The scoop on 'Great Garden Plants'

Great Garden Plants

Holland, Michigan 49422-1511 (United States)

Phone: 1-877-447-4769

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on February 4, 2008:
At Great Garden Plants you will find the highest quality in New and Best Selling Perennials, Shrubs, Knock Out Roses, Hostas, Daylilies and more! Our perennials are grown in deep, 1- Quart containers and our Shrubs and Knock Out Roses are grown in deep, 2-Quart containers. Top grade, freshly dug daylilies are sent direct from the fields to your door.

Buy in bulk and save up to 50% with our Wholesale Pricing. We back all plants with our Amazing Triple Guarantee!

Great Garden Plants, Inc. sprouted on the scene in the summer of 2006 and is the seed-child of Chris Hansen
and Mary Walters, both of whom are avid gardeners, wholesale/retail nursery professionals and photographers with over 40 years experience between them.

We created this mail order plant website in order to offer: Great Value, Solutions, Pre-Planned Garden Collections, and Garden Designs that truly work. These time-saving Collections are available at special savings off the retail price.

We hope you enjoy shopping our site and welcome your feedback.

Your gardening friends,
Mary and Chris

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral pollyj70
Shelbyville, MI (Zone 5b)
July 23, 2014
I just placed my first order with this company & am very excited with their low prices [i ordered the new blushing knockouts] so waiting expectantly till this fall to see what i will receive :) My other choice would have been white flower farm. While a very reliable company, also pricey. Hoping for the best, polly
Negative phkat
Libby, MT (Zone 5b)
July 3, 2014
Posted on June 10, 2014, updated July 3, 2014
On 2-20-14 I placed an order for several different plants to be delivered in mid May. (order #93029 )On May 12 I received an email saying that they were having trouble with one of the type of plants I ordered, so they were substituting a different plant unless they heard from me. The substitute they offered was selling from a lot less than the one that I had ordered. I wrote and said that I didn't want a substitute so they wrote back and said they'd credit my card back instead. Fine. Then they sent me an email saying that they would be shipping my remaining plants in Mid June. A full month later than originally promised. So today, June 10th, they sent me another email saying that the other plants that I ordered aren't meeting their quality control standards so they were cancelling that part of my order. So many months of planning for these specific plants, and I'm getting no plants at all. I'm not happy. To make matters worse, as of today, I have not been credited for ANY of the cancelled plants. My order total was only $75.70 but it was my money and I want it back. I don't think they should bill the card until they can ship the plants. What are they doing, taking all sorts of orders in and using the paid for orders to float the cost of doing business and then cancelling the orders? Needless to say, I'm not going to risk ordering from them again. I plan to contact American Express within the next few days if my entire payment isn't credited by the end of this week.
On July 3rd, 2014, phkat added the following:

On June 9th they refunded me $8.45 for the one echinacea Raspberry Truffle, this was the first plant they told me they didn't have (and wanted to sub for a different one, but I declined the substitute). Today, July 2, I received a check for $35 for the roses that they ended up not being able to send either. I paid $35.90 for them so I'm not sure why they only sent $35. I did end up with the "deal of the day" and one other plant that I ordered, plus a sedum that was a freebie. My main gripe is that I only ordered anything extra at all because I wanted 2 of the Climbing Rose Zephirine Drouhin. So I ended up paying $14.95 for shipping for plants I added to that rose order and lost $5.90 on the roses. I wouldn't have placed an order at all without the roses.
All in all, I do not plan to order anything from this company again. I can't count on them at all. By the time one finds out that you're not getting your plants, they've had your money for 5 months, and its also too late to order the plants elsewhere. Not worth the gamble for me. Your mileage may vary.
Company representative comment on June 12, 2014:
On Jun 12, 2014 4:31 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

I understand that Jen has contacted you and provided an update. Your order is being shipped next week and the credit is being processed. We trust everything has been communicated to you in a satisfactory manner. Please contact us at info@GreatGardenPlants.com or 877-447-4769 if we can provide any additional assistance in this manner. Thank you.

Positive imaginefarm
Perry, GA
June 27, 2014
I ordered 6 perennials. First time I have ever ordered from this company. The packaging was first class. I don't think I have ever ordered perennials with such beautiful packaging. And the plants arrived on time, sent within days of my order. Perfect ordering experience. The prices were excellent and the quality of the plants was extremely high. I WILL definitely be ordering from them again.
Negative Daisy333
Flanders, NY
June 6, 2014
27 out of 30 plants arrived in good shape when my first order arrived, so I ordered again. I ordered two collections which each contained 1 ornamental grass as the focal point and 2 or 3 each of 3 other plant varieties. The ornamental grass was not available, so they sent the rest of the collection without it, indicating it was back-ordered. I called to see when it would arrive, and was told it was not back-ordered as indicated on my shipping statement, but was totally unavailable. They told me I could not return the other items and that I had only two choices - take a refund for only the grass or choose a different grass. This is absolutely unacceptable so I called back and was told the same thing again by a different agent. I chose the collection because it was exactly what I was looking for, and if the whole collection couldn't be shipped, they should not have shipped a portion of it. I sent an email days ago to let them know I would be disputing the charge, there was no reply. I just looked at the website and they are still selling the Heat-Lovers Delight Sun Collection even though they know they know a portion of it is not available. Very bad business practices, I will never shop with them again.
Company representative comment on June 9, 2014:
On Jun 9, 2014 11:19 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Thank you for your comments. I truly regret your recent experience. I have looked into this and we have turned off this collection page. I will be happy to issue you a 100% refund on the entire collection if you contact me directly at mary@GreatGardenPlants.com
Your satisfaction is very important to me and I want to make this right with you.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Neutral GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a)
May 27, 2014
This was my first order with Great Garden plants. While I was pleased with half the order, the other half was not so great.

I ordered 7 Black Eye Susans, 6 yellow knock out roses, and 4 Hydrangea.

The Hydrangea looked great. I had no issues with them.

3 of the Black eyed Susans arrived with crushed leaves. I cut them back, hopefully they will resprout. The other 4 were nice, heavily rooted plants. Not a huge issue, I undertand shipping can be tough on plants.

My biggest complaint is that ALL of the knock out roses had spider mites to a degree, some less, some more, but 3 were completely covered in webs at the bottom and had several dead branches and dead leaves in the webbing. It's hard to understand how this was overlooked. I've cleaned up the roses, but had to make drastic cuts to remove the nasty stuff from these plants. They have not been planted, and I've got them in quarantine until I get the spider mites eradicated.
Company representative comment on June 9, 2014:
On Jun 9, 2014 11:16 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

We truly regret to hear of the issue with the Knock Out and are happy to issue you a 100% refund. Please contact us at info@GreatGardenPlants.com
Thank you.

Positive CosmosandCleome
Bethany, PA
May 16, 2014
I ordered from this company for the first time last fall. My order arrived promptly and expertly packed. The plants were healthy and in great shape, and I planted them all within three days of their arrival. Despite a particularly long, cold winter, most of the plants survived and are now doing well. I am particularly pleased with a Hellebore and a Brunnera Jack Frost. There are a couple plants that have shown no signs of life yet, but I want to give them a little more time before I contact the company.

At the same time I ordered from GGP, I placed an order with another well known company. It was more costly than GGP, and I was not nearly as happy with the packaging or the condition of the plants when they arrived.

I am planning another order from Great Garden Plants this spring.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
May 2, 2014
Posted on August 3, 2011, updated May 2, 2014
I did place a good sized order last spring and received a large box where they had sticks in every plant and a weak rubber-band. All the dirt was out of the pots and everything was everywhere. I emailed the company and explained to them that the 'this end up' label means nothing to ups or fedx. The box had been upside down and dropped several times. I had ordered a Viburnum shrub which never did recover from the box trauma. Just as with a previous order I took a picture of the plant and emailed it to the company and they gave my money back. I was disappointed that the shrub was only 9 inches tall. I have never had a problem getting refunds for dead or damaged plants but I would rather not deal with it.
On May 2nd, 2014, virginiarose changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Wow, this company has made an amazing turn around! Great new packing method, everything is very secure and no dirt missing, plants were mainly dry. Which is good, no root rot. I love my Shasta Daisy's, these are nice plants that are a good size and I love my bonus plant. Secure website, user friendly and they take paypal. I really do think I will be ordering again!
Positive Juvilian
POSEY, CA
April 15, 2014
This was my first order from this company. No problems.... nice size plant packed very well, and arrived in timely matter. Will order from them again.
Negative phoenix1943
Hawk Cove, TX
March 17, 2014
I placed an order, paid for it, but my items remained in the cart.
The charge went through, but I have not been able to get this resolved. I have had no response to numerous e-mails, and have filed a claim to have the charge reversed.
Company representative comment on March 17, 2014:
On Mar 17, 2014 10:13 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

We are happy to assist you with this issue. If you call us Toll Free at 877-447-4769, we can verify your order and send you another copy if need be. If 2 separate carts where started at separate times and one completed, it is very possible that there other is still remains in your cart, thus explaining why you might be receiving emails from us. Anyway, we are here and happy to help you resolve this. Our email address is info@greatgardenplants.com
Thank you. Mary

Posted on July 11, 2013, updated July 29, 2013
Posted on July 8, 2013, updated July 11, 2013
Posted on July 2, 2013, updated July 8, 2013
Posted on May 10, 2013, updated July 2, 2013
My plants arrived the week after I placed my order. They were very well packaged, appeared to have survived shipping in reasonable health (just a tad yellow and droopy, but I'm sure they'll bounce back), and were pleasingly larger than I had expected.
On July 2nd, 2013, bluesox changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Most of the plants I ordered are doing well (one hasn't taken off yet, but I expect it to come once it establishes itself).

The problem is, now that they've started to bloom, some of them don't appear to be what I ordered.

The Coreopsis Cosmic Eye has unicolor, washed out, off-white blossoms rather than "claret-red daisy-like flowers ... tipped in golden sunshine yellow". It's a nice enough plant, but not what I ordered and looks oddly out of place where planted because it doesn't fit the color scheme. (It was supposed to be the keystone in the front of the garden, marking a transition from maroon to yellow.

The Echinacea Julia blossoms are small (1 to 1.5 inch) and nearly as purple as they are orange, rather than the "giant 4" vibrant orange flowers" heralded on the website. I suppose a young plant might have smaller blossoms than a mature one, but will the flowers become a different color when the plant is older?

I have a wait and see attitude toward the Echinacea, but I am very disappointed in the Coreopsis.
On July 8th, 2013, bluesox changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Thanks, I'll try that.
On July 11th, 2013, bluesox added the following:

The most recent bloom on the Julia is orange, so I believe that is the right plant.

The coreopsis is just wrong, though. The second flush of flowers is exactly the same as the first. Not a single petal is bicolor and the petals contain neither of the colors associated with Coreopsis Cosmic Eye. Various web sites describe them as maroon, burgundy, or claret red near the center fading to golden sunshine yellow or sunny yellow at the tips. These are off-white.
On July 29th, 2013, bluesox changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

After supplying photographic documentation that the wrong plant was sent, I received no response.

So much for their guarantee.
On August 12th, 2013, bluesox changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I did receive an e-mail promising a refund, so I am changing the negative rating.
Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 6, 2013 5:44 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Dear Bluesox,
We are here to assist you the best we can.

I know this sounds harsh - but we would suggest that your prune off this first flush of blooms. Our experience has been when buds set when growing under greenhouse poly - for whatever technical reason - may not necessarily always bloom their true colors. Trimming off the first flush will also help bulk up the plants while helping them to establish better in your garden. Flowers will have a tendency to be smaller in size the first year. (BTW - my second year on Julie - just outstanding!)
All the best to you and keep us posted.
Mary & Chris

On Jul 30, 2013 5:43 AM, Great Garden Plants added:

It's very hard to digest your negative posting since a refund had been issued (it may not have shown up on your credit card yet - it takes 7-10 days to process) and an email was sen to you in regards to your issue. Another email is being sent to you direct from our support staff. Feel free to contact us direct at 877-447-4769 - we try our best to work with you and resolve any issues you might have.

Positive debgar71
Granite Falls, NC
July 5, 2013
We ordered 75 plants (groundcover) 2 months ago and they have done wonderfully. They came packaged very well and were delivered as promised.
We ordered more plants this week and received a call from them this morning to review the order so there was no confusion as to what we ordered. We highly recommend
Positive psrtgarden
Niceville, FL (Zone 8a)
June 19, 2013
At the first part of June, I received 6 Echinacea plants, raspberry, marmalade and pink double. The packing was excellent, large, deep quart pots and well rooted plants. much nicer than seen in local nurseries. As a bonus, they all had buds and are now blooming in less than 3 weeks.
Negative phissy
Eastgate, WA
June 8, 2013
I have ordered from them for 2 years. I have come to realize that the actual plants I received were not the specific type I ordered. I ordered dwarf Blue Chip butterfly bushes (at a premium) and last year I emailed them that all but 2 are now 6-7 feet tall!! No response after emailing pics for them to evaluate. This year my Dwarf Shasta daisies are 2-3 feet tall except for 2 that are actual dwarfs. I am very angry that my small front garden bed has to be completely re-done. The butterfly bushes are just the "native" variety and not worth the very expensive price I paid to get something special. They offer "specialized" varieties of plants but, send common types often found at Home Depot for much less money. Not worth the time or effort. Poor customer service. You are better off ordering special plants from your local nursery.
Company representative comment on June 10, 2013:
On Jun 10, 2013 7:41 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Dear Gardening Friend,
We truly regret to hear of this situation and find it highly unusual that you would receive the wrong material. I do want to solve this issue for you immediately if you would email me directly at mary@greatgardenplants.com. Your satisfaction is important to us. Mary and Chris

Positive BobPlant
Melrose, MA
May 23, 2013
I have bought a number of hellebores from this company over the last three years. Always impressed with the plants I receive - all are healthy and large. Well packaged. All doing well in the garden. I highly recommend this company.
Negative Esuffian
Washington D.C.
United States
May 22, 2013
I ordered 9 knock out rose bushes from them and some Nepeda Walker's Low. The pictures showed beautiful plants. The plants that arrived were anything but.

When they came, they were scrawny and the Nepeda looked dead. I ended up planting them anyway. The Nededa's are growing leaves and will be okay but the roses look awful.

I contacted customer service, sent photos and was told to wait and see if the plants adjusted. I sent them a photo and they said "Oh, the roses just need to be fertilized and pruned". That wasn't what i paid for.

I went to Costco and picked up replacement Knock out roses that I could plant immediately and would look healthy from the beginning. The Costco roses do, they are flourishing.

I wish I had read these reviews before I bought from Great Garden Plants. Don't waste your money or time, buy locally.
Company representative comment on May 23, 2013:
On May 23, 2013 6:50 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

We regret to hear of your recent experience with your purchase. It is important to us that you are 100% satisfied. We do take pride in what we grow and ship and want to make sure that we remedy this situation to your satisfaction. Please contact me directly at mary@greatgardenplants.com. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue. Thanks you, Mary

Positive Clayfield
Germantown, WI
May 21, 2013
I have to say, I was a bit nervous after placing my order with Great Garden Plants. I did not receive the usual e-mail confirmation for my order and wondered if the order had even been received. I had also just had a terrible experience with Wayside Gardens so I was mail order wary to begin with.
However, Great Garden Plants had good prices and also had Caryopteris in stock when virtually all other mail order sources I checked, were out of it.
Thankfully, I had printed my online order and when I checked it again, I saw that the receipt stated, I would be notified by fed-ex when the order shipped. Just as stated, I did receive the e-mail from fed-ex, right on schedule when the plants shipped.
I really appreciated the fact that GGP allowed me to pick the shipping date. Nothing worse than having plants arrive in the middle of a zone 5a, April snowstorm.
The GGP plants were wonderfully packed and I received them within a day after shipping. Each plant was carefully placed in a separate, sturdy, rectangular cardboard tube and the tubes were fitted snugly inside the shipping carton.
All foliage looked healthy and green. The plants looked full and happy and ready to plant.
For those who've complained about smaller plant sizes, well, mail order plants are typically smaller than what you might buy in your local garden center. But that being said, you will likely never be able to match the variety offered by mail order sources in your local garden center. Besides, perennials being perennial, they'll soon catch up, while adapting to the conditions in your garden at the same time.
Overall, I was really pleased with my order and will definitely order from GGP again.
Thanks to GGP, my faith in mail order plant purchasing has been restored.
Positive hamptons
Watermill, NY
May 20, 2013
I have ordered several plants and have had no problems. They arrived well packaged and in good shape. They are doing well in my garden. They are a bit pricey, though. I guess you get what you pay for.
Positive GingerMA
West Springfield, MA
May 19, 2013
I just received my first order from Great Garden Plants. All I can say is that I am one happy customer. First, the customer service is excellent. They are willing to work with the customer and was kind enough to adjust my bill to match their on-line price reduction that happened after my initial order was placed. Second, I can't believe the size of the shrubs I received. One of my items was a "Limelight" hydrangea which I had also placed an on-line order with another GW Top 30 nursery. The size of plant from GGP is at least 3 times larger, and for the same price! My Bloomerang lilac and Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea, which were on sale, are at least a foot tall and quite bushy. I am extremely pleased with this order and I expect myself to be a repeat customer with GGP.
Positive FrvrGardener
Manitowoc, WI
May 8, 2013
I had Great experience with Great Gardens, and this was my first time ordering from them. My order for Beauty of the Moscow lilac and Zepherine climbing rose arrived healthy, well packed and included bonus matchstick mums, that are quite tall flowers and yet they all survived shipping, not a limb was broken...the order shipping time was accommodated to my needs, the plants were well packed in individual cartoons and then in box, and the folks were very helpful when I needed to ask some questions. People get upset that sometimes order arrives misshaped. I would note that in my years of shopping online for material goods I have seen the best of the packages being busted- it simply comes down to who and how handles it during transit. Ordering live plants over the mail always has risk. I am very pleased with Great Garden Plants. My lilac bush is already looking good in its spot, the mums were planted yesterday and covered with row cover for a few days for better acclimatization and I am yet to plant rose bush...thank you, Chris and Mary, for making my garden prettier!
Neutral DeeAda4828
Beverly Hills, MI
September 13, 2012
Posted on September 11, 2012, updated September 13, 2012
My order 74907A
My great granddaughter was so excited waiting for her plants: A knock out rose, Clematis paniculata and clematis rosemoor. It was a $57.00 order which is not much compared to some here but still....
I'd call it false advertisement. Description of plants: very VERY small plants and the clematis rosemoor dead.
The knock out rose a joke. It was a tiny plant in a 2 qt bucket and its going to take years for it to grow to a point where it well be noticed at all. (if and when)
I wrote great garden plants several times but to no avail.
I ended up going to Lowes and buying a big knock out rose for the same price and a couple of other plants. Save you money folks. This place is a not on the up and up.
On September 13th, 2012, DeeAda4828 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Update: great garden plants contacted me. They want to make good on the little bitty plants. That is commendable !! So I've changed my review from negative to neutral.
A company that tries to make amends is worth a second chance and I'll give anyone that. Thank you great garden plants.
Company representative comment on September 11, 2012:
On Sep 11, 2012 10:02 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Greetings!
I'm so sorry to hear of your recent experience with our products. I regret we were unable to find any information in file that you had contacted us - so Heidi is calling you today to resolve this issue with you TODAY! Your satisfaction is very important to us and we do take pride in the quality of our plants. We look forward to talking with you and resolving any issues regarding your recent purchase.
Have a great day!

Negative haleighbob
Van Buren, IN
September 6, 2012
I puchased twice from them this year and both times I was suppose to get a free Matchstick Mum with my order. I did not recieve it with either order and just figured it would be closer to fall. I contacted them to see when it would ship and Megan replied "In regards to orders #121840229 and 19900829. When these orders were shipped out the Free Mum Matchsticks did not pass quality control. Chris and Mary upgraded all orders by adding a Free Pink Lemonade Tree to the orders; taking the place of the Free Mum"

I emailed her back and asked what a pink lemonade tree was and I did not recieve anything extra her reply was
"In regards to orders #121840229 and 19900829. I apologize that you did not receive the upgraded plant, at this time since the order was shipped in July I am unable to just send out the Free Mum. I am though able to add a Free Mum to a new order and have it shipped out at that time."
They should not advertise free if they don't want to send free.

Company representative comment on September 6, 2012:
On Sep 6, 2012 2:36 PM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Hello,
I do regret we did certainly have a crop issue with a free MUM Matchstick that we were giving away with orders earlier this year. On the rare occasion of this happening, we try substitute an item that is of equal or great value than the free item we are offering.

In checking our records, we did upgrade to a more expensive free plant, namely Blueberry Pink Lemonade as a replacement for the Mum Matchstick which at that time was currently unavailable. This was sent to you at no charge with one of your orders. If I am in error on this information, please let me know.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we do our best to resolve any issues.
Sincerely,

Negative admin5467
Cedar Park, TX
July 3, 2012
I had the same experience as most of the negative responses, very small and under developed. Nothing like advertised or the video of Chris shaking the plant in a pot to show how strong and developed the plants are. When I took the plants out of the pots there were no visible roots, even after digging into the soil there were barely any roots.

Bottom line, our $444 purchase came in two shipments separated by a month or more and part of the order was canceled because of "crop failure"... I planted what I received, when most of them failed I went to my local Home Depot and purchased less than $200 worth of plants (same coverage), all of which survived and are doing well, giving nice flowers and growth.

I did get a refund on what was cancelled and part of the last shipment, but was that sufficient for my efforts to plant and save these undersized seedlings or time lost?

No. I would have saved time and money shopping locally.
Positive Laurrai
Seneca, SC
June 22, 2012
I just received the six hostas I ordered and am so pleased I needed to let you know.  I am very impressed with the packaging of the plants.  The individual cardboard containers, the plastic bags that the pots were in...all arrived without any sign of the long trip!  The leaves weren't wilted or damaged and the plants are a good size...just as the video described them.

I know this company has had some mixed reviews out there and I was honestly a bit concerned about taking the risk and purchasing from them, but I can say, the plants are perfect!

The only thing I was surprised with was that I ordered them on June 8th and had a FedEx ship date of June 18th...longer than I expected but if waiting a bit longer to get a better plant, packed well..then I'll wait.
Neutral angelacm
Deer Park, TX
June 13, 2012
The size of their plants are misrepresented. Attempts at secure packaging was there but several plants still arrived outside of their containers. Some that managed to stay in their containers were dry while others were moist (of same plant type). When I called to report the arrival situation - I had to provide pictures and file a claim with the shipping company. I held on to hope because they were all perennials and I had their guarantee to fall back on. Several plants passed away and the reship had to be delayed because of our summer’s heat. Greatgardenplants never told me that the reshipped plants would then be the final part of their guarantee. Several of the reshipped products also arrived outside the containers, some dry and some wet and only one of the three Echinacea survived the transport. Again I held on to hope because they were perennials and I thought I still had the guarantee. After spring I noticed several of the plants were not showing signs of survival. We had a very mild winter. In March I contacted them to announce the sad reality. They told me to take pictures and then wait 3-4 week to see if things improved. I did. I was then told to take more pictures and email them in so my claim could be processed. When it was all said and done they wouldn’t reship the Echinacea plants again nor offer a refund on those. Also I was told that I couldn’t exchange the value of the other lost plants towards hardier plants. I did receive a partial refund but with all the time invested it doesn’t balance.
Negative Get_growing
Dallas, TX
June 4, 2012
Shipping date delayed 2 or 3 times. Roots of most plants received are only moderately established, so some plants didn't make it. Bad value for the price. Advise purchasing elsewhere. Stick with Watchdog top-rated sellers.
Company representative comment on June 6, 2012:
On Jun 6, 2012 8:17 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Hello
Read your post and would like to know more about your recent experience. Please drop me a line at your convenience at mary@greatgardenplants.com so we can have a better understanding of the nature of the problem
We want you to be 100% delighted and if not, we'll refund or replace any plants that you have an issue with.
Thank you for your time.

Positive Philly
Philadelphia, PA
May 17, 2012
I ordered a Meyer Lemon tree and was truly impressed. It was large and healthy. I would certainly buy from them again.
Positive flutistgardener
Perkasie, PA
May 13, 2012
I ordered numerous plants back in February for April shipment, after reading the review on the watchdog. The plants were all a generous, healthy size for mail-order plants. Packaging was excellent. One item was on backorder- I received an email explaining why 2 weeks prior to shipment of the rest of the order, and received exactly when promised 2 weeks after the original shipment. Very pleased with my order. For those not happy with the plant sizes they received, my assumption is that they are new to mail-order plants and were maybe used to the sizes that you would expect at your local nursery. BTW, it's now May, with a very hot spring, and EVERY plant has survived.
Negative faithstep
Nashville, IN
May 6, 2012
After reviewing Chris's videos at Great Garden Plants for about 2 months and reading their reviews on this site, I finally took the online plant buying plunge. My first order was $730, which I felt was a substantial order.

The size of their plants are GROSSLY misrepresented on their videos. Most of the plants I receive were tiny compared to what they claim they send. Some of the Heurcheras are a down right joke. Also a Japanese Maple was basically a 18" stick with barely visable green leaves. The only thing half way acceptable was creeping jenny ground cover and how can you get that wrong.

I called and complained and the lady was very rude. I wanted to send some of them back. However, after learning about the 10% restocking fee and figuring the cost of shipping charges, it was not worth it. I explained the plants were very small and insubstantial - nothing like their vidoes. She started arguing with me and said they didn't send plants out that weren't a certain size. I sent her pictures but have not heard back.

I did receive all but a Limelight Hydrangea on time. However, when I did get it, it was the smallest Hydrangea yet!

After my experience with this company, I am wondering if some of their positive feedbacks are legit. I will never again buy a plant online. I was hoping I could post my pictures online here for all to see but doesn't look like I can.
Company representative comment on May 7, 2012:
On May 7, 2012 10:14 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Dear Faithstep,
Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. I truly want to know more! We are stickler's for quality and want to resolve this immediately with you. Would you be so kind to email me at mary@greatgardenplants.com along with your Name and phone #.
Our plants have been getting fuller and fuller on top as they are breaking out of dormancy - you'll find well established roots systems - which is the key to your garden success.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

Negative katybanning
Owasso, OK
May 3, 2012
I received my plants today. Pretty quick shipping, very pleasing!

Ordered several "2 gallon" hydrangeas for my mom, sister in law and mother in law-
Sadly they were not near as big as their ad & website boldly boasts. Got free matchsticks but they were pretty much dead. They had brown spots on what was left of any leaves... I ordered the 'deal of the day', a Cityline Paris Hydrangea, my husband threw it away before i even got home because it looked so bad. I tried to get it out of the dumpster to have a look but it was too far down. It must've looked pretty bad for my not gardening husband to notice it was not plantable.

Other than that, none of the plants were in even a gallon size pot and they were all very, very skimpy and limp upon arrival. I emailed Chris & Mary, I guess they are the owners. Their ad says they stand behind their plants but I have not heard from either one of them nor anyone else at Great Garden Plants!!!
I am totally disappointed. That was my first & last attempt at online plant ordering. Sadly, I've seen better looking plants at Wal~Mart.
Company representative comment on May 4, 2012:
On May 4, 2012 8:58 AM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Dear Katy,
Wow, I was really surprised to read your email and would love to learn more since I just talked to a customer about how beautiful the Hydrangeas looked this year. (we grow them in a 2 quart pot - not a gallon) I checked my spam folder and did not see an email from you.
Certainly, we stand behind our Risk Free Guarantee and want to make the situation right with you - whatever it takes. I will try to contact you today to resolve this. Mary

Positive lsb000
Madison, NC
April 29, 2012
Good selection and they have good customer service. I have purchased many Hydrangeas and Echinaceas from them over the past few years and everything is doing great. Really good specials too. I will buy from them every year.
Positive DexGarden
Des Plaines, IL
April 26, 2012
I bought plants from several on-line companies this spring for my new house. Great Garden Plants' prices are competitive, though not the cheapest. When my first order arrived, I was surprised by the over-sized box. Inside were individual cardboard tubes for each quart-sized container. When I slid a Hosta Great Expectations out of its tube, the yellow and blue-green leaves sprang out like a magic trick. I actually said, "Wow!" I've ordered from them twice more, and the plants ship during the week selected on the web-site. I particularly liked the beautiful condition and color of the Dicentra Burning Hearts (blooms intact), and the large, healthy Pink Lemonade Blueberry plant (the stem is 3/8" thick!). My last order included a Brilliance fern that, a day after planting, has settled to nearly two feet wide, and has new fronds unfurling. I highly recommend Great Garden Plants for its large, high-quality plants and outstanding shipping methods.
Positive stormcloud
Yonkers, NY
April 20, 2012
Posted on April 21, 2010, updated April 20, 2012
Posted on May 8, 2008, updated April 21, 2010
Appears to be a very disreputable company. Placed order March 9th, 2008. Confirmation scheduled ship date as 4/21-4/28.
Charge to be placed when order is shipped. Order still not shipped 5/8 and charge has been posted to my account.
They do not respond to emails.
I wrote to cancel order and owner called Saturday 5/3. She offered me 20% discount to accept order and said it would be shipped right away. I agreed.
Order has still not been shipped. 5/8.
Once again no response to email.
I WOULD STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY.
On May 8th, 2008, stormcloud changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Plants arrived today. Cyber crossing as I never got e mail confirming shipping. I have totally never seen such gorgeous big, healthy looking plants come from a mail/internet order company. Mary called to be certain they had arirved and I am totally impressed with these awsome plants !
I will be buying here again. :-)
On October 30th, 2008, stormcloud changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Ordered more plants for fall planting. Usual issue....plants arrived and they were big and beautiful.
Then noticed one was missing. Wrote company and was told it would be shipped soon. Never had they mentioned any back order or delay. Finally 2 weeks later plant unexpectedly arrived. I cannot help but wonder if I had not contacted them if they ever would have sent the missing plant.
I will not be ordering from this company again. If you do not mind all this delivery confusion and lack of notification then their plants are large and hearty. I mind so that is it for me !
On April 21st, 2010, stormcloud changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

This company seems to have come a long way in getting their act together.Shipped in a timely fashion and well packaged. I have placed several orders recently and the plants they send are far superior to the 7 different companies I ordered from this year . Great Gardens sends beautiful large healthy plants and not the little tiny seedlings as most online orders supply.
Mary and her employees are always pleasant and helpful.
On April 20th, 2012, stormcloud added the following:

Great Garden Plants is getting better every year !!
My FANTASTIC order of plants just arrived and I cannot believe the size and quality of them just BEAUTIFUL !
Hard to believe plants of such quality came from an online mail order company !! Now sorry I wastered ordering of any of the several other companies which I have this past month or so.
Thank you, Mary...doing great and have come a long way !
Sheila
Company representative comment on May 2, 2012:
On May 2, 2012 12:15 PM, Great Garden Plants responded with:

Hello Stormcloud

You are my hero...you've stuck with us as we made some very important adjustments the last couple of years. We've worked hard to improve our quality of plants and this year we introduced our BRAND NEW PACKAGING - which has so far been 100% fool proof. Yes, we still have our challenges on not be able to conjole some plants to finish when we want them - but we just keep working on it.

Thank you for being a loyal customer - it means so much to Chris & myself.
Here's to great gardening!

Positive morningloree
Heathrow, FL
April 15, 2012
I ordered Hellebores and Heucheras, my order was mailed in a timely manner and the plants arrived healthy and were well packaged, I did not receive my bonus plants, though. Will order from Great Garden Plants again.
Neutral Albeachrealtor
Orange Beach, AL (Zone 9a)
February 20, 2012
I ordered a Digitalis (foxglove) and got a free mum with my purchase. I was surprised when I got the package how small both plants were. Additionally, BOTH plants were covered in aphids. I sent them an email and they requested photos. I provided the photos and have been told that I will be receiving a refund. Customer service was prompt and polite via email. I don't know if I will order from them again or not.
Positive awb_1
Pahrump, NV
October 7, 2011
Plants arrived as ordered - large and healthy.
Negative JefferyLarry
Chicago, IL
September 20, 2011
I ordered nearly $600 worth of plants. When I received the plants, I immediately opened the box and was surprised at the not so great condition of the plants. Because of their condition, I planted all of them that same day. Within a week, it became clear that a number of the plants would not survive. Nearly 2/3 of my order died during this season and the remaining plants do not give me a lot of confidence that they will survive.
Positive echinaceamaniac
(Clint) Medina, TN (Zone 7b)
September 9, 2011
I just received my Black Lace Elderberry in great condition. I know the leaves are probably lighter than normal because of it being shipped. Hopefully, they will get the dark color I've seen in photos. I was pleasantly surprised at how large my plant is! I am very impressed with the way my plant was packaged.

My Vanilla Strawberry Hydrangea I ordered this Spring is also doing very well. Thank you for sending such quality plants. I couldn't find any of these locally. The plants I received look as good as if I did get them locally, however!
Positive darwim
Redding, CT
September 9, 2011
Posted on August 1, 2011, updated September 9, 2011
Not pleased with my purchase of hydrangeas at all. Three of the plants were what I consider to be bare root in a pot. One of those the root system had been exposed and I'm fairly certain won't survive. Two citylines did arrive plant like but even putting the two together wouldn't be worth the price of one. The snow queen is a few stems with hardly any leaf growth. Granted it has been hot but the plants are not worth the price. I always check the watch dog before buying and at that time July 13th the reviews were good.
The plants weren't worth half the prices I paid and were surely not something I would have bought if I saw them in person. Sorely disappointed. I made them aware of my disappointment and was told they would come back if I wait three weeks.
On September 9th, 2011, darwim changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I felt odd complaining. Mary of Great Garden Plants was very considerate and sent a duplicate order, even though the hosta from the first order was adequate.
The replacement order was what I had hoped the plants would be like. There wasn't one that I would not have picked for myself if I were choosing.
I promised to buy more from GGP in the futuer to make up for the problem order.
Positive CTYankeegirl
Mystic, CT
July 24, 2011
Posted on June 25, 2011, updated July 24, 2011
I bought a lilac and a hydrangea from them. The plants arrived packed well and in good condition. The red lilac I bought was actually bigger and better looking than a lilac I had purchased earlier in the season for a lot more money from a lilac grower.
I'd buy from them again.
On July 24th, 2011, CTYankeegirl added the following:

I forgot to mention, the prices are very good. The lilac was about $12.00; a bargain price compared to other companies & local garden centers. I paid (stupidly) $10.50 for a tiny starter plant from Lilac Hill in NY. The hydrangea was also in that $12-$15 price range. It was very healthy but a bit small & delicate. Not bad though.... I just prefer a larger plant to start off with so it has a better chance of establishing faster.
Positive Lokalia
Breezy Point, NY
July 22, 2011
Posted on July 20, 2011, updated July 22, 2011
Posted on July 14, 2011, updated July 20, 2011
Posted on July 14, 2011, updated July 14, 2011
I ordered from this company for the first time back in May. I diligently researched them here at Dave's Garden (what would we do without it?!!) and was willing to overlook the few negative comments because most folks were delighted with their orders. The trouble began with the delivery of my order... the big box arrived and contained only 2 of the dozen or so plants. I called to ask about the rest and was told that they had all been shipped out. To make a very long story short, the second set of boxes arrived about a week later and I was really shocked. The three "Endless Summer" hydrangea plants were wilted and parched, with a number of yellow and torn off leaves. Two other hydrangeas arrived with no leaves at all, but a few white buds! The free "bonus" plants never arrived at all. I felt that a mistake had been made. I called the company to tell them about the problem and even sent photos of the sickly plants. The reception was not pleasant, and the best I got after negotiating with them was a partial refund for some of the worst looking plants... I didn't get an email response and had to call. I received no apologies, no care at all, and actually, I don't think the woman to whom I spoke believed me. Moral of the story: prices that look too good to be true really are too good to be true. Best of luck to you with these people if you want to try them out, but I'm sticking to my tried-and-true sources because I want a great garden guaranteed!
On July 14th, 2011, Lokalia added the following:

On July 20th, 2011, Lokalia changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Follow-up: I received the nicest email from Mary only 3 days after this posting saying "Your plants never should arrive in that kind of condition - and I want to make it right with you!" Good answer! Thanks Garden Watchdog for helping to get my point across!
On July 22nd, 2011, Lokalia changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I received more email from Mary saying "It is important to us that you are completely satisfied with your entire purchase!!" The peaky plants will be replaced in the fall, which is wonderful. Mary's commitment to standing by her company is admirable and I'm really pleased by her response. Thanks Garden Watchdog!