The scoop on 'F.W. Schumacher Co., Inc.'

F.W. Schumacher Co., Inc.

Sandwich, Massachusetts 02563-1023 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Neutral ericb
Yadkinville, NC
February 6, 2013
I just ordered small quantities of two varieties from FWS. I'd probably order from FWSchumacher again (especially because they sell so many things I wouldn't know any other sources for), but some details of my experience were kind of negative. Delay was one thing. I ordered in December -- I think it was right after Christmas, but I can't remember the exact date in December -- and the order was postmarked January 18 (meaning I didn't receive it until several days after then.) I generally expect a quicker turn-around than that. The other thing was shipping costs. Postage was $2.29, and I was charged $5.79 for "postage & packing." The only packaging was a bubble envelope. Maybe "packing" means more than just packaging and includes a handling charge. There was also a $1.50 "small order charge" I wasn't expecting. These aren't unreasonable amounts and I wouldn't mention them at all except that they came unexpectedly and didn't seem as transparent as they should have been. Like I said, I'll probably order from them again despite these things.
Positive Wolfcastle
West Lafayette, IN (Zone 5b)
July 30, 2012
I ordered a pound of pawpaw seeds from F.W. Schumacher this year and have been quite pleased so far. The order was quickly shipped back in February and there were no signs of damage in transit. In late July, the seeds finally started pushing up leaves, which is a normal time period from what Iíve read. Out of the 300 or so seeds that were planted, about 70 little seedlings have broken the surfaces, which is quite respectable considering this was my first time stratifying and growing trees from seeds. I will definitely be ordering from F.W. Schumacher again.
Positive kwn_univcolorad
New Berlin, WI
June 27, 2008
I have ordered seed from F. W. Schumacher for years, and I have never once had a bad experience. I am a non-commercial customer, and I have about 2 acres of land on which my house sits. I used their seed (White Oak, Red Oak, Sugar Maple) to cover part of my lot with a small forest 10 years ago. Some of those trees, grown from seed, are now 20 feet tall. I also bought seed from them at my previous two houses. In fact, the first time I bought seed from them was in 1988. They are honest, prompt in filling orders, and very nice people to deal with. I would recommend this company any time, to anyone looking for tree seed.
Positive raddog
De Soto, KS
November 30, 2005
I purchased seed from F.W. Schumacher and it's been a great experience to date. Orignally I had left a message on their answering machine over a weekend, and they called me promptly on Monday morning to follow up on what I wanted to order.

I wanted several varieties of seed, some of which was in stock, some on order, so they quickly shipped me what they had in stock and will be shipping me the rest as it arrives. Packaging, speed, customer service have all been wonderful. Their inventory is awesome, too.

I found Schumacher after I'd purchased in excess of two dozen seedling pawpaws from a grower, very healthy seedlings I might add, and I asked the grower who he recommended for seed. He indicated the pawpaws were grown from seed the grower purchased from F.W. Schumacher, and that his experiences with them had been consistently good.

I've found F.W. Schumacher to be a good company with which to work. I highly recommend them.

- john ferguson, kansas city
Positive picealuver
East Wenatchee, WA
June 30, 2004
A very complete selection of woody plant seeds. Although they price their seeds in commercial quantities, they will sell trial packets for $3. However, as I am finding with any seed broker, the quality of seed can never really be guaranteed, hence the value of the trial packets.