The scoop on 'OIKOS Tree Crops'

OIKOS Tree Crops

P.O. Box 19425
Kalamazoo, Michigan 49019-0425 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive Zafak
Oakbrook, KY
May 22, 2013
I placed an order for various native edibles. The prices were fair for what I received. Every plant was labeled and packaged carefully. Im looking forward to the nuts, berries, and plums ill have in a few years.
Negative forgottenman
Pennsbury Village, PA
May 1, 2013
I placed an order for several plants, and upon receiving the package, found that one type of plant was not included. The reason for this was mentioned on the invoice -- the plant was out of stock (though this was not indicated on the website when I placed the order, or in the order confirmation email I received). Thankfully I was not charged for the unshipped items.

However, I was not given any prior notice of this out-of-stock status prior to receiving the package. No email (including spam folder) and no phone call. I thus had no chance to modify my order to include other items to make the high shipping cost worthwhile. Instead of shipping making up a quarter of the total cost of my order, it became nearly half.

When I called about this, I was given few options; unless I limited my plant selection to items that could be shipped USPS, placing a new order would incur additional shipping costs.

The people at Oikos seem nice. Their shipping rates for small orders are high but understandably so. In this scenario they are probably just a victim of their website not being sufficiently advanced to send out-of-stock notifications. But based on this experience I am hesitant to do business with them again, as it seems likely that the same thing may happen to me again.
Company representative comment on May 2, 2013:
On May 2, 2013 4:37 PM, OIKOS Tree Crops responded with:

Since you did not supply us with the details of your order and I do not know who or what your order was, I cannot comment specifically on the plants.
There are no options for sold out items. We do not backorder usually and refund right away. You should definitely not order from us again should you want a 100 percent guarantee that you will always get what you want. My farm is different in that I do not buy and sell plants and the inventory is not in a box on a shelf in a cooler.
Here is what happened this year : We ended up with a large population of ground voles this winter that seriously destroyed our sunchokes. It was not apparent until it was too late. Those people who ordered in the winter had to be cancelled. This too is part of my farming operation and I have to live with it. Like it or not our customers have to live with it too. Luckily it doesn't happen often. Calling and emailing people for possible substitutes ends up slowing orders further and often brings even more cancellations while we are waiting for a response. We do frequently offer shipments via USPS in the fall for tubers and seeds. Prices run around $6.00 for that depending on the order. A website in the works for this fall will have a seed-tuber section for just this purpose. As the owner of Oikos Tree Crops, people say I am nice, but not really.

Negative ChestnutBob
Cherry Grove, OH
April 29, 2013
Posted on April 16, 2013, updated April 29, 2013
Ordered 10 trees. None of them were even close to the minimum 6" advertised size. 5 showed signs of life, but the rest were lifeless sticks. I planted them anyway because I had worked so hard to prepare their locations and didn't want to lose another year. I sent them an email, but have not heard back from them. When you buy a seedling, you expect the thing to at least have a chance at survival. I am guessing that I got the bottom of the genetic barrel and don't expect much from these trees. It is a shame. I really enjoyed the catalog and web site.
On April 29th, 2013, ChestnutBob added the following:

Oikos did get back with me and encouraged me to give them time because it had been a long cold winter. I would love to be wrong and have to change this rating.
Company representative comment on April 16, 2013:
On Apr 16, 2013 5:03 PM, OIKOS Tree Crops responded with:

I would say you are right about the size. This year most are under the 6 inches. For this plant, it was one of the years where the sizes ran short. If you received the potted trees most of those ended up being 4- 8 inches in some cases. If you received the field grown trees then they ran from 5 inches to 18 inches on average. The plants are all grown from the same 5-6 seed trees and it has no bearing on the genetics so no it is not the bottom of the genetic barrel. They are lifeless sticks when you order trees from us. They are dormant and few if any buds will be showing, but rest assured they are alive and I did not send you dead trees. It may take longer than a single day for us to respond to emails this time of year. I hope your trees will flourish with time and maybe someday you will order from us again.

Positive gambelii
Pocatello, ID
November 22, 2012
ordered many times before always packed well. This company gets it.
Positive JohnfromAlabam
Heflin, AL
May 26, 2012
I ordered several plants from Oikos and they arrived in a timely manner and in good shape. My dog destroyed one so I ordered a replacement. I hated to place an order for just one plant so I ordered a couple more. A few days later the dog ruined another plant so I ordered a replacement and a couple of additional plants. Oikos combined the orders, a good thing, and the plants arrived again in a timely manner. All plants appear healthy and meet or exceed their stated sizes. I will be ordering from these folks again.
Positive quntmphscs
Falcon, MO
May 16, 2012
All I can say is Wow!!! I ordered from many online companies this year and their packaging was the best. Their plants were green and healthy and are still doing well. I'm giving a presentation on permaculture this weekend and this is the only company I am going out of my way to recommend. We will be ordering from them from now on.
Positive Eric_OH
Columbus, OH (Zone 6a)
March 24, 2012
It's been a few years since I ordered from them, but every tree has done well (including a white oak and paper-bark birch). The catalog continues to offer a varied selection of (mainly) native trees with good wildlife-supporting potential and there's good value if you don't mind starting with relatively young stock.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
March 24, 2012
Posted on March 24, 2012, updated March 24, 2012
Posted on March 16, 2012, updated March 24, 2012
I received my 2nd order from Oikos yesterday (my first is on hold as it includes field-grown trees) and wow! Having received similar type trees and large shrubs from other vendors, all I can say is that the order from Oikos looks the best by far. There may be no fancy packaging but the plants were secure and in great shape even though one box was partially crushed in transport. Also, the prices are considerably lower than a prior vendor I tried and the soil they use is incredible. I ordered 25 Bur Oak, 25 Red Autumnberry, 2 Chinese Honeylocust, 3 Wild Honeylocust, 3 Catalpa, and 1 set of (4) Yellow Strawberry and am impressed with the quality of the plants shipped. Although several of these were listed as 3-6" seedlings, they are all consistently on the large end (6" minimum) with full, healthy root structures. Oikos has become my top "go to" nursey for trees.
On March 24th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received my field dug trees yesterday (25 Sawtooth Oaks (6-12"), 25 Chestnutleaf Oaks (6-12"), 24 Russian Hawthorne (3-6"), 3 White Russian Mulberry (paper pots - 4 -12") and 25 each of the field grown wild leeks and wild strawberries). I could not be more pleased!!! The 6-12" oaks are actually 8-20" with the majority 12-16" tall, the Mulberry are 6-7", and the Russian Hawthorne range from 4-20" (most are 6-8" and all are very sturdy). All of the trees have well developed root systems and Oikos even sent me extras! The strawberries are quality bare root and the leek look particularly nice (6-8" tall and healthy). As I stated before, they may not have the fancy packaging but it is effective as everything arrived in great shape. The shipping costs are definitely on the lower end - about 10% for each order. I will definitely order from Oikos again and I hope that their name gets out there. Most definitely a reliable tree farm and nursery providing high quality stock at very low prices. Thank you, Oikos!! You have a customer for life.
On March 24th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

'Just wanted to add that 55 of the 58 trees/shrubs from the prior order have broken dormancy (leafing out) and the yellow strawberries have sent out new leaves - and all were planted just 8 days ago! I am sure that the 3 Wild Honeylocust will soon follow suit...
Positive jtellerelsberg
Norwich, VT (Zone 5a)
May 31, 2011
I placed my first order with Oikos this year, for two hazelnuts (one each of Ken's Select and Precocious) and some Manchurian violets. All arrived at a good time for planting in Vermont. All were in good condition and appear to have made the transition into the ground without trouble. (I planted them about one week ago, and all look healthy.)
Positive greenman115
Ringtown, PA
April 10, 2011
Placed my first ever order with this company, which included a variety of Burr Oaks, hybrid Chestnut, Heartnuts and Buartnuts, Hickories, as well as a few tubers.

All items arrived promptly and in great condition - potted well, still dormant, and sized as described. One item could not be shipped (a variety of Jerusalem Artichoke), but I was notified ahead of time that they were out and I was refunded. I would definately do business with again.
Positive ChuckP
Adrian, MI
April 7, 2011
I ordered two Morus rubra 6"-12" from them and some other things. I received the other items as ordered plus three Morus rubra, a little more than 12" tall. All the plants were with roots, in the tubes they had been growing in. They shipped on April 1, earlier than most people want but exactly what I requested. I have had similar experience ordering from them in the past, both punctual shipping and sometimes extra plants. They have an interesting mix of native and unusual plants. They provide e-mail notification when the order is received and when it is shipped. When I have had questions in the past, Ken has answered my e-mails.
Positive gsteinbe
Trenton, NJ
September 26, 2010
Posted on December 12, 2008, updated September 26, 2010
I ordered chinquapin chestnuts, beach plums, hazelnuts, clove-scented currants, and huckleberry. I was really excited over what was for me a large order (since I usually raise my own plants from seed rather than buy plants). Everything arrived in good order. The currants had a little note attached that said they were dormant but still alive (and they did show signs of life later before going fully dormant again for the winter). I really like the company's commitment to the environment and to good food production. Their website gives tons of information about the various offerings they have (although occasionally info about whether you need a second plant for cross-pollination is absent or unclear). I do agree with one of the negative posters here that they don't always answer questions. I asked a question about the chinquapin chestnuts and got an ambiguous answer; then I emailed to ask another, unrelated question about them and never got an answer. But I figure they're busy and they may not have a lot of time to answer tons of questions, especially very specific, eccentric questions like mine. I look forward excitedly to all the fruit and nuts that I'll be getting in future years.
On September 26th, 2010, gsteinbe added the following:

I still haven't gotten any fruit or nuts from the plants I bought at Oikos Tree Crops. The chinquapin chestnuts, hazelnuts, and currants are doing well enough (though growing slowly). All but two of the beach plums have died (but I may have them in soil that's too moisture-retentive for their liking). The huckleberry died; it deteriorated over a year.

Since my first order, I've ordered from Oikos again. When my order arrived this time, several of the plants had been crammed into the box with too much packing material. Nothing was seriously damaged but one Green Gumbo Malva. It looked like it would survive, but its roots and crown were compressed. Its current top growth was all wilted by the next day. I emailed Oikos, and they promptly apologized and sent a replacement, which arrived very quickly and is already in the ground. I'm very happy with the service I've received and keep my rating at "Positive." I'm still looking forward excitedly to all the fruit and nuts (and now Malva leaves) that I'll be getting in future years. I hope I don't have much longer to wait.
Positive skinnejj
Bellville, TX
April 16, 2010
Placed my order March 11. Received my order towards the beginning of April. The plants were all very well packed with plenty of cushioning to protect them from the delivery guy. Oh, and this is one of the few companies out there that *doesn't* ship bare-root. That's right, the plants come with soil - good soil - and, consequently, looked a good bit healthier and got going a lot quicker than the bare-root plants I've received from other online nurseries. Realize, though, that if you order tree stock, in most cases you are ordering *seedlings* - when they say 2"-3" they mean 2"-3"... so those little guys will probably need a 3-5 gallon pot to sit in for a few years. I ordered $77 worth of stuff and as of today, April 16, everything except my jerusalem artichokes and my Christmas wintergreen have "woken up" and put on new growth. The groundnuts are going like gangbusters. I expect the jerusalem artichokes I got will poke their heads through the dirt soon. As for the Christmas wintergreen, it looked fine when it arrived, but it's leaves have been, one by one, steadily turning brown and falling off ever since I received it. Maybe it just doesn't like the shady little flowerbed I put it in. Oh, well. Also, it would have been nice to get a confirmation email or something when my order shipped so I could have been looking for it. Bottom line, though, this was a pretty positive experience. Oikos has a lot of unique plants you can't find anywhere else and they're pretty inexpensive. If they had something I wanted, I wouldn't hesitate to order again.
Positive Loligo
Murphysboro, IL (Zone 6b)
March 17, 2010
This was my first order from Oikos: I ordered five plants and some sunchoke tubers. All were nicely sized, well packed, and in good shape. Oikos carries a fantastic selection of useful and native plants, so if these plants grow well for me, I look forward to ordering from them again!
Company representative comment on March 18, 2010:
On Mar 18, 2010 9:53 AM, OIKOS Tree Crops responded with:

Thank you, we are constantly on the lookout for different native plants to offer. Check out our web site for up-to-date selections http://www.oikostreecrops.com.

Positive killdawabbit
Christiana, TN (Zone 6b)
January 24, 2010
I have ordered from them many times over the years. Always satisfied. Great nursery for an oak nerd like me.
Positive jujubetexas
San Marcos, TX (Zone 8b)
November 5, 2009
Communication is a little lacking when it comes to order confirmation. I recommend just calling early on a weekday to confirm for that nice fuzzy warm feeling but sure enough the order was received and shipped fast. One plant was huge, two were normal and one was smallish. One was small but the price was pretty cheap to begin with so no biggie. I would order from them again for sure. Shipping was resonable too.
Company representative comment on December 23, 2009:
On Dec 23, 2009 1:11 PM, OIKOS Tree Crops responded with:

Order confirmations have been a problem we are addressing on both internet site and office. This spring (2010) we plan to update some of our old ways of doing things.

Positive icebear
Lewiston, ME (Zone 5b)
May 12, 2009
I'm so glad i found this company. I got my first order from them a few weeks ago and was impressed with what they sent me. I can't wait to order from them again!
Positive PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a)
March 23, 2009
I love Oikos! I have ordered sporadically over the years from their mail order catalogue (I'm not that familiar with their website; yet), and always enjoy perusing the pages. Ken's dry wit provides a fun read, and I LEARN from his writings, especially about the many varieties of nut trees they offer. Selection on ornamentals vary from year to year, but they always have some interesting offerings.

I can report on seedlings I purchased from them going back ten years or more. I have Hazelnut-Filbert crosses that have done VERY well in our cold, Zone 4 area in the mountains of NE Pennsylvania. They produce yearly, and are very close to the size and shape the catalogue description stated. A "Sweet Idaho Burr Oak" has become a lovely ornamental centerpiece in one part of our multi-acre lawn, and I'm looking forward to Magnolia seedlings (kobus x stellata) blooming for the first time this coming spring. I had no problems with Paw Paws ordered from them, which I hear can be challenging to plant/transplant.

I will be searching for places to fit more of their trees into the landscape in the future! They provide a great service to the nut-growing community, as well as oak-tree lovers, with all of the hybrids and varieties they list.

Hats off to 'em!
Positive Old_Farmer
Napier, WV (Zone 5b)
December 12, 2008
I placed an order on Saturday last week and it was received in good order yesterday (Tuesday) of the following week. This company called me Monday morning saying that UPS could not find the address that I provided and I advised that I had been receiving UPS shipments at that address for at least 15 years. Enough for that, UPS found me and the order was well packed and dormant so they were in perfect condition. The cherry trees were as described and have already been planted. Having a small nursery of my own, I could see that they took every effort in providing the best product possible. Its good to say something positive about someone who cares about their product and their customer. I am well pleased with what I received and their effort to make sure it was shipped promptly and to the correct address.
Positive Shapeshft
Binghamton, NY (Zone 5b)
October 25, 2008
I ordered 3 Diospyros virginiana, 1 Aesculus pavia, and 1 Amelanchier alnifolia 'Regent.' They all arrived well packed, as described, and in good shape for fall planting. The company had a special going on and so I received fruits of some Diospyros along with the plants, free. Yum!
Negative MzBubbly8621
Las Vegas, NV
October 24, 2008
I called Oikos earlier today during their business hours. Nobody picked up so I left a message asking questions regarding care of Dwarf Korean Chestnut trees or paw paw trees for Las Vegas, Nv (I forget which because at the last minute I placed another order since you have to spend at least $25 in products in order to ship). So, I waited an hour or two before deciding just to purchase since I did a research on the company and almost everyone seems happy. Not very smart of me to have waited for their response before placing an order, but I really was excited to get these plants/trees. I called many times after that (still business hours) and still no one answered. Left an e-mail message to their company just to add another paw paw tree since I found out in order for the tree to fruit you have to have atleast two trees. Waited some more and still no response... Communication definitely sucks with the company. Not sure about their products, but I decided to cancel them since they do not have good communication with their customers it seems... at least with me. Hope they got my cancelation notice.
Company representative comment on December 27, 2009:
On Dec 27, 2009 1:31 PM, OIKOS Tree Crops responded with:

It may take longer than 24 hours to respond to emails. During the busy season it may take longer than one day to return calls. We are trying to improve the ability for customers to get a hold of us in the spring via phone. I know it is not easy at times. Order confirmations are done immediately and a paper confirmation is sent in the mail. We do this especially if its going to be a few weeks or months before you get your order. If you are new to us, we will send a paper catalog too. Your credit card is run just prior to shipping. You have to buy 25 dollars worth of plants. This is our minimum order.

Positive outdoorsman
Elwell, MI
September 26, 2008
The company missed filling my order in spring 07, I contacted them wondrering why I never received it and it was then too late to ship. They apologized for their screwup and said they wouild have to ship in fall 07. I said cancel it and i would make a trip their in the fall to pick up some larger trees and maybe different varieties that Ken recommended. ken said he would keep my order for reference. In september 07 my spring order I had cancelled was shipped. I notified them I had cancelled and wasn't planning on coming down until late fall. I agreed to give the plants they shipped a try but expressed my concerns since it was above 80 degrees and the plants were very green. the company told me they would just drop the leaves and grow new leaves. I again called in Spring of 08 and told them there were no signs of buds or leaves. They said wait until Fall and see what happens. I was hesitant but decided I would give them every opportunity. none of my order ever survived but one from a Tennessee company did that was planted at a different time but in the same area. I called this fall and they said they couldn't help me because I waited so long. I explained they screwed up twice and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The lady said to email them so I did and that was a week ago. I have heard nothing. This has got to be the worst customer service I have ever experineced. I hate to give any one bad feedback but these people simply act like they don't care!
On September 30th, 2008, outdoorsman changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Oikos has now contacted me and listened to my comments. They have offered to replace my order or refund which sounds very fair. I was hoping they would see I'm not trying to be difficult but simply wanted every opportunity like I had given them to have things succeed. I simply want my trees replaced and if they are, I would be glad to change my rating to a positive and gain back my initial respect for the company.
On October 30th, 2008, outdoorsman changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

The company did eventually contact me. I'm sure they are very busy in the field in the fall. They did replace my order and the trees did look dorrmant this time. I am satisfied thye kept their end of the bargain and did what they could to satisfy me. Thanks
Positive mattinnh
Somersworth, NH
July 28, 2008
Everything arrived in great condition and is doing well. I am planning on ordering more stock from this company.
Positive fwfarm
Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b)
July 27, 2008
Ordered in 2006, the trees arrived in great shape and are
thriving; wondeful and unique varieties. Very happy.
Positive lezurk
Toledo, IL
June 20, 2008
Oikos is one of my favorite companies to deal with. They offer a product line that is unlike anything else on the internet. I have dealt with them for the last two years, most recently ordering three large persimmon trees, and everything has arrived in good shape and has grown superbly. Their customer support is top notch and you are never left wondering about the status of your order. I hate looking at their catalog because I always want to order something.
Positive autremike
Ludlow, MA (Zone 5b)
April 29, 2008
Thanks Ken for your quick same day responses regarding my order - I thought that he forgot to ship my persimmons, but I found them packed perfectly along with my chestnuts. Well packed and excellent quality with quick customer service. One of my favorite companies.
Positive paolopietro
West Chester, OH
April 14, 2008
First time shopper with your company ,, You have being very curtsies and the tree are magnificent. Hope the will be ok. I have planted and I am impress by the size, thank you. Peter Tomaino
Positive mingoman
Blytheville, AR
February 27, 2008
I ordered 10 field grown Timburr Chestnuts. Ken shipped me the more expensive container grown, since the ground had allready frozen, at the lower field grown price! Thanks Ken!
Positive jqpublic
Cary, NC (Zone 7b)
January 31, 2008
I love this place. My first order was great. I asked for some shagbark hickories and some pecans. I ordered 2 of each and b/c some were a little runty they gave me extras. I got 3 shagbarks instead of 2 and 4 pecans...and just to be nice they gave me a free lecont hican too. Great people...and you can tell they are ready to encourage anyone's green thumb. They were also very quick in their delivery. A+!

By the way I planted the trees in October 2007 so this spring will be my first idea of how they fair, but I can tell they are still alive by scratching the bark :)
Positive Kertesz
New Prague, MN
January 15, 2008
This has always been a good company to deal with, one of the best as far as customer service. They carry unusual varieties of many native plants that you won't find elsewhere. Also one of the funniest catalogs around, with comments like "this plant is so tasty, I caught my 80 year old neighbor climbing the fence to get them". Also great prices, if you are willing to start with small specimens.

The one time I had a problem (dead tree) they promptly replaced it, no problem. I felt almost guilty for bringing it up in this forum as they are so determined to make sure their product will be satisfactory for their customers.
Positive medora66
Three Oaks, MI
October 24, 2007
I order from Ken and Oikos regularly and am routinely thrilled with what I get. Their stock is healthy and vigorous and the selection is really interesting -- you'll get alot of information just from reading the catalogue. Plus, the prices are good, and Ken is EXTREMELY patient with my questions (I'm learning alot from him). The one time I had a problem with something -- two shrubs -- they were replaced, and they even threw in an extra one to make up for the trouble. Great, great company.
Positive jimwil22
rhinelander, WI (Zone 4a)
March 19, 2007
this company has been pleasant to deal with for the
last 9 years, they offer some deals and the selection
is one of the best around, even people who have
planted trees for years like oikos, giving an opportunity
to add diversity to nature. there planting aids are helpful.
Positive Loohan
Leslie, AR (Zone 7a)
January 12, 2007
I have ordered from them numerous times since 1998. Oftentimes their prices are outrageously good. More often than not, they throw in more than I paid for.
Plants have always been healthy and viable.
Positive rcaretti
Woodsboro, MD
May 25, 2006
I have dealt with OIKOS on several occasions and they are an absolute joy to deal with. The blueberry plants I just recently ordered were in absolutely wonderful shape (nice plants, well packed, moist, with a very nice size).

I have ordered several types of trees from them in the past and they were in nice shape and nicely packed as well.
Positive meadowgarden
Rockford, IL (Zone 4b)
May 23, 2006
All I can saw is WOW. I ordered on Sat. and had my trees by Tuesday. All were healthy, as advertised and well packed. The pricing is quite reasonable too.
Positive adadia
Glenmoore, PA (Zone 6b)
March 29, 2006
I recently placed a rather large order with this company, and i couldn't be happier. My order was packed for shipping so well that not a single broken branch or speck of spilled soil was evident, and the plants themselves are fantastic; i was particularly impressed by how healthy and extensive the root systems are, and every plant has begun to leaf out in only 5 days! In fact, my nanking cherries, korean cherries, and "partridge lake" blueberry are blooming and covered with fat leaf buds, and the trachy palms i received are already pushing out new growth. The tubers i ordered (purple potato and jerusalem artichoke) are fresh and firm and i have no doubt that they will grow beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to order again, especially if i can meet the $200 minimum for free shipping. After some bad experiences with other companies it's so nice to find a company that meets my expectations. Thank you Oikos!
On May 6th, 2006, adadia added the following:

It just came to my attention that the free shipping I referred to was a limited time only deal, which has unfortunately ended. However, their plants are really fantastic...every single plant from Oikos I planted this year is absolutely thriving, I would happily order more with or without free shipping!
On May 24th, 2006, adadia added the following:

I just got my second order (in about a week) and I'm even happier than before...plants I bought that were advertised as being !' - 2' were a full 4'+! such a great company to deal with!
Positive Equilibrium
March 28, 2006
Simply a wonderful nursery to deal with. Their plants are healthy and vigorous.

Have a question... just call and ask them and they'll take the time to answer your questions. They return phone calls too!

I've ordered from them several times and each time it has been a pleasure. My plants reach me undamaged because they pack well. This nursery has great prices which is an added plus.
Positive rhodesja
Manchester, CT
April 27, 2005
we ordered several different tree species. very good selection and reasonable price for small tree seedlings. packaging was very good . we were very pleased with oikos. we will order again in fall.
On June 22nd, 2006, rhodesja added the following:

ordered again from oikos and was pleased with plants packaging and service.
On August 20th, 2006, rhodesja added the following:

had 2 plants not survive due to missing ups delivery attempt and having to wait 3 days to pick up package. oikos replaced no problem and shipped as weather permitted. thank you oikos. :)
Positive Flowerchild59
Carbondale, IL
March 11, 2005
I have ordered from this wonderful company 3 times in 6 years. They have outstanding selection of unusual items and are reasonably priced, albeit, on the small side. But everything I have purchased has thrived and grown well.
I highly recommend this nursery.
Nursery stock are almost always in rooted pots/tubes that don't have to go through transplant shock.
Items are packed safely and with care.

Positive ir0nman81
Bartlesville, OK
January 1, 2005
I have ordered a variety of trees from Oikos numerous times since the early 1990's. Ken's selection of hybrid oak trees is outstanding. Don't let his northern locale fool you -- I have successfully grown his oaks in northeastern Oklahoma for years now. In particular, my no. 1 recommendation is the Bur x English oak cross, - my original specimen (circa 1993) has survived drought, blizzard, hail, heat, humidity, prairie wind, and everything in between. It dependably crops acorns every year. I've also had excellent luck with his Chinkapin and Chestnut oaks. This year I am trialing Scarlet and Turkey oaks. My approach is to take his container trees and bareroot trees and raise them in containers the first year before transplanting into the landscape. I seem to have a better success ratio this way. Many of these trees also make it into the forest on my grandfather's farm. Regardless, I truly enjoy doing business with this man and his company.