The scoop on 'Rose Franklin's Perennials & Herbs (Butterfly Bushes.com)'

Rose Franklin's Perennials & Herbs (Butterfly Bushes.com)

Rose Franklin's Perennials & Herbs (Butterfly Bushes.com) has 93 products listed in PlantScout.

107 Butterfly Lane
Spring Mills, Pennsylvania 16875 (United States)

Visit Rose Franklin's Perennials & Herbs (Butterfly Bushes.com) at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on October 30, 2011:
We specialize in growing perennials that attract butterflies and hummingbirds. We are permitted to ship plants to most states that lie east of the Mississippi River.

Comments:

Negative Tummygoat
Draper, UT
July 28, 2014
I was excited to find an online source for a plant I've been looking for and ordered immediately using my smartphone. The next day I received a Paypal refund -- minus $1 as a processing fee -- and a nasty note stating Rose Franklin doesn't ship to my state, instructions on reading fine print, along with some other unpleasantries. Having never experienced an issue with shipping plants to my state, I revisited the site using a full sized computer. The fine print did state that Rose F doesn't ship to my state; however, she listed the states she doesn't ship to (almost all) instead of listing the states she doesn't ship to (would be a much shorter list). I can see how this might be confusing; however, I didn't even see the list on my smartphone.

I emailed Rose Franklin expressing my disappointment with her lame, and extremely rude, customer service. Luckily she wasn't authorized to charge for her precious time to respond to my email. All-in-all, it was well worth the $1 to get screamed at by an uptight old bitty. This person and company doesn't understand customer service in the year 2014... reviews like this one are a good way to spread the word.

Based on the negative way Rose Franklin treated me, I wouldn't give this company my business... even if I did live in one of the two states she ships to. Make sure to read the fine print and don't poke the hornet nest that is Rose Franklin... unless you have a dollar to spare and want to yelled at by a senile old coot.
Positive glen74
Effingham, IL (Zone 5b)
July 22, 2014
I recently placed an order with this company after seeing the positive comments on Dave's Garden. My order was processed and shipped the same week of purchase. I received several emails informing me of the placed order, expected ship date, and when the plants were shipped. The plants were delivered yesterday (July 21st) and I was thoroughly pleased with the quality of the material. I thought the plant prices were very reasonable and far cheaper than I expected for the high quality of material I received. The quality of plants was so much greater than items sold by more "popular" nurseries.

I ordered two garden phlox, two pink butterfly bushes, and two blue veronica. I know it's not a big order, but Rose Franklin had what I wanted (and so much more, but some of those items were out of stock). I love her knowledge and enthusiasm for butterflies in general. Not enough people appreciate them. I truly think it speaks greatly of her character.

I will know doubt be ordering from this company in the future. I love the selections and information, and the great quality they provide.
Negative Cassie19625
Anoka, MN
June 17, 2014
I placed my order in May, and as anticipated, the plants shipped June 16. In the shipment notification email, they took the time to tell me that if this is a rural mailbox, to not let the plants sit outside for very long. I noticed there was no tracking number so I emailed back asking for one. My mail is delivered between 10am and 3pm and I work an hour from my house, so I thought I'd keep an eye on it and buzz home when they were delivered. Rose Franklin took the time to email me back...saying she didn't have the time to email 40 tracking numbers a day and wouldn't provide me with one. I emailed back, and her suggestion was to contact my local post office and have the plants held. By this time, the time she'd dedicated to three emails easily could have been spent sending me a tracking number.

To date, I still have no tracking number. This is horrendous customer service, and I will never be ordering from this company again.
Neutral StueyG
Conroe, TX
May 9, 2014
Found reviews of the website that all sounded great and some items I wanted to add to our garden. Placed an order which was shortly canceled and was refunded minus a service fee. Website has a listing for states they only ship to which I missed. I don't know why - the items I was trying to purchase I have ordered from other websites. Also generally it is a "no ship" listing - every garden site I have visited does that and I did not see Texas so I placed an order. Would have liked to make a purchase and probably would have gone back for more otherwise.
Positive MarBorisovna
State College, PA
December 4, 2013
I've ordered few plants this spring quite early , so it was saying they 'd start to ship in the beginning of May, but May came and I didn't receive my order. I was worry because we were leaving in June. I wrote an email and explained the situation. Rose answered at once and next day shipped the plants.
The plants ( polemoniums Brise d' Anjou and ferns) were in excellent condition
and I would not say small, comparing with other orders I got .
They are doing well in spite of letting them alone for couple months.
I want to say thanks to Rose for her consideration and wonderful plants.
Sure, would buy from this company again.
Positive enviroplanter
Ambler, PA (Zone 5b)
August 21, 2013
Good source for butterfly-attracting plants as well as other perennials. Plants are small but well-rooted. Prompt service and good packing.
Positive MissS
Pewaukee, WI (Zone 5a)
June 15, 2013
I ordered a hard to find plant, Lysimachia atropurpurea. The starts are beautiful and already blooming. The plants were packed very well and arrived without damage. Rose communicates very well and I truly appreciate that.
I purchased the same plant locally and the plants for Rose are much better plants.
I would be happy to recommend this company and I will purchase from here again.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
September 19, 2012
Ordered some Monarda and Hardy Geranium-let me say the prices are outstanding and the plants are very healthy, large and packaged very well. Nice selection and photos of selections are just right. Not overdone. Easy to navigate site. And instead of offering points or coupons-she sells her plants at an affordable price from the start. So refreshing to see a company not trying to rip you off. Shipping is also reasonable. Seriously going to change to Rose Franklin for many of my plants in the future, tired of paying top dollar and getting miniscule half dead plants at one place and paying double at another site. Highly recommend this company for perennials.
Positive Toddott
Kentwood, MI (Zone 5b)
August 2, 2012
Posted on August 2, 2012, updated August 2, 2012
Ordered 20 Monarch larva/eggs and a jumbo sized Caterpillar Castle. Placed half of larva in Castle outside and half in my greenhouse in a terrarium with a screen top. Fed them new milkweed leaves every day and all but four eventually turned into butterflies. Amazing!
On August 2nd, 2012, Toddott added the following:

Was so happy with the butterflies, I ordered some plants. Very nice, huge, healthy plants, packaged well, shipped quickly. Low prices, low shipping costs, great communication.
Positive Mich_a_green
Lake Orion, MI
June 15, 2012
Outstanding Company.
Great communication about the order being received & then again when the ordered shipped.
Very well packaged and I was surprised at how large and healthy all the plants were.
I will gladly order from this company again.
Positive Grandmasooz
Florence, KY
August 22, 2011
I ordered four plants for my butterfly garden, including two swamp milkweed. They arrived very healthy and much larger than I expected. Six days after planting, I discovered a Monarch caterpillar on one of the plants. I am a very happy camper and will continue to use this company.
Positive Indie
Apex, NC (Zone 7b)
June 22, 2011
The plants I received were beautifully packed and very healthy. I was also very impressed with how quickly I received them!
Positive lafu115
Arlington, VA
June 22, 2011
Posted on June 22, 2011, updated June 22, 2011
Posted on June 12, 2011, updated June 22, 2011
I received 30 Homestead Verbena a couple of days ago and am very pleased. All plants are healthy and strong. They were packed very carefully. This was my first order and I will be placing another for sure!
On June 22nd, 2011, lafu115 added the following:

Just received my second order. Again all plants arrived in excellent condition! A+++++++++++++++
On June 22nd, 2011, lafu115 added the following:

Positive Patt52
Rydal, GA (Zone 7b)
June 8, 2011
Posted on May 2, 2009, updated June 8, 2011
I just received my first order from Rose and I was very happy
with all my butterfly plants! Her prices are great and the plants are healthy and very well rooted. I can't wait to see them grow in my garden! Thanks Rose, I'm looking forward
to receiving my second order.
On May 15th, 2009, Patt52 added the following:

I just received my second order today and all I can say is
WOW! Just can't believe what you get for the price. Rose's
plants are very well rooted and the minute you get them in
your garden they seem to take off. Way to go Rose, keep
up the great work. I don't know anyone out there that can
beat you in price and value. I'm sure I will be ordering again
soon!
On June 8th, 2011, Patt52 added the following:

Just received my first order from Rose this year! Was a little worried as we are now in the 90's here in Ga. But thanks to Rose and her wonderful staff everything came beautifully packaged and not one plant was dry or damaged! I will diffently be ordering again soon!
Positive farm_kittie
Saint Clair Shores, MI
May 25, 2011
This year is my sixth year ordering from Rose's perennials. I cannot rave enough about how healthy the plants are and how incredibly large they grow. I have mostly ordered different types of butterfly bushes but I also have ordered some other perennials as well. They are packed very, very well.

The strange thing is, I left a review and an update a couple of years ago and they aren't displaying in the list of reviews. I saw them there at the time.

I know they couldn't have been deleted for cause as they were very positive!
Positive Mima56
Thayer, MO (Zone 6a)
May 19, 2011
Posted on May 12, 2011, updated May 19, 2011
I ordered 4 Asclepias incarnata 'Ice Ballet' in April from Rose. I was immediately informed that they would not be ready for shipping til early May, which wasn't a problem for me. When the plants arrived, they had been so well packed and looked healthy and happy! From the looks of them, I expect no problems. I will first give them a period on the porch to readjust to the sunlight before transplanting. I also have to say that the shipping costs were much more reasonable than recent orders with other companies! All in all, an excellent ordering experience.
On May 19th, 2011, Mima56 added the following:

After a positive experience ordering from Rose, I placed a second order which just arrived and didn't disappoint! 2 butterfly bushes, 3 liatris, and a Joe Pye weed. Healthy looking small specimins, though they usually grow quickly. I will certainly be checking Rose's site first next year when I'm ready to indulge myself! Lovely plants, reasonable prices, and the lowest shipping rates!!
Positive Skinnercreek
Sun Prairie, WI
August 23, 2010
Excellent quality plants shipped quickly! Friendly and informative E-mails. Awesome experience! I was a little spooked about
Mail order plants after some bad buys earlier this year, but I would order from Rose Franklin Perennials again with out hesitation!!
Positive rbane
Virginia
United States
August 4, 2010
Excellent quality plants - some of them nearly full-grown.
The order was shipped very quickly, and all plants were very well packaged.
Only 10 days after planting, several of the plants are flowering already.
I highly recommend them.
Positive wyldeflwr
Laurel, MD (Zone 7a)
July 16, 2010
I can't say enough good things about Rose. Not only does she send healthy, well rooted plants but she packs them with extreme care. My most recent order was due to ship at a time when our temps were in the 100s. She notified me she didn't want to ship out plants and have them dead upon arrival and waited until it was cooler. That speaks volumes to me about how much she cares. I would recommend her to anyone, especially those of you who are trying to help the butterflies. Her selection is excellent and plants a really nice size and very healthy.
Positive juditham
Muskego, WI
July 8, 2009
Always ships healthy plants along with informative plant information including detailed planting instructions.

Company is responsive to customer needs and requests.
Positive fearadyn
Altoona, PA
June 30, 2009
I am so pleased to have found such a wonderful co. to order plants from. They contacted me the day I ordered and let me know when they were shipping and the plants came the next day.

I was very pleased with the price of the plants, and the shipping was reasonable.

The quality of the plants I ordered are excellent, they are huge and very healthy. The packaging perfect, actually the best I have ever seen.

I would recommend this Co. to everyone and will continue to do buisness with them.

Lynn Mantell
Positive richardw8gap
Hamilton, OH
June 27, 2009
I am nearly 80 years old and have ordered plants by mail for years. The quality of the specimens was excellent. The packing was absolutely the best I have ever seen in all the orders from various supliers over the years. I could not be more pleased with the quality of the plants and the shipping speed and the more than excellent packing. I am bookmarking their site as I certainly don't want to loose it so that I can place future orders.

A great nursery and more than superior packing.

Positive evelazquez
Staten Island, NY
June 26, 2009
My order was shipped immediately and came in perfect condition. The price was very reasonable and I am very happy to have discovered them.
Positive AdagioNonTropp0
Ravena, NY
June 26, 2009
I just received my first order from Rose Franklin's. The packaging was sturdy and the delivery was early in the day. These are plants I had searched for at garden stores in my area and had been unable to find. I was leery of ordering plants over the net, but the plants were good-sized and healthy!
Positive TwinMom2007
West Newfield, ME
April 3, 2009
I placed an order from this company for several different plants. My order was processed promptly with no issues with quantity, etc.

I received my plants and they were very carefully packed with thorough instructions on how to plant. The plants were very healthy and one even bloomed the first year!

All correspondence to the company was replied to promptly. I was very happy purchasing from this company and look forward to doing so again!
Positive bettieacks
Oldtown, MD
August 14, 2008
I just got my shipment from Rose Franklin's and the plants are just beautiful! I have ordered a lot of plants online and have had mostly bad experiences with dead, dried up and generally stuff that never grew. These plants are just lovely, green and fresh and some with flowers. They look like they were just dug out of the ground. Wonderfully packed and absolutely no damage. I am going to order lots more for the huge perennial garden I am creating.
Positive lindalynn
Pinckney, MI (Zone 5b)
May 8, 2008
Yet another wonderful plant order arrived today. Packaged with care, with their long trip to my house in mind, as usual; the plants looked healthy & vibrant. I always get speedy & professional responses when I correspond. I plan on ordering again soon!
Positive carolrees
Arlington, VA (Zone 7a)
July 7, 2007
This was my first time ordering.

I ordered 4 Balloon flowers, 1 joe pye weed, 2 caradonna sage and 2 jerusalem sage.

All plants arrived looking healthy and were a good size. I got an email when they were shipped with an expected arrival date. The packing was good and the shipping price was very reasonable.

I would definitely order from them again.
Positive margaretkorth
Edgerton, WI
June 19, 2007
I recently made my first purchase from Rose Franklin's http://www.butterflybushes.com and cannot emphasize the quality and value enough. I received excellent customer service and the biggest, healthiest looking plants I've ever received through the mail. The packaging was bionic - my plants arrived looking gorgeous and I couldn't believe their size! Every plant arrived in fantastic condition.

After dealing with too many mediocre and sub-standard online/mail order nurseries, even if they all did take lessons from Rose Franklin, I'd still order from Rose.
Positive sayenj
Fenton, MI
May 2, 2007
I cannot recommend Rose Franklin's strongly enough. My plants arrived healthy and in perfect condition. I couldn't have asked for nicer plants had I gone directly to the nursery and picked them out in person and the service was responsive and friendly. I'll definately be shopping with them again!
Positive walker_giroux
Alexandria, MN
April 10, 2007
simply amazing! we were searching a site for info for a research project. this was a beautiful source and it will pay off. dont worry, we will give you credit!

walker
Positive smc1116
Palatine, IL (Zone 5b)
July 27, 2006
I recently purchased some Milkweed and Ironweed. I have NEVER been more impressed! As others have stated, the prices, the plants, the packing of my shipment was second to none. Rose Franklin EXCEEDED everything! The order was shipped before the due date, it was delivered before the due date. The plants were superior in condition and size and all at a great price. I will continue to shop with them.
Positive Kleff
Mount Kisco, NY
June 19, 2006
Very helpful. Very flexible. Very nice people.
Positive cindistraughn
Siler City, NC
May 13, 2006
I don't remember quite how I found her website this year, but I am sure glad I did! I've already placed a second order this year and will definitely order her plants again. Her plants are healthy and packed to survive shipping. I am impressed with the overall quality. Better than any previous place I've ever ordered from.
Positive Chels
Highland Park, IL
May 11, 2006
Great prices. Great packing. Plants were packed with care and arrived fresh. I ordered three eryngium sea holly plants and am quite satisfied. Not twigs or scrawny plants, but fresh looking, growing plants.
Positive Staphord
Oxford, MA
May 4, 2006
The plants I recieved were true to name, the order was shipped complete, no back orders. The plants themselves looked like they had been just potted the soil was still very moist. You could actually see the care that had been given in packaging and potting of my plants. I have been gardening for many years and use many mail order companies. I have never seen more healthier looking plants and shipped so meticulously.
Positive SusanK
Commerce Township, MI
May 11, 2005
My brother purchased some perennials for me and they arrived in perfect condition. Their packaging was done with thought and care to the plants. I've never seen perennials arrive so healthy by mail. The roots were established, yet not rootbound in the containers. The plants were very healthy and I couldn't wait to plant them out in the garden.
Positive indygardener
May 28, 2004
I placed an order for dictamnus plants in May. The order came in within a week and they looked fantastic. The service and the prices are terrific.
Positive Ruthie52
October 28, 2002
Most of the plants that I ordered came okay. Last Spring of 2002 was awfully wet in the Northeast and the Cleome that I received could not be planted right away and did not plant very well at all. It is tough to buy plants thru the mail but if you want something different --than go for it.
I don't think a regular nursery has some of the different butterrfly plants like the ageratum or the ironweed. Basically you just have to see what happens. The plants are all wrapped well and come on time. So I would recommend the plants.
Positive WCMozart
October 28, 2002
Many thanks for terrific service -- ordered numerous plants last spring -- they came as promised -- on time and in excellent shape

-Walter