The scoop on 'Boyd Nursery Company'

Boyd Nursery Company

Boyd Nursery Company has 18 products listed in PlantScout.

McMinnville, Tennessee 37111 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Company Comment, posted on August 8, 2007:
We are a 4th generation family nursery.

Comments:

Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
July 2, 2012
I purchased a combo of 5 'Sweet Thing' magnolia in late may. These arrived about two weeks later and are rooted cuttings as advertised.

However, I was distraught with the packaging. The plants were placed in plastic sandwich bags with some soil and weren't even secured with a rubber band or tape at least. Not even wadded up newspaper to keep them from bouncing around in the box. The boxed arrived soggy and really damaged because of the moisture from the soil that had fallen out from the bags. Other than that, the plants are doing fine now almost two months later. These sweetbay magnolias are pretty hardy and can take a lot of abuse.

Please put more care into the packaging please.

Cons: poor packaging
Pro: received an extra plant, thanks!
Company representative comment on July 3, 2012:
On Jul 3, 2012 12:21 PM, Boyd Nursery Company responded with:

Thank you for your input. I had the fellow that packed your order read your comment. He has been chastised for his failure to pack your order correctly. The box was supposed to be cut down to fit the order and paper added to restrict the movement of the plants during shipping.

F.C. Boyd III

Positive TNTurtle
Chattanooga, TN
September 13, 2011
Posted on April 2, 2011, updated September 13, 2011
On Sunday, Feb 27th I ordered a lot of 100 bare root Allegheny Spurge (Pachysandra procumbens) online. A confirmation email arrived Monday and the order arrived on Thursday, just in advance of a winter storm. With 3" of rain I couldn't plant that week-end so I made sure the roots were moist and weIll packed in damp newspaper. I protected that with a zip lock (with the tops sticking out), put them back in their shipping box and into the fridge. It was just over two weeks before I could plant them, due to weather and previously made plans. They've been in the ground two weeks now and I've been watching for any sign of life. I've now seen two small green shoots! I would have given a Positive rating either way but I'm especially pleased that the roots survived the two weeks in the fridge.
On September 13th, 2011, TNTurtle added the following:

As an update to my previous comments. Nearly 90% of the roots sprouted. This summer was a tough one with such a long drought. I did some supplemental watering but the ground was dry and hard much of the time. The young plants never wilted or showed any signs of stress. I am quite happy with my purchase and am looking forward to seeing them fill in over time.
Positive cnordloh
Cincinnati, OH
May 11, 2010
Groundcover arrived in beautiful shape and was better than I had hoped for. Plants were bigger and better than I thought they would be. Would definitely use again