The scoop on 'Four Winds Growers'

Four Winds Growers

3373 Sackett Lane
Winters, California 95694 (United States)

Phone: 877-449-4637

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive jcongdon
Chicago, IL
September 19, 2014
I've ordered 3 dwarf citrus trees and my girlfriend has ordered another 2 or 3, and there's a good reason we're continuous repeat customers. The trees look great and make great additions to the home. I've only had one issue with their trees and they were extremely quick to rectify the problem, so I don't hold that against them at all.
Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
July 4, 2014
Got a Vaniglia Sanguingo and I am utterly amazed with the quality of plant and the packaging it came in. I will definitely be ordering from them again in the future. This is a good mail-order source for Californians (where out-of-state citrus plants are prohibited) to order rare citrus varieties not readily available.
Negative reddove
Auburn Hills, MI
May 31, 2014
I ordered a three year old Organic Kieffer Lime tree on May 1, 2014. They thought it was best to wait and have it shipped on May 12 because I live in Michigan. I agreed. When the tree arrived I noticed many of the leaves had large insect holes. I took a closer look but found no large insects but did notice "white webbing". I took pictures and send them in an email to Four Winds Growers. I decided to call because I did not hear back from them and was concerned about something being brought into my home that could infect my other plants. They said their internet was down. They told me that the large holes were from katydid bugs and the tree should be OK. I told them about the white webbing and they said those were made by a small white moth and should have been cut off before the tree left. They suggesed a product and I told them I had read their booklet and the letter that they sent. I told them that I had already called every nursery within 60 miles, and no one has this product. They said they would ship the product out to me. I planted the tree according to all of the details they suggest. I uncurrled the leaves to find more white webbing and small white moths.
I cut the infected leaves off per their instructions. I am using steamed distilled water and a moisture meter. There were so few leaves left and the tree was not looking very good. The product they send for the tree was open and had leaked all over the shipping box. I do not know if this was their fault or the shipping company. I contacted them again and they said they would refund my money. They sent a check for the price of the tree. No refund for the shipping and handling charges which were almost as much as the tree. Now I am back to "square one" because this tree is dying, and I am out of the shipping and handing charges. I will be using Dave's Garden web site to look for another lime tree.
Positive krismast
Parkesburg, PA
April 29, 2014
Posted on October 16, 2012, updated April 29, 2014
A few years ago I bought a kaffir lime tree seedling from an Asian grocery store. It didn't make it through one winter indoors. I really wanted to try again and get another one but I couldn't find one anywhere locally! (Living in Pennsylvania that isn't much of a surprise, I was lucky to find the first one.) after some searching I found that Four Winds was a very highly recommended nursery. I was a little concerned about buying a tree from such a long distance. But I took the plunge and placed my order on a Sunday Afternoon. I got a message that Tuesday saying my order had been shipped! It was delivered on Thursday and I was home to open it immediately. I was so impressed with the health of a tree that had been shipped from one coast to another! Green healthy leaves with no apparent damage. I bare rooted the plant so I could plant it in a homemade mix. The roots were super healthy and white! Since then the tree has put out two new flushes of growth. I couldn't have been more pleased with the way this experience has gone. The tree is currently overwintering in my sunroom. I will post updates about how it goes soon! I can't wait to order more trees from Four Winds! You guys are the best!
On April 29th, 2014, krismast added the following:

Well it has been a year and a half now and my Kaffir lime is still as healthy as the day it arrived from four winds. Plus it is just now starting to flower for the very first time! I couldn't be happier.
Positive limabean
Exeter, NH (Zone 5b)
December 25, 2013
Two 3 yr old Meyer Lemon trees were shipped to New Hampshire in cold December and arrived looking perfect.
The colors of the leaves are different on the 2 trees so that is a bit of a mystery. The shipping costs are high (as much as one tree) but they did send live plants across the USA in 4 days arriving exactly the day predicted. I wish when ordering a Rapidtest Water Meter was suggested as it could have just gone in the same box. I didn't know about it until I receive the excellent planting instructions in the box. These trees will be indoors half the year and outside the other half. Wishing them well in 2014 and anyone reading this too. Merry Christmas!
Positive jaimelemon
St. Louis, MO (Zone 6a)
July 19, 2013
Posted on July 11, 2012, updated July 19, 2013
Thank you so much, Four Winds!!

I just received one of their 3 year old Pink Variegated Eureka Lemon trees. WOW!! I am so impressed!! It is exactly as described, and more than I had hoped for. It is very full and well-branched, a beautiful tree. The ordering process was very easy, and their customer service was very helpful both over the phone and via email. I had a couple of very minor questions that I emailed over, and they were answered within an hour of my hitting the send button. The tree was very well packaged, no damage at all. It looks like I just plucked it out of the nursery myself. Also, they sent along a very nice care brochure which tells you all that you need to know about growing, planting, watering, fertilizing your tree. I agree that their shipping costs seem a little high, but if you factor it into the inexpensive price of their trees, it makes it all worth it. I have purchased a few other citrus trees from other places, but nothing compares to the quality that I got from Four Winds. In fact, I am looking at my other trees and am sad that I didn't order them from Four Winds also. (And I paid the same, if not way more in some cases!!) My other citrus trees now pale in comparison to my newest addition. Oh well, you live and you learn. I will definitely head to Four Winds next time I am looking to order a tree with edibles. :)
On July 19th, 2013, jaimelemon added the following:

I just received a 3 year old Bearss Lime tree from Four Winds this week and it is BEAUTIFUL!! It is very well branched, leaves look great, and even has fruit already on it!! They sent me a confirmation email, and an email (with tracking number) letting me know it was shipping out. Again, they sent a lovely care brochure that explains everything you need to know. LOVE Four Winds!!!
Negative kkeller12345
Logan, UT
April 28, 2013
I ordered 3 three year old trees two were in acceptable shape and are showing new growth under MH grow lights. The third had major branches broken and was much smaller than the other two trees even before I trimmed all the broken branches off. Leaves started falling off after a couple days under the grow lights. After close to a month under optimal grow conditions It is beginning to show new growth but it is going to be a long time before any fruit will be supported. Like some of the others have stated I tried to contact them a few times and never even recieve acknowledgement of my emails. There wasn't any reciept included in the boxes nor did I recieve a confirmation email when I placed the order and I couldn't get them to respond to my inquiries for a receipt. These are high dollar trees and I would expect at least some customer service but there was none. I would have thought it to be a scam if I hadn't recieved the trees. I had the intention of buying quite a few more trees for a greenhouse but after my experience and seeing what other prices and vendors are out there I will not be patronizing this establishment again.
Company representative comment on July 11, 2013:
On Jul 11, 2013 1:39 PM, Four Winds Growers responded with:

Four Winds takes pride in its customer service, so we were surprised by this review. Occasionally there are problems with internet or phone service in our rural area, and this may have been part of the problem. We do send packing sheets with each order. They are enclosed with our How to Grow booklet. We did send an email to this customer to respond to his concerns but did not hear back from him.
If you have questions about our products or an order you have placed, call us at 877-449-4637 during business hours Monday Friday, or 24-7, check out fourwindsgrowers.com or send us an email to cs@fourwindsgrowers.com. We try to be conscientious about answering email, and look forward to hearing from people interested in gardening with edibles.

Negative plantingmom
Bayville, NJ
April 20, 2013
I received a dwarf meyer lemon tree as a gift from my husband that was filled with blossoms and was thrilled. But after a week realized it was filled with aphids!!!!!!!!! I have tried all the care instructions from their website for two weeks but they continue to regroup. I have tried to contact them through email but received NO response. Very disappointed. And wouldn't be buying anything from them.
Company representative comment on April 26, 2013:
On Apr 26, 2013 2:49 PM, Four Winds Growers responded with:

We were sad to see this negative comment in Dave's Garden since we did not receive the communication referred to and feel that we were not given an adequate opportunity to respond to the complaint. The best way to register such a concern is to call us toll free at 877-449-4637, ext. 1. We respond to all calls and messages received as soon as possible. Sometimes emails unfortunately go into spam or otherwise get lost. We NEVER deliberately ignore customer comments and always do our best to respond in a timely manner.
-Four Winds Growers

Positive Wweidele
North Plainfield, NJ
July 5, 2012
I just want to start by saying Four Winds staff THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! You guys are amazing!

Phew now that I got that out Im so happy that your amazing company makes it possible to own your own citrus tree anywhere in the country at an affordable price not only is the price so good I can not believe how great my first tree from you guys looks I was so nervous when I ordered and when I open the package I was so shocked to how green and lush and full the tree was, it was even better than you guys described. I wouldn't even hesitate to recommend you to everyone. Everything was perfect. Thanks again to everyone at Fourwinds

And a special thanks to Kerry by far the greatest Customer rep I have ever had to deal with she was not only kind but understanding with a problem I had and she corrected it and even helped me out further than she had to thank you again kerry..

***If your looking to buy a citrus tree look no further than four winds excellent in every category!***
Positive jmdsr1975
Flat Rock, MI
June 8, 2012
Hi everyone out there :)
I have been checking out the Garden Watchdog for years and was always too lazy to join the membership. But, I finally did so to give a honest and true opinion of the few companies I deal with mail order. Anyways, I have been dealing with Four Winds Growers for a couple of years now and am here to tell everyone out there that they truly work hard to keep you happy and satisfied. Kerrie, the Customer Service Manager is a great person with excellent customer service skills and will go out of his way to offer you the best of the best. This comment is NOT about one particular order, but over 15 or so orders. They dont argue you with about any issues you may have and often will ALWAYS replace their trees if something goes wrong. Things are taken care of promptly, usually within minutes. Emails are returned almost as fast as I can type it and send it to them. He does not make and break promises or give you the run around like many of the other online nurseries. I only deal with a few others out there, like Ted at Greenearth.net for banana plants, Florida Hill Nursery (different tropical plants, and Wellsprings Gardens (other different tropical plants) from many other bad experiences with other mail order nurseries. I wont name any of them, as it is not fair to them because I would never order from any of them again and it has been a long time since I did order, and hopefully they have fixed things for future customers. But, once is enough for me!!!! So, as an Electrical and Landscaping contractor with a fairly large company it is nice to have Kerrie and Four Winds Growers as a reliable and easy to deal with mail order nursery. As a matter of fact, I dont even deal with any other company for citrus trees, and never will as long as they are as great as they have been. They are always large, healthy and almost always thrive. That is a big plus in my business because I too have to keep my customers happy. But, as far as good points about Four Winds Growers, this is what you can HONESTLY expect:

*Great prices

*Fast shipping (Every monday like they promise)

*Friendly customer service

*Quick response times on any email or phone call (usually within minutes)

*Most importantly, big, healthy and disease free citrus trees with beautiful foliage, excellent grafts and rootstock with decent sizes)

But, I am not going to keep on going on and on, and I just felt it necessary to share my experience with Kerrie so maybe they can gain even more satisfied customers, of which he deserves. Give them a try, and rest assured you will be happy and hopefully add another good review for him. Thanks Kerrie and Four Winds, its always a pleasure to deal with you. Take care everyone out there and happy gardening!!!!

Jeff D. Millennium Electrical and Landscaping Contractors
Positive Cearbhaill
Russell, KY (Zone 6b)
April 21, 2012
I purchased two 2-3 year trees- a Dancy Tangerine and the ever popular Improved Meyer Lemon.

I try and confine the bulk of my online plant orders to vendors within 2 days shipping of me, but in the case of citrus I wanted to feel confident that I got the exact variety I ordered and that the trees has been properly grafted and well grown.
And not wanting to wait five years for a bloom, I wanted trees at least a couple of years old.
After doing some online research I determined that Four Winds had the best reputation so I ordered from them, still a bit wary of such extreme shipping distances. I followed along with the UPS tracking and saw that my trees were packed for shipping on the 17th and would arrive here on the 20th. That is a lot of dark for any plant and doubly so for citrus. To make matters worse, I am at the end of the line on my UPS route- my packages always arrive after 5PM.

Well, these two trees are enormous- far larger than I expected. The blemish free leaves are a bright healthy green and both trees are exceedingly well branched and balanced in appearance. The roots packed in wood shavings were still plenty moist when I received them and truly looked as if they had just been packed an hour previous, not four days ago.
I literally have not lost even one leaf.
You can tell by simple observation that they have been grown in excellent conditions- even the grafts are neat and perfect.
And I have blooms!

By a strange coincidence, my trees arrived five years to the day since I moved away from South Florida! To smell the fragrance of the very citrus blossoms I had in my backyard again was as great an "anniversary" gift as I could ever hope to give myself. Oh, how I have missed that smell!
They are divine!

Yes, the shipping is expensive.
The trees are quite the bargain, though, so if you look at it as a total price the shipping doesn't sting quite so badly. And what is it worth to know that you will receive exactly what you order, the grafts will be perfect, the trees the picture of health, of good size, well branched, and received with not one tiny bit of stress?
It's worth a whole lot in my opinion!
I do believe that these are as fine a tree as it is possible for a Florida-homesick lady in Kentucky to obtain- I can think of no higher praise.
If you want cheap I'm sure there are 100 other places to purchase your citrus plant.
But if you want the highest quality available buy from Four Winds Growers.
Negative tombaak
High Desert, NV (Zone 5a)
March 22, 2012
I spent $40 on a 2-3 year old Meyer Lemon tree. The tree I received looked healthy enough, but I was very disappointed in it's size.

The Four Winds website says:
"The Two-Three year trees... are over two feet tall."
"These trees have a trunk that can range between 1/2" and 3/4" in diameter."

My tree was barely 18" tall, not at all "well branched" as advertised, and the caliper of the trunk is not even .5 an inch. Sadly it looks nothing like the picture they show on their website of an employee holding a big lush, well branched, bare root tree.

All in all I would say that this tiny little tree was extremely overpriced!
I would not recommend this seller, at least for the "bigger" trees.

Neutral shablulim
Pittsfield, MA
February 9, 2012
I'll start with the good:
Shipping was prompt and the tree appears to be in good condition.

However, I have experienced from them the worst customer service ever, worse than with any large bank, credit card, or other company, and shocking when considering it is a small, family run company.

The story:
As soon as I received an email invoice from them, I realized I had made a small mistake in the billing address, just the apt. no. Assuming they needed an accurate address, I promptly sent them the following email : "Hello,
I just noticed I made a mistake in the billing info,
It is 123 X St. Apt. A
The rest of the address is correct and the shipping address is correct.
Please let me know when you are planning to ship.
Thanks very much,"

The next day I received a reply: "Address corrected. Order ships today via UPS 3 day select.
thank you."
I felt this was very fast. However, when the UPS notification email came I saw that Four Winds had exchanged the shipping and billing addresses, and had shipped the tree to the billing address, where there would be no one home to receive it. Not sure how such a mistake could happen, my email was very clear. I immediately sent them another email, requesting that they address this with UPS, which I, the receiver, cannot do. This email was ignored. I called the company, and spoke to the most cranky and irritable customer service rep. I have ever had the displeasure to speak with. I gave the order no. and repeated the problem. Her reply: "this was sooo unnecessary" and very reluctant to help. Hmm, ok. Still, I insisted. She was extremely unpleasant. Then asked for the correct address. I gave it to her. Again from her, testily: "This is all soooo unnecessary!" Well, excuse me for thinking that providing the correct billing address is the ethical thing to do! She did begrudgingly admit it was their fault and said: "this is going to cost us even more!". Even more??? I paid $48 for shipping! Clearly it had cost them nothing up to that point, if not a profit for them on shipping, and how unprofessional. The call ended. I maintained an even tone throughout, even while continuously being insulted by this Kerry. And this is by no means the end of the ordeal.

On the arrival day I kept checking the UPS website. At 12:15 the package was supposedly delivered. However, it was not here. UPS told me it was delivered to the billing address, with a change made by the shipper to the shipping address apt. no., in other words, not to the shipping nor to the billing address, but a mix of both. According to UPS the original address was the billing address, and the address as Four Winds changed it to was the same billing address, but with a new apt. number. Genius. The options: request the shipper to retrieve the package and reship, or go get it myself from the wrong address.
Not only 2 serious mistakes that indicate complete lack of attention or caring, but supremely rude treatment on the phone.
If you cannot obtain your citrus tree elsewhere, be super careful not to make even the tiniest mistake in your order. And if you must speak to customer service, ask to speak to anyone but Kerry, maybe you'll have better luck.
Positive taufgardner
American Fork, UT
January 4, 2012
Posted on July 21, 2011, updated January 4, 2012
Posted on April 9, 2011, updated July 21, 2011
Posted on December 8, 2010, updated April 9, 2011
I ordered the Dwarf Satsuma Orange. The tree that came was as good as or better than the description. Good, balanced foliage and a well developed root system. I have never grown citrus (being in Zone 5) and am interested to see how this addition to a new greenhouse works out. I was very happy to receive detailed instructions on soil prep, along with complete growing instructions. This experience, and an earlier experience with Stark Bros., make me more inclined to order live plants as both experiences have been very positive.
On April 9th, 2011, taufgardner added the following:

Spring has sprung and so has the tree. Blossoms and vigorous growth timed about exactly when the instructions said. i couldn't be happier. I will buy from these guys again.
On July 21st, 2011, taufgardner added the following:

Fruit set in the stated time frame and are developing very well. Got an added bonus: another set of blossoms in the last week or so. Did not expect two crops from this in a year and am extremely happy with this tree's performance. I wish I had a larger greenhouse or atrium, so I could try more of Four Wind's trees.
On January 4th, 2012, taufgardner added the following:

Wow! I ate the mandarins the tree produced the first part of December. Right on time. They were true to type and the best tasting I have ever had. I really do wish I had more room for more Four Winds trees. I am so happy with the experience.
Positive johny5
Paradise, CA
October 16, 2011
i bought 1 3n1 asian pear 1 3n1 plout tree at lowes
they looked better better than the other grower displayed
they were about 5ft tall and looked very healthy

UNFORTUNATELY for me a day after i had them planted the Neighborhood dear came by and ravished them i though one was going to die so far they are hanging in there especially after I bought some stakes and netting :)
hope they make it!!!
Positive juku
York Point, NS (Zone 5a)
June 27, 2011
This company and its customer service reps (Kerry) are wonderful to deal with. Her responses to my queries were prompt (within 24 hours), courteous, and clear, which made it easy for me to decide what to purchase, and I did.

I bought 2 2-3 year old plants Buddha's Hand Citron and Australian Finger Lime. The plants arrived on time, were so lush green that they look almost fake (:>). I was thrilled.

I really like to buy more from them in the future.

Highly recommended!
Positive GardenEmy
Perkasie, PA
May 14, 2011
I ordered a 2-3 year old Meyer Lemon tree and a 2-3 year old Moro Blood Orange from Four Winds. They arrived very well packaged, and very promptly.

What I really appreciated about this seller were the very detailed instructions that accompanied the plants. I'm a bit of a novice, and their instructions helped me avoid some mistakes I would otherwise have made.

If I need to order dwarf citrus again, I'll be ordering from Four Winds!
Positive bwinston
Sand Springs, OK
May 11, 2011
Had a bad experience with another grower and did not recieve my tree. (most of you probably know who I am talking about). (Growquest) I researched Four Winds and found that they were A-1 rated. Ordered on a Thursday, recieved an email on friday telling me my dwarf bearss lime tree would ship on monday and I had it on wednsday. Tree was in perfect condition. If you looking for a dwarf citrus tree don't go anywhere else.
Positive mad_cat
Pittsburg, CA
April 14, 2011
I ordered an Australian Finger Lime and got it in a week in a great condition. Definitely I will be ordering from them again when I am ready for my next project on my backyard.
Positive mrs_colla
Marin, CA (Zone 9b)
March 10, 2011
Posted on November 26, 2010, updated March 10, 2011
Posted on June 5, 2010, updated November 26, 2010
Posted on November 18, 2009, updated June 5, 2010
Posted on November 14, 2009, updated November 18, 2009
Posted on December 16, 2008, updated November 14, 2009
Nice plants, well packed, better than I had hoped for.
Will order again!
On November 14th, 2009, mrs_colla added the following:

I have received three healthy trees, ready to bloom, so nicely packed. I love this nursery!
On November 18th, 2009, mrs_colla added the following:

I bought 2 variegated citrus 2/3 years old, and 2 sour oranges 1 year old. The little ones are true babies, you can see the little grafts, but they have a very nice set of roots.
I am sure all trees will thrive for me, as have their brothers and sisters!
Thank you Four Winds!!!
On June 5th, 2010, mrs_colla added the following:

Whoever just posted the very negative review, mentioning that most positive reviews must be fake, and that someone needs to tell the truth about this grower, I am taken aback!
I have ordered directly from them, and I have bought their stock at other nurseries. I have been very very pleased, and can show pictures of the happy trees to anyone asking me.
I stand behind this nursery.
On November 26th, 2010, mrs_colla added the following:

I have ordered 2 more trees and they have reached me in pristine conditions.
These trees are consistently the best on the market, they are packed very well.
I am sold for life!
On March 10th, 2011, mrs_colla added the following:

3 more trees are standing firmly in my garden, thanks! They are consistently packed well, with a huge root mass and very healthy too.

I have so many trees from this grower, and I am happy to report that all my trees, ordered over 6 years, are not only living, but thriving.

Thanks, Christie Colla

Positive treece36
New Castle, PA
February 12, 2011
We live in Pennsylvania and heard of this company by word of mouth, not just by internet search!!
Excellent condition of trees. Ordered a meyer lemon and kaffir lime.
Appreciate the literature sent with the trees. Wouldn't hesitate to order again from this great company.
Positive gregr18
Bridgewater, MA (Zone 6b)
September 11, 2010
I ordered 2 dwarf Bergamot Oranges from Four Winds. These are difficult trees to find here in the US, but Four Winds had them, and they were GOOD GOOD plants. I ordered the 2-3 year old trees, and they came packed very nicely, pruned minimally, and with huge root systems. I was really pleased with the quality of those two trees, and I recommend their trees without hesitation.
Positive pscheeline
Winters, CA
September 4, 2010
Have purchased numerous dwarf and full size citrus trees as well as blueberry bushes over the past two years. Have been extremely pleased with the service and the plants. Couldn't ask for anything better!
Positive Rexxin
Holmdel, NJ
August 23, 2010
Ordered a Mini naval orange tree. It came quickly was very well packaged and 3 months later it is growing like a weed and in excellent condition.
Positive cwgarg
Granby, MA
August 2, 2010
After reading the reviews, and reading the ONE negative, I felt the need to also report my experience with Four Winds. I am from Mass, and ordered 2 Citrus trees from them. Both were 2-3yr old trees, one being a Meyer Lemon, the other an Orange. Both arrived from Cali within 2 days of shipping, and their customer service was also very nice.

The trees arrived, and were in amazing condition. Bright green leaves, and even some beautiful new growth already on them. I was actually surprised at the size of the lemon tree for being only a 2-3 year old. I have had them for 2 weeks now, and the Lemon has started growing at a very very rapid pace, while the Orange tree is only just starting to grow.

I must also comment. Doesn't anyone else find it funny how out of all the reviews, there was only 1 negative one, and how he claimed that the only trees that he has killed were from Four Winds? Seems like someone who messed up, and is looking for someone to blame.

Myself personally, I am soon to purchase, a Lime, Grapefruit, Blood Orange, and most likely another Lemon down the road since I cook with Lemons a few times a week. I could not be more happy with how their customer service was, their shipping, and the quality of the trees, excellent company, and excellent product as well! Lets also not forget that this is the same farm that actually created the Improved Meyer Lemon tree back in the 50's. They clearly have the knowledge as well as the passion for Citrus Trees, I would not buy from anywhere else.
Positive Sludgehammer
Weed, CA
July 4, 2010
I ordered a one year old Centennial Variegated kumquat on June 22, it shipped on June 28 and I received it on June 29. The tree was healthy, about one and a half feet tall, and I'm satisfied with it. Not much else to say.
Positive blackdogga
Carrollton, GA
April 30, 2010
I ordered four one-year old dwarf citrus. I got an email confirmation, an email letting me know they had shipped, and four lovely little trees. They are bigger than I expected, very well packed, and healthy, happly little plants. thanks.
Neutral obscurity2
Glenmont, NY
April 26, 2010
My husband has always wanted a grapefruit tree. He had gone so far as to pick out the type (Oroblanco) and nursery (Four Winds) before we had anywhere to put plants. Now that we do, I ordered (on January 21st) plants to arrive for his birthday (February 18th), choosing the expensive fast winter shipping and including a birthday message. They did confirm my order by e-mail. As I had heard nothing further, I called them on February 17th. The lady said they weren't shipping due to cold weather, and that no they don't always advise if they are not going to ship, seeming fairly unconcerned about the birthday aspect, other than to ask if I would still want the plants at a later date. Then she said, "oh, you ordered back on January 21st " - I thought.... - "we can't hold your order then as it will be over a month" - I was speechless.

My reaction was to burst into tears as I explained to my husband why I didn't have anything for his birthday. I would never have ordered again from this company.

However, my husband was determined and he ordered this tree from this company again in March. This time the tree arrived promptly and he is very happy with it.
Negative arthurburnss
San Jose, CA
April 16, 2010
i have purchased a number of trees from this nursery, which is based in northern california and i think has expanded to fast and its quality and value for the money is the worst i have ever seen at any large nursery. it looks like a rip off operation to me shipping very young trees in five gallon pots with no rootball grow out.

the first tree was an avocado tree...it was infected with root rot from the get go, as the avocado was planted in an elevated bed with soil amended with sand and mulch. after a heavy water in the avocado plant leafs drooped, which they never do when i have a healthy avocado. i had it for a year and it had all the symptons of root rot, which i verified. i had to dig up all the soil and throw it away and now have a great tree from a large commercial grower in its place. it is important to only buy avocados from growers who grow for commercial orchards as the plant quality is not high.

i purchased a dwarf citrus from these people and it also had to have root rot and be dug up despite being in a mound. after replacing the dirt and spraying a fungicide i have a lovely citrus in the same place.

i bought another citrus from them to find out it had a very bad insect infestation, and despite spraying the tree never produced well so i ripped it out. the rootstock was too weak and it was just a lousy tree despite my trying to mulch it back to health.

i would never, ever buy another plant from 4 winds. their business got to big with the big box stores and their quality is terrible. simply the worst i have ever seen. and all the really good commercial nursery for avocado and citrus are in SOUTHERN california or Central california where most of the avocado and citrus commerical crop is. these guys are in northern california making tons of money selling immature, and poor quality trees to retail suckers.

reliable growers i can recommend are dave wilson nursery, sierra gold, la verne nursery, c&m nursery, and browkaw nursery all of whom grow for large commercial producers.

avoid these guys their quality is gone and they are sitting on large extremely valuable land in fremont california and look to be coasting waiting for a land sale to a developer i expect.

i wish i could send them a bill for the dead and diseased trees and all the effort i spent nursing their poor stock.

rich guys at 4 winds and fruit poor and poor customers. i wish someone had been honest about these guys and suspect many of these posts are pure bullshit.

i am pleased to see that several of the nursery nearby where i live have stopped using 4 winds this year and are going with La Verne, so now i dont have to drive down to Piru to pick out my orchard stock

I have over 100+ fruit trees. I know what I am doing and 4 winds are the only trees i have killed, but largely due to their sending out clearly diseased trees and weak shoddy trees.

try the growers i recommend especially if your buying a lot of trees and you will be very happy with them.

whatever recipe 4 winds had, if they ever had one, is clearly gone.

state inspections don't mean squat the people that inspect nursery stock dont know what they are doing in most cases.
Company representative comment on April 22, 2010:
On Apr 22, 2010 2:00 PM, Four Winds Growers responded with:

Four Winds Growers is sorry that you have not had good luck with some of our products. Your experience is not typical and we hope that you will contact us directly to discuss your situation. If a customer has issues, we appreciate having an opportunity to respond and try to correct the problem.

Four Winds Growers is a family run business that has been in operation for over 50 years. We pride ourselves on our plant quality and customer service. We do not sell plants that are diseased.

If there is ever a problem with our products, we encourage customers to contact us directly at cs@fourwindsgrowers.com. We stand by the plants we sell and will do everything we can to insure that you are satisfied with your purchase.

Positive gourdobean
Minden, NV
March 23, 2010
My 2 little kaffir lime trees came and already feel like part of the family. What a wonderful company to work with! They notify well before they ship just in case the date doesn't work for you. The trees arrived with plenty of foliage and nice size root balls. Perhaps a little pricey...but the ease of doing business with the company is worth the extra money. Jocelyn
Positive starlady42
State College, PA
March 9, 2010
Ordered 2 1-year trees. Wonderfully packed (their boxes are ingenious) and arrived promptly -- I'm in CA, so shipping was fast and inexpensive, though I imagine it's pricier if you're further away. The trees are larger than I thought they'd be at 1 year -- the rootstock is thicker (about 1/2") than the scion (about 1/4") but I imagine the scion will catch up quickly, and the trees are about 18" tall and leafed-out beautifully. They weren't cheap, but seem to be well worth the money -- MUCH better than getting a skinny whip from somewhere else. I look forward to delicious fruit in a couple of years!
Positive heymoe1
Elgin, IL
January 30, 2010
My love for Four Winds started quite a few years ago. I had to make a business trip to the San Francisco area. My trip involved a stay over a weekend. I had heard about Four Winds, and decided to pay a visit to the nursery! I went there, and met an older gentleman. He was so very pleasant, and seemed to appreciate my interest in citrus and dwarf trees! He proceeded to take me in a golf cart, and gave me a tour and first-hand explanation of the nursery and of the dwarf tree process. I got to watch the workers grafting the new trees onto the root stock, and the process is truly interesting and amazing! I don't remember the gentleman's name, but I will never forget that visit. I did leave with the purchase of a tree, and have bought and grown several, in containers, since!

I will always give my thumbs-up to Four Winds. Their products are of high quality, and the assortment they have is quite extensive!

THANK YOU FOUR WINDS!!!
Positive davecito
Carrboro, NC
September 27, 2009
Four Winds was my first online plant ordering experience, and it was a nice one indeed.

I ordered 1-year calamondin and yuzu trees. Shipping was a bit pricey - I wanted the trees here (cross-country) quickly, to limit any potential shipping damage; their service was prompt indeed. They were very swift in responding to my lone question.

And both trees have done quite well. A bit too early for them to bear any fruit, but the calamondin was quite lush when it arrived and has continued to do well. The yuzu looked - at first - a bit over-pruned, but as soon as autumn temperatures hit here, it responded with a big burst of very vigorous growth, and is looking like a very happy plant indeed. So overall I am quite happy with both.

I am fast approaching the limit of what I can accomodate in my apartment, but I am planning to order another couple plants from them in the near future.
Neutral slave041379
Santa Clarita, CA
September 10, 2009
2 year trees aren't very big, just in case you didn't know that. They even told me to buy locally first, but I wanted to know that I was getting exactly what I wanted.

I was disappointed in the size of the trees for almost $40 a piece. Later I looked at lowes and their trees were 2 times the size for half as much, same variety.

I was very happy with the condition of the trees, they even held up a couple of days bare root until I could plant them. I talked to the owner when I called with a question on the weekend and they were very nice people.

So while I would never give them a negative, I wouldn't go positive based on the size of the trees that I received. Neutral seemed to fit as I just wanted this to inform others that the 2 year trees are not very big. With all that said I'd order from them again if I really needed to buy a rare variety as they have many, they did provide viable trees, and the customer service was excellent. So don't let me scare you off, but remember 2 year trees aren't very big (12-20inches).
Positive K4CLE
Germantown, TN (Zone 7b)
July 10, 2009
I have been ordering from Four Winds Growers for nearly twenty years now. I have even visited with these fine folks and toured their operation in Freemont, CA. Just ordered and received a 2 year old Eureka Lemon tree, and as I expected, it arrived in perfect condition. As you can see from everyone that has left comments, I just don't think you can go wrong by ordering from Four Winds Growers!
Positive mhoffman1978
Chicago, IL
June 11, 2009
I've ordered twice from Four Winds, the first time about two years ago and recently again last week. I've received a 2-3 y.o. nagami kumquat and kaffir lime, and a smaller 1 yr kumquat.

The quality of the trees has been great each time. The kaffir lime is now 4-5 yrs and hasn't fruited in my too-dark apartment, but both kumquats have done amazingly well even without outdoor exposure.

One warning: the shipping is quite prompt and arrived earlier than the stated delivery date each time. This was actually problematic for me, as the first time this happened no one was around to receive the trees and they were stolen out of my urban apartment mailroom. Four Winds replaced them. If you've got shrinkage issues with your mail, be sure to watch for the trees a day early and don't rely on the delivery date.
Positive pilgrim317
Inman, KS
May 29, 2009
I ordered seven dwarf citrus trees in April. They all arrived well packed and in good shaped. Shipping was expensive but all plants were as advertised and in great shape. I'd definitely order from them again.
Positive kauaimom
Moss Beach, CA
April 2, 2009
This was my first time ordering from an online nursery, and I was a bit nervous. I just received my Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree, and it is in great health and much larger then I thought it would be. It already has buds! Shipping was very fast, even though I paid by check. The plant arrived before my check even cleared!
I will oder from them again in the future.
Positive hugh_g
Water Valley, MS
March 24, 2009
I teetered back and forth about ordering some dwarf citrus from
Four Winds because of the price(cost + shipping to Mississippi).
After receiving my plants, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised.
In fact, I went around my school showing off my trees and giving out the Web address.
Thanks
Positive kumquat79
Boston, MA
December 2, 2008
Early spring of 2007, I ordered Meyer lemon, Satsuma mandarin, and Meiwa kumquat trees. All arrived in excellent condition - the kumquat tree even had some fruit.

I failed miserably at maintaining them, but I got some helpful suggestions when I emailed the company. I feel they went above and beyond in terms of customer service.