The scoop on 'Dutchmill Herbfarm (Barb's Dutchmill Lavender)'

Dutchmill Herbfarm (Barb's Dutchmill Lavender)

6640 NW Marsh Rd
Forest Grove, Oregon 97116-8023 (United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Comments:

Positive soldiersong
North Plains, OR (Zone 8a)
April 22, 2006
I visited Barb and her herb farm this morning. It is a one woman operation and clearly conducted with love.

The selection is incredible, prices extremely reasonable and help from Barb is friendly and thorough.

She grows everything outdoors and organically. Some things, since it is so early in the season were, as she put it "grumpy", and she would not sell the grumpy ones until their moods improved.

I bought two lavenders ('Violet Intrigue' and 'Nana Alba'), a Rosemary 'Tuscan Blue' (which is already 2' tall!), narrow leaf chives, Chocolate Mint and Horseradish. She gave me quite a large Lovage because she wanted me to try it. The entire bill for quite large plants was around $20.00.

Her business is located behind the family home and there are no signs, so if you visit go armed with the address. She answers her phone if you need directions.

This is quite near the other wonderful local place about which I recently posted, Recycled Gardens. So, if you are near or plan a trip to Portland, Oregon, make this one of your stops. It is worth the visit. Barb will even show you her various varieties of much pampered chickens!

I planted everything this evening, following her instructions to soak them in water for a couple of hours before planting and to scape or separate the root systems, as most of them are a bit root bound after the winter. Everything looks great. Healthy and upright and ready to grow in my new garden. I suspect they will all thrive.