The scoop on 'Netherland Bulb Company'

Netherland Bulb Company

13 McFadden Road
Easton, Pennsylvania 18045-7819 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-788-8547
Fax: 1-888-508-3762

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Positive vorlonken
Andover, CT
June 24, 2014
I've been ordering from Netherland Bulb for a couple of years now. In one order I received Allium bulgaricum (Nectaroscordum) where nearly every retail package had rotted bulbs and most had more than one. I called and they replaced them immediately.

This spring I ordered a Eucomis retail package with 3 species in each bag. The bulbs were a good size and healthy.

My only problem is that I'm a procrastinator and by the time I place my orders they're usually sold out of most of what I want. This year I placed my fall order right away and had no disappointments.
Positive wnyGardner
ALFRED STATION, NY
November 21, 2013
I have ordered total of 4 times from Netherland Bulb Company, all within the last 12 months. All of the orders have been received within one or two days. Packaging was always neat. Prices and the shipping charges were good-reasonable. I only had a bit of minor disapointment with the size of tulip bulbs ordered in late fall last year.

Having ordered from two other companies, overall I prefer Netherland Bulb Company to all other. I would (will) order from them again and I certainly recommend them.

For me this has been the true "no gimmick" bulb company.
Negative buggycrazy
Lebanon, OR (Zone 7b)
July 10, 2013
Posted on March 5, 2009, updated July 10, 2013
Having ordered many plants and bulbs from them in the past I have found them to be the best wholesaler to buy from. Yes there have been problems, that is expected when buying from importers, they do not grow the stuff, they import and resell it. They have always made good on the few items that were a problem and customer service has been excellent. Given a choice of ordering form them or doing without like I had to do this fall when they were out of what I wanted, I went without rather than order from VanBourgondien, who had a ridiculous shipping charge for a 1 lb package that probably would have been the wrong species or died from freezing in transit.
On July 10th, 2013, buggycrazy changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

put in an orfer for 2 items, since I am NOT allowed to order from their main catalog anymore since i have lost my nursery business I can only order form the clearance items. I asked to be sure that the items were still both available. I was assured they were. I was assured a confirmation email would be sent.
Wrong on both accounts and I paid way too much in S&H for the ONE item I got, which will have to be stored until next spring anyway. That is typical for that particular bulb since it requires different storage conditions than they use and 80% of the orders I got in the past would not sprout until the following year.
However in the future if they are going to short me I will be having my entire order canceled, I must keep costs down and prefer to order where I am not treated like a lower class citizen.
Positive ashleykle
Newton, KS
January 6, 2013
Fall 2012 is my first experience with Netherland Bulb Co.

My 7/19/12 order included:
100 Delft Blue Muscari Mix
100 Large Flowering Crocus Mix
100 Snow Crocus Mix

I didn't have to deal with customer service on the phone, so I can't speak to that.
They arrived in a timely manner for my zone and appeared healthy and of reasonable size. The muscari had lots of off-shoot babies.

I'll update on how they're doing if I remember. If I don't remember, it's because they're doing great. ;)
Positive Andysmom
Colorado Springs, CO
April 23, 2012
Last fall I ordered over 750 bulbs which arrived in good condition and the correct time for fall planting in our area. This spring the bulbs have put on a spectacular display. People have stopped and taken pictures. A least half of the bulbs are lilies which are now up and will start blooming in June through August. If they are as wonderful as the spring bulbs (no tulips because of deer) I can't wait for the show. Next year they should even be better. The daffodil and lily bulbs were as large or larger than what I could get at the local garden stores. I did not have any that needed to be thrown away. The paper bags were well marked with name, planting instructions and what type of light needed. The bulbs I bought were mostly deer resistant. Very pleased.
Company representative comment on April 24, 2012:
On Apr 24, 2012 7:31 AM, Netherland Bulb Company responded with:

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it and hope you enjoy your garden for years to come.

Positive stanlesmith
Plover, WI
April 18, 2012
I ordered over 3000 bulbs from this company, when they arrived last Fall, I may have found 6 that were un-plantable.
This Spring I have a lovely display! The daffodils are varied in color and size, the hyacinths have vibrant color, the wild tulips that the squirrels did not eat (grrr...) look great and I'm pretty sure the crocus would have been nice too, if the squirrels hadn't dug them up. The only problem I have is that I didn't order enough, hope they send another catalog :)
Company representative comment on April 19, 2012:
On Apr 19, 2012 8:25 AM, Netherland Bulb Company responded with:

Thank you for your feedback we appreciate it. Our catalog will be in the mail shortly. You may also visit us online for a preview of bulbs on sale for Fall 2012 planting.

Positive Cem9165
Duluth, GA (Zone 7b)
June 23, 2011
I've ordered tulips from this company for the past 2 years and I've been very pleased with the quality of bulbs that were sent. They bloomed consistently, and were true to their specified color. In 2010 I also ordered their giant muscari and galanthus, and the bulbs received were also very healthy and bloomed well this past Spring. I will definitely continue to order from them again.
Negative suzie126
Merrill, WI
May 21, 2011
Every year I order a few hundred lily bulbs from Netherland Bulbs. In all yrs past their bulb have always been hughe ,big bulbs. Every year I would order more because they had great quality this year. I received 5 of the Tango lile's , I opened them, I was shocked they are tiny little bulbs, I called to tell them , but she said she would bring it up with them. That's all! Then I also received 30 of Distant Drums and 30 of the Wht Dbl, well after I opened them they were the same way. I guess I don't understand. Maybe I will have to try some one else next year. Did anyone else have this problem this year. Maybe they were in storage a long time?
Positive naturemaiden
Cutchogue, NY
May 17, 2011
I've ordered from Netherland Bulb in the past and was very happy with my purchase. I am preparing a Fall order for this year. Their prices are great!
Positive dolly787
Spartanburg, SC
April 5, 2011
I ordered 300 bulbs last fall and scattered tham all over. You should see my bulb garden. The deft blue muscari are very large and have bloomed for a long time. Highly recommend them.
Positive ganzle
Jackson, NJ
August 9, 2010
I have been purchasing bulbs from them for many many years now. I have never been disappointed. The bulbs are large, healthy and shipped exactly when they should arrive. Their catalogs are as exciting as their blooms. I have yet to see anyone beat their prices for the offerings. I wish I had more places on the property to continue to add flower beds.
Positive RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
June 17, 2010
Posted on May 3, 2010, updated June 18, 2010
Beautiful large, firm lily bulbs arrived when promised. Very pleased!
On June 17th, 2010, RebeccaLynn added the following:

The Lilium Asiatic bulbs that I ordered are now in bloom. They are beautiful red border lilies, and I love them!
Negative VegBurrito
Apex, NC
May 20, 2010
I had dealt with one of their sales reps, and he consistently sent me more bulbs then I ever ordered and refused to take them back or issue a refund when confronted about it. I will NEVER buy bulbs from them again, very shady and dishonest. If you buy from them plan on spending at least 10% more then you initially requested.
Company representative comment on June 17, 2010:
On May 21, 2010 10:23 AM, Netherland Bulb Company responded with:

We strive to have no one feeling like they have been cheated as this is not how we have built a successful business over the last 30 years, experiencing major growth and many, many repeat customers. We take these accusations very seriously and we would like to address the specific salesman with whom you might have dealt. We have salespeople across the country as well many customer who order direct through 1-800-78TULIP. We will also contact you through D-Mail as we would like to examine your account more closely and address the issue with the specific salesman in question.

On Jun 18, 2010 1:46 AM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

Dear VegBurrito, despite our post and personal email through DMail, we still have not heard from you. Please let us know how we can help resolve your ill feelings towards our company perhaps by dealing with us direct and not through a salesperson. That is always an option. Please contact us at your earliest convenience.

Positive JGinTN
Carthage, TN
April 26, 2010
I ordered a mixture of narcissus & hyacinths, as well as some lilies last fall. The bulbs were all in nice shape, large & healthy. The quantity delivered in the "bushel" of narcissus was what was promised. The narcissus & hyacinths have been amazing this spring. Am awaiting the lilies to see how they do. Will definitely order again.
Positive nigelia23
Vancouver, BC (Zone 8b)
April 15, 2010
My experiance with these guys was great. Firm, very large bulbs were offered at competitive prices. These bulbs may cost more than florissa, but THESE are in better shape and larger than the florissa bulbs.
Positive pollyk
Hannibal, NY (Zone 6a)
November 22, 2009
Posted on September 24, 2005, updated November 22, 2009
Just received my wholesale order of crocus, daffs, and alliums. All excellent size. The daffs were huge. I've always had good dealings with this company. Polly @ Perennials Plus
On November 22nd, 2009, pollyk added the following:

I purchased some hyacinths last week. 25 for 15.00. I purchased 50 all together. The bulbs were shipped quickly, and they arrived in excellent condition, plump and large size. I feel this is one of the best places to puirchase wholesale bulbs from.
Thank you for the lovely bulbs!
Polly @ Siberian Iris Gardens

On Aug 16, 2006 5:47 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

Positive yotedog
Raleigh, NC
October 24, 2009
Ordered with reservations, based on feedback, but they had what I wanted with excellent pricing. Also had just seen a pic of someone else's order in the bulb forum, and it looked great. Glad I took the chance, as today I received 100 darwin tulip bulbs, well-packed. After I ordered, I received a confirmation email within two days. I believe that was on/around 10/16 and I received my bulbs10/24. Bulbs are the size promised, with only 2-3, perhaps, slightly undersized, and I do mean slightly. Every bulb appears healthy on initial inspection. One note, the label on the mailed box reads 'New Jersey Bulb Co", FYI. I don't see that name listed in the Watchdog. I'm very sorry others had a bad experience because I feel I got a good deal on some great bulbs. Thanks!
On Oct 26, 2009 8:22 AM, Netherland Bulb Company responded with:

Thank you for your kind words, they are always appreciated. Due to our recent growth we are shipping out of two warehouses, one in Pennsylvania and another warehouse in New Jersey, same company, same customer service, same ownership, same source of bulbs, just a second location.

Negative Victoroia
Boonton, NJ
October 20, 2009
I purchased 2 Red Lion amaryllis from the local
A&P. I have amaryllis each year and plant them
properly.

Where it should sprout, the buds? are dry and shriveled.

Shall I deal with the store or you?

A&P.

On Oct 26, 2009 8:19 AM, Netherland Bulb Company responded with:

We are sorry that you are not completely satisfied with your purchase. Our company policy is to replace any unsatisfactory bulbs regardless of whether you post on this forum or not. Please email us at contactus@netherlandbulb.com with your home address and we will be happy to send you new Amaryllis kits. We look forward to making this right.

Positive luv_daffs
Cherokee Village, AR
May 5, 2009
Great bulbs, beautifull spring garden's, due to the bulbs and the low cost of them. I have ordered two years in a row without complaints.
Negative vivvar
Centralia, WA
November 6, 2008
I ordered and received this fall 100 daffodil bulbs, 50 (2bags of 25) of Fortissimo and 50 (2 bags of 25)of Las Vegas.
Unfortunately, when received, 20 total of the Las Vegas had rotted and 3 of the Fortissimo.
I called and complained about the condition of the bulbs and the service person said she would send another bag of 25 of Las Vegas, but she would not send 3 additional of the Fortissimo..She said I would be getting 5 extras Las Vegas!
I told her to be sure that the 25 replacement Las Vegas were checked for rotting-quality control.
When I received the 25 replacement Las Vegas, 11 were soft (rotted). Obviously they were not checked for quality before being sent. The order form I received with these bulbs did state "must inspect for quality-received mushy bulbs on previous order". Obviously the packers did not check for quality. I cannot recommend this company.

On Oct 26, 2009 8:15 AM, Netherland Bulb Company responded with:

We are sorry you were not satisfied with your first experience with us. We hope that you received our 50 replacement bulbs in good condition.

Positive blumenkinder
North Judson, IN
December 31, 2007
This is my first review. I felt I needed to tell of my experience with Netherland Bulb, because it was, for me, extraordinary. In my first year of operating a nursery, I had purchased many daylilies from Netherland. When bloom time came around, I noticed that alot of them weren't what they were labeled as. I called the company, and was so pleasantly surprised on many levels. The lady who I spoke with was the sweetest person you can imagine. She listened, didn't make me feel like I was lying, and asked if I could email some pictures of the plants. I took pictures as they came into bloom. Then I received an email from them saying I didn't need to send any more pictures, and they gave me a very generous credit. I am very happy with all aspects of this company! And, by the way, it wasn't even their fault that the plants were mislabled, it was the grower's mistake.
Positive mrmartin
Cedar Rapids, IA
November 19, 2007
As the Grounds Supervisor for a large College Campus here in Iowa, I have nothing but "Positive Comments" to extend about the staff, products and services rendered by this organization. Over the past 10 years, I've had only one concern with the product I received. I made one phone call to Customer Service, then received replacements for the items in question. In addition, I've had opportunities to compare their products with others in the business and have found Netherland Bulb Company to stand out above the rest. They will continue to be my first choice throughout the growing seasons. . .MRM
Positive 1Rose
Chesapeake Beach, MD
October 16, 2007
I have ordered from Netherland Bulbs for the last three years and have been nothing but pleased with every order. Don't be fooled by the discount prices--the bulbs are every bit as good as the "full price" bulbs I've ordered over the years.

I am on my way to placing this year's order.
Positive atcps
WOODLAWN, TN
February 7, 2007
I have ordered from this company two years in a row and have been extremely pleased with service and product. I will continue to order from this company. All bulbs were as promised, packed well, and in excellent shape. They have performed as promised.
Negative badweed
Sheldon, MO
July 4, 2006
Netherland Bulb Company are a nest of thieves. Last spring I received a shipment of nearly $2,000 worth of plants in very bad shape. Lots of them were entirely rotten. I called the company and let them convince me to keep them all and see how many I could salvage. You guessed it! 3 weeks later I had no recourse and no help from them! What a rip-off.

On Aug 16, 2006 5:56 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

We are in contacting with this customer regarding the refund that was charged back to her credit card on August 8, 2005, so I think it is far to say that the statements made by badweed are not entirely true.

Negative djballington
Reidsville, NC
July 15, 2005
I purchased a Blue Bell dahlia from the Netherland Bulb Company because of the lovely color illustrated. While the dahlia is healthy, the color isn't even close. I wrote them over three weeks ago and included a photograph of the actual dahlia comparing it with the color advertised and have yet to hear from them.

On Aug 16, 2006 5:43 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

We have sent djballington a new package of bulbs and the bulbs are doing well. The customer was pleased with the package and the progress of the flowers to date.

Positive patwood
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
May 20, 2005
Ordered 32 ferns from them at 35% off -- $1.46 per plant. Including shipping and tax (they have a NJ presence, bummer), it came to about 1.85 each. They arrived the next day! Packing left a little to be desired -- the pots came out of the flats and bounced around a bit; I'm sure FedEx wasn't any help, either. Plants were well rooted in deep 2x2 pots. Some had larger leaves than others (some were just starting to send up fiddleheads), and some got mangled in the box, but with luck, all will survive due to healthy root systems. All in all, very good value for the price.
On September 3rd, 2005, patwood added the following:

Ordered about 500 bulbs this fall. All arrived except for the fall blooming crocus, which were sold out. Bulbs are large, firm, and healthy looking. Hope to have a nice showing of forced bulbs this winter.
On September 3rd, 2006, patwood added the following:

Ordered more bulbs and plants during their spring clearance. Ordered 10 Amaryllis, they sent 15 nice-sized bulbs, most with buds. (A few buds broke off during shipping -- they still need some work in this department, but, well, they sent me a bunch more than I ordered, so I can't really complain!)

On Aug 16, 2006 5:48 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

Negative indigowells2
Carbondale, IL
May 18, 2005
Just received over 300 bareroot plants that were on sale through their website for 30% off their original price. All plants were in good condition, though the potted meadow rue is a tiny little plant.

I was charged the normal 12.5% shipping of purchase price for an order over $250. What wasn't mentioned on their website is that the shipping charge is done on the ORIGINAL price of the plant regardless of what your discount price might total. So be aware that when you order $300 worth of plants your shipping won't be $37.50, it will actually be $48.75. Illegal...probably not. Good business practice....sure isn't!!!

On Aug 16, 2006 5:47 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

As a result of this posting we have changed our policy on shipping charges for web specials. We have clearly explained how shipping is charged and capped the shipping charged at 9.5% on the pre-discounted subtotal. Unfortunately, the bulbs and perennials still weigh the same discounted or not. We have not raised our shipping rates in many years despite the mounting fuel charges assessed by every trucking and parcel delivery company. We try to be as fair as possible and we appreciate the honest posting and hope that you better understand our position.

Positive CindyALMG
Florence, AL
May 13, 2005
Just received my 1st order. I am totally impressed! All very nice bulbs!
Company had quick delivery. Product was packaged well. Order department person was polite and professional. This vendor shall continue to have my business.
Cindy- Paws n' Plants

On Aug 16, 2006 5:48 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

Positive hbbrandon
Clarksdale, MS
September 25, 2003
Over the past several years, I have ordered many hundreds of bulbs from this company, mostly daffodils and other spring bulbs, and some perennials. The orders were filled correctly, shipped at the requested time for planting in my area, and the bulbs were of consistently top quality (at what I felt a very good price). One year, a shipment of a couple hundred daffodils contained two dozen or so that were shriveled "blanks." I reported this and they very promptly sent a larger number of replacement bulbs, and their customer service department telephoned to apologize and be sure I was happy. For the 2002 fall planting season, my order included 250 mixed daffodils. The shipment arrived, labeled as mixed daffodils. When they bloomed in spring 2003, all were the same variety. All were lovely, but they weren't what I ordered. I reported this and sent along photos of the blooms that had resulted. A couple of days ago, out of the blue, a box appeared at my door containing 250 replacement daffodils. I hadn't asked for a replacement, wasn't expecting it -- a great gesture on their part. Given the unpleasant experiences I've had with many mail order plant/bulb companies, it is nice to encounter a company that gives more than lip service to customer satisfaction. All my dealings with Netherland Bulb Company have been positive, the bulbs have been top quality, and when they made an error they corrected it with no evasiveness or runaround.

On Aug 16, 2006 5:49 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

Thanks for your kind words, we appreciate your business. We try to do our best and resolve issues when they do arise.

Neutral Terrymac
April 24, 2003
Ordered Apricot Beauty and planned on receiving 50 peach/apricot single tulips bulbs,instead received, in one bag, bulbs for a large, beautiful frilled purple/lavendar double tulip + a smaller pink and white combo. While the color looks sensational with my Williamsburg blue house it isn't going to work for the interior which is blue and peach. Oh well, variety is the spice of life.
Neutral indigowells
April 1, 2002
I have been ordering wholesale from Netherlands Bulb for a number of years. To date I have felt their material was "adequate" for the price, with an occasional "very good". The same was true for my bulb and perennial order this year, but for the first time I also included marginal water plants in my order. I was VERY disappointed with the size and quality of these plants. I called to complain and was told the person who handles complaints was out. So they took my name and order number so she could call me back later. That was over three weeks ago and I've yet to hear from them.
Neutral Kwmsf
Clifford, MI (Zone 5a)
March 4, 2002
I used this company for a fundraiser. Their wholesale prices on bareroot perennials are very good, and the plants are of excellent size and quality in general. However they did make some substitutions of varieties with out notifying us and one group of clematis arrived in poor shape. They did give us a credit on that. Stick to dormant, bareroot plants and bulbs if ordering, skip the small potted stuff.

On Aug 16, 2006 5:50 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

We have greatly improved our line of small potted plants. We take all comments posted to this website to heart and would appreciate another try.

Positive Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)
January 8, 2002
Excellent bulbs and perennials. I have always had good service from this company. Never had a bit of trouble with the plants. They keep track of your order and know exactly when it will arrive from Holland.

On Aug 16, 2006 5:50 PM, Netherland Bulb Company added:

Positive DawnSutherland
April 1, 1999
Last year I ordered 150 Red Emperor bulbs from this company. When they emerged this spring, they were white, orange and yellow and all of varied sizes. I planted them in a display area, amid large brambly roses at great personal risk only to find I planted colors I would never have chosen! I called the company and asked for either a refund or replacement bulbs. They explained that Red Emperor could entail many different colors. I was obviously talking with someone who didn't know tulips. They refused to refund my money or send me replacements. I can only hope the squirrels dined on the bulbs and they will just be GONE by next spring. Big yellow CAUTION sign for this company. [update 4/1999] I previously registered a complaint regarding this company. In all fairness, I need to register a compliment. I had received the wrong colored tulips two years ago. I complained to the company and was told they had issued a caveat regarding a shortage of red emperor tulips. I had no recall of such a warning and grumbled about the wrong color all summer long. Much to my surprise in Sept. of 1998, I found an unsolicited shipment of replacement bulbs on my front porch from Netherland Bulb Company. I planted them last fall and was treated to a wonderful display of gorgeous red emperor tulips this spring. Thanks, Netherland Bulb Company!
Positive my
September 1, 1996
I like this company a lot mainly because of their good service. Although I received the wrong colored daffodils, they sent me friendly acknowlegement to my request for a replacement the next fall. They replaced my 25 tulips when I asked them why they did not bloom. (They suggested that I did not refrigerate them, which I didn't) The freesias, crocuses, tulips, and daffodils they sent me were all very healthy and a good size.
Negative russellmarsella
April 1, 1996
I ordered two varieties from them last fall, and they either shipped the wrong bulbs, or they don't look the LEAST bit like their photos or descriptions. I am very disappointed.
Neutral jvanden924
February 1, 1996
I don't like the mediocre quality of bulbs I received from this mediocre company.
Negative catewilliams
August 1, 1995
Netherlands Bulbs is HORRIBLE! I got suckered by the prices, and ended up with a bunch of seriously diseased tulips - so sick that I can't plant any more in that bed for two years.
Positive lynnsdahleen
August 1, 1995
Last year, I ordered tulips, daffodils, and crocus from Netherlands Bulb Co. The bulbs came well before the ground froze (very important here in North Dakota) and all the bulbs were large and disease free. After a rather cold winter, although with major snow cover, all the bulbs survived and grew nicely. They even survived a late frost. All the bulbs bloomed well and died back at the normal time for here. Because they did so well this year, I'm assuming they will be back next spring. I plan on ordering more from this company this year because of how happy I was with the quality and prices last year.