The scoop on 'Thompson and Morgan (UK)'

Thompson and Morgan (UK)

Poplar Lane
Ipswich, Suffolk, IP8 3BU
(United Kingdom)

Phone: +44 (0) 1473 695200
Fax: +44 (0) 1473 690199

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Negative HoCheeZen
Darwen
November 28, 2013
Sorry, but these guys are a joke. I ordered a dark leafed hardy geranium from them. What arrived wasn't what was ordered. They tried to tell me that it was what I'd ordered, but I wasn't keeping it under the correct conditions to get the dark foliage and their 'expert' recommended pretty much the exact opposite conditions to the ones I was giving it! Needless to say, their 'expert' was wrong. Eventually they agreed to send out a replacement plant. Guess what: you got it, they sent the wrong one, not just once, but twice! Now this is getting really silly.
Also ordered several Flying Egret Orchids from them. These arrived as small bulbs. After online research, potted them up in a suitable growing medium and in a suitable site. After 3 years of growing I lost 2 of the plants, but the 3rd one was growing very strongly and seemed to be doing very well. It flowered in the 3rd year and guess what: it wasn't what it was supposed to be, instead I appear to have acquired a lovely strong specimen of the common household spider plant! Conclusion: Thompson & Morgan don't have a clue, avoid them like the plague.
Negative daisychainchand
PORTSMOuth
October 13, 2012
I'm afraid their fruit trees were complete rubbish and the telephone staff, although pleasant, hadn't got a clue.
Yes, the firm did refund me, but the whole excercise was exasperating & a waste of time and trouble.
Positive vitrsna
Colima
Mexico (Zone 11)
February 13, 2012
Posted on January 28, 2012, updated February 13, 2012
I just received my first order with Thompson & Morgan (UK). I can't speak yet regarding the germination rate, but I can say I am pleased with the ordering and shipping processes. My order was not complex...1 packet of 1 type of seed. I opened the packet to be sure the seeds are what they are supposed to be and they are. The order was processed two days after my purchase and received 25 days later which is quite good from the UK to Mexico. Again, my order was not complex and I did not order during "peak" seed ordering time, but I am very happy with the results so far. I have another order pending, so we'll see how that one goes
On February 13th, 2012, vitrsna added the following:

I have just received my second order from Thompson & Morgan (UK). I received exactly what I ordered on January 23rd. The order was despatched on January 24th (next day) and received in Colima, Mexico on February 13th so I would consider this to be excellent service. I did have communication with "Customer Service" and received a quick and helpful response from them that left me with the feeling that Thompson & Morgan takes "Customer Service" seriously. Some companies send out an email notice when an order has been shipped and I find this very helpful to know. I did not receive such a notice from T&M for this order though which is why I emailed Customer Service to request the shipment date. The turn around time for both of my orders to date couldn't be better and I will certainly keep them in mind when I am next ready to order because they do have a wonderful variety of seeds.
Company representative comment on January 29, 2012:
On Jan 29, 2012 4:49 AM, Thompson and Morgan (UK) responded with:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require any further assistance in the future.

Kind regards,
Marion Spinks

Positive Izhar
Karachi
Pakistan (Zone 11)
August 26, 2010
Posted on July 15, 2010, updated August 26, 2010
Posted on June 30, 2010, updated July 15, 2010
Quick delivery and excellent germination..!!!

sowed the seeds of:

Hollyhock "Apple blossoms" and "Peaches 'n dreams"
Rudbeckia "Cherry brandy"
Hibiscus moscheutos Disco Sun Belle Mixed

They germinated in 36 hours to be exact..!!!

However, one thing which is disappointing is the quantity of Petunia grandiflora Flambé Salmon seeds... only 13 seeds in the packet, the quantity mentioned was 40.
On July 15th, 2010, Izhar changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

6 out of 8 sown seeds of Datura meteloides Evening Fragrance germinated.
The company's representative told me that they are making up for Petunia seeds by sending another package free of cost. I am very pleased with this company and communication, will surely buy in future also.

On August 26th, 2010, Izhar added the following:

They sent me two packets of Petunia seeds, what more you can ask?? very nice people to communicate with, I am placing another order....
Negative betsynotliz
Uniontown, OH
April 16, 2010
Posted on April 3, 2010, updated April 16, 2010
One of the seed packets I received was completely empty- not a single seed. I emailed the company and told them what happened and immediately received a response that said I'd be getting a response from a customer service person shortly. I have not heard from them since and it has been 5 full business days since I got their email. I'm disappointed. The seeds I did get from them are doing fine, but the customer service should be better if they want repeat business.
On April 16th, 2010, betsynotliz added the following:

It has now been 19 days since I received their email and 13 days since I posted my review. After posting my review I was sent a message that the US office would be notified of my complaint and I would be contacted shortly. I have yet to be contacted regarding my complaint. This is the worst customer service I've received from any company in years.
Neutral splendiflora
Woodstock, IL
March 7, 2009
i have had a mixed result with this company
Positive funkyelephants
Norwich
March 31, 2008
Okay...so this is negative for my current experience. I'm here to moan about the delivery time. The site says, dispatched within a max of 5 woking days...oh, but wait, the 2008 book says two! So which am I to believe?

I have always loved spending hours choosing from T&M catalogues, and especially enjoyed their seasonal offers and vouchers etc, but the delivery this time is appalling!

I ordered just before Easter (bad move I know, but the voucher date would have expired if I did it after), and it's been 7 working days! I made allowances for the Easter bank holiday yet it STILL hasn't arrived. And on top of that, if they haven't dealt with my order yet, the voucher will have run out now and they will probably claim to have not received it on time **Bares teeth***

And I was really looking forward to coming home and seeing them on the doorstep!!! :'( Arrrghhhhh
On April 4th, 2008, funkyelephants added the following:

4th April 08
I have contacted Thompson and Morgan via phone and was told that the company has been very busy (which is understandable this time of year) and that my seeds are due to arrive very soon. Well yes that's good, but let's see if they do! My query was dealt with swiftly and I didn't have to wait on hold for years, so plus points for customer care there.

I was also informed that one of the packets I ordered is totally out of stock so has been deducted from my order. When I asked whether it could be sent along later he said it's already been deducted and is out of stock (my reply to that would have been 'Well it won't always be, will it?' but I stopped myself!) which was a bit of a pain. So as I payed by cheque, maybe they will send some kind of credit note?
On April 5th, 2008, funkyelephants changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I am changing my rating to positive, as although the delivery time took so long, all seeds arrived today everything there apart from one which will be sent along later. I was also compensated by T&M customer care (after being contacted via email about my reviewed delivery problems) with a free packet of the seed which I was previously told I would receive a credit note for, as it came in stock again. I also have the credit note to use next time which is good too.

All the seeds arrived on the same day which was a bonus...I can't wait to start work with them!
Negative liassic
Cardiff
January 21, 2008
We purchased a Christmas pot for a friend as a Christmas present. That was on the 17th December 2007. They guaranteed delivery by Christmas. Our friend didn't get it. Since then we have phoned and e-mailed multiple times and it's the same response - "there's a slight delay and the nursery will send it" They always imply that the "nursery" is out of their control. We have asked for our money back (it's now 21st January 2008!!!) and get the response "Only the supervisor can arrange that". But the supervisor is busy. They promise to get them to phone back. But they don't. This company's customer service is appalling. In our experience I would keep well away from them. Any problems at all and you're asking for trouble. They have already taken our money and not delivered. Thompson and Morgan is a really bad company. They don't deliver and keep your money.
Positive DCarrington
Riverview, NB (Zone 5b)
January 9, 2008
I agree that their seeds are more expensive than a lot of other places. I agree that their selection is vast. I’ve been ordering seeds from T&M for a number of years and have always been happy with them.

One thing comes to mind about Thompson & Morgan prices that I’d like to share with other members. A lot of places have seeds that are a little less expensive, to be sure, and there are a lot of places that are more expensive than Thompson & Morgan, but most of them package their seeds in paper/wax paper envelopes that are folded over and placed inside the seed package.

T&M usually seals their seeds in a waterproof pouch that has a plastic inner lining. It could be pouring rain outside and it would have no affect on the seed. To me, it means the quality of the seed is higher and the germination rate is increased.

Seed count matters too. I have never been shorted seeds. If the package says there are 10 seeds, or 250 seeds, you can be sure the seeds are there and often times there are extras.

Since Pelleted seeds have been around, T&M have offered numerous Pelleted seeds to their customers. We all know that Pelleted seeds cost more, no matter who we buy our seeds from. To the best of my knowledge, T&M stays “Up to date” with new things coming along and often has things in advance of other companies. Ergo the selection and colours are greater.

I'm pleased with them, obviously, and hope you find them as valuable as I have.

Darrell
Positive worthy
westport
Ireland
November 21, 2005
I have been buying seeds and plants from Thompson & Morgan for the past 3 years - ever since I first got into gardening. They were recommended to me by a friend, and I have been extremely happy with the both the products and the service. I have found the specialist plant catalogues (Clematis, Fuschia, Geranium) particularly good as there is a huge choice of plants and all of my purchases have been of excellent quality. On the only occasion that I did have a problem (the wrong seeds were sent) a telephone call soon put it right. The seeds are a little more expensive than other companies, but the choice makes up for that. The web site is user friendly and the "Tips & Guides" section is excellent.
Positive johnnyolsen
Vejle, Jylland
Denmark
November 14, 2005
Bought from the company three times in 2005 - every time I received what I had ordered within 8-10 days.
Unfortunately the number of F1-varieties is very high, but you are still able to find some OP varieties.
The winners of the year were "Sun Bright" Runner Bean (nice light green foliage) and "Sungella" Tomato (early, productive, tasty, nice colour) - both OP.
Negative afy65
Cliffsend, Kent
United Kingdom (Zone 8a)
March 21, 2004
ordered corms from them on the 25/02/04 - package turned up on the 20/03/04, guess what? the package was empty, so I had to call - they are sending a replacement, but god knows when this will arrive. i would never deal with this company again no matter what they are offering!!! Don't bother with this company as there are much more reliable ones around.
Positive annie123
September 3, 2003
I have not yet planted any of the seeds which I ordered from T&M, so I cannot comment yet on the germination rates... but I have to say that my order (£24) was processed well, packaged well, 100% correct varieties, included some nice freebie seeds (lucky dip offer) and arrived in a timely fashion (less than 2 weeks from my order time). I ordered one of their web special 'grab bag' type offers in addition to my regular seed order.. just for fun and trading... and they were very generous in their selection and value of seeds.

I would definitely recommend them for seeds...

Regards,
Annie in Norway
On September 14th, 2003, annie123 added the following:

At this point.. I have had 100% germination on f1 hybrid geraniums (bright orange colour, which my mother in law loves), 100% germination of Mixed dragon coleus, and 90% germination on lithops (which could honestly have been due to my bad handling of the very tiny seeds). It's true that there aren't masses of seeds in their packets, but I don't need more than they provide anyhow, so no waste of seed.

I am very satisfied and will definitely order from T&M again.
Positive Winsock
July 5, 2003
I've dealt with Thompson & Morgan for a few years and they are okay. Shipping is quick and the seeds are clean. Be sure to let them know if you don't want them to send you substitutions, in case they are sold out of something you ordered. Can be a bit expensive but they have a tremendous selection and quite a few varieties that are rather uncommon. Beautiful catalogs, average germination.
Negative Iann
Manchester
July 5, 2003
I have ordered twice from this company and had mixed results. Each time, I ordered because they offered two or three varieties of seeds that were difficult to get all from one company. The first order did at least contain the right seeds, germination was poor to moderate. The second order also had poor germination rates and one, possibly two, of the seeds turned out not to be correct when they flowered. Beautiful catalogues, choose from them and then buy elsewhere. Beware the T&M exclusives, horribly overpriced and often available elsewhere.
On August 25th, 2003, Iann added the following:

As a result of my review I have been contacted by T&M, who offered to replace the incorrect seeds. I didn't take them up on the offer since I don't care to spend another 2 years growing the wrong plant, but felt I should mention this. At the very least, the company cares about their image, and perhaps also cares about their customers. I am leaving the negative rating since customer service cannot make up for consistently below-average seeds.
Positive Sequoyah
March 26, 2003
Discovered this site while trying to locate sources of dahlia seed. Order filled promptly and accurately. The seeds have produced beautiful, healthy plants. Recommend them highly. Note: This is a UK company, but there is a US branch.
Positive Imhotep
Meridian, MS
March 26, 2003
Has a "lucious" catalog and well printed. I have in past years used their catalog as reference material.

I would, however, caution prospective buyers to check the
plant names listed. Plants and seeds which are common in
the USA are considered rare in the UK, thus a discrepancy
exists. Also, things listed in their catalog under foreign
names, might be the same as something known by other names
here in the USA. I'd be real careful and research.

There are things listed in their catalog I have not seen
elsewhere but I have exercised extreme caution. Things like
okra are common here in the south, they list them (at least
in past years) as being "exotic" rotfl

Prices are high IMHO in most cases. I have only ordered
from them a few times over 15+ years.

Overall I am impressed and on a 1-10 scale give their
catalog a 10 and otherwise a 9--!
Positive macoyote
Nevada City, CA
February 14, 2003
I have had good luck with their seeds, and found some I could NOT find anywhere else. I keep all their old catalogs as reference.
I love that company.
Positive Twrosz
Edmonton
Canada
February 13, 2003
Always enjoy the bright catalogue and their entensive listing of seeds. Have ordered for many years and in general have been rather pleased. Yes, I agree sometimes the seed count is not very high and have had very poor results with the germination of their primroses. But, all in all have been pleased! Terry
Negative bmuller
Albuquerque, NM (Zone 7a)
July 22, 2002
High prices, skimpy seed quantities, poor germination rates
--no reason to deal with this company again when I've found many reliable companies that offer wide varieties of selections and reasonable prices.
Negative gdnr1
July 20, 2002
Upon placing an order by their website while living in the UK I was expecting some really fine things. But the ones that turned up were dry and seemed underdone, the soil was seperated from the roots. Anyway, I asked for a replacement but was dealt with by a fairly uninterested lady. Overall experience - expensive and bad quality.
Positive GardenGuy
Dixon, IL
February 14, 2002
The "Rolls Royce" of Seed Companies available to us here in the U.S. Spectacular cataologue with realistic full-color photos, great customer service and good cultural information regarding propagation, etc. Always a pleasure to order from them and a huge "thank you" to them for their wonderful introductions from year to year! A must catalogue for the serious plantsman.
Negative sheila
Wigan, Landcashire
February 3, 2002
I am not very pleased with this companies seeds over the last few years, germination is very poor, i know you can complain but by the time you realise the seeds are no good you have lost serious planting time.
Positive xplorer
Makati
Philippines
January 10, 2002
I am thoroughly satisfied with the products and service i get from them. My seeds have germinated well. And they deliver internationally with very minimal (actually, no) paperwork or exhorbitant shipping charges, unlike most American companies.
Neutral Northerner
Middlesbrough
December 2, 2001
The catalogues are gorgeous. Very tempting. But I had poor results this year. But I had poor results in general this year - wet spring to blame maybe?

I'd look for alternative sources in future and use them only for the very tempting choices.
Negative Baa
December 2, 2001
Has some very tempting seeds and a great catalogue but are very expensive compared to other sources. Unless you order very easily grown seeds the germination rate is very poor.

At least 3 packets of seed I've received from them in the past has been wrongly labelled. In one particular instance, I'd sent back a wrongly labelled packet only to receive a bonus packet which was also wrongly labelled and wasn't even a cultivar listed in their catalogue!
Negative poppysue
Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a)
November 29, 2001
I have been disappointed many times with seeds from T&M. Prices are too high, germination has been poor, and the quantity of seeds in each pack is almost laughable. I have vowed not to be seduced by their catalog again.
Positive mikepiper
Circleville, OH (Zone 8b)
November 29, 2001
I have only ordered once, seeds were good, not much to say about them haven't dealt enough with them to form an opinion.