The scoop on 'Green Mountain Hosta Nursery'

Green Mountain Hosta Nursery

Green Mountain Hosta Nursery has 405 products listed in PlantScout.

East Dover, Vermont 05341 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive sassy7142
New London, OH
July 14, 2014
Last week I had ordered 23 hosta from Green Mountain Hosta Nursery late in the afternoon. The hosta were shipped the very next day and I received them just 2 days later. I didn't want any hosta to add to my collection, I just needed some of the less expensive hosta to plant along the driveway and I was very happy with their prices. The hosta that I received were beautiful. Not one leaf was broken during shipping. Some of the shorter varieties had clumps that were so large that I was able to divide one plant into 5 plants by just separating with my fingers. The roots were massive. I spoke to the owner on the phone and he was very informative and helped me choose the hosta that I needed (color, size & price) The only thing that I disliked was the way that shredded wet newspaper was used to cover the roots for shipping. It caused a mess in my yard as I was planting. I'm thankful that it wasn't a windy day. If I place another order from this company I will request that they use wet newspaper or paper towels to wrap around the roots as other online companies do. I highly recommend this online nursery if you're looking for big, beautiful hostas that are shipped quickly and have great prices.
Positive Casshigh
Cartersville, GA
July 13, 2014
I am posting my comments that I sent directly to Green Mountain Hosta Nursery:
I just want to tell you how pleased I am with my hosta order (38 ordered) that I received this past Thursday. I never expected to receive large clumps or the large plants that you sent. I had brought down gallon size pots before they arrived, and my husband had bought me 10 bags of 2 cubic foot potting soil for potting. I did not use the first gallon sized pot. I had to use 2 and 3 gallon pots and 7 of the bags of soil. It took 4 days for the 2 large boxes of hostas to arrive. Each hosta was just as fresh as the day it was shipped. The roots of each hosta were wrapped in wet shredded paper and placed in a clear plastic bag which also protected the foliage during shipping. A thick layer of shredded paper was in the bottom and top of the box. Not one hosta leaf was bent, broken, or damaged in any way. I am telling all my hosta friends about Green Mountain Hosta Nursery, and I will be a repeat customer. You have a great selection at unbeatable prices. Your flat rate shipping rate is very affordable. Thank you for offering free shipping as well which I took advantage. When one orders as many as I did, it is easy to run up high shipping costs quickly. I will also add that I received another hosta order the same day that yours arrived. It was from a nursery that has great reviews on Dave's Garden and charges significantly higher prices than Green Mountain. The other nursery's hostas looked puny next to Green Mountain's. I happened to order the same hosta from both nurseries. Your hosta was at least 3 times the size of the other nursery and had huge leaves. Need I say more!!!
Positive klgoodwin28
Bountiful, UT
July 1, 2014
Ordered some Hostas 6/17/14 and received them yesterday, 6/30/14. I was a little worried about the lack of shipping information on the website, and had no idea what to expect. I received 4 giant hostas, and they all arrived in perfect condition. They were much larger than I thought they would be, and had great developed root systems. Not a tear or bent leaf. Very pleased --- and loved the 10$ shipping. If I buy more hostas, I will definitely buy them from Green Mountain.
Positive joannjoann
Riverside, NJ
June 26, 2014
placed order over the weekend and received it on Thursday!!!..so well packed and labeled. received a "thank you" as well. so happy I found this site thru dave's garden. highly recommend them. wonderful quality leaf and root structure. can't wait to see them grow! thanks so much
Positive JetGal
Sugar Grove, IL
June 20, 2014
I have been buying hostas on-line from Judy & Michael for several years & I have not once been disappointed with any plant I received from them. I received my first order for this year yesterday & once again their plants exceeded my expectations. Plants are all carefully packed, top growth is always beautifully leafed out & healthy + the root systems of their plants are unbelievable.

Judy & Michael are A+++++ for the beautiful & healthy hostas they sell.
Positive exfed
Germantown, TN
May 12, 2014
Telephone contact with this company was friendly, professional, and informative. I ordered six hosta plants, which are reported to do better than most in my Mid-South area. Plants arrived fresh, well- packed, with full and beautiful roots. These plants thrived as soon as they were planted and I intend to purchase more next season. Ordering from them was a very good gardening experience. Great on-line catalog, very fair prices, and excellent plants.
Positive Don_in_Colorado
Broomfield, CO
November 4, 2013
Just wanted to concur with all the positive reviews here, as I've placed three orders with Green Mountain in 2013. This is a very underrated company that sells very nice-sized hosta with great root systems, and their prices are excellent as well. Order 100 bucks worth of plants, and they'll send your order with no shipping charges. It's VERY easy to get to 100 bucks while putting an order together!

So far, 3 orders, over 60 plants received, and I've been happy with all of them. I intend to purchase more hosta from them in spring 2014. Great company, great prices, great plants, and all packaged very well for shipping.

Grade A company.
Positive kaybee3
Richardson, TX
October 15, 2013
I just received 7 hosta from these folks. It's late in the season, so they had already gone dormant, but the roots were HUGE. They all seemed to be outstanding specimens. They were well packed and received in good condition. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive nls21075
Elkridge, MD
August 15, 2013
I just received my order of mostly large and variegated hostas, and I couldn't be happier. The shipping was fast, and the plants were large (much larger than I have ever gotten from any other company) and in great condition. The roots were moist and very healthy, and they were well packed. I'm very pleased with the quick service and will order again.

Positive sunnysunflowers
Twinsburg, OH
July 4, 2013
Last month, for the first time, I placed an order for three hostas with GREEN MOUNTAIN HOSTA NURSERY.

They arrived quickly, well packaged and in healthy condition, however, one of the hostas was mislabeled. (Correct label, wrong hosta).

I sent an email explaining about the mislabeled hosta and received an immediate email response from Judy Lang and in TWO days I received a healthy replacement.

No hassle, no arguing, no having to send them a picture of the hosta for proof AND not requiring me to send back the mislabeled hosta.

This is the way an excellent company is run and I highly recommend them. A+++ :-)

Thank you!
Positive jfkiii
UNION MILLS, NC
June 17, 2013
Posted on June 2, 2013, updated June 17, 2013
I found Green Mountain Hosta Nursery as a result of a Google source check, then went to this site to look for comments good or bad by customers. I found only a few, however, all were positive, Green Mountain's web site was very informative and their prices were very competitive. They indicated that their plants were field grown, which led me to conclude that they would be larger plants. I telephoned with a few questions , received candid and complete answers and I was given all the time I needed to be completely confident of Green Mountain. So I decided to place an order. I ordered 18 varieties. My plants came within a few days, I inspected them, all were packed perfectly [almost with love!], I was unable to unpack and plant for 6 days. Since they were so well packed in their own individual containers, packed bareroot and protectively wraped , they were still in perfect condition. Well when I actually unpacked the plants I was amazed at how big they were, the roots were huge and went on foreverrrrrrrrrrr. Of the 18 plants 16 were multiple eyes, some as many as 12 eyes. The 2 with single eyes had new ones coming and were both giant varieties. They were all planted on May 22; the roots/plants were so large that they all had to be planted in 2 and 3 gallon containers. Now 10 days later all are beautifully greened up, all giant size in the pots.
Am I a happy camper? you bet! So Happy that I ordered another 25 varieties today. I have been promised shipment tomorrow or the next day.
Michael Lang and his wife do a great job, Green Mountain belongs in a top 5 sellers category.
On June 17th, 2013, jfkiii added the following:

My second order of 25 plants arrived 5 days after I placed my order and again were huge and healthy. All plants were so large that they had to be planted in 2 and 3 gallon pots Of the 25 that I ordered, I was able to make a price comparison of 18 which were offered by 2 other popular vendors. I compared their prices, using the less expensive one and found that their prices were much higher than Green Mountain. The same plants would have cost 54% more from the other sources!
Hey Hosta lovers this is a terrific choice for a good variety of cultivars.
Positive TulipTipToer
Homewood, IL
June 14, 2013
I, too, was impressed by the size and health of the hosta I ordered. Really incredible rootball system. Planted it last weekend & it is looking fabulous. Fast service too. I highly recommend this company.
Positive Batcrash
Peoria, IL (Zone 5a)
June 13, 2013
I ordered 3 hostas on Sat. 6/8 and they are in the ground today, Thur. 6/13. I was surprised at how big the plants were and also how developed the root were. I found the prices to be reasonable, and better than my local nurseries in some cases.

Not only will I buy from Green Mountain again, I am going to send business their way!
Positive officerbill
VESTAL, NY
June 6, 2013
I was concerned about the size/quality of Green Mountain's hostas since most were $1-$3 cheaper than other sites (especially for small varieties).
I ordered 31 small, medium & large varieties. My order arrived in 3 business days. The plants were gorgeous and had large roots systems. They were well packed and each of the 12 varieties were labeled.
I was so pleased that the day after those were planted I ordered another 8 varieties of large & giant plants and then added 2 mediums to get free shipping.
Green Mountain has the largest, healthiest hostas I have ever purchased online and I will continue to be a customer for years to come.
Positive Gardeningman
Kingman, KS
May 8, 2013
I ordered two Royal Standard Hostas, and they arrived today. The shipping was fast, and the plants were in great condition. Each plant was bare rooted, but they were well packed. The roots were moist and very healthy, and each hosta had three eyes, which I believe is quite a bargain, since the plants only cost $5.00 each + s&h.
As far as I'm concerned, Green Mountain Hosta Nursery is one of the best hosta nurseries out there. Judy and Michael Lang do a really great job. I will definitely order from them again when I need some more hostas.
Positive BOSTGardener
Lexington, MA
May 6, 2013
Green Mountain is such an underrated company. I state this as someone who has purchased from and loves that GWD Top 5 hosta nursery based in Cement City, MI. Green Mountain is right up there with HG. Granted, Green Mountain doesn't carry all of the latest and greatest cultivars, but what they do carry are, with few exceptions, heads and shoulders above every other online hosta nursery in terms of plant/root size and price -- particularly the older, classic cultivars. Last year I bought H. Bill Brinka and H. Wide Brim, and the plants were massive. This year I bought H. Radiant Edger and H. Lemon Lime, and again I was floored by what I received. Unless hosta gardeners are trying to keep Green Mountain their best-kept secret, I don't understand why the nursery isn't more popular and acclaimed on GWD.
Positive clafouti
Pittsburgh, PA
April 28, 2013
I recently placed a large order with them, and I could not have been more pleased with the size and health of the plants, the price, and the speed of delivery. I will definitely order from them again.
Positive happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO (Zone 5a)
June 17, 2012
Ordering was easy.
Great selections.
Fast response.
Amazing plants wonderful root system.
would recommend them and will use them again for sure.
Positive GingerMA
West Springfield, MA
June 12, 2012
Even though there are very few reviews on the company, I decided to place an on-line order with the company because it listed several hosta varieties that I have been interested in. I ordered on late Saturday evening. By Monday, I received an e-mail stating that my order should arrive by UPS the following day. As I have ordered hostas before (both bareroots and container-grown), I do have preconceived notion of what I'll get. So, imagine my surprise when I saw a huge box sitting outside my front door when I got off from work on Tuesday. What I then saw when I opened the box was beyond my belief. I was going "wow" each time I took out a plant from the box. Every plant was fresh and the roots were all cleaned and securely wrapped so that they would not dry out. All plants were clearly labeled. Based on the size of the leaves and roots of the plants, I would definitely consider them divisions from mature plants, not new shoots that would still require a few years to get established. I have to say that out of the 3 hosta orders I made with different companies this year, Green Mountain Hosta Nursery definitely has the best quality and size. The communication is prompt. The company really deserves more recognition on Garden Watchdog. I would highly recommend this company.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
April 25, 2012
Posted on April 11, 2012, updated April 25, 2012
I have found a terrific new company! Good size roots, good prices, good packing method, fast shipping, good communication, good selection. :)
Thank You!
(see my pictures on Hosta Forum, 'Mail order experiences good or bad...)

Will do business with this company again!
On April 25th, 2012, virginiarose added the following:

Had to order more Hosta, whoohoo! So nice to get these big healthy hosta's at a great price. Great selection and I got five more that were on my wish list.

(pics on forum)
Positive webwalkways
Coralville, IA
April 26, 2008
This is a great company. They send really large hostas that are freshly dug.