The scoop on 'Plow & Hearth'

Plow & Hearth

Madison, Virginia 22727 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-494-7544

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies.

Comments:

Negative CamyA
Roseville, CA
December 8, 2014
placed this order online and received the email receipt telling me to expect my order in 5-7 days... Six days later I looked online to check the status of my order, since I haven't heard anything else from them (except daily emails advertising other products) and it could not be found! When I spoke to Dixie (customer service!) I was told after a while that my order just arrived TODAY and will be shipped "in the next FEW DAYS" and I should expect my items in 5-7 business days from that time!!! So an order placed on the 2nd will arrive before Christmas! This is 5-7 days delivery for Plow and Hearth! When asked to talk to a supervisor I was told they were busy and basically denied one... This was a first for me, Plow and Hearth shame on you! You have NO customer service and do not care about your customer's satisfaction. I understand things happen and orders can be delayed but you let your customer know, a supervisor should always be available to talk to a customer, especially in customer service, and since you admitted your mistake you find ways to remediate it! Really, business 101! Again, shame on you, I was expecting more, since I was not dealing with a comp in the third world... Although it felt like it!"
Negative cdattath
San Diego, CA
August 13, 2014
I ordered tier curtains and valance using my first time user promo discount (which waived shipping cost). When they arrived they looked cheap. I returned them as is. I was shocked to see them not only charge me a return fee (as they have not so conspicuosly shown on their website) but also slap me with the original shipping cost!
Not only is that a "you keep it we like you enough to bear your shipping by offering you a discount, but you return it we dont know you" attitude - but also when I chatted and called them on phone to discuss this they were adamant about it.
So if you ever buy here and return (which they treat as a crime) - you not only lose your one time discount (this I accept) but are also responsible for the original shipping cost (of which there is no mention anywhere).
I have not seen any service so not customer and return friendly.
Even if that were their twisted policy they could have waived it one time to establish good will with a first time user like me. But apparently they don't care. I am never buying again with them.
Negative spro
River Vale
United States
June 28, 2014
I ordered the Set of Three Nesting Plant Stands for $129.95 which arrived a few days later on Wed, June 25. On Fri, June 27 (just 2 days later) I received an email from Plow & Hearth promoting a sale. The plant stands had just been reduced to $89.99.

On Friday I called customer service explaining that I had just received the plant stands 2 days ago and asked if they would credit me the difference so I would pay the sales price. The CS rep said she could not make that decision and that I would hear back from someone in a few days.

On Saturday I received an email saying that they would not credit me the difference. Every retailer I have EVER purchased from (including the discount chains) has extended this courtesy if I have discovered that an item that I recently purchased has just gone on sale. I had only had the item for 2 days!

This is such poor customer service, no customer wants to feel like they were taken advantage of. Needless to say, I will not be shopping with P&H again and will return the plant stands as they are still in the box. They have lost a customer and I won't recommend them to anyone.
Negative TheLievense
Arlington, MA
May 12, 2014
Ordered a gift a week before Mother's Day and it NEVER shipped. No explanation given when I contacted Customer Support other than to say "well we can cancel the order for you". Absolutely TERRIBLE experience and I would never recommend them to anyone.
Negative cypressdrive
Clermont, FL
December 17, 2013
I ordered 2 glider chairs that they advertised on their website as a black Friday special. They were heavily discounted. I received a confirmation email for my order and it said to expect delivery in 7 to 9 business days. Well, time marched on and I hadn't gotten anything so I went back to the email I received and looked up a number for customer service. After three calls and three different numbers I found out my order had been canceled. They ran out of stock and were not honoring the price for any back orders. They claimed they had sent me a letter and tried to call me but my order didn't have my phone number on it. Those claims are false! This company is not ready for prime time. They were obviously over whelmed with orders and decided to welch on their end of things rather than satisfy customers. Avoid these people!
Neutral mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
May 8, 2011
May 2011 I do love their catalog. Have ordered several times in the past but did just have a very bad experience with phone order. Ordered a gift (I always take notes when I order--glad I did). I ordered very early with plenty of leeway for a special day. Ultimately had to call and check and there was no record of my order at all. They sent the items by 2-day air at no charge to me for the special air handling but I should never have had to call. Debbie handled this problem excellently. She almost made it pleasant !!!
Negative anhthemantran
Schenectady, NY
May 7, 2011
5/7/2011 ONLINE ORDERING EXPERIENCE WAS HORRIFIC. Gift message that was entered wasn't saved and it doesn't give you any error message. I would not have found out unless i had called in to change other details of the order. Service rep extremely rude resistant to help. spent 30+ minutes on the phone chasing someone down for help, only to have to dictate and spell out every single word of the gift message. I will never purchase here again.
Negative dianab81
Austin, TX
December 21, 2009
Plow and Hearth is a terrible company to do business with. I will NEVER place an order with them again. On 12-9-2009 plow and hearth placed my order twice and double shipped and double billed for the merchandise. Today is now 12-21-2009 and they are STILL refusing to refund my order that THEY double shipped. I have called on the 9th, the 14th, and the 21st. Each person has promised me a supervisor or a specialist will contact me in 24 hours...no one has returned my phone calls or called me about my order. I WANT MY MONEY BACK AND I WILL NEVER, NEVER PLACE AN ORDER WITH PLOW AND HEARTH AGAIN!!!!!!!!! BUYER BEWARE THIS IS A TERRIBLE COMPANY TO DO BUSINESS WITH!
Positive sudada10
Rogersville, TN
June 8, 2006
I bought a wicker garden swing 5 years ago. it started to unravel, even though it was on a screened in porch and rarely used. When Plow and hearth was contacted with the problem, they immediately sent me a gift certificate for the cost of the swing. I'd recommend this company any time.
Neutral Fullcircle
Trevilians, VA
May 22, 2006
We've been to both Madison & Barracks Road locations of this store. While some gardening merchandise offered is often imaginative and different, the quality is not always what you'd expect, especially for the price. Many nominally interesting items that are overpriced as well.
Positive tandarat
Mira Loma, CA
May 9, 2006
I ordered a ceramic solar fountain from them. I received it before I expected, and it was beautiful. Unfortunately, the solar panel was shattered. I called the next day (a Friday), and the person on the other end was very apologetic and said they would send a new solar panel immediately. I received a confirmation via email early this morning (the Tuesday after I called) that the panel has been shipped.

I was expecting to have to repack everything and send it back. This is the first company I have dealt with that will actually send a replacement part for something like this...very impressed.

After searching for a solar fountain, and browsing through many catalogs, I would call their prices average, with some higher and some lower. However, I am very impressed with their customer service so far, and will definitely order from them in the future, even if I'm paying a bit more. I received better service than I have from some "walk-in" stores, and this makes all the difference.

Michelle
Positive JWB
Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a)
December 10, 2005
All of the items I ordered, except one, came quickly and were good quality. I e-mailed customer service about the item I never received and they promptly sent a replacement. I later found out that UPS had delivered my original item to the wrong address, so it wasn't Plow & Hearth's fault.
Neutral 75751
Fort Mill, SC (Zone 7b)
March 23, 2005
The hexagonal and pyramid planters that are offered by
Plow and Hearth are incredibly difficult to assemble.
After many hours, they are completed for average
appearance. Not what I expected at all.

I would shop again with Plow and Hearth, however I would
advise not to purchase these planters.
Positive cchiovitti
Lochbuie, CO (Zone 5b)
March 11, 2005
I've ordered Christmas gifts from the Plow and Hearth catalog (ordered on the web, though) and they are a little pricey, it's worth it to me since I don't have to drive a long way with kids in tow and battle shopping crowds to get exactly what I'm looking for. They always arrive promptly and some baking mixes I ordered this year were attractively packaged for gifts and were much larger than any I saw In stores.
Positive msanjelpie
Meridian, ID
June 17, 2004
Ordered a garden fountain. For the size and weight the shipping charges were just right. Didn't feel like they were making a profit on that... Was amazed when the fountain showed up so quickly... Recommend to all...

DECOBUG
Positive Commonsense
Rock Hill, SC (Zone 7b)
June 5, 2004
Plow and Hearth has a great catalog with lovely items and VERY high prices. However, I did find a solar fountain in their catalog which I'd been unable to find anywhere else (don't get me started on the lack of solar products).

After I got it I thought I might have a problem with it, so I e-mailed their customer service people. I received a polite and helpful answer almost immediately. They send me a postage sticker so I could return the fountain if I decided to do that.

Turns out I didn't need to return it. I was very impressed with their customer service people and I would order from them again with confidence.
On August 3rd, 2004, Commonsense added the following:

After a couple of months, the pump began to gradually diminish in output. After taking it apart and cleaning it several times I ran out of patience. Even though I'd used it for all that time, Plow and Hearth sent me a return mailing label and quickly credited my card.

Although in general their prices are pretty high, I feel that since they have such absolutely EXCELLENT customer service I might very well be ordering from them in the future. When they say they accept returns after any length of time, they mean it!

Well done, Plow & Hearth.
Positive RunnerBean
Chicago, IL
August 20, 2003
Excellent selection and the best prices I've found! Check them for obelisks, trellises and a lot of other great structures.
Positive janea
South Orange, NJ
January 8, 2002
Good selection of garden decor and some tools. Everything I've purchased so far (arch, compost bin, screens, cold frame) has been of high quality and has arrived promptly. When one instruction manual was missing a page, they faxed it to me within minutes of my phonecall.