The scoop on 'Roots and Rhizomes'

Roots and Rhizomes

PO Box A
Randolph, Wisconsin 53956-0118 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-374-5035
Fax: 1-800-374-6120
Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

This company is affiliated with Jung Seed

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative mikkim47
Byron, IL
July 14, 2014
THIS IS THE THIRD TIME I HAVE ORDERED DAYLILIES FROM R/R. THE FIRST TIME WAS SHAMROCK DOUBLE GRAPE. IT TOOK THE SECOND YEAR BEFORE THEY BLOOMED. THEY WERE ALL FAIRY TALE PINK. THEY WANTED PICTURES SENT TO THEM BEFORE THEY WOULD REPLACE THEM. THEY DID SEND REPLACEMENTS, WHICH TOOK ANOTHER TWO SEASONS TO BLOOM AND HALF OF THEM WERE WRONG AGAIN. THEY GAVE SOME EXCUSE ABOUT THE WRONG ROW BEING DUG. NO REFUND! I THOUGHT I'D TRY ONE MORE TIME AND ORDERED 6 VOODOO DANCER. LAST YEAR. AGAIN THEY DIDN'T BLOOM UNTIL THIS SUMMER AND ARE NOT VOODOO DANCER...THEY ARE NIGHT EMBERS! THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO GIVE REFUNDS INSTEAD OF REPLACING THE WRONG ITEMS OVER AND OVER. I AM IN BUSINESS, ALSO, AND GUARANTEE MY CUSTOMERS THE CORRECT, HEALTHY PLANT OR THEIR MONEY BACK. I WILL NEVER ORDER FROM THEM AGAIN. MARIETTA GARDENS IS ONE OF THE BEST DAYLILY GROWERS AROUND...I'LL ORDER FROM THEM!
Negative dparker
Salt Lake City, UT
June 3, 2014
I was excited to order some hard-to-find delphinium for spring planting. The plants were advertised as well developed arriving in 3" pots. When the plants arrived this spring, they were nearly dead. The "protective" packaging was nothing more than butcher paper wrapped around barley living plants. While the plants did arrive in 3" pots, the roots were non-existent. I was able to nurse a few back to life, but here it is June, and we have just a few leaves on the plants. There were three that I simply could not revive. The company did send me three new plants, but the arrived in the same, nearly dead fashion. I will never order from this company again. For the price paid for these poor little guys, I could have paid $1 or $2 more and purchased living, thriving plants.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 17, 2014
Posted on May 18, 2013, updated May 17, 2014
Posted on May 6, 2012, updated May 18, 2013
I ordered three coreopsis , two achillea and a daylily.
The daylily and achillia were good sized bare root plants.
One coreopsis was on the small size and a little pale looking.
The others were in good shape and the size described.
Overall good plants.

On May 18th, 2013, bryana added the following:

I placed a large (over 125 dollar) order - most of the plants were in very good condition. They ran out of one penstemon and one plant is on back order. A couple of the plants were quite small but they are healthy and growing. I was pleased with the majority of the order.
On May 17th, 2014, bryana added the following:

I ordered 2 Phlox, Delphinium New Millennium, Agastache Collection, Solanna Golden Ball Coreopsis, 2 Primula, 2 Echinacea Collection , 2 siberian iris,
Songbird Cardinal Aquilegia , Solanna Golden Sphere Coreopsis , Nemo Astilbe , Gaudi Red Gaura , R&R Touch Of Eternity Daylily .

The plants were good overall, one Delphinium was missing but one call and it was quickly shipped. The other Delphinium were a little damaged in shipping but recovering.
Positive z4aSuperior
Oliver, WI
May 4, 2014
I came upon Roots and Rhizomes reviews here after I mailed in my order. I was nervous upon seeing all the negative reviews, but my bare root daylilies arrived healthy along with two heucheras and a hosta. All live plants were of good size with moist soil and good root systems. The daylily roots were packed in sealed plastic bags with air holes and moist soil around them. The daylilies had little green shoots at the crown ready to grow. I planted them yesterday following the directions in the more than adequate growing guide papers that were enclosed in the box.The arrival of the plants were timely and came on the same day as a delivery from another plant company. There is one variety of daylily on backorder.The packaging wasn't bad...the plants stayed in place during shipping. However, if R&R were to go the more eco-friendly route, BlueStone Perennials has them beat in that department. On a final note, the prices were very good and love the daylily selection. I would risk ordering from this company again. Hope things keep improving!
Positive valleygardens
Fairfax, VA
April 17, 2014
I ordered 6 Achillea, 6 Asclepias, and 2 hardy geraniums. I tend not to order bareroot items very much, due to having received a worthless dried-out order from another company once, but these were large and vigorous and started sprouting immediately. One of the geraniums in particular was so large that it could have been separated into 3 separate plants had I wanted to, each with at least one growing eye.
I also ordered from them last year, and the order was complete and accurate, and the iris roots in good shape.
Very satisfied.
Negative bobschatan
Lincoln City, OR (Zone 8b)
April 5, 2014
It's rare that I comment negatively on a private business because I really want them to succeed. In this case the quality of the plants sent was so poor in the way they were packed that it deserves comment. The telephone service was good and the delivery was timely, no problems there. However I recently ordered a Heuchera and it arrived dry as dust, soil and plant falling out of the 3" pot dead. Their packing was simply using brown craft paper and dropping the little potted plant into it, not even bothering to wet the plant since the paper itself showed no moisture marking. They also include a couple air packs and a sample box of Allegra in each box (!). So I called and the phone lady kindly agreed to send a replacement which came in exactly the same condition and packing style. The previous plant died and I'm hoping this one survives but this is ridiculous. They are much less expensive than many competitors but the quality difference is so great that I'd hesitate to order from them again. A competitor that's improved a great deal in their packing and shipping is Hirt's which is cheap and the plant I recently received was moist, pot wrapped in plastic, box filled with Styrofoam. Advice to this company that I'd like to see successfully compete in the marketplace: take a look at how your competition is packing their plants and come up to that standard. The current way you pack live plants is lousy and the Allegra for allergies is bizarre to say the least.
Negative hardyinokc
Oklahoma City, OK
May 22, 2013
Posted on June 18, 2012, updated May 22, 2013
I ordered 4 sedums from R&R. 1 sedum arrived in really good condition - lots of leaves and roots; 2 arrived as VERY small root cuttings but were alive and growing; the 4th sedum arrived with no leaves and soft, blackened stems (the root ball was soppy wet). contacted R&R about a replacement plant & was informed that shipping was finished for the season & they will send me a letter with store credit to be used next spring. guess we'll see how they do when it comes to using the credit next spring.
On May 22nd, 2013, hardyinokc changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

debated this spring about whether or not to use my store credit...would have been nice if they had just issued a refund because I'm very hesitant to order from a company with so many negative feedbacks...do not want the headache & hassle of receiving another order of less than healthy plants & then having them issue another store credit...guess I'll just let them keep my money, & I'll just never order from R&R again...lesson learned...will take my business elsewhere
Negative lanakila
Holly Springs, NC (Zone 7b)
May 22, 2013
My fault; I didn't check Garden Watchdog. It has been several years since I ordered from this company. I was always very happy with the service and the quality of the plants. Not any more. It is very sad to see that they both have gone down to the point that I felt compelled to write a poor review. I ordered six echis. I received four, with a notice that the other two were on backorder. Of the four I received, two were dead on arrival. I contacted R&R and they shipped out replacements. When I asked about the timeframe for the two plants on backorder, they said that they had cancelled that order. Woulda been nice to know that! The other two plants from the original shipment died despite nursing. They were just too weak to survive. I didn't request a replacement for these because I didn't want the hassle. When the first replacements came, they looked just as weak; few leaves, soil so dry and loose that the plants weren't even in the pots. If even one plant of the six I received manages to make it, it will be a miracle. Spend your money elsewhere.
Positive gringo
Hampton, VA
October 19, 2012
I'm really pleased, as the plants were carefully packed & arrived without any damage whatsoever. They all appear to be quite healthy & all were well grown. Thanks to the growers & staff at Roots & Rhizomes for such a nice order. The quality exceeded my expectations! The only reason to even possibly ever decrease my rating, would be if the plants don't flower, true to name, but I fully expect they are exactly what I ordered.
Negative jrdgo52
Durango, CO
September 3, 2012
I ENJOY THE SELECTION THEY OFFER. THE PLANTS WERE SENT FROM DIFFERENT LOCATIONS (I THINK). SOME PLANTS NEEDED A LOT OF R & R BEFORE PLANTING. ONE WAS THE WRONG PLANT AND SOME NEEDED REPLACEMENT (WHICH THE COMPANY DID IN A TIMELY FASHION). NOT BATTING 100 FOR SURE.
Positive rebecca101
Madison, WI (Zone 5a)
May 6, 2012
I ordered some Siberian iris and a few perennials from them this year. The plants were relatively small but so far seem to be growing nicely. They were packaged well. Some other places send larger plants, but I would order from these guys again if they had something I really wanted.
Neutral Greytluv
Fairport, NY
April 27, 2012
Can't agree more with the comment given about the downfall of these nurseries once JUNG, Burpees & Parks etc. purchase them. Once they take over we suffer! Boycott them until they realize the harm they're doing!
Negative reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
April 19, 2012
DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS ANY MORE!! It's a shame to see what has happened to so many great, privately owned nurseries after being bought out by Jung's, and Burpee and Parks, too. They've lowered the quality so much of the companies they purchased in order to meet their own poor quality that they've ruined the companies. After receiving my $230.00 order, I contacted them over a week ago to ask for refund on some dead Alstroemeria and haven't received the courtesy of a response yet. They have the nerve to ask $9.95 per plant and you wouldn't believe what they send out now. Small, shriveled pieces of plant material that have been out of the ground for so long that it's turned black and is crumbling away. I can just see them laughing all the way to the bank. Roots and Rhizomes used to send out only live potted plants and healthy rhizomes that were already growing and ready to be planted, and they were bigger than the standard plants, and always healthy. They also responded to customer inquiries within hours. What a huge contrast to order from them now after JUNG's has taken over. It's like losing a piece of American History, and for this Jungk? What a complete disgrace. I'm done shopping anything that has Jung, Burpee or Park's name on it. I hope more people will boycott their junk and force them to give the quality that our hard earn money deserves. Just say NO!
Positive kudrick
Fallston, MD (Zone 6b)
May 25, 2011
My order was shipped promptly and all but two of the 16 plants arrived happy and healty. Upon notiication of the two sickly plants, I received an immediate response from Customer Service and was promised replacement.
Negative woof12
Philadelphia, PA
May 25, 2011
Posted on May 5, 2006, updated May 25, 2011
judging from the user ratings and comments I must be one of the few that got what they paid for. I've ordered plants a few times & never had a problem. The prices were right & the plants were a nice size.
On April 11th, 2008, woof12 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Geez. I spoke too soon. this spring's 2008's order arrived & I wouldn't send this to a sick dog. Half of the order was only so-so. The other half was the pits. Out of the pots, leaves pruned all the way back & dried out/ wilted from the trip. Totally unprofessonal to send stuff like that no matter what the price.
On April 14th, 2008, woof12 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Well, at least they made it right. The replacement arrived sooner than I thought it would.
On May 25th, 2011, woof12 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

What a pile of junk. The 2011 order was only half filled, apparentlly they couldn't fill the other half. What they sent I wouldn't send to a sick dog. The replacements they sent were just as bad & it wasn't even the replacement they were supposed to send.
Company representative comment on April 11, 2008:

On Apr 11, 2008 12:41 PM, Roots and Rhizomes added:

We hope you'll contact us directly to resolve this problem.
Ruth
800-546-4399
ruth@jungseed.com

Positive PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a)
May 16, 2011
Posted on April 6, 2009, updated May 16, 2011
I'm relatively new to daylilies, and ordered from several individuals on eBay, and this catalogue. While I haven't yet received plants from the other sources, I did get my R&R order last week. While they are not potted and green, the roots are alive and healthy looking. They arrived in individual, sealed plastic bags with holes punched in the bag. There was a modicum of peat with them, and the beginnings of growth on each. Each bag was printed with the variety name. They were not at all dried out.

The catalogue IS beautiful, but I agree with another poster that the website needs some work. They do offer some fine varieties, and their prices are good.

I would order again from them.
On May 16th, 2011, PinetopPlanter added the following:

I ordered again this year from Roots and Rhizomes and again was pleased. This year I ordered 6 different perennials - varieties that I had not seen offered anywhere else, and some that I'd never heard of. All came healthy and happy. I do not expect these perennials to be the size of those potted at the local nurseries, so perhaps that is why I've not been disappointed. I'm willing to receive somewhat smaller plants of varieties that I would not be able to get anywhere else. In any case, all were healthy and looking good.
Neutral pdools_NJ
Sparta, NJ
May 12, 2011
I received very small bareroot plants and was disappointed with the overall size and quality. Most of the plants were alive with the exception of a rotted Japanese iris and a dried out helianthoides that has not leafed like the others, but has some green in the stem- I've placed that one in the special care section of my garden.

The shipment was received two weeks before my requested ship date and that's a problem- they may know their plants, but I have been working my garden for 20+ years and know the best time to plant it- let alone my personal schedule and availability.

I am sure the company would make good on the lost plants, but when its 2 out of a shipment of 15, the return isn't worth the effort. My expectation up front is to receive large, healthy plants shipped securely and when I request them- that may seem a lot to ask, but other mail-order companies are providing this service.

Mail-order gardening is usually my last resort when I am looking for something very specific- every year I keep telling myself to just look at the catalogs for ideas and buy what you can at the local nurseries. Lesson learned again, but having this Garden Watchdog review with top rated vendors will prove most helpful for future considerations.

Neutral RUBYS
Wrens, GA
May 10, 2011
I received my second order from this company this spring. I order 2 varieties of shasta daisy's. I think one of the plants are not going to make it. I ordered globe thistle expecting potted plants and they came bareroot, so far no sign of them. I also received purple rooster monarda and coneflower and they seem to be healthy. I will withhold any judgement for now.
Negative missionfancy
Ames, IA
April 25, 2011
I first ordered from this company several years ago and was impressed with the plants I received at that time. I just received the plants I ordered earlier this spring, and was shocked at the poor size and quality of the plants I received. The amsonia was barely an inch tall. Yes they were in pots, but had not been in them long. The roots were not settled into the soil at all. In fact, the soil was all over the inside of the box, and the plants were laying in empty pots. The hostas advertised on sale were a few tiny roots, with an eye so small that I had trouble finding it. The daylilies were a little better, but no much. I won't order from this company ever again.
Negative poultrpete
Saint Paul, MN
May 7, 2010
I just received my order from Roots and Rhizomes today and was extemely disappointed. They offered for sale plants and what I received were a real stretch to be called plants. I received an echinacea that was a stub at ground level in a pot and a hosta that was two scrawny leaves in a pot. These are not what oe would expect. If I would have known they were accociated with Jung I would never have ordered from them as Jung is just as bad, probably worse.
Neutral CelestialBurst
Logan, WV
September 3, 2009
I ordered from R&R for the first time this year because a friend of mine alerted me to a few of the sale items that they had back earlier this summer. Hostas, daylilies, and some assorted perennials. When they arrived, the shriveled roots that were in the bags did not look very promising. I still planted them, but figured that this would be my first and last association with the company.

A week or so later things began to sprout. After that, the plants began to take shape and looked really nice. As the summer moved on and many of the plants I received from other companies or bought as plants locally began to look sickly and diseased, the R&R plants are outstanding! The daylilies all bloomed and the hostas are just perfect. I could not be happier!

I will definitely be doing business with them in the future and will be eliminating a lot of the other lesser companies that I purchased from in the past. Thank you Roots and Rhizomes!

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the stated policy of the Garden Watchdog that companies can NOT pose as customers in submitting customer feedback to inflate their own rating. The rating, originally positive, was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.
Negative daffojill
Ringoes, NJ
June 18, 2009
I recently decided to give R&R a shot as there was no recent bad feedback. What a mistake. I ordered half a dozen daylilies and received the most pitiful, paltry, pathetic, puny plants I have ever seen and that's just the "P's". They were obviously not freshly dug with both fine and fleshy roots darkened and shriveled. Also very little growth-where had these been for the last six weeks?? If I ran this "circus" I would be ashamed to send out such dismal plants-sale or no sale-a little quality control is in order here. Only a complete novice would accept these plants in such bad condition. I will stick to the daylily nurseries that dig the plants when I place my order.
Neutral kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
June 12, 2009
I placed an order because they had a Malva 'Blue Fountain' listed as available in 3-inch pots on their website. It is next to impossible to find this cultivar in pots. It's rare to find it to begin with, is usually only offered bare root. In fact, I bought this as bare root in 2008, and it failed to come up. That experience pretty much put me completely off buying bare root plants.

When I received the package from Roots & Rhizomes, it turned out that they sent me bare root plants despite offering it online in pots. It was incredibly upsetting -- and disappointing. I had scoured the internet for a particular plant available in a particular form, thought to have found it, only to be let down in the end. I complained immediately. I must commend them in that their customer service rep responded within hours on the same day and immediately refunded the cost of the plants.

The customer service person said they had run out of plants, could only fulfill orders with bare roots, and had forgotten to update their website. On the plus side, their customer service is responsive. On the minus side, they either can't be relied upon to accurately describe their merchandise or to update their website. Some geraniums I'd ordered at the same time but which shipped later also came bare root despite being offered on the website in pots. As of today, both the malva and the geranium are still listed on their website as available in pots.

I am giving this company a neutral rating, since they were very responsive and gave me a full refund.
Positive LinkM
Williamsville, NY (Zone 5b)
May 13, 2009
Against my better judgement I placed an order because they were the only place I could find some plants I really wanted. I was rewarded with nice, healthy plants in a very imaginative packing system. I would like to think they have learned from some other reports here, and I may try them again.
Positive millie08
Crivitz, WI
April 25, 2009
we received everything we ordered and all of the plants were absolutely wonderful. I will be ordering from them again. I found alot of shade perennials i couldnt find anywhere else.
Positive jayt36
Ashland, PA (Zone 6a)
April 24, 2009
I ordered six day lilies and five oriental lilies from R & R. My day lilies arrived in excellent condition and are already showing about 4" of growth. My oriental lilies were back ordered but came today. They are of a size much bigger than I expected and I am very pleased with them. I hope to get them planted tomorrow.
Also, I must comment that customer service was excellent. I wrote to ask when my day lilies would be sent and received a reply that they would get them out immediately. A couple of days ago, I wrote to ask about my back ordered oriental lilies, and was told that they were ready to be shipped. I was thanked for my order. I will certainly order from this company again.
Positive magnolia_fan
Mason, OH
April 4, 2009
I was really impressed with their collection of dicentra. I ordered quite a few last year. Two of them didn't make it last year. I emailed and asked for replacement and soon received nice plants. I am really impressed with their professionalism. I'll surely order from Roots and Rhizomes again because they stand behind their plants. Thank you so much.
Neutral EllieSmith
Lebanon, MO
March 12, 2009
Three years ago I succumbed to a beautiful picture in the R&R catalog -- daylily Spacecoast Starburst. It was SOOO expensive, way more than I ever pay for a plant but I HAD to have it. It arrived, extremely tiny and stressed and I planted it with trepidation. It grew in spite of it all, and I was pleased that it even put out a flower stalk that year, but what a disappointment when it opened. The flower was NOTHING like the picture.

Needless to say, I was rather upset, so I contacted them and even sent them a picture of the lily that bloomed. Obviously it was nothing like the catalog photo and I assumed that they had mixed up varieties. They kindly sent me a replacement, which I also planted. It also bloomed, the following year. It also was nothing like the picture.

The two lilies are now three years old. They are still not like the picture in the catalog, they are not fragrant, they do not rebloom.

Even though R&R were helpful and polite, I will not order from them again. I am still wondering what kind of lily I have, it certainly is not Spacecoast Starburst, at least not the one they have pictured in their catalog. This experience has made me very leery of them.
Negative ben773
Waukegan, IL
July 23, 2008
Earlier this year I ordered six Echinacea Virgin from them. The plants, which were supposed to be in pots were plugs with ALL top growth removed. The instructions on the bag said something like "plant and water me well and I will rewards you with beautiful blooms". Well, only one of the plugs grew, and grew poorly and now (July), it is still struggling. I called the company about 3 weeks after I babied them to no avail, and they told me that they were out of the Echinacea Virgin and sent me a credit letter for replacements - next year! They also told me that I should have called them immediately when I noticed anything wrong with the plants. Well, I thought a plug with the top growth removed was the norm. I trusted the company's judgement. I will never order anything from this company again. I thought this subsidiary of Jung was "more upscale", but based on the plants received, I guess not.
On June 8th, 2009, ben773 added the following:

I lied when I said I'll never order from them again. But then, I don't have a choice because who else would honor a credit replacement letter from Roots and Rhizomes? So, I placed an order for Echinacea Virgin and Siberian Iris. Well, I get the same puny Echinacea Virgin and the "generous sized" Siberian Irises were partially dried up and not generous at all. Got fooled twice and never again!
Negative KYGardenGirl
Georgetown, KY
July 9, 2008
We placed an order from this company back in 2006, for about a dozen daylilies. It's taken this long for some of them to bloom for the first time, so that's why I'm just now leaving a rating.
The daylilies were the smallest I've ever gotten from anywhere, and I have over 400 daylilies. That would be fine if they took off and grew, but about half of them died. The company did offer replacements when available, or credit. But now I'm finding out that of the ones that lived and are finally blooming, most of them were labeled wrong. This is way too much trouble and hassle to bother with ordering from them again. It's too bad, as their prices are good, and the catalog pictures are so nice, but the plants don't live up to them.
Negative njalmon
Wilmington, DE
June 19, 2008
I am on old gardener who has ordered many plants in my lifetime. I have never ordered and received more wretched, pitiful plnts in my life as I did from Roots and Rhisomes. On top of that, the woman who took my order was unknowledgeable and rather rude. What a disappointment and waste of money. I ordered eight plants of galiun odoratum (Sweet Woodruff) which were spindly and dry. I planted them anyway. Oh well.
Neutral daylilydazed
Sewaren, NJ
June 16, 2008
I ordered from this company because I received a gift certificate. The daylilies were all single fans and come in a plastic bag with holes and wood shavings and some peat moss. They looked pathetic so rather than putting them directly into the garden I potted them up. Three out of 12 did not make it. I think being in plastic and if it is hot when they ship it causes condensation and rot. One actually had a mushy crown directly out of the bag. Contacted the company and they promptly sent out replacements. Also one of the ones I ordered was no longer available and they promptly sent a refund check.
Negative connor4
Milton, DE
June 7, 2008
I ordered an Angelica,3 Princeton Silky daylillies, and 1 daylilly Welcome Mat. Only the Angelica and one of the Princeton Silky have survivied. All of the daylillies were extremely small and I am surprised that one has survived. I have been growing daylillies for 40+ years and have never had an experience like this. The catalog was quite nice but the product was very poor. They have seen the last of my money.
Positive gsd97jks
Brooklyn, NY
April 18, 2008
I found these guys through a friend and ordered using their website (which by the way could definitely use some work, my one negative comment!).

Plants arrived about a month after I ordered them, well packaged and healthy all. There was no "warning email" that they were coming, but that was ok by me. So far they are doing well in my city garden. I thought the prices were quite good for the size and quality of plants I received.

Plus the addition of a bonus gift (a daylily) was a nice touch. I will gladly order from them again.
Positive Sootfoot5
Mobile, AL (Zone 8b)
April 7, 2008
I have been a long time customer of Jung, but this is the first time I've ordered from R&R. I was not disappointed.

The plants arrived in excellent condition being packed exceedingly well. They were also surprisingly large for the price.

Another surprise was the free gift. Most companies offer a free gift as a "come on." This free gift was not mentioned when I ordered - it was just given, FREELY! (as it should be!) It is a lovely plant, a phlox, in very good shape, not a "second."

I will definetely order for R&R again, and I highly recommend them. Great bargains, and great product.
Positive jajtiii
Richmond, VA (Zone 7b)
March 2, 2008
I ordered from these folks in the Spring of 2007 and I believe it was a positive experience.

The plants were some of the most inexpensive plants that I had seen advertised, so I knew that I would be getting single tubers with not a lot of meat on them (I expect to get what I pay for and this seemed reasonable and acceptable.)

For the most part, the plants came in better health then expected and the one that was showing some rot was immediately replaced (I think there was a wait for the shipping, but the customer service rep was very friendly and squared me away immediately.)

It seems that the biggest thing to watch for with Daylily companies is them sending you some unnamed variety (and you don't know it til a couple of years go by, when the plant has had time to bloom.) Of the 9 daylilies that I ordered last year, 7 bloomed and all appeared to be the variety that I ordered.

I am going to order from them again (right now in fact.)
Negative gardenner
Champaign, IL
January 26, 2008
I am delighted to have the opportunity to comment on Roots and Rhizomes. Several years ago I order the day lily Rose Crush. The description and picture in the catalog were great..."We can pick this one out in our fields a mile away, blah blah" Check out the pic and you have to admit, its outstanding. Well I ordered it, planted it and anxiously awaited its first bloom, Yuck! it was a muddy rose, unnoteworthy from even six feet away. Called the company, they said no complaints had been lodged before, sent me a replacement, same dirty color. I gave up and never ordered again. What prompts me to write is that even to this day they continue with the same BS and the same picture. I wonder how many have been let down in this way.
Company representative comment on January 28, 2008:

On Jan 28, 2008 2:16 PM, Roots and Rhizomes added:

We're sorry 'gardenner' was disappoited with our Rose Crush daylily. We've sold hundreds of Rose Crush daylilies since its introduciotn in 1999 with many repeat orders and have had few, if any, complaints. We will review the picture of Rose Crush and take a new picture if necessary. We try very hard to make our catalog as factual as possible and will look into this customer's report. If any of our customers have a similar complaint, please contact our customer service department at info@rootsrhizomes.com or 1-800-546-4399.

Positive carmin
Amherst, SD
December 28, 2007
I have ordered from R & R for the past 2 years and have been very happy with this company. There prices are good and there plants do well. I have had a couple of plants fail, but they were either replaced or refunded. There customer service was very helpful and friendly.
Negative grpphoto
Middletown, NJ
October 12, 2007
In spring of 2007, I ordered 3 Athyrium "lady in red", 1 Dicentra gold heart, 3 Reginae lady's slipper, 3 Turtleheads, 1 Monkshood pink sensation, 2 Common Monkshood, and 3 Black adder agastache. Of the bunch, the Dicentra came up and survived, though it's rather small (about palm size). Two of the lady's slippers also came up, but did not bloom. They were also bare-rooted, which usually means they were pirated from the wild.

The athyrium arrived potted, but disappeared. Nothing else showed up. Even if it had, I think the pirated lady's slippers would have convinced me not to buy from them again.
Positive fancypantsnancy
Sandy, UT
July 11, 2007
I have bought dayliles, siberian iris and a potted penstemon. All but the penstemon has survived and i believe it was my fault it died.