The scoop on 'Ironwood Estate Orchids'

Ironwood Estate Orchids

3757 Sandy Ford Road
Hickory, North Carolina 28602 (United States)

Comments:

Positive LeeChi
Lenoir, NC
August 22, 2007
I, along with some friends, attended one of Phyllis' Orchid classes, and had a great time. We were not only shown how, but were able to re-pot orchids, that we took home with us. I've never ordered anything from Iron Wood by mail, but if you have the opportunity to go to the greenhouse in person, be prepared to be amazed! I had no idea there were so many different kinds of Orchids. Phyllis took her time and really taught us a lot about Orchids and their care. I bought a varigated Phalenopsis that was still a young plant, and it's already blooming!
I can't say enough about what a friendly, knowledgeable, and patient grower Phyllis is.
Neutral carol_okc
Choctaw, OK
September 17, 2006
Good things - interesting crosses that I was looking for, shipped all the plants I ordered promptly.

Less than good things - loosely packed, so there was some transit damage. Three of the plants showed older damage that was not mentioned in advance (one young plant had two holed leaves, two larger plants had pest damage). Roots in the media were for the most part mushy and black. Aerial roots were in several cases broken. One plant in a 4" pot was seriously overpotted and had virtually no viable roots. Hopefully, with everything now repotted I'll be able to save them. These were not cheap plants - and they may be costly ones.

Email to the vendor after receipt, addressing the problems, was answered fairly promptly, but no remediation was suggested. I hope this wasn't an expensive mistake on my part.