from my return? There was also still no offer to refund shipping, even after mess up #2.
Positive Bgriffin
Oakland, CA
April 21, 2008
Ever since they have been associated with Jackson and Perkins Co. their customer service has been much better. My shipment arrived on time and when I had a question about my order they answered me promptly. I will have to see how they do with my much bigger spring order to see how they do with that, to say they have improved to the level of Jackson and Perkins excellant service and plant gurantee. I will let you know.....
Negative ashleeluv21
Pocatello, ID
November 3, 2007
I ordered 2 sets of Cone Flowers from Parks. They were at one time my favorite Nursery to order from but now No way!!
I ordered a double set of the coneflowers and if anyone orders from them you will understand you do not have time to have plants up before the warranty is over. Back to the Cone Flowers I ordered them in 2006 and in 2007 when I only had 2 plants come up I was furious. Parks flatly refused to refund or ship the plants back. One CS rep told me I should have called in May or June. Well I found the orginal email from May 31, 2007 and they still refused to replace my Cone flowers after I meant their requirements I just talked to them last month and every month before. Also I was appalled by plants they sent me they were dead in the pots they sent, and today I received 4 really nice daylillies plus 2 daylillies that were moldy and grossly spongy and the horticulturist said don't plant what ever they have will spread to your other plants.
Thank you and if you turn out to use them GOOD LUCK Customer Service is the worst I always have to go to Supervisors and there is no guarantee you will get any thing box. The plants I described were dead when they arrived these were like the cone flowers.
Positive soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA (Zone 7b)
October 10, 2007
I got some great deals on some deeply discounted plants. I was very happy with most and the ones that were not good were replaced immediately. I'll order again.
Positive wnddyer
Randleman, NC (Zone 7a)
August 19, 2007
Bought two roses (Eden and Neptune), and an iceplant on sale in June. They arrived quickly and they were nicely packed. The bare root roses were huge!!! I was pleasantly suprised! Now it is August, and I have already had a bloom on Eden, but all 3 plants are growing and looking very healthy. Thank you!
Negative LeeAnne151
Portland, OR
July 4, 2007
Purchased this year and last when they had a clearance sale.

Did not receive everything I ordered on any shipment. Did not charge me for the missing plants though.

Some of the plants were great values in great shape. Some were tiny but did live after being babied. Some are still tiny after a year. Others were DOA and never grew even though I tried.

Credit for the dead plants was not honored on this year's order even though I mentioned it when I ordered. I did not bother to report the dead plant on this order.

I did get some new expensive cultivars for really low prices but with the dead plants and shipping charges I'm not sure I really saved any money.

Not going to order again. I only ordered this year to use up the credit from last year.
On April 9th, 2009, LeeAnne151 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

plants labeled "I'm not dead, I'm sleeping" were in fact dead so I ended up with more losses than I thought when I left this review.

Only two plants from the first shipment thrived and grew normally. Several others are still alive but still very small.
Positive gladpuppy1
Stow, OH
July 3, 2007
Overall, I would say my experience with this company was very positive, as they resolved several order problems to my complete satisfaction. Having said that, I would add that some of my plants were quite small and had to be potted and babied along for a bit before they could go to permenant quarters.

I made three orders from this company in the 2007 spring season. One was all calla lilies (about 20 of them) on clearance. All were large, healthy and full of sprouts and shipped promptly.

A second order was 13 assorted plants on clearance. Most, were very small but alive. One shasta daisy had black mold on it, but showed no damage after being rinsed off. One daylily was rotted off at the base but was wrapped in such a way that it was easy to see why the packer missed it, because the top was still green. I called the company immediately about the daylily and they cheerfully sent a replacement at no charge. About three weeks later, one of the ferns leafed out and was the wrong variety, even though the label was correct. I contacted the company again and they were out of the fern, but offered me a merchandise credit. I asked them to credit my card for the price instead and they agreed to do so, so I am satisfied.

The third order was for 5 violas on clearance and all were large and very healthy. I think this shows there is just a lot of variation in plant size going on depending on species and time of year. Be ready to baby along some plants now and then, and call immediately if you have any casualties to report when your order arrives.

Having said all that, in my experience Park Seed has always been great for seeds and bulbs and the wholesaler seems to be the same. The only issues I have ever had were with live plant orders. Still, I have never had them fail me on customer service, and I will keep ordering when they have something unique.

P.S. Save your paperwork. The customer service number is on the back of the papers that come with your order. I could not find any phone number on the website, though I may have been looking in the wrong place.

Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
June 13, 2007
I took advantage of their 2007 summer sale and was extremely pleased with the plant material I received. From order to delivery = 7 days. My experience w/ this seller has been 100% positive.
Positive Sherrona
Watkinsville, GA
March 9, 2007
Since Oct. 2006 I have ordered amaryllis bulbs (Zombie) which had a ceramic planter as bonus. I rec'd bulbs and planter separate still under one ship. The planter was cracked and they replaced it w/ another from Wayside and I was pleased with the replacement and was not charged ship. I also have ordered a Calamondin (hybrid Kumquat drawf) tree from Wayside which I rec'd bareroot and I planted a few days after receiving and it is currently thriving in a lighted window. I plan on placing it outside in a couple of weeks (April) where it should flourish. I admit I have not ordered much but so far I am happy.
Neutral cannaqueen
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
January 31, 2007
I have a small order I am placing with this company.This is their Spring 2007 catalog. The front of the catalog states
20% off any order, which expires 5/15/07. Is this 20% off
before shipping charges, or after shipping charges? I will
send the order in with 20% off before shipping charges.
I will write an opinion on this after I receive my order.
Negative cjolene
Emporia, KS (Zone 5b)
November 22, 2006
Ordered several plants from them (was told they were under new management) and was extremely pleased at all the healthy plants. They made three shipments of my order, though, which I didn't understand, but was happy that they all arrived looking so perfect.
On July 17th, 2007, cjolene changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Above was my order from last year. I had this company as positive. I am now changing it to a negative. I ordered from them again this year (2007) and they sent dead/dying plants, didn't send one plant 1 of the plants was charged for, and 2 of the plants had bugs...one had root mealy bugs and the other had rootknot nematodes. I also got some daylily bulbs which came half rotten. I discarded the rotten part, planted them anyways, and some of them seem to be doing fine. Others didn't make it. I emailed them very politely and pointed out that I have pictures from when the plants arrived. They have not responded at all. It seems that it's a gamble ordering from this company and they apparently have no customer service.
Negative dealton
Shoals, IN
November 6, 2006
I placed an order and received email confirmation for the order plus a 'bonus' of daffodils for fall delivery. Soon the "free" bonus daffodils (which I really didn't want) arrived. I was charged $13.95 for shipping and handling for 20 bulbs.

When my main order didn't arrive I went to the company web site, checked the status of my order and found that my plants were 'out-of-stock.' This left me paying the shipping and handling fee for the "free bonus.".

Parks have not responded to emails concerning this affair.