The scoop on 'Georgia Vines'

Georgia Vines

2309 Woodland Way
Brunswick, Georgia 31520 (United States)

Company Comment, posted on January 23, 2007:
I am just a small backyard gardener who loves plants. Vines offer more options for growing in small spaces, so I started collecting. My specialties are Passiflora and Aristolochia, but I have many rare tropical vines and plants. After listing on E-Bay for 5 years, and 4000 sales later, I still have a rating of 99.8 which I am very proud of and have worked hard to maintain. I am especially concerned with service, and keeping in touch with my customers wishes. I will always do everything that I possibly can to make my customers as happy with their plants as I am with mine.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral ginger1952
Lake Charles, LA (Zone 9a)
June 11, 2014
Posted on May 30, 2014, updated June 11, 2014
I ordered 48 Flying Dragon seeds from Georgia Vines. I soaked the seeds first and then planted them in vermiculite on 5/3/14. As of today, 5/30/4, only 2 seeds germinated. The seedlings that came up were not Flying Dragon....it looked like a pepper plant. I even checked with our horticulturalist at the extension service and he agreed the seedling that came up was probably a pepper plant...not a Flying Dragon plant. I e-mailed Lori requesting either a refund or the correct seed. I have not heard from her yet.
On June 11th, 2014, ginger1952 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Georgia Vines notified me about the negative comment on Dave's and stated she would send me 2 Flying Dragon plants. I received these plants (6/11/14) today. Since I initially purchased 40 seeds for $26.00 and none germinated my cost ended up being $13.00 per plant. That is not exactly the cost ratio I was looking for when I purchased the Flying Dragon seeds from Georgia Vines. I do appreciate the two live plants.
Positive twotallgirls
Pensacola, FL
October 25, 2013
Ordered up banana and passion vine seeds. Ordered them on the 15th, they shipped on the 17th, and arrived on the 19th, started soaking on the 20th. Liked the free shipping. Didn't check out Passionvinecottage.com until after I ordered... the same seeds were 30% or so off but I think you pay for shipping (I couldn't tell). Same company? All seeds looked good (only one floater in 40 seeds). Will buy again come spring.
Negative whoever
Frankfurt
Germany
August 29, 2013
I ordered impatiens cyathiflora seeds from them. Seeds looked unripe (partially whitish, light brown) to me. No germination info, therefore I treated them like other wild impatiens seeds (stratification for 8 weeks at 5°C), but no sign of germination. Waste of money.
Negative Babzee
LEABURG, OR (Zone 8b)
July 2, 2013
I ordered 4 different Impatiens glandulifera varieties from them. Depending on variety they had between 5-8 seeds and were over $5.00 per packet. Upon arrival I noticed that about 50% of the seeds were undeveloped (they looked like dust) and there was no way they would germinate but I really wanted the plants so I said what the heck even one would be great! What a waste of time and money! I'm a plant pathologist and used to work for seed company so I have some experience in germinating seeds thanks to my friends in seed germ lab. It is over 3 months later and nothing is happening. Just to let you know I received another variety of Impatient glandulifera from different source about week later and they are already transplanted into my garden doing very well.
As I mentioned before, I only ordered Impatients from this company so I hope you guys have better luck with other seeds. As far as Im concerned $20.25 later Im not going to be buying anything from them ever again
Positive scott3777
Crooked Lake Park, FL
April 14, 2013
Boy that Travis Rubel is a nice guy. I recently ordered 2 packs of White Sky Vine seeds. They never came. I checked the with the post office. They told me that they had delivered them. They weren't delivered to my house if they were delivered. After a bit of searching, I found a phone number for GA Vines that I could get through to. Travis answered and assured me that it was no problem and that the product would be replaced. Since they were out of seeds he sent me a VERY HEALTHY plant and sent priority even though my first order was not. That's good customer service. I look forward to doing business with these guys in the future.

Positive vitrsna
Colima
Mexico (Zone 11)
March 25, 2013
I just received an order from Georgia Vines. I think this is my 4th or 5th order total so I have a little bit of history with this company. I've never had a problem and have been pleased with their product, packaging, communication, and response time. The entire process is always so easy and without problem that I look forward to continue doing business with this company.
Negative Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC (Zone 8a)
March 20, 2013
Posted on March 8, 2013, updated March 20, 2013
Last year I ordered seeds from this company:

Chilean Jasmine
MG - Sepacuitensis
MGJ - Red Picotee

I sent off my money order and received an email a few weeks later saying they never got my payment. I did a trace on the MO and found that they had gotten it and cashed it. I sent them a copy of the trace report. They said sorry, guess we overlooked it.

The only seeds that came out right was the Chilean Jasmine and I only got 1 plant out of 5 seeds planted. The Red Picotee clearly was NOT Red Picotee and the Sepacuitensis always rotted before it could get out of the seed coat and it's doing the same thing this year no matter what I try. I was told that they would contact their supplier of the Red Picotee and let them know.

I emailed them back letting them know that I was an experienced seed starter and that the failures were were not due to me but the quality of the seeds. In return they sent me two more packets of Red Picotee. By then it was too late in the season to start them.

This year I planted 6 of the Red Picotee and so far only one has come up and it's not a very healthy seedling. Four other seeds apparently composted themselves and one other got a root out of the seed coat and promptly shriveled up and died.

I want to add that I've also started 30 other MG seeds this year and they are all happily growing in my greenhouse as I write this.

The quality of their seeds is very poor in my opinion.

On March 20th, 2013, Xeramtheum added the following:

3/20/13.

Just wanted to add that as of today, on my 3rd attempt to get a viable seedling of the Red Picotee MG, not even 1 out of 10 MG seeds I've planted have come up. They all rotted.
Negative Tropicman
Bushland, TX (Zone 6a)
January 9, 2013
Received E-mail from Georgia Vines,saying a flat $5 off my order,ordered seeds couldn't get there coupon to work at the time I ordered my seeds,so I sent them a e-mail ,to let them know there coupon wasn't working on there web site,they answered me they would give me a $5 certificate,then they wrote back saying they would just give me a refund,either way I was happy,with that and told them I wanted to order more seeds,so I needed either the certificate or refund,so I could make my order,and told them what my order would be,on there web site,they say they will do anything possible to make there customers happy,well,been several days and haven't heard a word from them,my seed order arrived and they billed my credit card account,but no word on my certificate or refund.They no longer will answer my e-mails,so buyer beware!
Positive pinusresinosa
North Branch, MN
December 12, 2012
I went to Georgia Vines originally because I was searching for Vigna caracalla seeds online, and I found this shop. I found myself like a crazy gardener in a seed store paradise (kid in a candy store?). Service was great and I've ordered from Georgia Vines a few times since.

Neutral g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia
November 30, 2012
Ive got liliums after 2 years from seed.,but they certainly arent what I thought I was purchasing...Anyway, I am going to post each picture of each incorrect seedling on 'All Things Plants''..and may I suggest you buy from a genuine breeder, not a fanticiser
Negative SmallGardener
Newtonville, MA (Zone 6b)
July 18, 2012
I've ordered twice from Georgia Vines, and each time, the plants were delivered in tiny pots, barely 2" in size. The first set of vines I ordered (last summer) hardly grew at all. The vine that arrived today has no sign of new growth and holes in the leaves. I would be surprised if this most recent shipment survives, and would be shocked if it thrives.
Positive CeliaHiggs
Colorado Springs, CO
June 11, 2012
I made a very small order, and my seeds arrived quickly. I like the variety present at Georgia Vines- and I love the fact that they have a way to isolate plants for different zones. I'm pretty certain I'll be ordering from GV in the future. :)
Positive cj927
Greensboro, NC
May 3, 2012
Posted on April 23, 2012, updated May 3, 2012
I found Georgia Vines after searching for thurnbergia. I was happy to find someone who had the seeds, had them at a good price, and shipped quickly. I got the package in good time.

However, only 4 out of 10 seeds germinated. Since I specifically needed 8 plants for the intended use, I emailed the company to find out about getting some more. The response I got was, "You are not happy with getting 4 plants for a few bucks? I'll refund." When I explained that I'd rather have more seeds, the answer was "I have refunded already."

The emails are signed by Travis, even though the email address is Lori Rubel. I'm surprised by the rude tone of a customer service email. They had the opportunity to fix my problem with more seeds, and create a delighted customer. Instead, they ignored what I asked for and treated me rudely.

I won't order again, although I feel sorry for the owner; reading this forum shows that this is her son, rather than her, responding to customers inappropriately.
On May 3rd, 2012, cj927 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I do have to change my rating to positive, after a bit of a wild ride. I eventually got an apology from the son, Travis, who also sent me additional seeds--several varieties of the same type of plant I had originally ordered.

Lori saw my posting on Dave's Garden, and additionally replied. She went above and beyond, and sent me 6 lives plants at her own expense. I got a sweet note, and was surprised by the nice ending to the whole experience.
Positive morningloree
Heathrow, FL
April 26, 2012
I ordered an Elephant creeper vine, Orange Clock vine, and an Orchid vine. My order arrived in a timely manner and plants were well packaged. I was most impressed with the size, the vines were described as starter plants, but were larger than I expected. The condition of the vines was excellent, soil intact and still moist, with no broken branches. They weren't even wilted from the journey. I was able to find vines that were largely unavailable through most places. Great job, Georgia Vines!
Positive desertmikey
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico (Zone 11)
February 20, 2012
Posted on February 20, 2012, updated February 21, 2012
I ordered 10 seeds of brugmansia "Kyle's Giant White" from this company. I was very pleased when seven of the ten seeds germinated, since brugs tend to be difficult from seed. However, after having grown the plants on, it has now become evident that the resulting plants are NOT brugmansias as advertised but are instead daturas. In fact, the plants that this company's seeds have produced are Datura inoxia. Needless to say, I was very disappointed with this purchase. I wrote a comment to Georgia Vines on their website, informing them of my experience with their "brugmansia" seeds, but have received no comment from them to date.
On February 20th, 2012, desertmikey changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I would like to change my formerly "Negative" rating to "Positive". Travis of Georgia Vines responded and apologized for sending the datura seeds mis-identified as brugmansia seeds. The seeds had been purchased by Georgia Vines from another company and none had yet been germinated by Georgia Vines at the time they were sold to me. Georgia Vines has agreed to replace the mis-identified seeds with new seeds of my choosing. I appreciate Travis' quick action on this and his courtesy.
Positive Octavivs
Mashpee, MA
October 8, 2011
I just purchased an item and received it very quickly and in good condition. I am happy with my purchase.
Positive bettabaker
August 5, 2011
Posted on June 23, 2011, updated August 5, 2011
Posted on June 22, 2011, updated June 23, 2011
Posted on June 19, 2011, updated June 22, 2011
I ordered a Thunbergia grandiflora alba from Georgia Vines, and it arrived in good condition and well packaged. It came with helpful instructions to avoid sunlight and to not repot for at least a week so that it could recover from traveling. I put it in my kitchen window, which receives no direct sunlight and where I could keep a close eye on it. Over the next week, it slowly shriveled up. I gave it a little water during that week, just to keep the soil moist but not too wet. After a week, I repotted it since it was doing so poorly that I felt I had to make some change, and it continued to turn completely brown and dry up. I sent them an email describing this series of events and asking what I should have done differently. I received a reply that began "Well I think you read the directions wrong." The rest of the email detailed that I should have kept the plant completely away from any light for a week. It seems that the death of the plant was my own fault, which is unfortunate because it's a very difficult plant to find. I think I will keep looking for a grower that can sell me an actual plant rather than a cutting. If anyone has any suggestions where I can find one, I would appreciate the advice!
On June 22nd, 2011, redlandsgarden changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I am now changing my rating of Georgia Vines to negative, as I found the receipt for my plant when I was paying my credit card bill. The instructions state to "keep me in a non direct sunshine spot near some shade." So I did not read the directions wrong, as I was told by Travis at Georgia Vines! I did exactly what they stated I should do. Who knows why the plant died, the mailing might have been too much for it, but I don't appreciate the finger pointing when I followed the instructions perfectly.
On June 23rd, 2011, redlandsgarden changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Travis called me up and offered to send me a new plant. He said he misunderstood my email, and thought that I had put the plant into direct light. I thought that was very nice of them to take the initiative like that when they discovered that I was dissatisfied. Even if this new plant doesn't make it, I think they're terrific for making the extra effort for their customers.
On August 5th, 2011, redlandsgarden added the following:

Just wanted to add some more followup. Travis sent me a very healthy looking new plant right away, and gave me some adjusted instructions for caring for it. It did much better, stayed alive and looked healthy for a few weeks. It has shown no new growth and is now starting to slowly dry up starting at the vine tips. They sent me a healthy plant and their new instructions were good... if I lose this plant, I know that it was due to the environment here... and I'll finally give up on this vine and get a white mandevilla instead!
Positive phat_gardener86
Madison Heights, VA
April 13, 2011
I placed an order with georgia vines and I'm very pleased with the price and the promptness of shipping. I was able to find a particular morning glory that I had just discovered and had been wanting. It is the morning glory Jamie Lynn and my name is Jamie Lynn!! I was very excited to find it on their site at a reasonable price! I will most definately order from them again!
Negative oak_tree_01
upstate NY, NY (Zone 5a)
March 21, 2011
I would be very hesitant to seeds from this company. I had sent a few emails to Georgia Vines to ask questions about their passiflora seeds. They carry so many varieties of passiflora and sell seeds as well as plants, so I wanted to be sure that they were not allowing their passifloras to hybridize. I asked if the seeds were ones that they saved themselves, and what steps they’d taken to isolate the varieties. I’d hate to buy seeds, go to the trouble of getting them to germinate (passifloras are notoriously difficult to get to germinate unless they are extremely fresh), grow them for years and then discover when they bloom that they are not the variety I wanted but some sort of hybrid. I had to email and then email again several times before I got answers to my questions that were remotely clear. Initially I got the response of:
“Maybe you should buy them from somebody else. They are our own and we don't care if they hybridize themselves. I guess that is bad business in your eyes. We just like to garden. Sorry we are not going to do business with you. -Travis”
Then I got a message from him saying:
“That last email was suppose to be for someone else. ...We have a greenhouse full of Passifloras and if they cross polinate then we won't know until May or so what we have. Some of the seeds we buy from dealers and some we have from our own plants. -Travis”

“... Most of the plants we have were bought in plant form not by seed.  We do not physically transfer pollen. They are all planted on the outside edges of the greenhouse. Many of them bloom at different times. We take pictures of them every year and none have seemed to change in color or leaf. If they have been hybridized we wouldn't be able to tell so far. Maybe we will have seeds this year that will produce some? There is no isolation as you can see because we are limited in space and protection. We are planning to build more greenhouses in the future. I hope you forgive me for being rude. I can give you some crappy excuse but there is not one that would matter and I do apologize for being short. I will be willing to discount you on a purchase for my stupidity.
Sincerely
Travis"

Perfectly likable people, and since their plants are produced from cuttings, they’re probably fine, but I would be skeptical about their seeds. It just doesn’t sound to me like they are taking care to insure that their seeds will produce true to type. If they’re selling hybridized seed, they ought to tell people about it openly.
Company representative comment on March 22, 2011:
On Mar 22, 2011 6:01 AM, Georgia Vines responded with:

Oh No, I'm so sorry about my son's response in these emails. There certainly is no excuse for this and I apologize for his unexcusable behavior. I had no idea about these emails. I recently asked him to help me with the business and now see he has been not doing things the way they should be done. I appreciate you letting me know about this and will certainly make changes. Again, please accept my apology.
Lori

Positive Passionflowerz
Punta Gorda, FL (Zone 9b)
July 27, 2010
I ordered some passionflower seed from georgiavines back in February. I waited a week, and the seeds had not arrived. Panicking, I wrote them. Within a few hours, they responded, and re-sent my order, no questions asked. I believe it was the USPS that created my problem, but they did not question me, and were polite and quick to respond. I promised I'd post a review when my seed sprouted. Passionflower sometimes takes up to a year to do so, but mine are peeking up and taking off! Thanks again to the folks at GEORGIAVINES.COM for being so kind and helpful :)
Positive rah127
Dalton, GA (Zone 7b)
May 27, 2009
very healthy plants, wonderful selection and excellent customer service--I will be a repeat customer every year--bought 12 different vines this year and 6 last year--can't wait to see what the ones look like this year
Positive Ravnstar
Villas, NJ
April 16, 2009
Wonderfully packaged and shipped, plants arrived in great shape! Thank you so much!
Positive bananalover
Myrtle Beach, SC (Zone 8a)
April 3, 2009
I recently purchased Ensete Ventricosums and Musa Itinerans very hard to find banana specimens. I am very pleased to receive my banana plants w/in 3 days in perfect condition and larger then I expected, great price w/ shipping included you couldnt ask for anymore. This business takes pride in their shipping methods along w/ their plant care. I have a huge collection of banana plants and these that I just recieved are by far the best!!! I will most definitly purchase for here again and again, you just earned a trusted customer and plant friend forever!!! I am pleased to say thank you very much. MIKE HAMRIC MYRTLE BEACH S.C.
Positive floretta
Azle, TX (Zone 9a)
April 2, 2009
I ordered a passionflower from Georgia Vines.
The post office had mishandeled the package and the formerly beautiful long and well rooted vine was broken at the
ground level. Ms. Rubel was kind enough to replace the vine with another healthy one of the same species without complaint.
Positive BlueDesert
Palm Springs, CA
March 24, 2009
I found GEORGIA VINES on eBay when I was looking for unusual vines. I placed an order online and got the plants very quickly. 3 of the vines were about 12" long and I was very impressed with them. One vine (antigonon) was barely a 2" piece of thread with one leaf on it. It had barely any roots and should NEVER have been sent. 2 ruellias I bought were also tiny,short stem and one leaf-barely rooted cuttings.
The plants are rooted and shipped in CHEAP plastic (NOT STYROFOAM) cups. All my cups had cracked in shipment and their was dry soil everywhere. I had to re-pot everything in decent 4" pots and except for the 3 large vines the others will have to be nursed along.

I have no problem with buying rooted cuttings. Many plants are propagated that way. I do have a problem with plants sent out before they have a good root system . 4 of my purchases should have been given AT LEAST another month to root before they were shipped. The prices were HIGH for such tiny,barely rooted cuttings.

I was impressed with the variety and the fast shipping. I was impressed with 1/2 my order. I was underwhelmed by the other half of the order. I am feeling I should leave a NEUTRAL but will leave a POSITIVE. I know this nursery is a back-yard operation run by a real plant lover so will give the benefit of the doubt.
Positive Gotmilkweed
Edgewater, MD
March 2, 2009
I found Lori Rubel's website, " Georgia Vines" when I was looking for new kinds of Milkweeds to grow. I found many new and ususual Asclepias and placed two seed orders.Both came promptly and with excellent germination instructions. I am now planning to order more seed and I'm looking over her plant selection as well.
Positive jrozier
Charleston, SC
January 25, 2009
Nice plants, good prices and great customer service!
Positive begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA (Zone 9a)
December 9, 2008
Thanks Lori for the great selection of Asclepias seeds. Fast shipping, well packed seeds!
Positive stan98003
Federal Way, WA
September 12, 2008
All the plants arrived promptly, and I was really happy that I was home when they did. I took them out of their wrapping and followed your instructions to the letter. Sure they looked a little stressed, but they perked up after the following day. I also gave them a light misting of water in the evening, for the first week they were under my care. The main trick with passion flower vines is to keep them moist, with good drainage. They are now in their hanging basket getting settled in to start growing into mature vines. They are good healthy little starts,and it was great doing business with your garden. Thanks, Stan
Positive robcorreia
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
August 28, 2008
I hate to be the first one to leave a negative feedback here, but I am very unhappy with my experience with Georgia Vines.
I ordered a Passiflora and a Vigna Caracalla. When I received my order, I thought the size of the "plants" was a joke. Actually, I wouldn't even call them plants, but "rooted cuttings". The Passiflora barely had roots. The Vigna C. was merely a twig, with falling yellow leaves. I am pretty seasoned when it comes to purchasing plants online, and given the good reviews, I thought I would give the "plants" a chance before contacting them.
I saw no progress in 2-3 weeks, and Dmailed them to resolve the situation in a friendly manner. I even offered to send pictures to illustrate my complaint. (and I will be happy to send these pictures to whoever wants to see).
I am yet to receive a response!!!
On September 5th, 2008, robcorreia changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I finally heard back from Georgia Vines. She was very kind and right away offered to replace the plants I received in bad condition with new ones, which she did promptly.

Although the plants are indeed just starters with a baby root system - and I believe this should be stated more clearly on the website - I will turn my rating to a positive. Customer service to me is extremely important, and I did feel valued as a customer when she offered to help improve my experience in any way she could. The replacements I received came in much better condition.

I will be happy to buy from them again when shopping for hard to find vines I cannot purchase as larger specimens elsewhere.
Positive ahelms
Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b)
August 25, 2008
I've made several purchases and received great looking plants. I'll definately order again.
Positive kranomo
(Karen O.)Georgetown, TX (Zone 8b)
August 21, 2008
Too bad there is not a "Beyond Expections" experience box to check for Georgia Vines, because Lori certainly deserves that rating.
I emailed her about my problem area and what would survive in my zone and heat. She quickly emailed me with suggestions.
My order was promply shipped...the vines were so well packaged; each vine looked as if she had plucked them from her garden that morning and hand carried them to me. I was amazed how these vines survived 100+ F temps to TX and arrived looking so fresh. I would gladly order from Lori again.
BTW: the vines are thriving here in the TX sun.
Karen O.
Positive riemanbr
Tulsa, OK
July 22, 2008
The order was shipped quickly ... the plant was large and healthy, better than I had hoped for. Would definitely order again.
Positive Ammu
Dubuque, IA
July 22, 2008
I purchased an italian jasmine plant from this company at Daves Marketplace. Lori was very helpful, she sent the required information & it was a smooth transaction. However, i received a showy jasmine plant. I informed Lori of the mix up & she IMMEDIATELY responded with an apology & PROMPTLY sent me an italian jasmine plant.
I appreciate the personal & courteous customer service.
As i say i will not hesitate to order from georgiavines again, i have placed another order for this wonderful plant from this ever so Gracious seller.
Thanks Lori.
On July 22nd, 2008, Ammu added the following:

In all the excitement i forgot to write a note about the packaging. I think it deserves special mention.
Perfect, Professional is what comes to mind. Very nicely done. & the special note to the postal carrier to leave it in an area away from the hot sun adds a nice touch & keeps the plants from overheating.
Thanks again Lori.
Positive gloria44
Sacramento, CA
June 26, 2008
I pressed something on the computer and botched my
former message-anyway.... Received a very healthy
Passiflora Edulis (purple/black skin fruit-passion fruit)
from Georgia Vines two days after I ordered it. Am very
satisfied with the service and plant and plan to "stuff my
face" and my friends faces with beautiful passion fruit
next year. Passiflor Edulis has been impossible to find
here in Sacramento, Ca., at nurseries or on line. Thanks
again Lori.
Positive SelenaLatina
Marrero, LA
June 26, 2008
I am very happy with my macadamia seedling. It was shipped in less than a week and arrived in healthy condition. It was well packaged and even had directions for the postman to put it in the shade for me. :) Instructions were included in the packaging and some were e-mailed to me and I really appreciated it because I never received a seedling in the mail. I would definitely shop here again!
Positive Zmoose
Irwin, PA
June 17, 2008
Very fast shipping. Careful packaging and healthy plants.
Positive weijunwang
Baltimore, MD
June 11, 2008
prompt shipping and carefull packing.
Positive banananut
Eureka, CA (Zone 9b)
June 8, 2008
Always easy to deal with. Have ordered banana seeds several times(ebay, and store), and had very good germination percentages. I'm glad someone has some of the more rare banana seeds in the US, otherwise you have to order more than you need from over seas.