The scoop on 'Solas Gardens'

Solas Gardens

Houston, Texas 77284
(United States)

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Editor's Comment:
Closed July 14, 2009

As per a note from the owner, this business is closed.

Comments:

Positive billjackson
San Pablo, CA
June 24, 2009
My Solas Gardens experience was excellent.

I found Solas last fall through a web search for Schoenocaulon—a hard-to-find Texas native bulb. It was not listed in their current catalog, however I contacted them and they said that they did have a couple of extra plants available for sale, just too few too list on their website. Their catalog has a nice range of bulbs, and as a result, I ended up with a nice selection of other things as well.

All of the bulbs I received were clean, very well-packed, husky and healthy. Thanks to the detailed cultural information provided by Debbie, the proprietor, all of the bulbs thrived, and bloomed this spring.

I couldn't have been more pleased with the plants and service I received.

Negative lovelyiris
Winnsboro, TX
May 29, 2009
Unreasonable, non communcative to say the very least.
Attmpted to purchase Irises from her and by mistake sent her a check . She sent me a message that she had not received payment. I told her I sent a check and I would wait a couple of days and resend. I thought we both were attempting to work it out. Within one day she posted neg. feedback on my page. A couple of days later I checked with the bank, the check had not cleared and I got them to issue me a money order for the amount she had first requested. This was over a long holiday weekend keep in mind. She had the money order in her hand in 13 days from the first time the order was placed. Having never ordered from these people I wanted to protect myself from being taken advantage of and make sure the check didn't clear. I think this is just good business practice.

I attempted to make this sale and buy right for both of us by resending her a money order to replace the check that "she" said she never received. She is now returning my money order and the order is indeed now closed. You can't be a good customer when the seller misleads you to belive your both working on the problem. Unreasonable and very unprofessional!

Marian
Company representative comment on May 29, 2009:
On May 29, 2009 3:07 PM, Solas Gardens responded with:

This was not a Solas Gardens Sale--this was a marketPlace sale. I canceled her order for nonpayment (all ads clearly state 7 days for money order purchases). This buyer contacted me thru dmail for an item no longer even listed on MarketPlace (I did not approach her)--she attempted to set up a "back dmail sale" and circumvent the MarketPlace system all together--which sent up red flags immediately that this was probably a NPB.

No check or money order was received from this person; and I cancelled the order due to pending sales on website. 12 days later she sends a money order, several days after I canceled the order (her feedback was changed to positive long before she posted this) and I have promptly returned that money order at my own expense with delivery confirmation.

Since most of the feedback from the customers here and on my membership page clearly contradict this person--I thinks its quite obvious that this person has "mental issues" and has decided that the theme of her week is to make me miserable.

Repeat--this buyer has never purchased any bulbs or seeds from Solas Gardens and why Dave's Garden allows this sort of thing is beyond my ability to understand.

Positive congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
February 3, 2009
Just got some great looking Lousiana iris rhizomes. They were well packed, communication was excellent, and they arrived quickly after I ordered them thru the DG marketplace. Happy customer here!
Positive lowellsf
Arlington, TX (Zone 8a)
November 5, 2008
I have ordered several different types of bulbs from Solas Gardens over the past several months. Communication was easy and prompt, as was shipping. Got very thorough planting instructions with bulbs, since I purchased several I had not grown before. Debbie is very helpful answering questions, and I would highly recommend her to anyone.

Sarah Lowell
Arlington, TX
Positive Kendalia
Kendalia, TX
October 30, 2008
Solas Gardens was lightning fast, and sent me extra bulbs! The bulbs are of good quality. Thanks!
Positive dreamscapers
Westford, MA
October 29, 2008
This order was perfection; I have many terminally ill garden clients, and am often pleading with companies to assure me plants are of bloomnig age, etc..The bulbs I ordered were extraordinary, just about pulsing with life, roots perfect, and ridiculously large, putting to shame all other bulbs I considered. The company's contact Deborah is extremely nice, with great commication on the order the whole way through. Couldn't ask for more. Thanks!
Positive thistledownfarm
North Lakewood, WA (Zone 8b)
October 19, 2008
Exceptional service. Well packed plants and they looked fabulous too!
I'll be back.
Positive ndyf
Matthews, NC
September 11, 2008
Extremely professional and super friendly! Will purchase from Debbie again!
On May 30th, 2009, ndyf added the following:

(May 2009) I did purchase again from Debbie, two more times during the past month. I couldn't be more pleased. In fact, one of the crinum bulbs I bought was blooming within one week of delivery! I can't wait to see what she will offer this Fall! Truly, the best!
On June 26th, 2009, ndyf added the following:

(June 2009) Yet another flawless order filled by Debbie. Major bulb houses could learn a thing or two from her. Her genuine kindness and intelligence does it for me every time! Thank you
Positive sharonruth
Richmond, CA
September 7, 2008
I ordered freesia leichtlinii bulbs from Solas and they arrived in three days! They seemed a little small, but they look perfectly healthy, and Solas added a few extra as well. I look forward to seeing (and smelling) the freesias when they pop up next spring.
Company representative comment on September 8, 2008:

On Sep 7, 2008 9:23 PM, Solas Gardens added:

Thank you Sharon!
Just wanted to let you know that those are full sized, blooming bulbs of Freesia leichtlinii. Species of Freesia bulbs are smaller than those of hybrids. They will provide you a fragrant show next spring!
Debbie

Positive sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC
August 29, 2008
Excellent service and I would definitely order from Solas Gardens again.
Positive Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a)
August 17, 2008
Super-fast shipping, good quality bulbs, good communication. Would buy from again.
Positive Fana
(Zone 6b)
August 4, 2008
Excellent service and communication, will use Solas Gardens again.
Positive goofybulb
El Paso, TX (Zone 8a)
July 10, 2008
A positive experience in all aspects!
If you are a bulb enthusiast, it is a pleasure just to browse through the catalog. One finds here a variety of bulbs that it's different than anywhere else, with rare-to-find and natives, and with "I wanted this for so long", and seeds of bulbous plants, something you don't find everyday, at very nice prices! Once you decide to order, there is fast shipping of carefully packed high quality items - with instructions for sowing and/or planting. Great communication with the seller as well!
For starters, I bought some seeds I've been looking for some time. I'm already planning my second "trip" and purchase from Solas Gardens!
Bulb addicts everywhere, this is a MUST GO site!
On August 11th, 2008, goofybulb added the following:

Well, I've had my second trip and it was as good as the first one! Just beautiful, extremely fast, a more than pleasant surprise! I will be back!
Positive klaasje
Auckland
New Zealand
July 8, 2008
I ordered seeds from New Zealand, and although this company was not familiar with sending to NZ (a difficult country for seeds!) Debbie, did a wonderful job. Clear instructions from her end on using PayPal, and also for the seeds when they arrived today. Very helpful, great company! :o)
Positive stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a)
June 3, 2008
Great products, great service, and great communication. The bulbs I received were very well packed and very healthy looking. I can't wait to see my bulbs bloom! Thank you for the excellent service!
Positive MitchF
Lindsay, OK (Zone 7a)
May 29, 2008
Great plants, great gardener, great shipping, great comunication, great everything. This is a 5 star place to work with!

Positive maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX (Zone 8a)
May 17, 2008
We recently bought seeds from Solas Gardens and I am very impressed with the fast shipping, good packaging and excellent germination instructions. I am looking forward to making more purchases :~)
Positive Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ (Zone 9a)
March 31, 2008
This rating is long past due since I have ordered from Debbie several times. Her bulbs are the best int he industry. I love that she carries
unusual bulbs and not the norm. Her customer service is superior!!
e-mails are answered in a timely manor, packaging is great!!
On July 11th, 2008, marieortiz added the following:

Just want to say how much I appreciate the quick e-mail response and fast shipping!!
Positive Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC (Zone 7b)
February 1, 2008
Highly recommended. Solas carries seeds and bulbs not easily found elsewhere, and the seeds are priced exceptionally well. Seeds and bulbs were well packaged and labeled. Excellent instructions/descriptions were included for all items. Bulbs were very large and healthy. Will gladly do business again with Solas and recommend to anyone, Thanks!
Positive bgrdn1
Sarasota, FL
December 16, 2007
I bought several varieties of Habranthus and Zephyranthes seeds from Solas Gardens that are hard to find elsewhere. They were well labeled and packaged. Highly recommend.
Positive Riverland
Northeast, LA (Zone 8a)
January 25, 2007
I have purchased rare seeds from Solas twice. I am very pleased with the professionalism of the company. Product is well packaged with concise instructions. I plan to purchase plants and bulbs in the spring.
On February 2nd, 2007, Riverland added the following:

Purchased again form Solas could not be more pleased with transaction
Positive plantnutga
Thomasville, GA (Zone 8b)
November 29, 2006
Bulbs exactly as described. Packed well, exellent plant and planting info on labels. Thank you! -Erin