The scoop on 'Fragrant Fields'

Fragrant Fields

Dongola, Illinois 62926 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-635-0282

Comments:

Positive snowboundfarm
Winterport, ME (Zone 5b)
May 27, 2012
I placed an order with these folks about a month ago. All of the plants were very well packed, clearly labeled and arrived healthy. The description of their black stem peppermint plants on their website is what prompted me to try them. My plant had an exceptionally nice scent and their description of it was certainly accurate. All of my plants are growing vigorously in my garden. I am very pleased with my entire order and will certainly be ordering from them again.
Negative cweldon12618
Tyler, TX
June 19, 2011
Expensive charge for shipping and I must say the plants were packed very well except several plants were dead when I got them and several others died soon there after.
Three of the labels had come out of the plants and so I do not know what type of mint I now have......
Positive GardenMouse
Mahomet, IL
June 11, 2011
Plants were much bigger than I expected, and arrived in perfect condition (granted, I'm just a couple of hours upstate). The packing job was great. Yeah, shipping was a little on the expensive side, but it was worth every penny for the plants to arrive completely undamaged and in perfect condition. I found the shopping experience to be very analogous to ordering from Annie's Annuals: pricey once you've figured in shipping, but worth it.
Positive stemy
Fort Mill, SC
October 14, 2009
Very positive experience ordering alpine strawberries from this company through Ebay. The strawberries were very carefully packaged beautiful plants.
Positive rainflecks
Volga, WV
April 29, 2009
Super fast shipping. The plants I got were better than the ones pictured on the website! I ordered a black butterfly bush from them and it was three times the size of the one I got from Michigan Bulb Co. Will do biz again! Love the huge variety of mints!
Negative BeeLady12
Dallas, TX
March 15, 2009
Terrible. Just terrible. Don't waste your money. I've bought from them a couple of times and was dissapointed both times.
Negative Goodswell
Campbell, TX
October 31, 2008
I was hoping to get nice herbs from what I've read here on the watchdog. At first I thought the prices were reasonable, until I saw the shipping costs! But, I went on with my purchase as planned.

When I got my package I was NOT happy. The plants weren't packed well, and they were leggy. The box only took a few days to get to me, but when I opened it it smelled like ROT.

Disgusting. Waste of time and money. After re-reading the watchdog posts I decided it wouldn't be worth it to even TRY to get a refund. I'll spend elsewhere next time and I advise anyone else to do the same.
Positive lindachip
Palm Bay, FL
October 10, 2008
received my order promptly, packed well, and plants
very healthy. price was right and will definitely order
from them again.
Positive kraybrower
Whitehall, MT
October 1, 2008
Even this late in the season (October), when mint is usually leggy and tired, I received very vigorous, well-rooted plants with healthy foliage, and most were far fresher and "younger" looking than I could believe for fall plants. All looked well-hardened and ready to go straight into the garden, not like over-pampered greenhouse plants. What a great selection of hard-to-find mints!
Positive Catssdawg2
Whitesboro, TX
August 30, 2008
Sent better plants than I ordered - I had ordered a 6 pack of Black & Blue salvia & they sent very nice 3"potted plants about 6" tall instead due to the fact that the cell packs I had ordered got fertilizer burn over the weekend & she said the didn't look to hot so they substituted w/ the 3" at no extra charge to make sure my order arrived promptly as promised. I have nothing but nice things to say about this company - promptly answered all e-mails,packaged plants well & shipped fast & nice healthly plants ready for the garden - couldn't ask for more to make me happy w/them & confident to do business w/again in the future.
Positive operabuff
Saint Paul, MN
August 19, 2008
I've ordered plants from Fragrant Fields twice now, and both times I received well packed, extremely healthy looking plants that did very, very well after I planted them in my garden. I have ordered plants from on-line catalogs fairly often, and the plants I've gotten from Fragrant Fields were the best, healthiest plants I've ever had delivered. I love their selection of herbs.
Neutral jerrica24
Sodus, NY
July 20, 2008
This topic came up on the gardening message board I am on. After reading the comments from Fragrant Fields a few questions immediately come to mind:

1. If this company knows that their products look awful and don't ship well during this time of the year, why don't they delay shipments until they have plants that look nice and weather that is more agreeable?

2. If their policy is to either keep their plants or ship them back, why don't they just say that on their website?

3. They may be a small company, but a lot of us are small buyers. I saw the prices on their site, and while they seem reasonable - the shipping is really high! It makes your order cost twice as much, so I can understand why anyone would be pretty put off by getting plants that look like those pictures.

Reviews like this are the nature of the game, Fragrant Fields. If it's a problem for you then you shouldn't send...well...things that look awfull
Positive lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA (Zone 7b)
June 25, 2008
i got my order today and i am amazed at the quality of their plants! i orderded them late friday afternoon and got them today....wednesday. they were packed great still moist and not a bit of dirt out of place. these are the only mints i have ever received that werent all wilted. this is by far the best company i have ordered from! i will definetly order more!
Company representative comment on July 19, 2008:

On Jul 18, 2008 10:42 AM, Fragrant Fields added:

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you are happy with your order.

fragrantfields.com

Positive petit_potager
May 6, 2007
Fragrant Fields opened in the mid 70's selling cooking herbs to Chicago area restaurants. They stock kitchen garden annuals and perennials such as French (not Russian) tarragon as well as variegated, golden and purple sages that can prove difficult to source. They also stock the elusive Patchouli, and guarantee their plants 100%.
Positive salachan
West Frankfort, IL
January 7, 2007
i have purchased from them for years and taken lots of plants to florida on the plane and they are still thriving down there. i used to visit when they were in the mule barn. i am now back in illinois and will be buying lots of things to put in my new country gardens.
Positive bbinnj
West Orange, NJ (Zone 6a)
July 13, 2006
Ordered 1 chocolate mint, 1 Kentucky Col. mint, and 1 French tarragon on 7/5/06. Prices are very reasonable, website is nice, shipping what you expect for living plant, not outrageous, fair. Plants arrived today, well-packed, received shipping notice ahead of time. Only comment is that the chocolate mint is a bit leggy, but it is late in the season for it. So it got a haircut already. All three are in the herb garden. Looking forward to those mint juleps.
Positive darmadoll
Paradise, TX (Zone 8a)
June 18, 2005
Healthy plants, great prices, appreciated extra discount given for mint for davesgarden members,quick shipping and great email communication. Will definately buy from again!
Positive tracyrae
Gresham, OR (Zone 8a)
June 17, 2005
Very happy with the plants I received. Will absolutely purchase from them again.
Positive Mobi
Denver, CO (Zone 6a)
June 16, 2005
Excellent plants, large and healthy. Very pleased with their prices and plants.
Positive Joan
Belfield, ND (Zone 4a)
June 16, 2005
Healthy, large, well packed plants. I will definitely order from this company again.

Positive BassetMom
Torrance, CA (Zone 10a)
June 15, 2005
Easy to use website, great selection. Package was well shipped and plants were nice and big, both established root systems and leafy tops. Excellent purchasing experience! I will definitely buy from them in the future!