The scoop on 'Brighter Blooms Nursery'

Brighter Blooms Nursery

4808 Campobello Dr.
Monroe, North Carolina 28110 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-399-9514

This company is affiliated with Empress Tree Nurseries (aka Fast Growing Trees, Paulownia Supply & fastgrowingtree.com)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive ryanpre
Jackson, NJ
July 30, 2014
I have ordered from them 4 times in the past 6 months, including fruit trees and ornamental shrubs. Trees and shrubs were all very healthy and had strong root systems, unlike some other nurseries I have purchased from that ship bare root trees. Additionally, they correctly measure their trees and indicate what root stock it's on, which is important to understand maximum size, growth rate and disease resistance. Very importantly, their customer service team is fast, friendly and helpful. On two different occasions, they have resolved issues in a very ethical manner, most recently when I received a 3-in-1 Apple tree that was actually supposed to be 4-in-1. They are sending me a free replacement due to their error. Highly recommend this nursery and will continue to do business with them!
Positive graham072442
Lynn, MA
July 17, 2014
Posted on July 14, 2014, updated July 17, 2014
Posted on July 14, 2014, updated July 14, 2014
Posted on July 13, 2014, updated July 14, 2014
I just found this website or I would have posted much sooner. In February, 2012, I purchased 2 Windmill Palms which were listed as hardy in Zone 6. They were delivered in April. I immediately sent an email stating that several of the fronds were dead or dying and others were broken; I received a return email asking that I send photos - which I did, along with BB's requested form for replacement plants or an adjustment. The responding email rejected my request and suggested I "give the plants more time" and consult the planting instructions; the planting instructions had been followed to the letter, however. Well, not only did the plants not thrive, they did not survive even until the winter of that year ('12-'13). Given the complete refusal to make an adjustment or replacement, I didn't contact the nursery further. I left the plants in the ground in the hope that perhaps a root system would develop and they would revive the following year. Because of other priorities, I didn't get around to removing the dead stumps until last month; there NEVER developed ANY roots from the truncated roots that were on the plants when they arrived.

And I'm not sure just WHO or What to blame for the fact that the wisteria "tree" which I purchased a year or so before that has only produced ONE bloom - and that during the summer of 2012.
On July 14th, 2014, graham072442 added the following:

In response to Brighter Blooms' response. if you will search your records further, you will find that on April 23, 2012, I responded to Heather's email with a completed form requesting replacements or credit AND attaching 10 photographs. Sorry, but the ball WAS placed back in your court.
On July 14th, 2014, graham072442 added the following:

Also, the plants were DELIVERED in a damaged condition; they did not deteriorate over a period of time after delivery. I contacted you folks as soon as they arrived. YOU delayed their delivery and the deterioration occurred prior to my receipt.
On July 17th, 2014, graham072442 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I was contacted by Brighter Blooms early this week and given a credit for my full purchase price, as well as some suggestions on how to remedy my wisteria problem. I was provided with assistance in ordering self-polinating cherry trees - no more palms for me - and provided with a store credit for the remaining difference between their cost and my original purchase. The customer service rep said she'd personally select trees for me and throw in a couple bags of root stimulater/organic potting soil and that they should arrive by Friday; in fact they arrived today, Thursday. Both trees appear to be quite healthy and are nicely shaped. My handyman and I plan to plant them this afternoon. I am very pleased and surprisingly shocked that BB has reached out to restore my loss after this length of time. I'll definitely be buying more plants from BB when my next need arises.
Company representative comment on July 15, 2014:
On Jul 14, 2014 3:40 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

I apologize for your frustration. Cold hardy palms rarely have problems. They do, however, produce their fans in the summer. By the time you go through the winter and get all the way to late spring, they sometimes look a little worn. This is natural.

I found an email that our Rep had sent you on April 23,2012. She suggested giving the palms a little time to produce new foliage and asked that if they do not turn around by May 15,2012, to contact us so that we can replace them.

I regret that you feel that we were unresponsive. We should have communicated better. I would like to see if our horticulturalist can help with your wisteria and I would like to learn more about your palms. Please give me a call. Ask for Jackie at 704-644-4490

On Jul 15, 2014 1:49 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery added:

Our customer service manager reached out to the customer today to assist her with questions in regards to her Wisteria tree. She was able to provide suggestions in regards her Wisteria not blooming. We also feel like we came to an amicable solution with the customer in regards to her previous order not being satisfactory and feel like the customer is satisfied with the outcome.

Positive jennwv11
FALLING WATERS, WV
July 15, 2014
I purchased a bare rooted standard tree lilac from BB back in May. I was a little hesitant because my neighbor had a bad experience with Fast Growing Trees and had let me know BB is part of FGT. I wanted a tree lilac for while but my local nursery always seemed to have a hard time keeping them in stock so I ordered my tree and when it arrived I immediately soaked it in a clean bucket over night. I planted it, mulched, and gave it a good soaking. I watered twice a day until leaves came out which took about 3 weeks. I fertilized once a month since planting it and it is doing great. I also trimmed it to make it look tidy after it finished blooming. I didn't get many blooms but I think it will get more blooms next year. I am satisfied overall with the service I received and the quality of my tree lilac. I would buy from them again!
Positive beb123
Long Branch, NJ
July 2, 2014
I placed my order and then read some of the negative comments on this site. It was too late to cancel, so I prepared for the worst. I ordered hydrangeas and azaleas and I received healthy plants, packed securely. I received exactly what I ordered, the plants were as big, maybe even bigger than advertised. Everything shipped within 1 business day of my order. I would order again.
Positive dellaplante
Longmont, CO
June 6, 2014
I purchased a large Rose of Sharon tree 5' and a "Lo and Behold Blue chip Butterfly Bush". I noticed the bush was very dry and brittle when I put in the ground. I watered it good but I never got a single green leaf or stem. I emailed.
Kim and Jackie at nursery and told her I was disappointed, with the bush, but realized I waited, too long. They told me to email them a picture and I did. Next thing I know I get an email with their regrets and a notice that a replacement plant would soon arrive. An it did and it's beautiful like their rose of Sharon. I thanked them and they asked me to post this site. WONDERFUL, SELECTION, STAFF AND OVERBOARD SERVICE.
Positive jojogogreen
Ludlow, MA
June 5, 2014
I cannot express how pleased I am with BrighterBlooms. Yes, there were some issues with my orders but it was rectified so well and so promptly that I continued to order. I started by ordering 2x 2 gal pots of Peach Sorbet Blueberries. There was an issue with that order and FedEx sent it back for some reason. When I called CS, I spoke with Sara. Sara had exceptional customer service!! She promptly stated that they sent out a double order and recalled one of them but both went back. I followed the tracking to make sure everything being said was true and it was. Sara then sent out 2 new ones. the PS Blueberries came in beautiful condition. They came so beautiful that I ordered 2 more. The additional order came in beautiful as well! I then ordered a Meyer Lemon and a Clementine. Well, that order was destroyed by FEDEX. They folded the box in half breaking my clementine. Again I called and this time spoke with Jerry and he was fantastic as well as Sara. He requested that I take my photos (I took photos of the delivery and then the damage tree) and forward them over to them which I did. I then called a few hours later and spoke with Haley...she reviewed the photos and was just fantastic with her customer service!! She arranged to send me a new clementine and made sure I knew that if I had an issue with the Meyer lemon, they would take care of that as well. Yesterday I received the Clementine and it is just GORGEOUS! I would do business with them anytime. In fact, I ordered another Meyer lemon because of this. To date I have 2 Raspberry Shortcakes, 4 Peach Sorbet Blueberries, 2 Meyer Lemon (1 on the way), and a Clementine. All seem to be thriving so far Meyer Lemon is still bent over from the shipping but I am hoping she will get straighter with love.

I will say this...I don't trust FEDEX AT ALL. Could it be just the FEDEX in my area? Sure! But, they don't seem to care that it is clearly written all over the box live plants fragile handle with care. I was home each and every time FEDEX delivered and he(they) mishandled each and every box. From now on, I will only order 1 tree at a time because of this. It has a better chance of not being damaged than 2 in a box.

When ordering online (especially LIVE and delicate items) it is a risk. There are challenges and there are mistakes that can definitely be made. Once the plants are out of the company's hand and into the shippers hands, it is even more challenging. My question is how is the company going to handle it? Are they sensitive to my needs...Respecting me and my hard earned money. Kudos to BrighterBlooms.com for taking care of me and making me feel important.

A big thank you to Sara(h?), Jerry, and Haley!! Great Customer service and fast results!! Major assets to BrighterBlooms.com They increased sales because without their wonderful CS, I would have stopped ordering. A big thank you to BrighterBlooms for providing such beautiful specimens!
Neutral rivermare
Lincoln, CA
June 3, 2014
I was really apprehensive about buying from Brighter Blooms. Their ads seem to be everywhere and the mixed reviews were not really helping me decide. I finally triggered some buys on my cart because their prices were reasonable and shipping was free. I ordered 2 vines and a tree. The plastic planters were set on top of each other and the middle one, a vine, did not look to happy being sandwiched between the other two. The vines recovered but do not have a lot of leaf. I could have gotten better price somewhere I am sure but I wanted to try this out. Will not buy vines from them again.
The tree I ordered was broken a foot from the top. I wrote them an e-mail with picture and they sent me a replacement. The replacement looked far from healthy but it is recovering now. At least it wasn't broken.
I may buy another tree from Brighter Blooms again but not any time soon.
I rated neutral because even though the plants were not top quality, customer service was very responsive and that makes for a better experience.
Negative tcampt
New York, NY
May 5, 2014
Posted on May 3, 2014, updated May 5, 2014
My order was bungled and customer service was non-existent. I place an order by phone, asked them to hold off on delivery and scheduled a date to send and receive them at our business location. They did NOT wait to deliver and sent it the following day to arrive on a SATURDAY. I only found out b/c I called to confirm when the salesperson did not follow up with me as promised. Customer service was closed (at 4pm on Friday??!!) so had to ask a salesperson to research this. The new salesperson said he would email me a tracking number, but did not. I had to call a third time (customer service closed again -- they don't work on Saturdays, of course!) and as another salesperson to find the tracking number. Have been on the phone with fed ex all morning who have also bungled the delivery. I just hope the plants are worth it...
On May 5th, 2014, tcampt added the following:

It's two days later and my $300 plant order seems is still in limbo. I spoke with customer service several hours ago and while she apologized profusely could neither understand why the order was sent out when I expressly asked for it to be held, nor could she explain why FedEx was holding on to it and refusing to deliver it. FedEx says I should call the shipper; Brighter Blooms says they're not sure why this is happening. I feel utterly helpless. Still waiting for a return call from customer service, but my plants have now been waiting at FedEx for 4 days w/o a single delivery attempts. I imagine they will be in pretty sad condition. I had such high hopes based on other reviews on this page but this has now become a complete nightmare.
Company representative comment on July 9, 2014:
On Jul 9, 2014 7:57 AM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

During this time we were in contact with the customer and Fed Ex trying to get the product to the customer and to understand why they were not delivered when they were suppose to. Our customer service manager spoke with the customer and assured her we would replace any product that arrived in poor condition due to being in transit for to long. We came to a amicable solution and the customer was satisfied with the outcome.

Positive LiteraryLady
Locust Grove, VA
May 1, 2014
We ordered a lemon tree online. I read reviews about Brighter Blooms Nursery and felt confident in the order. I was particularly pleased with the communications from the Nursery. A lovely woman named Jennifer alerted us when they shipped.

When I sent a generic question about the planting of the tree she was responsive in searching out the answer from the head of the Nursery and giving us the information.

I am truly happy thus far with the personal service we are receiving. The tree arrived yesterday and looks very healthy and in great shape. We are anxious to plant and start harvesting lemons.

Thank you Brighter Blooms and Jennifer for your excellent service.

j young

I will definitely reorder from Brighter Blooms - though the tree looks wonderful, the customer service is absolutely terrific.
Positive Nataliya_P
New York, NY
April 3, 2014
This was not my fist time dealing with Brighter Blooms (BB). I like and appreciate the quality of their plants , which come in the best packaging I've ever seen! The responsiveness and attention to provide the best customer service exceeded my expectations this time around. Personal "thank you" to Jennifer who went far and beyond to make sure my order finds me(not BB's fault). Thank you again for being a great business.
Nataliya
Positive coralsunset
Charlotte, NC
March 5, 2014
Brighterblooms help me alot on a purchase from this past summer of 2013. With the help of their staff I was able to order again on a certain item that did not make the winter and given great advise on their warranty and the plant. I have ordered many of their azealeas and never lost a one. The quality of the plants and the careful way of packaging was top notch. I will continue to buy from their company in the future. Thanks to Jennifer for all of her responses to my email questions and the timely manner they were returned. Keep up the good work.
Positive lynnen12
San Francisco, CA
November 12, 2013
Posted on November 11, 2013, updated November 12, 2013
I am anxiously waiting for my plants to arrive, and I am already having a bad experience with this company. Customer service rep Jamula was not at all helpful in my questions about my order, and I did not appreciate her negative attitude. I had to contact Fedex directly to have my questions answered. I wish I had read these reviews before I placed an order with this company, and I would have chosen more wisely.
On November 12th, 2013, lynnen12 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I just got a follow up phone call from Josh, head of customer service. He was extremely courteous and apologetic, and wanted to work things out. I feel bad that he has to take responsibility for someone else's behavior. He offered to refund me and reship my order so it would arrive when I am home. He heard me out, and was very understanding. Clearly understood that customer support has to support the customer:)
Positive Marketdriven
Garner, NC
October 15, 2013
Eucalyptus and Dwarf Cavandish Banana arrived VERY quick. The Eucalyptus looks great, but concerned the zone was incorrect on the site. Claims 7 is in the region it grows, but 8 on other sites. It can freeze here in my area which this species does not like very well and why the zone 8+. I hope it will do fine considering it is not a small growing plant and doesn't like potting. I will not be able to shelter it when it grows or if it snows. The Banana is a bit brown on its area from the top of the soil up to the green leaves. It looks a little soggy and rotten, but I have never had a banana. I can't wait to pot it and get this one growing too. The eucalyptus had a cute sheet enclosed giving hints on planting and growing. The Banana I will have to find one. They gave me two sites, but the first one doe not have the Banana listed. I will find information on it and get this little one growing and keep it safe from cold. I am happy with billing, discount shipping and speed of shipping and packing. Plants look better than I have seen from other places, but were 59.00 each with a 50.00 discount for buying both. The only other concern I have was a fee I did not pay for a 1 year guarantee. I am not too happy about thinking they will tell me that these things will not be replaced if they die prematurely.
Positive WheresJS
Bronx, NY (Zone 6b)
August 3, 2013
This was my first of hopefully many more orders from Brighter Blooms. I ordered 1 3 gal "Heavenly Bamboo Nandina" 2 2 gal "Firepower Nandina". &"Everything about this experience was great. Starting off with a smooth, easy to navigate website. I also emailed them to ask to have a 1 yr warranty put on my order, they promptly replied and I called to have it added with my credit card #.
They also emailed me with the FedEx tracking #'s, once from customer service and once from when the labels were printed, this was fantastic.
Customer service was great, they were friendly and quick to the point.
My packages arrived, and they were boxed AWESOME. The way the put it together was great, they bag the pot, zip tie the base, once inside the box is another cardboard barrier so nothing moves around.. no dirt in the boxes..

I am a happy customer and will DEFINITELY be deailing with Brighter Blooms again!
Thanks

Joshua
Neutral sonata314
Brockport, NY
July 29, 2013
Posted on June 25, 2013, updated July 29, 2013
My order to Brighter Blooms included 3 Autumn Angel Encore Azaleas and an Endless Summer Hydrangea. The order arrived but two of my azaleas were missing . I called customer service, who told me to call FedEx, who then told me to call customer service back. The two missing azaleas were shipped out, but this time, only one was the right kind. The most disappointing part of my order was the Hydrangea. It arrived with some blooms, but most of the flowers were dead or had fallen off. The plant's leaves fared the same way. The root system may be fine, but I am embarrassed to have such a mess in my garden...and it was not cheap.
On July 29th, 2013, sonata314 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Josh, the BB's customer service manager, contacted me shortly after I posted my review. He was great to work with, and sent replacement plants for the incorrect azalea and the hydrangea. Both replacement plants were in good condition. I changed my rating to neutral because I would definitely shop at my local garden center next time I buy plants. I like being able to look over the plants ahead of time and know that I'm getting the best quality the first time around.
Positive mbstone
Rockville, MD
July 11, 2013
I ordered 18 Nelly Stevens Holly bushes. So far the majority of them are growing very well. I did purchase the 1-year warranty which I encourage everyone to do because it is inexpensive! I have 4 bushes that are on the verge of dying if not dead. I called customer service and was so pleased with how nice they were and literally within 5 minutes of me hanging up the phone, I received a credit for the 4 dying bushes! I just ordered those bushes plus a couple other trees to try out!
Positive brendon1969
Burr Ridge, IL
July 9, 2013
Posted on July 3, 2013, updated July 9, 2013
I have to agree with all negative comments about the Brighter Blooms nursery .I just got my oakleaf hydrangea and plants look horrible .They look sick .Some of the brunches were broken.There is nobody to answer the phone on the costumer service end . It was a big mistake to order from Brighter Blooms I would never order again.
On July 9th, 2013, brendon1969 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After I contacted Brighter Blooms I was pleasantly surprised. Josh have cold me and he was very understanding and helpful .He explain what could have gone wrong with the plants and offer replacement for the damaged plant. he made me feel like they care for a costumer after all.I would be more comfortable to do business with Brighter blooms in the future.For now,I just give my plants extra TLC.
Positive stemmer
Owings Mills, MD
June 25, 2013
I first ordered from Brighter Blooms in April of 2013. Realizing that the order was likely to arrive before I could get my planting helper, I called to ask that the shipment be delayed. Dale was helpful, and scheduled delivery for the last week of April.
The six Sunny Knockout Roses arrived on schedule, and although I was initially dismayed by some difficulty in dislodging all of the heavy copper staples, the plants were certainly well protected, and very well leafed out. I felt confident enough to order again–this time a Knockout Rose Tree. Again I was extremely pleased by the specimen sent; well leafed out. its trunk well supported by a stake, and with small rose buds already set. All the plants are doing well, and I am looking forward with some excitement to seeing the young rose tree in bloom. Although I had never heard of this company beforeI received its advertisement, it now has my full confidence. I am impressed with its service, well-packed shipments and the quality of its offerings, which arrive as well-developed plants, and I will certainly order from Brighter Blooms Nursery again.
Positive MBurket
Salem, NC
June 24, 2013
We could not be more happy with this nursery. We recently purchased four Encore Angel Azalea bushes and received quickly four beautiful healthy plants with excellent packaging. Only a slight problem. When we opened the box they were Encore Autumn Embers Azalea bushes. I notified them and asks what I should do that the wrong plants were sent. Their representative I talked to was very helpful and told us to just enjoy the plants and they would be sending the Angel plants as soon as possible. One week later the plants arrived. Beautiful, healthy, large plants that had blooms and a few flowers. We had never bought plants online but that is the only way now we will buy them and Brighter Blooms is the only nursery we will be buying from. We highly recommend.
Positive janice930
Columbus, MS
June 19, 2013
Posted on June 18, 2013, updated June 19, 2013
I ordered 6 Double Pink Knock Out Roses from Brighter Blooms on 5-16-13 at a cost of $122.20 counting shipping. I received 3 big boxes, roses packed great but they where single bloom. I had already dug up a single bloom rose I had for years that I did not like. I called Brighter Blooms and told the guy that answered they sent me single bloom instead of double. He said "how do you know? I said "because they are blooming". They said to take pictures which I did and sent to them. But they said they couldn't open the pictures. I sent the pictures to a friend and she had no problem opening them. On Friday 6-6 after getting no where with these people, I called and told this girl what am I going to do with these roses, they are sitting in my carport with plastic around them, do you want me to sent them back. She said yes send them back. It cost me $67.74 to send them back. I received the double pink roses the following week. They have not said a thing about refunding me the shipping money. The roses end up costing me $189.94. ----Order ID #1063091
On June 19th, 2013, janice930 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I just got an e-mail from Brighter Blooms and they are sending me my re-fund back. The roses are beautiful and were packed great.
Positive bigcats11
Los Angeles, CA
June 13, 2013
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated June 13, 2013
Posted on May 19, 2013, updated May 23, 2013
Well its a long story so I will make it short. You would be better off buying plants from an abandon nursery or taken from a dumpster than buying from this company. I ordered 4 plants-Bamboo Multiplex and only received two as two got lost. The two I did receive were just about dead. Called the company and was first told you should have reported it and taken photos. Well I did report it and had proof from an e-mail. Then was told to send photos which I had right out of the box. After about a week or so they agreed to send me a credit voucher, no shipping just a credit for the plant only. Even though I didn't pay for shipping originally the replacement should be identically sent. Then I received the two missing plants that were very much alive compared to the original two I got that looked dead. Well having to wait until the credit voucher for (one) was activated which was totally stupid on their part(took a week). Why would they issue a voucher and forget to put it in your system. I saw someone else post the same thing about this voucher problem. Also I should mention their customer service department-not placing orders they are happy to do that, is almost always closed and you can't leave a message(call back later were up to our ears on complaints).
Well stupid me I finally kept calling and got thru to a salesman who said sorry about customer service I think they are just overwhelmed right now. I placed an order for two plants, using the voucher that was now good after a week and buying one more bamboo plant. After two weeks both plants arrived and one is almost completely dead. I am embarrassed from my neighbors who wonder why I would order another one from this same company. I just can't believe that they would employ people who would box up a plant that looked liked mine do. The verbage in the ad says very healthy plant will arrive. LOL not so. I have given up as it makes my blood pressure go up just talking to them.
On May 23rd, 2013, bigcats11 added the following:

Well having planted the almost dead bamboo, it appears that it is DOA and won't be joining me for the summer R.I.P.
Bamboo Multi-plex......
On June 13th, 2013, bigcats11 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I have completely changed my rating on this company. I was contacted by Brighter Blooms Nursery after having such a difficult time with my Bamboo plants. Josh from the customer service department went way over and above fixing the situation. He sent me new Healthy Bamboo plants and was very sympathetic to my issues. I am once again a very happy customer of Brighter Blooms and now I will order some more plants happily and will pass the name to friends and neighbors.......Thanks Josh for making a bad situation good!!!!!
Positive lzav84
Sayreville, NJ
June 5, 2013
I had ordered a Gardenia Tree that arrived smaller then I was expect and in a so-so condition. It started yellowing and loosing leaves in a few days. A month later my tree lost almost all leaves. I sent email with pictures to customer service, and next day I got response from Deisha. She was letting me know that she is working on my tree replacement. I got my beautiful tree in a few days. New tree is healthy, expected size, and has some buds on it. I’ve been ordering from this company for few years. I will recommend this company to all my friends.
Thank you Deisha for your speedy responce.

Positive shanas
Muscoy, CA
May 20, 2013
We needed a 3-4 foot evergreen, flowering, easy-care protection shrub to line our newly erected wrought iron fence bordering the front yard of our new house. Double knockout roses were our choice. Finding them at our local nurseries wasn't happening, so we decided to order online. The 19 plants we ordered from Brighter Blooms came well packaged, pruned severely but that was expected. We ordered 15 reds and 4 pinks and received exactly what we ordered. Trying to save some money we got the 1 gallon plants instead of the 3 - I figured we would just wait the extra time it took for them to grow. (Turns out the wait won't be long) Without amending the soil at all - all we did was remove the sod in the yard where they were to be planted - we got them in the ground 3 months ago, early March. These little gems have out performed themselves. We are extremely impressed with the fact that not one of the plants have had the least bit of problem, and they all were flowering profusely within weeks. They have at least doubled in size since we planted them. It's been triple digit temps here in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains, and these roses haven't missed a beat. We are very happy with our purchase from Brighter Blooms and we just ordered a Forsythia for some more great color in front as well as 2 Royal Empress Trees, 1 for the front yard and one for the back, to give our little ones some much needed shade while they play. We did purchase their 1 year guarantee for all of the plants, but I sincerely doubt we will need it.
Negative mcig123
Woodstock, MD
May 17, 2013
I ordered two red Dogwood trees from Brighter Blooms before I read reviews here on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, when my order arrived I discovered that I had received four Camellia bushes/trees! I called the company over the weekend and the lady who answered said she could not do anything to help me and suggested that I call back on Monday morning. So I called Brighter Blooms on Monday and spoke with Gina and told her that I wanted a full refund and also wanted to know when they would have Fed Ex pick up the Camellias. There were several back and forth phone calls but I finally received a full refund today (Friday) and Fed Ex did come on Wednesday to pickup the package.
I know this sounds positive but the whole experience feels negative. I spent a lot of personal time with phone calls and other related tasks plus the anxiety that they might try to refuse my demand for a full refund. I learned one important thing- always check reviews of on-line businesses BEFORE I place an order with them.
Company representative comment on July 26, 2013:
On Jul 26, 2013 12:53 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

Our order initially shipped on May 9th and delivered on May 11th. Our customer contacted us over the weekend when our Customer Service Dept. is closed. Monday AM she called, and got in touch with a representative who let her know we would issue a full refund, as well work with Fed Ex to remove the packages from her home. We issued a full refund for the order back to her original form of payment on May 14th , as well as had Fed Ex remove the packages at our expense. Our Customer Service Manager reached out to her via phone to apologize for the inconvenience, and issued a store credit for 50% of her order value. Our hopes was that we would have another opportunity to prove ourselves with this customer.
She was very grateful for the follow up call, and seemed satisfied with the resolution to the issue.

Positive Zephyr22
Syracuse, NY
May 13, 2013
Posted on May 13, 2013, updated May 13, 2013
Last June (2012, I ordered two Royal Empress trees and two Needle Palm trees from Brighter Blooms. The Royal Empress trees failed to live up to their "fast growing" description but, as directed, I cut them back to the ground this Spring and they seem to be responding well. I ordered the Needle Palms specifically for their "cold hardy" ability, as I live in Upstate New York. Although we had a milder than normal Winter, both Needle Palms have perished. As Brighter Blooms does not guarantee their plants beyond 45 days, I wasted both money and effort on my purchase.

I have decided to only deal with local suppliers and those who provide a minimum of a one year warranty from this point forward.

I submitted a comment to the Brighter Blooms website (which, on reflection, only provides glowing comments) on the Needle Palms to warn others that they might not live up to their hardiness claims.. Although the comment was submitted more than a week ago, it has not appeared.

Caveat emptor, I guess.
On May 13th, 2013, Zephyr22 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Within two hours of this posting, I received a call from Brighter Blooms customer service. It turns out that there was an error on their website for the hardiness of the Needle Palms. Josh, of Brighter Blooms, identified the error and has changed the page to reflect the actual hardiness.

He issued me a full store credit for the Needle Palms :-) I am pleased and surprised by the quick action to addess the issue.
Positive lstacyb
Bardstown, KY (Zone 6a)
May 9, 2013
Posted on May 6, 2013, updated May 9, 2013
Posted on May 6, 2013, updated May 6, 2013
I placed the order at 2:30 PM and I received notification of this order at 2:37 PM after placing the order! At 2:53 I emailed to cancel the order and then called and requested the order be canceled and was told the order was not in their system yet. I ordered Lilacs by mistake. In that short of time and the fact it was not yet in their system, what could they have possibly done with my mistaken order?

I then talked to Joe and ordered 3, 3 gallon Gardenias at
Product Total: $170.85
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $42.71
Discount: ($50.00)
Surcharge: $0.00
Grand Total: $163.56
BalanceDue: $0.00

They want to charge me a cancelation fee after my spending over $500 in the last year. I think they should thank me for being a good customer not charge me a fee.

On May 6th, 2013, lstacyb changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Within 15 minutes of this posting, received a call and was issued a total credit. I feel much better about this company and appreciate Daves Garden for help with this matter.

I will still be a customer of Brighter Blooms!
On May 9th, 2013, lstacyb added the following:

I received full credit for the Lilacs, and today received the Gardenias! What a wonderful surprise! I received 3, 3 gallon Frost Proof Gardenias that are gorgeous! I couldn't expect more from Brighter Blooms and if you have issues, just contact them and give them a chance to make it right. Thanks Josh!
Negative moosegarden
(Zone 5b)
April 28, 2013
We purchased a clematis and a rose tree from Brighter Blooms last year. The clematis was advertised as "1-gallon", but arrived in a 1-quart pot, which itself was oversized for the tiny shoot that was included. The plant only survived about a 6 weeks.

The initial reply of customer service was that pot sizes do not reflect actual volumes, but rather "equivalent nursery sizes". I tried calling to follow up but could not reach someone who could resolve the dispute. Beyond that, it wasn't worth the trouble.

Also, the rose tree (by definition a graft) was supposed to be deep red. What grew out were pink-ish flowers that were not nearly as full as the advertised product. It may be the root stock, or another breed. However, the tree did take very nicely and survived the winter, and I've become fond of it anyway.

Company representative comment on June 6, 2013:
On Jun 6, 2013 3:42 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

Thank you for posting your concern. We have tried to reach out to you through through D-Mail, but unfortunately we've been unsuccessful. We also have not been able to find you in our database from the information you've provided. Please call us as soon as possible so that we can take care of your order and make sure your experience with Brighter Blooms Nursery is a positive one. Our number is 800-399-9514, and when you call, please ask for Josh. It is important to us that your expectations are not just met, but exceeded. Thanks!

Negative gailchisholm
April 28, 2013
Terrible customer service !!!
I ordered knock -out roses for my local NYC community garden.
Unfortunately I received different plants than ordered. Weeks later I am still trying to get the correct plants. Dozens of emails and phone calls to no avail.
Their 'Log in for information" does not work , in fact 'log in' does not even exist on their web site.
Buying plants should be an informative pleasant and courteous process and should not waste hours of my time and energy .
I notice other members had similar problems but changed a negative review to a neutral or positive one after the problem was solved months later.
Months later is too late!! I assume Brighter Blooms gifted the plants to smooth the way. I have no interest in waiting months to have a simple issue resolved.
I do not want to waste any more of my time with an unprofessional and inconsiderate supplier Please avoid ordering from Brighter Blooms and try support a local nursery who needs your business and can solve any problems face to face!
Negative lapuca
Moorestown-Lenola, NJ
April 25, 2013
I asked for Frost Proof Gardenias for Christmas. My sister in law, a fellow gardener, found them on line at Brighter Blooms and ordered 2 for me GAR-FRO3. Online during ordering it said they would ship during planting season. This is common in this situation and she and I thought nothing of it.
Unfortunately, the plants arrived two days later, Dec 21, which in NJ is NOT planting season.
I called them to let them know what would happen. On their paperwork it said to contact them within a week or so if a plant arrived in questionable condition. The plants were beautiful, however I wanted them to know if I could not keep them alive indoors during winter (they were large), then I would expect them to be replaced.
Well, similar to others, I emailed customer service and called twice. The phone calls were never answered. No matter when I called it said to call back between 9-5pm M-F, which I did to no avail. The emails would bring an error message = 'user error' screen.
I gave up, put the plants in the bathtub (dragging 3 gallon plants up the stairs) and tried to keep them alive.
They survived, but this situation kept me from using my bathtub all winter.
Terrible customer service.
I told my sister in law who buys a lot of plants, and anyone else who will listen, to stay away.
This company is too much hassle to deal with, unless you have lots of time to manage their mistakes and uncaring attitude.
Neutral KLRA
April 22, 2013
Posted on April 5, 2013, updated April 22, 2013
I ordered from Brighter Blooms on March 1st, 2013, and my order arrived March 29th. The jasmine vines looked great, but my fragrant tea olive was chewed up by pests and had brown spots, as did my eucalyptus tree. I was offered in-store credit for the eucalyptus trees, but no compensation for my tea olive. When I went to use my in-store credit, the website wouldn't accept the code. Also, my largest plant, another eucalyptus, didn't come with the rest of the order. I was never informed that it was back-ordered until I specifically asked when it didn't arrive with the other plants.

Brighter Blooms customer service has yet to answer two of my emails (regarding treatment of my eucalyptus, my missing plant, and my bogus in-store credit code). I've been patient and flexible, but at this point I'm surprised Brighter Blooms is surviving as a business with their current practices.
On April 22nd, 2013, KLRA changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

About an hour after I posted my negative review, I received a phone call from Josh who apologized up and down for my experience and made no excuse for it. I really appreciated that. I was also issued a refund and sent 2 tea olives since the eucalyptus was no longer an option. The tea olives arrived and while they weren't as attractive as my first, they were healthy and are doing great.

My overall impression is that this company is in over its head. My advice is to hire more people to manage inventory and make sure that what's in stock is accurately reflected on the website. I'm sure these guys are stressed to the max and I feel for them--I really do. Making a few changes will make everyone's experience much more enjoyable. I'll give it one more shot next year and hope I will be able to leave a better review.
Negative walky
Lake Goodwin, WA
April 18, 2013
I purchased two Nules Clementine trees. I planted them the day they arrived. After a month nothing happened. I emailed them. They said to give it another month. Still nothing. I called them. They said to give it more time. I emailed them again at the end of the summer. One had 1 leaf on it and the other looked dead. They said to scrape the side. I did. They asked me to send a picture of them. I did. They were still alive but not growing. Over the winter they died. Now they won't answer any of my emails.
Company representative comment on June 6, 2013:
On Jun 6, 2013 3:48 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

Positive standianne
Port Charlotte, FL
March 31, 2013
Originally, we bought some pink muhly grass and were less than satisfied, but the company has the best customer service I have ever encountered. They called me on the phone and sent new product immediately. I sincerely think they want to be a successful company and one of the keys to that end is customer satisfaction. Well, I give them a 110% AAA+++ in satisfying this customer! Thanks Chris, Crystal and Josh!!!

Stan and Dianne
Positive thw333333
Columbus, GA
March 6, 2013
Posted on February 22, 2013, updated March 6, 2013
I ordered knock-out roses and paid a PREMIUM!!! relative to other outlets. Some of the roses died. Customer service argued with me that they weren't really dead. Been gardening 30 years, but whatever... Nothing about their product or service is worth the price. Just go elsewhere.
On March 6th, 2013, thw333333 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Was contacted by customer service and the gentleman was very nice. He made it right and completely changed my views on Brighter Blooms. It showed me that they do have interest in customer service. I will consider them again for my gardening purchases and I regret leaving such a negative comment.
Positive Emund
Northville, MI
February 25, 2013
Late last year I placed a small order--my first experience ever buying shrubs or trees over the Internet--and the juniper arrived very well packaged and in superb condition. Better than I was expecting. Given my positive experience, I ordered a tree about one month later, but changed my landscaping plans soon thereafter. The customer service was terrific and I had no issues with a change order. I will surely buy from them again. Thanks Brighter Blooms.
Positive Ladybug88
OTTO, NC
February 18, 2013
I had ordered a Meyer lemon that arrived in a huge box and in wonderful condition. It started adding blossoms and new growth immediately. I then ordered three more items, one of which was a dwarf banana. The banana arrived in a short box and all the fronds were broken. I notified BB and they thought the fronds might be wilted, but that they would replace it if the tree did not recover. Three weeks later I sent another picture of the broken fronds and they immediately sent a beautiful replacement in a tall box without one damaged frond. My other plants are also doing well.

I really like this company. I read that someone said you could get the same plants at Walmart for cheaper, but Walmart doesn't carry what I ordered. Also, before I ordered, I shopped around the internet, and BB had the very best prices. They get an A+ from me.
Positive gizmosharky
Albuquerque, NM
February 7, 2013
It was a pleasure working with Josh. The customer service he provided was excellent.
Positive peteykgirl
Holliday, TX
December 17, 2012
my dream came true because of these people! i've bought hundreds of gardenias only to end up with 4 sprigs of twigs that i kept til shame set in. then i found the 'no frost gardenia'. little thing came with 2 little blooms and maybe 4' tall. i stuck it in the ground with only miracle grow soil. it LIVED! and BLOOMED and didn't get yellow spotted leaves. i went to SOME of the 'depressed gardenia growers'(killers) sites and raved. some day i'll have a wall or complete yard fenced by gardenias. and brighter blooms will be my salvation.
Positive oxhu
Naperville, IL
December 10, 2012
I ordered three sweet olive trees from Brighter Blooms the other day. They wouldn't be shipped until May because of inclement outdoor weather, but I wanted them to grow indoors. These trees mean a lot to my mother, who was used to seeing them in her childhood in China.

I asked Devin if it were possible to have them shipped sooner, and to my delight, she overrode the hold and said that we should expect them by the end of the week. In addition, she immediately sent a confirmation email detailing the change and giving me instructions for tracking the trees. Devin is extremely professional and accommodating, and makes me feel confident to order from Brighter Blooms again.

I'm so excited for my mother to receive them; the trees' fragrance are going to be such a comfort and joy to her.
Positive gunner00
MacAlester, OK
December 4, 2012
I just wanted to comment on the Customer Serivce Reps. and on my order. First let me explain that I'm hard of hearing. I had made a purchase of some rose trees and rose scrubs. I had made a mistake on my order and needed to let them know about it. I had emailed them and let them know about the situation and that I wasn't able to speak on the phone, that we had to do everything through emails. I reached a wonderful Customer Service Rep. that helped me from beginning to end. She was very helpful, very understanding and most important was her patience. She and I worked everything out through numerous emails. My orders are being processed and I can't wait to recieve them. I wish that more companies had Customer Service Reps. like the one I had (Devin). She was professional, very knowledgable and very friendly and we even shared a few smiles. You were great Devin. K. Mueller McAlester OK
Positive juliebraum
Lexington, OH
October 29, 2012
Thank you, Brighter Blooms! I am an extremely pleased buyer. I received my Knockout Roses from Brighter Blooms in the mail this last week and was amazed at how well preserved and how safely they were packed in the boxes. Fabulous shipping! They were simply gorgeous when I opened the boxes and pulled them out. I couldn't ask for anything better. I will be buying more from Brighter Blooms.