The scoop on 'Bluestone Perennials'

Bluestone Perennials

Bluestone Perennials has 1149 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Bluestone Perennials is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

7211 Middle Ridge Rd.
Madison, Ohio 44057-3096 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Bluestone Perennials at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Company Comment, posted on August 10, 2011:
We take pride in offering the very best perennial plants. We have 41 years of experience in growing and shipping our plants, and all are backed with our unsurpassed 100% guarantee. Our plants are grown in 3 1/2" square X 4" deep Coco Potsóan ingenious pot made of coconut husk fibers (coir) that are superior to plastic pots in every way. They are biodegradable and can be planted directly in the ground.

Our plants grown in Coco Pots are better because:
~ The pots let plant roots breathe, resulting in a larger and healthier root systems.
~ The robust roots grow healthy, vigorous plants.
~ Larger first-year growth. The 100% natural pots are planted right into the ground, so transplant shock is virtually eliminated.

Check out this video that shows why our new coir pots help us deliver a superior plant:

Bluestone Perennials is a family run company thatís committed to our customers and the environment. Our wonderful staff, outstanding plants and our 100% guarantee ensure your happiness.

**Sign up for our Newsletter to receive special offers and educational releases**

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive garyj59
Sheboygan, WI (Zone 5a)
May 28, 2016
Posted on May 7, 2003, updated May 28, 2016
I received my order today and everything was very well packed.By far the best specimens for the money that I have ever seen by mailorder.The only problem I have is that they backordered part of my order and told me that they will ship it out in the fall.As far as I\'m concerned this is unacceptable for an order placed on 2/25,I think they could have let me know earlier so I could have picked something else.

On May 28th, 2016, garyj59 added the following:

In March 2015 I placed an order and received healthy and well packaged plants. Over the winter I lost only one plant,
an Azalea Bollywood which I received free with a coupon, so I didn't complain. It was the only plant I planted in the coir pot, the rest I sliced the pot off and planted with great success. In May 2016 I placed an order and again received healthy and well packaged plants, I cut the coir pots off and planted them and their doing fine. I'm still not sold on their coir pots, But Bluestone is one of the best mail order companies out there.
Positive Nbeaton59
Richmond, VA
May 20, 2016
I wish there was a choice for Extra supremely positive. My experiences with Bluestone Perrenials have exceeded my expectations several times over every single time. My first order I was apprehensive about what quality plants I would get. So glad there was no need to worry. All the plants were healthy and thrived after planting. I have since placed four other orders and have always been delighted with their products and service. I did have one plant arrive in somewhat poor shape but it was immediately replaced when I called. The woman I spoke to couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I wasn't even sure if I even needed a replacement since I hadn't even planted the plant but she assured me she would send a replacement immediately. This is a fabulous company with high quality and affordable perrenials. I'll be ordering from them regularly.
Positive flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID
May 14, 2016
Posted on May 13, 2016, updated May 14, 2016
Posted on May 8, 2015, updated May 13, 2016
Posted on May 12, 2010, updated May 8, 2015
If I could give a \\\\\\\"positive-plus\\\\\\\" rating to this company, I would. The plants I have received from them are well started, nice and green, in pots with well-developed root systems. So much better than those I\\\\\\\'ve gotten from some other mail-order nurseries. The plants in my Bluestone order are also very good sized. There are a few varieties that I would like to see them include in future catalogs that aren\\\\\\\'t in current ones, but the quality of what I\\\\\\\'ve gotten can\\\\\\\'t be beaten! Bluestone Perennials is a keeper.

On May 8th, 2015, flowermaiden2 added the following:

My experience with Bluestone Perennials continues to be positive.

My large order arrived, today, correct and complete, with healthy, robust plants. The Violas are blooming, and they are lovely.

My only concern is those fiber pots they insist upon sending them in. I have removed those in the past and shall do so, again. They\\\'re supposed to be biodegradable and decompose right inside the planting hole, over time. I fear this will take too long, and the plants will remain rootbound in the meantime. I like to spread out the roots when I plant, so they can have plenty of room in which to grow. It\\\'s really not a lot of trouble to remove those fiber pots -- I just score vertically down each corner and off they come.

Bluestone was very good about letting me add to my order as I found more plants later on that I wanted, so I would only have to pay shipping once.

They\\\'re also very good about keeping me updated on the status of my order.

Good company. I shall continue ordering from them in seasons to come.

On May 13th, 2016, flowermaiden2 added the following:

This season, I ordered two types of coryopsis from them. I was glad to find some taller varieties that bloom yellow instead of reddish shades.

My plants arrived today, and they are bushy, green and well developed. I shall remove them from the fiber pots, however, and plant them directly into the soil, as I have previously done. I feel they have less risk of becoming root bound that way, even though it\'s claimed those pots are \"biodegradable\". Do they break down soon enough to avoid binding the roots? Since I\'m not sure of this, I always take them out.

I love coryopsis because deer don\'t eat them, and that\'s a real plus in my garden, which Bambi has used as a smorgasbord in the past.

Again, Bluestone has come through for me, shipping my order on the date I requested. Very happy with them, as usual.

On May 14th, 2016, flowermaiden2 added the following:

For the benefit of those who might wish to try this lovely perennial, the name of the flowers I ordered is coreopsis, not coryopsis. I misspelled them the first time. Wanted to make the correction here, so folks using their catalog or shopping online will know what to look for should they seek these out.

These are great for gardens with a deer problem, as deer tend to steer clear of them.

I've just planted all of mine, and they look great. A couple even arrived with flower buds on them.

Kudos, again, to Bluestone Perennials.
Negative kadybug
Seattle, WA
May 11, 2016
I spent a good amount of money on some perennials. I followed the instructions but most of the plants died. Such a waste.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2016:
On May 16, 2016 3:43 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

We are sorry to hear about the plants you lost. Please be in touch so that we can reship or refund. Your plants are guaranteed. We also have a Help Desk that could answer any questions you might have about replanting. 800-852-5243

Positive kawand33
Lansing, MI (Zone 5a)
May 5, 2016
I like that Bluestone offers various specials throughout the season and that they will combine orders that have not shipped yet to help save the customer on shipping costs. I ordered a Clematis Sapphire Indigo plant and three Tricyrtis formosana Gilt Edge plants - all of which arrived in excellent condition. They were unable to fulfill my order for Dicentra Burning Heart, which understandably, sometimes happens with live goods, but provided excellent customer service in notifying me and offering to switch that item out with a similar plant or provide a refund. I am very satisfied with the plants I received from this company and would highly recommend them to other gardeners.
Positive DonnaMack
Posted on April 27, 2014, updated April 29, 2015
Posted on April 27, 2013, updated April 27, 2014
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated April 27, 2013
Posted on May 7, 2003, updated June 2, 2012
First, I must thank all of the people who took the time to recommend this great company. Because of the detailed feedback, I confidently ordered, and today received my first order from Bluestone. I purchased 33 plants and the quality is excellent. They are smaller that the plants one would purchase at a nursery, but I would say that they are the same size as the far more expensive White Flower Farm plants. I usually grow my own plants from seed, only buying what I cannot grow, so I am accustomed to robust plants, and these are. And some of the varieties I purchased, such as Heuchera Firefly and Heucherella Bridgett\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Bloom, are usually quite expensive. And the prices! Taking advantage of some specials and 3 for 1 offfers, I paid $98.75 for 33 plants - including shipping - less than $3.00 a plant! Receiving an e-mail and a UPS tracking number was an unexpected plus. Another bonus - did anyone notice that the plants are hardened off when you receive them? They note that they can be exposed to temperatures as low as 26 degrees. What a great company! They are my first stop from now on.
On August 1st, 2003, DonnaMack added the following:

After I printed the above I ordered additional plants from Bluestone, and continue to be impressed. Of the total of 49 plants I put in, 49 took! I put in arabis, a spring blooming plant, and it bloomed in summer, and has spread considerably. The verbena Homestead Purple, Heucherella, Tiarella, and most of the others actually bloomed. Some look like mature plants, blooming with no restraint. I installed all of them in May and June!

I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m working on my fall order. These guys are incredible.
On May 14th, 2007, DonnaMack added the following:

I have ordered annually each year since my above review, and have been pleased with my orders, but my most recent experience with the company was the best thus far. I was having trouble entering coupon codes, so I called and spoke with a wonderful representative who explained to me the numbers on the codes and then offered to take my order over the telephone. This was very much to my advantage, because she (I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'m so sorry I did not get her name) repeatedly brought specials to my attention of which I was unaware. The result was that I received 12 free plants. My order came yesterday and every plant was healthy and viable. I also received a HUGE primula Japonica (much larger than my favorite local nursery) as a replacement for a plant that was mistakenly labeled as such last year. Better yet, I was given a delivery confirmation from Fed Ex, and my plants were delivered as promised on the afternoon of May 12, the day before Motherís Day (what a tough day to keep a delivery commitment!). And our last frost date in zone 5a is May 15. Perfect.

I cannot imagine how this entire transaction could have been better.

On June 2nd, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I had hesitated to purchase from Bluestone this season, given the comments and the higher prices. But they sent me an email about discounted items, and I could not resist trying them again, so I ordered a few plants.

I must say that I was very pleased with the quality of the plants. I found that the roots were somewhat embedded in the coir so I could not remove it, but the fact that they had grown into and in some places through the coir is a good sign.

I also had a free shipping code from three years ago - and they honored it!

I will be back.
On April 27th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I must say that I am very happy with Bluestone this year. I ordered all half price plants in January: 3 Campanula Bellringers, 2 Penstemon digitalis \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Husker Red\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\', a panicum and 2 Fothergilla Mt. Airy shrubs. The plants are just excellent. The qualuty is very high. They are of nice size. I remove the coir immediately because I have trouble cutting it away - and the soil was dry. But the plants are perfect!
On April 27th, 2014, DonnaMack added the following:

I took advantage of Bluestone sales from December on to order quite a few plants. I didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t realize how many until they came a few days ago. I must admit that I consistently cut the plants out of the coir pots. But I actually gasped when my order came. The plants are much bigger than they were a few years ago, and the quality is better than my expensive garden center, which I visited after I received them, in order to buy compost and mulch. I no longer need to hold them for transplanting - they are eye catching.

But what I really love was the ability to pay for each order and have it \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"held\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". So I got pristine fresh, large plants while paying ONE shipping cost for plants ordered in December, January, March and April. It actually allowed me to buy much more than I would have if I had ordered them all at once, and there was a single shipping charge.

I had concerns about Bluestone a little while back, but the quality of the plants, the Friday specials (dangerous) and excellent shipping have made me a believer again.
On April 29th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I received a very nice order from Bluestone. The plants I received were great, as usual. but one item was eliminated from my order, that being athyrium nipponicum \\\\\\\'Ursulas Red\\\\\\\', a very hard to find plant. I was particularly disappointed because it was on special, and after I ordered two the special on this plant continued for several days. So my perception is that they either gave my plants to someone else, or they did not monitor their inventory. They did give me a refund check for the two plants, which I very much appreciated, as well as a coupon for a free plant. The other plant they could not provide, Anemone Alice, was is on backorder, which is fine.

I was able to order the fern from Forest Farm, where I have an open order and was actually able to fill a box so there will be no additional shipping.

I leave my rating as positive because I truly think that they stepped up after this error. A check for the plants, an explanation that Alice is coming in the fall, and a free ground cover plant make my overall experience with Bluestone quite positive.
On May 30th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received and planted three excellent ceratostigma plumbaga (plumbago) that was part of their end of season sale. From the wonderful quality of the plants, you would never know it. True, I always cut away the coir, but doing that only shows me clearly the excellent quality of the plants.
On October 2nd, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I mentioned in my update of April 29 that I had been disappointed that I had not received a athyrium nipponicum \'Ursula\'s Red\' that I had ordered. Bluestone sent me a coupon for one free plant. Talk about disappointment tuning into bliss! I ordered a helleborus \"Rose Quarta\' and I just received it. I couldn\'t be happier. It is a gorgeous plant, and the cost of it is much higher than my original request. Plants like this will keep me coming back year after year!

And I received my anemone Alice a few weeks back. Nice healthy plants that are increasing.

Excellent!
On April 29th, 2016, DonnaMack added the following:

Last year I received a coupon for a free plant from Bluestone, and took the opportunity to order a helleborus. Impressed, I order two more to make it a trio.

Well, I just received enormous ones from Bluestone, for which I only paid half of the regular price. I walked away from plants in my garden center that were the same size but cost 3 times as much.

They have truly won my respect over these last few years. I still ditch the coir - but wow, what plants!
Positive ctgrower
Stratford, CT
April 27, 2016
Posted on May 8, 2009, updated April 27, 2016
Have ordered many times from this wonderful nursery. Whether you are a novice or master gardener, looking for staples or the very unusual, you will find it here. Everything is healthy and ready to grow, grow, grow! A very positive and worthwhile experience.
On April 27th, 2016, ctgrower added the following:

Contacted Bluestone about a plant I ordered last Autumn which didn't make it, and they are sending me a replacement. Don't know of any other place that delivers what they promise: 100% Guaranteed Satisfaction. Also received a new order a few days ago, and each plant was healthy and well-rooted. Can see new growth already and can't wait to see them in bloom. The "Dark Stockings" daylily had FOUR fans! Love this place! Great plants, amazing selection, and superb customer service.
Positive camicalm
New York City, NY
April 19, 2016
I purchased several perennials this year for urban container gardening from Bluestone Perennials, including a hosta, some hydrangeas, a heuchera, and some Lysimachia Aurea. I placed the order in March; they shipped in April when the danger of frost was mostly past, and they emailed me when the order had shipped. The package arrived promptly; the plants were excellently packed and in great condition. Other than the heuchera (which is looking much less healthy than when it arrived), they are all thriving. Will order again.
Company representative comment on April 19, 2016:
On Apr 19, 2016 3:39 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

Thanks camicalm! Let us know if the Heuchera continues to decline - your plants are guaranteed.

Positive ricknancydill
Oneonta, AL
March 3, 2016
I've ordered from a lot of catalogs and I must admit that Bluestone tops them all. The plants were in wonderful condition; they were exactly what I ordered; they came with good instructions; and the pots they arrived in are really ideal. I just had to share this information with others who, like me, have had many less than satisfactory experiences with mail-order plants!
Positive Illinigardener
Port Byron, IL (Zone 5a)
February 21, 2016
Posted on January 13, 2016, updated February 21, 2016
Posted on May 25, 2003, updated January 13, 2016
I\\\'m adding to the positive comments already listed. Great service, good quality(but small plants) and reasonable prices. And they take care in shipping so plants arrive in good shape. Good company to deal with.
On January 13th, 2016, Illinigardener changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I finally have to update my old comments.
I\'ve ordered from Bluestone for many years. But this is NOT the Bluestone of old.
Several years ago they changed from 3 pack ordering. The plant sizes didn\'t change but the prices tripled. I continued to order from them to get varieties I couldn\'t get locally. But increasingly I\'m finding more selection locally. For example last year I ordered Echinacea PowWow(3 at $37.50). Later I found the same plants locally that were 3 times larger and $2/plant less!!
I also ordered 2 Daphne shrubs. What I got were plants which were a stem w/2 leaves. One died within a month. I didn\'t bother to complain because what\'s the point of getting another 2 leave-4\" high plant!! The other survived but I don\'t think I\'ll live long enough to see it grow to 2\' high. White Flower Farm and Klehm\'s are expensive with high shipping costs but at least from them you get a shrub that is more than a twig in a 2\" pot.
Sorry Bluestone, you have slipped in price and quality and no longer deserve my business...
On February 21st, 2016, Illinigardener changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Bluestone contacted me, apologized for the poor quality Daphne shrubs, and reimbursed me for their cost.
I appreciate their good customer service.
I will continue to use them for perennial varieties that I can't find locally.
However, I don't believe I will order any shrubs from them in the future.
Company representative comment on January 18, 2016:
On Jan 18, 2016 12:14 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

Hello, Illinigardener! I am sorry to hear you were disappointed in your latest shipment. Last spring's extended periods of rain and lack of sun presented some unexpected challenges for all mid-west gardeners, but especially for us on a commercial scale. From your description, the Daphne never should have been shipped, and we apologize that it was. It does not sound from your post that you allowed us to reship (at no charge to you, of course) so I will contact you via Dmail to offer to replace from our new crop or refund. I would like to clarify that all of our material is now in a 3 1/2" square x 4" deep pot, where 5 years ago, we were in a 2 1/2" square x 3" deep. The results are a plant 2-3 times the size of our older material. I hope you will give us the chance to prove that to you this spring!

Positive Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI (Zone 6a)
February 4, 2016
My review is actually Very Positive, I've been purchasing from Bluestone Perennials for many years. On a couple of occasions I've lost plants via they hadn't come up the following year.

This company totally stands behind their product, I just asked for a discount to replace a couple of plants ordered two years prior. They ordered me replacements for both...happily. I could feel the smiling face through the phone.

Yes I consider the plants on the small side and would rather that than a large root bound specimen I'd have to pay more for shipping. I really appreciate ordering from a company that grows things I like and my garden benefits from much diversity I couldn't find anywhere else.

Look for their coupons and deals and incentives, they usually have something going on.

Thanks Bluestone Perennials for being an awesome Company!
Positive NJIrisGuy
Toms River, NJ (Zone 7a)
January 15, 2016
I have ordered from Bluestone Perennials for quite a few years. Last year I ordered 9 Creeping Phlox that have all done very well. This year I have ordered 3 Clematis. I have never had a problem with Bluestone Perennials. The only issue I have is with their use of Fiber Pots. These pots are not biodegradeable, and do not disintegrate. I end up cutting the plants out of these pots prior to planting. I really wish they would not use these pots. They are unattractive in the garden.
Positive Jadwin59
Rochester, NY (Zone 6a)
November 17, 2015
I ordered about $800 worth of perennials, annuals, and bulbs from Bluestone this season. We were landscaping a half-acre garden and I decided to mail-order hard-to-find plants and cultivars. I am an experienced gardener who's mail-ordered plants many times before, sometimes with mixed or negative results.

My experience with all five orders from Bluestone was extremely positive. Plants were in good health, well-packaged and as ordered in all cases. I'm not crazy about the coco coir pots they ship in - I strip them off rather than plant them in directly - but I have found other uses for the coco matting, which works particularly well as a pot-liner for container perennials and for orchids.

All of the shipped plants arrived in good condition and transplanted well, with the exception of Nepeta "little trudy," which failed, probably because we had a very humid and wet summer here in Z6b. My three cats demanded a replacement since they were practically chewing the dead bits to pieces. I notified Bluestone and they shipped replacements promptly, no questions asked. Communication with them via email was prompt and reassuring.

I believe Bluestone shipped using USPS second-day mail, which meant that my plants arrived very quickly. That was very satisfying, as sometimes it's hard to wait around for weeks until your plants arrive. YMMV; I live in Rochester, NY.

They have a great selection of hard to find cultivars. They also have good sales where you can pick up desirable plants and bulbs pretty inexpensively. I will shop with them again, next time I need plants I can't source locally.
Positive Shaken
Scottdale, PA
October 15, 2015
I placed an order for about 10 shade perennials and they were at my front door 3 days later. Most of the plants were on sale and the prices were competitive with what I saw on other online retailers. They were packaged very well and all the plants look very healthy. Would recommend Bluestone 100%
Neutral ellenfoster
Hinesburg, VT
September 20, 2015
plants arrived well packaged and the daylilies I ordered were in good order. The blue grass samples were small, although, because of their pots, I could see that they had not just been re-potted into a larger pot, as some nurseries do. Each time I order from them, about every year or so, I find that the plants I order are smaller than I expected.
Positive glasstoad
Omaha, NE
September 16, 2015
Today I received my shipment of Centaurea and these plants are very large and healthy. The packing again is excellent. I've dealt with them for a number of years and have been very pleased with their product and services.
Neutral enviroplanter
Spring House, PA
July 28, 2015
Posted on May 26, 2015, updated July 28, 2015
Posted on May 14, 2010, updated May 26, 2015
A plant I ordered this year was shipped via UPS on a Friday, so it sat in a hot UPS truck over the weekend and took 4 days to arrive instead of the normal 2. Needless to say, it did not survive. To their credit, they sent a replacement plant and said they would issue a refund (which I haven\\\'t seen yet). Also, their idea of packing is to stick the pot (soil uncovered and unwrapped) in a box and then fill the box with plastic peanuts (not environmentally friendly)--not the best way to insure healthy arrival.
On May 26th, 2015, enviroplanter changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I ordered from them again this year and was very pleasantly surprised. The plants arrived in great shape (their packing is minimal and truly ingenious), and the biodegradable pots make planting very easy. All plants have survived and are doing well. Definitely the place to go for perennials.
On July 28th, 2015, enviroplanter changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I'm not so sure now about the coir pots. I had occasion to dig up some of their plants that I planted earlier this year; in some cases the roots had developed well through the pot, but in others (same variety in the same location) there was practically no root development.
Positive BeaGardener
Lexington, MA
July 9, 2015
I ordered 3 pink agastache plants ("Raspberry Summer"). Plants arrived in great condition, except they were not what I ordered. They had the correct tags in the pots, but they were purple--not even close to pink! I called right away and Bluestone Customer Service took great care of me. I got replacements within 2 days and the plants are doing great! I would definitely order from them again.
Positive sierra77
Cedar Valley, OK (Zone 6b)
July 8, 2015
I ordered several plants from Bluestone Perennials this spring. All arrived quickly and were in great shape except for one. It was in its last death throes. I contacted customer service and explained the situation. They offered me credit or a replacement plant. The plant I had ordered was out of stock so I chose a different type of plant. Bluestone sent it Priority Mail and I received it in two days! Very nice, healthy plant, at no charge! You can't ask for more than that. I think they try very hard to live up to expectations but mistakes are always going to happen. I am very pleased with their service.
Positive Gumneckdg
Richmond, VA
June 27, 2015
My past orders from Bluestone have included many perennials and more recently shrubs - abelia, variegated boxwood and false cypress. The shrubs arrived small and I kept in pots for a while, burying the pots in the ground over the winter. All the plants are now in the ground and thriving. This is a good company that I enjoy doing business with. I also like the fact that they keep past orders online in your account info. Helps me every time I forget whether that hydrangea I ordered is a pink diamond or quick fire hydrangea or what.
Positive SpringPeeper
Willows, CA
June 12, 2015
FedEx lost my package and I contacted Bluestone Perennials for some info FedEx wanted for the claim. Bluestone, without being asked (since it was not their fault) reshipped the order, and the plants arrived healthy and lovely looking. I was surprised by how proactive they were with customer service. I will definitely be looking at Bluestone when making future gardening plans.
Positive homeharvester
Canfield, OH
June 11, 2015
Huge pat on the back for this company; order was shipped when promised but I was unable to get the package open until 7 days later. One plant was a little wilted (it is resting in my shaded nursery area and already doing better), everything else is fine, root balls are still hydrated. Great job. I'm not crazy about their pots; I've found that the rim needs to be cut off, otherwise, the pots wick the water away from the plant after it is in the ground. Small price to pay for excellent plants and service.
Positive edgar2975
San Jose, CA
June 7, 2015
I ordered two Clematis Rebecca, and Rosemoor. Plants arrived in excellent condition and delivery was on schedule. I will most likely order from Bluestone again.
Positive coriaceous
ROSLINDALE, MA
June 5, 2015
Posted on February 1, 2014, updated June 5, 2015
I\'ve ordered from Bluestone at least three times over the years. Communication was excellent, I received exactly what I ordered when I expected it, and the plants were well packed.
Customer service was excellent. I wouldn\'t hesitate to recommend this nursery to anyone.

My only quibble with this nursery is their use of coir pots. I\'ve long found that the only way to get a plant in a coir pot to survive in the ground is to rip it out of the pot before planting, not an easy task.

On June 5th, 2015, coriaceous added the following:

I ordered again this year. I stand by what I said. However, Bluestone's prices and shipping charges have been growing. When I first ordered from them, both were much more economical than any other online nursery. Now they are significantly pricier than average.
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
May 30, 2015
We used to order all the time when they sold the 3-pack of small plants for a very reasonable price. Then we stopped for a few years and meanwhile they changed to the coir and the higher prices, so we didn't use them although they do have nice stuff. This year we sent in 2 orders and both were great with nice plants arriving quickly and in good health. But we do cut away the coir, which seems like kind of a waste. The plants are too expensive, however, to take a chance with it.
Positive MNWildRose
Winona, MN
May 30, 2015
I recently put in an order with Bluestone Perennials and was emailed written confirmation for "Spring" shipment of all plants. When received I was very disappointed to find two of the plants missing, "back-ordered" until fall. And yet more unhappy to find that my credit card had been charged for the entire order.

So I immediately contacted Bluestone Perennials, telling them of my dissatisfaction about how my order was handled. Pat in Customer Service was very responsive to my communication about this.

Bluestone graciously offered a generous replacement of plants to "make things right." These plants just arrived and look healthy. Because of this good customer service I look forward to future purchases from Bluestone Perennials.
Positive narina77
Blairstown, NJ
May 29, 2015
Everything was in good condition except for two plants which they replaced immediately no questions asked. And one perked up eventually after a few weeks. I ordered again because I was pleased with them. When they put things on clearance they really sell cheap and the plants are perfect. I am a very satisfied customer. They also shipped fast, packaged well and returned emails quickly. Also had a plant online for free, which I added to my order and those free plants were also in excellent condition!
Positive shisomadness
New York City, NY
May 29, 2015
I took advantage of their sale prices and got some clematis and hellebores and asters at great prices, especially given how the plants are thriving. Will order more for sure.
Positive javaqueen
Glens Falls, NY
May 18, 2015
I received another order from Bluestone this week and all the plants look great. Larger than expected and full. I got astilbe, echinops, calycanthus and agastache.
My only disappoinment is that I can never seem to get the specialty coneflowers. I order them in the winter and then when shipping time arrives, they are either back ordered or I get a refund. Other than that, I have been very happy with service and quality.
Positive Canarykeeper
Menlo, IA
May 15, 2015
I have purchased several plants from this company over the years. Only a few plants have died, which this company immediately replaced with no expense to me. How many nurseries will do that? And they did not require me to mail my dead specimens back or pay for shipping costs. Any they did not demand photo evidence. I love this company. They are honorable people who respect their customers.
Negative nw6b
Moorestown, NJ
May 13, 2015
I ordered from Bluestone Perennials (BP) last fall on the basis of the overwhelming positive feedback on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, my experience did not live up to the hype. I order a variety of perennials and all have been disappointments. I won't be ordering from BP again.

I ordered irises, phlox, shasta daisies, baptisia, mums, and a peony, all of which I planted last fall. At the same time, I planted other perennials (different varieties of the same plants) purchased from another online retailer and a local garden center. Whereas the other plants are thriving, none of the plants from BP are doing well.

The irises seem to have survived, but they are so thin and weak, they are hardly distinguishable from blades of grass. The phlox and daisies have yet to show any growth. The peonies from Adelmans have each sent up 3 or 4 stems, all of which are about 2' tall already and are forming small buds, but the peony from BP hasn't sent up a single shoot. If I hadn't put a stake in the ground where I planted it, you wouldn't know there is a peony root there.

I don't enjoy writing negative reviews, but it is well earned.
Company representative comment on May 27, 2015:
On May 27, 2015 3:08 PM, Bluestone Perennials responded with:

I hope you will be in touch so that we can make things right for you. Your purchases are guaranteed and we can reship or refund per your wishes. I apologize that the new plants struggled to do well over the winter.

Positive LucasCatChow
Tulsa, OK
April 23, 2015
Posted on May 27, 2013, updated April 23, 2015
I had been reading some negative reviews on Bluestone last year which was surprising as I\'ve been dealing with them for decades with no problems. I think the majority of complaints revolved around their new coir pot method of sending/growing plants. I was a little nervous to see what my order would look like using this \"new\" system, but in my case at least, they did a fine job. The quality of the plants was good, and after peeling off the coir wrapper, I plopped the well rooted plants in the ground once the weather warmed up. Thumbs Up from me.
On April 23rd, 2015, LucasCatChow added the following:

I just received my order for spring, and I think this is the best order ever. Every plant looks green, full and well rooted. No problem with the packaging either. I've been ordering the same plants from them for many years, and it seems they have hit a high water mark this year in particular.
Positive DaisyPeach
(Zone 7a)
April 21, 2015
Posted on April 11, 2004, updated April 21, 2015
This company has the best deal if you need several plants and don\'t have a lot of money to spend. They don\'t always have all the latest varieties but what they do carry is pretty amazing considering the price. I received a giant box of perennials from Bluestone a few days ago and was once again impressed with the quality of their plants. Everything was healthy, labeled and packed properly. Hats off to an outstanding mail order nursery!
On April 21st, 2015, DaisyPeach added the following:

I think this is the year I was most impressed with Bluestone. Opening my mail order box was like opening a box of Spring! Really. Perfectly packed, fully leafed out plants in perfect condition with no breakage at all, when does that ever happen?
Thumbs up Bluestone!
Neutral woof12
Philadelphia, PA
January 2, 2015
Posted on December 14, 2012, updated January 2, 2015
Posted on April 26, 2011, updated December 14, 2012
Posted on April 28, 2006, updated April 26, 2011
They used to be better. I\'ve gotten stuff from them for years and the last two have been the worst. It used to be buy 2 get 1 free. Then it was changed from that to 25%.and this year it\'s 20%. On top of that that the plants they sent last spring were all out of their pots & everthing was all over & dried out. They sent replacements but this year the same thing happened. dried out plants out of their pots & dirt all over. On top of that the replacements that they sent were even worse. The replacements were in worse condition that the original ones this spring. I\'m waiting to see if I\'ll get a refund for all this trouble as I was told, but Bluestone\'s not as reliable as they used to be.
On May 4th, 2006, woof12 added the following:

On May 2nd. Bluestone replied to this rating & my comment of April 28th., but for now I\'m keeping it as is. I\'ve contacted the company and now I\'m just waiting for the refund. But I still don\'t see it as being the carrier\'s fault as they suggested. I\'ve gotten other plants thru various mail order places & never had problems like these. I still think Bluestone has a problem with the way their plants are packed and shipped. The plants arrived totally bone dry & all over the carton out of their pots. That\'s not the carrier. That\'s how they were probably packed up in shipping.
On May 9th, 2006, woof12 added the following:

The refund from Bluestone finally came thru but I I still stand with the original rating & I see I\'m not the only one with this problem. Also, since Bluestone will see this it would be nice if they did something about their shipping & handling department. There\'s no excuse for what happened!
On April 25th, 2007, woof12 added the following:

Geez! Another so-so order. A few plants were okay but some were too small and got weighed down by all those stupid peanuts. One was so small it shouldn\'t been shipped, at least not yet & not at those prices. Also, some of the plant pots/cells were broken. in shipping.
On April 26th, 2011, woof12 added the following:

Another loser of an order. Out of everything ordered ony 3 plants were any good. The rest were either dead or dried up. They replaced the dead & dried up ones, but some replacements had the same problem.
On December 14th, 2012, woof12 added the following:

Just got their spring 2013 catalog & don\'t like anything about the new system they have forsing their catalog. now they sell just one plant in a plantable pot for double what the old way cost. I still think the old way was better.
On January 2nd, 2015, woof12 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Whatever happened to the old Bluestone? Their spring 2015 catalog just came & they've pulled the discount code from it. First it was 20%, then 15%, & last year it was 10%. Now there's no discount code.
Company representative comment on April 28, 2011:

On May 2, 2006 3:09 PM, Bluestone Perennials added:

Bluestone here: Sorry to hear that your order is not surviving transit. If once carrier is more gentle in your area than another, we can assign a method of shipping to your order of your choice. We can't tell who you are from this site, but we hope you have contacted us directly for a full refund. Our apologies.

On Apr 28, 2011 10:25 AM, Bluestone Perennials added:

We are glad that you have been in touch regarding a refund on your order, as this is always an option with our 100% guarantee. We are as disappointed as you are that your plants arrived in poor condition.

Positive blumenlieber
vancouver, WA (Zone 8a)
October 26, 2014
Posted on November 10, 2004, updated October 26, 2014
Took advantage of the 50% off bulb special. First time customer. I received a prompt email letting me know one type bulb no longer available; on delivery received an order slip with a handwritten apology that a few others were out of stock (expected this at the tail end of the season)--impeccable communication! Delivery within a week. Orderly packaging, all labeled, large and healthy specimens. I coudn\'t be happier with such a caring attitude, and extra bulbs were thrown in to boot. I am already planning on what to order for spring with the great coupons I received. Thanks Bluestone!
On November 2nd, 2005, blumenlieber added the following:

again, another great experience. This time I ordered bulbs and also ordered live plants, which arrived looking healthy and incredibly packaged so barely a leaf was out of place. I am glad to do business with Bluestone.
On October 26th, 2014, blumenlieber added the following:

I have not ordered from Bluestone in quite awhile, because I simply ran out of gardening space. Bluestone plants are the best--THE BEST. I could go to a big box store and get gallons cheaper but why would I want to fill my garden with what everybody and their state highway department has? I still have Bluestone plantings from years ago--monarda, phlox, echinacea, aster, etc.: It's obvious Bluestone cares for their plants properly. Most garden centers are more focused on selling over-priced containers and outdoor furniture than selling healthy plants and maintaining wide plant selections. And big box stores? Most the time I want to grab a hose and water the poor dying few varieties they carry because nobody else will. I now received a fall order (took less than a week) and don't get all the negativity about the fiber pots--plants look fabulous! I typically remove plants from whatever container they come in before planting, coir plastic peat whatever, and compost the pots or re-use them for my seed-started plants. The packaging for my order was wonderfully done--nothing out of place, plenty of space. I, too, remember the "3 or 6 for $" days, but those plants were much smaller plugs and, quite frankly, I could divide what i just received into more than 3 plugs each. THANK YOU BLUESTONE! got a bigger garden so I'll be back!
Positive trekman1
EAST SPRINGFIELD, PA
October 15, 2014
Outstanding experience! Our best friends and business partners visited Bluestone with us last week. Tony was there and was extremely helpful and courteous. They were out of some fancy peonies for the fall and I happened to "wander" into an area and found some. Tony sold us four of the bags! On our way out, he gave us a nice tour of their operation! He even let us have some empty bulb boxes to store my bulbs in!

We will definitely be ordering from this company again, either in person or via catalog, or both! Thanks!

Oh, and he recommended a restaurant for us to visit and have lunch! We did and the food was good.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
September 26, 2014
Posted on May 26, 2014, updated September 26, 2014
Posted on September 28, 2011, updated May 26, 2014
Posted on September 8, 2011, updated September 28, 2011
Posted on May 2, 2010, updated September 8, 2011
i already rated this company positive under just plantgnome, but I wanted to rate again-This years purchases came in much larger than the past couple of years orders-great plants, all are thriving and they even replaced a couple of plants that didn\'t make it thru our harsh winter. I highly recommend this company for both value, plant health and customer service. AAAAAA++++++
On September 8th, 2011, plantgnome1 added the following:

I still feel this company is one of the top perennial online nurseries-I am however unpleasantly surprised at how the \"3 for $\" is now single plants for what appears to be alot more money per plant. for instance 3 starfire tall phlox I believe was about $15.00 and now they are each about $9.00-(can\'t check for exact amount as their site is down right now) which is a huge pricing increase. Shipping costs remain reasonable as opposed to other companies exorbitant shipping costs. Perhaps because they raised their plant prices to absorb the shipping costs. I am anxiously awaiting several orders in their \"new\" packaging and hope I do not have the problems listed recently here at garden watchdog. As per other reviewers I have created numerous different gardens in my yard with Bluestone plants and i would say 95% of them survived pretty nasty weather including late spring freezes, and Tropical Storm Irene recently. Having lost my job 2 years ago my ordering is not what it used to be, but they are one of two companies I still give most of my orders to. Keeping my fingers crossed.
On September 28th, 2011, plantgnome1 added the following:

I received my sizable order in a timely fashion, as I always did from them. two of the packages were shipped fed ex ground-Those arrived in perfect condition- all plants a nice size and no packing peanuts-thank the lord. the third box some reason was shipped UPS-that one came with the plants in the box but not in their pots-soil all over the place. I promptly filled the coco pots with more soil and put the plants back in them as they looked okay, not dried out. I soaked the repotted plants overnight in a pan of water with a few drops of Miracle Grow starter. Planted them the next day and they appear okay. I am keeping a close eye on them. I like the new pots-of which most of the plants roots were already showing thru the sides and bottom of the pot. I feel this protects them thru the winter freezes. Two plants which I expected were not shipped due to a crop failure but to make up for this they are sending a free plant of my choice! Also adding plants to an order which was almost ready to ship at the last minute. I am still very happy with bluestone (other than the huge price hike).
So-I think alot of the issues people have regarding the condition upon arrival of their plants has more to do with the shipping company (UPS) than the packaging. I rather have my orders shipped Fed-ex-as they come intact. The other issue-pricing-the other companies are charging ridiculous shipping amounts for minimal orders, but their plants are cheaper-one way or another you are paying. For instance up to a $25 order is 7.95 shipping with bluestone. Other companies-every plant you add raises the shipping charges and start at 7.50 for just 1 5.00 plant and rises as you add more plants especially during sales. So really its 6 of one half a dozen of another-thats the way online plant companies work. I rarely order plants from companies with a minimum order requirement either as I feel thats not a really good business practice. Some companies charge almost $20.00 to ship one plant-thats pretty much price gouging unless they are sending a gardener with the plant to dig the holes. LOL
Finally-I will still purchase from Bluestone and a few other reputable companies and have removed about 5 top watchdog companies from my previous list as they not only overcharge for plants but to add insult to injury and also overcharge for shipping or have minimum requirements.
Lastly-Companies are in business to make money so use your common sense when choosing one.
On May 26th, 2014, plantgnome1 added the following:

Still getting nice plants, I take them out of the those \"coir\" pots as I lost several plants that I planted in the ground still in those pots. The ones I removed from the pots did much better and came thru this awful winter.
This year their sale is not the great sale that they have had in previous years. They are not all half price as they used to be. Some only 25% off, some 35% and some 50%. So my orders are not the size as they used to be either. In the past I have gotten fantastic priced Hosta etc. This year not the case. So I only ordered 1. I waited for the old sales every year, very disappointed this year.
On September 26th, 2014, plantgnome1 added the following:

Received my fall order of bulbs and I had used a coupon code for a surprise bag of bulbs, which by the way are the same "surprise" as last fall, Allium nectaroscordum which are apparently on sale for under $4 for 3 bulbs. I guess in the future if I order bulbs again I will not be "surprised" much with the bonus bulbs. Order also included replacement plants of Gaillardia golden goblin, originals which did not appear to be "goblins" as they grew to 3 feet tall, not the 1 foot plant as advertised. Thank you for the replacements.
I NEVER plant my orders with those coir pots-they cause root rot in my opinion. If I can remove the plants without cutting up the coir pots, I reuse the pots for seed starting.
I don't order half the amount of plants from BP as I used to because of their constantly rising prices, lack of those helpful huge sheets of coupons I used to get and their disappointing spring and fall sales. The shrubs (hydrangea, cornus, false cypress, weigela etc) that arrive are miniscule and at my age, I hope I get see them grow to near full size LOL.
I did find the $5 off thank you codes useful tho and did use them for the limited time they were offered.
Positive joandud
White Lake, MI
August 18, 2014
I have ordered from Bluestone for several years and have usually been pleased with the plants and certainly with the customer service. I agree with others that I preferred the 3 plant format, and I don't think the plants now offered are larger than before. I definitely do NOT like the coir pots! It's a pain to cut the rims down so they don't stick out of the ground (and, yes, I do mulch) and wick moisture. Yanking them out of those pots causes trauma to the plants. Since plastic pots are recyclable I see no reason not to use them. As did a previous reviewer, I have lost viola Etian two years in a row. Additionally, the Tomato Soup echinacea, which was replaced by BP once, didn't make it. All of this being said, I like the company, their plant choices and their customer service. A gift certificate from them is always on my birthday wish list.
Positive Gracesmom
GREAT VALLEY, NY
July 5, 2014
I ordered 18 plants from this company this past spring. They arrived within 2 days from ordering. The plants were very well packaged. A couple of the plants looked a little sad on arrival. I watered everything well, then removed the pots they were sent in and planted. Everything is growing fine and several have already begun to flower, even the one I though for sure would die is up and doing well. I'll be a repeat customer.
Positive Jay11
Cambridge, MA
June 11, 2014
I have ordered various perennials that are not available at big box stores from Bluestone over the years and never been disappointed. This year I was especially pleased with the packaging. The plants arrived very fresh looking encased in cardboard boxing, all recyclable. I removed the "coir" pots and used the coir for other purposes in my gardening. The plants are thriving in my garden. I found the prices very reasonable and will certainly order again from Bluestone.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.