The scoop on 'Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com)'

Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com)

Achterweg-zuid 33c
Lisse, 2161 DX
(Netherlands)

Phone: 1- 866 891 1002

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
November 22, 2013
I ordered Lily of the Valley, Crocus, and Gladiolus nanus from them via 2 separate orders. Will not know how they do until next year. I am giving them a positive review based on the service I received. Very prompt shipment (free all the way from Netherland). The pips and bulbs look fine when arrived. One crocus I ordered was out of stock. To my pleasant surprised, they replaced it with a different kind (Cream Beauty) that is not on their website. I just love the color! I had a question about the size of the Gladiolus nanus (6/7 cm) being too small to bloom next year. Their customer reps reassured me they will bloom next year. Since they are the size as described in the ad, I can't really fault them even if they don't bloom. I appreciate their prompt response to all my request and questions. Especial thanks to Nikki for all her help.
Negative soundsoftexas
Choctaw, OK
September 2, 2013
the minute i logged on to their site, i was hit by a serious virus which completely knocked out my machine - within 12 hours, my bank account was hit for over $1100 and the vendor, of course, was from somewhere in Europe - strange I'd say. I'll never log on to their website again.
Negative CyndeeT
Maple Hill, NY (Zone 6b)
July 8, 2013
on May 8th 2013 I placed $230.+ order with bulbsdirect.com=
Papaver, Rudbeckia,Dahlia,Amaryllis, Anemone, Astilbe, Ranunculus and more.
on or around memorial weekend I had NOT received my order & emailed bulbsdirect.com . Their response was timely. They would reship what they could, they verified my address. An email came approximately a week later that they were reshipping some items, but not all. No refund for the difference? so far I emailed again 2 weeks later. still no plants. My planting season is getting shorter still NO ORDER. Well it's now JULY 8th= 60 days no plants no refund yet. I am hugely disappointed my growing/planting season window for perennials has ended as well as my patience. I will have to say I definitely did NOT do my homework. Had I read the posts here I would have NEVER Placed this order. So, if you are like me, you will get burned too. Then you will come to this forum & post your headache. SAD very SAD I live for my Flower Gardens
Company representative comment on September 4, 2013:
On Sep 4, 2013 12:15 PM, Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com) responded with:

Dear Customer,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

Your initial shipment went wrong because the address provided was wrong.

We reshipped your order asap.

The fact that this second shipment did not arrive despite the corrected address is very bad luck, we send out thousands of parcels, and very few do not arrive.

We stop shipping at the start of June because planting season ends for our products, they would fail.

We were therefore unable to reship your full order.
Some products were no longer available and new crop is not available for shipping until the end of August or even next Spring (Dahlias are not shipped in Autumn since they are not hardy).

We should have communicated this clearly and have given you the option to get the remainder in Autumn or have given a refund straightaway. Now the system assumed the remainder would be shipped in Autumn and next Spring automatically

In the mean time you have received a full refund for your order, but we understand that you are disappointed that you did not receive the actual plants.

Negative jtallman
Modesto, CA
June 21, 2013
I ordered $100 worth of ranunculus, bearded iris, and nanus gladiolus from this company because they had the best prices. You get what you pay for...the bulbs arrived and were all very small, and some of the gladiolus had rot holes. The iris rhizomes looked very, very dried out - not like other rhizomes I have planted. What's more, the planting directions given on the package were inappropriate for my zone (Zone 9A) and so the iris all rotted in the ground - not a single one sprouted. The iris were sold as being appropriate for Zone 9, but little did I know that they must be planted at the soil surface and not 4" deep as recommended on the package. The ranunculus sprouted and were weak at best, still waiting for the glads to bloom. Only bright side is that the company finally refunded me for the iris after sending 3 emails. They said they had responded twice before, but I never received their emails (from the sounds of other reviewers, this doesn't seem like an isolated occurrence). I won't order from them again as I would rather pay extra money for top-size bulbs and more informed growing information.
Company representative comment on September 4, 2013:
On Sep 4, 2013 9:08 AM, Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com) responded with:

Dear Customer,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with us

All flowerbulbs you ordered are guaranteed, we are happy to send you new ones or give you a refund for the remainder that has not been refunded yet.

However I would like to state that we do not ship rotten flowerbulbs. All bulbs are pre-inspected by USDA inspectors just before we ship, we are not allowed to ship bulbs before they are inspected and approved. We do ship live products and sometimes they fail due to all sorts of circumstances, but that is why we have the guarantee.

It's true that in some rare cases people seem to not receive our emails, but you can always contact us direct thru our toll-free hotline as mentioned on our website.

Negative troutbend
Drake, CO
June 21, 2013
Ordered last year, one bare root plant and iris rhizomes. The plant was dead, dry, and brittle. I planted it indoors anyway, to get it started, and it never did anything but sit there nailed to the perch and pining for the fjords. Honestly, it just looked like floor sweepings. Their customer service was extremely snotty about it, said their "expert inspector would never make a mistake or send shoddy merchandise" and I had to send them a picture of that dead little bit of trash to get a refund.

The iris didn't look too good, either, but I planted them anyway. They also appeared to be whatever had fallen on the floor and the packers grabbed a handful and called it order fulfillment. There were some bonus free Dutch iris bulbs (not the type I ordered) and ironically, they did bloom last summer, but the ones I paid for never did a thing. This year no plants have appeared, not even the free ones. I am giving up on the lot of them. If you can believe the company's website, their European customers are thrilled to death with their products, so I think they should stick to that side of the pond and not bilk us Americans out of our money and give us false promises.

Also, Bulbs Direct sold my email address, so now I get all kinds of Euro Spam in my mail box.
Company representative comment on September 3, 2013:
On Sep 3, 2013 11:18 AM, Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com) responded with:

Dear customer

Sorry to hear that you were not happy with the performance of our products.
Your order is guaranteed, we would be happy to send you new flowerbulbs free of charge this Autumn.

We do not, and never will, trade email addresses. of our customers.

Positive jessflowergirl
Fort Bragg, CA
April 30, 2013
I placed an order from this company through Amazon.com. I ordered 60 freesia bulbs. The estimated delivery date from amazon was going to be about 3 weeks. I was suprised when I found my package a week later sitting in my mailbox! The bulbs are very very small, and inconsistent with size, but all looked healthy. Seeing as how I just planted them I can't speak to how many have grown, but will update soon. I am giving a positive experiance for price, selection, and expediancy of shipping. If they grow, I hope to do more business!
Positive karenmsmith7
Chicago, IL (Zone 5b)
April 30, 2013
I just received my latest order from this company, and the plants were sturdy and clearly alive. Over the years I've ordered from them a number of times and most of my experiences have been positive. I now have thriving clumps of Echinops, Aconitum, Brunnera, Anemone hybrida Pamina, Dicentra, and Geranium himalayensis acquired at little cost from this source. There have been failures, however, most notably Astrantia major a few years back, which arrived dried out but did sprout before succumbing. On the whole the successes are worth the occasional failure, given the price and the usual quality.
Positive Mylena1
Cliff Island, ME
April 20, 2013
I like to deal with this company. I like their plants and their prices and they always ship very fast. I am sure that all the companies have problems with their plants, and Bulbs Direct is no exception, but I like the way they settle all the problems, and I have always been satisfied. Not all has been ideal in my work with this company, but if I like something they offer I will never have doubt about ordering because I am sure they will do their best to please me. Thank You.
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
April 18, 2013
Posted on April 6, 2013, updated April 18, 2013
I received my order today and upon unpacking I saw the all too familiar and very disappointing sealed plastic bags of dried roots in peat moss, like you used to get from cheap nursery sources. These things are factory sealed by the supplier one season without a date stamp and can sit on the shelf for years without knowing how old they are. When they are finally shipped, a new sticker is stuck on them. This appears to be the case with the Monarda, Astrantia and Heuchera I received. The Astrantia fell apart like dust in my fingers and the crown completely disintegrated before my eyes. The Monarda was small and completely dry sticks that easily broke in half when bent, and the Heuchera were the same. These all definitely looked like they were more than 1 season old. Conversely, the Gladiolus and Anemone bulbs were of the proper count and looked very healthy. I would order bulbs again from them but I highly recommend you stay away from any roots and rhizomes. They are not potted, just dry (supposedly dormant) roots in peat moss. The problem is, it would appear they've been dormant for more than a year and have become a fire hazard. I've emailed and am waiting for a response.
On April 18th, 2013, reeve1 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

This should be positive.. Thanks!
Positive dylanrose123
West Jordan, UT
March 28, 2013
I E mailed the company regarding planting instructions on my bulb order. The instructions were on the website however wanted to verify that I understood them correctly as I am a beginner. Within a day I received a detailed well thought out e mail from Nikki. She went the extra mile in answering my questions. There are a lot of online providers that provided the same services however outstanding customer service and impeccable knowledge is what separates the good from the best. Bulbs Direct is the best. I do intense research before making a purchase. If you are the same , save yourself a little time and buy here. You will be glad you did.
Positive buggzter
Ypsilanti, MI
March 27, 2013
I ordered a number of items (36 bulbs/plants total, 10 different items) on March 9th from Amazon.com as one item they did have was showing as out of stock on their main page. It took only 10 days to get to me - although it's a tad early to put in the ground here, I'll be able to plant in about another week or so. All the plants look wonderful and very good size. I can hardly wait for them to come up! Great packaging too.

Very pleased right now - will update if there are problems with growth or customer service issues in the future, but I do plan on ordering from them again for sure!
Positive mpfund1
Ukiah, CA
January 20, 2013
I ordered bulbs for a xmas gift, and ordered timely per their website. The bulbs did not arrive in time. I emailed the company stating that I was disappointed and they refunded the total purchase! I know things go wrong sometimes, but these folks did more than necessary to make it up.

I will definitely order from them again.
Positive bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA (Zone 8a)
October 3, 2012
This year is my second season ordering from Bulbs Direct. Their prices are wonderful, and I've never had any problems with their products. Sometimes the shipping can take a while (they ship from Denmark), but they're never too late that I can't plant the bulbs. This year, one of the packages got lost in the mail, and they promptly sent a replacement without charge.
Positive LD1234
Winsted, CT
June 4, 2012
We ordered a large quantity of bulbs (600 - too many varieties to name) and are very happy to report 50 have sprouted already. The bulbs looked to be in great condition and we look forward to the rest coming up as well; overall very pleased with their performance so far, especially for the price. We will order from them again.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
June 1, 2012
Posted on March 12, 2012, updated June 1, 2012
Posted on March 5, 2012, updated March 12, 2012
I recently placed an order for (30) Gladioli nanus mix, (1) Crinum Powellii White, (3) Hymenocallis Sulphur Queen, (1) Sauromatum guttatum, (60) Tigridia pavonia mix, (60) Allium moly, (20) Sparaxis tricolor mix, (1) Crinum Powellii Pink, (20) Ranunculus asiaticus Mix, and (30) Gladiolus Rose Laguna. All of the bulbs received were as advertised (yes, smaller than what many walk-in nurseries offer but the sizes are clearly stated and the bulbs priced accordingly) and within the time frame given (2 weeks). When I received the shipping notice, I saw that the Sauromatum guttatum was on back-order. I emailed the company for a tentative ship date and received a response in less than 5 minutes. Happily to say, the bulb has already been sent - also within the time frame given. Although I was a bit nervous ordering out of country, I am very pleased with the order (and you can't beat the free shipping). Items are as advertised, reasonably priced, healthy, firm, and shipped/received rapidly. Their customer service is fantastic and I would order again in the future.
On March 12th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received the Sauromatum guttatum today as promised. It came well packed and is a nice, healthy bulb. I will definitely order from Bulbsdirect.com again.
On June 1st, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed another order - this time for a couple of Amaryllis, 20 Freesia, various Callas, and 3 additional Sulfur Queens (the ones I ordered before are stunning - extremely healthy and full of blooms). Nicola sent me an email (she is very polite and quite professional) notifying me that the Sulfur Queens were sold out and that she would refund my paypal account. I checked paypal and, sure enough, she had already refunded my account. I received my package today and everything looks good. I will definitely order again from BulbsDirect - a really nice company with healthy, viable bulbs coupled with great customer service.
Positive lcoc
Westport, CT
May 7, 2012
Very happy with them. Got a fast email confirmation with shipping info for 7 business days. The bulbs arrived sooner than promised and in fine conditions. No complains and would use them again.
Negative topper25
Lansing, MI
April 28, 2012
Four years ago I ordered the English Cottage Inn irises, 2 of them and I got one free. All white. They bloomed this year. One is brown, one is yellow and one is dutch iris blue. I planted them among black Irises I already had, looking for a color scheme.It took them a while to get big enough and it sucks not one is white. They evidently just mailed me whatever color and type they had laying around. Very disappointed and I nor my family and friends will ever order from there. Sorry, but it's the truth.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2012:
On May 7, 2012 7:43 AM, Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com) responded with:

First of all we can imagine the disappointment after waiting for a number of years (besides the color, they should have flowered earlier anyway).

But we do not just grab what is laying around, this must have been a human mistake. Somebody must have grabbed the wrong bag by accident (we also sell collections of different Irises). We do thousands of orders and are (fortunately) human beings, sometimes mistakes are made.

We regret this error and are willing to send a refund to this customer. We would also like to resend some new English Cottage Inn Irises to make up for the inconvenience.

Contact us thru CustomerService@Bulbsdirect.com referring to this rebuttal so we can arrange this.

Our guarantee always stands.

BulbsDirect.com

Negative janiceRs
Dalzell, SC
April 10, 2012
I ordered the cana panache they arrived well packaged but what I receivied in the package was very disapointing. 3 bulbs that was very, very tiny so small that I could hardly tell the bulbs from the durt. The price I paid was not cheap. I sent an email about this to customer service justt like the other customer stated in their review. Customer service never responed to my email. I will not order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2012:
On May 7, 2012 7:22 AM, Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com) responded with:

We did have one batch of cannas that were smaller then usual.

The plants are okay, but if Janice contacts us (customerservice@bulbsdirect.com) we are happy to refund her and/or send her new bigger cannas.

Our guarantee always stands.

BulbsDirect.com

Negative HappyGardnerNYC
New York, NY
March 27, 2012
I am writing this review after having tried to resolve my situation with BulbsDirect.com's "Customer Service" department, which apparently consists of an untrained, young adult without the slightest clue of what customer service means.

Immediately after receiving my order, I emailed a question to the "Customer Service" provided on their website. This is the only way to contact them since they are located overseas, without incurring international telephone charges.

I NEVER RECEIVED A RESPONSE.
I repeat, I NEVER RECEIVED A RESPONSE.

Several months later, I tried again to contact BulbsDirect.com via the same "Customer Service" email provided on their website.

This time I received a reply, but it was too late. The plants I had ordered were most certainly dead, which I stated numerous times in emails to their "Customer Service" I was completely responsible for.

However, my point and reason for contacting BulbsDirect.com was to:

A) inform them that I never received a reply to my original email, which would have saved my plants from dying, not to mention the time and money spent.

B) inform them that BulbsDirect.com had inconsistent planting instructions on their website versus the printed packaging that accompanied my order, which caused me to spend needless time searching for a resolution to the situation.

I was replied with such rude and uncaring remarks, not to mention a total lack of responsibility for not returning my first email.

BulbsDirect.com does not care to hear about any problems a customer might have with their products or services. Period. Ever.

My response from BulbsDirect.com was such that I felt compelled to warn others of my experience.

I do not usually go to such lengths to express a company's complete lack of professional courtesy to a first-time customer such as myself, but hopefully I can save others from the AWFUL experience I had with BulbsDirect.com.

Company representative comment on March 28, 2012:
On Mar 28, 2012 5:35 AM, Bulbs Direct (bulbsdirect.com) responded with:

We try hard to do everything right, but yes, sometimes, we fail.

In this case the person emailed us, but we never received it, that's why there was no initial response. Emails are answered daily.

He tried agan several months later, now we replied but apparently it was too late...

For urgent problems we always have out TOLL FREE phone number direct to Holland as mentioned on our contact page, we can deal with any problem straight away.

This person was taken care of by Nicola who has been working with us for many years, and is not inexperienced.

I have no problem with people not being happy with our service, I do have a problem with people directly attacking one of our employees (see username created).

We are a family owned company and I would hate to see that we have to use nicknames for our employees in the future because of responses like this.

This person will get a full refund anyway.

M. Jansen
Managing Director

Positive diPomi
VALLEY VILLAGE, CA
March 23, 2012
I recently placed my first order with this company, for c. 200 bulbs and 20 bareroot plants and planted it right away. All the plants are growing, and maybe a fourth of the bulbs have come up in the last week. The bulbs looked to be of average size but generally quite healthy. Out of the entire order, only one 'Erlicheer' daffodil bulb was mushy and had to be tossed rather than planted - I didn't register any complaint with them, but suspect they'd replace it if only I'd ask. I wonder if the begonia tubers will yet sprout - the only thing in my order that I'd question so far.
Positive jthuck
Bremerton, WA
March 15, 2012
Excellent customer service! I had a few questions about my order status and got a reply within two hours.
I have not received my bulbs yet, but they are due to arrive in 7-9 days. I will update as soon as they arrive!

I ordered:
Calochortus Venustus (Mariposa Lily)x10
Positive Fracture
Auburn, GA (Zone 7b)
October 9, 2011
This was my first time ordering plants by mail in about 4 years. But anyway I placed a small order with this company: 6 tiger lilies and 6 stargazer lilies. I probably would have ordered elsewhere, but BulbsDirect was one of the cheapest sites that I came across, so that was ultimately my deciding factor. 12 specialty lilies for under $20 is hard to beat.

The bulbs are fair sized for the price, about 2 inches in diameter. I even received an extra free small bulb piece as occasionally happens, so that was nice. All of the the bulbs show good signs of life (purple) and I have no doubt about them coming up fine next year. I will certainly consider ordering from this company in the future.

My order arrived about 2 1/2 weeks after it was placed. I never had any correspondence from them via e-mail. (My only order confirmation was that my credit card was billed.) And lastly, there was no planting information for the tiger lilies, neither on their website or on the packaging. But I suppose lilies are pretty much lilies and they just assume you'll know what to do with them!
Neutral idanou
Provincetown, MA (Zone 7a)
May 17, 2011
Posted on October 27, 2010, updated May 18, 2011
The pro-s: low prices, free shipping (even on a $6 order I added later to my order total). The con-s: you get what you pay for- even though everything was healthy looking, the bulbs are SMALL. I also ended up getting some ranunculus which after additional research I found probably won't last the winter here, which is a mistake on my behalf, but I do think it would've been considerate to mention on the website that in zone 7 you plant them in the spring, not fall. I'll have to see how the rest performs but frankly I'm not holding my breath- I only did a small order with BulbsDirect, the majority of my fall order was with another company (Van Engelen) with which I'm extremely pleased.
On May 17th, 2011, idanou added the following:

An update. The ranunculus didn't make it as expected, and also the delphinium. I was sent replacements immediately which arrived faster than some US companies I've dealt with. The delphinium hasn't shown any sign of life yet but the ranunculus has sprouted just fine. Also the Banja Luka tulips I got from these guys performed superbly. They were huge and healthy (but then again with the massive amount of soil amendments and organic fertilizer I use, anything that survives the winter grows incredibly well). This said, I ordered again from Bulbs Direct this year (got some 'Sulphur Queen' Ismene) and the bulbs were really large and have already sprouted in their pot and look very healthy.

I am keeping my feedback as neutral for now. These guys are great to deal with but the product is so so. Some things are great, some not so much. They do list the sizes which I give them credit for so check those carefully and do your homework/comparison shopping.
Negative yarn56401
Pierz, MN
May 9, 2011
I ordered 20 tuberous begonias and only 7 came up.They are getting soft and rotting.They won't answer me when I email.The begonias from Jungs and Michigan bulb are doing fine.
Positive Petulia
Flushing, NY
April 28, 2011
I ordered a large quantity of daffodils and tulips and was very pleased with how many of bloomed this spring and with the quality. I was skeptical because the prices were low, and the shipping, free, however, so far I am very happy with this company. I've ordered from a few of the top rated Dave's Garden companies, but I believe this is by far the best purchase I've made on line so far. When I ordered bulbs from other companies noted on Dave's Garden, such as Bluestone Perenials, the results were not as good. I've just planted a variety of summer blooming bulbs, so we will see whether I have as good luck as with the others. The bulbs are flown directly from Holland to your home, which is a fact I also liked.
Positive pchyeung
Anaheim, CA
March 25, 2011
I placed two orders within days of each other and they were shipped on the same day but the first order, the larger of the two, came several days later than the other one. I suspect that US Custom might have been an issue. I found green mold growing on the oriental lilies bulbs and the astrantia roots. I contacted bulbsdirect and Gerard Hoek sent out replacement even though apparently, the mold is ok. I'm very happy with my purchase. Some of my liatris are already sprouting!
Positive amf94597
Walnut Creek, CA
February 28, 2011
So far, have had a thoroughly positive experience with Bulbsdirect.com. I placed two orders for immediate delivery and both arrived in an extremely timely fashion (I had asked that they ship immediately, rather than waiting two weeks for their mid-February 2011 start-of-shipping, and that is indeed what they did). Customer service responds within 24 hours via email to questions. Items ordered were bulbs and bare root-- most of the bareroot is now potted up and sending up shoots. Prices are very low, shipping is free (perfect for ordering "just one more thing") and the bareroot was a decent size. I had two minor issues with one order-- they accidentally sent the wrong kind of Rudbeckia and one Echinacea was short. Customer service immediately fixed the issue (the replacements shipped three days later) and the "wrong" Rudbeckia was offered to me as a gift. I'm looking forward to seeing how these bulbs grow-- Bulbsdirect has some fun pre-planned bulb gardens that I'd like to try. Overall, I would strongly recommend for inexpensive bulbs and bareroot.
Positive themikeman
Concord, NC (Zone 7a)
November 15, 2010
This is my first time ordering from this company and i am quite pleased..I found them when searching for Crocus bulbs which i had never ordered before, and found their website had the largest selection of crocus varieties, highest quality selections and cheapest prices and free shipping to the States!!! I was kind of nervous ordering from overseas but they accepted paypal so i didnt have to worry about them having my credit card#. i began to get nervous because i got a confirmation number immediately but no shipping date, but then 2 days later received a letter from Mr. Gerahard Hoek the warehouse manager that my crocus bulbs were pulled and shipped that morning..it only took me 4 days to recieve my bulbs from Amsterdamn, Holland to here in NC!! all healthy looking with shoots sticking out of the tops of the bulbs..only 16 dollars and 0 dollars shipping for 80 healthy rare 'firefly' crocus bulbs.Highly recommended!!!!!A++++++++++++
Positive Katie7b
Washington, DC
October 18, 2010
I recently ordered some viridiflora tulips from bulbsdirect.com that I had been unable to find anywhere else. I was hesitant to try a company that I had never used before, but the lure of those Formosa tulips was too strong. Not only did I receive my bulbs promptly — within 7 days of ordering — but the bulbs themselves were excellent, plump and firm, without a blemish, and were packed very nicely as well.

I'm very pleased with my ordering experience from bulbsdirect.com and will certainly buy from them in the future.
Positive quixotic_in_AK
Eagle River, AK
October 1, 2010
I honestly can't say enough good about this company. I've ordered from them multiple times, and despite severe abuse on my part, the bulbs flowered profusely. All the bulbs I received were large, plump and very clean. The shipping really is free and fast, even to Alaska. The customer service is very helpful and friendly. I plan on placing yet another order with them in the near future as the bulbs I can buy locally pale in comparison.
Positive bobbi_s
Richland, WA (Zone 7a)
May 29, 2010
Posted on May 4, 2008, updated May 28, 2010
I have placed two orders with Bulbs Direct, and the shipping was very fast. I ordered some eremurus, hostas, alstroemeria, calachortus, crocosmia, and some dutch iris. I will be shopping again in the future due to price, and the speed of their delivery. The bulbs are clean, nice looking, and are fresh. Their website has a god assortment of bulbs and perennials for sale, and some good bargains also.
On May 29th, 2010, bobbi_s added the following:

I ordered some more spring bulbs which included more crocosmia, some japanese iris, and much more. I am extremally pleased in my orders, and they ship for free.
Positive el_jardin
Orlando, FM (Zone 9b)
February 23, 2010
My first visit to bulbsdirect.com is what led me to the Garden Watchdog website. Despite some negative reviews from consumers I did find it honorable for them to post the Garden Watchdog link on their website.

They offer a good selection of bulb collections, the prices are reasonable and the free shipping is a bonus. I received my order on time and everything was neatly packaged. The bulbs were clean and a sensible size but most importantly everything I purchased has sprouted. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive musaboru
Ontario, CA
December 3, 2009
I recently ordered some Hippeastrums (amaryllis) and Narcisssus bulbs and another Hippeastrum bulb sometime later. Both orders arrived within two weeks, which I think is awesome.

The quality of the bulbs, I would say is about average. The bulbs usually aren't the biggest, or the greatest, but you aren't exactly paying premium prices either. To be honest, I don't think the Hippeastrums bulbs I received from them will likely bloom after being planted this fall, because only the leaves are sprouting and no signs of flower buds after more than two weeks (I will give an update later). Hippeastrums bulbs usually will show signs of flower buds soon after planting.

The packaging is not so great. They are just in brown paper bags inside a box. I feel they could at least use some wadded up newspaper to prevent such heavy bulbs like Hippeastrums from receiving damage when rolling around inside a box. Luckily, none of the bulbs I received were damaged in transit.

I will definitely order from them again since they provide such cheap bulbs, but just remember to order a particular variety when it is fresh (there is an availability date on each item's page). Beware if you expect top of the line bulbs.
Negative akrychl
Alachua, FL
October 17, 2009
I ordered some freesias, agapanthus and dahlias in April '09.
The order came as promised within 14 days and everything was planted right away. Only about half of the freesias sprouted, only 3 out of 9 dahlias and the agapanthus struggled the whole growing season to survive. I contacted the company and they quickly send me a replacement for the freesias and dahlias.
As of November none of the freesias have bloomed and all their bulbs have died. Of the dahlias not a single one has been what I had ordered. I got some nice blooms and some not so nice ones. I was very surprised how I did not get even one match out of 9 ordered dahlias. Needless to say I will not order from them again, what is the use of good prices when you don't get what you paid for.
Negative color_queen
Lake Village, IN (Zone 5a)
October 15, 2009
In April I ordered a set of (6) Alstromeria Princess Lily. They arrived quickly but the tubers were tiny, about the thickness of a pencil and quite shrivelled looking. I planted them a couple to a pot but had no sign of life all summer. I contacted the company to ask for a replacement per their guarantee and they graciously replied that they would be sending replacements, I assumed at proper planting time. Then I was notified that my order had been shipped! To northwest IN where our winters get to -20 F. !! I contacted customer service to ask if the order could not be delayed till Spring and received a reply that the order was on its way and that these are hardy and can be shipped Spring or Fall. The package arrived today with a label "protect from frost" and instructions inside to lift tubers before freezing weather...... Obviously I am not very optimistic about the chances these new tubers have of surviving being stored all winter now until next Spring!
Positive chubbi
San Mateo, CA
October 6, 2009
I've had such pleasant experience with bulbsdirect.com that I would buy every year from them. I had bought some begonia tubers and some butterfly gladioli from them, both did really well. In fact, I told them that some of my begonia tubers were rot so they sent me another set of tubers, all of them did amazingly well. The customer service is kind and they actually listen and care for what we want. I would definitely give 5 stars to this company.
Positive missaniss
Candler, NC
September 3, 2009
This was my first order with this company and so far I am very pleased. Bulbs Direct offers low prices and free shipping which is an excellent value. The bulbs look very healthy and I will definately shop with them again.
Positive KTINYSMOM
Jamestown, NC
July 21, 2009
I ORDERED HOSTAS BULBS. THEY CAME QUICKLY, GREAT PRICE, NO SHIPPING OR HANDLING FEE AND ARE GROWING GREAT. WILL DEFINITELY ORDER FROM AGAIN.
Positive ajmcatee
Gresham, OR
May 18, 2009
I just received my first order from them a 50 bulb garden collection. It came on time with NO SHIPPING FEE and all the bulbs look great! Unfortunately it was the wrong bulb collection - I ordered the White Moolight garden but received the Heavens Garden collection. I e-mailed them about the problem and they got back to me in ONE DAY! Plus I get to keep the Heavens Garden bulbs & will get my original order within the week. 100 bulbs for $7.99 and no shipping - a great deal. But what really makes me happy is their customer service - easy and efficient!
Negative E36yellowM3
Raleigh, NC
April 10, 2009
I ordered 6 Hippeastrum bulbs (2 each of 3 kinds) back in January. Of the 6, one was just complete mush with nothing left, and one was pretty badly gone. Of course they were two different types so I no longer had the bulb pairs that I wanted. The company did refund my money, but was unable to resend the bulbs I had waited for since they were no longer in stock. I've since planted the remaining good ones and they're just not performing as well as others I've purchased from other places. True, the cost was cheaper here, but I definitely got what I paid for. I think I'd rather pay more for better quality in the future.