The scoop on 'George's Plant Farm'

George's Plant Farm

1410 Public Well Road
Martin, Tennessee 38237 (United States)

Comments:

Positive Tim Hawley (Silver L
Gainesville, NY
July 5, 2013
Posted on February 3, 2013, updated July 5, 2013
My experience in 2012 with George's Sweet Potato Farm was excellent.

We ordered 12 Vardeman, 12 Centennial and 12 Carolina Ruby sweet potato slips. We received them exactly when we expected to, around May 15th. When inspecting the order I realized we got about 2 extra slips of each variety, though ultimately around 6 or 7 were too crispy to be revived. I ended up planting 10 of each and giving the extras to my grandfather.

The harvest was excellent considering the drought we had. I work on one of the largest commercial potato farms in western NY so I do not have a lot of time for irrigation of my personal crops. Even without irrigation we managed to get around a bushel out of the ground before the first snow (12 plants were still in the ground).

Though I am only reordering 1 of my 3 varieties this year, Vardeman, I will also be ordering Georgia Jets, both from George's Plant Farm. I am also ordering Beauregard from my potato seed supplier so I will have something to compare to as well.

I would recommend anyone interested in buying sweet potato slips to order from George's Plant Farm.
On July 5th, 2013, Tim Hawley (Silver L added the following:

As always my experience with George's this year was excellent. Ended up ordering 12 Bush Porto Rico, 12 Georgia Jets, & 12 of my fallback variety Vardeman. They came in excellent shape with no losses this year. As always, extra slips were included in each bunch. Got too excited and planted my Bush Porto Rico slips too early and ended up with an extremely late frost which killed 5 of the 13, but had some extra Georgia Jets and vardeman to fill in the gaps. Will definitely continue to order my sweet potato slips from this company!
Positive Lucille44
Alvin, TX
May 2, 2013
Wonderful company. When my order took a little longer than expected, George himself took care of it, sent extras. The plants arrived nice and fresh and leafy and with nice roots, and I just finished planting them.
I had ordered from his company some years ago, before I moved to this house, and I recall that I harvested enough sweet potatoes so that I had to store them in big baskets, which is good because I love them. I'm hoping for the same success this year.
Positive Cindy_GA
Eatonton, GA (Zone 8a)
April 27, 2012
Ordered 12 Porto Rican plants, received 15 in good condition and delivered on time. There were also a batch of bonus Carolina Ruby plants - great. But they were dead. I've put them in water attempting to perk them up, but no luck so far.

Sent email to the company describing the issue and received a reply a few days later saying he was "sorry for the wilted Carolina Rubys. Hope the other plants do well."

An odd response, but the original order was correct.
Positive melody
Benton, KY (Zone 7a)
June 1, 2011
Prompt shipment of carefully packed and healthy plants. Excellent service!
Positive Farmerdill
Augusta, GA (Zone 8a)
April 14, 2011
Very strong plants, generous count, and they arrived on specified shipping date. Could not ask for better service.
Positive 5finadene3
Lock Haven, PA
June 14, 2010
We ordered sweet potato slips from George's this year and it has worked out well so far. The plants were dry upon arrival. It took 5 days to get them from Tennessee to Central PA. I haven't had time to plant them yet, but I put them in water, and they perked up in a day. So far, I'm happy with George's!
Positive purplelady56
Athens, OH
June 21, 2009
I ordered 12 Centennial sweet potato slips and got 15 all were alive and in good shape when I got them in the mail. It is a little unhandy to have to mail in your order but the plants are really worth it. I will get plants there again with no questions. I would recomend to anybody.
Positive gardeningrabbit
Mississippi State, MS
June 20, 2009
Great company. Will definitely order from George again next year. We had a small order, only 25 slips. Received 35. Planted them out that evening. 2 didn't make it. (it was in the upper 90's here when we planted them out, am frankly surprised any of them made it in these temps, it's been unbearable here) Leaving an overpack of 8 slips total that survived. 33% bonus!

Slips were healthy, green and even though it was in the upper 90's here (probably hotter in my mailbox) were very well packed and still damp.

Honest and efficient service plus plus! Can't wait to try some more varieties next year.

Thanks George!
Positive DennInMI
Manistee, MI (Zone 4b)
May 24, 2009
I have ordered sweet potato slips from various companies over the years. I decided to try George's Plant Farm this year after a very bad experience last year with a different company.

Well, George's gets an A + in my book. They accomodated my request for plants of each variety they offer, they shipped exactly when I requested (which can be a problem here in the north, since many sweet potato growers want to ship to us WAY too late, when we really need them earlier in order to get a crop in our short growing season), and the plants arrived in two days via UPS.

Best of all, unlike some past experiences, the plants were neither slimy nor dehydrated, but instead were fresh, green, and very healthy looking. I ordered 500 slips, and, while I didn't go to the bother of counting them all, there appeared to be a significant overpack in each of the bundles.

Very, very pleased with George's, and I will definitely order again from them next year. My only suggestion/request of them would be that they upgrade their website to allow credit card processing, since this is a much more convenient way of ordering than having to print out an order form, write a check, and mail it. But, mail a check I will next year if need be. Thanks for the great service and quality plants.
Positive kitchengarden
Beltsville, MD
May 10, 2009
My order of 125 sweet potato slips arrived this week, which was the week that I wanted. All 125 slips are in great shape and there is nothing slimy in the box. I asked for and received the correct amounts of Beauregard, Bunch Porto Rico, Japanese Red, and Vardaman.

The company's customer service is great. Information is available by telephone as well as the highly informative website -- which features its own TATOR SCHOOL. This is the second year that I have ordered from this company, and I highly recommend it. The prices are very reasonable, and all shipping & handling charges are included in the prices of the sweet potato slips.

You will find a downloadable mail order form on the website. Orders are only processed by mail order, and need to be prepaid with either a check or a money order.