The scoop on 'Viola Valley Wildflowers'

Viola Valley Wildflowers

Viola, Tennessee 37394 (United States)

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark June 2011: "The domain name expired on 06/04/2011 and is pending renewal or deletion." If anyone has a status update on Viola Valley Wildflowers, please contact the Garden Watchdog editors.

Company Comment, posted on March 14, 2008:
Important information on planting Wildflowers & Ferns:

Please keep in mind that most wildflowers and ferns do not require any of these fancy plant foods or fertilizers. Just think, in the woodlands who takes care of them out there. Keep in mind we only send Top Qualtity Wildflowers & Ferns that are low maintenance for many returning BLOOMING years of these beautiful perennials.

Our plants come to you bareroot; packed in peat moss. We hand select, count and label each package. We put our TLC into our Plant root, bulb and rhizome selection NOT the fancy labels you see so many of the Larger chain Prepackaged plant root companies.

Plant as soon as possible. It is important to keep the roots cool and moist while you are waiting to plant. If you cannot plant right away, store in refridgerator (34-38 degrees) or in a dark, cool place.

Site Preparation & Planning:

Remove all weeds and grasses-existing weeds compete with new plants for water, sun and nutrients. A more natural appearance will be achieved if plants are grouped by species or scattered randomly as opposed to planting in rows. Large plants need spacing of 1-2 ft apart, medium need 1 ft, and smaller need 6-12 inches. plant just below surface with the bud side upright position.

Planting Time:

Planting time best on an overcast day and cool. If you plant in full sun, keep the plants in shaded area or in bucket with some water-this is especially important with fiberous roots.

Watering:

It is best to water your transplants as soon as planting as possible. If you are planting in a large area, stop periodically to water what you've planted, especially on warm dry days. If planting in the early spring or in the fall, alot of watering may not be needed. Moist to the touch. If planting april-summer, water thoroughly. Thanks for all your future purchases and previous from viola valley wildflowers. I had one customer that suggested using in her ferns the water gel for her dry area along the woodlands rather than tote the water bucket there. We have seen many use the gel on the roots as it retains, disburses and releases just enough moisture throughout the summer months for optimum performance. Please be sure to email us if you have any questions ever about wildflowers or ferns. We have over 28 years experience. We can only help! ! !

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative octavius8
Pflugerville, TX
April 11, 2012
Purchased from this seller through BluJay website. The email and website for this nursery has been disabled. Seller did not respond to me. Escalated on PayPal to a claim and received a refund. At no point did the seller make any attempts to contact me or paypal. No plants were ever sent.
Negative danmc91
Woodstock, GA
March 19, 2012
I ordered 100 bare root Mitchela repens (partridgeberry) root stock in the fall of 2009. I bought and spread a large amount of topsoil, planted the roots in a 12" x 12" grid and have been carefully taking care of them ever since. This last week the plants bloomed for the first time. At this point it was immediately obvious that I'd been shipped Vinca minor and not Mitchella repens. Ugh. Now I have a 100 square foot area where I have an invasive plant to eradicate. I've also lost a 2 1/2 year planting and care investment.

Mistakes are made but it really stinks when a mistake is made in the species of bare roots.

Negative Eleven
Royal Oak, MI (Zone 6a)
July 12, 2011
I regret that I never left my own negative feedback on the roots I ordered in 2009 because maybe I could have prevented others from the same experience. Not a single "root" grew, even though I watered and watched them for weeks. I was a beginning gardener back then and kept thinking I could have done more to get those sticks to grow.
Negative flamonarch
Largo, FL
July 10, 2011
I am very unhappy with my experience so far with this company. I placed an order with them on May 30, to which they responded with a confirmation. Since then I have heard nothing. No reponse to my several e-mails. Check was cashed but have yet to receive plant or a refund. Not sure if I would do business with them again. Could at least respond to my e-mails.
Negative jasperar1999
Jasper, AR
June 9, 2011
Posted on May 5, 2008, updated June 9, 2011
Very prompt and polite. Plants arrived in excellent condition and are doing well in my garden
On June 9th, 2011, jasperar1999 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I placed an order with Viola Valley Wildflowers on March 31, 2011. I have not received the plants and have not received responses to two e:mail messages I sent them regarding this order. I was very surprised since they were always very responsible in past years.
Negative bellweather
South Lee, MA
June 8, 2011
As with the previous posts I have not received my order placed earlier in the year, or any response or explanation.
I had made very similar orders in both 2009 and 2010 and was very satisfied with their service. I find myself wondering if someone is seriously ill or they have been impacted by tornados or floods
Negative gumper
Hernando, FL
May 25, 2011
I placed an order with this company on March 29th, 2011. A month later they finally responded to an email I sent at their website and said it would ship May 2nd. As of today, May 25th, they have not responded to further emails and phone messages and I don't have my order nor a refund, which I requested.

Don't waste your time or money on this business!
Negative l6blue
Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4b)
May 24, 2011
I made the mistake of ordering from Viola Valley without first checking the reviews (never again); I did it because they offered a plant that was difficult to find. I placed my order on April 12, and the transaction was promptly processed via PayPal. After about 4 weeks I had heard nothing from this merchant, so I attempted to contact them via email. Still nothing. Today I opened a Dispute on PayPal. I'm not holding out much hope for hearing from Viola Valley, but I hope PayPal will at least return my payment to me.
Negative Ramon_
Hackett, AR
May 23, 2011
I ordered from this business on April 1. Ten days later i E-mailed asking if my order had shipped. They responded that it was packed and would ship in the morning. E-mailed on April 20 and on May 2nd that i had not received anything plus numerous attempts at contacting Viola Valley Wildflowers by phone. No response from this business.

Negative wallysgarden
O Fallon, MO
May 19, 2011
Placed an order over a month ago for $40 and have not received any plants or communication from this vendor but my check has cleared the bank.
Negative BruceSemans
Rochester, IL
May 2, 2011
Ordered $173+ of plants in October 2010 that were never sent, they have never responded to any forms of communication, and we never received a refund. They are nothing more than con-artists and criminals. Avoid these scumbags at all costs.
Negative lnord
Cumberland, MD
April 26, 2011
I would love to post a positive experience but can not. This person is over his head and does not know how to run a business. I placed an order late last summer. I constantly got excuses (drought, office break-in, etc.) His email address got full and not emails could get though. Phone was disconnected. Paypal would not answer emails. I gave up. Then I saw on Dave's garden that he had sent an order in Feb. I quickly emailed him to see if I would finally get my order. He said yes but the excuses kept on coming. He said he was working on the order several time; said I would have a shipping number later that day (did not happen.) I had to threaten legal avenues. I finally got the order-7 months after the original; nearly two months after 2nd try. However, there were mistakes on the order. I emailed him about them. No response. I'm sure that he is trying but can't really deal. Do not order unless you want a lot of frustration.
Negative egyptianonion
Wyanet, IL
December 6, 2010
On September 26, 2010, I ordered online several bareroot wildflowers. PayPal the next day charged $46.35 to my VISA account, but I never got any type of confirmation from Mr. Fults. I waited several weeks for delivery, thinking that he might be waiting for the plants to go dormant. As both winter and PayPal's 45-day deadline for registering a dispute approached, I tried to reach Mr. Fults both by email and phone, neither of which made a connection. I then registered a dispute through PayPal, emailing Mr. Fults through PayPal in the process. When he did not reply within 3 days, I raised the dispute to a claim, and PayPal began their process of resolution. After a week or so, knowing that VISA's 60-day deadline for registering a dispute through VISA was also coming up, I registered a dispute through VISA as well. VISA immediately put $46.35 back into my account, pending their own resolution process. Within a few days, PayPal resolved the dispute in my favor and put another $46.35 into my VISA account. Whether there is actually that amount in Mr. Fults' account for PayPal to access is, fortunately, not my concern at this point, as it is up to VISA and PayPal to resolve the money issue between themselves.

Do yourself a favor and not buy from Viola Valley.
Negative TinyRose
Ashley, IL
November 23, 2010
On Oct 12,2010, I placed an order to Viola Valley. They responded by Dmail to let me know amount of order. I sent a check for $20.55. The check cleared my bank on Oct. 19th.

I sent a Dmail on Nov 5, 2010, asking about the status of my order.

As of today I have not received my order nor received any correspondence from them.
Negative pcouton
Ottawa
Canada
November 20, 2010
Posted on April 11, 2008, updated November 20, 2010
Great experience overall. I ordered a large number of a single type of plant, which were delivered very quickly and in great condition. The prices are great too. I'll be placing more orders with them.
On November 20th, 2010, pcouton changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I'm not sure what is going on with this seller. I've placed a number of orders in the past couple of years, and was mostly happy with them. I then placed a large order (about $200 worth of bulbs). I never received them. The owner does not reply to email, and his phone does not seem to work. I have filed a claim with Paypal and will report him to his local authorities.
Negative kenya_1977
Knoxville, TN
November 4, 2010
Posted on November 1, 2010, updated November 4, 2010
Last year I placed two orders with this company. The first order took over a month to get, and communication was poor. I was however excited about my plants and quickly put in a second order with them that was taken care of in a much more professional and timely manner.

On July 4th I placed a 48.25 order with them. I received an automated e-mail on July 10th, so I was hopeful that it would not take long to process my order. I was hoping for the bulbs by someone's birthday on the 25th, but knew that this might be a tight thing for this sort of company. Sure enough the 25th rolled around and I didn't get the bulbs. Eventually the whole order slipped my mind. I just realized here a couple weeks ago that I never received these bulbs and here it is the 1st of November. Any attempt I've made to contact the seller via e-mail has been returned. I've tried calling only to get voicemail and no reply. I've been had for essentially $50. Do not buy from this company, they have turned into thieves! I paid through paypal, but they won't let me raise a dispute with the item given it wasn't an e-bay purchase.. or maybe because it just took me too long to realized I've never got what I paid for. In the three dealings I've had with this company two out of three of them were sour. Bottom line is $0.60 a bulb isn't a deal when you never get the bulb.

Does anyone know of a way to get your money back on a deal like this???
On November 4th, 2010, kenya_1977 added the following:

I decided to contact Paypal customer service directly to handle this issue. They had different contact information for Bobby and were able to get a hold of him to verify a refund. I appreciate Paypal for letting me use their muscle past a typical dispute time frame.

I will never order from Bobby Fults again, and warn others not to risk it.
Negative KYWoman56
Shepherdsville, KY
October 21, 2010
Ordered on Sept. 18, 2010, PayPal payment was processed. No order no communication. Called twice, got answering machine but no reply. Emailed twice got nothing. Only when I said I would be disputing PayPal charge did I get an answer....answer said it would be shipped on Monday, Oct. 18. It's now the 21st....I got nothin'.
Took my money, didn't communicate, got nothing. PayPal dispute is my only recourse. Bobby has not acted in any kind of professional manner and I have no confidence that I will ever see anything from his company. I've tried and tried to get this worked out but when he doesn't answer the phone or respond to email, then the problem is clearly on HIS SIDE. Bad actor, that Bobby is....
Negative mjrice
Atlanta, GA
October 4, 2010
I placed an order through Viola Valley's website on September 3 and got an immediate response from PayPal, which promptly charged my credit card. That's the last I've heard. No order confirmation from the company and nothing telling me when my order will be delivered.
I e-mailed the company address provided on the PayPal message, contacted the company via the Dave's Garden website, contacted the company via its own website and called and got an answering machine. I suppose they might be waiting to ship until they think the weather is appropriate for planting, but how hard would it be to e-mail or phone me and tell me that? Just contacted them again through Dave's Garden. Thank goodness I didn't spend a lot of money.
Negative rabbitfighter
Oconto, WI
August 6, 2010
Posted on July 30, 2010, updated August 6, 2010
Posted on July 28, 2010, updated July 30, 2010
Posted on July 24, 2010, updated July 28, 2010
Posted on July 20, 2010, updated July 24, 2010
What a scam. I ordered $200 worth of bareroot plants back in January with an April ship date. As of July 20, I have not received any plants, any refund or any explanation. I have sent numerous emails and they have apparently all been ignored. Have contacted the Warren County, TN sheriff's department (I warned Mr. Fults I would do this) recently and I am waiting to hear back from them. Buyers beware. I wish I would have read this thread before making my purchase.
On July 24th, 2010, rabbitfighter added the following:

I have (as soon as I read their rebuttal) sent Viola Valley Wildflowers my true name, shipping address, a copy of the email confirming that they received payment (willing to also mail them a copy of the cancelled check) and another copy of my order. If they truly have tracking on every order, this should be cleared up within the week. I think, however, we all know what's truly going on. Nobody here at Dave's Garden is out to get them. I can 100% assure you I never received my order, and I surely would not be in contact with their local sheriff's department if I was making this up. It was the lack of any communication from them whatsoever which prompted me to take that action. But as I stated to them in my response email, I will still change this rating if they make good on my order, as I still want the plants.
On July 28th, 2010, rabbitfighter added the following:

Does anyone actually believe this???? I have indeed talked to and returned the calls to the Warren County sheriff's department. Unfortunately, some of us have to work for a living and can't sit around the house answering the phone all day. The very friendly officer let me know that Mr. Fults reshipped the order. I apoligized for taking two whole days to call back, as today was my first day off from work. The very kind officer made absolutely no mention to me about any counter file or reclamation or seeing any emails from me with viruses attached. Whether they called during a storm or not is unknown to me and has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I email hundreds of people monthly, and only the emails going to Mr. Fults have viruses attached. I find this extremely hard to believe. This is the same excuse he just used here not so long ago. Does anyone see a pattern emerging. Also, might I add, Mr. Fults has not, and I assure you all, will not send me the tracking number from the supposed original shipment, because it was never shipped. I am to blame for sending a check, which, might I add, I asked and got the clearance from him to do, in advance, due to a bad experience with PayPal. Mr. Fults is doing nothing but blaming everyone from me to USPS for this problem. Why, Mr. Fults, if this was lost in shipping, is this my fault? I received an extremely nasty email from him with the tracking number for my order (second shipment???) and yet he complains about mine? After three months of being ignored, yes one does tend to get kind of frustrated. I stand by my word, and even if I'm satisfied with the "second shipment" of this order, I will not change this rating. Ever.
Lastly, what courtesy package???
On July 30th, 2010, rabbitfighter added the following:

Two simple things.

1. If you look on their own website, in the ordering section, there is a phone number and e-mail for people who wish to order by check or money order. Now they only accept PayPal???????????

2. To prove Mr. Fults is full of manure. The software package and firewall on will not allow any file, folder or e-mail to exit my computer with a virus attached. Further MSN / Hotmail has a built-in scanner. Everything sent has to be able to be scanned (you cannot even send a zipped folder), and no mail with a virus or unscannable attachment can leave my system. I WILL ask the sheriff's department about this when next in contact with them.

I am still waiting for my "replacement order", or as I like to call it, my original order, to arrive. Should be here today... I can assure you someone (I have to work) will be here to receive it, as it is to be 87 F and about 95% humidity. Will let you all know the quality of the contents when it arrives. Just bought new batteries for my digital camera... just in case.
On August 6th, 2010, rabbitfighter added the following:

Received order now four months late. Nine items (of 5 roots each) were missing, 5 of them were substituted, 4 were just missing. There were extra of a few items and less than 5 of several. Several bags of roots were molded beyond salvageability, and several were also extremely dried out. These I do not hold out any hope for. Most of the order consisted of healthy bareroot plants, all soaked and planted (except moldy ones) as soon as possible in proper site with care. I will be keeping my fingers crossed and hoping they grow. I languished and soul-searched long and hard about changing this rating to neutral, as the order was mostly good quality plants, in the end I cannot do it. After basically being called a liar and having numerous accusations (all unfounded and unproven) hurled at me I won't change it. I am still waiting for the tracking number of the parcel they swore they shipped in April to my address....
Company representative comment on July 28, 2010:
On Jul 22, 2010 12:33 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

We have tracking on every order. Please contact me immediately concerning what your true name is ect.... So we can look the tracking up and get this cleared up....

On Jul 28, 2010 12:49 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers added:

And we have been visited by the wonderful warren county sherrif and we showed him the entire order that was shipped out on the 19th of april. Looking for an order back from 7 mths ago is no easy task and trying to operate a reputable business and wasting tax payers time, the decision was we have filed with usps to see if this customer did receive, also to file a counter claim if that is the case and we even shipped a whole new order to this customer. If he just emailed at bbfults@blomand.net without a virus that our spam blocker keeps picking up/we wouldnt be here right now. I have the blocked emails if anyone would like to see the filtered emails so they know that we are taking a great risk responded and excepting these emails..... We had to have the law out here just to sit and chat, they even called during a lightning storm and this customer still has not returned even the officers call..........We have now shipped another to satisfy but I will tract the other package down to be sure we get rectified for our loss. We dont mind losing the flowers but the shipping rate for this order and police showing up when they clearly were looking to achieve negative impact on viola valley and as well on daves garden ect..... I feel bad for any further sellers that have to go through this unneccessarily! we have the proof of both shipments and also the law does, Obviously we did our job twice over, im sure this is not over with as the horrible emails recieved, false internet fraud claims all came through UNWARRANTED and we even sent a courtesy package when usps obviously didnt do their job, I will get the package back if its the last thing I do and submit photos on daves when I do to see its obviously sitting somewhere in our horrible usps system. AND WE GET THE BLAME FOR ALL OF THIS.

On Jul 28, 2010 12:53 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers added:

As you can see by the dates above and we showed it to the law as well, this customer was responded to asap and his email does have a virus.......I just sent two more emails and using usps.com website to submit tracking as well. I have to protect such viruses from my email system and posting on daves was the one safe correspondence we got from him and we addressed the issue. THat is why we only use paypal. A safe trading place to submit , add tracking and be sure the orders are absolutely accurate so check/mail in payments arent turned on us 7 mths later

Negative shadedriven
Copake, NY
July 27, 2010
Posted on July 6, 2010, updated July 27, 2010
This company has the worst performance of any I have experienced in 22 years of gardening Using the required Pay Pal (which has it own poor dispute resolution) I paid $216.53 in May for 335 bare-roots for my newly established 1/2 acre woodland garden. After 7 weeks I have neither my roots or a response to some 6 e-mails (other than the initial payment confirmation on the day of PalPals' payment) about their arrival. Now that the NE has a record July wave (97 F), it will not be possible to plant in the woodland and keep such a large number widely dispersed root moist. The owner Bobby Fults neither responds to pleadings or threats (a Negative on this site). Can someone verify if they are still in business? I plan to take action with Pay Pal claiming a refund if I do not get a response from Mr Fults within a two days.
On July 27th, 2010, shadedriven added the following:

Eleven weeks after my order went in and 9 weeks after Mt Fults claimed to have shipped my order for 325 bare roots the products arrived. The only time I have received communications from this company is on my original order in May, secondly when I opened a dispute with Pay Pal, and finally when I made a chargeback on my Amex Card when Pay Pal was not opening a claim on my dispute. It seems clear that when threatened with loss of payment, Mr Fults suddenly finds he receives e-mails and responds to them. Because I have received everything I ordered, I have agreed to remove the chargeback and Pay Pal Dispute as well as adding to my DG posting. I considered changing my rating to neutral but almost 3 months chasing this order has wore me out. Further receiving bare roots fro planting in June with temperatures in the high 70 to low 80's is one thing, but getting them 3 days short of August with temperatures ranging from 95 to 103 is quite another. Mr. Fults claims that this is a good season to plant in and only minimum watering is necessary, but only next Spring will tell if these roots have survived. At that time I may reconsider my rating
Company representative comment on August 16, 2010:
On Jul 6, 2010 4:23 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

We are absolutely still in business. Paypal just sent us a deferred case email that customer filed. We are immediately looking up the tracking number and it was positively shipped on June 2nd. Customers emails were in the ben lomand spam / security email list. We respond to each and every email even while away and have been so since June 15th even on the road when out of the office and email all from our laptops on the business trips. We are at our slow period where all are purchasing for spring 2011 enjoyment. I had no way of knowing this customer has been contacting me when the emails are blocked. I just emailed the customer immediately and are contacting usps immediately in the a.m. (post master) Yes, this is how fast we address the issue when it arises.. Follow up in the a.m. We shipped this large order in a usps flat rate box, expecting it to be delivered priority mail 2-3 days. I am working rapidly with the customer even if I have to dig another order and recover the package that obviously if not delivered is still somewhere in our usps system.

On Aug 16, 2010 10:19 AM, Viola Valley Wildflowers added:

Back to square one. Customer, PLEASE CONTACT VIOLAVALLEYWILDFLOWERS as you didnt sign affadavit with paypal and now this is mail fraud recieving these packages. Please contact us asap

On Aug 16, 2010 10:42 AM, Viola Valley Wildflowers added:

Customer cooperating. Finally working directly with customer via phone. :)

Negative buggycrazy
Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b)
July 22, 2010
Posted on July 20, 2010, updated July 22, 2010
Posted on March 30, 2010, updated July 20, 2010
Posted on February 17, 2010, updated March 30, 2010
Posted on April 27, 2009, updated February 16, 2010
I ordered some bulbs last fall, the order was shipped fast, customer service was excellent and many of the little guys are happily blooming now!
On February 17th, 2010, buggycrazy added the following:

I just received another order of mixed plants and bulbs in great shape, despite the post office's attempt to destroy the box (more filler in the box is suggested). Communication was excellent, shipped fast and plants are healthy, although I haven't finished potting them up so far there is a generous supply!
Thank you Viola Valley!
On March 30th, 2010, buggycrazy changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I am very disappointed to change my rating from positive to neutral. While customer service was excellent when I first placed my order I have had no reply to my concerns about the Trillium vaseyi. Well over 50% of them are definitely not vasseyi and I have not had a reply to the email I sent, with all of my ordering info in it. The other items look good, but I won't know what species I have for at least another year for most of them. I think they should not be selling species if what is sent is a mix and they should be sold as a mix.
On July 20th, 2010, buggycrazy changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Just read their rebuttal about responding to each email. You never responded to mine about the mess of mixed species trillium I received, apparently NONE are the species I ordered. I know you got my email since I received emails from you about my order. Evidently this company has good customer service ONLY if there are NO problems. If you can't supply the species you advertise DON"T advertise it. If you can only supply a mixed bunch then call it mixed, lying only works on feebay.
On July 22nd, 2010, buggycrazy added the following:

This was for the most recent order, placed this spring and emailed you as soon as I had a count of what was mostly the WRONG species of Trillium. I too was a seller, I provided decent customer service and did not ignore my customers when there was a problem - which you have done until now. That is why you have earned my negative.
I realize mistakes happen, but you blatantly ignored my emails and I know you got them. I just want other to know they cannot expect to get the correct species or get any service once they have paid.
Company representative comment on July 22, 2010:
On Jul 22, 2010 12:36 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

Members of DG, please see all information above and see all the conflictions in this customers stories. We are at this point just as confused as this customer is stating. If a year later one of 10 doesnt survive, You dont change ratings just because you are not tending to plants years ago. This is truly what DG forum is not about.

Positive mccall8517
Flossmoor, IL
July 21, 2010
First time that I ordered from this company and I was very pleased with their products and services. I would order from them again.
Company representative comment on July 22, 2010:
On Jul 22, 2010 12:34 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

Thanks for the wonderful Post. We have a few that continuesly are changing feedback and also stating they have not received, ripoff ect... We have usps tracking on each order. I hope they contact me with their true contact information so a true rebuttal with tracking will be entered so all will know that we shipped and there is obviously something going on with this daves garden fb forum.

Positive EffieH
Amston, CT (Zone 6b)
May 21, 2010
After I ordered from Viola Valley Wildflowers I read the reviews here and became quite worried about my order. They did not confirm my order until five days later, AFTER I emailed them about getting a confirmation. They sent my confirmation after receiving my inquiry, but then sent another email claiming that they confirmed immediately after I placed my order. After four weeks, with no other contact from them and no sign of my order, I began emailing them with absolutely no response whatsoever. I also called but just got put into voice mail. However, six weeks after placing my order, I received everything, carefully packed and labeled, and it arrived during a nice rainy period when it was left on my porch by USPS (don't know if they planned that or if it was a happy coincidence) my order was complete and the bare roots looked really good, I received exactly what I ordered and what I expected, and they were carefully labeled. After reading the reviews here, I kind of expected a mess, so I was very pleasantly surprised. Planted everything on that same rainy day and am crossing my fingers -- however, for the prices I paid, even if they don't all come up I'll be extremely happy, their prices were WAAAAY less than ANY other online seller of these hard to find plants, so I don't quite understand the disgruntled buyers who are upset that every single plant didn't come up -- I'll come back and update in a few weeks once i see what's coming up . . . but so far, so good!
Negative JTWoodland
Libertyville, IL
May 12, 2010
I ordered plants last year from Viola Valley at a total cost of $100.95. The order was sent incomplete. At the bottom of the original shipping invoice a note was added that five of my plants weren't available but would be shipped at the end of the month. I started emailing and calling them, asking when they would be sent. After I had called several times and sent three emails, they finally responded this May by saying that they resolved this last year. They never sent the missing plants and it sounds like they have no intention of doing so. Having purchased from them before, I was used to occasionally getting the wrong plants, dead plants, or sickly plants. They have now added to this by not even sending the plants and charging me for them. I would suggest using other vendors even if it costs more. I have bought plants from five to ten other online vendors, and this is the only vendor with whom I have ever had this type of problem. Some of the plant material they send is healthy, but you will definitely experience the problems others and I have. Beware!
Positive postoak7
Statham, GA (Zone 7b)
April 5, 2010
Viola Valley's offerings are on the small side. Don't expect to be able to put them out and produce a large robust plant without a fair amout of TLC.

That said, they do offer many species that are difficult to find elsewhere. With proper care, their plants, roots and cuttings can do well.

I'd ordered from them a couple of years ago. Given the prices I was expecting small seedlings or cuttngs and that's what I received. I have not given these relatively tender starts the attention they deserved and thus have had mixed success - my fault not their.

Over the weekend I did have one very pleasant surprise. I was out poking around where I'd put five rattlesnake ferns 18 months ago. As I looked around I spotted one delicate frond sticking out from under some leaved. After a bit more of looking, I found all 5! Didn't see anything of them last summer.
Positive flowerchik1
Guyton, GA (Zone 8b)
April 4, 2010
I was a little worried when I received my violets. The bare roots were a little dried out, but I planted them immediately. They have perked up nicely and are showing signs of new growth. The prices with Viola Valley are very reasonable so I will order more from them and take a chance with the bare roots, but if future items are shipped the same way I will have to limit my purchasing to early spring. It is already so hard on the plants to ship bare root, not to mention our heat here... the combination may kill the plants. Over all a good experience so far!
Positive wandygirl
Brookfield, CT
March 26, 2010
I ordered my plants (rattlesnake plantain, goldenseal) in the fall. They arrived quickly, in good condition. I planted them in 4" pots in a good perennial mix. I kept them in an unheated garage over the winter to protect them from voracious critters. All have emerged and look good. I have one plant that looks like a trillium, which I didn't order. Might be a bonus, or a mis-identified plant, but no matter. A surprise trillium is not something to complain about. I have ordered from Viola Valley several times. I have had plants disappear on me too, but I blame critters or poor conditions, not the quality of the plants. I will continue to order from them with confidence.
Negative pewterpower
Clearwater, FL
July 21, 2009
I ordered maypops on june 7 th and sent check .I was told by g-mail the order would ship after payment received.The payment was acknowledged on June 17th. I noticed the check was debited on JUne 24th..I checked on order on the 28th and was told it went out on the 23rd.of June..I waited patiently and inquired on the 7th of July and was told that she would need my e-mail address to track my order . Okay, so I g-mail her my e-mail address on July 8th and have not received ANY RESPONSE BY G-MAIL or E-MAIL nor has anyone answered my phone calls.....
I am so frustrated because I cannot get anyone to even return a phone call or an e or g mail.....
This is absolutely no way to do business.......
I can understand that things get lost in shipping , or orders get lost, etc but NOT COMMUNICATING WITH SOMEONE WHOSE MONEY YOU ALREADY HAVE DEPOSITED IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE....
SIX WEEKS AND COUNTING.................................
On August 20th, 2009, pewterpower added the following:

I have NOT received any such maypops.HOW could you make such a statement??? If so , I would not be wasting my time trying to contact you .... I have ordered plants from nurseries many times before and have never had this problem.... I would just like what I paid for.....Its now been almost three months... PLease Send My PLants

THanks
On September 16th, 2009, pewterpower added the following:

I still have not received any maypops so I cannot change my rating

Company representative comment on August 18, 2009:
On Aug 17, 2009 11:54 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

Waiting on usps who has your tracking information. You only paid first class shipping rate.........so its between here and there. We are eagerly looking into this. You need to email through daves garden D-mail. I will email you and show you where. There is no g-mail and our email is for paypal payments. Your email was just found in the website catalog request forum which is not a form to use......You email us at bbfults@blomand.net or d-mail at daves as all do and we would address the issue asap

On Aug 18, 2009 5:07 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers added:

Please update. You received these maypops!

Negative CreeksideFarm
Dallas, OR (Zone 8a)
July 13, 2009
I ordered 5 each of 5 varieties from Viola Valley Wildflowers the 1st of May. Sweet William Phlox, Leatherwood Fern, Spotted Wintergreen, Trout Lily and Twin Leaf.

The order came bare root in some very bone dry peat moss. Most of it looked like bone dry black dried up roots initially. A couple things have finally begun to show a little life, but many plants are still as dead looking as the day I opened the box. The ferns are just now barely showing one or two tiny fronds after waiting two months. The Sweet William Phlox finally now a few tiny leaves, so there is some hope for them.

The spotted wintergreen seems to be stuck in limbo. They came as rooted cuttings and being an evergreen already had some leaves on them, but have not put out any new growth in the past two months.

The Trout Lilies have done nothing, I dug the tiny little bulblets up to look at them. They have not put out a root or a stem or anything.

The Twin Leaf are completely dead. They came dried up black roots and still look the same after over two months have gone by. I have potted and kept all of this material watered the whole time.

I E-mailed Voila Valley on the 12th of June to let them know about the plants that did not grow. I even took pictures of the dead plants and attached them to the message. A few days went by, No answer. I E-mailed them again on June 16th, 18th, & 20th. Four tries and not a single solitary response back from them.

Something has obviously gone wrong with this company, It is hard to believe some of the comments that they have posted here in answer to others experiences claiming to "care deeply about their customers" ..... This does not appear to be the case.
Negative fel
Wynnewood, PA (Zone 7a)
July 13, 2009
I made a big order via ebay. At first they sent the order at the wrong time (in winter). Even though the mail dates were in my order and in written correspondence, they gave me a hard time about returning. Finally they allowed me to send the items back, and they resent the plants in April as I requested originally.

I immediately planted everything in the optimal conditions. 95% of the plants never came up. The other 5% came up and then promptly died. (To give you an idea of my typical success with plants, I ordered plants from 3 other mailorder nurseries this year, and out of all the other plants, only one plant failed to thrive. )

Viola Valley is a complete rip-off. Stay away.
On September 20th, 2009, fel added the following:

Viola Valley replied that all my plants have failed. Have they visited my garden? I don't think so. The people who work for this company are clearly unethical, willing to make up lies to excuse the fact that they have a record of selling dead plants. I am considering a Better Business Bureau filing against them.
Company representative comment on July 27, 2009:
On Jul 26, 2009 8:57 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

I have to be honest, this customer ordered and failed to have any success with any other company she ordered from. We have an excellent reputable reputation and if you dont know what you are doing, simply contact the company for guidance.

Positive probichaud
Madisonville, TN
June 22, 2009
Plant stock received in timely manner and healthy condition. In fact, ferns were so healthy that even though our resident wildlife dug up every one of them a few times, all are thriving! I will use again as soon as the weather cools a bit.
Negative abistar
Bridgeport, CT
May 20, 2009
I am very frustrated with the company. I placed a large order and only 2 plants survived. Absolutely everything else just rotted away. even though I planted immediately in pots with good growing conditions, nothing came up. After many weeks (7 or 8) I checked under the soil and there is nothing there. The company says this is normal? I will not order from them again
Negative Nobody
Frankfort, KY
May 13, 2009
So I paid $30.15 on April 20 for puttyroot and crippled cranefly plants. Waited for 10 days, but no mail, reply, etc., so I sent a note. I waited for a few more days, and after two weeks (May 3), I asked about the status of the order. No reply. Then, after a few days, I contacted PayPal to open a dispute. Then, they decided to send a package. I received the package on May 7, and I found Indian pink plants. There was a print out of the order showing it was $21.60. I added a comment to my dispute but PayPal closed the case because it was about not receiving items. I talked to the customer rep at PayPal who is going to contact the company and if there is no response, it will be reported to the FBI. I was somewhat skeptical about the negative feedback, but I guess I was wrong to trust this business.
On May 19th, 2009, Nobody added the following:

On May 19th, I contacted the BBB to file a complaint. Will see what happens. If I do not hear back, there are two more places that PayPal suggested to contact, and I will follow their advice.
On May 25th, 2009, Nobody added the following:

Despite the prompt response from this company on recent cases, I have not heard anything. I also contacted the office of Attorney General a few days ago. I have two more places to file complaint. Will see.
On August 28th, 2009, Nobody added the following:

You gotta be kidding me. It is too bad because the rating cannot be worse than "Negative". I originally posted my negative rating on May 13 after I did not hear back for a while as I mentioned in my posting. Then I contacted the BBB and then the GA of Tennessee. Both agencies claimed that this business did NOT respond or do anything. And out of blue, the company posted on Aug. 4 and 13, long after I moved on. And the guy has a nerve to claim that I had not responded after 9 days. I am just happy that he got bad ratings from both agencies so less people would be tricked into his scheme. If he is so willing to explain, he should have responded to the BBB and the GA office. And since he seemed to like reopen the case, I might as well look into two other agencies that PayPal rep recommended. I may also contact eBay and PayPal. Contacting itself may not do anything at all, but you never know, it might ultimately help them to stop services. BTW, I do have the receipt for Indian pink, and I am very curious how he could explain if I had received the orchids. And the receipt or invoice or whatever has a name of different customer.
Company representative comment on August 13, 2009:
On Aug 4, 2009 1:30 AM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

We didnt start digging indian pink until June. Customer received all orchids.....Check my listings. We dont sell but only in the summer months the indian pink........Honestly this customer is on a rampage and we have invoice, packing slip of contents of package and also tracking to confirm receive. Never heard from her whatsoever via email or phone. Please do what all do and call or email.

On Aug 13, 2009 8:22 AM, Viola Valley Wildflowers added:

Follow up... Still no emails or phone call from
"NOBODY" user name on daves garden.

Negative JiminRingoes
Ringoes, NJ
May 11, 2009
I've ordered from Viola Valley four or five times over the past two years, and been generally happy with their service. Yes, I've received plants other than what I ordered, but that was part of the "grab bag charm" of ordering from Bobby ... and there were always extra plants. Most of the roots, bulbs and rhizomes I've received have been large and healthy. Even some of the ones that seemed weak have come through for me. Unfortunately, my most recent order, paid for in December 2008, has been a major disappointment. The plants were supposed to have been shipped in February, but I haven't heard anything since. My last three e-mails and a voice mail message have been ignored. I was concerned they might have gone out of business, but the Watchdog chatter indicates otherwise. I'd like to resolve this, so I can order again in the future.
Company representative comment on May 12, 2009:
On May 11, 2009 11:39 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

If only we knew who this was, we received a phone call or an email from this customer this issue would have been addressed. Something is surely odd about this feedback. I would ask you email us thru daves d-mail, email address of bbfults@blomand.net or call us at 931-635-3505. Something to start for the search for the package you never received. Never seen this before. We ship to over 5000 customers without a problem but sure as MAY comes every year, we always receive a few with claims of non reciept. We have never received any information of who this is or even in this feedback. Whoever this may be, please contact us so we can simply look up the tracking number. We have proof of all shipments.

Negative daredevil
Niagara Falls, NY (Zone 6a)
May 10, 2009
Based on this company's decent Watchdog rating, I placed an order on March 29, 2009 that amounted to $130.95 via Paypal. I promptly paid the additional $15 for orders over 100 plants after receiving the email request on March 30. The order has not arrived and repeated emails and calls to their answering machine inquiring about the status of my order have been ignored. At this late date, I would accept a full refund of my Paypal payment with no excuse needed to change my rating to neutral.
On May 19th, 2009, daredevil added the following:

Received plants May 13. The Geranium, Stylophorum and Leatherwood ferns had absolutely no growth showing, not even feeder roots, and had obviously been in cold storage. The Vinca minor were the only plants that looked freshly dug. Had they been received 2 weeks from ordering, the April rains may have sustained them. I cannot believe that it rained too hard every day in from April 30 until May 9 in Viola for them to dig the plants (or open the cold storage unit). While I planted them in the woods, it hasn't rained since and no rain is expected for at least a week. With no top growth, plus blowing leaf litter, it is impossible to find the plants in order to water them. Very depressing.
Company representative comment on May 10, 2009:
On May 10, 2009 11:17 AM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

I will add email all received via email at purchase/payment received and also of rain,severe weather explanation. We ship all orders 1-2 weeks from reciept of payment... Your order is out monday? Sad to see.

Positive Debbio
Clarkston, GA
April 11, 2009
I am in zone 7

In March I ordered 2 celandine wood poppies through e-bay from this company. When I received them they were in excellent condition and exceeded my expectations. I planted them and they are doing so well, I am going to buy two more. Prices for multiple plants from this provider is good and shipping is pretty fast. I recommend them for great deals on multiple hard to find woodland plants.
Neutral botanica37
Oakton, VA (Zone 7a)
March 31, 2009
I ordered 2 linden trees through Ebay. Paid through Paypal on March 8 and received confirmation from Viola Wildflowers that their current shipping time is between 1-2 weeks. After two full weeks have passed, I send an email to Bobby checking on my trees. No response at all. Several days later I sent another email, no response again. My last attempt was on Thursday, March 26, through the Ebay system. This time I received a somewhat confusing response that my order was shipped "honestly" that morning. BTW all the emails from Viola Wildflowers seem to be boilerplate and not in any way a personal response. The trees arrived on Monday, they were packaged well, but my concern is that the root system was virtually nonexistant, so I seriously doubt that they will grow. I planted them immediately, as I had the site ready and prepared and now it is wait and see what will happen. Based on this experience I will not be ordering from them again.
On May 10th, 2009, botanica37 changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I followed up with Bobby from Viola about a week ago, just asking how long it will take to see if the seedlings are alive, as so far they just looked like sticks in the ground. The response was immediate shipment of 2 new seedlings, with an email saying that it is very expensive for him to dip the roots in gel and that so far all his customers have the linden trees grow, but me. OK, I truly appreciate him sending me new seedlings (a lot bigger and more branched than the original ones, with lots of roots), I do appreciate him taking on the additional expense to keep his customers happy. It may seem ungrateful on my part, but I didn't ask for new seedlings, I was merely wondering what is a reasonable time frame to see signs of life in the ones I already have. What really bumped me though during the whole communication was the implication that it is my fault that somehow the seedlings didn't grow. To sum it up, it is apparent that he does care about his customers and wants to make sure that they are satisfied with the order, but something is missing on the communication side.
On July 6th, 2009, botanica37 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

One of the 2 trees from the first order finally spotted some leaves and while I am not a tree expert, this is most definitely not a Linden tree. The leaves are long and curvy and from what I've seen, all Linden have small round leaves. When I received the replacement order, I did notice that the stems were dark brown, vs the first 2 who were pale beige, but didn't think much of it. One of the trees from the replacement is growing and it seems that it is a Linden tree, but whether it is a little Leaf linden remains to be seen. So all the hassle and back and forth and being blamed for being a bad customer is not worth it for me and I wouldn't do business with Bobby again or recommend him. And no, I do NOT want any more trees, thank you and this is not a plot to extort any "free" plants. Just an expression of a genuine disappointment.
Company representative comment on April 3, 2009:
On Apr 3, 2009 5:16 AM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

We are deeply concerned for all our customers and reciept of any product that they are not satisfied with. If you would email thru the ebay system, as explained in previous email not thru the payment email address, you would get top priority email response as you did on your last attempt once they shipped. We ship 1-2 weeks from reciept of payment weather permitting. You received the freshly dug order and due to the emailing that you sent incorrectly, our customer service was jeopardized. All that work with ebay with us go directly through the ebay system for a response asap.

Positive catloverrachel
Columbia, SC (Zone 8a)
February 28, 2009
I have ordered several times from Viola Valley. Each time my order was delivered speedily, and with extra plants in my order. Yes, one variety was mislabelled - I got some charming spiderwort in various colors instead of the maltese cross I had ordered. But I know if I had complained, Bobby would do his best to fix the issue. And yes, most are shipped bareroot, which allows VV to keep their prices incredibly cheap. I will continue to order from VV.
Positive NativeSusan
Decatur, GA (Zone 7b)
February 23, 2009
I ordered from the company's website. I was thrilled, because they offer native plants and other plants that I have not been able to easily find. The order arrived promptly with everything packaged in peat moss as they said. Most were bare root, but the rhizomes looked great. The rattlesnake orchid was just beautiful. Their prices seem to actually be a bit low for I got. I have seen similar ferns selling at other companies for five times more. I do understand that it is not a huge chain nursery, so I would expect to be more patient with large orders. Overall a great experience, and I would definitely order from them again.
Negative Eileenb58
Bedford, PA
February 10, 2009
I won several items on Ebay which included 5 Cardinal Lobelia. When I received my order, I discovered that I had only received 3. I emailed the seller and the seller agreed to send the other two. I purchased 2 Crape Myrtles and suggested they put the two Lobelia in the box with the Crape Myrtles. When I received the package, the Lobelia were in there but only one Crape Myrtle. I was thoroughly disgusted and emailed them. They accused me of trying to blackmail them. Never again will I purchase anything from this company and do not recommend them. One would think, that in this economy, a company would do it's best to keep good customers!
Company representative comment on February 11, 2009:
On Feb 10, 2009 10:02 PM, Viola Valley Wildflowers responded with:

We have in one months time dealt with over 500 customers completely satisfied. We did ship the first time 5 red cardinal, she emailed once she received the package. We were persistent in stating to her she was our ABSOLUTE first customer of the 2009 new year that purchased when the ebay store re-opened and the only 5 cardinal we dug, packaged and shipped. She insisted 3 of us were incorrect so we stated we will send 2 more but in fact we sent 3 and she wanted to purchase more. She purchased two crape myrtles. We shipped slowly, carefully two crape myrtles and YES, 2 red cardinal and was sure to send "3". Yes, an extra of them although we already sent them the first time around. We blocked her on ebay as we have never seen a customer continuely return for more and more and more. We are concerned with each and every customer of ours but we are not sending more free stuff to just one customer over and over. It had to stop somewhere. I am sure all understand. Email me if you have any question. Just because the economy is the way it is, doesnt mean a company should fall victim to a buyer wanted everything for free. We honestly sent all in the package. Maybe the carrier is planting a garden. I dont know where they are going but for all my customers that are 100% satisfied but this one customer each time, no one can possibly imagine taking such abuse. We spoke to trust and safety and this is why we blocked her. My apologies, but all is stated as a fact and the absolute truth here at viola valley.