The scoop on 'Rolling River Nursery'

Rolling River Nursery

PO Box 332
Orleans, California 95556 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive DHolladay
Nampa, ID
June 22, 2014
I have purchased many products from this company over the past few months. This company is incredible. The products are in good condition when arrive and they come when promised. I did have a few plants that lost their leaves after I planted them & they almost insisted that they send replacements. I told them that I would like to wait to see if they bounce back and they seem to be. They check with me to see how they are doing. I send them emails at all hours of the day & night & they often get back to me immediately. I have found my favorite mail order company to deal with, period!
Positive deforestliz
Sandy, UT
May 3, 2014
After another nursery failed to deliver an order I placed in the fall I looked here for the most highly reviewed nurseries in order to try to get my trees in this year. These guys went way above and beyond. They got my trees to me in under a week from the time I called and all were healthy and well packed. I saw some of the reviewers wanted larger trees, but I have found smaller ones tend to accept transplant shock and adapt better. These people saved me a whole year of waiting until my fruit trees are ready to produce. They could not have been nicer than the nursery which is not to be named.
Positive gwrace
Round Rock, TX
April 9, 2014
I have about 21 fruit trees all from Dave Wilson nurseries. All of these have been planted over the last 3 years. All arrived bare root, were 2-3 years old with nice sized trunks and well developed root systems. All were planted in Dec, Jan of the year they arrived. All have thrived and grown out quite well. That is until our dynamic duo of two Whippet pups found out they liked to pull up and chew off trees at the ground. I've lost two so far. I'm now using pepper spray to train them away from the trees. With the recent loss of a Mariposa and Beauty plum I went on a late season search for replacements. Rolling River Nursery seemed to be the only online source that still had these trees in stock. I placed an order for three trees over a weekend. A Beauty, Mariposa, and Elephant Heart plum. They were promptly shipped out on the following Monday. Due to a UPS error the delivery was delayed from Friday to the following Monday requiring the trees to be stored in the package over the weekend. Upon arrival they were very well packed and shipped in long narrow planters. The only disappointment was in the overall size and shape of the trees. They appear to be first year saplings. They were tiny be comparison to the bare root trees I'm used to receiving. They were also more expensive. I had higher expectation for trees that cost $25 plus shipping. I typically get 3 year old Dave Wilson trees for about $19 each delivered. Only time will tell how well these trees grow out. They were also on different rootstock than what I'm used to getting on plums. For me Citation has performed very well.
Positive iykim
Hillsborough, CA (Zone 10a)
April 4, 2014
Posted on April 1, 2014, updated April 4, 2014
I was very pleased with the number of fruit tree/vine selections offered by Rolling River Nursery. I mean, more than a dozen kinds of pomegranate, quince, grape, etc. I was specifically looking for the Korean Giant pear tree grafted onto betulifolia rootstock. These were very hard to find. When I saw that Rolling River sells these, I tried to order, but alas, they were not in stock at the time. But the Rolling River Nursery website has an email notification system for each out-of-stock items that you can sign up to get notified. I think I signed up in August or September of 2013. In January 2014, I was notified that there were 10 available in stock. I jumped at the chance right away, and placed an order for two. While I was ordering them, I decided to see what else I would find enticing. I saw another Korean fruiting plant called Korean Bush Cherry (called "angdoo" in Korean). If you can't tell, as you could see from my interests, I am Korean and I want to fill my garden with plants originated from Korea. And then I saw a very sweet pomegranate that I wanted. So in all, I ordered 2x Korean Giant, 2x Korean Bush Cherry, and 1x Pomegranate. They arrived super fast in great packaging. I planted them almost immediately after having them "rest" for a few days in the shade. It's now spring, and everything is leafing out, except for one Korean Bush Cherry. I gave it a few more weeks to see if it is a "late sprouter". But it never did, and I realized that there was no green cambium under the thin bark, and the roots were very small and dead. I contacted the Nursery immediately, and they said they will ship a replacement right away. I told one of my gardening friends about this place, and she ended up ordering the same plus more from them, and she said ALL of the trees she bought from Rolling River are doing very well. She is also very pleased. I will be ordering more from Rolling River. I can't wait till their special persimmons are in stock again. Also, being in California, I can order persimmons and grapes from only the nurseries within California, which Rolling River is. Definitely a keeper!
On April 4th, 2014, iykim added the following:

Today, I received the replacement Korean Bush Cherry. This was shipped out to me in one week after I contacted Rolling River Nursery about the dead one. This one looks really healthy, already leafing and branching out. I am now anxiously waiting for the email notifications for persimmons and grapes that they are back in stock. There are many Japanese persimmons, but I wish they would carry a few Korean varieties. They are sooooo sweet and flavorful. I am planning to dry the astringent types. They are a delicacy in Korea.
Positive StueyG
Conroe, TX
October 7, 2013
I have placed many orders now with Rolling River Nursery. One of the reasons I ended up making an account on here was to leave them a review. I used this website to make a choice on whom to purchased from and glad I did. The trees, vines, and other plants I have purchased from Rolling River have been great. I live in Texas and sometimes in shipping some have had issues getting here but they always are willing to take care of that. Highly recommend them! Great service, great people. Really high quality plants, trees, vines. All have done well. Thanks Rolling River! :)
Positive 13PointRanch
(Zone 8a)
September 20, 2013
Ordered a white mulberry this past spring from Rolling River, and received a beautiful healthy tree that arrived with three tiny mulberries on it (yes, those three berries were delicious when ripe, lol!) Shipping was fast, tree was securely packaged, and it is growing like mad here in Texas! Great company with a HUGE selection of fruit and nut trees, including many hard to find varieties. Another plus is their customer service is excellent...they quickly responded to questions I emailed them and the answers and info they gave was extremely helpful. Can't wait to order more trees from Rolling River in the future! :)
Positive Emmoline
Ridgecrest, CA
April 15, 2013
Have ordered several fruit trees, berry bushes, root plants and rose bush from this company over the past year and a half. I am very pleased with the vast selection of plants and competitive pricing on their website. My plants, with the exception of one tree, are very healthy-I spoke with Marc concerning the one tree and he promptly offered to replace it free of charge! In fact, I was so impressed with the great customer service, I ordered an additional tree. All of the plants have been shipped promptly, in great condition and in nicely moistened packing soil. Will continue to order plants from them.
Positive Express128
Mansfield, TX
October 21, 2012
Very Nice people, did a phone order, they are helpful and shipped the plants quickly. Items arrived in good condition. Will buy from again.
Positive treebird101
Bedford, IA
September 4, 2012
Wow! first time I ever ordered from this place. I bought 1 Ruby Autumn Olive and 1 Amber Autumn Olive. VERY Impressed with the size of the bushes I received! Very healthy! I highly recommend this company. Ive bought an Autumn Olive from One Green World and it was a quarter of the size of these, literally! I also paid a higher price. It sure is great to still see a company offering old school American quality and size in their products. I will buy from again.
Positive Aquias
North Fork, CA
May 25, 2012
I am really impressed with this company. The quality of their plants are great. I ordered a good number of plants from them. Only one plant I had a problem with, the portion above the graft never grew. After emailing them they sent me a replacement, no problem. I got it only two days after contacting them. I will definitely be ordering from them again. Great customer service! Great Plants!
Positive BeeznBearz
Cottonwood, ID
May 10, 2012
After reading through the glowing reviews for Rolling Rivers on this website I decided to give them a try. The prices on their products were just too good to pass up so I ordered four seedlings. They responded promptly and I received the package in less than a week. I was very happily surprised when the plants arrived. The only seedling as small as the price is the pine nut tree. The strawberry guava, raisin tree are both 3 feet tall and quite leafy and the cranberry is a small healthy shrub already putting out flowers. I will definitely order from them again!
Positive SanJoseFool
San Jose, CA
April 28, 2012
I've placed two orders with them. Everything was packed well and everything leafed out. I was happy with the caneberries, currants, autumn olive/goumi, and herbs I got.

The pineapple guava seedlings were so thin and leggy I wouldn't have ordered had I known. They are alive and growing but way behind my locally bought pineapple guava.

The one fruit tree I got (IE Mulberry) was quite thin and didn't do as well as my bare root fruit trees. I would not have ordered this had I known it was such a small caliper.

All in all, I recommend them for things I mentioned in the first paragraph. I would get a fruit tree from them if it was a hard to find tree, otherwise if you can get it bare root somewhere else I would do that.
Positive badbee
Ferndale, CA
April 19, 2012
Rolling River has an easy to navigate website with a fantastic assortment of edibles and natives. Many hard to find items. I have ordered from them a couple of times and the plants have been exceptional quality- especially considering how reasonable the prices are-very healthy and always very carefully and thoughtfully packed. I did have one occasion to make an inquiry, by e-mail, which was answered quickly and completely. I couldn't be more pleased.
Positive Eponagirl
Northeastern, CT (Zone 6a)
March 15, 2012
Very happy ordering from these guys! I upgraded my shipping to 3 day because of cold weather the week they shipped (shipped shortly after ordering), but the fig tree was packaged so well, it was probably not necessary. Very healthy Negronne fig tree is now coming out of dormancy and is growing fast. Would order from them again no problem!
Positive cencalgarden
Visalia, CA
January 30, 2012
First time ordering with Rolling River and I was pleased with the whole transaction. Online ordering was easy and healthy, well-packed and labeled plants arrived promptly. All the unusual berry plants I ordered (Sea Buckthorn, PawPaw and Goumi) were reasonably priced. Will certainly return for future orders!
Positive jmnave
Elverta, CA
January 30, 2012
Awesome! One of the best mail order nurseries I have ever dealt with. I have ordered from them 3 times in the last two years. Every order has been expertly packed and promptly shipped. The plants have all been in good shape. I think everything I ordered has been sent in pots rather than bare root, but I have mostly been ordering shrubs and bushes rather than larger trees. I assume they send the larger trees bare root but I don't know.
Positive Pitcom
Avondale, PA (Zone 6b)
May 17, 2011
Posted on April 16, 2011, updated May 17, 2011
I ordered from this company after reading the reviews here on DG. I would like to add to the good reviews of Rolling River. I called the company and spoke to a very nice gentleman who spent 15 minutes on the phone with me going over fig trees and currants. I was able to select several varieties of figs, currants, raspberries, blackberries and honeyberries. They actually showed out of stock for a couple of the black currants, and the person i spoke to, took the time to see if they had anymore for sale, in which they did.

Shipping took 8 days, and i was a bit nervous about the condition of the plants after such a long shipping time. The new growth on the plants was translucent and had turned white in spots, but it quickly regained color after planting. The packaging was superb and the containers the roots were packed in was still moist. All of my plants seem to be doing well. I was happy enough to place a second order with Rolling River Nursery.
On May 17th, 2011, Pitcom added the following:

I have ended up placing half a dozen orders with this company this year. There was only one hiccup with a wrong plant sent by accident, and 1 honeyberry bush which did not survive the trip. The problems were rectified and replacement plants were sent at no charge. All of the fig trees, grape vines, currants and other plants i bought have wonderful growth. It's nice dealing with a company who sends quality plants and takes care of any issues without any hesitation.
Positive gopals
Sidney, TX
March 2, 2011
Excellent experience with this nursery recently. Ordered several paw paws, pomegranites, persimmons, a fig, etc, and all were expertly packed, healthy good-looking specimens. They notified me they were out of a particular variety of pawpaw and replaced it at my request. This shows me they have genuine varieties, as they could have easily replaced it secretly. The trees were a bit small, but it's much better to get very healthy, robust small trees than weak big ones! Friendly staff, good selection. All in all, very highly recommended nursery.
Positive ohestnes
Blacksburg, VA
June 19, 2010
Ordered 4 very hard to find currants. After 9 days in the mail from across the country they all arrived healthy and a month later are thriving in the ground.
Great prices, and reasonable shipping rates.
Positive sfenster
Pemberton, NJ
May 23, 2010
Ordered a number of plants. All arrived in excellent condition and are doing well.
Positive Dean99
Berkeley, CA
May 23, 2010
After a long search for a Picholine olive tree, I found Rolling River Nursery. They have a very nice selection and a nicely organized website. I ended up buying a Nugget hops, Flame grape, Saanichton kiwi, and the Picholine olive. Not only was the olive $20 cheaper then most other nurseries, but the tree was much larger then I was anticipating.

My order arrived two days before I was expecting it. All the plants were nicely packed and in good health. The only strange thing was that the Nugget hops came planted with the top exposed. However, the hops started growing within a week of planting it.

I would recommend this nursery. They seem to care about there plants and there business. I will be using them again, and they seem to want to expand there stock based on what there customers are asking for.
Positive sassy4u
Washington, UT
May 19, 2010
The shipping was on time. The product was in good condition and they were great with answering my questions. Even though no one knows much about honey berry plants they returned my calls in a timely manner and I would do buisness with them again.
Positive wstone8
Dover, FL
November 19, 2009
I ordered a Loquat "gold nugget" from Rolling River Nursery and am pleased with the transaction---------They were responsive to my questions before my order. The order was shipped on date promised and arrived here across country, healthy and happy.
Positive Baalphagore
Los Angeles, CA
November 14, 2009
These guys are great. We ordered 4 Kiwi vines. They arrived
healthy and much larger, than I had, imagined, they would be.
There was a small problem with the order, but they corrected
this promptly and courteously. Would definitely order from them again and pass the good word to my friends.
Positive goatster
Pine Mt, GA (Zone 7b)
March 24, 2009
Count me in as another happy customer. I ordered 2 female and one male kiwi and the Verte Fig. Wow the plants are huge and healthy. The kiwi are just leafing out and the fig is still dormant. Came in containers. Well packaged and came a long way to my Georgia home. Answers e-mails quickly, friendly and helpful. I will order from this company again.
Positive ekmott
Tallahassee, FL
January 14, 2009
I just received my second order from rolling river nursery. I was so impressed with my first order(3 kiwi vines) that I placed a second order for 6 "sunshine " blueberry bushes and kept my fingers crossed. They arrived in 10 days and are the most beautiful plants you could hope for,just like the kiwi vines. I will be ordering again, as the quality,promptness,and packaging are superior to any other nursery I have used, And I've used many! They are on the opposite end of the U.S. from me but well worth the shipping costs which I feel are reasonable.
Positive throneofyord
College Station, TX (Zone 8b)
June 16, 2008
I made a large and varied order of trees from Rolling River about three months ago. With such a range, I did not expect most of them to thrive. In fact however all of them have. I will be making another order from them this fall. They had run out of several trees that I wanted, so I will be ordering early. Very well packed trees, in very good health.

Bob
Positive kailas
San Francisco, CA
March 13, 2008
I've ordered several fruit trees from Rolling River and have been absolutely thrilled with the price, quality and size. The guy I dealt with was very knowledgeable and friendly, and didn't mind spending time answering my many questions. All my trees arrived safely, in great packing. Lots of healthy strong roots in the tree can and no transplant shock. My last order arrived about a month ago. The tree was dormant when I got it, and now it's already leafed out. I will definitely continue ordering from them.
Positive Davesname
Mill Valley, CA
January 22, 2008
I ordered 12 different plants from them by phone, talked to the guy and the gal at different times. Both very helpful and willing to take time to explain and define the plants. The plants came the next week as promised.Very nicely and cleverly packed. The bamboo stakes enclosed to support plants in the carton a bonus for marking the plants on our vast hillside. Plants look healthy and had good roots. One thing, the website is a little quirky and the shipping list is kind of cryptic, so take notes on what you are ordering. I would definitely recommend them to anybody.
Positive mrs_colla
Marin, CA (Zone 9b)
November 15, 2007
I spoke on the phone with the owner and was very impressed. The man is very into his plants, is patient with questions and has a stunning nursery and website!
I will place my order tomorrow and will report back!
So far; MORE than good!!!
On November 21st, 2007, mrs_colla added the following:

My plants got to me in absolute pristine condition! Very well packed, none of those nasty white thingies, just good old newspaper!
The plants are 3 to 4 feet tall, have nice deep roots, about 30 cm long, they are well established, not crowded.
The plants have next years buds, and the earthworms that fell out of the pots tell me the soil is healthy!
Organic, can't ask for anything more!
I will be ordering again!!
Thank you, thank you!!
Christie
On July 24th, 2009, mrs_colla added the following:

I ordered 2 Ficus Carica, they came fast, superbly packed, not a one leaf broken!
Nicely branched, great roots, I am so happy! And what a reasonable price!!!
Thank you!
Positive Glenn9643
Monroe, LA
May 2, 2007
I ordered four fig cultivars from them this spring, and nineteen others from three other reputable or better known nurseries. These were the last to arrive due to a bureaucratic problem.
The figs from Rolling Hills were hands down the best stock that I received this spring. Larger plants as well rooted as one could ask for. Packaging for shipment couldn't be better. Received notification of shipment with a tracking number, and the package arrived late in the evening the day before scheduled. If they have the varieties I'm looking for I'll definitely order from them again, and recommend them highly to others.
On May 3rd, 2007, Glenn9643 added the following:

After reading my initial comments, I thought I should clarify that I wasn't indicating that Rolling Hills is not a reputable or well-known company... they were unknown to me and not listed here when I made my order, but I ordered anyway because they had the varieties I wanted.
And after planting the trees this morning I'll comment again on the beautiful root development of all the trees. Thanks Marc!
Positive bob414
Petaluma, CA
May 2, 2007
I ordered a fig tree from Rolling River Nursery. When I received it there had been damage during shipment. Upon receiving my notification Marc, the owner, emailed me stating that they have upgraded the packaging to avoid that kind of damage and are replacing it at their expense. I would definitely order from them again.