The scoop on 'Bluestone Perennials'

Bluestone Perennials

Bluestone Perennials has 1124 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Bluestone Perennials is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

7211 Middle Ridge Rd.
Madison, Ohio 44057-3096 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Bluestone Perennials at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Company Comment, posted on August 10, 2011:
We take pride in offering the very best perennial plants. We have 41 years of experience in growing and shipping our plants, and all are backed with our unsurpassed 100% guarantee. Our plants are grown in 3 1/2" square X 4" deep Coco Potsóan ingenious pot made of coconut husk fibers (coir) that are superior to plastic pots in every way. They are biodegradable and can be planted directly in the ground.

Our plants grown in Coco Pots are better because:
~ The pots let plant roots breathe, resulting in a larger and healthier root systems.
~ The robust roots grow healthy, vigorous plants.
~ Larger first-year growth. The 100% natural pots are planted right into the ground, so transplant shock is virtually eliminated.

Check out this video that shows why our new coir pots help us deliver a superior plant:

Bluestone Perennials is a family run company thatís committed to our customers and the environment. Our wonderful staff, outstanding plants and our 100% guarantee ensure your happiness.

**Sign up for our Newsletter to receive special offers and educational releases**

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Posted on April 27, 2014, updated April 29, 2015
Posted on April 27, 2013, updated April 27, 2014
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated April 27, 2013
Posted on May 7, 2003, updated June 2, 2012
First, I must thank all of the people who took the time to recommend this great company. Because of the detailed feedback, I confidently ordered, and today received my first order from Bluestone. I purchased 33 plants and the quality is excellent. They are smaller that the plants one would purchase at a nursery, but I would say that they are the same size as the far more expensive White Flower Farm plants. I usually grow my own plants from seed, only buying what I cannot grow, so I am accustomed to robust plants, and these are. And some of the varieties I purchased, such as Heuchera Firefly and Heucherella Bridgett\\\\\\\'s Bloom, are usually quite expensive. And the prices! Taking advantage of some specials and 3 for 1 offfers, I paid $98.75 for 33 plants - including shipping - less than $3.00 a plant! Receiving an e-mail and a UPS tracking number was an unexpected plus. Another bonus - did anyone notice that the plants are hardened off when you receive them? They note that they can be exposed to temperatures as low as 26 degrees. What a great company! They are my first stop from now on.
On August 1st, 2003, DonnaMack added the following:

After I printed the above I ordered additional plants from Bluestone, and continue to be impressed. Of the total of 49 plants I put in, 49 took! I put in arabis, a spring blooming plant, and it bloomed in summer, and has spread considerably. The verbena Homestead Purple, Heucherella, Tiarella, and most of the others actually bloomed. Some look like mature plants, blooming with no restraint. I installed all of them in May and June!

I\\\\\\\'m working on my fall order. These guys are incredible.
On May 14th, 2007, DonnaMack added the following:

I have ordered annually each year since my above review, and have been pleased with my orders, but my most recent experience with the company was the best thus far. I was having trouble entering coupon codes, so I called and spoke with a wonderful representative who explained to me the numbers on the codes and then offered to take my order over the telephone. This was very much to my advantage, because she (I\\\\\\\'m so sorry I did not get her name) repeatedly brought specials to my attention of which I was unaware. The result was that I received 12 free plants. My order came yesterday and every plant was healthy and viable. I also received a HUGE primula Japonica (much larger than my favorite local nursery) as a replacement for a plant that was mistakenly labeled as such last year. Better yet, I was given a delivery confirmation from Fed Ex, and my plants were delivered as promised on the afternoon of May 12, the day before Motherís Day (what a tough day to keep a delivery commitment!). And our last frost date in zone 5a is May 15. Perfect.

I cannot imagine how this entire transaction could have been better.

On June 2nd, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I had hesitated to purchase from Bluestone this season, given the comments and the higher prices. But they sent me an email about discounted items, and I could not resist trying them again, so I ordered a few plants.

I must say that I was very pleased with the quality of the plants. I found that the roots were somewhat embedded in the coir so I could not remove it, but the fact that they had grown into and in some places through the coir is a good sign.

I also had a free shipping code from three years ago - and they honored it!

I will be back.
On April 27th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I must say that I am very happy with Bluestone this year. I ordered all half price plants in January: 3 Campanula Bellringers, 2 Penstemon digitalis \\\\\\\'Husker Red\\\\\\\', a panicum and 2 Fothergilla Mt. Airy shrubs. The plants are just excellent. The qualuty is very high. They are of nice size. I remove the coir immediately because I have trouble cutting it away - and the soil was dry. But the plants are perfect!
On April 27th, 2014, DonnaMack added the following:

I took advantage of Bluestone sales from December on to order quite a few plants. I didn\\\\\\\'t realize how many until they came a few days ago. I must admit that I consistently cut the plants out of the coir pots. But I actually gasped when my order came. The plants are much bigger than they were a few years ago, and the quality is better than my expensive garden center, which I visited after I received them, in order to buy compost and mulch. I no longer need to hold them for transplanting - they are eye catching.

But what I really love was the ability to pay for each order and have it \\\\\\\"held\\\\\\\". So I got pristine fresh, large plants while paying ONE shipping cost for plants ordered in December, January, March and April. It actually allowed me to buy much more than I would have if I had ordered them all at once, and there was a single shipping charge.

I had concerns about Bluestone a little while back, but the quality of the plants, the Friday specials (dangerous) and excellent shipping have made me a believer again.
On April 29th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I received a very nice order from Bluestone. The plants I received were great, as usual. but one item was eliminated from my order, that being athyrium nipponicum \\\'Ursulas Red\\\', a very hard to find plant. I was particularly disappointed because it was on special, and after I ordered two the special on this plant continued for several days. So my perception is that they either gave my plants to someone else, or they did not monitor their inventory. They did give me a refund check for the two plants, which I very much appreciated, as well as a coupon for a free plant. The other plant they could not provide, Anemone Alice, was is on backorder, which is fine.

I was able to order the fern from Forest Farm, where I have an open order and was actually able to fill a box so there will be no additional shipping.

I leave my rating as positive because I truly think that they stepped up after this error. A check for the plants, an explanation that Alice is coming in the fall, and a free ground cover plant make my overall experience with Bluestone quite positive.
On May 30th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received and planted three excellent ceratostigma plumbaga (plumbago) that was part of their end of season sale. From the wonderful quality of the plants, you would never know it. True, I always cut away the coir, but doing that only shows me clearly the excellent quality of the plants.
On October 2nd, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I mentioned in my update of April 29 that I had been disappointed that I had not received a athyrium nipponicum 'Ursula's Red' that I had ordered. Bluestone sent me a coupon for one free plant. Talk about disappointment tuning into bliss! I ordered a helleborus "Rose Quarta' and I just received it. I couldn't be happier. It is a gorgeous plant, and the cost of it is much higher than my original request. Plants like this will keep me coming back year after year!

And I received my anemone Alice a few weeks back. Nice healthy plants that are increasing.

Neutral ellenfoster
Hinesburg, VT
September 20, 2015
plants arrived well packaged and the daylilies I ordered were in good order. The blue grass samples were small, although, because of their pots, I could see that they had not just been re-potted into a larger pot, as some nurseries do. Each time I order from them, about every year or so, I find that the plants I order are smaller than I expected.
Positive glasstoad
Omaha, NE
September 16, 2015
Today I received my shipment of Centaurea and these plants are very large and healthy. The packing again is excellent. I've dealt with them for a number of years and have been very pleased with their product and services.
Neutral enviroplanter
Spring House, PA
July 28, 2015
Posted on May 26, 2015, updated July 28, 2015
Posted on May 14, 2010, updated May 26, 2015
A plant I ordered this year was shipped via UPS on a Friday, so it sat in a hot UPS truck over the weekend and took 4 days to arrive instead of the normal 2. Needless to say, it did not survive. To their credit, they sent a replacement plant and said they would issue a refund (which I haven\\\'t seen yet). Also, their idea of packing is to stick the pot (soil uncovered and unwrapped) in a box and then fill the box with plastic peanuts (not environmentally friendly)--not the best way to insure healthy arrival.
On May 26th, 2015, enviroplanter changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I ordered from them again this year and was very pleasantly surprised. The plants arrived in great shape (their packing is minimal and truly ingenious), and the biodegradable pots make planting very easy. All plants have survived and are doing well. Definitely the place to go for perennials.
On July 28th, 2015, enviroplanter changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I'm not so sure now about the coir pots. I had occasion to dig up some of their plants that I planted earlier this year; in some cases the roots had developed well through the pot, but in others (same variety in the same location) there was practically no root development.
Positive BeaGardener
Lexington, MA
July 9, 2015
I ordered 3 pink agastache plants ("Raspberry Summer"). Plants arrived in great condition, except they were not what I ordered. They had the correct tags in the pots, but they were purple--not even close to pink! I called right away and Bluestone Customer Service took great care of me. I got replacements within 2 days and the plants are doing great! I would definitely order from them again.
Positive sierra77
Cedar Valley, OK (Zone 6b)
July 8, 2015
I ordered several plants from Bluestone Perennials this spring. All arrived quickly and were in great shape except for one. It was in its last death throes. I contacted customer service and explained the situation. They offered me credit or a replacement plant. The plant I had ordered was out of stock so I chose a different type of plant. Bluestone sent it Priority Mail and I received it in two days! Very nice, healthy plant, at no charge! You can't ask for more than that. I think they try very hard to live up to expectations but mistakes are always going to happen. I am very pleased with their service.
Positive Gumneckdg
Richmond, VA
June 27, 2015
My past orders from Bluestone have included many perennials and more recently shrubs - abelia, variegated boxwood and false cypress. The shrubs arrived small and I kept in pots for a while, burying the pots in the ground over the winter. All the plants are now in the ground and thriving. This is a good company that I enjoy doing business with. I also like the fact that they keep past orders online in your account info. Helps me every time I forget whether that hydrangea I ordered is a pink diamond or quick fire hydrangea or what.
Positive SpringPeeper
Willows, CA
June 12, 2015
FedEx lost my package and I contacted Bluestone Perennials for some info FedEx wanted for the claim. Bluestone, without being asked (since it was not their fault) reshipped the order, and the plants arrived healthy and lovely looking. I was surprised by how proactive they were with customer service. I will definitely be looking at Bluestone when making future gardening plans.
Positive homeharvester
Canfield, OH
June 11, 2015
Huge pat on the back for this company; order was shipped when promised but I was unable to get the package open until 7 days later. One plant was a little wilted (it is resting in my shaded nursery area and already doing better), everything else is fine, root balls are still hydrated. Great job. I'm not crazy about their pots; I've found that the rim needs to be cut off, otherwise, the pots wick the water away from the plant after it is in the ground. Small price to pay for excellent plants and service.
Positive edgar2975
San Jose, CA
June 7, 2015
I ordered two Clematis Rebecca, and Rosemoor. Plants arrived in excellent condition and delivery was on schedule. I will most likely order from Bluestone again.
Positive coriaceous
June 5, 2015
Posted on February 1, 2014, updated June 5, 2015
I\'ve ordered from Bluestone at least three times over the years. Communication was excellent, I received exactly what I ordered when I expected it, and the plants were well packed.
Customer service was excellent. I wouldn\'t hesitate to recommend this nursery to anyone.

My only quibble with this nursery is their use of coir pots. I\'ve long found that the only way to get a plant in a coir pot to survive in the ground is to rip it out of the pot before planting, not an easy task.

On June 5th, 2015, coriaceous added the following:

I ordered again this year. I stand by what I said. However, Bluestone's prices and shipping charges have been growing. When I first ordered from them, both were much more economical than any other online nursery. Now they are significantly pricier than average.
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
May 30, 2015
We used to order all the time when they sold the 3-pack of small plants for a very reasonable price. Then we stopped for a few years and meanwhile they changed to the coir and the higher prices, so we didn't use them although they do have nice stuff. This year we sent in 2 orders and both were great with nice plants arriving quickly and in good health. But we do cut away the coir, which seems like kind of a waste. The plants are too expensive, however, to take a chance with it.
Positive MNWildRose
Winona, MN
May 30, 2015
I recently put in an order with Bluestone Perennials and was emailed written confirmation for "Spring" shipment of all plants. When received I was very disappointed to find two of the plants missing, "back-ordered" until fall. And yet more unhappy to find that my credit card had been charged for the entire order.

So I immediately contacted Bluestone Perennials, telling them of my dissatisfaction about how my order was handled. Pat in Customer Service was very responsive to my communication about this.

Bluestone graciously offered a generous replacement of plants to "make things right." These plants just arrived and look healthy. Because of this good customer service I look forward to future purchases from Bluestone Perennials.
Positive narina77
Blairstown, NJ
May 29, 2015
Everything was in good condition except for two plants which they replaced immediately no questions asked. And one perked up eventually after a few weeks. I ordered again because I was pleased with them. When they put things on clearance they really sell cheap and the plants are perfect. I am a very satisfied customer. They also shipped fast, packaged well and returned emails quickly. Also had a plant online for free, which I added to my order and those free plants were also in excellent condition!
Positive shisomadness
New York City, NY
May 29, 2015
I took advantage of their sale prices and got some clematis and hellebores and asters at great prices, especially given how the plants are thriving. Will order more for sure.
Positive javaqueen
Glens Falls, NY
May 18, 2015
I received another order from Bluestone this week and all the plants look great. Larger than expected and full. I got astilbe, echinops, calycanthus and agastache.
My only disappoinment is that I can never seem to get the specialty coneflowers. I order them in the winter and then when shipping time arrives, they are either back ordered or I get a refund. Other than that, I have been very happy with service and quality.
Positive Canarykeeper
Menlo, IA
May 15, 2015
I have purchased several plants from this company over the years. Only a few plants have died, which this company immediately replaced with no expense to me. How many nurseries will do that? And they did not require me to mail my dead specimens back or pay for shipping costs. Any they did not demand photo evidence. I love this company. They are honorable people who respect their customers.
Negative nw6b
Moorestown, NJ
May 13, 2015
I ordered from Bluestone Perennials (BP) last fall on the basis of the overwhelming positive feedback on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, my experience did not live up to the hype. I order a variety of perennials and all have been disappointments. I won't be ordering from BP again.

I ordered irises, phlox, shasta daisies, baptisia, mums, and a peony, all of which I planted last fall. At the same time, I planted other perennials (different varieties of the same plants) purchased from another online retailer and a local garden center. Whereas the other plants are thriving, none of the plants from BP are doing well.

The irises seem to have survived, but they are so thin and weak, they are hardly distinguishable from blades of grass. The phlox and daisies have yet to show any growth. The peonies from Adelmans have each sent up 3 or 4 stems, all of which are about 2' tall already and are forming small buds, but the peony from BP hasn't sent up a single shoot. If I hadn't put a stake in the ground where I planted it, you wouldn't know there is a peony root there.

I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, but it is well earned.
Company representative comment on May 27, 2015:
On May 27, 2015 3:08 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

I hope you will be in touch so that we can make things right for you. Your purchases are guaranteed and we can reship or refund per your wishes. I apologize that the new plants struggled to do well over the winter.

Positive flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID
May 8, 2015
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated May 8, 2015
If I could give a \"positive-plus\" rating to this company, I would. The plants I have received from them are well started, nice and green, in pots with well-developed root systems. So much better than those I\'ve gotten from some other mail-order nurseries. The plants in my Bluestone order are also very good sized. There are a few varieties that I would like to see them include in future catalogs that aren\'t in current ones, but the quality of what I\'ve gotten can\'t be beaten! Bluestone Perennials is a keeper.

On May 8th, 2015, flowermaiden2 added the following:

My experience with Bluestone Perennials continues to be positive.

My large order arrived, today, correct and complete, with healthy, robust plants. The Violas are blooming, and they are lovely.

My only concern is those fiber pots they insist upon sending them in. I have removed those in the past and shall do so, again. They're supposed to be biodegradable and decompose right inside the planting hole, over time. I fear this will take too long, and the plants will remain rootbound in the meantime. I like to spread out the roots when I plant, so they can have plenty of room in which to grow. It's really not a lot of trouble to remove those fiber pots -- I just score vertically down each corner and off they come.

Bluestone was very good about letting me add to my order as I found more plants later on that I wanted, so I would only have to pay shipping once.

They're also very good about keeping me updated on the status of my order.

Good company. I shall continue ordering from them in seasons to come.
Positive LucasCatChow
Tulsa, OK
April 23, 2015
Posted on May 27, 2013, updated April 23, 2015
I had been reading some negative reviews on Bluestone last year which was surprising as I\'ve been dealing with them for decades with no problems. I think the majority of complaints revolved around their new coir pot method of sending/growing plants. I was a little nervous to see what my order would look like using this \"new\" system, but in my case at least, they did a fine job. The quality of the plants was good, and after peeling off the coir wrapper, I plopped the well rooted plants in the ground once the weather warmed up. Thumbs Up from me.
On April 23rd, 2015, LucasCatChow added the following:

I just received my order for spring, and I think this is the best order ever. Every plant looks green, full and well rooted. No problem with the packaging either. I've been ordering the same plants from them for many years, and it seems they have hit a high water mark this year in particular.
Positive DaisyPeach
(Zone 7a)
April 21, 2015
Posted on April 11, 2004, updated April 21, 2015
This company has the best deal if you need several plants and don\'t have a lot of money to spend. They don\'t always have all the latest varieties but what they do carry is pretty amazing considering the price. I received a giant box of perennials from Bluestone a few days ago and was once again impressed with the quality of their plants. Everything was healthy, labeled and packed properly. Hats off to an outstanding mail order nursery!
On April 21st, 2015, DaisyPeach added the following:

I think this is the year I was most impressed with Bluestone. Opening my mail order box was like opening a box of Spring! Really. Perfectly packed, fully leafed out plants in perfect condition with no breakage at all, when does that ever happen?
Thumbs up Bluestone!
Neutral woof12
Philadelphia, PA
January 2, 2015
Posted on December 14, 2012, updated January 2, 2015
Posted on April 26, 2011, updated December 14, 2012
Posted on April 28, 2006, updated April 26, 2011
They used to be better. I\'ve gotten stuff from them for years and the last two have been the worst. It used to be buy 2 get 1 free. Then it was changed from that to 25%.and this year it\'s 20%. On top of that that the plants they sent last spring were all out of their pots & everthing was all over & dried out. They sent replacements but this year the same thing happened. dried out plants out of their pots & dirt all over. On top of that the replacements that they sent were even worse. The replacements were in worse condition that the original ones this spring. I\'m waiting to see if I\'ll get a refund for all this trouble as I was told, but Bluestone\'s not as reliable as they used to be.
On May 4th, 2006, woof12 added the following:

On May 2nd. Bluestone replied to this rating & my comment of April 28th., but for now I\'m keeping it as is. I\'ve contacted the company and now I\'m just waiting for the refund. But I still don\'t see it as being the carrier\'s fault as they suggested. I\'ve gotten other plants thru various mail order places & never had problems like these. I still think Bluestone has a problem with the way their plants are packed and shipped. The plants arrived totally bone dry & all over the carton out of their pots. That\'s not the carrier. That\'s how they were probably packed up in shipping.
On May 9th, 2006, woof12 added the following:

The refund from Bluestone finally came thru but I I still stand with the original rating & I see I\'m not the only one with this problem. Also, since Bluestone will see this it would be nice if they did something about their shipping & handling department. There\'s no excuse for what happened!
On April 25th, 2007, woof12 added the following:

Geez! Another so-so order. A few plants were okay but some were too small and got weighed down by all those stupid peanuts. One was so small it shouldn\'t been shipped, at least not yet & not at those prices. Also, some of the plant pots/cells were broken. in shipping.
On April 26th, 2011, woof12 added the following:

Another loser of an order. Out of everything ordered ony 3 plants were any good. The rest were either dead or dried up. They replaced the dead & dried up ones, but some replacements had the same problem.
On December 14th, 2012, woof12 added the following:

Just got their spring 2013 catalog & don\'t like anything about the new system they have forsing their catalog. now they sell just one plant in a plantable pot for double what the old way cost. I still think the old way was better.
On January 2nd, 2015, woof12 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Whatever happened to the old Bluestone? Their spring 2015 catalog just came & they've pulled the discount code from it. First it was 20%, then 15%, & last year it was 10%. Now there's no discount code.
Company representative comment on April 28, 2011:

On May 2, 2006 3:09 PM, Bluestone Perennials added:

Bluestone here: Sorry to hear that your order is not surviving transit. If once carrier is more gentle in your area than another, we can assign a method of shipping to your order of your choice. We can't tell who you are from this site, but we hope you have contacted us directly for a full refund. Our apologies.

On Apr 28, 2011 10:25 AM, Bluestone Perennials added:

We are glad that you have been in touch regarding a refund on your order, as this is always an option with our 100% guarantee. We are as disappointed as you are that your plants arrived in poor condition.

Positive blumenlieber
vancouver, WA (Zone 8a)
October 26, 2014
Posted on November 10, 2004, updated October 26, 2014
Took advantage of the 50% off bulb special. First time customer. I received a prompt email letting me know one type bulb no longer available; on delivery received an order slip with a handwritten apology that a few others were out of stock (expected this at the tail end of the season)--impeccable communication! Delivery within a week. Orderly packaging, all labeled, large and healthy specimens. I coudn\'t be happier with such a caring attitude, and extra bulbs were thrown in to boot. I am already planning on what to order for spring with the great coupons I received. Thanks Bluestone!
On November 2nd, 2005, blumenlieber added the following:

again, another great experience. This time I ordered bulbs and also ordered live plants, which arrived looking healthy and incredibly packaged so barely a leaf was out of place. I am glad to do business with Bluestone.
On October 26th, 2014, blumenlieber added the following:

I have not ordered from Bluestone in quite awhile, because I simply ran out of gardening space. Bluestone plants are the best--THE BEST. I could go to a big box store and get gallons cheaper but why would I want to fill my garden with what everybody and their state highway department has? I still have Bluestone plantings from years ago--monarda, phlox, echinacea, aster, etc.: It's obvious Bluestone cares for their plants properly. Most garden centers are more focused on selling over-priced containers and outdoor furniture than selling healthy plants and maintaining wide plant selections. And big box stores? Most the time I want to grab a hose and water the poor dying few varieties they carry because nobody else will. I now received a fall order (took less than a week) and don't get all the negativity about the fiber pots--plants look fabulous! I typically remove plants from whatever container they come in before planting, coir plastic peat whatever, and compost the pots or re-use them for my seed-started plants. The packaging for my order was wonderfully done--nothing out of place, plenty of space. I, too, remember the "3 or 6 for $" days, but those plants were much smaller plugs and, quite frankly, I could divide what i just received into more than 3 plugs each. THANK YOU BLUESTONE! got a bigger garden so I'll be back!
Positive trekman1
October 15, 2014
Outstanding experience! Our best friends and business partners visited Bluestone with us last week. Tony was there and was extremely helpful and courteous. They were out of some fancy peonies for the fall and I happened to "wander" into an area and found some. Tony sold us four of the bags! On our way out, he gave us a nice tour of their operation! He even let us have some empty bulb boxes to store my bulbs in!

We will definitely be ordering from this company again, either in person or via catalog, or both! Thanks!

Oh, and he recommended a restaurant for us to visit and have lunch! We did and the food was good.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
September 26, 2014
Posted on May 26, 2014, updated September 26, 2014
Posted on September 28, 2011, updated May 26, 2014
Posted on September 8, 2011, updated September 28, 2011
Posted on May 2, 2010, updated September 8, 2011
i already rated this company positive under just plantgnome, but I wanted to rate again-This years purchases came in much larger than the past couple of years orders-great plants, all are thriving and they even replaced a couple of plants that didn\'t make it thru our harsh winter. I highly recommend this company for both value, plant health and customer service. AAAAAA++++++
On September 8th, 2011, plantgnome1 added the following:

I still feel this company is one of the top perennial online nurseries-I am however unpleasantly surprised at how the \"3 for $\" is now single plants for what appears to be alot more money per plant. for instance 3 starfire tall phlox I believe was about $15.00 and now they are each about $9.00-(can\'t check for exact amount as their site is down right now) which is a huge pricing increase. Shipping costs remain reasonable as opposed to other companies exorbitant shipping costs. Perhaps because they raised their plant prices to absorb the shipping costs. I am anxiously awaiting several orders in their \"new\" packaging and hope I do not have the problems listed recently here at garden watchdog. As per other reviewers I have created numerous different gardens in my yard with Bluestone plants and i would say 95% of them survived pretty nasty weather including late spring freezes, and Tropical Storm Irene recently. Having lost my job 2 years ago my ordering is not what it used to be, but they are one of two companies I still give most of my orders to. Keeping my fingers crossed.
On September 28th, 2011, plantgnome1 added the following:

I received my sizable order in a timely fashion, as I always did from them. two of the packages were shipped fed ex ground-Those arrived in perfect condition- all plants a nice size and no packing peanuts-thank the lord. the third box some reason was shipped UPS-that one came with the plants in the box but not in their pots-soil all over the place. I promptly filled the coco pots with more soil and put the plants back in them as they looked okay, not dried out. I soaked the repotted plants overnight in a pan of water with a few drops of Miracle Grow starter. Planted them the next day and they appear okay. I am keeping a close eye on them. I like the new pots-of which most of the plants roots were already showing thru the sides and bottom of the pot. I feel this protects them thru the winter freezes. Two plants which I expected were not shipped due to a crop failure but to make up for this they are sending a free plant of my choice! Also adding plants to an order which was almost ready to ship at the last minute. I am still very happy with bluestone (other than the huge price hike).
So-I think alot of the issues people have regarding the condition upon arrival of their plants has more to do with the shipping company (UPS) than the packaging. I rather have my orders shipped Fed-ex-as they come intact. The other issue-pricing-the other companies are charging ridiculous shipping amounts for minimal orders, but their plants are cheaper-one way or another you are paying. For instance up to a $25 order is 7.95 shipping with bluestone. Other companies-every plant you add raises the shipping charges and start at 7.50 for just 1 5.00 plant and rises as you add more plants especially during sales. So really its 6 of one half a dozen of another-thats the way online plant companies work. I rarely order plants from companies with a minimum order requirement either as I feel thats not a really good business practice. Some companies charge almost $20.00 to ship one plant-thats pretty much price gouging unless they are sending a gardener with the plant to dig the holes. LOL
Finally-I will still purchase from Bluestone and a few other reputable companies and have removed about 5 top watchdog companies from my previous list as they not only overcharge for plants but to add insult to injury and also overcharge for shipping or have minimum requirements.
Lastly-Companies are in business to make money so use your common sense when choosing one.
On May 26th, 2014, plantgnome1 added the following:

Still getting nice plants, I take them out of the those \"coir\" pots as I lost several plants that I planted in the ground still in those pots. The ones I removed from the pots did much better and came thru this awful winter.
This year their sale is not the great sale that they have had in previous years. They are not all half price as they used to be. Some only 25% off, some 35% and some 50%. So my orders are not the size as they used to be either. In the past I have gotten fantastic priced Hosta etc. This year not the case. So I only ordered 1. I waited for the old sales every year, very disappointed this year.
On September 26th, 2014, plantgnome1 added the following:

Received my fall order of bulbs and I had used a coupon code for a surprise bag of bulbs, which by the way are the same "surprise" as last fall, Allium nectaroscordum which are apparently on sale for under $4 for 3 bulbs. I guess in the future if I order bulbs again I will not be "surprised" much with the bonus bulbs. Order also included replacement plants of Gaillardia golden goblin, originals which did not appear to be "goblins" as they grew to 3 feet tall, not the 1 foot plant as advertised. Thank you for the replacements.
I NEVER plant my orders with those coir pots-they cause root rot in my opinion. If I can remove the plants without cutting up the coir pots, I reuse the pots for seed starting.
I don't order half the amount of plants from BP as I used to because of their constantly rising prices, lack of those helpful huge sheets of coupons I used to get and their disappointing spring and fall sales. The shrubs (hydrangea, cornus, false cypress, weigela etc) that arrive are miniscule and at my age, I hope I get see them grow to near full size LOL.
I did find the $5 off thank you codes useful tho and did use them for the limited time they were offered.
Positive joandud
White Lake, MI
August 18, 2014
I have ordered from Bluestone for several years and have usually been pleased with the plants and certainly with the customer service. I agree with others that I preferred the 3 plant format, and I don't think the plants now offered are larger than before. I definitely do NOT like the coir pots! It's a pain to cut the rims down so they don't stick out of the ground (and, yes, I do mulch) and wick moisture. Yanking them out of those pots causes trauma to the plants. Since plastic pots are recyclable I see no reason not to use them. As did a previous reviewer, I have lost viola Etian two years in a row. Additionally, the Tomato Soup echinacea, which was replaced by BP once, didn't make it. All of this being said, I like the company, their plant choices and their customer service. A gift certificate from them is always on my birthday wish list.
Positive Gracesmom
July 5, 2014
I ordered 18 plants from this company this past spring. They arrived within 2 days from ordering. The plants were very well packaged. A couple of the plants looked a little sad on arrival. I watered everything well, then removed the pots they were sent in and planted. Everything is growing fine and several have already begun to flower, even the one I though for sure would die is up and doing well. I'll be a repeat customer.
Positive Jay11
Cambridge, MA
June 11, 2014
I have ordered various perennials that are not available at big box stores from Bluestone over the years and never been disappointed. This year I was especially pleased with the packaging. The plants arrived very fresh looking encased in cardboard boxing, all recyclable. I removed the "coir" pots and used the coir for other purposes in my gardening. The plants are thriving in my garden. I found the prices very reasonable and will certainly order again from Bluestone.
Positive hypocondro
United States
June 6, 2014
I got my plants much sooner than i expected! They are all healthy and growing well. i will most likely order from them again in the future. From my experience with this company, they are vigilant to their customers and offer a wonderful array of plants that are sparingly seen else where for the prices they have.
Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
June 3, 2014
Posted on May 27, 2014, updated June 2, 2014
Posted on April 13, 2013, updated May 27, 2014
Posted on April 1, 2003, updated April 13, 2013
This is another company I'd rate a solid "B", somewhere between positive and neutral. The plants are small, and I freely admit that I ordered plants that turned out to be growing wild in the woodlot behind my house in Kansas. I felt quite the idiot for paying money for stuff I could have dug up and planted for free, but Bluestone isn't to blame for my ignorance.

I prefer plants in the 3-6" pot size, because they seem to perform best for me, needing the least care and coddling to survive and reach maturity. Again, that's mere preference on my part, and my only complaint with Bluestone is that they aren't completely clear that the plants they ship are in smaller containers than I like. That could be remedied with a photograph in the catalog.

The plants I have received over the years have been healthy, and not excessively expensive. I just wish (and don't we all?) that they were larger.
On May 11th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

This year's order was much better than the orders I received 10 years ago. The pot size is a little larger (no more 72's, I assume), and the plants are also correspondingly larger. They arrived in good condition, even though picking out styrofoam peanuts is a pain. My order this year consisted of 12 chrysanthemum plants (the football mum and quilled/spoon collections). I ordered from Bluestone because I couldn't find this kind of mum except through one other source, and I didn't want quite as many plants as they offered.
On May 26th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

I have to add another non-complaint--Bluestone sent a packet of all these great coupons for my next order. But I already HAVE all the varieties of the specified plants that I want and/or have room for! I wish Bluestone grew more unusual plants more to my unusual tastes, but to be fair, there are other companies that cater to the plantlover in search of the extremely unusual. Bluestone fills its niche admirably and I can't justify asking them to change because I'm a plantoholic.
On September 15th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

With all the coupons I used and a half-price sale on selected bulbs, I can't complain about my most recent order. Some plants were a bit small, or a bit anemic-looking, but overall they are healthy and I'm sure all will grow just fine. The mums I ordered in May have done beautifully. Overall, good value for the money.
On April 3rd, 2006, nevadagdn added the following:

Can I complain because I FORGOT where I planted many of my bulbs and plants and it's still too early for many of them to emerge? Naaah...that would be silly!
On November 1st, 2007, nevadagdn added the following:

An order of half-price bulbs from the recent sale is completely satisfactory; they aren't the largest bulbs available, but they are still excellent value for the money. Ordering, communication and timely order processing/delivery were excellent as usual. The asters I thought were a bit anemic in 2005 have survived and grown beautifully.
On April 3rd, 2008, nevadagdn added the following:

I placed a very large order this spring, just received. The 3-pak plants range from small to good-sized, all perfectly healthy and vigorous and ready to either go straight out in the garden or be moved up to 4" pots. I have no complaints.
On June 7th, 2008, nevadagdn added the following:

My end-of-season sale order was exactly as I expected. Very nice.
On April 13th, 2013, nevadagdn added the following:

I can't decide if I like the new coir pots or not. The plants themselves look really nice. Prices seem to still be reasonable for what I got.
On May 27th, 2014, nevadagdn added the following:

I just wanted to point out that I always (and did so in 2013) remove plants from coir pots, regardless of where I bought them. Coir pots may be more ecologically "friendly" than plastic pots, but my experience with them is that they do not degrade, even in the compost heap.

My guess is others' results will be better if they remove the plants from the coir pots.
On June 3rd, 2014, nevadagdn added the following:

I placed an end-of-season sale order. It arrived in a timely fashion, and the plants are intact, good-sized and healthy.
Positive lbgardens
Palatine, IL (Zone 5a)
June 2, 2014
Posted on May 3, 2008, updated June 2, 2014
I had ordered from Bluestone in the past and been very satisfied. This year I sent them a large order. My order arrived yesterday and I couldn't be happier with their plants and packing. Every plant is so healthy. The Geranium Biokovo even has buds! Although their plants are small, they really do take off. I have never lost one of their plants from previous years and am sure these will do just as nicely providing years of enjoyment and beauty. I have read the other comments but think they sent the best plants to me. I would definitely order from them again!
On June 2nd, 2014, lbgardens added the following:

Ordered several more varieties this year which arrived in perfect condition. They are happily growing and blooming even though I did not have the opportunity to plant them right away. Yes, I do slip them out of there coir pots. They adapt with no problem. My only problem was not being notified of their shipping until they arrived. Luckily I had been on the lookout for them. A 100% positive experience and would order from them again without hesitation.
Company representative comment on June 2, 2014:
On Jun 2, 2014 3:18 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

I'm glad to hear to you are enjoying your plants, and thanks for the nice comments! I apologize for the missing notification of shipment - we had an email glitch for 2 nights when our shipping notifications looked like they went out but didn't. Unfortunately, by the time we noticed, there was no way to recreate the list and re-send them. Shipping notifications go out every night and are very helpful - especially when they work! Again, our apologies.

Positive CarynDalton
Marysville, OH
May 31, 2014
Just received my order from Bluestone this past week. I ordered during their 50% off spring sale which is the best time to buy, in my opinion in order to beat the heat of summer (which means almost certain death if plants are not babied in my hot and dry clay Ohio soil) and to get the best prices from this company. The first part of this review is only for the shipping and the condition of the plants that I received. I can update later as I see how the plants perform. I planted most of the plants the same day and the rest are being planted today, so they are going in the ground right away. They came packed very well. I am impressed with their packaging inside the box though the outside of the box had taken a bit of a beating during shipping and was softer than normal due to the fact that the soil was moist when they shipped. There was adequate airflow in the box and the moisture during shipping did not cause any mold. The hosta that I ordered was beautiful and the root system very healthy and large. I scored some harder to find elderberry bushes and can't wait to plant these today. All but one of the elderberry bushes already had multi-stems as they should. The one that didn't has a healthy stem and I trust more will grow. If not, I trust Bluestone will replace if necessary. This is not the first time I have ordered from Bluestone and I was happy the last time I ordered from them too but never placed a review. The last time I ordered, they were using different shipping methods and were not using coir pots. While their coir pots are thin, I knew better than to use them in my "soil" which is heavy on the clay. Here in my area (midwest OH) starting around first part of June the soil begins to transform into hard pan unless it has been amended diligently every year with a ton of compost (my yard is too big for that so I stick to amending around certain plants). The fact that I have a lot of shade does help but still, I do not have enough moisture throughout the summer for even the thinnest coir pot to break down. I DO appreciate that they are using coir pots but I simply peel the pot off the plant (some just slid out) and plant the rootball which were (mostly) all intact and nicely formed. Peeling the coir plant off of healthy root systems does stimulate root growth and as long as the planting hole is nice, I find plants respond very well. So, please don't freak out about those coir pots! If you have nice friable, moist soil, then you can tear off the top part of the pot and plant the pot. I still recommend tearing the bottom off the pot, though to encourage downward root growth. The pot will break down over the season. However, if you have any kind of dry issue, or have clay, I'd just peel the pot. I compost my coir and it breaks down over the season. Anyway, the condition of my plants were all fine. For the most part, healthy large root systems. One or two plants (lamium for dry shade) had smallish root systems but are healthy. I know how to work with what I purchased so I am not concerned that they will do fine. I was so pleased with the hosta that I ordered that I was sorry I didn't order more. Maybe next year... I saw no insect activity in the roots or the plants but did find a couple of worms which is a good thing. A few of my dead nettle (lamium) didn't have the most attractive foliage but who knows why. They looked healthy to me and I planted them. Overall, a very positive experience and I would order from them again..but only if they have another 50% off sale. No way could I afford their normal prices.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
May 27, 2014
Posted on July 28, 2004, updated May 27, 2014
This was the first time I dealt with bluestone and I am satisfied. The plants I ordered arrived in good shape. Their plants are rather small and why they insist on selling lots of three, I don't know. I would order from them again. They are quick and have an incredible variety.
On May 27th, 2014, psychloman added the following:

Very happy with the three plants I ordered. Plants were a nice size, very sturdy and well packed. I haven't ordered from them in a long time, but I will order again.
Negative Gully
Ellicott City, MD
May 26, 2014
Posted on July 8, 2013, updated May 26, 2014
Posted on May 7, 2013, updated July 8, 2013
My first order with this company. Plants arrived as scheduled, nicely packaged. Healthy and a nice size. Coco pots are great, will not be my last order.
On July 8th, 2013, Gully changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Plants ordered this spring have not thrived. They are still alive but not doing as well as other plants purchased elsewhere, having very little, if any, growth. I have come to believe this is because of their coir pots. Like others have said, I wish I had removed them before planting.It looks like I will have to replace them with plants purchased elsewhere.
On May 26th, 2014, Gully changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Sadly, not one single plant survived the winter which I believe is due to the Coir pots. The plants died but the coir pots are still completely intact. I would highly recommend to future buyers to remove them before planting. Disappointing experience.
Company representative comment on July 21, 2014:
On Jul 21, 2014 2:49 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

I am so sorry to hear your plants did not survive this year's brutal winter. So many people have lost so many plants!

We have made several improvements to our pots since you ordered, and we have since discovered that they do not disappear in the soil, they decompose slowly and amend the soil, becoming part of the soil. The pots can be removed, but we find it sets the plants back by 3-4 weeks as they recover, but they will catch up to the plants planted in the coir pots during the season, so it really comes down to personal preference. Our newer versions are thinner, and just as easy to work with. I personally do not use mulch in my garden, so I plant in the pot, but trim off the top rim of the pot (3/4") with a scissors as I plant so that the rim does not show above ground. It only takes a moment, and I like the look.

I hope you will give our plants(and pots!) another try, and that Mother Nature will be more kind to us all this coming winter. Jan / Helpdesk

Neutral esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
May 16, 2014
Customer service is top-notch. But the coir containers don't seem to work well. I've received plants in plastic containers and even in plastic bags, and they all grew better than ones in the coir pots. I've cut off the top of the pots so that there isn't any coir above the soil line. Even so, these plants don't seem to do as well as from other mail-order companies.
Positive esharon1
Murray, NE
May 13, 2014
I have been buying from Bluestone Perennials for several years. They are, by far, the best mail order nursery I have ever done business with.

I've had a few occasions where plants have not come back the following year and B P has always followed through with replacements. No hassle. Ever.

Some mail order companies won't replace your plants the following year unless you send the dead thing back to them (if you can even find it in the dirt) - in the original packaging!! Why would anyone want to keep all that packaging around for a year?? Bluestone Perennials NEVER makes you do that!!!

I've had a couple plants that I just can't get to grow, for what ever reason - coreopsis and euphorbia. B P replaced them a couple times, but to no avail. I've come to the conclusion that I just need to give up on these two plants. Definitely not B P's fault. It could be a soil or drainage issue. Everything else flourishes.

I've purchased the butterfly garden - wonderful!! I've also purchased numerous shrubs and many, many other flowers as I expanded my landscaping. My first orders came UPS and arrived in very good condition. Then a couple orders came by USPS - damaged, no dirt left in pots, plants dried and dead. I contacted B P and my poor, abused plants were all promptly replaced. I requested they send all future orders UPS and have had continued success receiving undamaged, healthy plants!

I will continue to buy from Bluestone Perennials!!
Positive annarborite
Ann Arbor, MI
May 12, 2014
Very pleased with the quality of plants and promptness of service at Bluestone. Their packing is exceptional as well as product information that is included. I would rank it tops in the mail order plant category. I have dealt with this company for several years and had several plants that didn't survive as you frequently do. No questions asked, they sent replacements. I prefer to buy locally but can't always find everything that I want so when mail order is the answer I would go first to Bluestone with the assuarance of getting quality product.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
May 6, 2014
I have received 2 orders this year. this is my first buying experience. so far, very healthy plants and very fast shipping. I'll see how things grow but no complaints here.
Positive oscarkat01
Rochester, NY (Zone 6a)
May 4, 2014
Posted on May 20, 2008, updated May 4, 2014
I have bought quite a few plants from Bluestone at various times. Everything came promptly, all shipping and communication were good. The plants were healthy and are still all thriving. I would highly recommend using them and I will again.
On May 4th, 2014, oscarkat01 added the following:

I continue to use Bluestone Perennials. Their plants are reliable and they just hold up. I recommended them to my Dad this year as he caught the gardening bug. I'm really picky about where I buy my plants. Certain items are just way more reasonably priced at Bluestone than our local nurseries or some other mail order places. I trust that my plants will thrive from Bluestone.
Positive Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA (Zone 6b)
April 29, 2014
This is my first experience with Bluestone and it was definitely a good experience! They have an amazing selection of plants. All but one of the plants I ordered came in great condition. I called them about that plant and they promptly replaced it for free. Excellent customer service! Also, they have the best packaging I've ever seen. The way they package the plants makes it nearly impossible for them to get damaged. What a great company to buy from!

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]