The scoop on 'Brighter Blooms Nursery'

Brighter Blooms Nursery

4808 Campobello Dr.
Monroe, North Carolina 28110 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-399-9514

This company is affiliated with Empress Tree Nurseries (aka Fast Growing Trees, Paulownia Supply & fastgrowingtree.com)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive gdlpsanznnn
Saint Louis, MO
July 27, 2015
Posted on July 20, 2015, updated July 27, 2015
On Oct 27, 2014 received and planted over $165 worth of plants.
I requested replacement of four white rhododendrons that died--actually never grew any leaves at all. Because it was late Fall, I assumed they were dormant. Now the company refused to replace them citing their 30 day warranty.

Also, they want a photo of the dead plants (but there is nothing to show).

For your reference this is Case #: 125809
On July 27th, 2015, gdlpsanznnn changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Thank you Brighter Blooms for replacing the rhododendrons even though it was outside the warranty period. Brighter Blooms went the extra mile and gave me a merchandize credit because I had already bought azaleas replacements.
Company representative comment on July 24, 2015:
On Jul 24, 2015 9:30 AM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

We are so very sorry that your rhododendrons did not make it through the winter. Our customer service manager has reached out in hopes to resolve this concern to the satisfaction of the customer and the company.

Positive cmweigand
July 17, 2015
I have ordered many plants from this company over the last 7 years and have always been pleased. I have never had a problem with a damaged plant until this week. I ordered two azaleas that were damaged during shipping. I contacted Brighter Blooms about the damage by email. I had a reply within an hour that they were sending me two new plants and they were shipped within 24 hours.
All of the plants I have received from them have been healthy and disease free. Most are still thriving years later. The ones that did not survive were either my fault or severely damaged during a very harsh, New England winter.
I will continue to use this company and will continue to recommend it to my friends.
Positive Szappen67
Melrose Park, IL
July 17, 2015
I purchased a musa basjoo for zone 5 Chicago. Upon arrival I was amazed at the perfect , strong , healthy condition and very well packed plant. I transplanted the following day to a big enough pot to adjust to my conditions. It did go into shock but only for 6 hours. By days end it was perky as it was when received and ready began to grow so far 2 inches. And I just received it 2 weeks ago. Definitly getting a Queen Palm .
Positive marine0311
pownal, VT (Zone 5a)
June 20, 2015
Posted on May 29, 2015, updated June 20, 2015
Posted on May 29, 2015, updated May 29, 2015
I ordered 5 rose of sharon In April. Plants were in dormant stage. Dry roots looked good. I used excellent soil and mulch per directions. Here it is the end of May and only one has leaves. I wrote brighter blooms twice, and sent pictures. Almost one week later no response, no refund per their guarantee. Very poor customer service at this present time, in my judgement.
I will add to this if I get results.
On May 29th, 2015, marine0311 added the following:

May 29 2015 I spoke with Elvis , their customer service rep and he was extremely helpful and will ship out four more plants. Exceptional person to speak too. he apologized for my emails getting lost in the cracks. I may change my feedback to positive after plants arrive in excellent condition, because of Elvis help.
On June 20th, 2015, marine0311 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Received four more plants that look to be in fine condition. Thank you Elvis
If any have a problem, forget the email. call them. I got great help
Company representative comment on June 9, 2015:
On Jun 9, 2015 2:19 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

We are so happy to hear that our customer service representative Elvis was able to assist you in getting your replacement trees. We hope they arrived in great condition!

Negative MNMisfit
Saint Paul, MN
June 5, 2015
Ordered a Sunny Knockout Rose as a memorial gift for a friend whose mother died. Received multiple emails from a "Jen at Brighter Blooms" with confirmation number; the product was delivered on the date indicated in the email, however, the box was crushed in shipping and the plant damaged. I sent an email with photos which wasn't acknowledged (despite two additional "confirmation" emails re: my order). I called the company & was told they had no record of the email & to re-enter the info on their website with the photos & they would issue a store credit for the amount of the plant only (I live in MN) & do not think I should have to pay for shipping for a plant received damaged. The agent said they "might" file a claim with FedEx after I submitted the info. I was assured that after entering the info via the website, I would be contacted. I have only received a credit for the plant & no contact. VERY DISAPPOINTING. Not only does my friend have a damaged plant but I am out an additional $15 for shipping. This was my first & last experience with this company.
Company representative comment on June 8, 2015:
On Jun 8, 2015 9:45 AM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

We so very sorry to hear this. Our Customer Service Manager has reached out to you in hopes to make this experience better. If the plant was damaged in transit you should not be responsible for the replacement or the shipping. Our policy is that if it is damaged in transit we will reissue you a new plant. Again we truly apologize for the troubles and the inconvenience this may have caused.

Positive kvbachman
Florence, KY
May 15, 2015
I ordered the August Beauty Gardenia Tree. (As a outdoor Deck/indoor tree... Ky gets a little chilly from them, but my Wife Loves the blooms)

It was shipped immediately and arrived promptly (2 days)
Well Packaged and the tree was in perfect condition.

Received emails from Jen (automated?) about shipping information, then tracking information etc.

I will definitely buy from them again and recommend to friends
Ken B in Florence KY.
Positive mtroebs
Duluth, GA
May 13, 2015
Brighter Blooms is an incredible source for topnotch plants of all kinds. They are promptly shipped, perfectly packed, the customer service is impeccable.

Every plant received is of the highest quality. The option to purchase a warranty is a wonderful option. We have had very little loss after having purchased as great amount of plant material. When we have, the plants under warranty have been quickly replaced.

The prices are reasonable. The selection is fantastic. The products are superlative.

Our experience has been so incredibly positive that we have recommended Brighter Blooms to our friends and family, and will continue to do so.

Thanks Brighter Blooms!!!!

All the best,

Michael Troebs
Negative Mcjarhead
Bronxville, NY
May 8, 2015
NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ordered 20 blueberry bushes, it was supposed to be free shipping but was charged $125.00 for shipping a rip off, then 7 died right away, they give you half the price of the plant and not the shipping, which was supposed to be free. I had to fight with them to get a credit 3 months later finally received email that I would in fact have a credit. Now the rest of the plants are almost dead, save your $,
Negative LC11964
Shelter Island, NY
May 6, 2015
I ordered one lilac bush, one snowball viburnum and one lavender plant, all on sale. The plants were packaged very poorly and as a result, the lavender was pretty much destroyed and the viburnum was heavily damaged. In addition, the plants were much smaller than expected given the price I paid - my local nurseries offers much more mature specimens for the same price. I complained to Brighter Blooms and they offered to send me another lavender plant. I've since sent them follow-up correspondence with photos showing how the viburnum appears to be dying (most of its branches were snapped during shipping because of the poor packaging). No matter the outcome, I just can't recommend this place. It's hard to tell what size plant you're going to get when you order online, so I gave them a try. Given this experience, I have to conclude that you just don't get good value through Brighter Blooms - I paid way too much for some very tiny shrubs.
Negative aaron_fredrick
Asheville, NC
April 22, 2015
I ordered a dwarf Cavendish banana tree with a 1 year warranty. It showed up a month after I ordered it as just a corn without a single sprout. I kept it in the pot in which it was delivered and kept the soil moist for a month even though the corn felt soft, in hopes that it would sprout. It never did, and after cutting into it I can confirm it is dead. I have had no response to my email about my warranty.
Company representative comment on April 24, 2015:
On Apr 24, 2015 3:04 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

We are so sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your order. Our Customer Care Manager will be emailing you to help get your warranty activated.

Positive tgreen81
Kennesaw, GA
April 9, 2015
Writing from Atlanta GA. Ordered three Plants of the varieties that were suggested on walterreeves.com. All were very healthy and a good size for the price when received.

My husband surprised me and planted them without checking the order. I received two of the same color roses (pink), which I was supposed to have one yellow, one pink. I contacted the company and they shipped the correct out within three days of the original order received. They were prompt to respond and they were considerate on the email chain. I will be ordering from this company again-great customer service on online ordering is a plus and worth the cost of product.
Positive memdaletpey
Baltimore, MD
February 14, 2015
Superior. I bought three Italian Cypresses from this company. Then scratched my head and decided to add insurance. Boy, I was right! Winter came, and along with winter came deer who ate two of the three cypresses.
I claimed my warranty, which was immediately accepted and given a replacement coupon.

Five stars. Oh, by the way - the cypresses are superior too. Healthy, plump trees. And the customer service. When you ask them about something (better if accompanied by the photo of the problem), the Q/A turn-around is one day. This company is clearly striving to be well above average nursery in all aspects of the business.
Negative nnjguy
Berkeley Heights, NJ
February 5, 2015
In the fall of 2014, I ordered an expensive ornamental tree from Brighter Blooms. The ordering page as well as the rep I spoke to when I placed my order indicated that my tree would be shipped in April, 2015. I live in northern NJ and we are currently (February 5, 2015) covered in ice and snow with more expected. Today I received an e-mail from FedEx indicating that my shipment from Brighter Blooms is on the way----TODAY. I tried contacting Brighter Blooms but they are not currently reachable by phone (I don't know what that even means). They changed the shipping date of an ornamental tree to a freezing climate at my home and didn't bother telling me. This is not what was agreed upon during the order. This tree is as good as dead.
Company representative comment on February 5, 2015:
On Feb 5, 2015 2:45 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

We are so very sorry that this happened. We did have some items go out by mistake and should not have. We will definitely be sending this out to you in the spring as requested since this was absolutely an error on our end. I apologize that you were not able to reach us today we were having some scheduled maintenance to our phone system done.. And I will make sure that one of our customer care representatives contacts contacts you as soon as we can.

Positive anneyas
Cohutta, GA
September 29, 2014
Thanks so much for your quick response. Because of the great customer service, you will have me as a customer.
Anne Yasenchak
Neutral Hammer18
Libertyville, IL
September 16, 2014
Posted on September 16, 2014, updated September 16, 2014
BUYER BEWARE of this company and their FALSE ADVERTISING!!! I recently purchased 4 Gold Mop Cypress bushes from this company. While they were quick to ship and reasonable priced, they were VERY deceptive in their advertising and have yet to resolve the issue in any sort of acceptable matter. On their website they specifically state that this plant is a \"brilliant shade of shimmering yellow gold that is maintained throughout the year\", well guess what it\'s not true! When I received the bushes they were an ugly lime green. After exchanging emails with their customer service department, I come to find out from their \"specialists\" that I received the correct bush, but that the plant actually has an \"attractive yellow foilage which emerges gold in the spring. The threadlike leaves are ornamentally significant and turn lime green in the fall...\" Um, not at all what their website states. Then I\'m told by the customer service rep that \"With our website we cannot place all the information on there on every tree or plant we do put what is most important.\" No, you only put what you want customers to see...they have a 10 paragraph 348 word description of this plant on the website and NO WHERE in the description does it state that the plant is only yellow/gold for 6 months of the year and turns green for the remainder of it...they specifically state it is yellow/gold year round!!! Their proposed resolution was also an insult as they first tried to state that I used a filter in taking my photos of the plant, which I didn\'t, used my iPhone...but then they want me to pay return shipping and a 10% restocking fee for their false advertising!!! I would expect them to pay return shipping and no restocking fee with a FULL credit as I only ordered these bushes from them due to the plant\'s description on their website, had it been accurate and not FALSE ADVERTISED, I NEVER would have placed an order in the first place!!! Please do yourself a favor and steer clear of this company, they are awful and have false advertising, it\'s not worth wasting your money with them!!!
On September 16th, 2014, Hammer18 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Let me amend this review as I did just receive an email from the customer service manager resolving this issue. The company has not only corrected their website description for these bushes (yes I checked before writing the amendment to the review), but they have also refunded our money on the bushes, which I do really appreciate. While I was very upset about this issue as you can see below, I do have a lot of respect for companies that correct issues with their customers and do the right thing and this company has done that. THANK YOU!
Positive ryanpre
Jackson, NJ
July 30, 2014
I have ordered from them 4 times in the past 6 months, including fruit trees and ornamental shrubs. Trees and shrubs were all very healthy and had strong root systems, unlike some other nurseries I have purchased from that ship bare root trees. Additionally, they correctly measure their trees and indicate what root stock it's on, which is important to understand maximum size, growth rate and disease resistance. Very importantly, their customer service team is fast, friendly and helpful. On two different occasions, they have resolved issues in a very ethical manner, most recently when I received a 3-in-1 Apple tree that was actually supposed to be 4-in-1. They are sending me a free replacement due to their error. Highly recommend this nursery and will continue to do business with them!
Positive graham072442
Lynn, MA
July 17, 2014
Posted on July 14, 2014, updated July 17, 2014
Posted on July 14, 2014, updated July 14, 2014
Posted on July 13, 2014, updated July 14, 2014
I just found this website or I would have posted much sooner. In February, 2012, I purchased 2 Windmill Palms which were listed as hardy in Zone 6. They were delivered in April. I immediately sent an email stating that several of the fronds were dead or dying and others were broken; I received a return email asking that I send photos - which I did, along with BB's requested form for replacement plants or an adjustment. The responding email rejected my request and suggested I "give the plants more time" and consult the planting instructions; the planting instructions had been followed to the letter, however. Well, not only did the plants not thrive, they did not survive even until the winter of that year ('12-'13). Given the complete refusal to make an adjustment or replacement, I didn't contact the nursery further. I left the plants in the ground in the hope that perhaps a root system would develop and they would revive the following year. Because of other priorities, I didn't get around to removing the dead stumps until last month; there NEVER developed ANY roots from the truncated roots that were on the plants when they arrived.

And I'm not sure just WHO or What to blame for the fact that the wisteria "tree" which I purchased a year or so before that has only produced ONE bloom - and that during the summer of 2012.
On July 14th, 2014, graham072442 added the following:

In response to Brighter Blooms' response. if you will search your records further, you will find that on April 23, 2012, I responded to Heather's email with a completed form requesting replacements or credit AND attaching 10 photographs. Sorry, but the ball WAS placed back in your court.
On July 14th, 2014, graham072442 added the following:

Also, the plants were DELIVERED in a damaged condition; they did not deteriorate over a period of time after delivery. I contacted you folks as soon as they arrived. YOU delayed their delivery and the deterioration occurred prior to my receipt.
On July 17th, 2014, graham072442 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I was contacted by Brighter Blooms early this week and given a credit for my full purchase price, as well as some suggestions on how to remedy my wisteria problem. I was provided with assistance in ordering self-polinating cherry trees - no more palms for me - and provided with a store credit for the remaining difference between their cost and my original purchase. The customer service rep said she'd personally select trees for me and throw in a couple bags of root stimulater/organic potting soil and that they should arrive by Friday; in fact they arrived today, Thursday. Both trees appear to be quite healthy and are nicely shaped. My handyman and I plan to plant them this afternoon. I am very pleased and surprisingly shocked that BB has reached out to restore my loss after this length of time. I'll definitely be buying more plants from BB when my next need arises.
Company representative comment on July 15, 2014:
On Jul 14, 2014 3:40 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

I apologize for your frustration. Cold hardy palms rarely have problems. They do, however, produce their fans in the summer. By the time you go through the winter and get all the way to late spring, they sometimes look a little worn. This is natural.

I found an email that our Rep had sent you on April 23,2012. She suggested giving the palms a little time to produce new foliage and asked that if they do not turn around by May 15,2012, to contact us so that we can replace them.

I regret that you feel that we were unresponsive. We should have communicated better. I would like to see if our horticulturalist can help with your wisteria and I would like to learn more about your palms. Please give me a call. Ask for Jackie at 704-644-4490

On Jul 15, 2014 1:49 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery added:

Our customer service manager reached out to the customer today to assist her with questions in regards to her Wisteria tree. She was able to provide suggestions in regards her Wisteria not blooming. We also feel like we came to an amicable solution with the customer in regards to her previous order not being satisfactory and feel like the customer is satisfied with the outcome.

Positive jennwv11
FALLING WATERS, WV
July 15, 2014
I purchased a bare rooted standard tree lilac from BB back in May. I was a little hesitant because my neighbor had a bad experience with Fast Growing Trees and had let me know BB is part of FGT. I wanted a tree lilac for while but my local nursery always seemed to have a hard time keeping them in stock so I ordered my tree and when it arrived I immediately soaked it in a clean bucket over night. I planted it, mulched, and gave it a good soaking. I watered twice a day until leaves came out which took about 3 weeks. I fertilized once a month since planting it and it is doing great. I also trimmed it to make it look tidy after it finished blooming. I didn't get many blooms but I think it will get more blooms next year. I am satisfied overall with the service I received and the quality of my tree lilac. I would buy from them again!
Positive beb123
Long Branch, NJ
July 2, 2014
I placed my order and then read some of the negative comments on this site. It was too late to cancel, so I prepared for the worst. I ordered hydrangeas and azaleas and I received healthy plants, packed securely. I received exactly what I ordered, the plants were as big, maybe even bigger than advertised. Everything shipped within 1 business day of my order. I would order again.
Positive dellaplante
Longmont, CO
June 6, 2014
I purchased a large Rose of Sharon tree 5' and a "Lo and Behold Blue chip Butterfly Bush". I noticed the bush was very dry and brittle when I put in the ground. I watered it good but I never got a single green leaf or stem. I emailed.
Kim and Jackie at nursery and told her I was disappointed, with the bush, but realized I waited, too long. They told me to email them a picture and I did. Next thing I know I get an email with their regrets and a notice that a replacement plant would soon arrive. An it did and it's beautiful like their rose of Sharon. I thanked them and they asked me to post this site. WONDERFUL, SELECTION, STAFF AND OVERBOARD SERVICE.
Positive jojogogreen
Ludlow, MA
June 5, 2014
I cannot express how pleased I am with BrighterBlooms. Yes, there were some issues with my orders but it was rectified so well and so promptly that I continued to order. I started by ordering 2x 2 gal pots of Peach Sorbet Blueberries. There was an issue with that order and FedEx sent it back for some reason. When I called CS, I spoke with Sara. Sara had exceptional customer service!! She promptly stated that they sent out a double order and recalled one of them but both went back. I followed the tracking to make sure everything being said was true and it was. Sara then sent out 2 new ones. the PS Blueberries came in beautiful condition. They came so beautiful that I ordered 2 more. The additional order came in beautiful as well! I then ordered a Meyer Lemon and a Clementine. Well, that order was destroyed by FEDEX. They folded the box in half breaking my clementine. Again I called and this time spoke with Jerry and he was fantastic as well as Sara. He requested that I take my photos (I took photos of the delivery and then the damage tree) and forward them over to them which I did. I then called a few hours later and spoke with Haley...she reviewed the photos and was just fantastic with her customer service!! She arranged to send me a new clementine and made sure I knew that if I had an issue with the Meyer lemon, they would take care of that as well. Yesterday I received the Clementine and it is just GORGEOUS! I would do business with them anytime. In fact, I ordered another Meyer lemon because of this. To date I have 2 Raspberry Shortcakes, 4 Peach Sorbet Blueberries, 2 Meyer Lemon (1 on the way), and a Clementine. All seem to be thriving so far Meyer Lemon is still bent over from the shipping but I am hoping she will get straighter with love.

I will say this...I don't trust FEDEX AT ALL. Could it be just the FEDEX in my area? Sure! But, they don't seem to care that it is clearly written all over the box live plants fragile handle with care. I was home each and every time FEDEX delivered and he(they) mishandled each and every box. From now on, I will only order 1 tree at a time because of this. It has a better chance of not being damaged than 2 in a box.

When ordering online (especially LIVE and delicate items) it is a risk. There are challenges and there are mistakes that can definitely be made. Once the plants are out of the company's hand and into the shippers hands, it is even more challenging. My question is how is the company going to handle it? Are they sensitive to my needs...Respecting me and my hard earned money. Kudos to BrighterBlooms.com for taking care of me and making me feel important.

A big thank you to Sara(h?), Jerry, and Haley!! Great Customer service and fast results!! Major assets to BrighterBlooms.com They increased sales because without their wonderful CS, I would have stopped ordering. A big thank you to BrighterBlooms for providing such beautiful specimens!
Neutral rivermare
Lincoln, CA
June 3, 2014
I was really apprehensive about buying from Brighter Blooms. Their ads seem to be everywhere and the mixed reviews were not really helping me decide. I finally triggered some buys on my cart because their prices were reasonable and shipping was free. I ordered 2 vines and a tree. The plastic planters were set on top of each other and the middle one, a vine, did not look to happy being sandwiched between the other two. The vines recovered but do not have a lot of leaf. I could have gotten better price somewhere I am sure but I wanted to try this out. Will not buy vines from them again.
The tree I ordered was broken a foot from the top. I wrote them an e-mail with picture and they sent me a replacement. The replacement looked far from healthy but it is recovering now. At least it wasn't broken.
I may buy another tree from Brighter Blooms again but not any time soon.
I rated neutral because even though the plants were not top quality, customer service was very responsive and that makes for a better experience.
Negative tcampt
New York, NY
May 5, 2014
Posted on May 3, 2014, updated May 5, 2014
My order was bungled and customer service was non-existent. I place an order by phone, asked them to hold off on delivery and scheduled a date to send and receive them at our business location. They did NOT wait to deliver and sent it the following day to arrive on a SATURDAY. I only found out b/c I called to confirm when the salesperson did not follow up with me as promised. Customer service was closed (at 4pm on Friday??!!) so had to ask a salesperson to research this. The new salesperson said he would email me a tracking number, but did not. I had to call a third time (customer service closed again -- they don't work on Saturdays, of course!) and as another salesperson to find the tracking number. Have been on the phone with fed ex all morning who have also bungled the delivery. I just hope the plants are worth it...
On May 5th, 2014, tcampt added the following:

It's two days later and my $300 plant order seems is still in limbo. I spoke with customer service several hours ago and while she apologized profusely could neither understand why the order was sent out when I expressly asked for it to be held, nor could she explain why FedEx was holding on to it and refusing to deliver it. FedEx says I should call the shipper; Brighter Blooms says they're not sure why this is happening. I feel utterly helpless. Still waiting for a return call from customer service, but my plants have now been waiting at FedEx for 4 days w/o a single delivery attempts. I imagine they will be in pretty sad condition. I had such high hopes based on other reviews on this page but this has now become a complete nightmare.
Company representative comment on July 9, 2014:
On Jul 9, 2014 7:57 AM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

During this time we were in contact with the customer and Fed Ex trying to get the product to the customer and to understand why they were not delivered when they were suppose to. Our customer service manager spoke with the customer and assured her we would replace any product that arrived in poor condition due to being in transit for to long. We came to a amicable solution and the customer was satisfied with the outcome.

Positive LiteraryLady
Locust Grove, VA
May 1, 2014
We ordered a lemon tree online. I read reviews about Brighter Blooms Nursery and felt confident in the order. I was particularly pleased with the communications from the Nursery. A lovely woman named Jennifer alerted us when they shipped.

When I sent a generic question about the planting of the tree she was responsive in searching out the answer from the head of the Nursery and giving us the information.

I am truly happy thus far with the personal service we are receiving. The tree arrived yesterday and looks very healthy and in great shape. We are anxious to plant and start harvesting lemons.

Thank you Brighter Blooms and Jennifer for your excellent service.

j young

I will definitely reorder from Brighter Blooms - though the tree looks wonderful, the customer service is absolutely terrific.
Positive Nataliya_P
New York, NY
April 3, 2014
This was not my fist time dealing with Brighter Blooms (BB). I like and appreciate the quality of their plants , which come in the best packaging I've ever seen! The responsiveness and attention to provide the best customer service exceeded my expectations this time around. Personal "thank you" to Jennifer who went far and beyond to make sure my order finds me(not BB's fault). Thank you again for being a great business.
Nataliya
Positive coralsunset
Charlotte, NC
March 5, 2014
Brighterblooms help me alot on a purchase from this past summer of 2013. With the help of their staff I was able to order again on a certain item that did not make the winter and given great advise on their warranty and the plant. I have ordered many of their azealeas and never lost a one. The quality of the plants and the careful way of packaging was top notch. I will continue to buy from their company in the future. Thanks to Jennifer for all of her responses to my email questions and the timely manner they were returned. Keep up the good work.
Positive lynnen12
San Francisco, CA
November 12, 2013
Posted on November 11, 2013, updated November 12, 2013
I am anxiously waiting for my plants to arrive, and I am already having a bad experience with this company. Customer service rep Jamula was not at all helpful in my questions about my order, and I did not appreciate her negative attitude. I had to contact Fedex directly to have my questions answered. I wish I had read these reviews before I placed an order with this company, and I would have chosen more wisely.
On November 12th, 2013, lynnen12 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I just got a follow up phone call from Josh, head of customer service. He was extremely courteous and apologetic, and wanted to work things out. I feel bad that he has to take responsibility for someone else's behavior. He offered to refund me and reship my order so it would arrive when I am home. He heard me out, and was very understanding. Clearly understood that customer support has to support the customer:)
Positive Marketdriven
Garner, NC
October 15, 2013
Eucalyptus and Dwarf Cavandish Banana arrived VERY quick. The Eucalyptus looks great, but concerned the zone was incorrect on the site. Claims 7 is in the region it grows, but 8 on other sites. It can freeze here in my area which this species does not like very well and why the zone 8+. I hope it will do fine considering it is not a small growing plant and doesn't like potting. I will not be able to shelter it when it grows or if it snows. The Banana is a bit brown on its area from the top of the soil up to the green leaves. It looks a little soggy and rotten, but I have never had a banana. I can't wait to pot it and get this one growing too. The eucalyptus had a cute sheet enclosed giving hints on planting and growing. The Banana I will have to find one. They gave me two sites, but the first one doe not have the Banana listed. I will find information on it and get this little one growing and keep it safe from cold. I am happy with billing, discount shipping and speed of shipping and packing. Plants look better than I have seen from other places, but were 59.00 each with a 50.00 discount for buying both. The only other concern I have was a fee I did not pay for a 1 year guarantee. I am not too happy about thinking they will tell me that these things will not be replaced if they die prematurely.
Positive WheresJS
Bronx, NY (Zone 6b)
August 3, 2013
This was my first of hopefully many more orders from Brighter Blooms. I ordered 1 3 gal "Heavenly Bamboo Nandina" 2 2 gal "Firepower Nandina". &"Everything about this experience was great. Starting off with a smooth, easy to navigate website. I also emailed them to ask to have a 1 yr warranty put on my order, they promptly replied and I called to have it added with my credit card #.
They also emailed me with the FedEx tracking #'s, once from customer service and once from when the labels were printed, this was fantastic.
Customer service was great, they were friendly and quick to the point.
My packages arrived, and they were boxed AWESOME. The way the put it together was great, they bag the pot, zip tie the base, once inside the box is another cardboard barrier so nothing moves around.. no dirt in the boxes..

I am a happy customer and will DEFINITELY be deailing with Brighter Blooms again!
Thanks

Joshua
Neutral sonata314
Brockport, NY
July 29, 2013
Posted on June 25, 2013, updated July 29, 2013
My order to Brighter Blooms included 3 Autumn Angel Encore Azaleas and an Endless Summer Hydrangea. The order arrived but two of my azaleas were missing . I called customer service, who told me to call FedEx, who then told me to call customer service back. The two missing azaleas were shipped out, but this time, only one was the right kind. The most disappointing part of my order was the Hydrangea. It arrived with some blooms, but most of the flowers were dead or had fallen off. The plant's leaves fared the same way. The root system may be fine, but I am embarrassed to have such a mess in my garden...and it was not cheap.
On July 29th, 2013, sonata314 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Josh, the BB's customer service manager, contacted me shortly after I posted my review. He was great to work with, and sent replacement plants for the incorrect azalea and the hydrangea. Both replacement plants were in good condition. I changed my rating to neutral because I would definitely shop at my local garden center next time I buy plants. I like being able to look over the plants ahead of time and know that I'm getting the best quality the first time around.
Positive mbstone
Rockville, MD
July 11, 2013
I ordered 18 Nelly Stevens Holly bushes. So far the majority of them are growing very well. I did purchase the 1-year warranty which I encourage everyone to do because it is inexpensive! I have 4 bushes that are on the verge of dying if not dead. I called customer service and was so pleased with how nice they were and literally within 5 minutes of me hanging up the phone, I received a credit for the 4 dying bushes! I just ordered those bushes plus a couple other trees to try out!
Positive brendon1969
Burr Ridge, IL
July 9, 2013
Posted on July 3, 2013, updated July 9, 2013
I have to agree with all negative comments about the Brighter Blooms nursery .I just got my oakleaf hydrangea and plants look horrible .They look sick .Some of the brunches were broken.There is nobody to answer the phone on the costumer service end . It was a big mistake to order from Brighter Blooms I would never order again.
On July 9th, 2013, brendon1969 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

After I contacted Brighter Blooms I was pleasantly surprised. Josh have cold me and he was very understanding and helpful .He explain what could have gone wrong with the plants and offer replacement for the damaged plant. he made me feel like they care for a costumer after all.I would be more comfortable to do business with Brighter blooms in the future.For now,I just give my plants extra TLC.
Positive stemmer
Owings Mills, MD
June 25, 2013
I first ordered from Brighter Blooms in April of 2013. Realizing that the order was likely to arrive before I could get my planting helper, I called to ask that the shipment be delayed. Dale was helpful, and scheduled delivery for the last week of April.
The six Sunny Knockout Roses arrived on schedule, and although I was initially dismayed by some difficulty in dislodging all of the heavy copper staples, the plants were certainly well protected, and very well leafed out. I felt confident enough to order again–this time a Knockout Rose Tree. Again I was extremely pleased by the specimen sent; well leafed out. its trunk well supported by a stake, and with small rose buds already set. All the plants are doing well, and I am looking forward with some excitement to seeing the young rose tree in bloom. Although I had never heard of this company beforeI received its advertisement, it now has my full confidence. I am impressed with its service, well-packed shipments and the quality of its offerings, which arrive as well-developed plants, and I will certainly order from Brighter Blooms Nursery again.
Positive MBurket
Salem, NC
June 24, 2013
We could not be more happy with this nursery. We recently purchased four Encore Angel Azalea bushes and received quickly four beautiful healthy plants with excellent packaging. Only a slight problem. When we opened the box they were Encore Autumn Embers Azalea bushes. I notified them and asks what I should do that the wrong plants were sent. Their representative I talked to was very helpful and told us to just enjoy the plants and they would be sending the Angel plants as soon as possible. One week later the plants arrived. Beautiful, healthy, large plants that had blooms and a few flowers. We had never bought plants online but that is the only way now we will buy them and Brighter Blooms is the only nursery we will be buying from. We highly recommend.
Positive janice930
Columbus, MS
June 19, 2013
Posted on June 18, 2013, updated June 19, 2013
I ordered 6 Double Pink Knock Out Roses from Brighter Blooms on 5-16-13 at a cost of $122.20 counting shipping. I received 3 big boxes, roses packed great but they where single bloom. I had already dug up a single bloom rose I had for years that I did not like. I called Brighter Blooms and told the guy that answered they sent me single bloom instead of double. He said "how do you know? I said "because they are blooming". They said to take pictures which I did and sent to them. But they said they couldn't open the pictures. I sent the pictures to a friend and she had no problem opening them. On Friday 6-6 after getting no where with these people, I called and told this girl what am I going to do with these roses, they are sitting in my carport with plastic around them, do you want me to sent them back. She said yes send them back. It cost me $67.74 to send them back. I received the double pink roses the following week. They have not said a thing about refunding me the shipping money. The roses end up costing me $189.94. ----Order ID #1063091
On June 19th, 2013, janice930 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I just got an e-mail from Brighter Blooms and they are sending me my re-fund back. The roses are beautiful and were packed great.
Positive bigcats11
Los Angeles, CA
June 13, 2013
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated June 13, 2013
Posted on May 19, 2013, updated May 23, 2013
Well its a long story so I will make it short. You would be better off buying plants from an abandon nursery or taken from a dumpster than buying from this company. I ordered 4 plants-Bamboo Multiplex and only received two as two got lost. The two I did receive were just about dead. Called the company and was first told you should have reported it and taken photos. Well I did report it and had proof from an e-mail. Then was told to send photos which I had right out of the box. After about a week or so they agreed to send me a credit voucher, no shipping just a credit for the plant only. Even though I didn't pay for shipping originally the replacement should be identically sent. Then I received the two missing plants that were very much alive compared to the original two I got that looked dead. Well having to wait until the credit voucher for (one) was activated which was totally stupid on their part(took a week). Why would they issue a voucher and forget to put it in your system. I saw someone else post the same thing about this voucher problem. Also I should mention their customer service department-not placing orders they are happy to do that, is almost always closed and you can't leave a message(call back later were up to our ears on complaints).
Well stupid me I finally kept calling and got thru to a salesman who said sorry about customer service I think they are just overwhelmed right now. I placed an order for two plants, using the voucher that was now good after a week and buying one more bamboo plant. After two weeks both plants arrived and one is almost completely dead. I am embarrassed from my neighbors who wonder why I would order another one from this same company. I just can't believe that they would employ people who would box up a plant that looked liked mine do. The verbage in the ad says very healthy plant will arrive. LOL not so. I have given up as it makes my blood pressure go up just talking to them.
On May 23rd, 2013, bigcats11 added the following:

Well having planted the almost dead bamboo, it appears that it is DOA and won't be joining me for the summer R.I.P.
Bamboo Multi-plex......
On June 13th, 2013, bigcats11 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I have completely changed my rating on this company. I was contacted by Brighter Blooms Nursery after having such a difficult time with my Bamboo plants. Josh from the customer service department went way over and above fixing the situation. He sent me new Healthy Bamboo plants and was very sympathetic to my issues. I am once again a very happy customer of Brighter Blooms and now I will order some more plants happily and will pass the name to friends and neighbors.......Thanks Josh for making a bad situation good!!!!!
Positive lzav84
Sayreville, NJ
June 5, 2013
I had ordered a Gardenia Tree that arrived smaller then I was expect and in a so-so condition. It started yellowing and loosing leaves in a few days. A month later my tree lost almost all leaves. I sent email with pictures to customer service, and next day I got response from Deisha. She was letting me know that she is working on my tree replacement. I got my beautiful tree in a few days. New tree is healthy, expected size, and has some buds on it. I’ve been ordering from this company for few years. I will recommend this company to all my friends.
Thank you Deisha for your speedy responce.

Positive shanas
Muscoy, CA
May 20, 2013
We needed a 3-4 foot evergreen, flowering, easy-care protection shrub to line our newly erected wrought iron fence bordering the front yard of our new house. Double knockout roses were our choice. Finding them at our local nurseries wasn't happening, so we decided to order online. The 19 plants we ordered from Brighter Blooms came well packaged, pruned severely but that was expected. We ordered 15 reds and 4 pinks and received exactly what we ordered. Trying to save some money we got the 1 gallon plants instead of the 3 - I figured we would just wait the extra time it took for them to grow. (Turns out the wait won't be long) Without amending the soil at all - all we did was remove the sod in the yard where they were to be planted - we got them in the ground 3 months ago, early March. These little gems have out performed themselves. We are extremely impressed with the fact that not one of the plants have had the least bit of problem, and they all were flowering profusely within weeks. They have at least doubled in size since we planted them. It's been triple digit temps here in the foothills of the San Bernardino mountains, and these roses haven't missed a beat. We are very happy with our purchase from Brighter Blooms and we just ordered a Forsythia for some more great color in front as well as 2 Royal Empress Trees, 1 for the front yard and one for the back, to give our little ones some much needed shade while they play. We did purchase their 1 year guarantee for all of the plants, but I sincerely doubt we will need it.
Negative mcig123
Woodstock, MD
May 17, 2013
I ordered two red Dogwood trees from Brighter Blooms before I read reviews here on Dave's Garden. Unfortunately, when my order arrived I discovered that I had received four Camellia bushes/trees! I called the company over the weekend and the lady who answered said she could not do anything to help me and suggested that I call back on Monday morning. So I called Brighter Blooms on Monday and spoke with Gina and told her that I wanted a full refund and also wanted to know when they would have Fed Ex pick up the Camellias. There were several back and forth phone calls but I finally received a full refund today (Friday) and Fed Ex did come on Wednesday to pickup the package.
I know this sounds positive but the whole experience feels negative. I spent a lot of personal time with phone calls and other related tasks plus the anxiety that they might try to refuse my demand for a full refund. I learned one important thing- always check reviews of on-line businesses BEFORE I place an order with them.
Company representative comment on July 26, 2013:
On Jul 26, 2013 12:53 PM, Brighter Blooms Nursery responded with:

Our order initially shipped on May 9th and delivered on May 11th. Our customer contacted us over the weekend when our Customer Service Dept. is closed. Monday AM she called, and got in touch with a representative who let her know we would issue a full refund, as well work with Fed Ex to remove the packages from her home. We issued a full refund for the order back to her original form of payment on May 14th , as well as had Fed Ex remove the packages at our expense. Our Customer Service Manager reached out to her via phone to apologize for the inconvenience, and issued a store credit for 50% of her order value. Our hopes was that we would have another opportunity to prove ourselves with this customer.
She was very grateful for the follow up call, and seemed satisfied with the resolution to the issue.

Positive Zephyr22
Syracuse, NY
May 13, 2013
Posted on May 13, 2013, updated May 13, 2013
Last June (2012, I ordered two Royal Empress trees and two Needle Palm trees from Brighter Blooms. The Royal Empress trees failed to live up to their "fast growing" description but, as directed, I cut them back to the ground this Spring and they seem to be responding well. I ordered the Needle Palms specifically for their "cold hardy" ability, as I live in Upstate New York. Although we had a milder than normal Winter, both Needle Palms have perished. As Brighter Blooms does not guarantee their plants beyond 45 days, I wasted both money and effort on my purchase.

I have decided to only deal with local suppliers and those who provide a minimum of a one year warranty from this point forward.

I submitted a comment to the Brighter Blooms website (which, on reflection, only provides glowing comments) on the Needle Palms to warn others that they might not live up to their hardiness claims.. Although the comment was submitted more than a week ago, it has not appeared.

Caveat emptor, I guess.
On May 13th, 2013, Zephyr22 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Within two hours of this posting, I received a call from Brighter Blooms customer service. It turns out that there was an error on their website for the hardiness of the Needle Palms. Josh, of Brighter Blooms, identified the error and has changed the page to reflect the actual hardiness.

He issued me a full store credit for the Needle Palms :-) I am pleased and surprised by the quick action to addess the issue.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]