The scoop on 'Boyd Nursery Company'

Boyd Nursery Company

Boyd Nursery Company has 18 products listed in PlantScout.

McMinnville, Tennessee 37111 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook
This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Company Comment, posted on August 8, 2007:
We are a 4th generation family nursery.

Positive rkyle
Murfreesboro, TN
November 1, 2015
Boyd's was helpful in selecting an appropriate ground cover. The plants were delivered right to the front porch. The plants were healthy and are thriving. I would heartily recommend the Boyd Nursery.
Positive joy2you
Signal Mountain, TN
June 29, 2015
We ordered 1000 vinca minor plants from Boyd Nursery. This is such a nice company. You can tell they are a family-run nursery by the personal interest they take in your order.

We received a couple of calls about our order and then one telling us the plants were on their way! The plants arrived in great shape, packed well. And the plants themselves are very nice--good size and healthy. The price was good too.

Amazingly, we got all of them in the ground in two days and the area we put them will soon be green and beautiful! THANK YOU Boyd Nursery! Warmly, Tim and Carolyn
Positive bkissee
Brentwood, TN
April 11, 2015
Easy to purchase vinca minor clumps. Got them a few days after I placed the order . Good quality plants and well packed. I believe that this was a good value . Will order from them again .
Negative kay18fan
Santa Fe, TX (Zone 9a)
March 2, 2015
Unfortunately, I never received my order. I am very disappointed, because i really wanted these plants. In the two months since my payment was processed, I contacted Boyd's twice with inquiries, and a third time with a refund request. The first was responded to in several days with a promise to get my plants out the next week. The next inquiry, a couple of weeks later, was unanswered. Thankfully, when I requested a refund, it was granted. I am sure these are nice folks, but if you actually are interested in receiving your order, check elsewhere.
Company representative comment on March 10, 2015:
On Mar 10, 2015 7:46 AM, Boyd Nursery Company responded with:

I would like to respond to your rating. I wish that I could have all the plants that I have advertised available 100% of the time, but a nursery has to work with Mother Nature at all times or the plants (and our reputation) will suffer. When our nursery sends plants out, we try to do so under conditions that provide the best chance of survival and continued good growth. It is my fault that I was not able to ship your order in a timely fashion. Your order was placed on 1/8/2015. At that time, I only had the tree seedling portion of your order in our barn. Because we were having weather conditions that would prove detrimental to plant survival, we could not safely dig the plants necessary to complete your order immediately. Due to a temporary health problem, I was unable to utilize the few days of suitable weather before the ice storms and extended freeze hit our area. This extreme cold affected a good portion of the United States, and it was my fault that I did not properly communicate to you how it could affect your order. The first Ice storm took down our electric service at our office. The extreme cold meant that any orders shipped would have likely frozen and perished in transit. When we finely had our power restored, we saw your request for order cancellation and refund. We promptly refunded your payment. I also called and explained this to your husband since you were not available.

Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
July 2, 2012
I purchased a combo of 5 'Sweet Thing' magnolia in late may. These arrived about two weeks later and are rooted cuttings as advertised.

However, I was distraught with the packaging. The plants were placed in plastic sandwich bags with some soil and weren't even secured with a rubber band or tape at least. Not even wadded up newspaper to keep them from bouncing around in the box. The boxed arrived soggy and really damaged because of the moisture from the soil that had fallen out from the bags. Other than that, the plants are doing fine now almost two months later. These sweetbay magnolias are pretty hardy and can take a lot of abuse.

Please put more care into the packaging please.

Cons: poor packaging
Pro: received an extra plant, thanks!
Company representative comment on July 3, 2012:
On Jul 3, 2012 12:21 PM, Boyd Nursery Company responded with:

Thank you for your input. I had the fellow that packed your order read your comment. He has been chastised for his failure to pack your order correctly. The box was supposed to be cut down to fit the order and paper added to restrict the movement of the plants during shipping.

F.C. Boyd III

Positive TNTurtle
Chattanooga, TN
September 13, 2011
Posted on April 2, 2011, updated September 13, 2011
On Sunday, Feb 27th I ordered a lot of 100 bare root Allegheny Spurge (Pachysandra procumbens) online. A confirmation email arrived Monday and the order arrived on Thursday, just in advance of a winter storm. With 3" of rain I couldn't plant that week-end so I made sure the roots were moist and weIll packed in damp newspaper. I protected that with a zip lock (with the tops sticking out), put them back in their shipping box and into the fridge. It was just over two weeks before I could plant them, due to weather and previously made plans. They've been in the ground two weeks now and I've been watching for any sign of life. I've now seen two small green shoots! I would have given a Positive rating either way but I'm especially pleased that the roots survived the two weeks in the fridge.
On September 13th, 2011, TNTurtle added the following:

As an update to my previous comments. Nearly 90% of the roots sprouted. This summer was a tough one with such a long drought. I did some supplemental watering but the ground was dry and hard much of the time. The young plants never wilted or showed any signs of stress. I am quite happy with my purchase and am looking forward to seeing them fill in over time.
Positive cnordloh
Cincinnati, OH
May 11, 2010
Groundcover arrived in beautiful shape and was better than I had hoped for. Plants were bigger and better than I thought they would be. Would definitely use again